You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary)

Comments

• edited November 2013
    With like £550 I'd suggest you stick to £5s and £11s and that's not even being nitty really. Not playing £11s would be closer to nitty but I think 50 BIs should be alright on here, especially as like all the £11s are BHs. And play some small sats for MEs/£55BH

Just remember, the Wednesday night ME is NOT an £11 MTT, it's basically a £33, but I know you love it so will play anyway lol.
  • edited November 2013
    if you can deposit again if your roll depletes, I'd be tempted to play the £11 as my main games. I would set aside an amount for "taking a shot" at the £11 games then move back down if that goes, until you have built up enough to take another shot. hopefully it sticks though.

on the other hand, if your want to be safe, and really dont want to have to deposit again then, go with lamberts suggestion.
  • edited November 2013
    Its just that im used to having £11 games as my minimum stake so its going to be difficult to ignore them.  Id do well to avoid £22 and £33 direct BIs with my record.  I will debate entering the rebuy tonight Lambert to be perfectly honest, but as i sometimes get carried away with the rebuys I may decide to avoid it for the time being.... maybe.

I just want to set out a decent, semi aggressive BR which I can try to stick to.  I feel like im playing with free money (well I kinda am) as im solely playing with my C4P bonus, but im not going to treat it as such.  Ideally id never deposit again ChicknMelt, but I know I can if I need to.  Im a winning player long term so I know if I do set myself a bit better BR management I can avoid horrid swings like the one ive just been on and not leave myself in a similar mess as I did.

I think £11 and £5 games are probably the ideal combo whilst also trying the occassional sat into the bigger events - certainly worked last night :)
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah the only reason I'd include £5s is cos there just aren't enough £11s on Sky for you to play them and nothing else unless you never wanna play more than about 2 tables. Plus the £5 Minis are great value imo with nice money up top.
  • edited November 2013
    Right.

So its been near enough 6 months since I started this diary.

I think its time for some sort of half year update on the diary as a whole... using graphs!

Of course i've just lifted them from sharkscope, so those who are subscribers can just see these anyway, however im going to put them up here as its an easy way to generally track my progress.

Profit History:

As you can see I got off to a rather shaky start in the diary, losing about £500 after 450 games, and break even after 800.  However, then in the next 150 odd games I managed to pull together about £2k profit, not including the cash I got in SPT Notts from a frenzy sat :).  Since then i went on a pretty hefty downswing, losing about £800 (highest profit to bottom of downswing), however in the last 4/5 days i've managed to cut that loss to £300ish.

As you can see my best month without a shadow of a doubt was September. However I've struggled to maintain consistent profit. Although I suppose one positive is that my biggest losing month is only around £350 which isnt too bad considering some of the stakes ive been playing.

My biggest profits have been in the £33 and £22 BHs whilst the £11 Rebuy is also up there.  This might show that its OK to play the main event one in a while as one or two big scores can eliminate a long period of no cashes.  Interestingly enough i also seem to be doing well at the £11 HU games.

However, by contrast my biggest loses have been at the higher buy ins.  Im sure one or two of them have been sat entries into the tournaments so its not entirely accurate.  I'm also not too worried about losing most of my money on the bigger tournaments in this case as the sample size is so small.  As long as I continue to try and sat into these tournaments then I don't see the issue in playing them, even if sharkscope does class it as a big loss.  It also appears that I lose most of my £5 HU games.... which considering my £11 record is a bit of a surprise.  Maybe im just a bit more spewy in them?

My summary statistics:

I'm doing OK overall.  Not a bad ROI (at least its positive!) and I seem to be making OK profit across the 1,135 games.  Couple that with the SPT Cash and things arent looking too bad.  Can't complain overall!

Hopefully i continue to push out from this downswing and build it up a bit more in the coming weeks.  :)
  • edited November 2013
    Yuk.

Stone cold bubbled the £500 rebuy... jamming A8os into J10os bvb with 11bb.

There were two stacks on the other table with about 6bb each obviously playing uber tight to try and min cash.  Kinda hoped id waited a couple of hands to see what happened.... although its fine saying that now.  What I should be saying is I got it in good and was UL not to DU and have a chance of winning it.

Yeah... lets go with that.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary):
    Yuk. Stone cold bubbled the £500 rebuy... jamming A8os into J10os bvb with 11bb. There were two stacks on the other table with about 6bb each obviously playing uber tight to try and min cash.  Kinda hoped id waited a couple of hands to see what happened.... although its fine saying that now.  What I should be saying is I got it in good and was UL not to DU and have a chance of winning it. Yeah... lets go with that.
    Posted by gazza127
    Are you sure you're sticking to that BR management plan
    £500 rebuys ?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary) : Are you sure you're sticking to that BR management plan £500 rebuys ?
    Posted by Jac35
    Lol I did think the same, but I do enough moaning at Gazza so thought I'd leave it to someone else to mention
  • edited November 2013
    Oh you guys are just being pedantic.  You know what I mean!

