You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MINI EVENTS

13»

Comments

• edited November 2012
    At risk of upsetting people again. (I don't mean to) The mini last night was a £3.30 and a deepstack so pretty much what the lower BR players crave (A big tourney with loads of play at a reasonable price), The GTD pool was 10k and it got 296 players so missed it's guarentee by £112. Sky only took £88.80 in rake so overal they still lost out even after using rake to cushion the missed guarentee.

I'm not sure whether this is a regular thing or just the deepstacks, as I do notice they have a lot less runners. Maybe this is why it's being increased? Some1 else may have more history with the figures...
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: MINI EVENTS:
    At risk of upsetting people again. (I don't mean to) The mini last night was a £3.30 and a deepstack so pretty much what the lower BR players crave (A big tourney with loads of play at a reasonable price), The GTD pool was 10k and it got 296 players so missed it's guarentee by £112. Sky only took £88.80 in rake so overal they still lost out even after using rake to cushion the missed guarentee. I'm not sure whether this is a regular thing or just the deepstacks, as I do notice they have a lot less runners. Maybe this is why it's being increased? Some1 else may have more history with the figures...
    Posted by FlashFlush

10k for a 3.30 buy in now there's some value! 

On the mini buy in topic I only enter the 3.30 if I sat into the main where as I enter the 5.50 when I'm playing that night. 

• edited November 2012
    Yeah! Think I meant 1k lol
  • edited November 2012
    I'm of the opinion that the 5.50BI level is one which attracts far more people than 3.30s.

Using the 'lower bankroll' argument is valid to some extent in that there will be some people who like to have a responsible BRM in place and will now feel that the 5.50s are out of their reach at this moment in time while they build up some more.

However these are kind of players are in the minority.  Thie forum sometimes gives us a skewed view of the site in general as the majority of the posters on here are quite far ahead in their poker 'journey' in terms of their experience, approach to BRM etc.  Most people who play poker just want to have a fun game within their budget.

Most people will simply have a poker budget for the week/month and I think the 5.50s will essentially attract the same core audience plus a sigificant amount of new blood into the game....as there are players who like to play poker at 'pricepoints' and feel that a 3.30 is below that but a 5.50 is more 'worth' playing.

Obviously its sad if some people feel that they are now priced out of the mini events that are 5.50 but there are ways round it.  Play a couple of DYMs and if you have a good night then consider it as a 'sat' to the mini.  Maybe Sky could put on some 1.10 sats on too?  I don't know if the demand would be there but it is a possible solution and could be worth looking at.

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: MINI EVENTS : Using the Roller to mask the bigger questions about the NIGHTLY (not every 6 months like rollers) Minis is thin TBH. This would then (hopefully) be labelled a 'mini roller'. Yes, like Orfords hair....all things are not black and white and there are grey areas wherever you look for them. Like other things, a spin can be put on it so it favours the 'fors' or 'againsts'. Anyway, will there be a 'smaller' buy in roller on Sunday?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Well you can call it "thin" if you wish Alan, but it was an attempt to show that these things are never as simple as they may look. Guess it was a "fail". ;)

The SUPER ROLLER is every month, by the bye, not every 6 months.

I also believe that as time progresses, the frequency of £110 Main Events will increase, probably to once a week, in the not too distant future, as there appears to be a lot of demand for them. They would be backed up (I would assume, as I am just hypothesising) by a £33 or £55 "Second Main" at 9pm. I would not expect - again, just hypothesising - that the Mini Mains would increase beyond the current levels, even if some Mains do go higher. So that "link" between the two becomes ever morer harder to suggest it MUST be hard & fast, in my personal opinion, anyway.

This Sunday's Mini-Main? I don't know what format it will be, but it will be £5.50 as far as I know.  

• edited November 2012
    Think ryan made a good point, put on a sat into the 5.50 minis.
    Am tired reading some of this, going for a sleep.
  • edited November 2012
    Morning Tommy. In an ideal world, it would be pretty neat, symmetrical, & cool, to have, as you suggested, Mini Mains which did this...... "......I believe the minis should be 10% of the buy in of the main events and they be exact clones of said mains in every other way....." Now consider this.  The Main Event this Sunday is the £110 SUPER ROLLER.   So, do you think everyone would be happy if the Mini Main this Sunday were priced at £11? These things seem simple at first sight, but delve a little deeper & it very often begins to get more complicated.   If only we lived in an ideal world!  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Morning Tikay

I totally understand and get that things are more complicated than it seems and I'm more than willing to concede we don't live in an ideal world.

