You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£5 DYM....Target 5K..b/roll £1,161.69

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Great to see you're holding your own at the £5s now Dev. I always think it's funny that people say DYMs are the lowest variance but even still with the edge in the games and the rake, it's easy to go on some pretty sick downswings.

Playing 9 tables, about half of which are £5s you must be earning some pretty sick C4P. I'm pretty happy with the rate I earn C4P @ £5 Hypers, and the rake is double that on £5 DYMs and I certainly aint 9tabling hypers lol.

Think you could earn a couple of hundred in C4P from them.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: £5 DYM....looking good so far>:
    Great to see you're holding your own at the £5s now Dev. I always think it's funny that people say DYMs are the lowest variance but even still with the edge in the games and the rake, it's easy to go on some pretty sick downswings. Playing 9 tables, about half of which are £5s you must be earning some pretty sick C4P. I'm pretty happy with the rate I earn C4P @ £5 Hypers, and the rake is double that on £5 DYMs and I certainly aint 9tabling hypers lol. Think you could earn a couple of hundred in C4P from them.
    Posted by Lambert180
    hi Paul,
    yes,c4p i'm able to get 4000 quite comfortably and with a full months play even 5000/6000 is very possible.
    i could earn more if i went back to 12/15 tables but i think 9 seems to be just about the number most of the top grinders play,so i'm simply following suit i guess.
    i definately think playing less tables has helped with developing my game, so i guess i'll continue with it.
    yes,it's not easy breaking even especially if you hit a downswing.having to make 55% is no gimmie that's for sure.
    i've not played any hypers but i know that you like them and do well playing them.
    hope you are still enjoying playing the cash tables.best wishes.
    :)
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    Speaking from a £5 DYM vet, pretty insane result to be fair. Gl my friend. 
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: £5 DYM....still there,grinding.:
    Speaking from a £5 DYM vet, pretty insane result to be fair. Gl my friend. 
    Posted by patwalshh
    ty Pat,
    hope your cash endeavors are going well,
    gl mate,
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    saturday
    10'11'12

sticking with my game plan of playing 4/5x£5 & 4/5x£3
    made another change though,that being i'm now looking to 'book the win' whenever i can.
    i know this goes against what everyone has told me.
    but i am happy to continue doing it for the time being anyway and see where it takes me.

so far...
    thursday  lost £17.10  1st session
                  won £30.50  2nd session

friday   won  £5.80  1st session
               won  £17.20 2nd session

saturday  won  £5.50 1st session
                  won  £5.90 2nd session

b/roll  £948.01  c4p 1505

anyway,that brings me up to date.
    b/roll is going forwards and hopfully soon be back to £1000

nite nite
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    saturday 10'11'12 sticking with my game plan of playing 4/5x£5 & 4/5x£3 made another change though,that being i'm now looking to 'book the win' whenever i can. i know this goes against what everyone has told me. but i am happy to continue doing it for the time being anyway and see where it takes me. so far... thursday  lost £17.10  1st session               won £30.50  2nd session friday   won  £5.80  1st session            won  £17.20 2nd session saturday  won  £5.50 1st session               won  £5.90 2nd session b/roll  £948.01  c4p 1505 anyway,that brings me up to date. b/roll is going forwards and hopfully soon be back to £1000 nite nite dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    The £5.50s must havebecome ridiculously soft in my absence.. Haha only joking Dev, very well deserved. I wish you the best in the future.  
  • edited November 2012
    HI m8 good results getting tougher these though im slowly increasing volume as weather gets worse so less golf lol so 1 more reg at this level :-) bankroll slowly increasing but also noticed the legendary john conner playing this level too now so times must be tough lol more and more 30 20 and 10 quid dymers moving down to lower levels bit worrying imo
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: £5 DYM....still there,grinding. : The £5.50s must havebecome ridiculously soft in my absence.. Haha only joking Dev, very well deserved. I wish you the best in the future.  
    Posted by patwalshh
    ty Pat,
    yes m8,if i'm winning,god help us all.  lol
    dropping down to 9 tables has deffo helped i think + just a few hours practise.  lol
    deffo helped me with yourself and jingle ma moving up levels,so  ty both for that.  lol
    still can't get rid of that johnconnor bloke though..(only joking john..always enjoy the battles with you.)

