You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Another rake race - seriously?

Comments

• edited June 2013
    GOLDEN TICKET PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS HERE NOW!
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously?:
    GOLDEN TICKET PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS HERE NOW!
    Posted by est1967
    +1 GIVE EVERYONE A CHANCE PLEASE..
  • edited June 2013
    Anyone want to go over or under 50% of those who will get cash from this promo being the same players as last week's promo?

Any promo where you can predict so many of the winners in advance is a bad promo

Any promo where less than 1% of the players on the site have any motive to go for it must also be a bad promo

Come on Sky, this is getting beyond a joke
  • edited June 2013
    I definitely want the overs
  • edited June 2013
    some really good points in this thread like instead of promos like the big deal maybe money should be used for a private tournament or golden ticket these are much fairer for everyone and give everyone chance of winning imo even though i`ve never won in the golden tickets promo after getting the max amount tickets both times lol.

but in all honestly i really don`t care what promos are on end of the day it`s free money so can`t complain what sky decide to do for us. I will  just play my usual stakes,tables and hours and try my best to make the most profit out the tables i`m playing,also like others have said you can make more money on the tables over a weekend than what you could win for 1st in one these promos.
  • edited June 2013
    I completely agree, it's free money and I'm not fussed one way or the other cos I'll just carry on doing my own thing, so I don't mind how they spend it as long as the promo doesn't adversely affect the quality of the games.

I mean £20,000 given out over these last 4 promos to the same old people. Apart from the select few that came like top 3, this idea would have benefited far more....

We're on Hand Number 666931063 atm (I just checked a cash table).

Any stakes (real money only), any game (cash, SnG or MTT), milestone hands.

So 666935000

W/e, choose your own intervals based on how long you think it will take to get through them and payout all the money.

Win the milestone hand = £50
    Dealt in but lose = £10

So on a 6max table that is a max payout of £100 which means for £20k you could pay 200 tables which means 1200 people would benefit. Miles better than 40 people and everyone has a chance. If the hand appears shorthanded/in a HU SnG or whatever, then still £10 for loser and £50 for winner but just means even more tables can be paid out.

It still encourages play which Sky obviously want to do because people will wanna play round the mile stone hands but it won't have any negative affect in terms of people just folding lots or whatever. Some people might play a lot of tables, but I doubt it would have a large impact because I don't think most people would see it as worth it to play a million tables and play -EV poker just for a shot at £10 or £50. And that's a good thing, cos we don't want it to just be about high volume regs chasing all the money.

This creates a pretty level playing field where no-one should have a big advantage, tons of people get paid out, and as we hear all the time, SO many people would prefer just getting a little something often than a miniscule chance of something big.

FWIW, I think the intervals should be in short bursts with a bit of a gap between 'burst' so maybe like 5 hand numbers that you'd expect to be played in the space of 3pm - 7pm on Monday then 5 hand numbers you expect will happen around 8pm - 11pm on Tuesday or something of the like.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : 1. Yes that's fair enough but the idea of promotions is to say 'I know things are quiet in Summer, so lets do something to get people excited about Sky and choose to play here'. When is a newbie ever gonna see a promo and go 'oh wow, I just gotta sign up, play about 10,000 hands in 1 week (which is insane for most people) and I might get £30'. 2. Monday's can be quieter but here we are at 5pm on Friday.... 30NL tables = 1 40NL tables = 3 50NL tables = 3 3. Personally I always start new tables because I hate waiting lists unless a table looks really good, tables need to be started and imo it's the easiest way of getting a table with recs as oppose to regs. Can be annoying tho when you get another reg join you who refuses to play HU with you and will just sit out till a rec joins. Earlier you said there's no evidence for the recs dislike of how the tables are, I have personally seen players at the table moaning in the chat box about how annoying it is just seeing the same 5 people on every single table and that they don't like it. I agree it's definitely regs that start tables because recs just wanna jump in to an open seat and get playing straight away, which is why it's bad to see what the lobby will be like during this week, where at one end of the scale there will be no tables running, and at the other end there will be so many that Sky stop spawning new ones.
    Posted by Lambert180
    100% of recs will have jobs (in theory lol)
    99% of jobs are 9-5pm. im not at all shocked that there is little traffic until about 7 when people are home, had some food and a shower etc. 

atm there are 17 NL50 tables. cant even be bothered to count lower levels but im sure it much more. 

so, 3 tables when (mainly) regs are playing and 14 more when its mostly recs. currently 3.6k on the site so can somewheone tell me am i missing something or is sky not struggling at all?

