You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MINI EVENTS

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
Follwing the thread started by Sky about increasing the price of the mini event to £5-50 I now see that the last 4 Minis including tonight have all been priced at £5-50, the last £3-30 event being Fridays Mini Open. Does this mean that all Minis are now £5-50 irrespective of the main buy in being £33 or £55? If this is so Sky I would like some answers.

Why were we not informed that the dearer price was being adopted after the "trial run"?
As you well know the Minis were a way for the smaller BR player to take on some of the bigger names and try and improve their game. I am not rolled to pay £5-50 for every Mini so now will stop playing them and I'm sure I won't be the only one. You've taken yet another option away from the smaller rolled player and done this after a "trial" where I believe the outcome was never in any doubt.

At the bottom of this page there are large letters that say responsible gambling. This works both ways and Sky have done nothing with this move to encourage it.
I love playing on this site but this decision I believe is wrong. Don't forget players with a big BR can afford to play any game they want. Us smaller players are slowly being squeezed out and I don't like it one little bit.

A very disillusioned FlyingDagg.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    In Response to MINI EVENTS:
    Follwing the thread started by Sky about increasing the price of the mini event to £5-50 I now see that the last 4 Minis including tonight have all been priced at £5-50, the last £3-30 event being Fridays Mini Open. Does this mean that all Minis are now £5-50 irrespective of the main buy in being £33 or £55? If this is so Sky I would like some answers. Why were we not informed that the dearer price was being adopted after the "trial run"? As you well know the Minis were a way for the smaller BR player to take on some of the bigger names and try and improve their game. I am not rolled to pay £5-50 for every Mini so now will stop playing them and I'm sure I won't be the only one. You've taken yet another option away from the smaller rolled player and done this after a "trial" where I believe the outcome was never in any doubt. At the bottom of this page there are large letters that say responsible gambling . This works both ways and Sky have done nothing with this move to encourage it. I love playing on this site but this decision I believe is wrong. Don't forget players with a big BR can afford to play any game they want. Us smaller players are slowly being squeezed out and I don't like it one little bit. A very disillusioned FlyingDagg.
    Posted by FlyingDagg

Agree with this 100%, i now overlook the mini's as the price is just too high. Along with taking away other small buy in tournys... and one was put back with a smaller gurantee.

• edited November 2012

+1

Totally agree Dale. I said at the time it was pointless putting up a thread to 'discuss' the options, as Sky would implement what they wanted regardless of feedback given.
  • edited November 2012
    Exactly. thats why I put "trial run" in quotes. I believe it was all predetermined.
  • edited November 2012
    100% agree Dale.
  • edited November 2012

I have asked on the 'ask Tikay' thread for clarification as I believe there has been no announcement of this possible permanent change.
  • edited November 2012
    100% agree with you Dale.  Sky really don't seem to have grasped the concept of promoting responsible gambling.  Either that or the REALLY don't want low level players on the site any more.
  • edited November 2012
    So if you play higher stakes does that mean you have a gambling problem or are not gambling responsibly.
    I agree with you about why did SKY bother asking but this gambling responsibly bit is not relevent to your point at all.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: MINI EVENTS:
    So if you play higher stakes does that mean you have a gambling problem or are not gambling responsibly. I agree with you about why did SKY bother asking but this gambling responsibly bit is laughable.
    Posted by jonjo75
    No jonjo responsible gambling means playing within your bankroll. There are lots of players with a smaller BR who played the Minis, me included. But to have the funds to play Minis regularly now would require a BR increase of 66% I believe someone said. It is encouraging some players to play at a level that they may not realistically be able to afford.
  • edited November 2012

There's always higer buy in games there to tempt people, no matter what level they are rolled to play at. That argument doesn't carry much weight imo. 

It's not like there's a shortage of low stakes games, there's loads. Much more micro games than medium-high anyway. Run better micro bankrolls ;)

I think a 50p buy in, £100gtd comp wud be good, maybe another £1 100gtd at about 9pm. 

Don't know much about the freeroll schedule, other than they allow rebuys (lololol) but there must be a couple a night?

It's not like micro players can't get a game. 