£500 Gtd rebuy.

Whatever.
  • edited November 2013
    Don't even know what im talking about.

It wasnt even a rebuy... it was a turbo!

Brain well and truely switched off.  I think bed beckons.
  • edited November 2013
    If anyone wants to take notes on how to throw away a tournament... you should see my HH.

Playing the £2k BH.  I ran seriously well in terms of getting better hands when people wanted to play for stacks.  Didnt flip too well, but the former beat the latter by a serious amount.

Made the FT with about 40% of the chips in play.
    Was 1/5 with about 40% of the chips in play
    Was 1/4 with about 40% of the chips in play.

Busted 4th.

Blinds were big and it only took 3 hands to knock me out.

I took a flip against a shortstack AJ<44

I then made a bad call on a K3K5 board with 77.  Of course he had the King... he practically told me.

Then jammed J10s on the button into A4 in the bb.

So.... a 4th place finish isnt all too bad I suppose.  I also came 7th in the £750 BH.  Busted on the FT bubble with AA on a J7423 board.  Flop came 3 spades... I had the Ace of spades and just bet all three streets going to value town against a loose player.  Buuuut they flopped the flush and I didnt get that spare spade i needed.

Signs of improvement in these past 2 weeks since I started using my £124 C4P...  I think ive ammended a few errors ive been making... plus I have been running a whole lot better... even if thats not entirely difficult.

BR up to £702.  Thats £702 of free money as far as im concerned.  C4P you wonderful promotion you....
  • edited November 2013
    Well done, coming along nicely mate.

• edited November 2013
    It's Sky Poker Rewards, not C4P.

Stop living in the past.
  • edited November 2013
    It's Sky Poker Rewards, not C4P. Stop living in the past.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I genuinely dont get what the difference is...
  • edited November 2013
    There is non just a diffferent name, c4p is easier to say lol
  • edited November 2013
    Pretty meh night tonight.  Played a load of tournaments and just played quite terribly.

I decided to try and sat into the £55 Speed BH again... and got in!

So thats 2/2 for Speed BH sats.  Again... couldnt take the £55 cause the tournament had just started so ended up playing it.

Came 8th with only the top 5 paid, but managed to pick up 3 bounties on the way so my £6 brought me back something like £57ish.  Not bad these satellite things...

Just stone cold bubbled the 2k Gtd BH.  Shoved AK into 107 which rivered the nut straight.

So even though tonight hasnt been all that great... thanks to a satellite im up about £15 overall.

Its nice having winning days.
  • edited November 2013
    Surprising statistic of the day.

OK its only after 155 games but im doing surprisingly well at £11 HU games.  £5... not so much.  Have a very small sample size across other stakes too so its hard to know how im really doing...

But 17.5% ROI is quite good right?  Even if its a small sample?

Maybe I should play a few more of these.

• edited November 2013
    sounds like its a good roi...dont play them myself, but I would expect 10% to be pretty decent.

• edited November 2013
    Yeah it's a VERY good ROI, probably an unsustainable one, but very good. 10% I think is do-able with the Turbos.

Obv ignore the fact your results are different at £5s and £10s, unless the smaller stakes mentally is making you care less and play badly cos the player pool is virtually identical.
  • edited November 2013
    Very nice stats Gaza.

A new reg to look out for?

fwiw, imo one of the top 3 HU sng regs is also called Gazza!

What structures are you playing?
  • edited November 2013
    Tbh lambert I think I do take the £11 ones more seriously so I do think theres going to be a fair difference between the stakes even if it is the same players im playing. Im a lot more prone to 'making moves' on the £5 HUs. Lol. Probably a bit of a leak... but one easily solvable.

Cheers dohhhh. I play mainly turbos with a fair few hypers in there.  Faster structures for sure though.  I only really play them late at night when I want to play a little poker before bed and I dont want to get attached to a tournament... I find dyms too slow and a bit boring tbh so dont do to well at those when I do decide to play.  Hu you play pretty much every hand :)
  • edited November 2013
    Played 6 tournaments.

0 cashes.
    0 bounties.
    2 people calling me a donk
    1 guy convinced the site is rigged
    -55 for the day.

• edited November 2013
    What did you do with my chip stack in the £500 Turbo?! :P

Pretty much sums up how my tournaments have gone lately too. Can't cash in them at all! Good job cash is there ticking along nicely. Have you played much cash yet or are you just sticking to tournaments in the main?
  • edited November 2013
  • edited November 2013
    Witty Harry. Has anyone ever told you that you should do stand up?