gl Pat,with what ever you are playing atm...
    not that you need that much...but it always helps,doesn't it.
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    HI m8 good results getting tougher these though im slowly increasing volume as weather gets worse so less golf lol so 1 more reg at this level :-) bankroll slowly increasing but also noticed the legendary john conner playing this level too now so times must be tough lol more and more 30 20 and 10 quid dymers moving down to lower levels bit worrying imo
    Posted by gixxerk4
    hi mate,
    yes,noticed you on some of my tables...uuuuurgh.  lol
    yes,i've also seen jc playing the £3's too.
    still,there is plenty of room for us all i feel as there are usually plenty of tables running,most of the time.
    yes,definately not very good golfing weather atm,far to cold for my 'old bones'  lol
    gl buddy.
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    sunday
    11/11/12

had a pretty awful start to tonights session but luckily for me managed to come 2nd in tonights £250 loyalty freeroll and won £18.75. which 'saved the day'. hooooray.

so...
           lost £7.60 playing £3's & £5's

won £11.15 in total

b/roll £959.16

c4p 119  total 1624

night all
    b lucky

dev
  • edited November 2012
    saturday
    17/11/12

been running pretty bad all week,but not losing much.
    better night tonight.got bored playing 9 tables,so loaded up 12. roughly 6x£5 & 6x £3.
    seemed to work as...

won £25.72

b/roll £976.33

c4p 193  total 2802= £33.62 to come.

saw a new face at the £3 tables tonight,you might of heard of him...
    Lambert180.

hope you enjoyed the session Paul.
    sorry about those quad 3's btw.

night all.
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah it was just a one-off tonight Dev so you're safe ;) Just a little challenege with my GF cos she thought I'd struggle with 6tabling DYMs when they all get on the bubble at the same time.

Saw you on pretty much every single table I played and I was 6tabling for about 2-3 hours.

Yeah I really enjoyed it actually, always thought DYMs were a bit boring but it really makes it more fun when you got 6 on the go. Things went quite well tonight, I played 30 and won 19 which is pretty impressive as things go in DYMs.

No worries, the quads was a bit overkill lol, I can't remember the hand but I can remember dishing out a bad beat on you at least once tonight.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Ian,

Hope your doing well.Still dabbling myself haven't got the commitment myself to do the grinding but thinking of doing a diary to get me focused.Delighted your still going well pal run good.

Pat

More updates Pal it was the one tread I regularly read.
  • edited November 2012
    Great stuff dev, good to see you on page one keep it up :)
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah it was just a one-off tonight Dev so you're safe ;) Just a little challenege with my GF cos she thought I'd struggle with 6tabling DYMs when they all get on the bubble at the same time. Saw you on pretty much every single table I played and I was 6tabling for about 2-3 hours. Yeah I really enjoyed it actually, always thought DYMs were a bit boring but it really makes it more fun when you got 6 on the go. Things went quite well tonight, I played 30 and won 19 which is pretty impressive as things go in DYMs. No worries, the quads was a bit overkill lol, I can't remember the hand but I can remember dishing out a bad beat on you at least once tonight.
    Posted by Lambert180
    hi Paul,
    glad u enjoyed playing them 4a change.
    agree with u playing more tables does keep u foccussed.
    as i said myself i got a little bored for the 1st time last night playing 9 tables,but as soon as i moved up to 12
    it became more interesting again.
    yes,it can be a little scary when u 1st get 5 or 6 tables 'on the bubble' all at once,but u soon adapt and get used to it.
    mind u i've made lots and lots of mistakes myself in the past getting there,but i think it was all worth it now.
    i'll have a little friendly bet with you...
    'you'll be back'
    ha ha.
    ;)
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Ian, Hope your doing well.Still dabbling myself haven't got the commitment myself to do the grinding but thinking of doing a diary to get me focused.Delighted your still going well pal run good. Pat More updates Pal it was the one tread I regularly read.
    Posted by day4eire76
    hi Pat,
    ty m8.
    yes,please do a diary m8,i always enjoy reading them, as it's nice to see how well or not as the case maybe,others are doing.
    i deffo found it helped my game ,not to mention my b/roll,when i did mine.
    yes i will keep the odd up-date going here.just don't want to do it every day as most of the time there's not a lot going on that's very interesting.
    hope to get back over the £1000 soon,which will be nice again.
    my 'game plan' now is to slowly add more £5 tables as my b/roll increases.
    i've tried playing more in the past and the danger is if u have a bad night the losses are quite big in % terms to your b/roll,therefore they hurt you even more,and then i found myself not wanting to play them the next day at all.
    i have found it to be a very 'fine line'playing DYM's and getting the balance just right,is so important.
    good luck Pat.
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    Great stuff dev, good to see you on page one keep it up :)
    Posted by Wacko90
    ty Wacko,
    best wishes yourself mate,
    i'm still following your progress btw.
    it's a good challenge that u have set yourself,and i know things have slowed down for u of late but i know that you will soon be back to winning ways once again.
    i would love to maybe one day 'get into tournaments' but as yet,it's something i've always struggled with.
    i think it's the thought of going days possibly even weeks,without winning or at least cashing that would put me off playing them.
    although you have shown us all just how profitable they can be,that's for sure.
    i might surprise myself though,and maybe in the new year,give it some thought.
    i'm sure that if i could just make the break-through i would enjoy it,and hopefully do 'ok'