Sky cant physically get people to play when at work. the reason why other sites (Poker****) can get traffic 24/7 is it runs in many many countries so there are always people not working etc. also there are a lot of reg filled tables on this site makes it worse imo.

i think that this seems to be a nevereding cycle where not everyone will ever agree.

all im saying is sky arnt mugs and some poeple seem to think skys main aim is to keep majority of players happy when its not its to make th $$$$ and i dont blame them! :)

• edited June 2013
    lol Not read most of the posts way 2 many!

While it is a "promotion" that will benefit some, a small few players.

Really it's for sky, they willbe making a fortune off it. Think about the extra rake it will generate. They give away 5k, but will get much more than that back in increased rake.

The promos not to encourage new players, simply to make more money, and clearly it's working 4th in so many weeks.
  • edited June 2013
    lol Not read most of the posts way 2 many! While it is a "promotion" that will benefit some, a small few players. Really it's for sky, they willbe making a fortune off it. Think about the extra rake it will generate. They give away 5k, but will get much more than that back in increased rake. The promos not to encourage new players, simply to make more money, and clearly it's working 4th in so many weeks.
    Posted by LARSON7
    +1
  • edited June 2013
    lol Not read most of the posts way 2 many! While it is a "promotion" that will benefit some, a small few players. Really it's for sky, they willbe making a fortune off it. Think about the extra rake it will generate. They give away 5k, but will get much more than that back in increased rake. The promos not to encourage new players, simply to make more money, and clearly it's working 4th in so many weeks.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Again you're seeing the short term gain, without the long term loss. 
  • edited June 2013
    I dont see how this is a long term loss? during the summer this is the lowest time for the amount of players they have on site as most ppl holiday/vegas/summer things eg.

This isnt gunna be a constant thing but sky gotta do something to keep the numbers and profits rolling in , watch when the heavens open and the holidays are over the promotions will soon change and skys numbers will rise again there in a win/win situation.
  • edited June 2013
    I dont see how this is a long term loss? during the summer this is the lowest time for the amount of players they have on site as most ppl holiday/vegas/summer things eg. This isnt gunna be a constant thing but sky gotta do something to keep the numbers and profits rolling in , watch when the heavens open and the holidays are over the promotions will soon change and skys numbers will rise again there in a win/win situation.
    Posted by kidwiz10
    Disagree, sky said when the new points system was rolled out that they would be running additional promos. Its already been highlighted how such promos put off casual or rec players from joining the site, I dont know how many different ways you can highlight this. Some people just dont get it. 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : Disagree, sky said when the new points system was rolled out that they would be running additional promos. Its already been highlighted how such promos put off casual or rec players from joining the site, I dont know how many different ways you can highlight this. Some people just dont get it. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    The new points system (which was an obvious improvement from sky) becomes completely irrelevant when they revert back to 'Players can win by being dealt into the greatest number of hands' for these promos.

Then there is the two divided tiers that they have.

Cash Games: 1st - 7th July  Low (Big Blind is 50p or less)High (Big Blind is over 50p)1£300£5002£250£3503£200£3004£150£2005£100£2006£100£1507£100£1508£100£1509£100£15010£100£15011£50£7512£50£7513£50£7514£50£7515£50£7516£50£7517£50£7518£50£7519£50£7520£50£75
    I mean come on!

