You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

James hartigan.....are u serious?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    HU4ROLLZ is a kind of joke thing Tikay - immature humour ftw :)

And yeah Durrrrr is the best.  Well actually i do agree it is hard to quantify.  The best poker player in the world could be a freeroll player who only plays once a month for fun and doesn't realise it.  But anywone who is on a 40BI downswing, like he is during the past few weeks, and hasn't shyed away from playing his opponent or quitting has to be right up there IMO.  He also plays huge online sessions like nearly everyday, he doesn'#t have time to get another account running!  And there are only 2 sites to americans that offer the kind of stakes that Durrrr is interested in.

Also he is now and FTP pro, and after Brian Townsend, I assume they have some extra meassures in place.

As an aside Tikay - who do you think the best player is?  And who is the best played you have played against in your life?  Would be interesting to know if its someone 'famous'.

Cheers.
  • edited November 2009
    I recently folded AQ on an AQ7 board to an all in bet. On reflection it was probably a terrible fold but at the time it felt like the right thing to do. Who are we to guess the spidery senses we sometimes have when playing a game of poker?

It's not all maths and odds, sometimes instinct comes into it too. I've often had hands analysed on sky where the analysts haven't seen the previous action on the table, where I know calling a bet leads to an all in on the turn and it's not worth it for me to call it even with x number of odds. They expect me to do something and I do the opposite.

I'm all for individual choice and opinions when playing - anything else and there wouldn't be much of a game would there?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious?:
    HU4ROLLZ is a kind of joke thing Tikay - immature humour ftw :) And yeah Durrrrr is the best.  Well actually i do agree it is hard to quantify.  The best poker player in the world could be a freeroll player who only plays once a month for fun and doesn't realise it.  But anywone who is on a 40BI downswing, like he is during the past few weeks, and hasn't shyed away from playing his opponent or quitting has to be right up there IMO.  He also plays huge online sessions like nearly everyday, he doesn'#t have time to get another account running!  And there are only 2 sites to americans that offer the kind of stakes that Durrrr is interested in. Also he is now and FTP pro, and after Brian Townsend, I assume they have some extra meassures in place. As an aside Tikay - who do you think the best player is?  And who is the best played you have played against in your life?  Would be interesting to know if its someone 'famous'. Cheers.
    Posted by scotty77
    Thank you Ryan. Yes, we got there in the end, & you eventually made my point for me. ;) 
  • edited November 2009
    HU4ROLLZ is a kind of joke thing Tikay - immature humour ftw :) And yeah Durrrrr is the best.  Well actually i do agree it is hard to quantify.  The best poker player in the world could be a freeroll player who only plays once a month for fun and doesn't realise it.  But anywone who is on a 40BI downswing, like he is during the past few weeks, and hasn't shyed away from playing his opponent or quitting has to be right up there IMO.  He also plays huge online sessions like nearly everyday, he doesn'#t have time to get another account running!  And there are only 2 sites to americans that offer the kind of stakes that Durrrr is interested in. Also he is now and FTP pro, and after Brian Townsend, I assume they have some extra meassures in place. As an aside Tikay - who do you think the best player is?  And who is the best played you have played against in your life?  Would be interesting to know if its someone 'famous'. Cheers.
    Posted by scotty77
    You don't say whether Cash or Tourney, Live or Online.

Let's discount all Online players first......

Live Tourneys? The odious Mark Telscher is half-tidy, so is Richard Gryko, James Akenhead, The Camel, Thewy of course, but I'd have to go for John Juanda.

