You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary)

Comments

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary):
    With that in mind i've decided to reassess poker in the coming month.  I've withdrawn everything from my Sky Poker account and have capped my depositing to the minimum possible.  I'm solely going to be playing with my C4P this month, which if I remember correctly is between £100-150 somewhere.  With my downswing in full momentum and confidence shattered im dropping way down stakes til I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  So if im playing cash, its most likely 4nl and if im playing tournaments its unlikely to be with BIs of any higher than a fiver and some satellites.  Think this is for the best.  I still want to play poker but sticking with the stakes I am is going to get a bit ridiculous if the swing continues.  I need to slow it somewhat and feel this is the best way to do it. So yeah.  C4P is my BR this month.  I'll see if I can build it up and potentially not have to redeposit.... and if I lose it, meh it was free money and its definitely less than I would have lost otherwise. Weirdly optimistic about this...
    Posted by gazza127

Wow.  That was on the 5th of November... 5 weeks ago.

That £124 I got from my Poker Rewards is now £3.5k.

How the hell did that happen.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: The ramblings of a young man (gazza127 diary) : Wow.  That was on the 5th of November... 5 weeks ago. That £124 I got from my Poker Rewards is now £3.5k. How the hell did that happen.
    Posted by gazza127
    Really impressive Gazza WP!!
  • edited December 2013
    gazza, fancy a race to 10k profit? :P

I'm almost half way there but your BRM is a little less strict. Should be fun!
  • edited December 2013
    Sigh.  Don't think so Ivanovic.

I've just took a massive £250 hit on cash.  All going well at one point... I was £100 up and then got the best part of £130 in with KK on a 457 flop.  He had 56 and binked another 5 on the river.

So that was -£30 at the time... I lost another £70 playing like an idiot, then managaed to claw it all back.

Queue the massive cooler.

99 v KK.

Flop.  K 9 x

That was on a mastercash nl100 table. £250 gone just like that.  Kablamo!

Still...  The roll is still OK.  Not like the days of old where £250 was half my roll.  Head up.  Continue forward.

Lets just hope this isnt the start of a little downswing.
  • edited December 2013
    Spew mode.... complete.

Yeah im stopping now.  Lost a fair bit today.

This is exactly what I did last time I got up to this level.  I've decided to do exactly what I did at that time... withdraw back down to £1k and start again.

Let the grind begin.
  • edited December 2013
    Pffft.

+100 on MTTs today.

PPPFFFFFFFTTTTT.

4th in £22 BH
    5th in turbo (not the main one)

Dont want to talk about it.

ARGAKLAJNEFLKJAEF.
  • edited December 2013
    Ok.... i've calmed myself.

Its just irritating as I got to the Final Table in the top 2 in both tournaments and the cards just turned on me.  I remember one hand which I played bad and lost a chunk in the £22 BH but there was little I could do otherwise.

Couldnt do anything about turbo exit hand.  Everyone was sitting with circa 10bb.  I found A5 bvb and jammed.  Ran into AK.  NH GG.

Exit hand in BH was KQ v A7.

So yeah... was annoyed I couldnt get that big cash to kick start my BR again but I suppose I would have taken +£100 at the beginning of the night so theres that I suppose.

Playing the rebuy tomorrow.  I haven't played it in yonks.  Looking forward to it as it is my favourite main of the week.  I just havent played many mains at all recently... but will definitely take advantage of the double guarentee tomorrow.

Giving cash a break.  I've grinded 6k points on cash this month.  Yes I could continue and hit priority, but i dont see it happening.  I'm not going to play much around christmas so theres not much point battling to reach priority when its unlikely I'll get there with fewer playing days this month.

Just going to take it easy with MTTs for the next few weeks and reassess in the new year.
  • edited December 2013
    Ul last night on not having any big binks Gazza, always annoying to go very deep and not get a decent score. Remember though, you don't NEED a kick start to your BR, well not unless you continue to with crazy BRM. As long as you keep yourself away from 50/100NL then you should be fine, if you wanna carry on playing them levels then you shouldn't have withdrew cos no-one can keep just doing sick spin up after sick spin up.

But if you're sticking to MTTs it shuold be all good... short of a BIG downswing. As Tommy has said to me, you should play as many of the £11 BHs as possible, theres 5 every night, think it's like 7:45pm, 8:15pm, 9:30pm, 11pm, 11:30pm.
  • edited December 2013
    "Giving cash a break."

I think your account has been hacked mate. There's some guy on 2 NL50 tables right now under your username.

He's got 2 pretty decent stacks tho.....

