You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New Poker Points system.

edited December 2012 in Poker Chat
 Can someone explain to me how people playing badly (by being in nearly every hand) being rewarded more poker points than someone who plays a wiser game is a good thing.

Quote from E-mail recieved "Essentially it is a fairer way of distributing Poker Points".

Are Sky trying to encourage bad play?

Check your E-Mail inbox for details on new System!

Comments

• edited November 2012
    In Response to New Poker Points system.:
     Can someone explain to me how people playing badly (by being in nearly every hand) being rewarded more poker points than someone who plays a wiser game is a good thing.  Quote from E-mail recieved " Essentially it is a fairer way of distributing Poker Points".  Are Sky trying to encourage bad play?  Check your E-Mail inbox for details on new System!
    Posted by Donut64
    ive got the email and its also on the earning poker points page of the promos section.

im trying to digest the changes they are implememnting before saying anything stupid on here.
  • edited November 2012
    it pays people rakeback who are involved in pots. It stops people playing like nits and being paid the same amount of rakeback than people who are more active. Why should players who are nits get the same amount of rakeback as the players who actually contribute to the rake more frequently? Since when has being a nit been a wiser game? How is it encouraging bad play? 
  • edited November 2012
    This is good for the game it will create action.  It is not bad play by playing a high percentage of hands if you are a competant player and know how to play down the various streets.  If Phil Ivey played on sky he would be involved in 70% of pots imo as he would feel he would have a massive edge post flop.
  • edited November 2012
    It is hard enough at lower levels to raise pre without 3 or 4 callers without giving them this incentive! How can I improve my game when people are being encouraged to be in every pot?

ps. looks like Im in a minority on this one! LOL

• edited November 2012
    It creates a far better system in which the 'fish' will be given more money back at the end of the month than they would get on the current system. The more money you contribute to pots the more rakeback you should receive? Yes? This will mean a healthier site for the recreational players to play on which paramount for the site to keep growing.  

I'm sure beaneh will explain better in due course.
  • edited November 2012
    yeah i think it will be good not just for me because i play quite a lot of flops dont think that makes me a bad player because im more laggy than some but will defo be good overall imo.Also like others have stated they are far too many nits just waiting to play the nuts or 2nd nuts if they feel lucky.
  • edited November 2012
    because in all honesty, and without meaning to sound rude, there really is zero argument for the old rakeback method. this beats it hands down and all sites use this. Paying each payer the same amount is absurd
  • edited November 2012
    e.g. I go into tesco every other day and buy a lot of products and therefore accumulate points on my club card freqently - I don't expect other shoppers to get the same amount as me for shopping at the same supermarket less frequently
  • edited November 2012
    haha Percival I just used the same analogy to explain it on a thread on facebook!

but yeah this is a real positive change for the cash games on the site and a far fairer way of awarding poker points to the players on the site. 
  • edited November 2012
    i agree the weighted contribution is a better system to be used than was the current model. its been said above so i will not go into it again.

where i think SKY has missed a trick, and i dont know if others will agree with me, is that the points offered per £ raked is still not in proportion to the other disciplines. 6 points per £1 raked in cash games compared to 10 points per £ raked in stt/mtt. i would love to know the reason behind this. even with keeping happy hours the difference still isnt made up. i feel this was the chance to flatten everything out and end untold debates about who gets the better deal thru c4p.
  • edited November 2012
    As said elsewhere at tesco you can get your weekly shopping at tesco and be guaranteed your points will be worth cash at the end with poker points you can get 400+ points a month and they are  worth exactly nothing! But that is going of the point, myself I was just wondering how ot would effect the game at lower levels, personley I would prefer to just pay less rake and have no rakeback. Ps like Asda! LOL
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: New Poker Points system.:
    e.g. I go into tesco every other day and buy a lot of products and therefore accumulate points on my club card freqently - I don't expect other shoppers to get the same amount as me for shopping at the same supermarket less frequently
    Posted by percival09
    Wins thread wp sir
  • edited November 2012
    LOL curt I was going to start typing then thought nah i'll just look up my posts in the other thread...

Original discussion thread, pertinent posts on pages 3/4/5/6

New system is fairer, aims the bonuses more sensibly though still needs tweaking as TinTin mentions the disparity with game type C4P rates.
  • edited November 2012

A great move, may even tempt me back to SKYPoker. 
     On second thoughts perhaps not until they up the %age of rakeback available to compete with other major sites.

• edited November 2012
    +1 tintin. why do stt's/mtt players get better value for this? meh, 6pts seems low
  • edited November 2012

Don't think it will make a differance to the actual cash game play on Sky, multi table nits will play the same way and so will laggy spew monkeys

so.... at least some spew will be returned in the form of rakeback

At least it pays to drive the action on tables now, unlike before where it was just zZzZzZzZzz I have a set cash action
    +1
  • edited November 2012
    how come you dont get anything until 500 points?? i only play a few times a month so never get to 500
  • edited November 2012
    There was a post in this thread that had some numbers showing average % of rakeback being recived and how low it is. It has surprisingly disappeared?
  • edited November 2012
    There was a post in this thread that had some numbers showing average % of rakeback being recived and how low it is. It has surprisingly disappeared?
    Posted by therckt
    I didn't see the post but were the numbers on it comparing C4P to the rakeback other sites in the industry offer to all at all times or to the affiliate deals you used to* be able to get on signing up to a site? (maybe still can, it's been a long time since I signed up to a site as I've already signed up to most, I very much doubt there are as many deals as there used to be).
  • edited November 2012
    numbers weren't being compared to other sites. it basically said if you get 5,000 points, it means you get £90 back and youve paid over £800 in rake which = around 11% rakeback or something. hewas basically saying it isn't v.good
  • edited November 2012
    Posted by percival09
    They may have bought more products, but they spent the same time browsing :)