• edited November 2012

I agree with FD here with regards the way in which this has been done but feel that the responsible gambling

arguement is detracting from the main issue.  The mini events were introduced as a result of a forum comp.

and were proposed by Maxally. His proposal was that the minis should cost 10% of the main.  They were recognised

by Sky as worthy of atrial run and the awarding of  a prize to Alan.

Now i cant remember how long they have been running but they have been very successful and so successful that

they now form part of the Jackpot promo.

Obviously the pricing of tournies, rake charged, schedules etc are all within Sky's remit and they are entitled to alter

or amend these as they see fit, they are after all a business.

However, the thing that annoys people is the way they have gone about this and other changes. WHY ask for feedback

on the forum, listen to the views of the customer, announce a trial (the results of which have not been published) and

then just implement the changes with no announcement.

Pretty poor IMO.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: MINI EVENTS : No jonjo responsible gambling means playing within your bankroll. There are lots of players with a smaller BR who played the Minis, me included. But to have the funds to play Minis regularly now would require a BR increase of 66% I believe someone said. It is encouraging some players to play at a level that they may not realistically be able to afford.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Agreed. I would love to play the £100 5k BH and roller everytime they are on but I can not so I try and sat in. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I dont and occasionally I do buy in but I dont blame SKY for having them and tempting me.
    If they do not have sats into the mini make your own by playing a £3 sng or any variation you like.
    I have put on the forum before that the mini should be 10% of the main buy in and I still think this
  • edited November 2012
    The responsible gaming angle was never meant to be the major point of my arguement but it does have some bearing on what Sky have done. My main beef is the way Sky went about it. to implement a "Trial Run" after a mere handful of votes then increase the price anyway with no announcement only makes me believe that the trial was a ruse and they had every intention of increasing the price anyway. If they had gone with the 10% thing I couldn't have complained at that and would then play the ones I could afford. That would seem to be the fairest decision of them all. Instead Sky have taken this route and a lot of people feel very hard done by.
    By the way Dohhhhhhh I agree there are still other games but the reasonable price of the Mini was a bridge between the small and medium stake players. It was the only chance for the likes of me to share a tourney with Yoyo, MrBurns, Scotty77 etc., knowing I had to play to my best to get a cash. (notwithstanding Sats of course).
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: MINI EVENTS : Agreed. I would love to play the £100 5k BH and roller everytime they are on but I can not so I try and sat in. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I dont and occasionally I do buy in but I dont blame SKY for having them and tempting me. If they do not have sats into the mini make your own by playing a £3 sng or any variation you like. I have put on the forum before that the mini should be 10% of the main buy in and I still think this
    Posted by jonjo75
      The whole point of the thread. It was but now it is a standard £5.50 every night
  • edited November 2012
    There's always higer buy in games there to tempt people, no matter what level they are rolled to play at. That argument doesn't carry much weight imo.  It's not like there's a shortage of low stakes games, there's loads. Much more micro games than medium-high anyway. Run better micro bankrolls ;) I think a 50p buy in, £100gtd comp wud be good, maybe another £1 100gtd at about 9pm.  Don't know much about the freeroll schedule, other than they allow rebuys (lololol) but there must be a couple a night? It's not like micro players can't get a game. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    During the prime evening hours 7-11pm how many under £5.50(which is what this is about imo) mtt's are there?
    Excluding roulette and 15min donk athon timed tournies there can be an hour or more between games.
    Where as mid to high buy-in games run 2-3 an hour.

• edited November 2012
    When I play on here on an evening I play 6 tournaments between 7-50 and 9-50.

3x £3.30, 2x £2.20 and 1x £5.50. 

• edited November 2012

The thread title is MINI EVENTS.

Lets not go off in tangents discussing other stuff like different tournaments etc etc etc.
  • edited November 2012

Good morning all.

I just need to clear my overnight "to-do" list, then I'll reply to this thread.

Bear with me please.
  • edited November 2012

Hi again.

Let me first deal with pure facts, then I'll try & reply to a few of the questions & comments.

More follows.....

• edited November 2012

The schedules change all the time, nothing is ever cast in stone, this is quite natural.

Currently, the "Mini" Schedule consists of 5 x £5.50 Buy-Ins, & two x £3.30 Buy-Ins.