I need to think a bit more about that question, I may revise those answers. In fact, I'm sure I will. But it won't include any Online Cash players, because I don't play it much, or know them.  They are all disqualified because they are anonymous. And young. ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Hes never going to be another Tikay or Ed but im pretty sure if we were in the same situation as him put under the lights on the spot reviewing hands we would talk nonsense. Just cut him some slack everyone says something wrong at some point. Have to say I think hes a nice guy just doing his job even if sometimes i cringe at what he is saying.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : You don't say whether Cash or Tourney, Live or Online. Let's discount all Online players first...... Live Tourneys? The odious Mark Telscher is half-tidy, so is Richard Gryko, James Akenhead, The Camel, Thewy of course, but I'd have to go for John Juanda. I need to think a bit more about that question, I may revise those answers. In fact, I'm sure I will. But it won't include any Online Cash players, because I don't play it much, or know them.  They are all disqualified because they are anonymous. And young. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    How on earth has James Akenhead managed to get in your list of the top 6 live tournament players of all time?

Please justify? Respect your opinion but don't understand that at all.
  • edited November 2009
    Hes never going to be another Tikay or Ed but im pretty sure if we were in the same situation as him put under the lights on the spot reviewing hands we would talk nonsense. Just cut him some slack everyone says something wrong at some point. Have to say I think hes a nice guy just doing his job even if sometimes i cringe at what he is saying.
    Posted by bluff1991
    Steady on......I defended him, but that's a bit much. ;)*

Of COURSE he's a nice guy. He does a briliant job of On The Rail - which he scripts himself, & I'm told that he is superb at his day job - which is as a Film Critic. His work in Vegas this year was also aswesome, imo, & I witnessed that first hand.

To be quite honest, I've rarely seen him Analyse on 865, but I watched his debut as a Presenter, & I thought he was magfnificent. Given his youth, he has more "front" than many would, though perhaps not us much as Lisa or Sarah.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : Really? If I ever saw someone betting their entire Bankroll on a HU "test of skill", I'd immediately mark them down as being puerile & indisciplined as to BM. I've seen the "Kidz" issue that challenge thousands of times, but of course, only from the safety of a keyboard, & nobody ever has the nerve to do it. It's a taunt more than anything. It just that it always tickles me when I see it. Every argument on some Forums ends the same way - "HU4RLZ", though occassionally, they decide to compare lengths of cerrtain bodily extremeties.   Anyway, my plan was to diveert attention away from the crtticism of James, so as to give him time to anawer for himself, & that little diversionary tactic seems to have done it's job a treat. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    leveled yo.
  • edited November 2009
    "but I watched his debut as a Presenter, & I thought he was magnificent".

agreed,he was authoratative and confident and 2nd only to mr orford,give him more presenting gigs for sure.
  • edited November 2009
    In the words of those pophits "QUEEN"

IS THIS THE REAL LIFE OR IS THIS JUST FANTASY ... EASY COME EASY GO ...LITTEL HIGH ...LITTLE LOW...

Ha
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : How on earth has James Akenhead managed to get in your list of the top 6 live tournament players of all time? Please justify? Respect your opinion but don't understand that at all.
    Posted by daveydavey
    Well the question was a bit ambigious, it asked both "the best" & "the best you have played against". And I did say I would like to re-consider my list after mulling it over for a day or so - it's a very wide question.

But when I finally make my choice, it will very probably include James. He IS very good, almost impossible to play against, he's in yer face non-stop, & is amazingly comfy down the streets. He began at Gutshot, many moons ago, & he was not special then - but he is now. IMO, of course.

I listed 3 or 4 players who all do an amazing thing - you should try it, it's incredibly hard.

In the early stages of a big Tournwey, with Blinds at 25-50 & when the world & his wife (& a few blokes on the next Table) all Call to see a flop, James - & Richard Gryko, & Camel - do this itsy-bitsy Raise to 125, or 150, knowing full well they will get 6 or 7 Callers. And they do it from EVERY Seat - including UTG.

You try doing that, meaning there is 750 or 900 in the middle PF, & now you have to outplay 5 ugly geezers who all have Position on you. Not easy, that.

I will review the List, but I think James will be quite exceptional in a few years, & he will probably stay in. Raymer might get added in, so might Lodden.

I think we can agree that Moneymaker, Gold, Arama & Co won't.

