You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My first day at sky poker and my aim for the month is 45k points which will hopefully win me 'Cash K

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates.  Over indulging in Desperados and tequila doesn't help with poker motivation.  I get the hangovers from hell these days.

On a positive note, I'm now in the green for the month....hip hip hooray!  Not going to get to excited though, we all know that poker is a swingy game and tomorrow I could once again be considering sending the laptop down the Tyne.  Why aye man!

Halfway though the month and I'm well down on my c4p but planning some monster sessions in the next week.

Profit £127

Points total = 16539

P.s.  I'm not sure if anyone tries to chat to me at the tables but I'm always playing mini view so never see it.  Just don't want to come across the wrong way.

gi all :-)

• edited October 2012
    Yo poker peeps!

Feel like I have spent all day in the play park it's been so swingy!

I was down about £300 playing low stakes but have climbed back to about £100 down.  Feels like a win.

Did Scotty ever give me a shout out on sky poker tv?  Had footy on Tues night so couldn't tune in.  If not, no probs Scotty, you can save it for when I hit 40k c4p this month :-)

How can I improve this thread?  Not sure anyone is reading it so how can I spice it up?   I want to try and avoid posting hands and getting into to much analysis.  Could maybe include weekend mischief, winning/losing bets, live play etc etc... 

Are you allowed to post pictures on here?

I must confess to playing abit of 40nl and 50nl.  Just no action the later it gets.  If the proposed bet I talked about would have gone ahead,  I wouldn't have played mid stakes but just need some late night action.  

Food and break time and might play a few more hours if I don't nod off.

c4p = 18191

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: My first day at sky poker and my aim for the month is 45k points which will hopefully win me 'Cash King' and obvisouly Priority Club!:
    . How can I improve this thread?  Not sure anyone is reading it so how can I spice it up?  I want to try and avoid posting hands and getting into to much analysis.  Could maybe include weekend mischief, winning/losing bets, live play etc etc...  Are you allowed to post pictures on here? I must confess to playing abit of 40nl and 50nl.  . I don't nod off. c4p = 18191
    Posted by Donttelmum
    I'm still reading and wishing you good luck!  Take a leaf outta Tommd's book and tell us a bit about yourself? I'm guessing you're not new to poker? You can post pics yes but as always common-sense prevails.  
  • edited October 2012

How can I improve this thread?  Not sure anyone is reading it so how can I spice it up?   I want to try and avoid posting hands and getting into to much analysis

It gets lots of views, but not as many replies as it deserves.

Agree with not posting hands or over-analysing stuff, so why not try telling us some stuff about yourself, some poker anecdotes?

Railway stories always go down well, I find, as do quizzes about Motorways, Bridges, Service Stations, the London Underground, famous people, good TV Presenters, or even Rich Orford.

BONUS TIME - if you send an e-Mail to tonight's Show ("skyopen@bskyb.com") I'll give you & your thread a shout-out.
  • edited October 2012
    Did Scotty ever give me a shout out on sky poker tv?  Had footy on Tues night so couldn't tune in.  If not, no probs Scotty, you can save it for when I hit 40k c4p this month :-)

I had to pull out of the Tuesday show due to being a bit ill.  Will give you a shout out for sure next month tho....although looks like  Tikay will get there first :)
  • edited October 2012

Don't forget - send that e-Mail to the Show & I'll try & give you a shout-out.

If I may suggest a means of ensuring it gets a mention, railway stories always help..........

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: My first day at sky poker and my aim for the month is 45k points which will hopefully win me 'Cash King' and obvisouly Priority Club!:
    Don't forget - send that e-Mail to the Show & I'll try & give you a shout-out. If I may suggest a means of ensuring it gets a mention, railway stories always help..........  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for the shout out Tikay and Anna.  You guys really know the site like the back of your hand and look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Weekends are always tough for me to get the hours in.  Footy and partying always seem to get in the way but I guess life is more important than 'kings of cash'.....just.

I had a quick chat with Haidyboy at the tables and he said I had inspired him to step up his volume and try to compete for the lower stakes leaderboard.  I see he is actaully top and it's nice to know my thread actually inspired someone.

