You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sunday's live show with James & Jen (***OFFICIAL THREAD***)

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
Hello!

Stand by for another five-hour Hold'em opus on channel 861.

Expect a mix of Master Cash and tournament coverage between 7pm and midnight, with plenty of hands from the £10k Primo.

If you'd like Jen Mason to critique YOUR play during the first few levels of this tournament, please volunteer to be the subject of 'Analyse My Play' between 8 and 9pm. Go on. You know you want it.

Couple of other things...

"Phil Hellmuth is the greatest tournament player of all time." Discuss.

Plus, a competition: marking the 50th anniversary of the James Bond movies, we have a 007-themed poker quiz. Answer a series of questions (via e-mail ONLY) for your chance to win a seat in next Thursday's £12k Bounty Hunter.

E-mail: skyopen@bskyb.com
Twitter: #SkyPokerTV

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Still looking for a volunteer for the 'Analyse My Play' hour.

Also, surely SOMEONE has an opinion on Phillip Jerome Hellmuth Junior?!?
  • edited October 2012
    If you fancy buying me in James, then I'll do it :p

(Don't ask, don't get lol)
  • edited October 2012
    Id love to be the volunteer during the analyse my play hour James
  • edited October 2012
    Phill hellmuth is the greatest poker player of all time because bracelets don't lie!
  • edited October 2012
    Phil Hellmuth is the greatest tournament player of all time." Discuss.

simple answer no   he hasnt got the game to live upto the new breed of young whizz kids ya dwans tricketts mercier etc
  • edited October 2012
    My names donk mr donk :)  thats my location on my alias very james bond lol
  • edited October 2012
    Phil Hellmuth won 11 out of 13 of his bracelets back when there was only 30 or 40 runners in them.  Phil Hellmuth hasnt adapted to the modern game and limps a lot still.  I love watching him on the tv when he goes on tilt tho for a laugh!
  • edited October 2012
    Did he not just win ANOTHER bracelet Donk? Ok, granted bracelets seem to be a bit 10 a penny these days.

I'm hard pushed to say he's the greatest ever, but I think it's a big ask to say that of anyone really. Let's see how Ivey is getting on by the time he's 48. He's clearly got a very strong MTT game, no-one runs that good!!
  • edited October 2012
    big + 1 to bearlyther    there are far better mtts players then hellmuth   hellmuth won the bracelets when the game was really soft 
  • edited October 2012
    ivey vs hellmuth no contest :) 
  • edited October 2012
    Im trying to sattelite in to tonights primo if i do i wouldnt mind u showing my hands for an hour would be fun :)
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Sunday's live show with James & Jen (***OFFICIAL THREAD***):
    big + 1 to bearlyther    there are far better mtts players then hellmuth   hellmuth won the bracelets when the game was really soft 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    On Thursday, he took down the World Series of Poker Europe - generally regarded as one of the most prestigious, and toughest tournaments to win!

He's the only player to have won WSOP main events on both sides of the Atlantic.

He won three bracelets during the "boom" years at the WSOP in Vegas (2006, 2007 and 2012).

Is he really only able to beat small/soft fields? Is he just lucky?
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Sunday's live show with James & Jen (***OFFICIAL THREAD***) : On Thursday, he took down the World Series of Poker Europe - generally regarded as one of the most prestigious, and toughest tournaments to win!   He's the only player to have won WSOP main events on both sides of the Atlantic. He won three bracelets during the "boom" years at the WSOP in Vegas (2006, 2007 and 2012). Is he really only able to beat small/soft fields? Is he just lucky?
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Thank you for formulating a much better response than I could have. It annoys me when people are so eager to say the golden oldies are 'past it'.
  • edited October 2012
    just an opinion i see alot of poker and from what i see dunno how he wins so much i think there are far better mtt players jason mercier is 1 of the best imo
  • edited October 2012
    HIS CASHES & BRACELETS SURELY SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES HES GOTO BE 1 OF THE BEST OF ALL TIME PLUS HE WON A NON HOLDEM BRACELET THIS YEAR TO SHOW HIS ALL ROUND GAME...WAS READING A BLOG FROM DANIEL NEGREANU & HE SAID PHIL H. HAD CHANGED HIS PLAY STYLE & THEY WAS FINDING IT HARD TO READ HIS GAME THIS WEEK...WOULD BE A BRAVE MAN TO SAY HE WILL NEVER WIN ANOTHER WSOP BRACELET...