Non-famous players, as mentioned by Scotty? Plenty! Of every player I've ever seen, if I had to give my last £500 to, "bet the shop" to stay alive, it'd go to Tom McCready or Kim Costa. Because they will fight for every last chip. & their poker skillz are wider - MUCH wider - than almost anyone I know. It's not all about odds & gamble, guys like Kim & Tom know what you've had for Breakfast. They, metaphorically get up VERY early in the morning, & have a secret weapon - it's called intelligence, allied to Bankroll Management. No player with poor Bankroll Management will ever be on my list as "best".

Almost the "best" player I know has the worst BM of anyone I've ever met. (He's very well-known). He can spin $100 into $100,000 in a few days, & has done it scores of times. Then he spews the lot. Every time. Is that "good poker"?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : leveled yo.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    OMG.......

Does EVERY poker cliche have to spread to EVERY Forum?

[  ] What a wonderful thing fashion is.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : Well the question was a bit ambigious, it asked both "the best" & "the best you have played against". And I did say I would like to re-consider my list after mulling it over for a day or so - it's a very wide question. But when I finally make my choice, it will very probably include James. He IS very good, almost impossible to play against, he's in yer face non-stop, & is amazingly comfy down the streets. He began at Gutshot, many moons ago, & he was not special then - but he is now. IMO, of course. I listed 3 or 4 players who all do an amazing thing - you should try it, it's incredibly hard. In the early stages of a big Tournwey, with Blinds at 25-50 & when the world & his wife (& a few blokes on the next Table) all Call to see a flop, James - & Richard Gryko, & Camel - do this itsy-bitsy Raise to 125, or 150, knowing full well they will get 6 or 7 Callers. And they do it from EVERY Seat - including UTG. You try doing that, meaning there is 750 or 900 in the middle PF, & now you have to outplay 5 ugly geezers who all have Position on you. Not easy, that. I will review the List, but I think James will be quite exceptional in a few years, & he will probably stay in. Raymer might get added in, so might Lodden. I think we can agree that Moneymaker, Gold, Arama & Co won't. Non-famous players, as mentioned by Scotty? Plenty! Of every player I've ever seen, if I had to give my last £500 to, "bet the shop" to stay alive, it'd go to Tom McCready or Kim Costa. Because they will fight for every last chip. & their poker skillz are wider - MUCH wider - than almost anyone I know. It's not all about odds & gamble, guys like Kim & Tom know what you've had for Breakfast. They, metaphorically get up VERY early in the morning, & have a secret weapon - it's called intelligence, allied to Bankroll Management. No player with poor Bankroll Management will ever be on my list as "best". Almost the "best" player I know has the worst BM of anyone I've ever met. (He's very well-known). He can spin $100 into $100,000 in a few days, & has done it scores of times. Then he spews the lot. Every time. Is that "good poker"?
    Posted by Tikay10
    On the 1st leg of last years Sky Tour at DTD, I was on his table. We were HU in a hand and he bet out about half the pot, I called on the Nut flush draw. I hit the Nut flush, he bets about half pot again I reraise he dwells up and folds.. he shows QUEEN HIGH FLUSH ... How do you fold that?? red-dog FTW
  • edited November 2009
    Fair enough tikay, nursing a hangover ad must have skimmed the "you've played with" bit.

