You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dramatic Step

edited December 2012 in Poker Chat
I have decided to take a dramatic step and pack my university degree in.  Brief background i mucked around last year at uni playing too much poker so had to come back this year to resit 2 exams and 1 bit of coursework.  I have had a very good few months at poker and have found myself playing way more than i should.  I had a 2500 word essay due in on friday and because ive been playing too much it wont be done on time.  

Basically i have lost all interest in uni for the last year and all i think about is poker hands 24/7.  I actually feel a big release and a big weight of my shoulder having made this decision.  I dont even see what the point of a degree is in the current economy to get a job in a local newsagent,

I joined a poker stable of 6 people about 3 weeks ago 1 day after i won the ukops for 6k.  They sent me $2000 and im allowed to play and game upto 55s on here and ps.fr.  The guys that back me and coach me have won over $2.3million online jambeyang and thawright.  I have decided to take this step so i can fully concentrate on the game and get as good as i can.

I just told my dad about it and he reliases i have had no interest in uni in the last year and has tried to talk me out of it for the last year has given up on me changing my mind as he knows what i want to do and has accepted my decision.

Comments

• edited November 2012

Good luck to you but i think you should reconsider

• edited November 2012
    i think leaving uni with no qualification is a mistake, its always great to have something to fall back on if you get bored of the game, but i also wish you the best of luck bud and hope you crush.

glglglglglglglglglglglglglglgl

mewillows
  • edited November 2012
    your decision bud, hope it goes well for ya..well except for taking my money :)

that 2k you got whats the deal? what % profits do you get from it, sounds foreign to me :S 
  • edited November 2012
    Good luck to you, i'm sure you will get a lot of people who don't understand your decision, but you only live once and may as well spend as much time as you can doing what your passionate about and makes you happy.
  • edited November 2012
    Good luck and good on you...you can always go back to uni in the future if you want...

"He who dares, wins" Derek Trotter 22.10.1982

It didn't turn out too bad for him.
  • edited November 2012
    if you have no intrest in uni then there is no point in being there. You will not achieve a good degree if you are not focused on it and will just be throwing the tuition fees away for no reason. Seems like a good move to me you can always go back as a mature student 1 day if you think that it will benefit you. Seems like you made the correct descion to me Good luck at the tables maybe 1 day i'll be able to win back enough of my role to play you again :) lol
  • edited November 2012
    wp. you followed what you wanted to do. Not enough people do that. Hope all goes well.
  • edited November 2012
    i did the same, if i could do it again i would stay at uni
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to re:
    i did the same, if i could do it again i would stay at uni
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Any reason why? sorry for being nosey lolol
  • edited November 2012
    because having a plan B would be really useful
  • edited November 2012
    coz poker f000ks ya brain up and f00ks ya social life most probs 
  • edited November 2012
    Let me just make it clear that this is not a big headed post and i do not think i am a good poker player yet i have tonnes to learn.  I want to get as good at this game as i can and i a great opportunity to do that now with 2 well respected pros coaching me.  After i won the tournament a few weeks ago i did not say to myself im an amazing poker player i should pack everything else in it was the opposite the 1st thing i thought about is i want to get better at this game.
  • edited November 2012
    i think your a good player bearly 

i also think u have leaks we all do and like u say by playing each day u can only learn good luck in your journey pal :)

• edited November 2012

I think you're one of the best players at the limit I play at and have no doubt whatsoever that you do and will continue to do well at the game. However, imo leaving uni is deffo not a decision to be taken lightly and again (imo) you really shouldn't give it up, especially not in the last year.
    Myself, I left school with hardly any qualifications and with hindsight have maybe fallen lucky in the job that I have in the way of, as long as I don't balls something up bigtime I am moreorless guarenteed a job until I retire in probably 20ish years.
    I met a lad at the course I did for my job who since became one of my best friends (I sound about 2 y.o. there haha :), anyway, this guy got me into playing poker about 8 years ago where I now play for a bit of pocket money.

My mate ultimately left his job (the same job I do now) to persue a career in poker. He was recognised as one of the best players on the entire site we played (cash, stt's and mtt's), which had a large forum base and feedback from lots of people. To cut a long story short, he ultimately lost his house, missus and all his money and was left with nowt.

I won't go into the reasons why, as he did actually win at poker, the only point I'm trying to make is that there may well be many unforseen circumstances in your life / the poker world ahead when, one day, you may not be able to continue playing poker for a living, be it tax laws, bad gambling habits, he11 I can probably reel off 10 possibilities.

