You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Sky Poker Player's Tweaks, Changes and Improvements Discussion Thread - Current discussion point

Comments

• edited October 2012
    see what i mean :)
  • edited October 2012
    Tommy you're a Mod.. why don't u just remove all comments that aren't in some way related to the 3 subjects. That way ppl wont see them, and therefore might not even think of commenting about them, and might actually stick to the 3 current subjects.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Player's Tweaks, Changes and Improvements Discussion Thread:
      Forum DTD is just getting Better & Better we now have Prizes for Weekly top 3 as well as the Monthly top 3, I think it would be Great Idea if we could get some TV Coverage maybe once a Month to start off with, wether it'll happen or not i don't know
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
    DTW, as you're a man in the know, what would you say the average field of a DTD MTT was and what would be the average number of people signed up for the DTD in that field?

I'm asking because I am looking for the number of non DTD registered people playing i the DTD games, the low limit grinders who don't look in the forum.

Playing devils advocate (because right now I think they should have TV icons) will the TV icon affect them.  Two ways I can see this happening.

1)  Would non-forum/non-DTD regs of the game be put off if they had TV icons in your and other DTD reg's opinions?

2)  A load of emails and table talk saying 'When will this be on TV?'  I still regularly get asked by non-forum recreational players during main events when the game will be on TV, why isn't it on the channel now regardless of if it's a show night and, my favourite, can I order a DVD of my play from Sky?'  The DTD is so well support there could be a deluge of such.  I know this sounds like a pithy point, but when people would get negative replies or get a reply from live chat that could well be less than they had hoped for, will it annoy people to the point they won't bother playing them and lose support for the games?

I think my second point is a bit of a reach but there it is.
  • edited October 2012
    for god sake like been at school
  • edited October 2012
    Tommy Tommy Tommy
    You are incorrigible - plays with fire on the tables - and now on the forum as well. (but good on you)

won't go through my whole wishlist.......just my top idea and top fix request

as the original poster on the topic on greghoggs timely thread about turbo tournaments i think a turbo evening is a great idea, not just one mtt as in the sky sports BH but a whole evening of quick play, like we had to do with the outage. Congrats to Greg who came up with the snappy Turbo Tuesday monika.

Just get the software working. I used to play on my phone - shouldn't have but I did. have trained myself to only use it when I have to, ie when going from A to B mid mtt. it stopped working. but at least I could sign up for tournies. Now I can't even do that - lobby won't open - can't even sign up for a tournie. And my phone is a galaxy s2 fully updated - so it ain't the phones fault.

gl with this thread, great idea but worried it might spiral out of control.

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Player's Tweaks, Changes and Improvements Discussion Thread - Current discussion points at top of OP:
    Tommy you're a Mod.. why don't u just remove all comments that aren't in some way related to the 3 subjects. That way ppl wont see them, and therefore might not even think of commenting about them, and might actually stick to the 3 current subjects.
    Posted by percival09
    Trying to keep a good feeling in here Perce.  As a Mod I only delete posts when I absolutely feel I have to, people get very annoyed when they get posts deleted.

I am hoping that the community will read what has been posted by others rather than ignoring everyone else and just saying what they want.  IMO we need less just talking and more listening and talking in perfect unison.  That is my hope anyway.
  • edited October 2012
    Great idea Tommy and hope we can keep it all friendly and on-topic. So to throw my tuppence in...

1. I never really played these (or any BH) much, but yeah it seems common sense that if they smash the guarantees, and there aren't enough people to play the £5.75s then it's bad. Many people are more than happy to play more than 1 table nowadays, especially wtih people getting experience of it in the DTD, so definitely room to have a £2.30 and a £5.75 that don't start too far apart from each other IMO.

2. DTD TV tables - It's a tricky one, because pretty much every forum player wants it (me included) but really the only people that want it are pretty much the people who already play it, so I can't see it's going to increase numbers much. Although there's probably alot of 861 watchers who aren't forum users, so it could bring more people in through that method. Maybe it's just me but the show seems to consistently struggle with people posting enough hands to show and so either have to hand pick them themselves OR show hands from the 2-3 people that are the only people who ever post hands. If the DTD were TV tables, I don't think there would ever be a shortage of hands to show and you'd get bigger variety of posters.

