You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A fair way to select the APAT team?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Charles, please check your PM's.
  • edited November 2009
    I agree with you flash draw a line under it run the second tourney and no more bleating about everything we are supposed to come together as a team.  All this bickering has got to stop.  Bernie i hope u can ignore all the comments in the chat box. 
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: A fair way to select the APAT team?:
    count me out gl guys...
    Posted by themackem
    ur country needs u .....or shud that b sky team poker needs u. lol
  • edited November 2009
    Looking forward to Monday....lets put all the nonsense behind us...Lee...in order for this to move forward 100% your participation is required...otherwise there will always be a slight shadow hanging over it...likewise Bernie must continue on.
  • edited November 2009
    what a sad thread to read through....god there's bigger problems in the world than selecting an APAT team....good luck to all especially MargateMafia
  • edited November 2009
    count me out gl guys...
    Posted by themackem
    Don't throw in the towel, make sure you play in the 2nd game....like its been said we are a team

Dave
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: A fair way to select the APAT team? :  That is already what it was going to be :-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    How was the points awarded for Fridays game
    +
    Where can we find the results/points awarded for each game played?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: A fair way to select the APAT team? : How was the points awarded for Fridays game + Where can we find the results/points awarded for each game played?
    Posted by GR8TFL0P
    Points were:

13 pts - Karlluke
    12 pts - MargateMaf
    11 pts - SolarCarro
    10 pts - FlashFlush
    9  pts - Sky Bernie
    8 Pts - Delta
    7 pts - Loky Rogy
    6pts - Tallboy
    5 pts - GregHogg
    4pts - Repton 3
    3 pts - Darich
    2 pts - Cormach
    1pt - Mr Mbro

Dave
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: A fair way to select the APAT team? : Points were: 13 pts - Karlluke 12 pts - MargateMaf 11 pts - SolarCarro 10 pts - FlashFlush 9  pts - Sky Bernie 8 Pts - Delta 7 pts - Loky Rogy 6pts - Tallboy 5 pts - GregHogg 4pts - Repton 3 3 pts - Darich 2 pts - Cormach 1pt - Mr Mbro Dave
    Posted by SolarCarro
    Thanks for the above

So do I take it you had to play one hand or more to score
  • edited November 2009
    Yup.
    Blinded out = 0, but if you come late and play a hand = 1.
    Guessing you can also start and play a hand then leave and score, but that would be a bit odd!
  • edited November 2009
    Yup. Blinded out = 0, but if you come late and play a hand = 1. Guessing you can also start and play a hand then leave and score, but that would be a bit odd!
    Posted by Loki-Rogy
    Ok

So anyone that did not play a hand and could therefore NOT score, should be eligible to play the replay game on Monday?

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: A fair way to select the APAT team? : Ok So anyone that did not play a hand and could therefore NOT score, should be eligible to play the replay game on Monday?
    Posted by GR8TFL0P
    Yeah I would think so, pm Flash Flush to clarify
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: A fair way to select the APAT team? : Yeah I would think so, pm Flash Flush to clarify
    Posted by SolarCarro
    Sol
    Ty for posting a reply

I personally don't think I can make, Monday (off to play at the Broadway-birmingham Sun/Mon) Just wanted to clarify for others
  • edited November 2009
    The only other person who registered and sat out was me.

I've PM'd Charles in which I said that I wouldn't have registered if I had known that there was going to be a second game. I believed at the time that I might have a small chance of making it back in time to play one hand. As it happened, I didn't make it back til the next morning, when I found out that there WAS going to be a second game and I asked if myself and anybody else in the same situation would be eligible for Monday's game.

The reply was basically "No. It's your own fault for registering if you weren't going to be back in time."

So tell me Sky Poker forumites, how is that fair?
  • edited November 2009
    Just to add, had I been able to play one hand and busted on that hand if I had only had minimal chips...I'd have taken those points and not argued about the Monday tournament.
  • edited November 2009
    Just to add, had I been able to play one hand and busted on that hand if I had only had minimal chips...I'd have taken those points and not argued about the Monday tournament.
    Posted by Kaidus
    Kaidus I agree, don't see how peeps can be frozen out of both options to score points. Reging into T because you just may be able to get back in time was the only option on the table at THAT time. 
  • edited November 2009
    Ok ill repeat myself, you I answered you over PM so illanswer you again here.

You left a post on the forum before Fridays game saying and i quote "I will definatly not be able to make this game at such short notice" I left a post to say to everyone if you cant make it dont register, because it affects the game for all the other players. You decided to stay registered and both yourself and gr8tflop were put on the same 5 handed table leaving the other 3 players to play 3 handed for over an hour. Very unfair and ruined their tournament as a result.

