You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary)

Comments

• edited November 2013
    gazza, you're a good player and I'm not sure dropping down in stakes massively is the answer. OK, it can't do much harm but at lower stakes you have to think differently and can often be less challenging with little improvement coming from it.

What's wrong with just leaving a 2k BR and dropping down to 20NL as your main game? Also really don't want to say "I told you so!" but I did know from previous experience that whilst having an aggresive BRM can work out well short term when you run well it can really hurt longer term when you have a downswing. Even if the money is not so important if you lose it, it can still affect you.

Anyway hope your luck turns around and GL with your plan! I do hope you binked a sat into the main event and didn't buy in direct ;)
  • edited November 2013
    'Whats wrong with leaving a 2k BR...'

Hmmm.  What if... you know, hypothetically, I took it out and spent it all on beer amongst other things.

Yes i'd like to stick 2k into my Sky account but its not possible at the minute.  I'm not playing well.  I'm certainly not running well and putting that amount of money (of which I dont really have) seems a bit risky... especially as I am prone to tilt up stakes.  Maybe 4nl isnt the place for me.  Tried a bit last night.  Heck it was irritating... however with my £100-150 from C4P tomorrow there is a possibility to spin it up whilst teaching myself the basics of BRM... at least until I think my game is back on track and/or variance stops kicking me in the teeth.

FWIW I deposited just enough tonight for the rebuy as its my favourite tournament and I was bored, before taking on this task for the next month.  I've now taken it back out.  If you've got any suggestions on how to go about this next month i'm wide open for opinions.

I'm not playing my best poker at the minute (even though I cashed in the main and the mini tonight).  I threw my chips away in the mini... well kinda. 
    ADEN Small blind   1000.00 1000.00 17987.50
    gazza127 Big blind   2000.00 3000.00 54207.50
      Your hole cards
    • A

ABSsDad Fold        
    bbMike Fold        
    AblindmanA Raise   4000.00 7000.00 70535.00
    JADEN Fold        
    gazza127 Raise   8000.00 15000.00 46207.50
    AblindmanA Call   6000.00 21000.00 64535.00
    Flop

• K

gazza127 Bet   8000.00 29000.00 38207.50
    AblindmanA Raise   16000.00 45000.00 48535.00
    gazza127 All-in   38207.50 83207.50 0.00
    AblindmanA All-in   48535.00 131742.50 0.00
    AblindmanA Unmatched bet   18327.50 113415.00 18327.50
    gazza127 Show
    • A

AblindmanA Show
    • K

Turn

River

AblindmanA Win Pair of Kings 113415.00   131742.50

He insta clicked it back on the flop.  He's seen me be very aggressive in the last couple of orbits and I knew he'd be a bit fed up of me by now.  So when he does click it back... to me at least this is a 'scr*w you i've got a little piece of this board' raise rather than 'i have the nuts and want to get the money in' raise.  I was right to some extent, and I think my shove does get through a lot of the time here.  Think I gave villain too much credit to fold out a pair - or maybe he read me like a book.  I'll never know.  He cant have been loving life when I 4 bet shove.

Im still running pretty poor.  Actually very poor.  I can think of 7 all ins pre flop tonight.  I lost 5 of them... the vast majority flips - luckily it was a rebuy. Strangely enough one I won was 22 v KK... the one where I was the big underdog.  Horrible beat of the night happened in the mini.
    M4VERICK Small blind   250.00 250.00 10745.00
    Jamash147 Big blind   500.00 750.00 8935.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

bigdaveys Fold        
    beer09 Raise   1500.00 2250.00 9158.75
    lee1104 Fold        
    gazza127 Raise   3000.00 5250.00 11633.75
    M4VERICK Fold        
    Jamash147 Fold        
    beer09 Call   1500.00 6750.00 7658.75
    Flop

beer09 All-in   7658.75 14408.75 0.00
    gazza127 Call   7658.75 22067.50 3975.00
    beer09 Show
    • A

gazza127 Show
    • K
    • K

Turn

River

• A

beer09 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 4s 22067.50   22067.50
    Felt like throwing my laptop out of the window at this point.  However managed to reign in my 8bbs and cash in 15th in the end... so theres a positive in there somewhere.