best wishes Wacko,
    dev

dev
  • edited November 2012
    sunday 18/11/12

lost £10.10   £5's + £3's

monday  19/11/12

won £29.09  £3's only

tuesday  20/11/12

won  £53.37  £3's only (inc £10.07 from £500 timed special.)

b/roll  £1,048.69  hooooray

c4p 3318 = £46.45 to come.

great couple of days.decided to try playing £3's and see how i go.
    always thought i could get a win,but couldn't have dreamt just how much.
    going to have to re-think about carrying on playing the £5's.

stats for the last few days on them...

£5 games
    won 64 = +£288
    lost  51 = -£280.50
                   ----------
                  + £7.50

£3 games
    won today 35 lost 15

total for last few days..

won 141 = + £380.70
    lost  92 = - £303.60
                     ----------
                     + £77.10

got b/roll back up to four figures....
    again.

think i'll have to continue playing the £3 games as the £5 games continue to be a struggle for me.
    any advice here would be most welcome.
    do i persevere with the £5's which might make me more money in the long term?
    or do i just carry on playing the easier £3 games?

i am more than happy now playing at the £5 level,but quite obviously the £3 level is giving better returns.

anyway,
    that's all folks.
    best wishes
    dev
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: £5 DYM....Advice needed,please.:
    sent you a pm
    Posted by Jac35
    ty mate,
    i'll look there now.
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    Certainly a big step in terms of your results/profits between the 2 levels Dev.

What actual differences do you find "in-play"? Is it just a better average standard of opponent at the higher level or do you feel your play alters when you step up levels.

Maybe you just run worse.......

I'm intrigued.......
  • edited November 2012
    Certainly a big step in terms of your results/profits between the 2 levels Dev. What actual differences do you find "in-play"? Is it just a better average standard of opponent at the higher level or do you feel your play alters when you step up levels. Maybe you just run worse....... I'm intrigued.......
    Posted by SJspanky1
    hi sj,
    good questions.
    as you say,a big difference in terms of results/profits between the 2 levels,so there must be reasons for this,i guess.it can't be just coincidental.
    i think the 1st point has to be the standard of play at the £5's is better.
    "in-play"not so many players going out in the first 2 levels.
    definitely more aggressive.
    players re-raise all-in more and fold less to minimum bets/raises.
    therefore,more players doing the correct plays more often,meaning less edge for everyone.

as to does my play alter when stepping up levels?
    that is or could be another factor,that i maybe need to look at.
    when i play the £3's i can play 12/15 tables effortlessly,and almost go on to 'auto-pilot' when playing.
    i can almost see other players moves coming before they make them and i instinctively know what moves i will make against them,which seems to work well for me,a lot of the time.
    but...
    when i play the £5's,atm anyway,it seems a different game to me.
    firstly,i'm dropping down the number of tables to 9.
    why,because i've been advised to in an attempt to get 'better reads' on my opponents,which is fair enough,as they are arguably better players.

also atm,of those 9 tables i'm playing only 4 or 5 are at the £5 level,the others being £3. having had some quite bad losses in the past,i am naturally reluctant to go 'the whole hog' and commit fully to the £5's,which i know is wrong.
    i guess maybe i should give them a proper go again,as i'm sure my game has improved somewhat,but saying it and doing it,that's the problem.
    maybe it's more of a mental thing as much as anything,i don't know.

anyway,there it is.
    i've tried to be as honest as i can here.
    my approach has always been '1 day at a time' and so that will continue.
    i'm doing 'ok' i think,but would obviously like to keep on improving,like most people,and find that next level....
    eventually!!!

good luck all.
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Dev,

Interesting read as always.
    Just a thought i've had that maybe of some use (or not)!

As you say the levels of play are different between the £3 & £5 tables , so when you're playing a mixture of the 2 how do you alter your mindset between tables at the same time?

Maybe worth trying a day of just £3 and a day of £5?