Being a member of the 2+2 forums I expect to be flamed for this, but surely Hellmuth is in tournament top 5? Cunningham?
  • edited November 2009
    P.S The thing about making a tiny raise out of position and it being really difficult, seems plain silly to me.
  • edited November 2009
    Fair enough tikay, nursing a hangover ad must have skimmed the "you've played with" bit. Being a member of the 2+2 forums I expect to be flamed for this, but surely Hellmuth is in tournament top 5? Cunningham?
    Posted by daveydavey
     What about Overton? He will be up with the very best in a few years ;-)
  • edited November 2009
      Well TK  good bankroll management or not ...in my opinion there are only three players who I would listen to if able , the late greats, "Chip Reese' 'Stu Unger' and  the fabulous Doyle Brunson .. the rest aren't even in the 3rd division to these guys and as for 'Gold'  if i never heard his voice again it would be a blessing !!   
     However  Mr Orford (legend) i could listen to all day, and I know he's a much better player than you guys make him out to be !! (2006  Miami Florida !!  I'll say no more)  :))
  • edited November 2009
    got  to  agree  with  u  there  benny
  • edited November 2009
    Fair enough tikay, nursing a hangover ad must have skimmed the "you've played with" bit. Being a member of the 2+2 forums I expect to be flamed for this, but surely Hellmuth is in tournament top 5? Cunningham?
    Posted by daveydavey
    Hi Davey

I dont know if you aware, but tikay is teetotal :)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to James hartigan.....are u serious?:
    Just jumped out of bed to go and fetch my laptop to make this post, never use the forum.....shows how strongly i feel. Im watching the repeat of the primo...is this bloke serious with what hes saying? just seen 59,00 in the pot on an AJJJ x board....n the fella bets 3k.........thats 20/1 on a call......the bloke called with a king n lost to an ace, how on earth can that be a bad call, hes winning more than once every 20 times. this fella commentating is so card orientated its unreal. has he ever done anything in the game? shudnt he be a presenter rather than an expert? infuriated me so much ive got out of bed to get mi laptop to have a moan at him. so annoying as if hes folding k high there . rant over, JJ
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Well, I see your point about that particular example Mr. Dohhhh but, if I may offer my two penneth here, I think James Hartigan ticks all the right boxes. He's smart, funny, enthusiastic about the game and about Sky Poker and is extremely skilled at making complicated things sound simple.

4 hours of live tv without stopping is a long old stint and mistakes often creep in- if indeed what James advocated was a 'mistake'.

Remember of course when it comes to strategy one man's meat is another man's poison. Tikay and Ed, both well respected and excellent poker commentators take completely opposite stances on the concept of min-raises.

As for achievements in the game- well, to name just one example, whatever has John Motson done in the world of football to justify him being given commentary duties on every big match?

:)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious? : OMG....... Does EVERY poker cliche have to spread to EVERY Forum? [  ] What a wonderful thing fashion is.
    Posted by Tikay10
    [x] comments on fashion
    [x] wears burgendy jacket
    [x] forum cliche's
    [x] bout tree fiddy
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to James hartigan.....are u serious?:
    Just jumped out of bed to go and fetch my laptop to make this post, never use the forum.....shows how strongly i feel. Im watching the repeat of the primo...is this bloke serious with what hes saying? just seen 59,00 in the pot on an AJJJ x board....n the fella bets 3k.........thats 20/1 on a call......the bloke called with a king n lost to an ace, how on earth can that be a bad call, hes winning more than once every 20 times. this fella commentating is so card orientated its unreal. has he ever done anything in the game? shudnt he be a presenter rather than an expert? infuriated me so much ive got out of bed to get mi laptop to have a moan at him. so annoying as if hes folding k high there . rant over, JJ
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Blimey - my very own dedicated thread on the Sky Poker forum!

Apologies for the delay in responding, but I've had a busy couple of days.  Contrary to popular belief, I'm not in Portugal, but have been working on the EPT TV shows with Daniel Negreanu.  I'll be on PTP duties tomorrow night.  Maybe, for once, I'll be able to achieve something in the game...

Now, let's deal with JJ's "constructive criticism."

Here's the point I was trying to make about the player's call on the river with just king-high (and I apologise if I didn't articulate this clearly on-air, but Tikay will no doubt confirm that in a live broadcast you're always struggling to squeeze complex thoughts into short sentences): it's very easy to become obsessed with "pot odds" and "getting the right price."  That's fine in a cash game where you can reload as many times as you want, but, in a shallow-stack tournament, when each bet represents a sizeable chunk of your stack, you can't keep making speculative calls!