Main exit was just inside the money.  I had A6s in the BB with 10bb.  Button raised... I jammed.  Aces. GG.  Pretty standard exit hand.  Noone flats here.... and folding seems a bit nitty with the blinds just running through me when I have 10bb total.

So not a bad day today all in all.  Not much profit at all as I rebought in the main a couple of times, but its more the cashing of two tournaments which I can take away as a massive positive.
  • edited November 2013
    ''I had A6s in the BB with 10bb.  Button raised... I jammed.  Aces. GG.  Pretty standard exit hand.  Noone flats here.... and folding seems a bit nitty with the blinds just running through me when I have 10bb total''.

Can of worms Gazza!

Well done on 2 cashes though. When we have forum cash games, I'm gonna feel really bad stacking you at 4nl knowing you are only playing with C4P.....When are you free for a forum cash game? ;)
  • edited November 2013
    Well done on the cashes, and good luck with whatever you decide regarding playing poker.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary):
    ''I had A6s in the BB with 10bb.  Button raised... I jammed.  Aces. GG.  Pretty standard exit hand.  Noone flats here.... and folding seems a bit nitty with the blinds just running through me when I have 10bb total''. Can of worms Gazza! Well done on 2 cashes though. When we have forum cash games, I'm gonna feel really bad stacking you at 4nl knowing you are only playing with C4P.....When are you free for a forum cash game? ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Woha!

Lets open that can of worms... what do you do here?
  • edited November 2013
    I wouldn't worry about sticking in £2k anyway, you don't need it, you just need a bit of BRM. What's ya BR gonna be once you get your C4P?

Nice one on cashing the main and mini. No offence but I think we can definitely count that A7s as throwing away our chips lol. 3betting or folding pre is fine, cbetting is fine, but just ditch the hand when he raises, he's gonna have to call like 30k to win 85k, he's not folding a pair that he was willing to clickback.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary) : Woha! Lets open that can of worms... what do you do here?
    Posted by gazza127
    I think it's no secret I'd do exactly the same. 

Did you not consider raising perhaps half your stack pre? He might have folded AA as its pretty clear you have a monster.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary) : I think it's no secret I'd do exactly the same.  Did you not consider raising perhaps half your stack pre? He might have folded AA as its pretty clear you have a monster.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I did consider raising 9 of my BBs to induce a shove and convice myself I was priced in for a call with ATC... but decided that was fools play!

• edited November 2013
    I wouldn't worry about sticking in £2k anyway, you don't need it, you just need a bit of BRM. What's ya BR gonna be once you get your C4P? Nice one on cashing the main and mini. No offence but I think we can definitely count that A7s as throwing away our chips lol. 3betting or folding pre is fine, cbetting is fine, but just ditch the hand when he raises, he's gonna have to call like 30k to win 85k, he's not folding a pair that he was willing to clickback.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yeah it was kinda spewy.  I knew he was light... just didnt know how light.  Think he folds all pairs that isnt a K... and FWIW i reckon he clicks it back with all his pairs... and even some bluffs here - the board is dry and I have been uber aggro so he's going to be playing a bit more exotically...

TBH I don't know the exact amount of my C4P so cant say exactly what i'll be doing... but as said in my previous post i'll probably be sticking to 5 quid tournaments and below with say £125 in my roll.  Maybe a bit of 10nl should my roll increase.  Not sure what I can do otherwise.  Depositing a heap of money just seems reckless when im on a downswing.
  • edited November 2013
    This guy had been playing table captain for a good while, so it was very interesting when I saw you join the table as I know how you like to get stuck in.  I think for the first 4 or 5 hands the rest of us just sat there watching you 2 thrash it out, in my mind it was always going to end in a similar way. You could've easily both had nothing much at all there!
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah I know my play is high variance Geldy.  It's just been a horrible few days.... Made more irritating by the fact that I clearly started this diary at the wrong time!  3 weeks ago, I was running so well and this swing has just come at a time when I've decided to share it with the world!  Embarrassing much? I doubt I'll change my style of play.  Maybe i'll be a bit more conservative around the bubble (although I find it's always much more rewarding to put pressure on people at this time).  Who knows... Heres hoping to a change of fortune in the next few days... need it for pride more than anything else.
    Posted by gazza127
    from 6 months ago!