£5.50's are Every night except Wednesday & Friday, £3.30's are Wednesday & Friday.

So tonight it is £3.30.

There are no current plans that I am aware of to change this in either direction.

They may, or may not, change the scheduling & Buy-Ins in the light of Customer Experience.

• edited November 2012

The Guarantees on the Mini Bounty Hunters (Monday, Thursday, Saturday), ALL of which currently come in at £5.50, are being increased effective tomorrow & henceforth, from £1,500 to £2,000.

This is only possible due to the number of players playing these £5.50 BH's.

It is completely understood that £5.50 is beyond the pockets of some players, by the same token, it is clear by player numbers that it suits very many players.

The Buy-Ins for every Mini-Main will be kept under permanent scrutiny & review by the Business, as all Sky Poker products are.

I think it is by now understood by both parties that it will never be possible to be all things to all players, & that Players always have a choice of Sites to play on. As such, the Business tries very hard to strike a balance, to offer something for everyone.    

• edited November 2012
    Let's flip this argument on it's head...

The mini can be seen by many as just the 2nd part of the jackpot. A lot of people who play the main at a £33 buyin would be unlikely to play the mini at £3.30 if it wasn't for the jackpot. If you look at the prizepool (I'm going purely from memory here) you would need to get about 6th or 7th out of the 300 runner tourney just to get your main event buy in back!

So by increasing it from £3.30 to £5.50 and increasing the GTD prizepool they are making the tournament a lot more attractive to the people who play the main as their natural tournament.

As for pricing people out on Sky that's just ludicrous! Look at the tournament lobby now (granted it's during the day) there is 1 "bigger" buyin tourney every hour but 13 small tournaments within that time, whether they are timed, BH, deepstack, f/o or satellites they are ALL below £11.
  • edited November 2012
    Let's flip this argument on it's head... The mini can be seen by many as just the 2nd part of the jackpot. A lot of people who play the main at a £33 buyin would be unlikely to play the mini at £3.30 if it wasn't for the jackpot. If you look at the prizepool (I'm going purely from memory here) you would need to get about 6th or 7th out of the 300 runner tourney just to get your main event buy in back! So by increasing it from £3.30 to £5.50 and increasing the GTD prizepool they are making the tournament a lot more attractive to the people who play the main as their natural tournament. As for pricing people out on Sky that's just ludicrous! Look at the tournament lobby now (granted it's during the day) there is 1 "bigger" buyin tourney every hour but 13 small tournaments within that time, whether they are timed, BH, deepstack, f/o or satellites they are ALL below £11.
    Posted by FlashFlush

So much wrong with your post Charles.

1) The MINIS should not be regarded as another tournament for the main players IMO. They should be first and foremost be for the smaller BR players, which they were intially introduced for.
    2) The 2nd high lighted bit bears NO INCLUSION on this debate thread as it is only discussing MINI EVENTS.
  • edited November 2012
    The Guarantees on the Mini Bounty Hunters (Monday, Thursday, Saturday), ALL of which currently come in at £5.50, are being increased effective tomorrow & henceforth, from £1,500 to £2,000. This is only possible due to the number of players playing these £5.50 BH's. It is completely understood that £5.50 is beyond the pockets of some players, by the same token, it is clear by player numbers that it suits very many players. The Buy-Ins for every Mini-Main will be kept under permanent scrutiny & review by the Business, as all Sky Poker products are. I think it is by now understood by both parties that it will never be possible to be all things to all players, & that Players always have a choice of Sites to play on. As such, the Business tries very hard to strike a balance, to offer something for everyone.      
    Posted by Tikay10

Thank you Tikay for your explanation post.
  • edited November 2012

"Sky do not want smaller rolled players on the site any more".

Nothing could be further from the truth.

It is very rare that there is not at least one Promotion going on that is aimed at the smaller-rolled Tourney players.

Currently they have "New-vember" which is aimed at exclusively at lower-stake players, and such Promotions will continue from time to time.

Smaller-staked players are a very important part of any Online Poker Room, but even more so at Sky Poker because it fits very well with their acquisition model - players who are new to poker.

But there is another side to that coin.......

There are also mudium & high stake players, & they have exactly the same rights, & they need looking after too.

Then there are SNG players, & cash players........