P.S COME ON JAMES IM SURE YOU COULD PULL A FEW STRINGS & GET EITHER PHIL OR DANIEL ON THE SHOW WHEN THEY ARE IN LONDON SOMETIME
  • edited October 2012
    this topic will be like marmite u either love hellmuth and sorry im a hater not jealousy just think pure poker there are far better players then hellmuth in any cash game dwan would own hellmuth :)
  • edited October 2012
    loved the hand he lost to against bradle wiggins when that run it 4 times think hellmuth had a9 on a 993 flop i believe and wiggins had kk they ran it 4 times and wiggins won 3 of them did make me laugh
  • edited October 2012
    Hi there been playing poker on the small level games on sky on and off for a while now but plucked up the courage to swim with the sharks and play the Primo tonight would appreciate it if you could show a hand or 2 and show me where im going right or wrong.
  • edited October 2012

James, I think you've hedged by using the phrase 'all time' as it implies he is not, and I hate using this phrase, 'at the top of his powers' right now  If you really want to light the blue touch paper, how about suggesting that on the back of the last two World Series in Vegas, the WSOPE Main Event win this week, being right up there in the 'Player of the Year standings in 2011 and having a very good chance of winning that title this year, Phil Hellmuth is the current best tournament poker player in the world.

Personally I think he has had a renascence in recent times, really improved his all round poker game and is one of the best live tournament players out there right now.  I also think that many of the 'Poker Brat' antics relate to how many television cameras are on him at the time.  I wouldn't say the best of all time, but then again I wouldn't call anyone that, it's just too subjective and the poker landscape changes on a near monthly basis.

• edited October 2012
    yes  you can analise my hands if you wish the only thing is will i still be in for the whole hour lol
  • edited October 2012
    phil hellmuth doesnt get the recognition and respect he deserves due to his bahaviour on tv but thats all showbiz and he plays thats side well. many players say hellmuth never moans at a non tv table. ive read a few of his books and he puts in alot of work and earned his place in poker. for people who say he won his bracelets before the massive feilds well makes no difference or anyone could argue England won world cup before it was as tough as it is now or real madrid dont deseve recognition for wining as many european cups as they won alot at start of the competition. hellmuth has survived in the game when it wasnt as popular and through the boom and still winning and deserves the rocognition as one of the very best if not the best tournament player. p.s. in a recent interview with hellmuth he does explain he basicaly is a part time player now as he concentrates more on other interests and bisinesses he runs yet he still won 2 bracelets this year
  • edited October 2012
    Sorry had originally asked for my play to be analysed tonight but haver to nip out of the house for a bit now so go ahead and analyse idonkcallu hopefully i can do it next week.
  • edited October 2012
    Hey James, you kind of misunderstood the first line of my previous post.  The point I was trying to make was that poker is almost unique in the fact that as the game is currently as tough as it ever has been, being called the best right now is a stronger compliment than saying best of all time.

Last point from me on Phil, I'd love his money.
  • edited October 2012
    ivey vs hellmuth no contest :) 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    all round ivey better but if you going to be comparing the two you can say ivey cant play hold em tournaments as he has never won a nlh bracelet
  • edited October 2012
    HI RICHARD AND JEN no mini tnite 50 odd in the primo so far as opposed to 300 plus runners in the mini kings of cash overrun by multi-table grinders dropping down a level or two, (scottys quest exculded top man, (much as i love sky is this the level playing field they envisaged when devising what should be a top promotion ?) also just to clarify with my shifts i knew i wouldnt feature, so its my personal observation hope im wrong, pass on my best to all and may the best man, lady win BUT AT THEIR NORMAL LEVEL.
    PHIL HELMUTH STATS DO THEY LIE?, PUT 6 POKER PLAYERS IN A ROOM AND YOU,LL HAVE 6 DIFFERENT OPINIONS LOL, hope i dont sound like im a moaning old grump!
    HAVE A GREAT SHOW
  • edited October 2012
    i didnt sattelite in sigh im not paying £55 out of my bankroll 
  • edited October 2012
    I think the best mtt player of 2012 has gotta be jason mercier when ever i seen him play he has loads of chips and always runs deep in big events 
  • edited October 2012
    I think Phil Hellmuth is the best player but his rants do upset some players personally I would love to sit and play poker with him and learn from the best 
  • edited October 2012
    i love satellite sunday

in primo for £11
    in 5k bh for £9.60
    in spt semi for £9.60

great value day ;)
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Sunday's live show with James & Jen (***OFFICIAL THREAD***) : On Thursday, he took down the World Series of Poker Europe - generally regarded as one of the most prestigious, and toughest tournaments to win!   He's the only player to have won WSOP main events on both sides of the Atlantic. He won three bracelets during the "boom" years at the WSOP in Vegas (2006, 2007 and 2012). Is he really only able to beat small/soft fields? Is he just lucky?
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    what an out standing player he is

very very good at the game

very entertaining to watch

if it wasnt for him and negranu the popularity of the game would be 10_15 years behind where it is now
    he compleatly out played the other players when it got to the final 4 in that game the other night

so he limps into a few pots obviousley that isnt a losing stratgey