you have to chill out with regards the downswings if you want to play your style - they will happen and will hurt. sharkie says you've made decent money, and your downswings are pretty small in context. problem seems to be you withdrawing too much in the good times to ride out the bad.

assuming you don't want to change your style you either need to have a bigger bankroll or stronger brm. But brm isn't about all or nothing as you are currently suggesting but adjusting the stakes to the available bankroll.

gl

• edited November 2013
    This guy had been playing table captain for a good while, so it was very interesting when I saw you join the table as I know how you like to get stuck in.  I think for the first 4 or 5 hands the rest of us just sat there watching you 2 thrash it out, in my mind it was always going to end in a similar way. You could've easily both had nothing much at all there!
    Posted by bbMike
    Yeah think thats the only reason why i decided to do what I did - he seemed reluctant to let me come in and try and boss the table, which is fair enough.  So when he did click it back I thought there was a fair chance he could be doing it with any two cards.  I was never worried about a set or two pair here - the raise makes no sense on this board.  At best he was holding a Kx hand that wasnt AK... one he had, and one I thought if he did have I could shift him off.

Bit wreckless looking at it in a vacuum, but given player dynamic I wasn't too unhappy with the play.
  • edited November 2013
    Heck by all means spend the 2k on beer money! Maybe 2k is too much but what about a smaller amount of 600, where you could at least play some 5p/10p mixed in with the odd 20NL game that was really good. I mean I just think you might struggle trying to grind out 2p/4p. It really is a different game - rake is huge and we just have to play ABC for the most part. Plus there's less motivation to sit down and play when winning sessions are never going to be that huge. But each to their own! And depositing a heap isn't reckless just cause you're on a downswing - as I said and as you know you're a winning player, so as long as you're making ev+ decisions you're going to be winning money long term. Just have a better BRM.... then it's not so reckless!

A7 hand was somewhat spewy but at least you had a backdoor nut flush ;) I'm a big fan of small bet sizes in tournaments and they work really well for the most part but if you've just sat down at a table and a player knows nothing about you they might wrongly assume your weak bet size is weak - which is great when you actually have a hand. Not so good when you are just bluffing! Judging by oppo going ALL IN after your shove instead of just CALL I think he was more than happy to get it in btw! It's a massive tell that can't be exploited (people clicking all in instead of just calling meaning they are strong)

A6 hand - it seems standard but on sky vs many players it often isn't standard. Pay more attention to player tendancies and watch how often everyone is opening - too many players make far too few BTN steals. So we can exploit this by folding some hands we otherwise would jam with. In fact lots of players are positionally unaware in such a sense and will open with the same/similar range UTG as BTN. So I adjust my shoving range as so and instead ask myself "Would I shove XX hand vs UTG open" - in your case with A6s the answer would be no!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary) : from 6 months ago! you have to chill out with regards the downswings if you want to play your style - they will happen and will hurt. sharkie says you've made decent money, and your downswings are pretty small in context. problem seems to be you withdrawing too much in the good times to ride out the bad. assuming you don't want to change your style you either need to have a bigger bankroll or stronger brm. But brm isn't about all or nothing as you are currently suggesting but adjusting the stakes to the available bankroll. gl
    Posted by GELDY

It is awkward reading these kind of posts back (the ones I post), because time and time again I post something like 'eurgh... horrible downswing is getting to me' followed by a post a few weeks later 'binked a tourny for x amount :)'.

I should know by now that my game is high variance - a decision I make consciously... and a style of play which has proven to work long term.  So yeah, need to stop moaning and get on with it.  Yes, it doesnt help that I decide to withdraw some money when things are on the up as my BR doesnt let me breath when im on the down.  One of those things - I like treating myself to things now and again, and if poker can pay for that holiday I have planned rather than digging into my savings I tend to think 'why not?'

