You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Another rake race - seriously?

Comments

• edited June 2013

I don't have any particular complaint about running rakeraces but the regularity of them is starting to become ridiculous. 

Please try something else SKY

• edited June 2013
    ya ok people moaning about people moaning -- --

Very simple, these promo's only go to stagnate cash games on Sky, which only serves to push away new rec players.

the debate is not about if you can outplay someone folding 80-90% of hands -

The fact the promo encourages it just like the old c4p system, makes promo's like this suck.

--

as I have said before promo's that encourage people to see FLOPS is good -

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously?:
    These regs can be beaten, but unlike them, I don't wanna drop down to 4NL just to win some promo, I wanna play my normal level, and I guarantee the number of tables running will plummet during this week. Of course they can be beaten, but the games are SO boring and with alot less value than non-rakerace times. Meh, I cba discussing it anymore cos the discussion has happened 3 times already in the past 6 weeks and it's going no-where.
    Posted by Lambert180
    only just saw this before i posted my last post.

just like to say that what ive seen in past is a load of people annoyed that they wont benefit from the promo and that sky only care about recs but noone but sky opposing. so not really a discussion imo. 

also if all solid regs drop down surely then it leaves a loads of recs at the higher level tables...sweeeeEt
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : This is what I was getting at, if it encourgaes folding on mult tables than this does not generate more rake for Sky and it does not provide good cash games to play in for recs or regs.
    Posted by rancid
    not meaning to be rude but it obviously does. sky have the stats and they arnt mugs!
  • edited June 2013
    I don't have any particular complaint about running rakeraces but the regularity of them is starting to become ridiculous.  Please try something else SKY
    Posted by huuuuume

have you seen the state of the games since the Jan 2012 60k rake race, and the number of rake races between then and now.  plus obviously the hugely sensible fact that they are number of hands based, ie the king of idiotic ways to do it

In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously?:
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : not meaning to be rude but it obviously does. sky have the stats and they arnt mugs!
    Posted by sighcall

I don't disagree that an increase in number of tables probably slightly increases their rake, but if the site is here for 1 month less because of a few days rake race was it worth it? similarly I agree with what you've said except the last bit innit. xx
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : have you seen the state of the games since the Jan 2012 60k rake race, and the number of rake races between then and now.  plus obviously the hugely sensible fact that they are number of hands based, ie the king of idiotic ways to do it In Response to  Re: Another rake race - seriously? : I don't disagree that an increase in number of tables probably slightly increases their rake, but if the site is here for 1 month less because of a few days rake race was it worth it? similarly I agree with what you've said except the last bit innit. xx
    Posted by beaneh
    sorry are u saying sky may go out of business lol? its growing is it not?

sky poker going out of business in next 20 years 10000/1 IMO
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : not meaning to be rude but it obviously does. sky have the stats and they arnt mugs!
    Posted by sighcall

If everyone is folding how does that provide more rake ?

There maybe some more players, playing tighter ranges = bigger hands = more rake

or just more players = rake

but my statement "if everyone folds = less rake" is correct :)

i know what your saying  though, it doesn't benefit the long term cash games though imo
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : If everyone is folding how does that provide more rake ? There maybe some more players, playing tighter ranges = bigger hands = more rake or just more players = rake but my statement "if everyone folds = less rake" is correct :) i know what your saying  though, it doesn't benefit the long term cash games though imo
    Posted by rancid
    Like i said to lambert I 100% agree with you in theory! :)

But it must generate more rake somehow as sky wouldnt run so many of them to lose money haha!
  • edited June 2013
    The only thing more boring than volume promos & rakeback in general is people moaning about volume promos and rakeback in general.  Just adapt, the games are still amongst the softest around.  Or play something else/elsewhere for a week Zzz
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

If the games are the softest around then with your poker brain why arent you rich? There are some perfectly valid points in this thread. People are concerned with the long term viability of the site, the promo does nothing to address that in fact it puts that future at risk. 

