You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DIARY OF A DISILLUSIONED DEGENERATE -

Comments

• edited January 2013
    A bit late to the party as I'm catching up with 3 weeks worth of forum posts, but gl with your pokers and the diary.

Your recent form gives hope to all of us. ;)
  • edited January 2013

Monday DTD night - nothing to report apart from the fact i didnt bubble any tournies tonight.....TBF.....I didnt even see the aero wrapper as I was that far from it!

OH.....coming down with man flu! It could be a long week :(
  • edited January 2013

Reading some of the other diaries, I notice a few are running bad. I am too now......ban diaries IMO. I hope we all turn it around soon!

Message to someone who said in chat tonight that this diary was boring and sends him to sleep......DON'T BOTHER READING IT! #simple. Plus, if you think you can do any better, go ahead. Then again, he wont be reading this #fail.

• edited January 2013

A welcome return of cashing in MTT's tonight. Only played 3 but cashed in them ALL. Played the mini, 8.15 deepy and the 2K B/H. Only min cashed in all of them but it is still nice to stop the rot.

Hopefully, this will turn it around now.
  • edited January 2013
    Don't understand why you blind yourself out after the bubble has gone.
  • edited January 2013
    So is your poker a bit like Stoke fc, bit boring but hard to beat lol.
  • edited January 2013

Mid January update.

Poker news
    I ran well up to and over Xmas but since the start of the year, I have not run so well. Not sure I can put my finger on anything I am doing wrong, and as I am not one to post hands and get 199 different replies as to how I should of played it in my 10 seconds of thinking, will just put it down to VARIANCE!
    Anyway, I turned it around last night slightly with a small MTT R/U which has sort of stopped the rot. This was from the 12am (love playing late at night;pity I have to work for a living).

£400gtd £11 B/I      
    MAXALLY02£122
    This was from the 1am...sigh.
    £200gtd £5.50 B/I
    bigorange09£11.72
    MAXALLY010 

Life news
    Had some house improvements done over the last couple of months and after some inconvenience and upheaval, my abode is finally getting back to something like a house. NEVER believe a estimated price/finish date btw.

As I am getting older (pushing 29 now), peoples treatment of others amazes me sometimes. I am not talking about the world wide suffering of millions of war torn/poverty stricken/sick people who are unfortunately out there....no, I am on about how folk treat each other via this world wide web of ours. I watched a interesting programme the other night called 'dont blame it on Facebook'. Worries me what the world will be like in a hundred years or so....not safe online or offline I guess.
    Another one of my current bug bears ATM are people having to comment on stuff when they do not have all the facts to hand but will go off on one anyway. That is another failing of the internet communication system in my book.

Loving the snow we have. Miss not having the money for skiing holidays nowadays. I also love how this country grinds to a halt at first sign of the fluffy white stuff. Great example of this was yesterday at work. I managed to do the normal half an hour journey in just over an hour. The snow was TBF coming down thick and fast over North Stoke and staff at our works were permitted to leave early. No real problem with that.....apart from I found it funny that all the 4x4 vehicle owners and those who live closest to work, left 1st! . I live the furthest away and locked up at the normal time for a Friday. Don't panic Mr Mannering. :)

Anyway.....enough waffle/rubbish from me.....will update again at the end of the month if there are no other questions.

GL all on the tables.....and be careful out there!

• edited January 2013
    Diaries are a curse imo....

I started mine on the back of a good run and then it all went pear shaped.

What are your actual goals here??? Most other diaries have a br target they are aiming for or they are trying out a new format....makes for a more interesting read. I'm not saying this diary is dull, but it's not what I expected from one of the "comedians" of the forum :P
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: DIARY OF A DISILLUSIONED DEGENERATE:
    Diaries are a curse imo.... I started mine on the back of a good run and then it all went pear shaped. What are your actual goals here??? Most other diaries have a br target they are aiming for or they are trying out a new format....makes for a more interesting read. I'm not saying this diary is dull, but it's not what I expected from one of the "comedians" of the forum :P
    Posted by waller02

Cheers for your question Rik :):)

Not really set any 'goals' any such as I do not want to get to that stage where I am playing because 'I have to' rather than playing what and when I want to....if that makes sense.