;)
  • edited December 2013
    "Giving cash a break." I think your account has been hacked mate. There's some guy on 2 NL50 tables right now under your username. He's got 2 pretty decent stacks tho..... ;)
    Posted by SJspanky1
    Lol sigh Gazza, gl, hope you don't need to reload!
  • edited December 2013
    Busted.

Im at work... couldn't help myself.

No self control at all.
  • edited December 2013
    How gutting is it getting knocked out 40th in a double GTD main out of 700+ runners?

Very.
  • edited December 2013
    How gutting is it getting knocked out 40th in a double GTD main out of 700+ runners? Very.
    Posted by gazza127
    About as gutting as going out of the double GTD main last night in 50th lol. Ul mate
  • edited December 2013
    CRASH.

There goes the bankroll.  There goes the thought of going to NZ next year.

On my way to work this morning, I come up to a roundabout on a national speed limit road.  4x4 ahead of me slows down (as you do)... and of course I do too.  Car on the roundabout coming the other way looked like they were going straight on (what else are you to think when they don't have their indicator on).  4x4 naturally decides to go... then realises that the other car is infact turning and has to emergency stop.  I've also assumed other car is going straight on and i've continued.  Turns out a brand new 4x4s brakes are a whole lot better than that of my 10 year old nissan.  Thump.

Damage to my car is extreme.  4x4 has its numberplate cracked.  Non-indicator car f****d off without a moments hesitation.  Wheres the justice in the world.

So there you have it:

Car written off.  Insurance up.  No claims gone.  Need a new car.

Goodbye bankroll.  Goodbye NZ.  I need the money now.

Just when I thought things were looking up, this comes around the corner and knocks me for six.
  • edited December 2013
    Sounds rough mate!

I know all about car troubles this year myself - my gearbox packed in at the start of the year in my Passat. Set me back about £1500!! I hate cars!!!
  • edited December 2013
    Sorry to hear about your car problems, man. As long as you're all right - the rest is just pounds and pence.
  • edited December 2013
    you only just spun up your points to a very nice sum a month or 2 ago - just do it again :D

was fun playing you on the NL50 tables briefly - been giving cash a go, guess I wont see you for a while again though.
  • edited December 2013
    you only just spun up your points to a very nice sum a month or 2 ago - just do it again :D was fun playing you on the NL50 tables briefly - been giving cash a go, guess I wont see you for a while again though.
    Posted by chicknMelt

Don't put it past me.  I've left £200 in my account.  4 whole buy ins at 50nl!

• edited December 2013
    some inspiration for you...

Viktor Blom turned $600 into $300k in a day after his bankroll got obliterated. 

• edited December 2013
    some inspiration for you... http://www.highstakesdb.com/4192-finally-a-good-day-for-isildur1.aspx Viktor Blom turned $600 into $300k in a day after his bankroll got obliterated. 
    Posted by chicknMelt
    I see what youre saying... stick it all on one 200nl table.

:)
  • edited December 2013
    Well considering this has been a pretty terrible week life-wise, poker hasn't been too bad.

I left £200 in my account after this car mis-hap.  Still not sure how much its going to cost me overall, so heres hoping the other driver is in a good Christmassy mood and doesn't try to do me over making a big claim when the only damage to their car was a cracked number plate.

I can kind of see the appeal of 4x4's now.  My car = write off.  Their car barely had a scratch.  No justice when I was probably the one least at fault out of the 3 cars involved.

Bah... im rambling.

Poker... thats why we are here.

So yeah... left £200 in my account and over the past few days I have managed to win two tournaments with sizeable prizes.  The first was the £11 turbo on Tuesday(? Might have been Wednesday).  I picked up about £170 profit from that.  

I then reg for the £22 BH at 3pm yesterday - terrible BRM but whats new?  Managed to win that for another £220ish.

Cash has been a bit swingy so up just a little this week.  So i've managed to get the BR back up to a workable sum hovering about the £500 mark.  One or two more wins and this car malarky suddenly wont seem too bad.

Played a bit of HU today - just the 6 at the moment.  I was playing one opponent who destroyed me the first 3 games - checked his SS to see he had won 15 out of the last 16 HU.  Woops.  But im not one to quit - I started to figure him out and won the next 3... then he declined a rematch.  Irritating that... just when you suss out an opponent they decide theres no value in playing you anymore... so we both ended up down!

Need to do some shopping this weekend.  Apparently Christmas is pretty soon....