So in my view when I said "Do not enter if you cant make it" and you entered then you must of been able to make it and therefor dont need a replacement tournament.
  • edited November 2009
    Ok ill repeat myself, you I answered you over PM so illanswer you again here. You left a post on the forum before Fridays game saying and i quote "I will definatly not be able to make this game at such short notice" I left a post to say to everyone if you cant make it dont register, because it affects the game for all the other players. You decided to stay registered and both yourself and gr8tflop were put on the same 5 handed table leaving the other 3 players to play 3 handed for over an hour. Very unfair and ruined their tournament as a result. So in my view when I said "Do not enter if you cant make it" and you entered then you must of been able to make it and therefor dont need a replacement tournament.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    sorry but as my above posts you can see that I did not see your post re -  Do not reg) 
    Again as above I am unable to make the Monday game so you decision does not affect me. I was just asking for clarification. 

I think its best I withdraw from this. As posted by others this was supposed to be a selection process for a team. 
    You need the team to be sat at the APET tourney knowing they;
     1, deserve to be there
    2, have the full backing of sky/sky forum menbers 

APET = fun, good poker, team spirit

What I will say is good luck to ALL of the team.
  • edited November 2009
    I agree with Flash - the main reason for the Monday game was to give people who were not aware due to the short notice to play the Friday game.

Knowing about it on the Friday and it being inconvenient is a world away from coming home, logging on and finding it in progress.

Maybe the game should only appear in the lobby an hour before the game, to stop registration by people who aren't going to be there. Leg 1 I was with Flash on a table with 3/5 no shows and leg 2, Delta & Bernie with 2/5 no shows...
    Makes it hard to build up a stack early and then you're always playing catch-up.

Still, people are within their rights to register and not show, remember there being empty seats at the SPT in Manchester.
  • edited November 2009

This seems to be moving towards concensus now, & it was good to see so many largely constructive & well-argued Posts yesterday.

Someone asked "is this fair?", &, in the circumstances, perhaps it was not - but it was as reasonable as it could be. There was no entirely fair solution, so it had to be the most reasonable solution.We must remember, Poker is not a fair game - A-A gets beat regularly.

A big up to Flash, who has impressed me greatly with his patience & understanding in what were difficult circumstances. Typically, as a volunteer, giving his own time, he got precious few thanks & a tank-full of grief. It's that "not fair" thing again.....

I think the Sky Poker Team will be stronger for this, I really do, a little adversity often unites a team if it has backbone.

I'm sure they will represent Sky Poker well, & I wish them the very best of luck. I'm also sure they will buy-in to the APAT spirit of fair-play & camaradie.

I will not be present on Day One of the Team Event as I'm working on the Saturday, but I plan to be present for Day Two. Let's hope you guys will be in contention for the Trophy.
  • edited November 2009
    I agree with Flash - the main reason for the Monday game was to give people who were not aware due to the short notice to play the Friday game. Knowing about it on the Friday and it being inconvenient is a world away from coming home, logging on and finding it in progress. Maybe the game should only appear in the lobby an hour before the game, to stop registration by people who aren't going to be there. Leg 1 I was with Flash on a table with 3/5 no shows and leg 2, Delta & Bernie with 2/5 no shows... Makes it hard to build up a stack early and then you're always playing catch-up. Still, people are within their rights to register and not show, remember there being empty seats at the SPT in Manchester.
    Posted by Loki-Rogy
    "No-shows". These are part & parcel of poker. The "no-show" rate at last season's SPUKT averaged a staggering 20%! (It was much less in Manchester for the SPT). But the Touurney goes on, & because of the Alternates rule, & the fact that the player has the right - & may well - turn up x hours late, the "dead stacks" have to remain in play. Them's the Rules.

This case was, of course, a little different, due to unforeseeable circumstances. It's grand to see it's now all been settled amicably & sensibly. Shouting & screaming will never solve these intricate & difficul situations - reasoned debate is the way.
  • edited November 2009
    I thought this post was dead!! because it had all been sorted out ..... am i wrong?????? i thought flash flush being the captain had resolved the issue ..... am i wrong?????

The way this is carrying on is making us a laughing stock. If the captain had made a final decision then surely that is the end of it. If this had been on the other foot and i had missed it for whatever reason, then i would of looked to my captain for the solution and gone with his decision, that's what a captain is there for .... is it not?

This is supposed to be a team event/challenge and it's not anymore with this still rumbling on! I really hope you lot get this sorted and find some way to gel as a team or this is a car crash waiting to happen! What the captain says should really be final, he listened to all that was said to start with and made in his mind the best decision to move forward as a team. That's what the captain's role is in any sport.

This why i am out of it, If flash is your leader you should listen to him an go with his decisions. If you don't like it then he won't be captain next year. But so far from what i have seen is has done what needed to be done took the bull by the horns an got it sorted ;) GL to all that are trying to qualify!!!! may the cards be with you ;)
  • edited November 2009
    So in my view when I said "Do not enter if you cant make it" and you entered then you must of been able to make it and therefor dont need a replacement tournament.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    If this was the case from the start of game 1 (sit-outs = No points) then why the need to re-post it. Or was it a rule made up at the last minute for game 2.