To focus solely on the mini mains, I stand to be corrected but yes I think the majority of mini players would be happy to play a once a month £11 game with a strong structure in comparison to their normal game.  As I see it, the 'minis' are the main event schedule for the smaller bankrolled recreational player.  Someone who invests some disposable income to have fun and play some low level tournaments.  (Please note I am in no way saying that all mini players are losing players over time, I'm saying the majority of players here are recreational players, there are actually some big winners around this level).

They are small buy in tournament players, the mini is their main event.  Under the 10% rule most nights of the week it's three quid with the 'big mini' on a Sunday at a fiver plus juice.  Now if there's a once a month eleven pound game to 'take a shot' at I don't think that will be unwelcome, in fact it'll be something for the regular low level MTT player to look forward to.  Just in the same way regular grinders in the main events seem to look forward to the 'once a month biggie.'  To expand your argument further, I haven't seen any main event MTT grinder complain that once a month the Primo is replaced by an event with double the buy in and a better structure.  Why should it be different for the small buy in grinder?  Remember I'm talking about a once a month event, something special, something to look forward to, something exciting and fun.  This is in marked contrast to a permanent (as permanent as anything ever is in the world of MTT schedules) increase in a significant amount of games.  I really think we can distinguish a difference between the two instances here.

Personally, and it's only my opinion, but I like the idea of a full 10% schedule for the small buy in MTT grinder including a £11 once a month mini roller.  However I have already conceded in my earlier post that I fully appreciate it's not my behind on the line (just in the way everyone and his mother seems to know the best starting eleven for the English football team yet only one person is paid to and has their livelihood directly related to that choice).

Finally in direct regard to my first post in this thread, I hope anyone who has read my posts here already think this but my opinions are never as rigid as a steel rod.  I am more than willing to concede being mistaken and have done on several occasions.  If it turns out I'm wrong about any of my views on what's happening and my opinion changes, well you know I will say so expressly.
  • edited November 2012
    Tonights mini appears to be a bounty hunter and with 2k starting stacks...please tell me this is an error and it will be changed to a freezeout or at least have increased starting stacks!
  • edited November 2012

Hi Matt,

It is intended to be a BH, & this was made known by myself, here, on this Comunity, several days ago. Because it is a BH, & these perform better as to field size, it enables the Guarantee to be increased to £2,000.

We know it does not please everyone, but the data suggests it pleases more than it displeases.

It was also a deliberate decision to make the Mini the "opposite" (as to format) to tonight's Main. Trying to please all of the people some of the time.....

Good luck, hope you bink this, the SUPER, & get that £9,000 JACKPOT too. ;) 
  • edited January 2013
    The schedules change all the time, nothing is ever cast in stone, this is quite natural. Currently, the "Mini" Schedule consists of 5 x £5.50 Buy-Ins, & two x £3.30 Buy-Ins.   £5.50's are Every night except Wednesday & Friday, £3.30's are Wednesday & Friday. So tonight it is £3.30. There are no current plans that I am aware of to change this in either direction. They may, or may not, change the scheduling & Buy-Ins in the light of Customer Experience.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Looks like the mini tonight is £5.50, or to put it another way, 50% of the buy in for the main!
  • edited January 2013
    Quote from Tikay: The schedules change all the time, nothing is ever cast in stone, this is quite natural. Currently, the "Mini" Schedule consists of 5 x £5.50 Buy-Ins, & two x £3.30 Buy-Ins. £5.50's are Every night except Wednesday & Friday, £3.30's are Wednesday & Friday. So tonight it is £3.30. There are no current plans that I am aware of to change this in either direction. They may, or may not, change the scheduling & Buy-Ins in the light of Customer Experience.
    Posted by Tikay10

It appears that Wednesdays buyin was £5-50 too so that didn't last long did it.
  • edited January 2013
    Fully agree.......the whole idea behind the mini was that it would run alongside the main at 10% of the cost. The fact that tonights mini is 50% of the cost says a lot.