3. I prefer speed tournies these days so may be biased, but yeah as Dohhhh has been saying for weeks (maybe months) now, that there are virtually zero turbo tournies every single night.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Player's Tweaks, Changes and Improvements Discussion Thread - Current discussion points at top of OP:
    2. DTD TV tables - It's a tricky one, because pretty much every forum player wants it (me included) but really the only people that want it are pretty much the people who already play it, so I can't see it's going to increase numbers much. 
    Posted by Lambert180
    The only thing sky need to do to make this change, is to put a TV icon next to the 3 DTD tournaments.

15 second job tops? 

Just bonkers that they wouldn't do it, when it would be a noticeable positive change for so many people. 

-------------

Number 3, we certainly need some new turbo tournaments, OR the ones we currently have (all small rebuys) need improving. Prob the same thing :P

I just know a sky representative is going to come on here and say "we can't please everyone, people ask for longer blinds, people now ask for shorter blinds, it's impossible to please all".

Probably true, but you can try. 

Most tournaments should be normal blind structure (BHs and FOs and w/e else there is). 

With some slower ones.

And some faster ones.  

Easy :)

• edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
    3) Should there be more speed/turbo tourneys on a nightly basis

This is something that I feel strongly about and really do think that the turbos need to be looked at.  I asked Sky to look into this a while ago and they came back with the Lucky Sevens which after a good start sadly started missing the GTD and got cancelled which I thought was a great shame.

Please note that these are my personal views by the way and not of Sky!  Sometimes people confuse the 2.

Anyway with the success of the turbo BH the other night, I would like to see something like this ona  Tuesday/Wednesday on SkyPoker.com....these nights are traditionally the slowest nights on all online poker sites and think that anything to freshen up these days is a good thing :)

£4/5k GTD £11 Turbo BH Main 8pm
    £3k GTD £33/55 Open 8pm
    £1k GTF £3.30 Turbo BH Mini 8.15pm
    £4k GTD  £55/110 BH 9pm 
    £1k GTD £11 Velocity 9.45/10pm

I think that this is a balanced schedule that shouldn't cannabilise each others runners too much.  With a nice satellite struture into the bigger tournie the night before and on the night it should easily meet the required runners.  Multi-tabling is becomming more and more common now, even for the casual player, and with the recent additions of sync breaks and late red I think that these conservative guaranttes should easily be met, especially at this time of year when numbers traditionally see a big increase.
  • edited October 2012
    3) Should there be more speed/turbo tourneys on a nightly basis This is something that I feel strongly about and really do think that the turbos need to be looked at.  I asked Sky to look into this a while ago and they came back with the Lucky Sevens which after a good start sadly started missing the GTD and got cancelled which I thought was a great shame. Please note that these are my personal views by the way and not of Sky!  Sometimes people confuse the 2. Anyway with the success of the turbo BH the other night, I would like to see something like this ona  Tuesday/Wednesday on SkyPoker.com....these nights are traditionally the slowest nights on all online poker sites and think that anything to freshen up these days is a good thing :) £4/5k GTD £11 Turbo BH Main 8pm £3k GTD £33/55 Open 8pm £1k GTF £3.30 Turbo BH Mini 8.15pm £4k GTD  £55/110 BH 9pm  £1k GTD £11 Velocity 9.45/10pm I think that this is a balanced schedule that shouldn't cannabilise each others runners too much.  With a nice satellite struture into the bigger tournie the night before and on the night it should easily meet the required runners.  Multi-tabling is becomming more and more common now, even for the casual player, and with the recent additions of sync breaks and late red I think that these conservative guaranttes should easily be met, especially at this time of year when numbers traditionally see a big increase.
    Posted by scotty77

A huge +1

Turbo Tuesday, or Wild Wednesday ftw 

• edited October 2012
    On point 3

Well it seems there is support for having a turbo night.  To extend the question:

Would you play a large amount of a turbo night schedule?
    What night of the week do you think this should take place on?
    As a starting point, what do you think of Scotty's schedule a couple of posts above?
    Also please expand on this as much as you want.

