You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dramatic Step

13»

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Thanks everyone for your advise i really appreciate it and can completely understand what you are all saying about having a plan b etc.  

But basically i mucked up uni last year because i played too much poker and was given the chance to go back this year which i very relectentely did.  I had coursework due in for today and i never handed it in as basically i left it all too late simply because i had no interest in uni this year despite what all my friends and family said to try and finish up.  I know i could have finished if i had put the serious effort into it but basically i couldnt find any motivation what so ever each day to do the work.

Who knows in the future wheather i will regret not finishing it or not as il probly look back then and say to myself that there was no way i was going to finish it as i quite simply didnt have the motavation to do it.

Appreciate everyones support some really great advise from everyone but i basically just couldnt find the motivation for it so im going to give poker a serious shot.

• edited December 2012
    You'd obviously made your decision mate, and that's not meant as a bad thing. You've made your choice, stick to it! (unlike uni lol) and give it your best shot while you're still young and have minimal responsibilities.

IMO, while you have really low living costs, you should build and build and build a roll like never before, withdraw the absolute minimum you need to live, cos you really wanna have a nest egg stored for them bad months if you really gonna make a go of it.

Good luck and keep us updated!
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Dramatic Step:
    Thanks everyone for your advise i really appreciate it and can completely understand what you are all saying about having a plan b etc.   But basically i mucked up uni last year because i played too much poker and was given the chance to go back this year which i very relectentely did.  I had coursework due in for today and i never handed it in as basically i left it all too late simply because i had no interest in uni this year despite what all my friends and family said to try and finish up.  I know i could have finished if i had put the serious effort into it but basically i couldnt find any motivation what so ever each day to do the work. Who knows in the future wheather i will regret not finishing it or not as il probly look back then and say to myself that there was no way i was going to finish it as i quite simply didnt have the motavation to do it. Appreciate everyones support some really great advise from everyone but i basically just couldnt find the motivation for it so im going to give poker a serious shot.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Hi bearly,

thats the prob tho you did uni for x amount of years then didnt have the motivation. POKER IS GREAT WHEN YOUR WINNING BUT THE GRIND AFTER AWHILE WILL CATCH YOU UP, & THEN WILL YOU STILL HAVE THE GET UP & GO ATTATUDE YOU HAVE NOW??????
  • edited December 2012
    Ryan - do you think your still playing the game because you have a side line now? And if you didn't get into presenting do you think you would still be playing? Or would you have moved on like the others in this group?  I think its an important question to ask in relation to thread.. as from my experience reading posts from successful poker players who have been playing 3-5 years they'll all give off a "if I could do it again I wouldn't pick poker vibe" like 7 times out of 10 and as per some posts in here.  And, in most cases its like poker was Plan A and there was never a Plan B, other than maybe get a sponsership deal or bink a WSOP! It shocking really to think, that theres guys that can print 50K a year (not just your mates obv), travel the world playing a game, and they dont have a backup plan to like.. use some of that money their printing to fasttrack themselves into business/property/trading/stability and hedge some of the pressure away from pure poker. 
    Posted by TPTP123

I think I would still be in the game regardless of being lucky enough to be offered the role on 861.  It has made things a lot easier tho and its nice to be in a 'work' environment a few times a month.

Out of my the 3 mentioned friends, I think I have always had a bigger desire to grind.

Also I have run really really well in tournies compared to them, both live and online.  I think that has helped my motiavation massively.  Nick (Pryce6) and I went to Vegas and played a very similar schedule, bar a couple of tournies.  He cashed for around 4k IIRC where I cashed for over 50k.  I don't think that is anything to do with ability (in many ways I think Nick is a better player than I am), just getting lucky at various crucial points.

Should I ever bink a large score then I will be looking to invest the money in a business, and my mind is open to other things.

But I reckon I have a long future in the game.  Unlike a lot of people in poker, I am actually very optimistic about the industry and the value that is in the game.  Think there is still tonnes of money to be made, definatly far more than I could hope to attain in the job market.