I would like to reach 2k C4P's though this month, but will not worry if i don't.
    I am currently on 1,206. As you know, I only play MTT's/STT's, so I need to sat into a few of the bigger games this month I think.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: DIARY OF A DISILLUSIONED DEGENERATE : Cheers for your question Rik :):) Not really set any 'goals' any such as I do not want to get to that stage where I am playing because 'I have to' rather than playing what and when I want to....if that makes sense. I would like to reach 2k C4P's though this month, but will not worry if i don't. I am currently on 1,206. As you know, I only play MTT's/STT's, so I need to sat into a few of the bigger games this month I think.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Ah right cool ty for reply. I was also curious about whether you made any changes in you game which contributed to your good run or did you play your usual game and just didn't run bad for a change? Has confidence helped too as I have noticed you are a lot more aggro early doors these days (to the extent where I had to re-write my notes on you lol)

Oh and.....are you really only 29? (long paper round??) :)
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: DIARY OF A DISILLUSIONED DEGENERATE : Ah right cool ty for reply. I was also curious about whether you made any changes in you game which contributed to your good run or did you play your usual game and just didn't run bad for a change? Has confidence helped too as I have noticed you are a lot more aggro early doors these days (to the extent where I had to re-write my notes on you lol) Oh and.....are you really only 29? (long paper round??) :)
    Posted by waller02

I have been thinking about your question Ryan, but I honestly do not know the answer. I wish I did know how or why I was running good for a small period of time. I just play the cards/situations in front of me and hope the poker gods are not too hard on me TBH. Hence this January review coming up......
  • edited January 2013

January review

To be perfectly honest, it has been a bloody nightmare! I have lost quite a bit of my BR this month by playing too many sats/chasing my loses/not running too good. Variance has decided to volley me in the never regions with a pair of doc martains!

Example of this was tonight.

Sated into the 5K £110 B/H in a £3 aipf jobbie.....wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    52 runners.....6 paid.
    I bubbled in 7th (with NO bounties) after twice getting it in ahead and not holding......boooooooo
    However, I did manage to scrape over the 2K C4P's total that I wanted this month.......wiiiiiiiiiiiii
    I have probably had my worst month ever doing it though.....booooooooo

Goals for February

Unsure yet, but I will be dropping back in volume played and go back to my roots and play the smaller tournies (I know my level!). I will hopefully play some sats into the bigger games and rely on my skill to bink some of them all in pre flop sats :)

Summary......

BR - down
    C4P's - 2K+

On a cheerier note, it is my lad's birthday tomorrow and he will be 12 going on 17. So I am looking forward to that at least. The proudest moment of my life was when he was born and I love him to bits. He puts life run bad into perspective at times, and I am still so proud off him.

Happy Birthday Max  XX

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: DIARY OF A DISILLUSIONED DEGENERATE - JANUARY REVIEW:
    January review To be perfectly honest, it has been a bloody nightmare! I have lost quite a bit of my BR this month by playing too many sats/chasing my loses/not running too good. Variance has decided to volley me in the never regions with a pair of doc martains! Example of this was tonight. Sated into the 5K £110 B/H in a £3 aipf jobbie.... .wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 52 runners.....6 paid. I bubbled in 7th (with NO bounties) after twice getting it in ahead and not holding...... boooooooo However, I did manage to scrape over the 2K C4P's total that I wanted this month....... wiiiiiiiiiiiii I have probably had my worst month ever doing it though.... .booooooooo Goals for February Unsure yet, but I will be dropping back in volume played and go back to my roots and play the smaller tournies (I know my level!). I will hopefully play some sats into the bigger games and rely on my skill to bink some of them all in pre flop sats :) Summary...... BR - down C4P's - 2K+ On a cheerier note, it is my lad's birthday tomorrow and he will be 12 going on 17. So I am looking forward to that at least. The proudest moment of my life was when he was born and I love him to bits. He puts life run bad into perspective at times, and I am still so proud off him. Happy Birthday Max  XX
    Posted by MAXALLY

great way to finish this post off Alan, well done on the updates throughout the month.