Maybe i'll deposit more in the near future and kick on, however short term im going to play it semi conservatively by playing £5 games where I don't need the biggest roll in the world to keep me occupied whilst bored, whilst also riding the downswing im on.
  • edited November 2013
    Heck by all means spend the 2k on beer money! Maybe 2k is too much but what about a smaller amount of 600, where you could at least play some 5p/10p mixed in with the odd 20NL game that was really good. I mean I just think you might struggle trying to grind out 2p/4p. It really is a different game - rake is huge and we just have to play ABC for the most part. Plus there's less motivation to sit down and play when winning sessions are never going to be that huge. But each to their own! And depositing a heap isn't reckless just cause you're on a downswing - as I said and as you know you're a winning player, so as long as you're making ev+ decisions you're going to be winning money long term. Just have a better BRM.... then it's not so reckless! A7 hand was somewhat spewy but at least you had a backdoor nut flush ;) I'm a big fan of small bet sizes in tournaments and they work really well for the most part but if you've just sat down at a table and a player knows nothing about you they might wrongly assume your weak bet size is weak - which is great when you actually have a hand. Not so good when you are just bluffing! Judging by oppo going ALL IN after your shove instead of just CALL I think he was more than happy to get it in btw! It's a massive tell that can't be exploited (people clicking all in instead of just calling meaning they are strong) A6 hand - it seems standard but on sky vs many players it often isn't standard. Pay more attention to player tendancies and watch how often everyone is opening - too many players make far too few BTN steals. So we can exploit this by folding some hands we otherwise would jam with. In fact lots of players are positionally unaware in such a sense and will open with the same/similar range UTG as BTN. So I adjust my shoving range as so and instead ask myself "Would I shove XX hand vs UTG open" - in your case with A6s the answer would be no!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Yeah im probably not going to be grinding 2p/4p.  I do think im much more likely to spew at this level than at 50nl for example - without being disrespectful to those that grind 4nl day in day out and make good money... I cant take it that seriously, know that a decent winning session will likely be a tenner.  Think i'll stick mostly to tournaments in the coming weeks and see how that goes.

I've explained the A7 hand and my reasonings for doing what I did.  As I said I think villain is clicking it back very very wide here so shoving in this scenario is going to be +ev long term.

The A6 hand was against a guy with a wide opening range anyway... let alone the button so I was more than happy to ship my hand expecting to see a lot of KQ, QJ, Q10, J10, 109 hands and worse call me.  Just a bit unfortunate that I ran into aces given his opening range.

I may deposit more money in the coming weeks, but going to see how I fair at lower stakes than I usually play.  I started at those stakes and built my roll up fairly quickly so I dont see why I wont be able to do it again.  Come the end of November i'll see where im at and reassess...  I may not need to deposit at all.
  • edited November 2013
    BR - £124

Still probably a relatively aggressive BR, but tournaments im looking at tonight include:

£100 Deepstack at 19:15 - £2.20
    £200 GTD at 19:30 - £5.50
    £400 BH at 20:05 - £2.30
    £2000 Mini BH at 20:30 - £5.50
    £200 GTD at 21:05 - £5.50
    £100 Deepstack at 21:15 - £2.20
    £250 GTD Speed at 21:45 - £2.20

So thats £25.40 of possible tournaments.

I'm definitely not going to play them all.  Possibly just one of the £200 GTDs and one of the Deepstacks.  Then its 5 tournaments for £17.70.

Sounds good to me.
  • edited November 2013
    Meh not remotely motivated to play... so you know what.. I wont :)

Going to chill and watch a film instead. Recommendations welcome.
  • edited November 2013
    Played a fair bit today.

Entered a number of £5 tournies with my epic £124 BR.  Cashed in two of them.  3rd and 5th respectively... But as I played something like 7/8 tournaments in total the overall profit was marginal.

Experienced a bit of run good tonight which made for a pleasant evening.  Although that one bit of run good was against Geldy getting towards the cash in one of the £200 Gtds.  I was above av stack on the Button with KJ.  Geldy was on the SB with roughly 11BBs if I remember correctly and I decided I would minraise/call any shove thinking Geldys shoving range is still going to be relatively wide with enough FE to fold out my average hands.  So I min-raised... he shoved and I called.  He had AK.  Woops.  Lucky for me the board decided to give me the nut straight - sorry Geldy.  If it makes you feel any better geldy my luck swiftly turned back the other way.

Got bored later on and as there are no tournaments and cash was a no go I decided to play some SnGs.  Only 11 quid games were running which was slightly irritating but I decided id enter 1 DYM and 1 HU Turbo.  Won both with very minimal fuss.

