You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Welcome to Area 51

edited June 2012 in Area 51
We've been somewhat surprised by the popularity of discussions focused on randomness or fairness of our poker application.

As stated elsehwere our software is fully independently tested (by industry-leading experts) and we're regulated by the AGCC - however maybe there's little point to going over this again.

So - we thought we'd provide a dedicated area for our conspiracy theorists to get things off their chest, maybe feel better and still continue to play on our site!

I'll leave you with a wee thought...

Q. What does the random number generator in our poker software actually do?

A. It shuffles (very effectively) 52 cards once per hand - and once only

That's all really.

For example - if there are 6 people seated at the table - the software shuffles the cards - then deals 2 cards per player and the three flop cards.

Which players then fold, call or bet is irrelevent - the turn card is the same card that was next in the deck from the original shuffle. In this example it would be the 16th card (given the numbers seated at the table before the hand was dealt).

The same applies to the river card - it is the card that is next in the deck from the original shuffle. In this example the river card would be the 17th card in the deck from the original shuffle.

So the question is - with only one shuffle per hand  and no randomisation between the flop, turn and river cards being dealt - plus no prior knowledge (how could we?) of which players will fold - bluff, slow play etc - how do we still manage to produce all these bad beats?

Answers on a postcard...

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Peter, absolute legend!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now just e mail Bullyfish telling him the exact same thing, and also to insert his "proof" into a specific orifice.

Genius section and brilliant response.
  • edited July 2009
    love it     i think ive got up kirstiis nose big time       she loves me really peter   trust me         i would like to point out peter that kirstii SINGLES me out everytime     i think she has the problem here as last time i looked there were LOADS of posts from different people      so i would like you to tell her to stop name dropping certain individuals who last time i checked are quite entitled to freedom of speech    thank you
  • edited July 2009
    I think this section is a great idea as it still lets people vent and give their opinions but keeps it out of the other forum areas.

Your explanation of the RNG is very useful too. Previously I had thought that the RNG did more than one shuffle and a card coming on the flop may not have come if I hadn't folded etc and this is somethjing the presenters sometimes do elude to on Sky Poker during shows.

So now when I lay down a small pair to a big raise and the flop then sets up I know i made a bad decision.....
  • edited July 2009
    i must admit i thought that alot depended on when you folded   ie on the time bar    so its interesting to know
  • edited July 2009
    ive tried to be respectful to you      please stop hassling me     we will always agree to disagree on this subject    end of
  • edited July 2009
    Nice Post Peter.

I really hope it puts a stop to all this "rigged" nonsense.

For what it's worth, I don't think they are conspiracy theorists at all - I think they are trolls. And trolls are far worse than conspiracy theorists, as they set Members against each other by making provocative Posts with the sole intention of causing trouble. These are, of course, my personal views.

I'll get me coat.....;)
  • edited July 2009
    Do you mean the trolls that had waistcoats and sticky up orange hair? Cause i quite liked those ones!
  • edited July 2009

skyvegas isnt worth playing on all, i dont believe it is 95-99.99% because
    ive only had this average when i first started here. So cash in any winnings,
    dont give skybet the money which u win off other players!
    My roulette table has defied mathematics almost every single 10 minute
    counted session on there, this isnt random IF the poker is.  I believe, and
    in the interest of others not being made unhappy...not so much (but
    still some) spite that ive had worser luck here than at any other online
    site in 6 years!  U can put things down to coincidence for sure, but not
    as often as this place...i get the feeling they arent as rich as they want
    to be....who is??

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Welcome to Area 51:
    Nice Post Peter. I really hope it puts a stop to all this "rigged" nonsense. For what it's worth, I don't think they are conspiracy theorists at all - I think they are trolls. And trolls are far worse than conspiracy theorists, as they set Members against each other by making provocative Posts with the sole intention of causing trouble. These are, of course, my personal views. I'll get me coat.....;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    my sentiments entirely tk i think one or two people(i dont think i need to name them) just set out to cause trouble and wind players up,i have asked certain players to show some hand history of these many bad beats(up to 10 a night? apprently) but as yet have not seen any...
    as for the rng i'm glad peter has explained how it works,because i thought i depened on the time you take etc and numbers were then plucked out of the air,so now when i fold 52 off to a 5k all in and flop the fh i can really kick myself  lol

dave
  • edited July 2009
    All bow to daveyzz we're not worthy, we're not worthy
  • edited July 2009
    . as for the rng i'm glad peter has explained how it works,because i thought i depened on the time you take etc and numbers were then plucked out of the air,so now when i fold 52 off to a 5k all in and flop the fh i can really kick myself  lol dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

I agree, Dave, very useful info. I thought it worked that way too (I recently started a thread to discuss it).

Thanks Peter.

• edited July 2009
    I started believing it depended on whether i folded or not, made me feel much better folding K6 from the button and hitting k66. lol. Your going to make me start playing this junk again! lmao
  • edited July 2009
    is it really once per hand, cos ive read sumthin on blonde tht its constantly shuffling, so if u called the cards would b different? honest question btw lol just read the whole fred and they all thinkin the same, b interesting to get a definitive answer on it
  • edited July 2009
    In your explanation you have not mention the burn cards is this an over sight or is a new way of dealing
  • edited July 2009
    In your explanation you have not mention the burn cards is this an over sight or is a new way of dealing
    Posted by 1080CHEST
    As i understand it burn cards are only necessary in live poker.

Correct me if im wrong please Mr Sky.
  • edited July 2009
    greg  u gotta be right    burn in live games to stop foul play   eg marked cards   no need for burn online surely
  • edited July 2009
    greg  u gotta be right    burn in live games to stop foul play   eg marked cards   no need for burn online surely
    Posted by bullyfish

Agreed. 