My answers are I would play a turbo night, I think it should either fit arond the Thursday night BHer or take place on a Tuesday and I like the schedule Scotty has suggested.
  • edited October 2012

Tommy.

Let me know when you think the debate on the current topics has concluded, & I'll ensure that the right guys upstairs see the thread.

That's not to say they will agree, or change anything, but it's good feedback, & they may well take heed of some or all of it, or at least be cogniscant of it when tweaking the Tourney Schedules.

• edited October 2012
    Id like to see the blind structures in the super roller moved back to what they were.  I cant remember what the blind structures were exactly but there is quite a few blind levels being skipped now.  The blind structure has changed  and although you start with 10,000 chips it is quite turboie now i find as there is now a lot of blind levels being skipped.  So really everyone is only quite deep for the 1st few levels.
  • edited October 2012

Would be interested to see if someone from SKY could explain the reasoning behind point1

Otherwise this post is going to be lost in a myriad of Turbo tournament suggestions 

We live in hope........

• edited October 2012
    Would be interested to see if someone from SKY could explain the reasoning behind point1 Otherwise this post is going to be lost in a myriad of Turbo tournament suggestions  We live in hope........
    Posted by kaymac
    Hi Keith,

Hope springs eternal, as Mr Pope famously wrote.

I don't know the precise reasoning, but as promised, I did ask the question yesterday.

As far as I could gather, it's just part of the normal ongoing process of refreshing the portfolio of products on offer. They try different things, this & that, add stuff, remove stuff, all the time. Some are successful, some not, few are universally liked or wholy disliked, that's the nature of the beast.

If I understood the position correctly, it is an experiment, like scores of others, and at present, it will remain "as is", based, I assume, on examination of the data.

Nothing is cast in stone, though, & it may change. Just depends on numbers I would hazard a guess.

I did hear word that there will be some special Promotions in November for those who prefer to play at the lower levels - once I get the details, I'll Post accordingly.   
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Player's Tweaks, Changes and Improvements Discussion Thread - Current discussion points at top of OP : Hi Keith, Hope springs eternal , as Mr Pope famously wrote. I don't know the precise reasoning, but as promised, I did ask the question yesterday. As far as I could gather, it's just part of the normal ongoing process of refreshing the portfolio of products on offer. They try different things, this & that, add stuff, remove stuff, all the time. Some are successful, some not, few are universally liked or wholy disliked, that's the nature of the beast.   If I understood the position correctly, it is an experiment, like scores of others, and at present, it will remain "as is", based, I assume, on examination of the data. Nothing is cast in stone, though, & it may change. Just depends on numbers I would hazard a guess. I did hear word that there will be some special Promotions in November for those who prefer to play at the lower levels - once I get the details, I'll Post accordingly.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Appreciate the response Tikay, but from where it was to where it is now is hardly a tweak! To go from 6 x £2.30bh between 17.50 & 22.05, to the current 3, and increasing the buy-in for the rest without any input from the players is frustrating to say the least.

I'll give you a scenario. Player A likes to play the £2.30 bh of an evening. He gets home from work at 5.30, does all his usual bits, bite to eat etc, and just misses the 17.50 start. Hey ho, another one along in an hour, 70 - 100 runners, nice size, but now that is gone, he has to wait for a further hour and sees an extra 300 runers and has to navigate the initial flurry of questionable players to enjoy his game. Early knockout, previously next game was along at 20.45, but now, nothing till 22.05, but to get a decent run and possible cash, you have to allow about 3 hours, but that's too late for normal Joe as he has to work in the morning.

Now there are other games available but why would or should normal Joe change what he has enjoyed just because some unknown scheduler decides it needs freshening up without even asking the players!!

So Joe goes to another site.

Like I say, just a scenario, but if Joe had been asked first, a suitable alternative may have been found.

• edited October 2012

Hi Keith,

Only just seen this, & am out of time now, as I have to go to work.

I'll reply tomorrow, or over the weekend.

I much appreciated the reasoned response, as I know the subject is quite emotive.

