You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

James hartigan.....are u serious?

13»

Comments

• edited November 2009

Response to James' post.....

I cant believe my initital post has had 60 odd replies. Ive tried throughout the debate/conversation to explain I went about 'constructively criticising' in the wrong way.

The post was supposed to be based on poker, not having a go at you, so to answer your point about bleeding off chips.....

So many times you talk on sky poker about people trying to buy the pot with min raises/bets and they just dont work. Surely its worth calling for odds of 20/1 (3%his stack) to win a pot of 59k (60% of his stack). It's not going to hurt the guy with chips. The way I lookn at decisions like that is if i call and win, I "bank" 30k and have 29k extra to steal pre flop with, which could increase quickly. If I lose, i just 3x bb one of the nxt 3 hands and take down the 3k back plus abit more. I know this next comment is gonna get slaughtered, but as you said, each to their own, I see the 3k call on the river with K high there as an aggressive call, if only for the mindset it puts you in, and the fact that I am trying to WIN the tournament rather than reach the cash.

Just a point on the value bet made by the bloke with the winning hand. Is 3k into 59k really getting value?

As for jumping out of bed, yes I shot up, and it was late, so I must have been ticking. Haha. I have a mate who can get me so annoyed just by being himself and id just left him, so maybe he was the catalyst.haha. 

I'll search for you tonight I'm sure you'd love a chance to break me. (might even bet 5% of the pot on the river, you'll have to call for curiosity)

Direct personal apology for james, for going about it in the wrong way, as i've said in previous posts i'll think twice about the way i post in the future.

Cheerz, DOHHH

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: James hartigan.....are u serious?:
     Response to James' post..... I cant believe my initital post has had 60 odd replies. Ive tried throughout the debate/conversation to explain I went about 'constructively criticising' in the wrong way. The post was supposed to be based on poker, not having a go at you, so to answer your point about bleeding off chips..... So many times you talk on sky poker about people trying to buy the pot with min raises/bets and they just dont work. Surely its worth calling for odds of 20/1 (3%his stack) to win a pot of 59k (60% of his stack). It's not going to hurt the guy with chips. The way I lookn at decisions like that is if i call and win, I "bank" 30k and have 29k extra to steal pre flop with, which could increase quickly. If I lose, i just 3x bb one of the nxt 3 hands and take down the 3k back plus abit more. I know this next comment is gonna get slaughtered, but as you said, each to their own, I see the 3k call on the river with K high there as an aggressive call, if only for the mindset it puts you in, and the fact that I am trying to WIN the tournament rather than reach the cash. Just a point on the value bet made by the bloke with the winning hand. Is 3k into 59k really getting value? As for jumping out of bed, yes I shot up, and it was late, so I must have been ticking. Haha. I have a mate who can get me so annoyed just by being himself and id just left him, so maybe he was the catalyst.haha.  I'll search for you tonight I'm sure you'd love a chance to break me. (might even bet 5% of the pot on the river, you'll have to call for curiosity) Direct personal apology for james, for going about it in the wrong way, as i've said in previous posts i'll think twice about the way i post in the future. Cheerz, DOHHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Your analysis of the situation is spot on.  As I said in my post, I picked the wrong hand to illustrate a lesson about how to hold onto the chip lead and how not to bleed off chips.

And I'll concede I made a few mistakes on Sunday night's show (I'm amazed no-one's lambasted me over the 'Orford Straight' moment!), but will attempt not to be as tired this coming weekend will hopefully turn in a better performance :-)

Look forward to seeing you on the site this evening.  HU4ROLZ?  Just kidding - I have no desire to break you...

• edited November 2009
    you are only human,,

as i said before,,,you are live and that counts for alot.

I would tho say that more than half of poker players do not understand pot odds.

And it could be worth going over this type of situation a little more when its happens.

I dont think it will get on colemans balls,,so your safe there.

gl
  • edited November 2009
    I is well 'ard on the internet, so...

FREEROLL4ROLLZ!

Think I've got that right........

• edited November 2009
    No one's interested. Typical! Well you had your chance.

• edited November 2009

This turned into a great thread.