It's like SKY have tried to create the most stupid and pointless promotion they could think of.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : The new points system (which was an obvious improvement from sky) becomes completely irrelevant when they revert back to   ' Players can win by being dealt into the greatest number of hands' for these promos. Then there is the two divided tiers that they have. Cash Games: 1st - 7th July     Low (Big Blind is 50p or less) High (Big Blind is over 50p) 1 £300 £500 2 £250 £350 3 £200 £300 4 £150 £200 5 £100 £200 6 £100 £150 7 £100 £150 8 £100 £150 9 £100 £150 10 £100 £150 11 £50 £75 12 £50 £75 13 £50 £75 14 £50 £75 15 £50 £75 16 £50 £75 17 £50 £75 18 £50 £75 19 £50 £75 20 £50 £75 I mean come on! It's like SKY have tried to create the most stupid and pointless promotion they could think of.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    Meh nl4 to win £300 or nl50 to win £500, didnt think of it like that !
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : The new points system (which was an obvious improvement from sky) becomes completely irrelevant when they revert back to   ' Players can win by being dealt into the greatest number of hands' for these promos. Then there is the two divided tiers that they have. Cash Games: 1st - 7th July     Low (Big Blind is 50p or less) High (Big Blind is over 50p) 1 £300 £500 2 £250 £350 3 £200 £300 4 £150 £200 5 £100 £200 6 £100 £150 7 £100 £150 8 £100 £150 9 £100 £150 10 £100 £150 11 £50 £75 12 £50 £75 13 £50 £75 14 £50 £75 15 £50 £75 16 £50 £75 17 £50 £75 18 £50 £75 19 £50 £75 20 £50 £75 I mean come on! It's like SKY have tried to create the most stupid and pointless promotion they could think of.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    I think the 2 tier system they use is the worst part of the whole promotion! Surely it has to be split into 3 tiers. Tier 1 - NL 4 up to NL 20, Tier 2 - NL 30 up to NL50, Tier 3 - NL100 and above. I don't understand how they can pay the winner of low stakes £300 and the winner of the other tier £500.
    As said before this just encourages regs at NL50 to drop down the limits while those that pay way more rake at NL100 and above are just getting screwed over a little imo. The payout structure is just all wrong.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : Again you're seeing the short term gain, without the long term loss. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    lol yeah, possibly will be a long term loss, hard to say.

Me and a few others are playing a lot less on sky now, due to the promos. I know devonfish, is havinga  break from playing as much on here too.

So that backs up what you are saying about "long term loss".

But i guess most players will avoid the weeks when this promo runs and just back back aftewards. It's hard to say.

My main point i was making was this is not for "new players" and certain players making a certain "bonus" is secondary to the fact when they run these Sky must be making a fortune.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : lol yeah, possibly will be a long term loss, hard to say. Me and a few others are playing a lot less on sky now, due to the promos. I know devonfish, is havinga  break from playing as much on here too. So that backs up what you are saying about "long term loss". But i guess most players will avoid the weeks when this promo runs and just back back aftewards. It's hard to say. My main point i was making was this is not for "new players" and certain players making a certain "bonus" is secondary to the fact when they run these Sky must be making a fortune.
    Posted by LARSON7
    The issue isn't just yourself and devonfish. I explained it better in Smitalos' thread will try to here. 

In particualr when theres a promotion NL40/50 and lower where its just dealt into a raked hand - therefore encourages people (i dont blame or have anything against these people) to drop down to NL4. I know ive done this i havent moved back up as of yet, and i done it because i assumed it was a one off. 

So we now have 5-6 NL10/20/30 regs playing at NL4. This suffocates the NL4 action, reduces the amount of seats for recreational players to sit at, and NL4 regs. NL4 tables stop spawning. These players now withdraw their money and go and play on some other site/never play poker again/go to pub. 

Meanwhile this is happening at NL20/30 very few tables are running. Therefore the average regs who don't want to drop down don't play/withdraw br download hem and play elsewhere. 

Therefore, in one week you have alienated not 1, not 2 but 3 parts of your customer base to please the few. Some of thse players will come back - most likely the regs of NL30 and NL4. But the recrational players are unlikely too. 

It works like a food chain, you kill the sun, you kill the plants, you kill the plants you kill the herbivores, you kill the herbivores you kill the carnivores. 

• edited June 2013
    I lose £200 a month in rakeback that is passed onto lower raking/new players since rewards began.  They run rake races that I can make an extra £300 or £600 if they run two and I grind like crazy for both promotions.  I pay £5000 a month in rake so getting a little back through a rake race isn't to much to ask I don't think.  I also get my rewards back.

I certainly wouldn't be grinding 100+ hours a week for the golden ticket promo.  I've hit the max points everytime and never won anything.  It takes about 15 mins to reach the target.

I think the tables are great and last month when they ran two promotions I had my biggest winning month soley from profit yet.

Who are these regs that just fold to win the promotions?  Surely just folding to win a race rake is SO minus ev.  It would cost you an absolute fortune.  These players must be the most exploitable ever.

I cannot believe the amount of moaning on here.  Are sky withdrawing money from your accounts to pay for these promotions?
  • edited June 2013
    I know what you are saying mate, i agree with you it's a feeble promo and not good 4 the site
  • edited June 2013
    Lol DTMs not that bad, I've definitely seem him show up with a few funky hands! I can think of many players who are sitting there waiting for like JJ+ and AQ+ and I don't class DTM as one of them.