Not a bad day. Enjoyed most of what I played and ended the day in OK profit of £30... which doesnt seem like much but in terms of a £124 roll its like an extra 23% or something.
  • edited November 2013
    Although that one bit of run good was against Geldy getting towards the cash in one of the £200 Gtds.  I was above av stack on the Button with KJ.  Geldy was on the SB with roughly 11BBs if I remember correctly and I decided I would minraise/call any shove thinking Geldys shoving range is still going to be relatively wide with enough FE to fold out my average hands.  So I min-raised... he shoved and I called.  He had AK.  Woops.  Lucky for me the board decided to give me the nut straight - sorry Geldy.  If it makes you feel any better geldy my luck swiftly turned back the other way. 
    Posted by gazza127
    ironically it doesn't. as long as my chips have gone to a decent player i hope they bring them luck to go deep. and you were certainly playing decently - i was very pleased to be on your left and not the other way round.

not much you say! in the context of your new bankroll that was a storming performance. long may it continue.
  • edited November 2013
    Cheers Geldy.

Just played the longest HU game ever.  It was a normal heads up game... not turbo or speed.  Regged it by accident - thought it was speed.  So the blinds were 7 minutes which made for a much longer game than I intended.  I ground him down and got the massive chip lead quite early on... then a series of all ins all fell his way...
    dodger12 Small blind   25.00 25.00 310.00
    gazza127 Big blind   50.00 75.00 2615.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

dodger12 All-in   310.00 385.00 0.00
    gazza127 Call   285.00 670.00 2330.00
    dodger12 Show
    • K

gazza127 Show
    • A

Flop

• K

Turn

River

dodger12 Win Two Pairs, Kings and 9s 670.00   670.00
    dodger12 Small blind   40.00 40.00 165.00
    gazza127 Big blind   80.00 120.00 2715.00
      Your hole cards
    • K

dodger12 All-in   165.00 285.00 0.00
    gazza127 Call   125.00 410.00 2590.00
    dodger12 Show
    • Q
    • J

gazza127 Show
    • K

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

dodger12 Win Two Pairs, Queens and 6s 410.00   410.00
    dodger12 Small blind   40.00 40.00 250.00
    gazza127 Big blind   80.00 120.00 2630.00
      Your hole cards

dodger12 Call   40.00 160.00 210.00
    gazza127 Raise   320.00 480.00 2310.00
    dodger12 All-in   210.00 690.00 0.00
    gazza127 Unmatched bet   110.00 580.00 2420.00
    dodger12 Show

gazza127 Show

Flop

Turn

River

• A

dodger12 Win Pair of 8s 580.00   580.00
    gazza127 Small blind   40.00 40.00 2660.00
    dodger12 Big blind   80.00 120.00 220.00
      Your hole cards
    • J

gazza127 All-in   2660.00 2780.00 0.00
    dodger12 All-in   220.00 3000.00 0.00
    gazza127 Unmatched bet   2400.00 600.00 2400.00
    gazza127 Show
    • J

dodger12 Show

Flop

Turn

River

dodger12 Win Two Pairs, 10s and 9s 600.00   600.00
    gazza127 Small blind   50.00 50.00 2750.00
    dodger12 Big blind   100.00 150.00 100.00
      Your hole cards

gazza127 Raise   150.00 300.00 2600.00
    dodger12 All-in   100.00 400.00 0.00
    gazza127 Show

dodger12 Show

Flop

Turn

• A

River

dodger12 Win Straight to the 7 400.00   400.00
    I couldnt get rid of him!

Eventually got there.
    gazza127 Small blind   50.00 50.00 2600.00
    dodger12 Big blind   100.00 150.00 250.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q

gazza127 All-in   2600.00 2750.00 0.00
    dodger12 All-in   250.00 3000.00 0.00
    gazza127 Unmatched bet   2300.00 700.00 2300.00
    gazza127 Show
    • Q

dodger12 Show

Flop

• A

Turn

• K

River

gazza127 Win Flush to the Ace 700.00   3000.00
    So I won it which was good... but doubt i'll be visiting the normal HU SnGs any time soon.  Exhausting!
  • edited November 2013
    You know its not your day when this happens after a frozen table for a few seconds...
    sharonm Small blind   40.00 40.00 6085.00
    marlo99 Big blind   80.00 120.00 3780.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

theebeliev Call   80.00 200.00 2840.00
    XTUCKERX Call   80.00 280.00 3135.00
    gazza127 Fold        
    sharonm Call   40.00 320.00 6045.00
    marlo99 Check        
    Flop

