You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£1000/1month/double or quits - IT'S ALL OVER

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
Good luck Geldy, always nice to see some of these lively diaries unlike my tale of grinding it out slowly.

I'm sure you can do it mate.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    so with dev & garyQQQ near the end of their uber-grinds it's time for something a little different.

i've just deposited £1000 into my account.

I want to spin it up to £2000 in a month

I have tremendous leaks in my online game

1. i play when I am too tired
    2. i play when I am too drunk
    3. I play on my mobile phone when I can't really see the cards.

so, despite this, can I make some money?

i'm an mtt player by choice, but will play cash or anything else if I need/want to.

unlike rancid I'm not expecting this to improve my play, and I would recommend any cats in the neighborhood to make themselves scarce..

Wish me luck.......
  • edited September 2012
    just play a 1 k double ya money  whilst bricking it only joking u have a gd game from what i know as we played a fair bit at cash bk when i had a good roll anyway gd luck in this challenge im sure u can do it if ya disciplined :)
  • edited September 2012
    Good luck Geldy we could play high stakes HU if you want lol
  • edited September 2012
    OK - so I'm not going to get wound up by the forum posts logging you out even when you are still playing and thereby losing your update.

as I was saying, cards not too good for me tonight - just bubbled a tournament where my AK<QQ.

Can't complain though as my KK held up at NL100 vs Qx with a Qyz flop.

Finish the night on 979

thks for your good wishes - let's see how it goes.
  • edited September 2012
    GL Geldy nice to see you back hope you manage to complete your challenge :)
  • edited September 2012
    GL always interested in these kind of challenges so please keep us updated
  • edited September 2012
    good luck Geldy, nice to see I get a mention in op - not sure if it's a negative or positve comment )
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: £1000 - one month - double or quits:
    good luck Geldy, nice to see I get a mention in op - not sure if it's a negative or positve comment )
    Posted by rancid
    Amusing that he said "unlike rancid I'm not expecting this to improve my play"...  I thought that was the last thing on your mind when you set up for Friday Night thread lol.
  • edited September 2012
    good luck Geldy,
    will be an interesting journey and a good read,
    best of luck m8
    :)
    dev
  • edited September 2012

Love the OP, sounds like this is gonna be fun. Best of luck to you.

• edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
    GL MATE BE INTERESTING HOW THIS GOES I WOULD JUST GO TO 5 £200 CASH TABLES
  • edited September 2012
    Best of luck, shame there isnt a VLV final this month, worked out ok for you last time :)
  • edited September 2012
    thanks for the support

played the mini/main & the bigger BH's between 8:00pm & 9:30pm. Shame I can only rarely play the sats for the £110bi event - and if I buy in direct too often this challenge won't last long. Bankroll mnmgt says don't play it - but this isn't really that type of challenge. And when your AK 4bet gets called by the utg limper with Arag - well you know the rest.

anyway bounced around a bit in each but kept on running into the better hand - flush over flush etc - so I can't complain too much. Spotted a particular situation where I leak more chips than necessary - so hopefully I can put a stop to that. But as I said earlier this challenge isn't really about fixing poker play leaks - rather the behavioural leaks I mentioned in the op.

Finished the night like yesterday with another bubble when my 1010 aipf was called by AJs which hit. Picked up a few bounties along the way but thanks to the £110 buyin I'm down to £846.
  • edited September 2012
    GL fella
    No being able to see the cardds could be classed as a leak too far m8. I lauhed out loud when i read it...cheers and gl....
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: £1000 - one month - double or quits:
    In Response to Re: £1000 - one month - double or quits : Amusing that he said "unlike rancid I'm not expecting this to improve my play"...  I thought that was the last thing on your mind when you set up for Friday Night thread lol.
    Posted by Lambert180

funny thing is my play is great, just my patience and discipline that don't allow me to play my A game )

CMON GELDY !
  • edited September 2012
    op leak #1 - so last night I decide to have just one more game before bed - so enter a late reg BH, oh & a 15min timed while i'm at it. the latter I get my money back. the former I go out first hand! utg & +1 limps, I raise 5xBB with 1010, both call. Low paired flop, end up all in, both call. 37o with tpnk, 67o flops a FH and improves to 6666. Sure I'd have got off it earlier in the evening but no patience now.

