You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Can Make You Thin!!

Comments

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Can Make You Thin!!:
    In Response to Re: Sky Can Make You Thin!! : Cheers Matt  Vegas again this year?
    Posted by dylan12
    I really hope so mate, will be trying to sat in again. If I cant get in through a sat I will need some serious binks to afford it!
  • edited February 2013
    When I lost 2-3 stone a few years ago what helped most was a calorie counter (used weight watchers software I 'found' on the net) and weighing myself every morning. The software pointed out easy wins (replace soft drinks / beer with water, realise how bad snacks are etc) and the daily weigh-in showed the correlation between taking in less calories and losing weight, even if it's only marginal. After a while both the counting and weighing became routine and I also changed my behaviour permanently, so when I stopped eventually I didn't put the weight back on.
    Posted by Giant811

+1 to the daily weigh-in, 'tis the carrot & the stick to stay on course

also important to note that not all calories are the same from a dietary perspective - replace carbs with fish & meat
    i lost 10+kg a few years back by ditching bread, rice & potatoes from my diet (only exception being for a sandwich if needing some fast food) - while still drinking wine & beer
    i wouldn't recommend this long term, but for a month or so to get things going it might be worth a try

• edited February 2013
    Thanks for the advice guys! 

Is it truely better to weigh myself every day then? Seems to be two camps surrounding this, I know most have told me to just do it per week but I do fancy the daily weigh in tho so what do the majority think?

I have been pretty good, not awesome, just good, so far. 

Each morning I have had a small bowl of cereal, each lunch time I eat a small tin of soup and I snack on grapes, apple and bananna during the day. In the evening I eat some meat with two lots of veg but no potatos and a dash of bisto gravy. 

Water intake has increased from 0 glasses per day to around 3 pint glasses per day to date. 

Today was a bad day though, I was off on training all day so began the day with my usual cereal and then for lunch they laid out a buffet so I had a couple of sandwiches, handfull of crisps, half a pork pie and ate a bowl of fruit. This time last week I had a similar buffet and ate around 3 sandwiches, 3 chicken drumsticks, 2 small pancake rolls, couple of handfulls of crisps, 2 x choclate cakes and a couple of bits of fruit. 

FOr dinner tonight I am babysitting my 3 nieces and they wanted pizza so cooked them that and had a small slice myself and have a bowl of fruit waiting for me when they go to bed. 

Not a great day food wise but in comparison to the past it aint that bad but back to the usual routine tomorrow. 
  • edited February 2013
    Right at todays weigh in 93.1 kg Target over 6 months 80 kg(about a lb a week) I have downloaded Myfitness pal onto my windows phone. Looks good. Tells me to reach my target, I will need to consume 1600 calories daily! I have planned in 2 sessions of 20  minutes exercise per week.
    Posted by wynne1938

Nice one Wynne, look forward to reading your updates 

Only waiting for Dai to update now then, probably busy in Mc donalds eating :) 

• edited February 2013
     Not a great day food wise but in comparison to the past it aint that bad but back to the usual routine tomorrow. 
    Posted by dylan12
    that's the key point - if even on your bad days you are better than previously you WILL make it.
  • edited February 2013
    Definitely don't think you should weigh yourself daily. There will be fluctuations in weight from one day to the next for various reasons, whether you've increased your muscle, are retaining water, need the toilet or w/e. It could be the incentive you need but equally you could see an increase and assume you've done something wrong which may not be the case.

Just like poker, don't focus on your results every single day, just keep doing the right things and assess over a longer period :)
  • edited February 2013
    Weighed myslef this morning, six days in...

Starting Weight - 18st 4lbs

Target Weight - 16st 4lbs 

Current Weight - 18st 0lbs 

A total weight loss of 4lbs, not bad all things considered 

• edited February 2013
    Weighed myslef this morning, six days in... Starting Weight - 18st 4lbs Target Weight - 16st 4lbs  Current Weight - 18st 0lbs  A total weight loss of 4lbs, not bad all things considered 
    Posted by dylan12
    Well done Dylan!
  • edited February 2013
    Definitely don't think you should weigh yourself daily. There will be fluctuations in weight from one day to the next for various reasons, whether you've increased your muscle, are retaining water, need the toilet or w/e. It could be the incentive you need but equally you could see an increase and assume you've done something wrong which may not be the case. Just like poker, don't focus on your results every single day, just keep doing the right things and assess over a longer period :)
    Posted by Lambert180

This 10x. Weekly weigh in would be more than adequate. I'm on a fairly strict diet myself right now, mixed with heavy weight lifting/cardio so I know what your going through. I can thoroughly recommend protein shakes, low in calories/fat, high in protein which will keep you fuller for longer. Will also help with post-workout sugar cravings and recovery (assuming you are working out).

Best of luck
  • edited February 2013
    Weighed myslef this morning, six days in... Starting Weight - 18st 4lbs Target Weight - 16st 4lbs  Current Weight - 18st 0lbs  A total weight loss of 4lbs, not bad all things considered 
    Posted by dylan12
    Woop woop. Great start!
  • edited February 2013
    OK sorry about the delay but work has been full on, and has me in lots of airports  eating lots of bad food.