• edited October 2012

£2.20 scary mtt, most sites equivalent of a hyper turbo MTT

(names could do with a re-think btw, scary, speed, velocity, do we need all 3?)

£30 gtd.

£2.20 buy in.

This is 2pm........

Compare the no. of runners to £2.20 BHs. freezeouts and deepies around 2pm.....

BINGO POKER 4 THE WIN !

Players Remaining: 0 / 86

MYSHARKY2580001£48.16
    pimmsno102£29.24
    diggerboy03£20.64
    mrjunk1404£17.20
    CHILLIE05£13.76
    Gazlar198206£12.04
    DOHHHHHHH07£10.32
    porter9208£8.60
    Lynx85609£6.88
    stealer69010£5.16
  • edited October 2012
    Thin brag there JJ!
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Player's Tweaks, Changes and Improvements Discussion Thread:
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Player's Tweaks, Changes and Improvements Discussion Thread : YES YES YES, IT KEEPS GETTING MENTIONED ON TV SO FFS GET IT SORTED YOUR MAKING YOURSELVES LOOK LIKE IDIOTS, HOW HARD CAN IT BE WHEN EVERY OTHER SITE HAS IT
    Posted by scouse1515
    and ur an expert when it comes to making urself look like an idiot...loving ur thread very comical
    bet everyone at 888 is relieved you have had a break to come on sky and post.....
  • edited October 2012

Amazing the way the small things get forgotten when visitors come for a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited October 2012
    Keep the comments civil please folks. Tommy has set this thread up for it to carry on in a certain fashion. 
  • edited October 2012
    Amazing the way the small things get forgotten when visitors come for a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by kaymac
    Oops - I think that may be directed at me, as I said.....

"....I'll reply tomorrow, or over the weekend....."

Which I guess I never said yesterday.....or even this week.

Apologies Keith, I'll reply tomorrow.*

* T & C's Apply, excludes memory overload, & dotage issues.

• edited October 2012

Not aimed specifically at you Tikay. I fully understand the importance of UKOPS this week and the time needed for it.

Just disappointed that what was another great thread has been lost in a sea of mediocrity.

My point about next years UKOPS players stilll remains!!
  • edited November 2012
    3) Should there be more speed/turbo tourneys on a nightly basis This is something that I feel strongly about and really do think that the turbos need to be looked at.  I asked Sky to look into this a while ago and they came back with the Lucky Sevens which after a good start sadly started missing the GTD and got cancelled which I thought was a great shame. Please note that these are my personal views by the way and not of Sky!  Sometimes people confuse the 2. Anyway with the success of the turbo BH the other night, I would like to see something like this ona  Tuesday/Wednesday on SkyPoker.com....these nights are traditionally the slowest nights on all online poker sites and think that anything to freshen up these days is a good thing :) £4/5k GTD £11 Turbo BH Main 8pm £3k GTD £33/55 Open 8pm £1k GTF £3.30 Turbo BH Mini 8.15pm £4k GTD  £55/110 BH 9pm  £1k GTD £11 Velocity 9.45/10pm I think that this is a balanced schedule that shouldn't cannabilise each others runners too much.  With a nice satellite struture into the bigger tournie the night before and on the night it should easily meet the required runners.  Multi-tabling is becomming more and more common now, even for the casual player, and with the recent additions of sync breaks and late red I think that these conservative guaranttes should easily be met, especially at this time of year when numbers traditionally see a big increase.
    Posted by scotty77
    Bring Back Thews at 10 or a similar tournament, was my favourite tournament of the week.
  • edited November 2012
    Also..... Stop the rake r@pe on the £5.75 Bounty Hunters, I would play alot more of these if the rake was 10% rather than the obscene 15%, as a result I don't play any of them.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Player's Tweaks, Changes and Improvements Discussion Thread - Current discussion points at top of OP : Appreciate the response Tikay, but from where it was to where it is now is hardly a tweak! To go from 6 x £2.30bh between 17.50 & 22.05, to the current 3, and increasing the buy-in for the rest without any input from the players is frustrating to say the least. I'll give you a scenario. Player A likes to play the £2.30 bh of an evening. He gets home from work at 5.30, does all his usual bits, bite to eat etc, and just misses the 17.50 start. Hey ho, another one along in an hour, 70 - 100 runners, nice size, but now that is gone, he has to wait for a further hour and sees an extra 300 runers and has to navigate the initial flurry of questionable players to enjoy his game. Early knockout, previously next game was along at 20.45, but now, nothing till 22.05, but to get a decent run and possible cash, you have to allow about 3 hours, but that's too late for normal Joe as he has to work in the morning. Now there are other games available but why would or should normal Joe change what he has enjoyed just because some unknown scheduler decides it needs freshening up without even asking the players!! So Joe goes to another site. Like I say, just a scenario, but if Joe had been asked first, a suitable alternative may have been found.
    Posted by kaymac
    Hi Keith.