end of play £835

op leak #2 - before leaving work I get a call that a good friend is having his leaving drinks. Good time was had and a few pints (or more) - then come home for a good night's poker!!! late reg into the mini & main, and play various other tournies including PLO8. At 10pm I note I am playing 7 tournaments. can't focus enough on what I have bet on each but at least I can see the cards and play accordingly.

main no good. do better in the mini until rancid's 88>Apicture knocks me back, and then a while later he out draws me with his two live cards as we were nearing the bubble. (ps rancid it was a positive comment in the op, and I saw no signs of impatience in the mini, other than calling that last hand). 

bubbled the PLO8, which I was happy with as I don't normally play it very well when multi-tabling NLH.

won the sat into Thurs 12k SSBH

won enough bounties in a couple of tournies to cover their entry fee.

played a few mastercash tables in case they were shown on the show. Only one was and it only showed one hand I was in, where I folded preflop ("everyone played correctly so far" says Ryan - can't bring myself to say RyRy or whatever it is). But on the NLH100 my 1010>55 on a 234 flop to make the cash excursion profitable.

left with a £5 NLH & a £22 BH where I cashed in both, the latter being the tourny I bubbled the previous night.

meanwhile op leak #1 re-appears and I late reg for a £5 BH. play for a while before my JJ aipf for 13BB is called by 93o which turns 2p.

So +£53 today to bring me back to £888. If only I had been sober.......

• edited September 2012
    Morning Geldy, nice to get a mention - all in from the bb with 5bb - can I fold versus you, to be honest I just don't fold these spots ever ) You think you can shove into my bb - cmon Geldy everyone knows I'll call super light !
    vegasman Small blind   250.00 250.00 16060.00
    rancid Big blind   500.00 750.00 8980.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

Clackett Fold        
    ChirpyChip Fold        
    Shep27 Fold        
    GELDY All-in   2685.00 3435.00 0.00
  • edited September 2012
    urgh

was bubble but one in the 4k BH semi - playing on my phone

late reg into the main - but couldn't start playing for domestic reasons until 9:30pm - 1st hand I have AKs in the BB and watch it vanish before I can press the "I'm Back" button. Clawed my way back from 2500 chips (when avg was > 6000) to 4500 but that was the best of it. Not helped by having chip leader (>22000) Scotty77 sitting on my immediate left. Played some other BHs including a late reg for the £55 bi 4k 9pm and a velocity but nothing working. doubled up in a 15mins timed my only tournie cash.

gave up MTTs & played some NL30 instead; regarded coming out a few quid up as a big success given the evening so far.

balance £756
  • edited September 2012

from urgh to aahh

MTTs were a wash. i'd satted into the main - nothing memorable.

I played the mini - 25/584 = hardly anything in cash terms but a big plus in confidence after my performance the previous evening.

decided only to play the £110bi Sky roller if I could sat into it. played 2 frenzies - one with 6 runners which I won, and the other with 17 where I came second. sorry IDCU, not nice to bubble I know but it was you or me! so cashed for more than the buyin so had to play. doing good until I overplayed a hand and ended up short stacked. went out calling a 3bet allin on the turn with bottom set vs two pairs that rivered their house.

headed over to cash - played 2x NL50 & 1x NL100 - small loss on the NL50 - one quiet game with nothing happening and the other where I'd lose half my chips, reload & double up - and then lose them again with tptk vs an overpair. NL100 was kinder. won two big hands against the same oppo. First with A high, then with an overpair.

Thanks BorinLoner. I was hoping to win a seat into next weeks open with my epic three verse limerick (on tonight's show thread), but then you come along with all your fancy words. I mean TK with cystitis - lol.

Hoping this thread is keeping some of you amused, if not then I'm more than happy not to hang my dirty washing out in public.

balance £924 (+£168) plus a couple of late reg-ed late night BH's I just decided to play - there goes op leak #1 again - don't expect to cash in either of them.