Start weight 19st 3lb on the 21st of Feb

target is 16st 7lb by the 1st of June

I have shocked my self on how much bad food I eat! This last week i have recorded all the food and drink i have had each day. WOW last Saturday i consumed over 4000 calories which is double what i need each day.

As a result i am 19st 1lb today a small start but going the right way.
    The discipline i will need to do this is enormous and being out of my normal routine has not helped but i will give it a good go and when work goes back to normal it should be easy

This next week will be hard i fly to Germany tonight then on to the USA and get home a week Saturday. So i may not get to post for a week or so, but the belly is on the move i am going to try and shift some weight by the end of march.

Dai
  • edited February 2013
    Nice post Dai and thanks to everyone for the advice so far! 

Not an easy task this weight loss thing and I know others who are following my/our progress on this thread whilst trying to lose weight as well so hope that all the good advice received on here will benefit them as well. 

This week will be tough Dai, America is not an easy place to go and diet but having identified your eating habits I think you won't over indulge over there now, just don't cut everything out, have a good time but eat less (not easy in America lol), looking forward to hearing how it all went out there when you get back mate! 
  • edited February 2013
    Hi dylan. Good luck with the weight loss. My weight yoyos between 13/15st but in december 2010 found myself the wrong side of 16st which is really overweight for me as im not big/muscular, it was all fat. I decided to lose weight, joined the gym trained nearly every day and starved myself most of the time eating barely enough just to have enough energy to get on the treadmill the next day!! I weighed myself everyday and to be honest i wouldnt do it again.. It turned into an addiction for me. I would religiously weigh every morning, sometimes even after every meal and as sad as it sounds after every visit to the bathroom ;)
    The weight came off really fast and within 10 months was under 12st.  I would not recommend this as like i said it was like an addiction and because i was losing weight too fast and not healthily, as soon as the diet stopped because i was so thin people were asking me if i were ill, the weight pilled back on until i was 16st again. This time i eat healthy  and exercise in moderation and got myself to a healthy 13.5st to which i have been for the past few months.  My main tip would be cut out the carbs, but if you have to have them not after 6pm.
  • edited March 2013
    Hi Darren

Thanks for your post, I am very much taking the line that you suggested of moderate excercise and eating healthier. I am not eating perfectly but a lot better than I was and I think the key is to do everything in moderation. Thanks for sharing your story, glad you shared that, it can become an obsession I suppose but never thought about it before! 
  • edited March 2013
    Day 13

Current Weight - 17st 12lbs 

Bit of a party weekend beginning tonight so will have to watch my portion sizes because the food I will be consimung is not that great for the diet, add on to that the alcohol as well! 

Really happy with where I am weight wise at the moment so just need to step the excercise regime next week now and remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint :) 
  • edited March 2013
    Day 13 Starting Weight - 18st 4lbs Target Weight - 16st 4lbs Current Weight - 17st 12lbs  Bit of a party weekend beginning tonight so will have to watch my portion sizes because the food I will be consimung is not that great for the diet, add on to that the alcohol as well!  Really happy with where I am weight wise at the moment so just need to step the excercise regime next week now and remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint :) 
    Posted by dylan12
    You could always go for white wine and soda.  ;)

Well done so far. 
  • edited March 2013
    Hahaa, cheers Dave 

Had a bit of a pig out but not all that bad tbf

Had a couple of beers as well, even though I am stricter with myself than before I will still be enjoying myself now and again :) 

Been looking at the SPT Dublin leg, will be more than likely attending that weekend.
    I love Dublin and lived there for 2 years so I enjoy going back there as often as possible so the Spt weekend gives me another excuse. I however will not be looking forward to the prices though but hey-ho all worth it and the Guinness is just beautiful, gg diet that weekend!! 
  • edited March 2013
    You dont have to miss out to get thin!
    Think about the order you eat things!
    Fruit and Veg go through the system faster than meats! but will turn to fat if held up, while the metabolism digests the beef, chicken, pork etc
    My friend lost 11 stone eating his fruit and veg courses before his meat.
    He's also well into fish poached in milk rather than covered in batter.
    Very best of luck Dylan! the whole forums behind you!
  • edited March 2013
    You dont have to miss out to get thin! Think about the order you eat things! Fruit and Veg go through the system faster than meats! but will turn to fat if held up, while the metabolism digests the beef, chicken, pork etc My friend lost 11 stone eating his fruit and veg courses before his meat. He's also well into fish poached in milk rather than covered in batter. Very best of luck Dylan! the whole forums behind you!
    Posted by cleansweep
    Jeez, thank you for posting this, I had no idea, maybe I am being thick but never thought about eating fruit/veg before the meat, I normally eat my meat and then binge on fruit after. I will bare that in mind, awesome, thanks again for the post and the support :) 
  • edited March 2013
    You dont have to miss out to get thin! Think about the order you eat things! Fruit and Veg go through the system faster than meats! but will turn to fat if held up, while the metabolism digests the beef, chicken, pork etc My friend lost 11 stone eating his fruit and veg courses before his meat. He's also well into fish poached in milk rather than covered in batter. Very best of luck Dylan! the whole forums behind you!
    Posted by cleansweep
    No offense, but this is the equivilent of a player saying they'd rather get dealt AK than AA, because it's easier to get away from. All I can say is, don't listen to this lol. 
  • edited March 2013
    Hahaa, cheers Dave  Had a bit of a pig out but not all that bad tbf Had a couple of beers as well, even though I am stricter with myself than before I will still be enjoying myself now and again :)  Been looking at the SPT Dublin leg, will be more than likely attending that weekend. I love Dublin and lived there for 2 years so I enjoy going back there as often as possible so the Spt weekend gives me another excuse. I however will not be looking forward to the prices though but hey-ho all worth it and the Guinness is just beautiful, gg diet that weekend!! 
    Posted by dylan12

