You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

James hartigan.....are u serious?

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
Just jumped out of bed to go and fetch my laptop to make this post, never use the forum.....shows how strongly i feel. Im watching the repeat of the primo...is this bloke serious with what hes saying? just seen 59,00 in the pot on an AJJJ x board....n the fella bets 3k.........thats 20/1 on a call......the bloke called with a king n lost to an ace, how on earth can that be a bad call, hes winning more than once every 20 times. this fella commentating is so card orientated its unreal. has he ever done anything in the game? shudnt he be a presenter rather than an expert? infuriated me so much ive got out of bed to get mi laptop to have a moan at him. so annoying as if hes folding k high there .
rant over, JJ

Comments

• edited November 2009
    YES i would have gone all in ...then when he raised me i would have gone all in again!
  • edited November 2009
    Sounds like a HU challenge their DOHHHH.

• edited November 2009

haha u fold for 3k there do ya scott? i hope he watches the show back and feels embarassed. hes sposed to be the expert..... as for the heads up challange, im about as good playing heads up, as he is commentating on hands when hes got the cards in front of him. rubbish. explains all my 2nds in tournys i spose. u can get all the pros in the world to tell me to fold k high there, i still call!
    jj

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious?:
    haha u fold for 3k there do ya scott? i hope he watches the show back and feels embarassed. hes sposed to be the expert..... as for the heads up challange, im about as good playing heads up, as he is commentating on hands when hes got the cards in front of him. rubbish. explains all my 2nds in tournys i spose. u can get all the pros in the world to tell me to fold k high there, i still call! jj
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    a google to find his credentials for being a poker analyst resulted in a blank result.
  • edited November 2009
    Sounds like a HU challenge their DOHHHH.
    Posted by scotty77
    Are the 'experts' now available for HU challenges?

OMG xmas has come early!!
  • edited November 2009
    lol

HU4ROLLZ or gtfo
  • edited November 2009

James happens to be wholly competent both as a Presenter, & an Analyst. And I don't think he needs to have a pedigree to be able to understand & explain the game. It's the ability to articulate good poker basics that is important.

The Analyst does not, of course, always get it right. I am living proof of that........

In the example Quoted, yes, seen without any context, yeah, I make the crying Call there, because, as stated, the guy is bluffing less than 1 time in 20. But it's a game of opinions.

It's also VERY easy to make mistakes - none of us, certainly me, as you know, are immune to mistakes. Three hours facing down 4 Cameras does not help, but personally, if I mess up, I always put my hands up. And my arms are aching from being up so often.....

I am assuming, by the way, you meant 59,000 in the Pot, not 5,900, or, as you wrote, 59,00. See how easy it is to make simple mistakes? ;)

Seriously, good point, & I'll make Horatio Hartigan aware of it, so he can respond himswelf - I believe he's in Portugal this week.

Keep the feedback coming.

PS - HU for Rollz? I wonder how many times I've seen that line thrown out. Like it would prove anything. ;)

PPS - I suppose I would jump to James's defence, as he's a colleague & friend. So in fairness, my opinion is not perhaps as subjective as it might be. What if I said "well he's as good as Orford"?......
  • edited November 2009
    James happens to be wholly competent both as a Presenter, & an Analyst. And I don't think he needs to have a pedigree to be able to understand & explain the game. It's the ability to articulate good poker basics that is important.   The Analyst does not, of course, always get it right. I am living proof of that........ In the example Quoted, yes, seen without any context, yeah, I make the crying Call there, because, as stated, the guy is bluffing less than 1 time in 20. But it's a game of opinions. It's also VERY easy to make mistakes - none of us, certainly me, as you know, are immune to mistakes. Three hours facing down 4 Cameras does not help, but personally, if I mess up, I always put my hands up. And my arms are aching from being up so often..... I am assuming, by the way, you meant 59,000 in the Pot, not 5,900, or, as you wrote, 59,00. See how easy it is to make simple mistakes? ;) Seriously, good point, & I'll make Horatio Hartigan aware of it, so he can respond himswelf - I believe he's in Portugal this week. Keep the feedback coming. PS - HU for Rollz? I wonder how many times I've seen that line thrown out. Like it would prove anything. ;) PPS - I suppose I would jump to James's defence, as he's a colleague & friend. So in fairness, my opinion is not perhaps as subjective as it might be. What if I said "well he's as good as Orford"?......
    Posted by Tikay10
    Then that would be a huge faux par on your part!! everyone knows there is no better at sky poker than "THE CHAMP" ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Orford has fast become tk's hero and dare I say it, mentor!!!!

Don't ever knock the Big O.

You will have 'grey aces' on your back and TK can be quite scary sometimes!!!
  • edited November 2009
    HU4ROLLZ separates the men from the gladiotors, the warriors from the cheiftains and the robins from the batmen.

For poker is a game of skill tikay, and therefore the best player will always triumph over an inferior rival in a duel of this sort.