• edited September 2012
    no probs m8 harsh wanted u to win as u was big stack 3 handed when u had k q vs  other guy k 8 and hit 8 on river if u won that we woulda both made it oh well only done 3 rebuys so didnt cost me to much m8 i do like sattelites tho always playing them and frenzys good for c4p :)
  • edited September 2012
    you were the last person I wanted to knock out IDCU - maybe next time we'll have better luck

meanwhile I ran deep in one of my late night BHs - 2/104

so total for the day is now +£194 making my BR £1050

and for the first time I'm ahead of my starting BR

Shame I have to get up in less than 4 hours .....
  • edited September 2012

Nice one to see you back above the £1000 mark Geldy... it's in the bag now. 5 more of them £200 days and job's a good 'un ;)

• edited September 2012
    Thanks Lambert

Wow my brain must have been scrambled last night - couldn't even do arithmetic - looks like I made £296 yesterday!

• edited September 2012
    Hi Geldy.  You DEF have the game BUT have you got the discipline?  Time will tell?  Good luck, esp with the W/E coming up ;_)
  • edited September 2012

Thanks Glenelg,

Pedantically I can say that I will have the discipline this weekend - because I'm not going to be playing. That is until Sunday evening which tends to be the one night when all three of my op leaks converge as if in some form of nuclear fusion experiment looking for the God particle. No coincidence that last Sunday was when I dreamed up this challenge as a way to try to inflict some discipline on my play. Now it may not have seemed like it, but I was a little better behaved this week than normal. I only played one tourney on my mobile (roller semi-sat) and I wasn't on a train at the time, and only one night can I say my alcohol intake was at a game-impacting level. Sunday, however, I will be back at CERN (figuratively speaking).

I have not even signed up for the SnG champ. Not that I would have played to win, but apparently you only have to play one sng to be entered in the draw for 100 £20 consolation prizes (if I remember correctly). But having only seen that this morning, I would have to play aforesaid SnG on my mobile, and I'm trying to train myself off doing so.

Thanks again for the gl - although when IDCU said the same my dominated opponent hit his kicker; fortunately I had him covered, and it was followed the hand after when I still had enough chips to bubble IDCU out of it.

See you on the tables on Sunday perhaps (you play mtts?)
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: £1000 - one month - double or quits - now £1050:
    See you on the tables on Sunday perhaps (you play mtts?)
    Posted by GELDY
    I play mainly MTT's on sky when I get the time. I try and make DTD when I can.  I'm also trying to learn PLO, Razz, 2-7, and baduigi on another site, but I enjoy the community on Sky.  I play for fun and really enjoy learning new "things".  Keep posting & rungood.
  • edited September 2012
    The good, the bad & the ugly

MTTs - big events - Primo etc - nothing much
    smaller tournaments - pretty good
    i.e.
    GELDY1160001£87
    youknowme02£58
    BENDOG4003£40.60
    badtaste01900001£180
    GELDY02£112.50
    chiptease03£67.50

but cash - so so ugly

played NL100

AA < JJ 
    2nd nuts flush < 3rd nut flush (they rivered a straight flush!)
    etc

end result £625 = -£425 on the day - ouch

but at least I satted into the £25k super roller - might need that as my way out of this hole

• edited September 2012
    Just throwing it out there. But you would need 3k plus to play NL 100 cash. To give yourself the most chance to win at that level. You are underolled currently which can lead to decisions under stress.

If I was you I would actually drop down to 10 NL, 20 NL absolute max until you build back up. You will have less pressure on yourself also and more freedom to play without worrying.

Take care. Best of luck with the rest of the challenge.

Arkham
  • edited September 2012

Hi Arkham,

1. welcome to SkyPoker, and the forum.
    2. thanks for taking the time to provide some advice
    3. but you were not to know that I am a winning Rec player & I don't do BRM. A lot of the time I am sensible (ie NL30 is my usual level if I play cash), but this challenge is not about being sensible, and I've been known to be quite silly at times
    4. the forum is populated by phenomenal grinders like dev & GaryQQQ who have been on epic journies that they are about to or have completed. I could not, and would not be able to compete with their application.
    5. I play better live than online, and want to understand my leaks online better
    6. so I decided to do something different - give myself just one month to double my money - with a sum of money that will hurt if I lose but won't be life changing - and see what happens. stick it on the forum to instill some discipline on ackowledging my leaks and give peeps a laugh
    7. and to have a laugh myself, while hopefully improving my game