• edited July 2009
     hi  pete  just  asking   about   random  shuffle   does  it  not  burn a card  before the turn   and  the  river  like u do  in live  poker    look  forward  to  hearing  from  u   bye
  • edited July 2009
     hi  pete  just  asking   about   random  shuffle   does  it  not  burn a card  before the turn   and  the  river  like u do  in live  poker    look  forward  to  hearing  from  u   bye
    Posted by scrumdown

As above really, don't see any point.

• edited July 2009
    Posted by 1080CHEST
    Hi 1080chest. Great question. As others have mentioned, the act of 'burning' cards is only necessary for live poker. I've done some research and we don't burn cards in our games, and this doesn't affect the randomness of the next card dealt in any way.

Hope this helps :-)
  • edited July 2009
    i have not played long on sky and i do know how a rng works the thing i do not understand and i have checked this from my history when a weaker hand goes allin with cards still to come the weaker hand allways wins as i,ve said i have checked my history and it,s happened everytime barr once infacted i played 2 sit and go,s tonight    1st hand I have Kd Qd i raise pre flop and get 1 caller flop Kc Qs 5s I raise and the caller goes allin I call the caller has Ks 10s  4s come out in the river  2nd hand heads up with a player who is going allin with every hand after about 7 allin,s Idecided to call with pocket kings my apponent turns up 6 2 off suit and i now i,m beat sure enough flop comes out 662 as i,ve said this is not a one off this has happens to me all but once   I don,t think its a conspiracy but i do think it,s the way the software is written has anyone else noticed this
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Welcome to Area 51 : Agreed. 
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Agreed x2
  • edited August 2009
    so does this mean that the big chip leaders never win ??????
    and they dont hit the cards just at the right time ?????
  • edited August 2009

I have been thinking on the issue of how to put to rest the theories of card manipulation by the site and I have the answer.  Publish the order of cards in the deck in advance and post it on the table before dealing the hands.  

Okay so not in a form that can be read but say convert the cards to numbers and use 128 bit public/private key encryption to secure.  This would allow independant auditing of hands after the event with the knowledge that the cards could not be changed mid flight.

Okay overkill I agree, but just a thought 

Occy

• edited August 2009
    With apologies to Monty Python-is this the right area for an argument?
  • edited September 2009
    i have not played long on sky and i do know how a rng works the thing i do not understand and i have checked this from my history when a weaker hand goes allin with cards still to come the weaker hand allways wins as i,ve said i have checked my history and it,s happened everytime barr once infacted i played 2 sit and go,s tonight    1st hand I have Kd Qd i raise pre flop and get 1 caller flop Kc Qs 5s I raise and the caller goes allin I call the caller has Ks 10s  4s come out in the river  2nd hand heads up with a player who is going allin with every hand after about 7 allin,s Idecided to call with pocket kings my apponent turns up 6 2 off suit and i now i,m beat sure enough flop comes out 662 as i,ve said this is not a one off this has happens to me all but once   I don,t think its a conspiracy but i do think it,s the way the software is written has anyone else noticed this
    Posted by RAINTOWN
    ooh yes my freind many a time. we end up playin the softwer  not the player. yr post is spot on pall
  • edited September 2009
    the amount of times i fold rubbish and then hit two pair is very high if its cheap to play its worth playing any two cards iv found
  • edited October 2009
    I play here and else where, I am amazed how many small hands win against a bigger hand ie pair beaten by 8 Q, I know its a pot of luck, I also notice if you are a small and you go all in with a very large stack 80% of the time the small stack walks even if he has a very good pocket pair or a very good calling hand.
    I just think, why this happens as when I play live at a table and not on a pc this does not happen. The software seams to go to the hands that are being played, or is this just me reading the game wrong.
    Has anyone else notice this?
    Otherwise when it comes down to bluffing and calling at the right time is part and part of the game.
  • edited October 2009
    RAINTOWN  I understand where you are coming from, it seams that first all in wins and another thing i notice if you are all in and the players have about the same amount of chips, the first has a pair (88) and another has AK and another has A 9 the nine will pop up to take the prize, which is good for the winner but if you play this live with a deck of cards, would it come up,hmmmm interesting question, possibly the pair could hold on.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Welcome to Area 51:
    We've been somewhat surprised by the popularity of discussions focused on randomness or fairness of our poker application. As stated elsehwere our software is fully independently tested (by industry-leading experts) and we're regulated by the AGCC - however maybe there's little point to going over this again. So - we thought we'd provide a dedicated area for our conspiracy theorists to get things off their chest, maybe feel better and still continue to play on our site! I'll leave you with a wee thought... Q. What does the random number generator in our poker software actually do? A. It shuffles (very effectively) 52 cards once per hand - and once only That's all really. For example - if there are 6 people seated at the table - the software shuffles the cards - then deals 2 cards per player and the three flop cards. Which players then fold, call or bet is irrelevent - the turn card is the same card that was next in the deck from the original shuffle. In this example it would be the 16th card (given the numbers seated at the table before the hand was dealt). The same applies to the river card - it is the card that is next in the deck from the original shuffle. In this example the river card would be the 17th card in the deck from the original shuffle. So the question is - with only one shuffle per hand  and no randomisation between the flop, turn and river cards being dealt - plus no prior knowledge (how could we?) of which players will fold - bluff, slow play etc - how do we still manage to produce all these bad beats? Answers on a postcard...
    Posted by Sky_Peter
    kirsti take yr nose out of peters but