I just think that keeping as many doors open as possible is the best way and why I think the OP should do all that he can to finish his degree, even if it means grovelling to his tutor.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Dramatic Step : I think I would still be in the game regardless of being lucky enough to be offered the role on 861.  It has made things a lot easier tho and its nice to be in a 'work' environment a few times a month. Out of my the 3 mentioned friends, I think I have always had a bigger desire to grind. Also I have run really really well in tournies compared to them, both live and online.  I think that has helped my motiavation massively.  Nick (Pryce6) and I went to Vegas and played a very similar schedule, bar a couple of tournies.  He cashed for around 4k IIRC where I cashed for over 50k.  I don't think that is anything to do with ability (in many ways I think Nick is a better player than I am), just getting lucky at various crucial points. Should I ever bink a large score then I will be looking to invest the money in a business, and my mind is open to other things. But I reckon I have a long future in the game.  Unlike a lot of people in poker, I am actually very optimistic about the industry and the value that is in the game.  Think there is still tonnes of money to be made, definatly far more than I could hope to attain in the job market. I just think that keeping as many doors open as possible is the best way and why I think the OP should do all that he can to finish his degree, even if it means grovelling to his tutor.
    Posted by scotty77
    Hi ryan,

The key point in your post is being able to grind & have a desire to do so. Not many peeps can do this day in day out over months or years. Whats the secret if there is 1.
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks for the advise everyone having taken advise on here i had a meeting with my course director today and asked if it would be possible to take a leave of absence and come back in September.  She said i will be able to do that so i will be able to concentrate on poker until then.  
  • edited December 2012
    Obviously I'm a bit late into this thread so apologies for that.

Uni and poker is definitely doable. I was in a long term relationship as well which took even more time up!

I found it was good to have something such as uni work to take my mind off of poker.

So yeah, I think you should stick at uni.

Personally, I managed to graduate with a first last year whilst still playing a good amount of poker (not as much as these days admittedly). The only thing I did find tough was final year because of the work load and that obviously did take a hell of a lot of time up. I do think it's worth it though.

Hope that's helpful!
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks for the advise everyone having taken advise on here i had a meeting with my course director today and asked if it would be possible to take a leave of absence and come back in September.  She said i will be able to do that so i will be able to concentrate on poker until then.  
    Posted by bearlyther
    I think that was probably a very wise wise decision for the sake of a few minute conversation with your tutor.

I left University after 2 years (nothing to do with poker) and really wish I hadn't now for a whole variety of different reasons, but mainly as others have said, just having that plan B to fall back on when things go t1ts up.

I wish you all the very best with your poker and wholeheatedly hope you acheive everything you hope that you will and that the university option becomes irrellevant, but it's great to hear that you have it there as a fall back option for next year if things don't go to plan or if you just find you don't enjoy it as much as you think you will.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Dramatic Step : I think that was probably a very wise wise decision for the sake of a few minute conversation with your tutor. I left University after 2 years (nothing to do with poker) and really wish I hadn't now for a whole variety of different reasons, but mainly as others have said, just having that plan B to fall back on when things go t1ts up. I wish you all the very best with your poker and wholeheatedly hope you acheive everything you hope that you will and that the university option becomes irrellevant, but it's great to hear that you have it there as a fall back option for next year if things don't go to plan or if you just find you don't enjoy it as much as you think you will.
    Posted by Slykllist

Yes thanks mate hopefully il be able to go back to uni next september with a more refreshed mindset after ive had a good crack at poker until then
  • edited December 2012
    Can i just ask what you were studying at uni mate. Im doing Economics in my second year and also found that my interest in poker has demolished my studies. I dont have enough time to play poker or do work its all way to much lol. Ive just brought 6 poker books which i plan to read over the xmas period somehow as my knowedge of the game is some what limited. Ive only been playing seriously/good (well at least i think, as deluded as I may be) since August 2012 and have managed to make 3k profit on here over about 300 mtts in the last couple of months as well as some big cashes on 888.

I struggle to leave money in my account when i make large profits as i waste it on clothes, going out and going to magaluf for 4 days in whilst Im supposed to be at uni lol.