1 question for you, do you think doing this diary helped you keep focus, or did it heap more pressure on you?

Happy Birthday to young Max, and, have a great day with your son pal :)

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: DIARY OF A DISILLUSIONED DEGENERATE - JANUARY REVIEW : great way to finish this post off Alan, well done on the updates throughout the month. 1 question for you, do you think doing this diary helped you keep focus, or did it heap more pressure on you? Happy Birthday to young Max, and, have a great day with your son pal :)
    Posted by scouse_red

Cheers for the question Chris. I don't think doing a diary made any difference TBH as I just played as and when I wanted. Like I have already said, I really wanted this diary to be slightly different and not set myself targets as such and not include too much poker moans/brags. Hopefully mix poker stuff with life stuff with a bit of banter along the way. :)

Cheers for the Birthday wishes for Max, I will pass them onto him.
  • edited February 2013
    Love to claim this as mine,  But it came from Maxally himself.

Calls himself "Torres" now.  As he keeps missing everything...    Class ;o)
  • edited February 2013

Going back to my roots this month has tonight proved dividends. I played some of the cheap deepstacks earlier and actually enjoyed my night of poker, which made a refreshing change of late!

In the 7.15pm I went out in 62nd/107 after my KK was cracked by 10 10. The person on the end of that suck out went on to win the tournie.

In the 7.45pm I min cashed in 14th/178.

In the 8.15pm I finally hit some run good and actually won it! There were 6 cash spots out of 48 runners.

MAXALLY2400001£88.80       I think I should play these games more often :)

• edited February 2013
    Binkety bink! Very well played.
    MAXALLY   172000    1    £397.75 + £189.93 Head Prizes  3
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: DIARY OF A DISILLUSIONED DEGENERATE -:
    Binkety bink! Very well played. MAXALLY   172000    1    £397.75 + £189.93 Head Prizes   3
    Posted by GaryQQQ

TY Gary. It was from a £6 sat too, so it felt even sweeter. :)
  • edited February 2013

Yes, in true Tommyd style, I shall update my diary now after a couple of good binks. I do believe this is the industry standard now for forum diaries after reading Grog's diary!.

As well as the above bink, I also managed another result in the 12am £400 gtd last night.

MAXALLY02£125.40
    Both of these were late night tournies where I seem to save my run good for. However, as I work full time, can not play them as much as I would like to.

Is Pool like Poker?

I am Vice Chairman of our local pool league and we are 3 weeks into a new season. However, the committee are currently working overtime to sort out a few 'incidents' already that have occurred during the matches.
    This got me thinking how pool players are sometimes like poker players...

Pool - Do not like losing   
    Poker - Do not like losing

Pool - Do like winning
    Poker - Do like winning

Some do not like being told how they should of played a shot/played a hand after the event. While others love an inquisition!

Pool players get very upset if a lucky shot beats them in a game......
    Poker players get very upset if a lucky card beats them in a hand.....

Oh, I could go on and on......but I wont as I will probably get timed out while writing this post and no one is interested in my ramblings anyway!

Super Sunday....lets go!

BR - up a bit!
    C4P - smashed the 500 mark!

• edited February 2013
    DYED my roots this month has tonight proved dividends. I played some of the cheap deepstacks earlier and actually enjoyed my night of poker, which made a refreshing change of late! In the 7.15pm I went out in 62nd/107 after my KK was cracked by 10 10. The person on the end of that suck out went on to win the tournie. In the 7.45pm I min cashed in 14th/178. In the 8.15pm I finally hit some run good and actually won it! There were 6 cash spots out of 48 runners. MAXALLY 240000 1 £88.80               I think I should play these games more often :)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    FYP.