Now, in the example you quoted, JIMBOB had more than 100,000 in chips and was only being asked to invest 3,000 to keep his opponent honest.  So, yes, it's probably worth the call - just for information purposes, if nothing else.  Although, I maintain the likelihood of the guy min-betting with worse than king-high is closer to 100/1 than 20/1 :-)

I see so many players on Sky Poker go from being a big stack to a short stack - not by losing a massive pot, but by chasing draws, defending blinds, making "hero" calls on the river, etc.  Little by little, they lose the lot.  And it's this "death by a thousand cuts" principle I was attempting to address on Sunday's Primo.  Granted, I may have chosen the wrong hand to illustrate it, so I apologise, JJ.  Is that sufficient, or would you like to see me dragged by horses across hot coals and then flogged with a bicycle chain?  I'm sure Tikay would be more than happy to oblige... 

By the way, did I really make you jump out of bed?  It's actually quite flattering to learn I can have that effect on someone...

• edited November 2009

Nice response Mr A.

But you don't have ONE dedicated thread - you have TWO.

Think the other one is called "so embarrassing - Rant continued" or somesuch.

I think it's fallen onto Page two now. We all put the boot in, of course.....;)
  • edited November 2009
    I've invited DOHHHHHHH to be my friend.

Do you think he'll accept...?

• edited November 2009
    I've invited DOHHHHHHH to be my friend. Do you think he'll accept...?
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    DOH!
  • edited November 2009
    By the way, did I really make you jump out of bed?  It's actually quite flattering to learn I can have that effect on someone...
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Nice response James.

To be fair though, you'd make me jump out my bed. If you got into it...
  • edited November 2009
    Nice response James.

See you on the tables tomorrow evening.
  • edited November 2009
    James is good enough to be commentating on the EPT series 6

Did you apply?

Did you get the job?

Even Colin Murray lost out!! Now there's knowledge!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to James hartigan.....are u serious? : Blimey - my very own dedicated thread on the Sky Poker forum! Apologies for the delay in responding, but I've had a busy couple of days.  Contrary to popular belief, I'm not in Portugal, but have been working on the EPT TV shows with Daniel Negreanu.  I'll be on PTP duties tomorrow night.  Maybe, for once, I'll be able to achieve something in the game... Now, let's deal with JJ's "constructive criticism." Here's the point I was trying to make about the player's call on the river with just king-high (and I apologise if I didn't articulate this clearly on-air, but Tikay will no doubt confirm that in a live broadcast you're always struggling to squeeze complex thoughts into short sentences): it's very easy to become obsessed with "pot odds" and "getting the right price."  That's fine in a cash game where you can reload as many times as you want, but, in a shallow-stack tournament, when each bet represents a sizeable chunk of your stack, you can't keep making speculative calls! Now, in the example you quoted, JIMBOB had more than 100,000 in chips and was only being asked to invest 3,000 to keep his opponent honest.  So, yes, it's probably worth the call - just for information purposes, if nothing else.  Although, I maintain the likelihood of the guy min-betting with worse than king-high is closer to 100/1 than 20/1 :-) I see so many players on Sky Poker go from being a big stack to a short stack - not by losing a massive pot, but by chasing draws, defending blinds, making "hero" calls on the river, etc.  Little by little, they lose the lot.  And it's this "death by a thousand cuts" principle I was attempting to address on Sunday's Primo.  Granted, I may have chosen the wrong hand to illustrate it, so I apologise, JJ.  Is that sufficient, or would you like to see me dragged by horses across hot coals and then flogged with a bicycle chain?  I'm sure Tikay would be more than happy to oblige...  By the way, did I really make you jump out of bed?  It's actually quite flattering to learn I can have that effect on someone...
    Posted by J-Hartigan

Top quality response there sir!! on the subject of making the guy jump out of bed ..... you obviously must be married to make a statement like that lol ;)

• edited November 2009
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Generally, I belive it is more flattering to make someone jump into bed.