From January onwards im trying to make the transition to cash as this appears to be the most profitable game.
    I am going to stick to a 50 buy in BRM and start at 50NL and aim to get to 200NL within a year. Do you think this is possible for a player who has average stats from MTTS. 770 tournys £3.3k profit ROI 69.9% ?
  • edited December 2012
    Can i just ask what you were studying at uni mate. Im doing Economics in my second year and also found that my interest in poker has demolished my studies. I dont have enough time to play poker or do work its all way to much lol. Ive just brought 6 poker books which i plan to read over the xmas period somehow as my knowedge of the game is some what limited. Ive only been playing seriously/good (well at least i think, as deluded as I may be) since August 2012 and have managed to make 3k profit on here over about 300 mtts in the last couple of months as well as some big cashes on 888. I struggle to leave money in my account when i make large profits as i waste it on clothes, going out and going to magaluf for 4 days in whilst Im supposed to be at uni lol. From January onwards im trying to make the transition to cash as this appears to be the most profitable game. I am going to stick to a 50 buy in BRM and start at 50NL and aim to get to 200NL within a year. Do you think this is possible for a player who has average stats from MTTS. 770 tournys £3.3k profit ROI 69.9% ?
    Posted by RyanC7
    Im studying business mate but yes as you say im feeling a bit like yourself aswell struggling to balance them both.  I had good results in 1st and 2nd year then in 3rd year i went to America for a year on a placement year and then when i came back between being away working for a year and focused on poker i found it hard to get motivated.  So hopefully i will be more focused in september if i am able to give poker a good shot until then.

Yes im the same i like to splash out a bit and buy things for a few days if i have a good result but i would advise to keep as much as your roll on the sites as you can afford without using it for living expenses.  You should see your poker roll and the money you have in the bank as 2 seperate things.  I dont see it as real money until i have a cash out.

Cash is a different game completely from mtts and you will need a different mindset.  That is good stats for that number of games mate but 770 tourneys is still a very small sample size for tournaments.  I myself have not played a high enough sample size for tournaments but i have been sent a roll for tournaments by my stakers and i am aiming to put in a high volume of tournaments during weekday mornings and afternoons.  

Wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Conor
  • edited December 2012
    For every success story you hear about going pro I imagine there will be at least 10 people who have failed miserably that you dont hear about.

Its not a long term career choice either as you will get fed up of playing. Doubt I have even averaged 15 hours a week this year.
  • edited December 2012
    Can i just ask what you were studying at uni mate. Im doing Economics in my second year and also found that my interest in poker has demolished my studies. I dont have enough time to play poker or do work its all way to much lol. Ive just brought 6 poker books which i plan to read over the xmas period somehow as my knowedge of the game is some what limited. Ive only been playing seriously/good (well at least i think, as deluded as I may be) since August 2012 and have managed to make 3k profit on here over about 300 mtts in the last couple of months as well as some big cashes on 888. I struggle to leave money in my account when i make large profits as i waste it on clothes, going out and going to magaluf for 4 days in whilst Im supposed to be at uni lol. From January onwards im trying to make the transition to cash as this appears to be the most profitable game. I am going to stick to a 50 buy in BRM and start at 50NL and aim to get to 200NL within a year. Do you think this is possible for a player who has average stats from MTTS. 770 tournys £3.3k profit ROI 69.9% ?
    Posted by RyanC7
    you're welcome to start at 50nl - but I wouldn't say it's the best idea. 
  • edited December 2012
    Bearly so glad you have the option of going back in September. It's the right decision.
    P.S. TPT are having some xmas fun on the 19th. Checkout my post from yesterday on the TPT thread.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Dramatic Step : you're welcome to start at 50nl - but I wouldn't say it's the best idea. 
    Posted by pryce6
    I have a little experience from stars and live. I have played 20nl often on here and find it easy to beat just never have the motivation to grind out tables for hours on end as it gets very boring lol. Starting out at 50nl probably is a bad idea but ill be rolled sufficiently to drop down if all goes pear shaped. On the other hand though, watching the 50nl tables throughout the day seems to be so much value from recreational players who just look to gamble, more so in the evenings on weekends. I guess it would be difficult and take a while before/if i was to become a consistent winner at 50nl, particularly with the amount of regs you get. I think I can beat the level I just have a passion to learn more and more about the game recently especially in the last couple of months.
  • edited December 2012
    Bearly so glad you have the option of going back in September. It's the right decision. P.S. TPT are having some xmas fun on the 19th. Checkout my post from yesterday on the TPT thread.
    Posted by FlyingDagg

Ok mate yes sounds good il play in it