• A

sharonm Check        
    marlo99 Check        
    theebeliev Check        
    XTUCKERX Bet   240.00 560.00 2895.00
    sharonm Fold        
    marlo99 Call   240.00 800.00 3540.00
    theebeliev Fold        
    Turn

marlo99 Check        
    XTUCKERX Bet   400.00 1200.00 2495.00
    marlo99 Call   400.00 1600.00 3140.00
    River

marlo99 Check        
    XTUCKERX Bet   400.00 2000.00 2095.00
    marlo99 Fold        
    XTUCKERX Muck        
    XTUCKERX Win   1600.00   3695.00
    XTUCKERX Return   400.00 0.00 4095.00

Then you realise its even worse as you proceed to tell the table what had happened and the villain says 'Its ok I had you beat.  I had two pair'

Sigh.
  • edited November 2013
    Not running well today!!
    88ham41 Small blind   150.00 150.00 2825.00
    floptherot Big blind   300.00 450.00 9135.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

XTUCKERX All-in   2920.00 3370.00 0.00
    sharonm Fold        
    gazza127 All-in   4050.00 7420.00 0.00
    BRUTAS Fold        
    88ham41 Fold        
    floptherot Fold        
    gazza127 Unmatched bet   1130.00 6290.00 1130.00
    XTUCKERX Show
    • A
    • K

gazza127 Show
    • K
    • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

XTUCKERX Win Flush to the Ace 6290.00   6290.00
  • edited November 2013
    Sigh, why couldn't the river be Jd just for some justice.
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah that hand absolutely sucked Lambert! Lol.

Anyway.  Today rather stupidly i played a few of my 'normal' £11 games despite not being remotely rolled for them.  They all went fruitless... that was until the midnight tournament.  I played the midnight and 12:30 - my two favourite tournaments without a shadow of a doubt.  The half 12 I ran awfully.  I mean absolutely shockingly.  Two hands of note: Got KK in on a 7710 flop against A10 only for an Ace to hit the river.  Got 25bbs all in pre with AJs (bounty involved)... cold called by J8 which got there.

But the 12:30 tournament is not the one I want to talk about.

The midnight tournament started off brilliantly actually.  I was quickly up to 8k and cruising in a smallish field.  Only 5 people were in it at the start (250 gtd) so I thought there was a decent chance of overlay.  But no... it got its 26 runners to break the guarentee.  A small field... but also a small payout structure - only top 3 were in the money.

I was running OK throughout the tournament, however when we got down to the last 12 (weird as we started with 5) I switched tables and my 10k stack dwindled to 4k and i found myself struggling.  I managed to sneak onto the final table and DU only to throw it away straight away raising into my flush draw and not getting there... and I was back to the short stack.

I had about 3.5k to everyone elses 12k+ 4 handed on the bubble at 150/300 blinds.  I looked to be in terrible shape.  Stealing blinds if and when I could (i never got called which was nice) and rolled my chips up to 5k by the time 250/500 blinds came around.  Then the important hand...
    gazza127 Small blind   250.00 250.00 5205.50
    ryan83 Big blind   500.00 750.00 16645.00
      Your hole cards

jp129 Raise   1300.00 2050.00 19680.50
    wi03 Fold        
    gazza127 All-in   5205.50 7255.50 0.00
    ryan83 Fold        
    jp129 Call   4155.50 11411.00 15525.00
    gazza127 Show

jp129 Show
    • J
    • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

gazza127 Win Two Pairs, 5s and 2s 11411.00   11411.00
    A won flip and I was back in it.

Then another spot presented itself and suddenly I was chip leader.
    yan83 Small blind   250.00 250.00 16395.00
    jp129 Big blind   500.00 750.00 7606.00
      Your hole cards

wi03 Fold        
    gazza127 Raise   1000.00 1750.00 9661.00
    ryan83 Fold        
    jp129 Call   500.00 2250.00 7106.00
    Flop

• K

jp129 All-in   7106.00 9356.00 0.00
    gazza127 Call   7106.00 16462.00 2555.00
    jp129 Show
    • K

gazza127 Show

Turn

River

gazza127 Win Three 7s 16462.00   19017.00
    I managed to swing my weight around a couple of times and put a bit of pressure on the other two players... and after Wi knocked out Ryan (TP v Flush draw) I was heads up.