• edited November 2009
    James happens to be wholly competent both as a Presenter, & an Analyst. And I don't think he needs to have a pedigree to be able to understand & explain the game. It's the ability to articulate good poker basics that is important.   The Analyst does not, of course, always get it right. I am living proof of that........ In the example Quoted, yes, seen without any context, yeah, I make the crying Call there, because, as stated, the guy is bluffing less than 1 time in 20. But it's a game of opinions. It's also VERY easy to make mistakes - none of us, certainly me, as you know, are immune to mistakes. Three hours facing down 4 Cameras does not help, but personally, if I mess up, I always put my hands up. And my arms are aching from being up so often..... I am assuming, by the way, you meant 59,000 in the Pot, not 5,900, or, as you wrote, 59,00. See how easy it is to make simple mistakes? ;) Seriously, good point, & I'll make Horatio Hartigan aware of it, so he can respond himswelf - I believe he's in Portugal this week. Keep the feedback coming. PS - HU for Rollz? I wonder how many times I've seen that line thrown out. Like it would prove anything. ;) PPS - I suppose I would jump to James's defence, as he's a colleague & friend. So in fairness, my opinion is not perhaps as subjective as it might be. What if I said "well he's as good as Orford"?......
    Posted by Tikay10
    WELL SAID "SHEKAY"  Ooops TEAKAY ...Ooops...TEEGAY ...Ooops TiKay... I dont know what it all means but as you are much cleverer than me ...i agree with you ...Keep up the most amusing presenting! I love it!
  • edited November 2009
    what does HU4ROLLZ mean then? apart from the obvious heads up bit.....
  • edited November 2009
    When will people learn to google!???? Its 2k9 people!

First Google response from Urban Dictionary:

"Short for 'Heads-Up For Rollz' (as in bankrolls), usually phrased as a question. HU4Rollz is frequently used by poker players to challenge other players to play heads-up for their entire bankroll."
  • edited November 2009

ahhh cheers never imagined google wud give me results for a poker abbreviation. haha.  In that case i agree wi tikay that its a loada nonsense !  took me so long to build up a roll, during which time ive never ever played HU apart from final 2 of a tourny, so wudnt risk it all playing a game im alien to. Has anyone actually eva done that then, seriously? or is it just a taunt?

• edited November 2009
    ahhh cheers never imagined google wud give me results for a poker abbreviation. haha.  In that case i agree wi tikay that its a loada nonsense !  took me so long to build up a roll, during which time ive never ever played HU apart from final 2 of a tourny, so wudnt risk it all playing a game im alien to. Has anyone actually eva done that then, seriously? or is it just a taunt?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

i would imagine someone with a big ego has ;) not something i would be confident doing, but then £15 bankroll i may just give it a go lol ;)
  • edited November 2009
    If you've asked the question "what does this mean", you can GUARENTEE someone else has asked it. And i mean anything. It could be a slang for beans on toast and google would have the answer. In fact to put that statement to the test, I tried it out. Beans on toast is cockney rhyming slang for Post. Google begins with the same two letters as God for a reason, we can all go to Google for an answer.

This one is as old as Google itself, but type in "French Military Victories" and press "I'm feeling Lucky".
  • edited November 2009
    No problem ..we like to help confused players!
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    It's been done.... but i don't agree the stronger player will always triumph. If your at a hu table with 2 - 5 % of the roll and you keep reloading when felted then the better heads up player may be able to beat the variance. The bravado behind people that do this can mean that people sit at a stake high enough to get there full roll on the table and in any one session it's possible for the best in the world to get felted (as durr has been finding out recently). This is kind of a mine's bigger than your's contest
  • edited November 2009
    If you've asked the question "what does this mean", you can GUARENTEE someone else has asked it. And i mean anything. It could be a slang for beans on toast and google would have the answer. In fact to put that statement to the test, I tried it out. Beans on toast is cockney rhyming slang for Post. Google begins with the same two letters as God for a reason, we can all go to Google for an answer. This one is as old as Google itself, but type in "French Military Victories" and press "I'm feeling Lucky".
    Posted by Deadluck
    Didn't it used to say 'do you mean famous french military defeats'?

I also hate to think what james blunt is cockney rhyming slang for.

There was also one I recall If you typed something in like 'incompetant' (can't remeber the exact phrase) it bought up george w bush.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : Didn't it used to say 'do you mean famous french military defeats'? I also hate to think what james blunt is cockney rhyming slang for. There was also one I recall If you typed something in like 'incompetant' (can't remeber the exact phrase) it bought up george w bush.
    Posted by Hale72
    Never heard that word described in slang personally and the second ..... well ...... Can't argue with that one lol!!!!
  • edited November 2009
    HU4ROLLZ separates the men from the gladiotors, the warriors from the cheiftains and the robins from the batmen. For poker is a game of skill tikay, and therefore the best player will always triumph over an inferior rival in a duel of this sort.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    Really?