Edit - Oh and since when was   s c r e w   a word worthy of being moderated on the forum?
  • edited December 2013
    Edit - Oh and since when was   s c r e w   a word worthy of being moderated on the forum?
    Posted by gazza127
    Don't know about you G, but personally I'm a sensitive little piece of porcelain who would shatter into a million pieces if I were to see a 'naughty' word on here.

That said, boobies and bums gets through the filter, and you can't get more offensive than that.
  • edited December 2013
    Well considering this has been a pretty terrible week life-wise, poker hasn't been too bad. I left £200 in my account after this car mis-hap.  Still not sure how much its going to cost me overall, so heres hoping the other driver is in a good Christmassy mood and doesn't try to do me over making a big claim when the only damage to their car was a cracked number plate. I can kind of see the appeal of 4x4's now.  My car = write off.  Their car barely had a scratch.  No justice when I was probably the one least at fault out of the 3 cars involved. Bah... im rambling. Poker... thats why we are here. So yeah... left £200 in my account and over the past few days I have managed to win two tournaments with sizeable prizes.  The first was the £11 turbo on Tuesday(? Might have been Wednesday).  I picked up about £170 profit from that.   I then reg for the £22 BH at 3pm yesterday - terrible BRM but whats new?  Managed to win that for another £220ish. Cash has been a bit swingy so up just a little this week.  So i've managed to get the BR back up to a workable sum hovering about the £500 mark.  One or two more wins and this car malarky suddenly wont seem too bad. Played a bit of HU today - just the 6 at the moment.  I was playing one opponent who destroyed me the first 3 games - checked his SS to see he had won 15 out of the last 16 HU.  Woops.  But im not one to quit - I started to figure him out and won the next 3... then he declined a rematch.  Irritating that... just when you suss out an opponent they decide theres no value in playing you anymore... so we both ended up down! Need to do some shopping this weekend.  Apparently Christmas is pretty soon.... Edit - Oh and since when was   s c r e w   a word worthy of being moderated on the forum?
    Posted by gazza127

I knew you would your spinning skills to get back to a healthy BR again.

...thats 10BI for NL50 now ;)
  • edited December 2013
    Lets see if I can post this without sounding too dissapointed... no promises though!

I decided to try and sat into the roller last night... and after a few near misses getting a seat I kinda gave up.  Decided id just have a chilled one, play the Christmas Cracker tournament and go to bed at a nice reasonable time.

That didnt go to plan.  Seeing the all-in sats for the main I decided i'd enter about 10 just to see if I could bink a seat and get in there for a discount.  Sat number 9 - Bink.  Im in the tournament about 40 mins late - but i was in!

I manage to stay out of trouble for the first hour or so, and after I made a big bluff on Ebberdon (he still doesnt believe that I bluffed him) I was on my way towards the top of the leaderboard.

After a big pot AA v 77 on a AKx7x board I was up as one of the chip leaders with about 40 left.  Just as well I had that big pot - I couldnt hit a thing for the hour afterwards and I had slipped down the leaderboard to about 18/26 when the bubble burst.

I still had a decentish stack... nothing to be too worried with.  I was playing small ball poker winning small pots here and there to keep myself afloat.  Then comes the bubble for the FT.  I pick up AK UTG and raise.  Wacko reraises sb and I jam for about 25bb total.... snap called by QQ which held... and suddenly I was out.  The flip was effectively for the chip lead... was feeling pretty gutted at the time as there was 6k up top for the winner.

Still... I cashed for a 4 figure sum from an investment circa 40 quid - so I cant be all too upset.  Just needed that one slice of luck at the crucial time to go on and get the big score i've always wanted!

I'll just have to win it another time... sigh.

Oh... and the Christmas Cracker tournament lasted a whole 1 hand.  AK v 88 all in pre.  GG.
  • edited December 2013
    Wow.

Well these past 2 days couldnt have been more different.

Yesterday I decided to play some cash.  I started off running bad... then running really bad... then playing bad... then playing REEEAAAALLLLYYY bad.

I lost £420 yesterday on the cash tables - still dont quite know how, but i did.

Today on the otherhand was totally different.  Again I played the same cash tables as yesterday.  It looked ominous when I was -£100 right near the start of the short session i had decided to play.  But a change of luck and picking the right spots meant I managed to change that -£100 for the day into +£440.

So +£20 for the two days!

Good way to start Christmas indeed.

Not sure how much i'll be playing in the next week or so as I have numerous family and friend things including a birthday or two.  But I do know I will be playing some poker in the next week as im only 400 points off priority!  Should definitely be making it for the first time :)

Suppose theres not much else to say other than...