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: A fair way to select the APAT team? : If this was the case from the start of game 1 (sit-outs = No points) then why the need to re-post it. Or was it a rule made up at the last minute for game 2.
    Posted by GR8TFL0P
    I only found out about it before game 2 but apparently it was decided at the table in the middle of game 1 between Charles and Bernie because Charles had a table full of people who weren't playing from hand 1, which is their prerogative.

Oh, and Charles, here are 2 posts, both posted before the start of Friday's tournament, that say I might be able to make it back, not a definite "I can't and I'm just going to sit out."

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3a41cb957e-8148-4b65-931a-3cfa2f634e7aDiscussion%3a4b21ebbb-945e-421c-9124-3eec0a75ac6b&plckFindPostKey=Cat:57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum:41cb957e-8148-4b65-931a-3cfa2f634e7aDiscussion:4b21ebbb-945e-421c-9124-3eec0a75ac6bPost:907742c6-15cb-49ec-a3d8-9878d770e892

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3a41cb957e-8148-4b65-931a-3cfa2f634e7aDiscussion%3a4b21ebbb-945e-421c-9124-3eec0a75ac6b&plckFindPostKey=Cat:57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum:41cb957e-8148-4b65-931a-3cfa2f634e7aDiscussion:4b21ebbb-945e-421c-9124-3eec0a75ac6bPost:fb126589-050a-4394-98cb-45ed7f917ce4

I've said it before and I'll keep going on about it. Everybody involved should be given a fair and equal opportunity to qualify for the team. Tell me exactly how GR8TFLOP and myself are being given a fair and equal opportunity to score points here?
  • edited November 2009
    Someone asked "is this fair ?", &, in the circumstances, perhaps it was not - but it was as reasonable as it could be.
    Posted by Tikay10
    How is it reasonable? We haven't gained anything from being sat out as we scored 0 points. We haven't had the opportunity to score any points. It's not like we've been logged in, and sat out for fun, watching the tournament pass us by. If I'd made it back to play one hand I'd have scored 5 points. What's reasonable is letting us play the Monday tournament. The number of points given out will be the same bar an extra 1 or 2, and if we both register then the number of players in both tournaments will be the same!
  • edited November 2009
    I agree with Flash - the main reason for the Monday game was to give people who were not aware due to the short notice to play the Friday game.
    Posted by Loki-Rogy
    That's weird, I was under the impression it was to give all of us a fair and equal opportunity to score points.
  • edited November 2009

Kaides - I said (my enboldenment) "it was as reasonable as it could be".

I don't really see what else he could have done in the extremely awkward circumstances that prevailed.

Flash is the Captain, he's trying his best to please everyone & be as fair &/or reasonable as he's able.

It's sad that some players have been disadvantaged, I agree, but sometimes things just pan out awkwardly.

There is no solution that will suit, or be fair, by everyone.
  • edited November 2009
    Ladies & Gents,
    34 teams tried to get into this event, which was originally limited to 16 teams.  APAT increased the capacity to 20 teams, to be fair and reasonable and give as many teams an opportunity to compete for the UK Championship as was possible. Despite this, 14 teams were left on the sidelines and I'm sure many will be trying harder to get an invite next year.  
    I believe Sky Poker; as one of the few new teams who have made it into this year's event, now need to get wholly behind your captain and Bernie as the organiser; and be seen to be 100% together.  Where decisions have been taken, support them. The team who wins the Championship will not necessarily contain the best individuals, it will be the team who best supports each other throughout two days of big decisions, bad beats and no cards.  Start standing together today.
    Regards,
    Des.
  • edited November 2009
    Ladies & Gents, 34 teams tried to get into this event, which was originally limited to 16 teams.  APAT increased the capacity to 20 teams, to be fair and reasonable and give as many teams an opportunity to compete for the UK Championship as was possible. Despite this, 14 teams were left on the sidelines and I'm sure many will be trying harder to get an invite next year.   I believe Sky Poker; as one of the few  new  teams who have made it into this year's event, now need to get wholly behind your captain and Bernie as the organiser; and be seen to be 100% together.  Where decisions have been taken, support them. The team who wins the Championship will not necessarily contain the best individuals, it will be the team who best supports each other throughout two days of big decisions, bad beats and no cards.  Start standing together today. Regards, Des.
    Posted by Sky_Des
    Marvellous post there Des!!!.

Look even if i don't qualify to be a part of Team Sky Poker there is a good chance ill still come and cheer on the SP troops anyway and possibly lose a fortune on the roulette wheel at the same time lol!!!
  • edited November 2009
    i reckon the best and most fair way to decide this is a WWE Royal rumble, 27 men enter 1 man leave