I have been playing badly and running badly the last few days so down quite abit.

Will update later!
  • edited October 2012
    The only time I've ever seen you come off autopilot is to berate someone for a hand you clearly didn't understand. This thread makes me understand why! Gl with the month, I admire your dedication and you seem like a decent chap. 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: My first day at sky poker and my aim for the month is 45k points which will hopefully win me 'Cash King' and obvisouly Priority Club!:
    The only time I've ever seen you come off autopilot is to berate someone for a hand you clearly didn't understand. This thread makes me understand why! Gl with the month, I admire your dedication and you seem like a decent chap. 
    Posted by daragh1980
    I don't really think it's your call to say whether or not I understood a hand.  You don't know the history between myself and various players for a start.

I think you will find the the strongest berate I have ever used is wp donk and most of the time it is followed with a smiley face.  I have probably typed this 4 times in 40k hands.  I have been called alot worse than that over the years.

Anyway, I appreciate the comment and promise not to type in the chat box again unless chatting when I'm winding down for the night and have less tables on the go.

GL to you sir.

• edited October 2012
    Had a few bad days a the tables which has resulted in a loss of £170 for the month but on a more positive not c4p is slowly increasing.

c4p = 23521
  • edited October 2012
    sorry to hear it - gl
  • edited October 2012
    sorry to hear it - gl
    Posted by GELDY
    ty geldy

Wish I had gone to bed earlier, just dropped £300 :-(

Will sleep tomorrow night instead I guess!
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by daragh1980
    HAHA 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: My first day at sky poker and my aim for the month is 45k points which will hopefully win me 'Cash King' and obvisouly Priority Club! : HAHA 
    Posted by bolly580
    I'm sure there are players out there that vouch for me when I say I'm genuienly a friendly poker peep.  Although there may not be as I don't chat much.
  • edited October 2012
    I was thinking that disclosing my c4p was allowing my opposition to know exactly where they stand v me in the 'kings of cash' promo.  Hmm not sure what to do now....  Any suggestions?

Have been losing bucket loads the last few days which while horrible for my bankroll it does mean I sit for hours upon end trying to get it back.  I even missed a whole nights sleep one night.  Haven't been to bed yet and its 8am but heading off shortly.

I'm not going to hit my 45k c4p mark but things may have been different if I had managed to take bets on whether or not I could do it.  Obvisouly sky have there reasons for not allowing this.

I'd just like to add how friendly I have found the players, forumrites and sky poker staff/presenters.  Big thanks to Tikay and Anna for mentioning me on their show.  Thanks for being discrete with my identity Anna, it was very considerate of you although I really don't mind.

It's my girlfriend's birthday on Thursday so I need ideas on what to get her.  I have no idea and no time to think about it.  It's hard to think when all I can see is poker tables spinning around in my brain.  She likes all the girly stuff and hates poker!

See you in 8 hours poker buddies :-)
  • edited October 2012
    Aint played/chatted with you at the table but from what I've seen in this thread and other places you've posted, you seem like a nice guy so I wouldn't worry too much about the trolls above.

Was always gonna be tough to get 45k, but you've made a pretty sick attempt and there's still a good few days left yet, so I'm guessing you'll probably still get around 30k+ so to earn £1560+ just in C4P for only playing like 20NL - 50NL is pretty sick and it would take a seriously bad month for you not to have made a decent profit.

Take her away for the weekend or something, kill two birds with one stone, giving her a nice birthday treat and gets you a break from poker! lol
  • edited October 2012
    Aint played/chatted with you at the table but from what I've seen in this thread and other places you've posted, you seem like a nice guy so I wouldn't worry too much about the trolls above. Was always gonna be tough to get 45k, but you've made a pretty sick attempt and there's still a good few days left yet, so I'm guessing you'll probably still get around 30k+ so to earn £1560+ just in C4P for only playing like 20NL - 50NL is pretty sick and it would take a seriously bad month for you not to have made a decent profit. Take her away for the weekend or something, kill two birds with one stone, giving her a nice birthday treat and gets you a break from poker! lol
    Posted by Lambert180

Thanks Lambert!  I think you have slightly underestimated me, I will have 30k easily by the weekend.  :-)

Yea, will have a decent profit and will give all the numbers near the end of the month.