Gl with the diary Alan and hopefully the binkage will continue this month.
  • edited February 2013
    Yes, in true Tommyd style, I shall update my diary now after a couple of good binks. I do believe this is the industry standard now for forum diaries after reading Grog's diary!. As well as the above bink, I also managed another result in the 12am £400 gtd last night. MAXALLY 0 2 £125.40 Both of these were late night tournies where I seem to save my run good for. However, as I work full time, can not play them as much as I would like to. Is Pool like Poker? I am Vice Chairman of our local pool league and we are 3 weeks into a new season. However, the committee are currently working overtime to sort out a few 'incidents' already that have occurred during the matches. This got me thinking how pool players are sometimes like poker players... Pool - Do not like losing    Poker - Do not like losing Pool - Do like winning Poker - Do like winning Some do not like being told how they should of played a shot/played a hand after the event. While others love an inquisition! Pool players get very upset if a lucky shot beats them in a game...... Poker players get very upset if a lucky card beats them in a hand..... Oh, I could go on and on......but I wont as I will probably get timed out while writing this post and no one is interested in my ramblings anyway! Super Sunday....lets go! BR - up a bit! C4P - smashed the 500 mark!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Pool players have more balls !
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: DIARY OF A DISILLUSIONED DEGENERATE - : Pool players have more balls !
    Posted by VespaPX
    well they do have more balls than me,:):):)
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: DIARY OF A DISILLUSIONED DEGENERATE - : well they do have more balls than me,:):):)
    Posted by paige55
    CUE the music !
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: DIARY OF A DISILLUSIONED DEGENERATE - : CUE the music !
    Posted by VespaPX

Just CHALK in down to experience.
  • edited February 2013

Weird night. Bubbled THREE MTT's but thankfully cashed in a few others to cushion the blow (slightly...ish). Also won two all in sats, one to the main and one to the £55 B/H. Had fun but didnt cash, but the points helped :)

Hit some wonderful one outers......cracked aces and kings with queens and jacks.....also not won a hand v King high all night. My new name for this hand is just 'sigh'.

BR - Ticking over nicely
    C4P's - smashed the 1K mark
  • edited February 2013
    First time reader - long time ally. 

are you vice captain of you own life? :P 
  • edited February 2013

Diary found on page 7......sigh, no one cares.

So, just for my benefit then I will do a quick update for the month as I will not be around for a few days while I organise (botch up) a stock take at work.....really looking forward to that....NOT!

Had a small bink tonight from an all in £3 sat to round the month off nicely.

£4 B/H. 102 runners, £55 buy in. Was 2nd in chips but lost two flips with AK v Q8 on a A88 board and AJ v 10 10 aipf. Anyway, I ended up in ninth.

MAXALLY09£81.60 + £104.29 Head Prizes4
    Overall for the month I think I am slightly up but not by much and tonight got through the 2K C4P's mark.

See you all in March......or maybe not if no one is reading this. Should I start posting HH's/diet plans/or just update every day?? :):)
  • edited February 2013
    Where do you work? 
  • edited March 2013
    Where do you work? 
    Posted by 68Trebor

I work for the UK's largest aluminium stockholders. We have branches all over the place but I work at the Midlands Depot  as a Purchasing Manager/Stock Controller.
    The stock take this w/end entailed the counting of £1.5M of stock in about 1200 different items. It took two days to count it all and a whole day to audit the variance report to an acceptable level. 

Thankfully, it is now done and dusted and a new month has started.
  • edited March 2013

As I am still up after just updating the GaryQQQ's result page, while he is away, a quick update.

Hit some downward variance the last few days, but as I mainly play MTT's, it is expected every now and again.

One bubble stung a bit tonight though. In the 12am £400 gtd I was sitting in 2nd or 3rd place with 7 left and 6 paid. I was constantly getting raised on my BB by the CL on my table so decided to make a stance with 72! Ok, not a great idea but when the flop came J72 rainbow.....happy days. It all went in and I was called by J9, which I was happy with TBH. He then hit runner runner to complete his flush :(   It was double annoying has the min cash was for about £35 and there was a player away on the other table! Sigh.

On a brighter note......

BR - Down from start of month.
    C4P's - Already smashed the 500 point mark

Off to AL's Bar to drown my sorrows!