Its like  the greedy bankers out to make a fast buck analogy to hell with the longer term consequences.  

• edited June 2013
    Hi guys.

Just a little Mod note to say please let's keep this all constructive and civil.  So far it has been very constructive and civil from what I have seen, please keep it on this course.

As far as I'm concerned everything has been bang on fine to this post, let's keep it on that course please and thanks.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm not bothered that it doesn't benefit me in terms of me winning £££ from the promo, I am bothered that it ruins the games. The point is, the promos SHOULD be about recs, because they are the ones that deposit, they are the ones that keep the site topped up with money while the better players withdraw their winnings, but the promos are most definitely NOT done in this way. What non-reg seriously has any hope of putting in the volume required to even come close to top 20 in a promo like this?

This promo benefits 40 people on the site, how many do you think play on Sky, 5,000? 10,000? more?

===============================================================================

If anyone is interested here is the same discussion from just 12 days ago...

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3aa044a5c7-bce3-4413-a5bf-f49a6a0fd3fb&plckCurrentPage=1
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : Like i said to lambert I 100% agree with you in theory! :) But it must generate more rake somehow as sky wouldnt run so many of them to lose money haha!
    Posted by sighcall
    Less rake per table, but more tables to more than make up for it. 

A player who can win 10xbb per table, per hour 5 tabling or 5xbb per hour per table 11 tabling, what's better? 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : sorry are u saying sky may go out of business lol? its growing is it not? sky poker going out of business in next 20 years 10000/1 IMO
    Posted by sighcall

sky bet wont go out of business, sky poker rofl with current direction, def on a short fuse.

if you haven't noticed, you get the same 4 lovely gentlemen playing super duper aggressive poker vs each other ie sitting out and folding.

these games do not last, recreational players are required. hence constant 24 tabling rake races are an appalling idea with no thought put into them.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : have you seen the state of the games since the Jan 2012 60k rake race, and the number of rake races between then and now.  plus obviously the hugely sensible fact that they are number of hands based, ie the king of idiotic ways to do it In Response to  Re: Another rake race - seriously? : I don't disagree that an increase in number of tables probably slightly increases their rake, but if the site is here for 1 month less because of a few days rake race was it worth it? similarly I agree with what you've said except the last bit innit. xx
    Posted by beaneh

Well this is the whole point I think we are making

Yes in the short term maybe Sky are gettign more rake and players that love promo's in the short term because they win money.

Long term, cash games going to die on Sky - no one will want to play here be it recs or regs.

If the promo encourages people to fold 90% of hands, why would recs come and play here ?
    Why would regs come and play versus  complete zzzzzzzzzz players.

And when all the recs have gone and the regs have gone, only leaves a few selfish people left to win money from no one.
    Then they will probbaly move onto another site and rinse and repeat.

Just short term selfish blindness.

Hold em is nearly dead anyway, people just too blind to see it.
    When the money well dries up - what you gonna do --?

---

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : Well this is the whole point I think we are making Yes in the short term maybe Sky are gettign more rake and players that love promo's in the short term because they win money. Long term, cash games going to die on Sky - no one will want to play here be it recs or regs. If the promo encourages people to fold 90% of hands, why would recs come and play here ? Why would regs come and play versus  complete zzzzzzzzzz players. And when all the recs have gone and the regs have gone, only leaves a few selfish people left to win money from no one. Then they will probbaly move onto another site and rinse and repeat. Just short term selfish blindness. Hold em is nearly dead anyway, people just too blind to see it. When the money well dries up - what you gonna do --? ---
    Posted by rancid
    Already happening mate, just refer back to my nl30 thread of a few months back. 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : Already happening mate, just refer back to my nl30 thread of a few months back. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    can u link! im interested. :)
  • edited June 2013
    Beat me to it Paul, those comments where made before the latest slug of cash promos. As we speak there are 2 nl40 games running and 1 nl30. Loads of nl20 for some reason mind, didnt used to be like that. 
  • edited June 2013
    Personally i think a few of these posts are just plain stupid.