Since the introduction of the jackpot bonus higher stakes players always play the mini now...........it looks to me like sky are thinking "oh well we will get away with upping the price because the higher stakes players will play anyway"

Another slap in the face for the micros IMO
  • edited January 2013
    I've read this entire thread and feel a little deflated by it all now. From Browndog's statement of the obvious to TommyD's consideration of whether he posts on social media anymore. However we are all products of the environment we live in. Do not take part in social media and you need not worry about it. Facebook etc encroaches into people's lives but also enables us to reach out too. We each make that decision ourselves. We all try to cut our cloth to suit, as it were but it isn't going to work across the board. We have to be selective because that's the way of the world. We have choice in our lives.
    I've had a break from playing over xmas and tbh not missed PLAYING much. I've actually got more enjoynent from looking at hands on the forum and may reconsider playing poker to any large degree for reasons which, yes, include the price of playing in poker T's with a better standard. Some of the games i've played over the last few months were just donk fests and of no worth from an educational or satisfaction aspect whatsoever, imo. It was poor poker. (no my life does not revolve around 'looking for fish' or 'not tapping the tank' as one nice guy wrote in poker clinic recently). Some games i've thoroughly enjoyed at times.
    I want to play against good players and play in spt's to meet people i've come across on the site but my finances or skill levels don't allow large buy-ins so i structure what i do but in the end if i'm priced out or just find it too much of a slog, i'll pack in. I ensure my own responsible gambling. No one else! And after watching hook advertisements from betting/poker sites on tv, please lets not see poker sites as something morally defensible. They provide an opportunity to make money from people's gambling. A business is there to make money and adopts strategies to fit a niche. Gambling is certainly not my mistress  and to be honest i'm pretty risk averse which doesn't help at times playing, as you can imagine.  I only started to get interested looking at it mathematically.
    We are allowed to complain and criticise at Sky in the forum and do receive reasons for decisions through Tikay which i'm grateful for but after just 18 months in my case, i can say that i've seen similar posts concerning every aspect without a great strides being made. Everyone is entitled to making a post on a forum but should accept criticism if that is the opinion of a reader. Sky will try to keep players happy TO AN EXTENT but let's not fool ourselves guys. Business is business which i don't see as taking a high moral ground as usually that involves taking advantage of situations and peoples leanings. Its up to us to make decisions of whether to participate or not. Having that ability to participate or not is what is truly freeing.
    i'm sorry if this has gone off track but i must say that changes will be made and OUR opinions will only have a minimal effect. Sorry to be downbeat about it but i feel that this is a fact of the matter. Make your choice guys because business is business. By the way "GUYS" refers to us all, SKY included.

PS For what its worth i can't see myself playing mini's for £5.50 a pop but that's my choice as it doesn'tseem to be value for money though the standard is generally more of what i'd like.
  • edited January 2013
    I'm of the opinion that the 5.50BI level is one which attracts far more people than 3.30s. Using the 'lower bankroll' argument is valid to some extent in that there will be some people who like to have a responsible BRM in place and will now feel that the 5.50s are out of their reach at this moment in time while they build up some more. However these are kind of players are in the minority.  Thie forum sometimes gives us a skewed view of the site in general as the majority of the posters on here are quite far ahead in their poker 'journey' in terms of their experience, approach to BRM etc.  Most people who play poker just want to have a fun game within their budget. Most people will simply have a poker budget for the week/month and I think the 5.50s will essentially attract the same core audience plus a sigificant amount of new blood into the game....as there are players who like to play poker at 'pricepoints' and feel that a 3.30 is below that but a 5.50 is more 'worth' playing. Obviously its sad if some people feel that they are now priced out of the mini events that are 5.50 but there are ways round it.  Play a couple of DYMs and if you have a good night then consider it as a 'sat' to the mini.  Maybe Sky could put on some 1.10 sats on too?  I don't know if the demand would be there but it is a possible solution and could be worth looking at.
    Posted by scotty77
    THIS!

Pretty much nailed it. The vast majority of the players who play the mini will see the BI going up and therefore the prizepool increase as a good thing. It will end up attracting more players with the new BI imo.