I like your suggestion but the only problem is I play footy on the weekends and my manager does not take lightly to players missing games.  Infact, he goes f*&kin mental!

gl at the tables Lambert ;-)

• edited October 2012
    Alot of women like shiny things, especially if they're expensive.

Good luck with your challenge, you're doing a million times better than most of us thought you would do.

I say this because lots of new players come on and promise to achieve something and then disappear quicker than they arrived.

• edited October 2012

Not sure of your poker history, but you have obviously been around a bit, Was just interested in what you thought of the standard on Sky and whether you intend to carry on playing here next month, and if so what challenge you might be setting yourself.
  • edited October 2012
     Not sure of your poker history, but you have obviously been around a bit, Was just interested in what you thought of the standard on Sky and whether you intend to carry on playing here next month, and if so what challenge you might be setting yourself.
    Posted by 68Trebor
    Was chatting to him for a while yesterday and he said sky have the worst players on any site.

I can't comment on that as I never really played alot on any other site.

Seems a nice guy, and I have not seen him berate any players at my tables.
  • edited October 2012
    This thread has really interested me from day 1 , a really interesting read , and to be honest it really doesnt matter whether you were to hit your target , narrowly miss out , or be 10k+ away from it . Your achievement IMO is already superb given the stakes you are playing at. Regardless of how the challenge ends up for you i hope you have a succesful stay with sky and look forward to donking off my stack to you at somepoint soon :)

John
  • edited October 2012
    Alot of women like shiny things, especially if they're expensive. Good luck with your challenge, you're doing a million times better than most of us thought you would do. I say this because lots of new players come on and promise to achieve something and then disappear quicker than they arrived.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Hey Acid!

Shiny things!!! That scares me alot....I have been with my gf 9 years and I'm feeling the heat to 'put a ring on it' although I dodge the subject at every opportunity.  I don't think she would be very impressed opening a expensive looking little box and pulling a broach out of it lol

I'm alot of things but beyond most I'm detemined.  I also think when you go for a challenge like this you have to commit to the month.  If you leave half way through you are minus ev as you don't stand a chance in the promos.

Anyway, for the time being I'm still alive and kicking!

GL at the tables acid
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by 68Trebor

Hi trebor,

I think like most sites sky has its recreational players.  The difference for me this month is that I have only been able to play 8 tables max so I have noticed them more.  Other sites I usually 16-20 table.  I also think that what time of day you play really matters at sky.  Alot more so than other sites.  Late nights and early mornings are certainly optimal.

I'm not sure about next month tbh.  I was tempted to play here because of the 'kings of cash' and the priority club so I guess it will depend on what promo's they run next month.  I can do well in rake races on other sites so if they ran something I didn't like, or didn't suit me, I'd probably play elsewhere.

Thanks for the interest and gl to you!

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: My first day at sky poker and my aim for the month is 45k points which will hopefully win me 'Cash King' and obvisouly Priority Club! : Was chatting to him for a while yesterday and he said sky have the worst players on any site. I can't comment on that as I never really played alot on any other site. Seems a nice guy, and I have not seen him berate any players at my tables.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Hi Plod.

Are you just saying nice things about me so I stay put and you continue to take my cash ;-)

Nice to play against you and have a natter at the same time.  I'll keep the powder dry for you.

hmmm kinda gl to you ;-)  You don't need it!
  • edited October 2012
    This thread has really interested me from day 1 , a really interesting read , and to be honest it really doesnt matter whether you were to hit your target , narrowly miss out , or be 10k+ away from it . Your achievement IMO is already superb given the stakes you are playing at. Regardless of how the challenge ends up for you i hope you have a succesful stay with sky and look forward to donking off my stack to you at somepoint soon :) John
    Posted by acerag83
    Hi John,

Thanks for the compliment buddy.  I certainly have put a few hours in but reckon I could have upped my game had I needed to.  I was unaware of the lag when trying 9 plus tables or I would be super duper priority god by now.  Might try and resolve this problem if I stay next month.