The reason they keep running rake races like this in "cash" and not stt is because they would never get the numbers and arnt that popular.

These weekly race leaderbords are good just need to be changed because its gunna be the same top 5 most the time its easy enough to match the hours they play but opening the amount of tables they play alot of ppl could neveer manage.

The stt promo they had few months back where the top 6 got entry to the £1000 for the 6 players is similar to what they should do in the cash promo.

Instead of paying out on positions it should be top20 for small stakes get entry to the private £2k tournament.

1st £700
    2nd £450
    3rd £350
    4th £250
    5th £150
    6th £100
    This would be something that would be more appealing to players and actually give them the incentive to make the top 20 rather than just not bother as you no who the winner is gunna be every promotion.

I dont mind these current rake races just that they need to be tweaked in a way where they dont apply to how many tables you open.

• edited June 2013
    Hi all,
          I Only normally play small stakes and low mtt,s. I say bring back the GOLDEN TICKET promo. That way even small stakes and rec players stand a chance of winning and they remain interested during the whole of the promo.The prizes can vary from cash,tournament tokens and sky branded mechandise (N.B size large hoody Please) which when worn is more advertising in itself. When i first joined, sky ran the caption contest, I was lucky enough to win a seat into the £8000 rebuy (normally way outside my roll) and enjoyed the run while in lasted.Give new players and rec players a chance to improve, learn and move up the stakes and I am sure they will stay.
                           Reagrds Eddie. 
  • edited June 2013
    Hi all,       I Only normally play small stakes and low mtt,s. I say bring back the GOLDEN TICKET promo. That way even small stakes and rec players stand a chance of winning and they remain interested during the whole of the promo.The prizes can vary from cash,tournament tokens and sky branded mechandise (N.B size large hoody Please) which when worn is more advertising in itself. When i first joined, sky ran the caption contest, I was lucky enough to win a seat into the £8000 rebuy (normally way outside my roll) and enjoyed the run while in lasted.Give new players and rec players a chance to improve, learn and move up the stakes and I am sure they will stay.                        Reagrds Eddie. 
    Posted by Eddie1878

You see eddie, youve just backed up what most people are saying on this thread. Give a little back to the masses rather than a lot to the few. Thats what has built the site up to what it is today. 

• edited June 2013
    I like Eddie. Eddie makes sense.

Let's have a chat about Golden Ticket, shall we?
  • edited June 2013
    Hi all,       I Only normally play small stakes and low mtt,s. I say bring back the GOLDEN TICKET promo. That way even small stakes and rec players stand a chance of winning and they remain interested during the whole of the promo.The prizes can vary from cash,tournament tokens and sky branded mechandise (N.B size large hoody Please) which when worn is more advertising in itself. When i first joined, sky ran the caption contest, I was lucky enough to win a seat into the £8000 rebuy (normally way outside my roll) and enjoyed the run while in lasted.Give new players and rec players a chance to improve, learn and move up the stakes and I am sure they will stay.                        Reagrds Eddie. 
    Posted by Eddie1878
    THIS

I said in one of the older discussions that these are the kinda things that new players want. Golden Tickets, something which literally 100% of the player base have a chance of winning (not <1%).
  • edited June 2013
    Had a read of that other forum post - found it interesting. 

Noticed a few this though said by sky and scotty that seemed to just be disregarded. 

1. time of year
    2. mondays usually quieter
    3. start game yourself 

I just think that sky have more information on what generates action etc and have the stats to make the decisions, whereas all us forumers just going on our opinion and theory. 

also like to add that:

1. sky run many more intervals of tables compared to other sites, this could reduce action at cirtain levels.
    2. how many times do u see recs start a table? what i generally see is 2-3 regs start it then recs join. If there were less regs would the recs start tables or just think this site is dead ill go elsewhere?
    3. look at sky on evenings / weekends - its packed, this shows there are plenty of recs out there, the fact they do not lay through the day is nothing that suprises me.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm with Eddie........these cash promos are getting beyond a joke. Wp dtm enjoy your bonus. In fact I'm pretty sure that I could name the top 10.....just copy and paste from every other cash promo.