Admittidly 2 is probably below average for me...  Apparently shoving ATC with 8bb makes me a 'donkey bingo player' and I should 'learn how to play properly'.  Comparing sharkscope graphs with this guy did make me chuckle, but managed to refrain from bringing it up in the chat even though he was giving me grief for the best part of an hour.

Ivanovic... im sorry to say that I made absolutely no use of your chips in the turbo.  I practically gave my chip lead away.  I played so so bad and spewed it away to finish somewhere in the top 18... but well outside the cash.  Those chips were cursed... 

Havent played any cash yet this month... I have been tempted - extrememly tempted, but have refrained in doing so.  I look at some players on 50nl that I used to play every day and think 'If they can get that chip stack on this table, surely I can?'

Too tempting, but I know its likely to be a bad idea.

• edited November 2013
    Nice HU graph! should definetly try get some decent volume in at them, you will get used to the abuse on the HU tables as well lol
  • edited November 2013
    u been putting in some practice for our match then ;) 
  • edited November 2013
    Cheers Benc.  You play a lot of HU don't you?  Which type of HU game do you reckon is best to play?  Obviously I dont mind the faster ones as im doing OK in them, but it can come down to a fair bit of luck in terms of what holdings you get dealt.  I imagine variance is a bit kinder in the slower games but they are a bit too slow for me.  I reckon Speed or Turbo is the way forward?  What do you play most?

ChicknMelt... I need as much practice as I can get if we do this!

Update:

So the past two days havent been the best at all in MTTs.  Bricked another couple tonight... again with not even a bounty to show for the nights work.

So when waiting for a tv programme to buffer online I decided id play my first bit of cash in goodness knows how long.  I sat for 15 minutes and left £55 in the black.  I do wonder sometimes whether cash is the way to go.... but then there are always nights where I feel the total opposite.

Either way the past two days poor MTT runs has now had a minimal effect on the BR thanks to that short cash session.
  • edited November 2013
    Biggest win of yesterdays 15 minute cash session.

Probably a silly shove on the flop but I thought batman was light (lol) pre and definitely didnt have solely Ax in his range here.  I had reraised again preflop with the intention of shoving any flop... wise or unwise I dont know.  Batman said he had 77 so I could have checked it down and still taken the hand...  heinsight eh?
    sean7 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £18.57
    show_me Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £144.34
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

JAKOBOY Call  £0.50 £1.25 £10.27
    batman162 Raise  £2.00 £3.25 £60.51
    eagle05 Fold     
    gazza127 Raise  £5.50 £8.75 £47.78
    sean7 Fold     
    show_me Fold     
    JAKOBOY All-in  £10.27 £19.02 £0.00
    batman162 Call  £8.77 £27.79 £51.74
    gazza127 Raise  £18.00 £45.79 £29.78
    batman162 Call  £12.73 £58.52 £39.01
    Flop

• A
    • Q

batman162 Check     
    gazza127 All-in  £29.78 £88.30 £0.00
    batman162 Fold     
    gazza127 Unmatched bet  £29.78 £58.52 £29.78
    JAKOBOY Show
    • J
    • K

gazza127 Show
    • J
    • J

Turn

River

gazza127 Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 5s £56.72
  • edited November 2013
    Biggest win of yesterdays 15 minute cash session. Probably a silly shove on the flop but I thought batman was light (lol) pre and definitely didnt have solely Ax in his range here.  I had reraised again preflop with the intention of shoving any flop... wise or unwise I dont know.  Batman said he had 77 so I could have checked it down and still taken the hand...  heinsight eh? sean7 Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £18.57 show_me Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £144.34   Your hole cards J J       JAKOBOY Call   £0.50 £1.25 £10.27 batman162 Raise   £2.00 £3.25 £60.51 eagle05 Fold         gazza127 Raise   £5.50 £8.75 £47.78 sean7 Fold         show_me Fold         JAKOBOY All-in   £10.27 £19.02 £0.00 batman162 Call   £8.77 £27.79 £51.74 gazza127 Raise   £18.00 £45.79 £29.78 batman162 Call   £12.73 £58.52 £39.01 Flop     A Q 8       batman162 Check         gazza127 All-in   £29.78 £88.30 £0.00 batman162 Fold         gazza127 Unmatched bet   £29.78 £58.52 £29.78 JAKOBOY Show J K       gazza127 Show J J       Turn     5       River     5       gazza127 Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 5s £56.72
    Posted by gazza127

Not sure I would be shoving here... what better hands would fold?  possibly a single Q...but not many of them in his range. what worse hands would call? - none. 

Most hands either have little equity vs you (gutshots, smaller PPs), or have you crushed and are snap calling. + you may be able to get 1 street of value from smaller PPs if you check the flop.