GL
    Mick
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Dev, Interesting read as always. Just a thought i've had that maybe of some use (or not)! As you say the levels of play are different between the £3 & £5 tables , so when you're playing a mixture of the 2 how do you alter your mindset between tables at the same time? Maybe worth trying a day of just £3 and a day of £5? GL Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    hi Mick,
    good point.
    i guess when i'm playing the 2 levels together i play the £3's as i would normally,and possibly play the £5's the same way,i'm not to sure though tbh.
    i'm sure you could have a good point here though,that playing the 2 levels together might not be the best way of solving this puzzle that i am most definitely facing atm.
    i have played just the £3's for the past 2 night's and am delighted once again with the results.
    maybe i'll play just the £5's tonight or sometime soon,and see how that goes.

thanks Mick for the advice.
    be lucky
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    Your play should not alter between stakes at all IMO. Only your plays against certain players because of the reads you have on them not just because it cost you £2 less/more to play that game.

You've clearly played enough games and have confidence in your ability. You are making a profit, so basically keep doing what your doing. I have started playing the £11 DYMs regularly this month and the standard isn't great on those.
  • edited November 2012
    Your play should not alter between stakes at all IMO. Only your plays against certain players because of the reads you have on them not just because it cost you £2 less/more to play that game. You've clearly played enough games and have confidence in your ability. You are making a profit, so basically keep doing what your doing. I have started playing the £11 DYMs regularly this month and the standard isn't great on those.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    hi FlashFlush,
    ty for your thoughts.
    yes,i think u may be right in that i should not change my game just because of moving up levels.
    might just need tweaking a bit,i guess.
    going to give the £5's another go.probably tomorrow or friday.
    interesting that you think the £11's standard isn't that great...
    might join you.  lol

best wishes,
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: £5 DYM....Advice needed,please. : hi FlashFlush, ty for your thoughts. yes,i think u may be right in that i should not change my game just because of moving up levels. might just need tweaking a bit,i guess. going to give the £5's another go.probably tomorrow or friday. interesting that you think the £11's standard isn't that great... might join you.  lol best wishes, :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    As long as you game select they can be super soft. I've played £22 DYMs over the last week that make £3 games look hard. Not enough regs game select, 10% rake is hard for anyone to beat - Even more so when you have 4 competent players at your table. 

Best of luck as always. Also accidently used my 500th post for this which I was saving for a big update on my blog after taking down the 5k BH........... But I guess this is probably just as worthy. All the best.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: £5 DYM....Advice needed,please. : As long as you game select they can be super soft. I've played £22 DYMs over the last week that make £3 games look hard. Not enough regs game select, 10% rake is hard for anyone to beat - Even more so when you have 4 competent players at your table.  Best of luck as always. Also accidently used my 500th post for this which I was saving for a big update on my blog after taking down the 5k BH........... But I guess this is probably just as worthy. All the best.
    Posted by patwalshh
    Hey IDCU
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: £5 DYM....Advice needed,please. : As long as you game select they can be super soft. I've played £22 DYMs over the last week that make £3 games look hard. Not enough regs game select, 10% rake is hard for anyone to beat - Even more so when you have 4 competent players at your table.  Best of luck as always. Also accidently used my 500th post for this which I was saving for a big update on my blog after taking down the 5k BH........... But I guess this is probably just as worthy. All the best.
    Posted by patwalshh
    hi Pat,
    ty 4 the post mate,
    i'm honoured you have used your 500th posting here.
    yes,i here about how game selection becomes more important at the higher levels.
    i guess it is something i will need to do more and more often.

i must admit that i have just started avoiding playing the £5's if i see a certain 2 reg's on the same table together.not mentioning any names,but i'm sure if i gave the clues;1 is a big name film character and the other is the most popular fizzy drink going,then i'm sure you will guess as to who i mean.  lol

congratulations on your 5k BH win btw.you must have been delighted with that.
    thanks again Pat,
    best wishes,
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    wednesday 21/11/12

won £2.50 £500 freeroll

thursday  22/11/12

£5 games
                  won 10 +£45.00
                   lost 6  -£33.00
                              ----------
                             +£12.00
    £3 games
                  won 18  +£48.60
                  lost  13  -£42.90
                               ---------
                              +£5.70

won £17.70

b/roll £1,068.89

c4p  173  total 3491 = £48.87 to come.

another ok night.
    mixed the 2 levels...again.which i know i said i wouldn't do,but i just feel it gives my game a good balance atm.

playing 12 tables tonight and playing both levels pretty much the same,i think.
    made a few loose calls here and there,but pretty happy with my game over-all.
    i guess being passive's not going to get the job done,so if i make the odd mistake,i'll have to learn to accept it and move on.

night all
    dev