Just another example of why the sky poker of today is WORSE than the sky poker of 2 or 3 years ago.
  • edited June 2013
    Here is the thread started by the Don, which I was referring to earlier. If anyone is interested, there are some good ideas on there.

Sky Poker Promotions - Feedback
  • edited June 2013
    Had a read of that other forum post - found it interesting.  Noticed a few this though said by sky and scotty that seemed to just be disregarded.  1. time of year 2. mondays usually quieter 3. start game yourself  I just think that sky have more information on what generates action etc and have the stats to make the decisions, whereas all us forumers just going on our opinion and theory.  also like to add that: 1. sky run many more intervals of tables compared to other sites, this could reduce action at cirtain levels. 2. how many times do u see recs start a table? what i generally see is 2-3 regs start it then recs join. If there were less regs would the recs start tables or just think this site is dead ill go elsewhere? 3. look at sky on evenings / weekends - its packed, this shows there are plenty of recs out there, the fact they do not lay through the day is nothing that suprises me.
    Posted by sighcall

When I started that thread my observations where made based on my experience of playing cash in July/August 2011. I was starting tables before 9am and by 10am, there where easily 6 tables full on non reg players. I had one stint where I played for 18 hours, and not once during this period did I have any issues 6 tabling nl30/40.

To a degree whilst I agree that the summer months means less play on the tables, there is no hiding from the fact an awful lot of casual poker players dont bother with sky anymore. 

• edited June 2013
    Had a read of that other forum post - found it interesting.  Noticed a few this though said by sky and scotty that seemed to just be disregarded.  1. time of year 2. mondays usually quieter 3. start game yourself  I just think that sky have more information on what generates action etc and have the stats to make the decisions, whereas all us forumers just going on our opinion and theory.  also like to add that: 1. sky run many more intervals of tables compared to other sites, this could reduce action at cirtain levels. 2. how many times do u see recs start a table? what i generally see is 2-3 regs start it then recs join. If there were less regs would the recs start tables or just think this site is dead ill go elsewhere? 3. look at sky on evenings / weekends - its packed, this shows there are plenty of recs out there, the fact they do not lay through the day is nothing that suprises me.
    Posted by sighcall
    1. Yes that's fair enough but the idea of promotions is to say 'I know things are quiet in Summer, so lets do something to get people excited about Sky and choose to play here'. When is a newbie ever gonna see a promo and go 'oh wow, I just gotta sign up, play about 10,000 hands in 1 week (which is insane for most people) and I might get £30'.

2. Monday's can be quieter but here we are at 5pm on Friday....
    30NL tables = 1
    40NL tables = 3
    50NL tables = 3

3. Personally I always start new tables because I hate waiting lists unless a table looks really good, tables need to be started and imo it's the easiest way of getting a table with recs as oppose to regs. Can be annoying tho when you get another reg join you who refuses to play HU with you and will just sit out till a rec joins.

Earlier you said there's no evidence for the recs dislike of how the tables are, I have personally seen players at the table moaning in the chat box about how annoying it is just seeing the same 5 people on every single table and that they don't like it.

I agree it's definitely regs that start tables because recs just wanna jump in to an open seat and get playing straight away, which is why it's bad to see what the lobby will be like during this week, where at one end of the scale there will be no tables running, and at the other end there will be so many that Sky stop spawning new ones.
  • edited June 2013
    Can someone on sky say when we will have another sng/mtt promo? Seems like the big deal/cash champ are the big earners and thats why they prevail. 

Perhaps a focus on hu sngs which has never been done on sky to try something different?
  • edited June 2013
    For the record I will be re installing one of my old Ipoker haunts and be playing there EXCLUSIVELY for the duration of the promo.