Yes, that all makes absolute sense, though that's not to say I agree with all of it.

They are never going to keep everyone happy, it's just not possible.

Changes to the "products" are made almost daily, & though I've not counted them, there must be hundreds of variables (different "products") on the Site.

In an ideal world, yes, it would be right grand to put all these changes up for discussion, but there are so many, & do you really think that everyone would end up agreeing, or be happy? 

It is a business, & the Management are committed to growing the business, & they've done a pretty good job so far (imo). The Business continues to grow strongly, (in a declining market), so we cannot really say that they are not paying close heed to their existing, & loyal Clients, because the Business cannot grow without keeping it's Clients largely happy (it can never keep all of them happy all of the time), & at the same time, attracting lots of new Clients.   

I very much doubt that, say, Sainsburys, for example, go out for consultation with all their customers before withdrawing Hovis tin loaves or whatever from sale. If we want to stick to Poker analogies, I don't think too many Online Sites consult before making fairly routine, or standard, tweaks to the schedules.

This site does more than most when it comes to (trying to) keep players informed about stuff, (or I think they do) but when they do, it is not always received in a very constructive manner.  

Products come & go, it is, in any good business, a constant process to keep the product range fresh.

Of course, not all the decisions will be correct, if you or I were to make 100 decisions, we'd be millionaires if we got 95 of them right.

When "major" changes are in the pipeline, yes, it gets flagged up, but how do we define "major", as it is all relative?

"Not a tweak"? - I think that's debatable. If you consider how many products there are, spread across Cash (by FAR the biggest, bigger than everything else added together, & then some), Tourneys, & SNG's (the last two relatively equal in size), then split all of those down into the three different price bands - let's call them High, Medium, & Low - then changing a single product within those nine segments is just "routine" really.    

I'm sorry - genuinely - that you & others are disappointed, & I do understand, but everything is done for a reason, & I'm sure the Business had good reasons to make these changes.

Incidentally, those changes are just to the Products - that does not include changes to the platform, which also happen with great frequency. I think 5 or 6 have been scheduled for this month already, with more still to come next week. So "change" is non-stop, & there is so much of it.  

If I hear any more on this particular topic, I'll let you know.

I'm not sure much of that will appease you, but I've tried to explain things, such as I am able, anyway.

• edited November 2012
    Hi Tommy

Good idea and nice to see people interested in how the site is run too.

My minor suggestion concerns the time the board takes to show the cards once players are all-in pre either preflop or post flop. I feel it takes away from the suspense/excitement of the game. Yea i know it does'nt affect win rate, games playing etc but i do feel that its too short to take in the cards needed or not. Another site tends to have a bit of a lag between flop turn and river once playerss are say , all-in preflop. Start to finish is about 8 secs and i like it myself. The sky showdown is too quick and it doesn't  doesn't allow time for a quick prayer! Ha
    Don't get me wrong sky is better but its a fool who believes all in our house is perfect.

Sorry guys, i realise its a very picky point and 10 tablers probably don't give a rats about it but the experience would be enhanced buzz-wise i feel. If Sky are worried about the extra time eating into profits then just cut a couple of seconds off the clock to compensate as i'm sure people wouldn't notice.
  • edited November 2012

Proffie......

Catch me in the right (wrong...) mood,. & I'll tell you a cracking story about that "pause" before the river card is dealt.

This is probably not the time & place though.