A couple of weird HHs involved in the HU but not gunna post them.

I'll just post my winning hand.
    gazza127 Small blind   300.00 300.00 32698.00
    wi03 Big blind   600.00 900.00 18402.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

gazza127 Raise   900.00 1800.00 31798.00
    wi03 Raise   1800.00 3600.00 16602.00
    gazza127 Raise   4200.00 7800.00 27598.00
    wi03 All-in   16602.00 24402.00 0.00
    gazza127 Call   13602.00 38004.00 13996.00
    gazza127 Show
    • K
    • K

wi03 Show
    • A

Flop

• J

Turn

River

gazza127 Win Pair of Kings 38004.00   52000.00
    Thats right.  Winning hand.

I won!  :)

Feels so good to bink a tournament.  Admittidly as i played a few tournaments during the day a little outside of my BR im not looaaads up in profit today.... but still a decent amount to brag about.

Pleased with how I played.  Especially as shortstack... and in the later stages.

Going to bed happy :)
  • edited November 2013
    Ok day today... although i am pretty annoyed at myself.

Cashed in a small rebuy in 5th for a small profit... and just finished 2nd in a £200 Gtd.

HU was frustrating.  I was playing against an aggro opponent who had the chip advantage.  I tried to bide my time and wait for the right spot to DU, but it just never came.  I couldnt get any hands to showdown.  I kept playing back at him but I simply never had a hand worthy to call him even when I knew he was bluffing.  I got a bit fed up of drawing so thinly in the HU that I got attached to my 10 on a 5710 board and wouldnt let go simply not believing he could have me beat.  He did.  I could and should have been more patient.  I had the chip stack to get back.  Only one DU is what I needed to get to even stacks.  Urgh.

Infuriating.

Either way I suppose I can take some positives.

Its another cash.  Its another FT.  And the BR is on a steady upslope.  £124 - rearrange the numbers and you get £241.  I suppose thats not bad considering i've not played a great deal since starting with my C4P on Thursday.  Keeping myself grounded to the lower stakes and seeing if I can continue along the same lines.
  • edited November 2013
    There's my mojo.  Long time no see.

So lets start at the beginning... as most stories should start.

I decided to play quite a few tournaments this evening.  I'll only focus on the ones that something interesting actually happened.  I started with a 200gtd.  I built my stack up nicely and after about an hour I was well above average stack.  That was until I was in a bit of a messy all in pre with JJ bvb.  I was up against AJ crushing his outs to just 3.  Unfortunate for me he binked his Ace and I was back to average stack.  The very next hand I pick up KQs on the button.  It gets min raised from middle position and I shove for 15bigs.  I get snap called by K7.  Great... i've got his range covered again.  Oops... a 7 on the turn and I was out.  Was starting to think it wasnt going to be my night.

I decided to late reg the main and mini.  Cant think of anything of too much interest.  The only hand I can remember was getting my AA cracked by J2 all in pre in the mini.  Don't mind villains play as such as I was quite aggro and he had probably enough FE with 11bb to get a fold from my average hands.  But it wasnt to be.

So... this is where the night takes a turn for the better.

I decide to register for a speed BH direct sat... £6 entry - 1 in 10 get seats.  I played very well even if i do say so myself.  Cant remember making any mistakes.   Even folded 88 and AQs near the bubble circa my hand in the clinic ;).  Top 3 got seats and 4th got cash.  TBH when 5th got knocked out I was debating just donking myself out and taking the cash... I couldnt do the old trick of registering for the BH, getting my seat then deregistering and getting the money as the tournament just started.  I wasnt sure if I wanted to play any more poker and the £44 was a tempting guarenteed addition to my small roll.  But the short stack was so short that it was inevitable that id get the seat.  Into the £55 Speed BH for £6.  Happy days.  And who said I couldnt play satellites?