An OP which was written, perrhaps, clumsily, a robust defence of & by a man who's well respected for his work (if not clothes-sense), an apology by the OP-er, a dignified response by the man himself, another full apology by the OP-er.

Wow, a Poker Forum inhabited by grown-ups, who have good people skills, not afraid to say "sorry", & the whole thing done with dignity? Now THATS class.
  • edited November 2009

Thrte are few Threads from which there is nothing to be learned, & I loved this......

DOHx7 said.......

"......I see the 3k call on the river with K high there as an aggressive call....."

Beautifully described. That aggrressive call has additional implied odds - because the other players see it & it stops them making bad value bets - "I can't bet now, that idiot calls me with K high" is their thought process.

It's ther same logic many players use very early in a Tourney when someone with a VPIP of +80% keeps betting on the end. You can call with THREE HIGH if it's cheap - just because it gets you INFO. And the whiole Table get that info, & Mr Loose Goose slows down now.
  • edited November 2009
    Thrte are few Threads from which there is nothing to be learned, & I loved this...... DOHx7 said....... "......I see the 3k call on the river with K high there as an aggressive call....." Beautifully described. That aggrressive call has additional implied odds - because the other players see it & it stops them making bad value bets - "I can't bet now, that idiot calls me with K high" is their thought process. It's ther same logic many players use very early in a Tourney when someone with a VPIP of +80% keeps betting on the end. You can call with THREE HIGH if it's cheap - just because it gets you INFO. And the whiole Table get that info, & Mr Loose Goose slows down now.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I see the logic behind this, and it makes sense, but I don't think calling with, whatever the ridiculous odds were, with K hi is going to make a huge difference to our image.

Don't mean to hate, just my opinion.
  • edited November 2009
    This turned into a great thread. An OP which was written, perrhaps, clumsily, a robust defence of & by a man who's well respected for his work (if not clothes-sense), an apology by the OP-er, a dignified response by the man himself, another full apology by the OP-er. Wow, a Poker Forum inhabited by grown-ups, who have good people skills, not afraid to say "sorry", & the whole thing done with dignity? Now THATS class.
    Posted by Tikay10

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be!! it's what we're known for i think ;)
  • edited November 2009

Well i'm glad my rash actions / behaviour has brought some good. Don't wanna burn my bridges with sky poker, i love the site and the tv channel. Since I found it pokertube has disappeared from my favourites.lol.

My point about the actual poker situation i was origionally annoyed about, wasn't so much to do with image, just purely situational. All about making progress and winning tournaments. Saw chris ferguson on poker million last night, call a min river bet with K high from the women with a big chest (who no doubt has made a fortune from being on the front of alot of magazines, maybe not so much at playing poker) , all be it on a paired boared, and take the pot down. The odds were nowhere near 20/1. Was a winning call. Although the amount he had invested was smaller, as well as the pot, i'm sure he'd call with the K high in the example i used. Maybe one day ill ask him when I see him in Vegas.Or maybe not.lol

p.s, just read tikays post and thats the first time ive realised theres 7 H's in DOHH. haha. Maybe there should be 8 after making these couple of threads, 1 H per career mistake. ;)

(YES I've only eva made 7 before this!!!) :)

JJ

• edited November 2009
    .. from the women with a big chest (who no doubt has made a fortune from being on the front of alot of magazines, maybe not so much at playing poker)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    She's primarily an actress (Proper Hollywood actress, not 'romance acting' lol). Check out the film 'Bound' ;-) And she holds a WSOP bracelet :)

• edited November 2009

Must admit was surprised to learn she had a bracelet. Mind, Ive scored 501 in 13 darts, but it normally takes me 30. Every dog has its day. haha. n quite obviously as a hot blooded 23 year old bloke, I didnt mean that literally jen if ur reading. ;) x

• edited November 2009

Much nonsense is talked about Miss Tilly.

She holds a WSOP Bracelet - for a Ladies ONLY Event.

She won a WPT Invitational - for Ladies ONLY.

Female players are no better, or worse, than male players, but single-sex Tournaments don't count for much in my book. Imagine a Poker Tourney where Women were banned, & it was men only - there'd be outrage, & quite right too.