It is not easy to be all things to all men.

We also need to keep things in perspective. We are discussing here low-staked Tourneys, which are an important part of the Business. As are.....

Medium Stake Tourneys

High Stake Tourneys

Low Stake SNG's

Medium Stake SNG's

High Stake SNG's

Low Stakes Cash

Medium Stakes Cash

High Stakes Cash

Cutting the cake in a way which appeals to all will never be easy.

Note also that cash games generate - by a very long way - the majority of site traffic, with the balance split between Tourneys & SNG's, then sub-divided again by Buy-In Level.

So, though we are unlikely to agree on this, the Business DOES value lower-stake players, & will continue so to do. It will also keep changing the mix of buy-ins & structures, they will never be "the same for ever". Only by doing so can they accurrately gauge player interest.       

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: MINI EVENTS : So much wrong with your post Charles. 1) The MINIS should not be regarded as another tournament for the main players IMO. They should be first and foremost be for the smaller BR players, which they were intially introduced for. 2) The 2nd high lighted bit bears NO INCLUSION on this debate thread as it is only discussing MINI EVENTS.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I think you really need to get some perspective about the amount of big/small tournaments there are on Sky at the moment.

What I'm trying to get at, without meaning to sound rude to anyone as it doesn't really bother me because I'm not playing MTTs at the moment anyway. There are loads of small MTTs on Sky, if by putting the mini up by £2.20 that prices a few people out then that's a shame, but it will also encourage a few more of the "Bigger buy in" players to play it as the prizepool is a lot more appealing. Either way they aren't going to lose out on runners, or if they do it will be marginal and the extra bit of rake will make up for that anyway.
  • edited November 2012

"The decision to change the buy-ins was pre-determined".

This is incorrect.

"The decisions have been made & are permanent".

No they are not.  

• edited November 2012
    FWIW in my opinion I think £5.50 is a perfect buy in for a decent sized MTT.

Without going into the do you have a bankroll or a budgt debate, if you can't afford the £5.50 buyin, then your regular game I expect would be STT's anyway because you don't get much lower.

On the flip side as I said above if it appeals to enough with the TV coverage and gets over 250 runners then the prize pool will appeal to the bigger players as well. I just feel that the £3.30 buyin was too low to appeal to a lot of players and with the top heavy prize structures you get in poker, a lot of people just play "Shove poker" to either get a stack or be out and that isn't good for anyone.

Just think - You are new to poker and you have watched the Sky channel a lot, there are a few players on there you look upto. Then suddenly your drawn on the same table as them in the mini. You think oohh great this could be a good experience I'm going to watch how they play, and then they just shove all their chips in 10 hands running because the prizeppol is too small and it's all or nothing even with 300 people in the tournament still....
  • edited November 2012

"They never announced the change".

Guilty as charged - with a plea of mitigation!

Have you ever counted the number of different products Sky Poker offer? Allowing for different buy-ins & formats, there are, literally, hundreds. It would just not be possible to "announce" them all.

The mix & balance of these are changed every single week, sometimes daily - there are changes galore, all the time, every day, every week.

I happen to hold the personal view that it is good to talk, & communication is a VERY important thing, & I'd like to think we could do it better. It's not been noticed by a soul (or not mentioned, that I have seen) but communication has been much increased of late.

It is my personal view that it would be good to mention, or "announce" every change, but really, that's never going to happen, there are too many.

In the case of "staple diet" stuff, which includes the Mini, yes, I think, wherever possible, it should be communicated.

Note, by the way, that we are just taking amongst ourselves, the "Community", but the Community is a very small % of the overall player-base, when discussing these matters we need to consider EVERYONE, not just the Community.

Can the Business do these things better? Yes, of course it can. And it will keep trying.   

• edited November 2012

"Sky will implement whatever they want, irrespective of feedback".

Well yes, it's their Business, they can do as they like. But.....they would not ask for feedack if they did not plan to listen to it, what would be the point?

So they take feedback in a variety of ways. By listening, by asking, by talking, & especially by looking at the Data. They combine all those things, or try to. I don't know this as a fact, as I have not asked, but it seems to me that examining the data is easily the most important means of "feedback", as the data is real, not opinion.