The speed BH went very well.  I kept patient in the early stages despite not picking up many hands, grinding out the small pots here and there and trying to avoid playing for stacks unless I had near enough nutted hand.  I built my stack up and knocked out a couple of people and I was freerolling.  With about 12 left I got into sticky territory with about 8bb.  Lucky for me the two guys to my left had similar sized stacks so I could put max pressure on their blinds. 

After about 4 all ins in consequetive hands I was pushing my luck a bit.  I did have decent hands which included 77, AJ, KQ and QJs, but I was happy to see folds each and every time.

The 5th hand I picked up A10 and decided again, as blinds had just gone up , to shove.

In the interest of fairness, as I have been moaning about variance of late... this is what happened.
    cassa Small blind   600.00 600.00 10010.00
    mrlee17 Big blind   1200.00 1800.00 8210.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

mewillows Fold        
    gazza127 All-in   12934.00 14734.00 0.00
    twicetwo Fold        
    high_tea Fold        
    cassa All-in   10010.00 24744.00 0.00
    mrlee17 Fold        
    gazza127 Unmatched bet   2324.00 22420.00 2324.00
    cassa Show
    • Q
    • A

gazza127 Show
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

gazza127 Win Two Pairs, 10s and 8s 22420.00   24744.00
    Take that variance!

So yes, extremely lucky to get there, but after all the bad beats recently it was about time I got a bit of run good!

I got into the cash 2nd or 3rd in chips...  And watched as mewillows rolled over the table.  I couldnt do anything... I had 0 hands of note and could only look on and watch him ladder me up without me playing one hand of note.  He knocked out 3rd place and suddenly we were HU.

HU wasnt long.  I was short - after all it was a Speed BH, and after about 6/7 hands I found an ace and shoved.  Looked up by a better ace which held.
    gazza127 Small blind   3000.00 3000.00 41804.00
    mewillows Big blind   6000.00 9000.00 129196.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

gazza127 All-in   41804.00 50804.00 0.00
    mewillows Call   38804.00 89608.00 90392.00
    gazza127 Show
    • A

mewillows Show
    • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

mewillows Win Ace high 89608.00   180000.00
    The hand plays exactly the same if the hands are reversed.  Just a tad unlucky I suppose.

But a second place finish will do me very nicely.  I felt as if I played well throughout and that one hand A10 v AQ was pivotal to the cash... so I ran quite good too.  Makes a change!

Second place + 3 bounties = £320ish

£6 into £320 isnt bad ;)

Also cashed in the 2k £11 BH for another £25ish.

So from my initial £124 C4P im now looking at a healthy roll of £526 in less than a week.  Wowza... maybe I should play lower stakes more often and try out these sats a bit more eh?

Good day :)

• edited November 2013
    Very well done, really nice week.

• edited November 2013
    Nice blog and good result. Haven't crossed paths so much surprisingly but no doubt we will. 
    Must
    Be
    Nice
    :)
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks Larson and cheers mewillows.

Wished I could have DU there so we could get a proper HU game going.  It was over before it really got started!

I've come across you on the tables a few times, but must admit I can't remember ever being on a FT with you.  You just ran over the rest of us when there was 4/5 left.  I was helpless! lol.  I'll take a 2nd any day of the week though with how things have been going of late, especially from a sat.

I see you got your seat from a sat too... and got the win, so vwp.

Must be nice ;)
  • edited November 2013
    Just a question for my many avid readers (ha... as if).  Now that ive managed to roll my C4Ps up to a healthy BR... should I increase the limits I am playing.  Since I withdrew my money and started using just my C4P bonus I've only been entering Tournaments with a £5 BI or lower with the odd exception of a £11 tourny/satellite.  Do I have sufficient funds to make £11 games my standard BI with the odd £5 and possibly £22?

I think if I was being sensible i'd keep doing what i'm doing and keep to the £5 games with a few £11 games in there.  Its worked out so far, and if I can roll my BR up again in a similar fashion like ive done then there may be no need to up my stakes at this present time whilst still getting a reasonable profit.  If I work to a 50 BI rule then I should be OK right?  Play the £11 games and sats into bigger tournies til BR is at £1k then start playing £22 games and only start buying in direct to the main when my BR reaches £1.5k?

Hmmm im not used to being so nitty with my BR.  Usually if i have £33 in my account it almost certainly is going on the ME. lol.