Unfortunatley I've had a few tonight so am probably rambling haha, however, this game is by no means guaranteed and you definately need a 'Plan B' in this day and age. Yes, you might have 5 degrees and be unlucky enough not to get a decent job for 5 years, however, having a decent education would be a da mn sight better than not having it if (and when in maybe 10 years time?) the poker went t1ts up for whatever reason and you're suddenly left with nothing at all. Then you're in a world of poopoo :(

I have seen so many people say they are going to give up their job/uni to play poker - this is a big mistake in my eyes for any persons' future. Yes, they may well be able to succeed long term but I fear it would be a very small minority that actually would. Can you really imagine playing for a living for the next 30/40 years, winning enough money to pay for houses, cars, bills, a decent pension!?

That;s probably a load of drunken garbage above as I just typed as I thought - my bottom line is - you're in the last year of uni - you really should make an effort to see it out as much as it sucks as you never know what might happen in the future in pokerland, hence you might then need to be in the best possible position to get a decent job if it went t1ts up.

GL whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you (I know a couple of people who had coaching by pro's too and, whilst they lived the life of riley for a few years, it didn't/hasn't ended well).

Anyway, must get to the tables to donk away some monies :)))

Edit - I just pressed enter and saw a wall of text haha, I hope it isn't ALL drivel as I can't be bothered reading all that myself :)

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Dramatic Step:
    your decision bud, hope it goes well for ya..well except for taking my money :) that 2k you got whats the deal? what % profits do you get from it, sounds foreign to me :S 
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    50% chop every $1000 i make mate
  • edited November 2012
    gd luck bearlyther

I don't post on here much but I read and play a lot, and admire yr play

hope it all goes well for you
  • edited November 2012
    i was seriously into poker in 2001, got a 5 year sponsorship deal in 2004 & didn't quit work until late 2005, in short i was reluctant to make the jump & wasn't sure how i'd cope without the safety net of a regular wage.

if you'd asked me 4 years ago i'd say i was 100% certain that i'd play poker til i was ready to put my feet up & retire....more recently i've come to understand that life is long & that perhaps trying to sustain a poker career for 25 years might not be the best choice for me.

i can empathise with your decision though & although i've no idea how long you have left at uni i would urge you to do your best to finish it...it's possible to do both, what's the hurry?
  • edited November 2012
    I agree with the having a plan B bit. Its always nice to have it and you dont know what lie ahead in the future for online poker. We might get 10 years down the line and it gets outlawed or something. Then what? You'll prob end up down maccyds flipping burgers for a living? I earn a nice living on the side of my day job playing live cash poker after hours. Its crazy hours (I work from 8-3 and play poker from 5-10) and even though on average I make the same amount as I do in my job, I still would never dream of quitting my job to do it. Why? I guess its fear of failing or not making enough or swings and knowing that if I wanted to go back into work, I'd never be able to adequately explain career gaps and get in at the same level. Also I wouldnt like the pressure of knowing I have to make on average X per month from essentially gambling. I dont doubt for one second that you are good enough to mak a load of money playing poker. Youve proven it already but I think its nice to have the security of a back up plan especially in uncertain times. GL
  • edited November 2012
    I'd like to join those suggesting that you stick with your degree, bearlyther.

Right now the job market is is poor. You would find it difficult to get yourself a graduate job on either side of the Irish sea. However you're going to be working for the next forty years in all likelihood and over that time having a degree is going to pay. If you ever decide that full-time poker is no longer something you want to do, your degree will help you in getting a job or a business loan. It's the sort of thing that shows an employer or a bank manager that you have a good work ethic and in the face of a CV that reads "Many years as a Poker Player" that work ethic is going to need to show through. It's also possible that having a degree is going to be beneficial to things such as insurance premiums and your chances of getting a mortgage somewhere down the line.

Of course you'll be able to make changes in future but they will all be that bit easier if you keep on working for your degree now, while you're young and (relatively) free of responsibility.