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
  • edited December 2013
    Oh... and a hand to bemuse you for the day:
    X Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £47.09
    LIONS62 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £76.77
      Your hole cards
    • J

thebil123 Fold        
    gazza127 Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £66.63
    ChipsOTool Raise   £3.50 £5.75 £56.61
    BILLSEYE Fold        
    X Call   £3.25 £9.00 £43.84
    LIONS62 Fold        
    gazza127 Raise   £10.00 £19.00 £56.63
    ChipsOTool Call   £8.00 £27.00 £48.61
    X Call   £8.00 £35.00 £35.84
    Flop

• J
    • A

X Check        
    gazza127 Bet   £14.50 £49.50 £42.13
    ChipsOTool Fold        
    X All-in   £35.84 £85.34 £0.00
    gazza127 Call   £21.34 £106.68 £20.79
    X Show

gazza127 Show
    • J

Turn

River

gazza127 Win Pair of Jacks £104.88   £125.67
    Not sure who played it worse.
  • edited December 2013
    Oh... and a hand to bemuse you for the day: X Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £47.09 LIONS62 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £76.77   Your hole cards J 7       thebil123 Fold         gazza127 Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £66.63 ChipsOTool Raise   £3.50 £5.75 £56.61 BILLSEYE Fold         X Call   £3.25 £9.00 £43.84 LIONS62 Fold         gazza127 Raise   £10.00 £19.00 £56.63 ChipsOTool Call   £8.00 £27.00 £48.61 X Call   £8.00 £35.00 £35.84 Flop     J A 6       X Check         gazza127 Bet   £14.50 £49.50 £42.13 ChipsOTool Fold         X All-in   £35.84 £85.34 £0.00 gazza127 Call   £21.34 £106.68 £20.79 X Show 8 5       gazza127 Show J 7       Turn     4       River     3       gazza127 Win Pair of Jacks £104.88   £125.67 Not sure who played it worse.
    Posted by gazza127
    Haha - yeah, was thinking: couple o' freshwater fish there, but you kinda said it for me ;)

Have a great Christmas, mate.
  • edited December 2013
    Its the end of 2013... what better time is there to have a little review of the past year of poker.

I've gone broke not once... not twice but three times in 2013 on poker.  To say that this is down to poor BR management would be true to some extent, however on each occassion I have had to withdraw a chunk of my BR to pay for things in 'real life' which has resulted in me not being able to ride variance with the proper cushion i need.

I started this diary in May.  Since then, to say ive been on a bit of a rollercoaster may be a bit of an understatement.  I went through a period of 4 and a half months where I made absolutely no progress on the tables.  I was stagnant.  However with a satellite seat secured for SPT Nottingham in there and a min cash achieved I had enough in my roll to try and kick on.

Since September things have perked up.  MTTs are going better.  I feel like im getting to grips with cash poker as well.  I final tables a few main events and had a couple of decent scores elsewhere.  Things were looking up.

Then I hit a little downswing - mainly on cash.  I lost a chunk of my roll and went through one of those periods where you no longer want to get Aces, just because you feel like the big pot will shift to someone else.

I withdrew everything from my roll at the beginning of November.  I was playing badly, I was running badly.  I took what I deemed a necessary step to trying to limit the losses of my downswing by just using my Sky Poker rewards for November.  The idea was to just get back to playing ABC poker.  I did not expect to do what I did however and roll that £126 Sky bonus into over 3k in about 3-4 weeks.

Then.... Crash.  Not my poker - my car.  There goes the roll.  Writing off your car isnt the best thing to do at anytime, but as I had the money from Poker it wasn't the worst time either.  But the BR evaporated.  I left £200 in my account to try and roll up, and since then I have managed to roll it back up to circa £1k, mainly on the cash tables.

I have made priority this month for the first time ever....  I have smashed my £2.5k target I set at the beginning of the diary and things most certainly are going well.  There is a big variance in poker that we must all learn to ride.  I've experienced both sides of the beautiful game in the past year but have managed to come through a better player.

Here's to more swings and swongs in 2014.  Just no more car crashes...
  • edited December 2013
    Great year for you Gazza. Predict next year will be even better
    BTW what was worse?
    Car crash or the feeling you had when had when you woke up and realised that you had actually posted your truth or bluff video?
  • edited December 2013
    Great year for you Gazza. Predict next year will be even better BTW what was worse? Car crash or the feeling you had when had when you woke up and realised that you had actually posted your truth or bluff video?
    Posted by Jac35

Haha.  Well the car crash was a sudden shock that I soon got over.  My truth or bluff video nightmare keeps rolling on and on and on...

Dont drink and vlog kids