I'm very pleased to hear that the thread has interested you.  Means alot.  Sometimes I don't update as I feel not many people follow it so it's nice to hear.

Let me make it official.  If I ever do stack you and we meet at a sky event the first round is on me.

Best of luck at the tables John
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: My first day at sky poker and my aim for the month is 45k points which will hopefully win me 'Cash King' and obvisouly Priority Club! : Hi John, Thanks for the compliment buddy.  I certainly have put a few hours in but reckon I could have upped my game had I needed to.  I was unaware of the lag when trying 9 plus tables or I would be super duper priority god by now.  Might try and resolve this problem if I stay next month. I'm very pleased to hear that the thread has interested you.  Means alot.  Sometimes I don't update as I feel not many people follow it so it's nice to hear. Let me make it official.  If I ever do stack you and we meet at a sky event the first round is on me. Best of luck at the tables John
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Hello mum. You said you had lag with 9+ tables. Same thing here. How are you planning to resolve this problem? This is so annoying, that's why i'm playing no more than 6 tables. May be it's computer hardware? Do you have decent PC setup? Thanks for answers and good luck.
  • edited October 2012
    Time and tiem again I'm hearing people say they get lag issues with Sky. I must say I've not had lag for years now on Sky.

All you need is a modern comp with plenty of memory and probably a decent graphics card. 

If you put it into context computers must be one of the most +EV value for money objects you can buy! "Us poker grinders" spend hours every week on the stupid things and if we run good we even get money back using them.

If your making money at poker or have some spare $ in your bank just go out and buy a decent comp, around £500 or so is more than good enough, over time it more than pays for itself.

• edited October 2012
    Time and tiem again I'm hearing people say they get lag issues with Sky. I must say I've not had lag for years now on Sky. All you need is a modern comp with plenty of memory and probably a decent graphics card.  If you put it into context computers must be one of the most +EV value for money objects you can buy! "Us poker grinders" spend hours every week on the stupid things and if we run good we even get money back using them. If your making money at poker or have some spare $ in your bank just go out and buy a decent comp, around £500 or so is more than good enough, over time it more than pays for itself.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    A big +1!

All about the ram and graphics card.

It also helps to have a decent download speed.

I tested my speed on bt broadband vs my freinds on talk talk. Mine was 6 times faster.
  • edited October 2012
    Time and tiem again I'm hearing people say they get lag issues with Sky. I must say I've not had lag for years now on Sky. All you need is a modern comp with plenty of memory and probably a decent graphics card.  If you put it into context computers must be one of the most +EV value for money objects you can buy! "Us poker grinders" spend hours every week on the stupid things and if we run good we even get money back using them. If your making money at poker or have some spare $ in your bank just go out and buy a decent comp, around £500 or so is more than good enough, over time it more than pays for itself.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Know what m8? I've played poker for years on different sites except sky. I can play anywhere about 10-12 tables no problem, on a lot worse setup that i have now (laptop core 2 duo, 4gb ram, integrated graphics). The question is why is SKY software is soooooooooo demanding to hardware where Pokerstars for example is not? Ofcourse i will upgrade now, will build desktop and will buy 30" monitor...but that's a joke when poker software is so demanding - IT'S NOT Crysis 3 or SKYRIM.Peace!
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: My first day at sky poker and my aim for the month is 45k points which will hopefully win me 'Cash King' and obvisouly Priority Club! : Hi Plod. Are you just saying nice things about me so I stay put and you continue to take my cash ;-) Nice to play against you and have a natter at the same time.  I'll keep the powder dry for you. hmmm kinda gl to you ;-)  You don't need it!
    Posted by Donttelmum
    ploppy says nice things about everybody while taking their cash its his stategy ;)
    good luck DTM,like flash says get a good pc so you can have a good grind..:-0