Sounds like it is going well mate.....I hope you keep it up! (and the diet).

The SPT could be tricky like you said to maintain your excellent progress. It is obv you want to go and enjoy it and why not. The only rubbish advice I could give you is try and eat some healthily stuff while there (fruits, yoghurts, etc etc) rather than kebabs, pizzas and more kebabs!

One other piece of advice.....drink HALVES!! of the black stuff!! Yes, I know you may have your leg pulled (esp by me if I go!) but this will assist you in not going OTT with your alcohol intake that w/end. ish. 

Or if Dai attends.......go rounds with him because he will only buy ONE all w/end!!  :)

• edited March 2013
    Day 21

Current Weight - 17st 10.5lbs 

A 1.5lbs loss this week, should have been more probably but had a Chinese this weekend. 

• edited March 2013
    Day 21 Starting Weight - 18st 4lbs Target Weight - 16st 4lbs Current Weight - 17st 10.5lbs  A 1.5lbs loss this week, should have been more probably but had a Chinese this weekend. 
    Posted by dylan12
    Nice going mate!
  • edited March 2013
    I have to say, I am enjoying this diet malarky, can't say that I am outstanding at it and I have had a treat now and again (chinese last weekend and a couple of Roast dinners), those apart, I have been pretty strict. One thing that I have noticed is that I am more conscious with regards to portion sizes, before, I used to just eat until I finished the whole plateful of food which I would heap full! Now I put smaller portions on my plate and am not hungry after it so that is a good sign :) 

The downside of all this is that I need new jeans/trousers and a new belt as my trousers keep falling down lol, bit embarassing at times, especially when walking around the supermarket with my basket in one hand and my 2 year old niece being carried so my other hand is in use and I feel my trousers slipping further and further down, won't go any further but it wasn't a nice scene! 

Poker wise, I feel that I have more energy when on the grind, loaded quite a few table up recently with mixed results but trying to get back into the groove of things really so splashing around a lot and trying new things so all good. I have a few poker related trips lined up in the next few months so looking forward to that and meeting with some friends that I haven't seen for a while. 

Mr Daiboot is back from Las Vegas so hope he and Wynne are about to update their progress soon. 
  • edited March 2013
    I have to say, I am enjoying this diet malarky, can't say that I am outstanding at it and I have had a treat now and again (chinese last weekend and a couple of Roast dinners), those apart, I have been pretty strict. One thing that I have noticed is that I am more conscious with regards to portion sizes, before, I used to just eat until I finished the whole plateful of food which I would heap full! Now I put smaller portions on my plate and am not hungry after it so that is a good sign :)  The downside of all this is that I need new jeans/trousers and a new belt as my trousers keep falling down lol, bit embarassing at times, especially when walking around the supermarket with my basket in one hand and my 2 year old niece being carried so my other hand is in use and I feel my trousers slipping further and further down, won't go any further but it wasn't a nice scene!  Poker wise, I feel that I have more energy when on the grind, loaded quite a few table up recently with mixed results but trying to get back into the groove of things really so splashing around a lot and trying new things so all good. I have a few poker related trips lined up in the next few months so looking forward to that and meeting with some friends that I haven't seen for a while.  Mr Daiboot is back from Las Vegas so hope he and Wynne are about to update their progress soon. 
    Posted by dylan12

Keep up the good work buddy. We sell some nice belts if you need some ;)

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Can Make You Thin!! : Keep up the good work buddy. We sell some nice belts if you need some ;)
    Posted by hawk7112

Haha, Cheers buddy :) 

Mares rates obv on the belts, yeah ;) 

• edited March 2013
    Sky is making me thin too!!!!!

Have lost 336 Pounds so far in March!!

TYTY!!
  • edited March 2013
    Sky is making me thin too!!!!! Have lost 336 Pounds so far in March!! TYTY!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, lol!! 

Im the same, wish my weight flew off as quick as my BR, hehe :) 

• edited March 2013

Good progress sir, good luck.
  • edited March 2013
    just play poker so much you forget to eat bwhahaha