I'm probably not the best person to be a life coach, though. I hope everything works out for you.
  • edited November 2012
    i've been in this spot as long as u have a plan b from uni it be ok. uni not the be all and end all people like to make it u don't alway find the job u was looking for but and a big but it great to have the degree under ur belt. but i find no point sitting in a class u don't want to be in, i've done it and it usless.  

my advise maybe have a think about what u like to do apart from poker, reading ur post i can see the love u have for the game but i wat happens if that goes wat will u do. even if u work as anythink at least u have a stable income. 

but one thing to remmber even the great ivey had a job on the side  when he stared out to help him when he went busto but i guess u have a set of player that have been throught stuff so they should help u out.  

but one question when u shipped the ukops was that before or after the stable ? did u keep 100% of winning or did u have to share. 

but all the best 
  • edited November 2012
    btw, a 6k score really shouldn't have any bearing on long term decisions,

oh dear, i suspect i'm coming across all fatherly on this thread, i'll stop now
  • edited November 2012
    Goodluck with it. 

My advice would be keep your cost of living down as low as you can while you can! If your still living at home then do that for as long as they will put up with you until you can afford to buy your own house outright, as you have no official income then you won't be able to get a mortgage or loan.
  • edited November 2012
    i was seriously into poker in 2001, got a 5 year sponsorship deal in 2004 & didn't quit work until late 2005, in short i was reluctant to make the jump & wasn't sure how i'd cope without the safety net of a regular wage. if you'd asked me 4 years ago i'd say i was 100% certain that i'd play poker til i was ready to put my feet up & retire....more recently i've come to understand that life is long & that perhaps trying to sustain a poker career for 25 years might not be the best choice for me. i can empathise with your decision though & although i've no idea how long you have left at uni i would urge you to do your best to finish it...it's possible to do both, what's the hurry?
    Posted by yoyo
    Thanks for the post Julian i understand i am not giving myself a plan b if things dont work out. This is my last year at uni.  Basically the main problem i have had between uni and poker is i cant find a balance between the 2.  For example il know i have an exam coming up or a bit of coursework and il say to myself but i want to play that tournament tonight il do it tomorrow.  The next day arrivesi say ok il start it after 20clock or something 20clock comes and all i want to do is play poker and cant stop myself lol. Some poker players have told me before that i have got a different mindset that most other poker players as basically i never stop thinking about the game at all!
  • edited November 2012
      but one question when u shipped the ukops was that before or after the stable ? did u keep 100% of winning or did u have to share.  but all the best 
    Posted by D_Legend

I kept 100% the winnings as i was playing for myself then!
  • edited November 2012
    Goodluck with it.  My advice would be keep your cost of living down as low as you can while you can! If your still living at home then do that for as long as they will put up with you until you can afford to buy your own house outright, as you have no official income then you won't be able to get a mortgage or loan.
    Posted by FlashFlush

Yes i live at home with my dad so my living costs are extremely low.
  • edited November 2012
    In that case, if your going to go pro then you've chosen the best time to do it. (Apart from finishing your last year at Uni)

It's a bit different when you have rent to pay and a Mrs and kids stopping you do it like I had!
  • edited November 2012
    I agree with the having a plan B bit. Its always nice to have it and you dont know what lie ahead in the future for online poker. We might get 10 years down the line and it gets outlawed or something. Then what? You'll prob end up down maccyds flipping burgers for a living? I earn a nice living on the side of my day job playing live cash poker after hours. Its crazy hours (I work from 8-3 and play poker from 5-10) and even though on average I make the same amount as I do in my job, I still would never dream of quitting my job to do it. Why? I guess its fear of failing or not making enough or swings and knowing that if I wanted to go back into work, I'd never be able to adequately explain career gaps and get in at the same level. Also I wouldnt like the pressure of knowing I have to make on average X per month from essentially gambling. I dont doubt for one second that you are good enough to mak a load of money playing poker. Youve proven it already but I think its nice to have the security of a back up plan especially in uncertain times. GL
    Posted by mj8bs
    Cheers mate yes i think that is a very good way to go as you have the security of your job if things dont work out well for you in the night sessions.  However i just dont have that mindset in me and i would like to focus fully on 1 thing.
  • edited November 2012
    No replacement for a good education, opens a lot of doors - finish uni

good luck
  • edited November 2012
    You are in the last year of Uni? Snap quit poker, ban yourself until after your final exams, and finish what you started. DO NOT WASTE THE TIME YOU HAVE INVESTED IN YOUR DEGREE. This is from someone who deeply, deeply regrets not finishing my degree originally, so don't take my words lightly. 

Poker will be here next year; finding £30k to pay for tuition fees and dedicating a lot time and effort when you are older into a degree in five years time is very, very hard, and I should bloody well know, I'm doing it.