Miss Tilly has now abandoned her fanciful notion of being a Pro Poker Player, & has returned to acting. She is an item with Phil Laak, & has been for some time now.
  • edited November 2009
    aye fot u had pokit kings derp
  • edited November 2009
    aye fot u had pokit kings derp
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    Yep, that was a bit of a bad "read".
  • edited November 2009
    This has been a really good thread, and it has grown and evolved in the last few days.  Who'd of thought that miss Tilly would get a mention, when it all began?

And now we come to lady only events.  I have seen these discussed previously, with the main pro-arguement for them being the opportunity for women to enter the world of poker without the intimidation of it still being a male dominated arena.  At the lowest level, that arguement may hold water, but when we are talking about WSOP bracelets, then there really is no justification that i can think of for lady only events.

But it has got me thinking. Can sky-rich have a word with the sky-bingo lot and arrange some men-only bingo games so we can enter the lady-dominated arena that is bingo? 

ray
  • edited November 2009
    Ladies Events...

I read today that a guy Greg Sessler won the $340 WSOP Circuit Ladies Championship event.  Apparently the WSOP don't  (can't?) run women only events, but they like to encourage women to play so hold these events anyway.  I don't think Greg will be too popular with the ladies in the poker world!
  • edited November 2009

Haha, you go play sky bingo n mention DOHHHHHHH im one of the many faces of sky bingo! :) anything for value, spend a fiver, get 15 bak! (just hope u dnt win with ur initial fiver, then u become hooked!) hehe. Nothing wrong whatsoever in my opinion with male/female only events. They shud do british only/american only/french only/ eqyptian only events all around the world. Man united r our national football champions (altho not for long), they shud play in the champions league, and only them! as they r the champions. why not have a champions league of poker?

there are plenty of opportunities for men to play women, and americans to play brits etc etc etc, Im sure somehwere in the world an a bloke from the antarctic has played cards against a fella/lady from the antarctic....

just a thought!

DOHH ;)

ps, if a wsop bracelet is involves it just kinda underminds the power/sense of acomplishment that a bracelet brings. But who cares, for 99% of us its the money we want, not the bracelet!
  • edited November 2009
    antarctic v arctic, sorry, ants on the mind
  • edited November 2009
    I seem to recall that it was Mr. Hartigan who started a thread about women only events ao we really have come full circle.
  • edited November 2009
    While not PC to hold single s e x events i would think they do a good job at promoting the game to women. The WSOP obviously see some advantage to them. I'll not hold a grudge over the womens event as they look so much nicer on TV lol................ oops i think i just wandered into that male pig category lol
  • edited December 2013
    If I was playing HU4ROLLZ with Splashies, he'd win.
    I bumped a thread from Dohhhhhhh a while ago and it was rubbish.
    This on the other hand is brilliant.

As a relative newcomer, can someone explain the 'orford straight' to me please? I assume he made an error once?

• edited December 2013
    Wowzers this is a trip down memory lane. 
  • edited December 2013
    ugh not again.

Bi-annual bumpage complete.

No more for another 6 months plz.

wp.
  • edited December 2013
    ugh not again. Bi-annual bumpage complete. No more for another 6 months plz. wp.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Worthy of a ban now, even after all this time? ;)
  • edited December 2013
    ahhh cheers never imagined google wud give me results for a poker abbreviation. haha.  In that case i agree wi tikay that its a loada nonsense !  took me so long to build up a roll, during which time ive never ever played HU apart from final 2 of a tourny, so wudnt risk it all playing a game im alien to. Has anyone actually eva done that then, seriously? or is it just a taunt?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

^ how times change JJ :)
  • edited December 2013
    Thread closure sufficient imo :P
  • edited December 2013
    Thread closure sufficient imo :P
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hmmm, how much would we charge for that?!
  • edited December 2013
    Called in a favour from idcu.

He'll be along shortly on 1 of his other accounts to argue with himself about RTR,  rosiedogs real name & 30% rakeback.

If that isn't enough to merit thread closure, I'll get him to link his blog! :D