If I ever saw someone betting their entire Bankroll on a HU "test of skill", I'd immediately mark them down as being puerile & indisciplined as to BM.

I've seen the "Kidz" issue that challenge thousands of times, but of course, only from the safety of a keyboard, & nobody ever has the nerve to do it. It's a taunt more than anything. It just that it always tickles me when I see it. Every argument on some Forums ends the same way - "HU4RLZ", though occassionally, they decide to compare lengths of cerrtain bodily extremeties.  

Anyway, my plan was to diveert attention away from the crtticism of James, so as to give him time to anawer for himself, & that little diversionary tactic seems to have done it's job a treat. ;)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : Really? If I ever saw someone betting their entire Bankroll on a HU "test of skill", I'd immediately mark them down as being puerile & indisciplined as to BM. I've seen the "Kidz" issue that challenge thousands of times, but of course, only from the safety of a keyboard, & nobody ever has the nerve to do it. It's a taunt more than anything. It just that it always tickles me when I see it. Every argument on some Forums ends the same way - "HU4RLZ", though occassionally, they decide to compare lengths of cerrtain bodily extremeties.   Anyway, my plan was to diveert attention away from the crtticism of James, so as to give him time to anawer for himself, & that little diversionary tactic seems to have done it's job a treat. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Whats that then Boss, little fingers????
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : It's been done.... but i don't agree the stronger player will always triumph. If your at a hu table with 2 - 5 % of the roll and you keep reloading when felted then the better heads up player may be able to beat the variance. The bravado behind people that do this can mean that people sit at a stake high enough to get there full roll on the table and in any one session it's possible for the best in the world to get felted (as durr has been finding out recently). This is kind of a mine's bigger than your's contest
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Two points there.

Durr "best in the world"? Err......I assume you said that in jest?

But "mines bigger than yours" expresses it so much better than my laborious effort to say it without falling foul of the Mods.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : Whats that then Boss, little fingers????
    Posted by margatemaf
    Yes. Well, no. Sort of. Ish.
  • edited November 2009
    Anyone got an old tractor?
  • edited November 2009
    I like all the presenters ...exept the women ...and im not even gay yet!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : Yes. Well, no. Sort of. Ish.
    Posted by Tikay10
     yes but, no but, yes but, no but, i am now trying to determine wether that was a poor vicky pollard impression or wether the meds have not kicked in yet ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Did not see it DOHHHHH,,but as you say getting 20/1 for the call should be as obvious as a straight flush, I would say whilst on camera they sometimes dont realize whats in front, and engage lips brain to quickly.

Also being a presenter does not make u a good player or a player to play with the best.

Examples being

Ray Subbs - Football

Charles Colvile -Cricket

Jim Rosenthal - Rugby and many more

There are many more examples. 

But hey SKY always like a bargain...
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : Two points there. Durr "best in the world"? Err......I assume you said that in jest? But "mines bigger than yours" expresses it so much better than my laborious effort to say it without falling foul of the Mods.
    Posted by Tikay10
    To make a subjective decision on this subject is nearly impossible - so it is best to use cold statistics - using the last 3 years data from highstakesdb for NLHM and only selecting people who have played over 95,000 hands (not a round no but it gives me a top 10, and lets face it more hands than even Doyle B has played in his lifetime) Players are ranked in $per hand played (they may not play at the same high stakes - but it is the best metric with the data available)
    player name hands  $'s won per hand
    OMGClayAiken  113209 32.86
    durrrr   173048 30.56
    -NoName-  98195 16.33
    sbrugby  96928 11.51
    LrsLzk  111237 11.47
    Urindanger  198780 10.77
    David Benyamine  102342 10.55
    Nebuchad  149455 7.17
    pertos  122761 6.23
    shen  99064 6.18
    And as the top 6 goes Galfond, Dwan, ?, Townsend, Kelopuro, Dang - I think they would all be in most peoples top ten. (Phil Ivey is not in as he has only played 57,000 tracked hands at NLHM)

So calling Durrrr [4 r's] the best in the world is within the boundaries of variance.
  • edited November 2009

Nice Post neeko, & yes, I hear you.

How do you know that Durrrr only has one Online Account? (Rhetorical). His others may be even more profitable, but I advise caution when reading Stats, be they Online or Live. I've rarely seen a a set of Poker Stats that would pass a BS Standard test as "fit for purpose".

But this is the thing. Myths get built up  "95,000 hands - more than Doyle has played in his lifetime"...... Nobody knows how many hands he's played in his lifetime - but I bet I could prove to your satisfaction within minutes that it's a lot more than that. It's just one of those myths that has grown down the years, mainly on internet Poker Forums. And it#'s inaccurate by staggering margin - or, shall we say "outside the boundaries of variance".

A beautifully presented first Post though - may there be many more, & a big welcome to Sky Poker,