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: New Poker Points system. : They may have bought more products, but they spent the same time browsing :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Wow, do you get rakeback for searching the lobby! ;) lol
  • edited November 2012
    I just think the Poker points should go to those that are playing the game, not throwing money into the pot, as Tikay as said on many occasions that folding is a big part of the game! :)

But as the majority seem to prefer the new system, I suppose that is what really matters!
  • edited November 2012
    I think the new system is much fairer.  However I think too many people are getting too focused on the points and the C4P/rakeback.  It should have no bearing on how you play the game.  It should not be a fixed income stream you count on.  I don't even count it as poker profit, just a side bonus.  Enjoy the game, beat the game, make money from the game and throw any bonuses you get onto the pile.

I've seen a few posts on various forums on the back of C4P/rakeback changes on this and other sites over time say 'the site is giving me a paycut.'  C4P/Rakeback is not a salary.  It's a bonus.
  • edited November 2012
    I just think the Poker points should go to those that are playing the game, not throwing money into the pot, as Tikay as said on many occasions that folding is a big part of the game! :) But as the majority seem to prefer the new system, I suppose that is what really matters!
    Posted by Donut64
    What Sky call Cash 4 Points is just another name for what everyone else calls rakeback. Why should you get rake back when you don't give any (much). It's basically cash back and you wouldn't expect cash back without paying some cash in the first place.

I don't know of another site that don't do it this way because it's just the most sensible way. Over a year you might have one nit contribute £20,000 to Sky's pocket, and an aggro player contribute £60,000 to Sky's pocket, doesn't make much sense for Sky to give them both £1000 each.
  • edited November 2012
    rakeback going where its deserved is good for the poker economy as a whole.

I'd rather lose some of my potential bonus and have it go to a loose recreational then have it plonk into the hands of the mr 12 hours a day who sits waiting to cooler people.
  • edited November 2012
    I agree that there isn't a discussion to be had between dealt method or weighted contribution, weighted contribution is fairer & should be implemented.

What I disagree with is the way this new system is being implemented by sky, which will result in a worse deal for nearly all the players (Casual & Regular). 

To give cash game players only 6 points for every £1 raked, you will have one of the most UNCOMPETITIVE bonus systems online.
  • edited November 2012
    Let's have a look at some rake examples of a few different cash game player types. 

£100 raked = 600 points £4.80 C4P Bonus = 4.8% Rakeback

£300 raked = 1800 points £18 C4p Bonus = 6% Rakeback

£600 raked = 3600 points £50.40 C4P Bonus = 8.4% Rakeback

£1000 = 6000 points £120 C4P Bonus = 12% Rakeback

£2000 = 12000 points £336 C4P Bonus =  16.8% Rakeback
    If Priority then £372 C4P Bonus = 18.6% Rakeback
    If Priority 3mo.s then £408 C4P Bonus =  20.4% Rakeback

£3000 = 18000 points £540 C4P Bonus =  18% Rakeback
    If Priority then £612 C4P Bonus =  20.4% Rakeback
    if Priority 3mo.s £720 C4P Bonus =  24% Rakeback

As you can see, Sky will be returning a lot less back to players than they have been previously. They MUST take a good look at those points bandings & their corresponding point value to give their loyal players a FAIR DEAL.

• edited November 2012
    Really disappointing if this is true from sky.  The liquidity in the plo games is really bad at the moment.  I can see more players leaving because of this!

Let's have a look at some rake examples of a few different cash game player types.  £100 raked = 600 points £4.80 C4P Bonus = 4.8% Rakeback £300 raked = 1800 points £18 C4p Bonus = 6% Rakeback £600 raked = 3600 points £50.40 C4P Bonus = 8.4% Rakeback £1000 = 6000 points £120 C4P Bonus = 12% Rakeback £2000 = 12000 points £336 C4P Bonus =  16.8% Rakeback If Priority then £372 C4P Bonus = 18.6% Rakeback If Priority 3mo.s then £408 C4P Bonus =  20.4% Rakeback £3000 = 18000 points £540 C4P Bonus =  18% Rakeback If Priority then £612 C4P Bonus =  20.4% Rakeback if Priority 3mo.s £720 C4P Bonus =  24% Rakeback As you can see, Sky will be returning a lot less back to players than they have been previously. They MUST take a good look at those points bandings & their corresponding point value to give their loyal players a FAIR DEAL.
    Posted by OmgDaveS
  • edited December 2012
    Bad deal for everyone looking at the table above. To award only 6 points per £1 raked and not change the C4P checkpoint boundaries is really disappointing from Sky. Feels like they have used the switch to a weighted contribution method to return a whole lot less in rewards to the player pool.