Tbf though DTM, as you say, you've lost £200 per month in C4P since rewards... but you must have won about £1000+ in promos over the last 6 weeks, so there's a slight discrepancy. You're better off now than you were under the old system if they keep running these weekly.

Again, I'm not bothered that you win, and you do grind like a mo fo to do it, wp to you. Would just be nice to have something different that didn't adversely affect the games (imo)

I'm not having a go, it's perfectly within your right to do it, but just out of interest, do you plan on grinding 4NL for the first week of July during this promo?
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : You fold pretty much every hand apart from a premium range. Does it not do ur nut in pressing buttons?
    Posted by LARSON7

Do I?  I made 122 buy ins last month.

I must be so easy to beat then.  

• edited June 2013

what I think causes the problems with this promo is that you have the chance to get free money for playing nothing.
    why couldn't the prizes for the biggest rake on the micro stakes be free entry into some tournament.
    something like say
    1st free entry into the 25K promo and mini
    2nd free entry into the 25K promo only
    3rd free entry into Tuesday Thursday and main and mini
    4th free entry into Tuesday Thursday and main event only
    5th get 1 £33 main and 1 mini
    6th 1 main event
    7th-12th can have free entry into 7 down to 2 mini events depending on position

basically something like that because the recs will do anything to get the chance of free entry into a big tournament but with it only being 1st-4th getting much value it would look pointless for the biggest stake to drop down to the micro stakes table.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : Do I?  I made 122 buy ins last month. I must be so easy to beat then.  
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Nooooo, cause you only wait for premium hands lol

• edited June 2013
    larson7 i`ve played a lot with DTM and he defo not as tight as what your saying i`ve seen loads of funky hands that even i would be proud of but just to clarify he ain`t a nit,also just to touch on what lambert has said they are so many at these levels that are just so nitty which really makes the games boring imo.
  • edited June 2013
    I don't think it's fair that people have a go at DTM for dropping down tbh. It's the promo's fault not DTM's. He's well within his right (as we all are) to play whatever games he likes. He certainly wasn't the only one to do it last time, and if he does do it again he won't be alone.

If Sky make it rake paid/points earned then there's no way he would drop to 4NL, but they haven't and this is one of the major flaws in the promo.
  • edited June 2013
    Lol DTMs not that bad, I've definitely seem him show up with a few funky hands! I can think of many players who are sitting there waiting for like JJ+ and AQ+ and I don't class DTM as one of them. Tbf though DTM, as you say, you've lost £200 per month in C4P since rewards... but you must have won about £1000+ in promos over the last 6 weeks, so there's a slight discrepancy. You're better off now than you were under the old system if they keep running these weekly. Again, I'm not bothered that you win, and you do grind like a mo fo to do it, wp to you. Would just be nice to have something different that didn't adversely affect the games (imo) I'm not having a go, it's perfectly within your right to do it, but just out of interest, do you plan on grinding 4NL for the first week of July during this promo?
    Posted by Lambert180
    No, but I have to play all lower stakes tables late at night and early in the mornings to enable me to keep 16-20 tables going.

I can't make a living playing 4nl.

We can agree to disagree about the tables being tougher.  I'm on most of them so theres one bad player that only plays AA and KK so just steal my blinds everytime.  You'll make a fortune doing that for 16 hours a day ;-).

I'm pleased you can see where I'm coming from, losing rake and then having promo's that don't benefit the higher raking players wouldn't exactly be fair.  

Sky should run the promo fortnightly and then there wouldn't be all this debate.  It obvisouly makes them alot of money!

GL at the tables buddy!
  • edited June 2013
    Rake race's will work for Skypoker, remember 99% of players on here are not very good, 1% are making a killing. So keep it simple, keep people at the tables,

People have won £20'000-£30'000 from this site, yet look at the user numbers? A lot of people most be lossing a lot of money.
  • edited June 2013
    larson7 i`ve played a lot with DTM and he defo not as tight as what your saying i`ve seen loads of funky hands that even i would be proud of but just to clarify he ain`t a nit,also just to touch on what lambert has said they are so many at these levels that are just so nitty which really makes the games boring imo.
    Posted by liamboi11
    Hows tricks mate?  Missing my easy dollar at the table the last few days?

Got the Notts seat won yet?  #takeabucketwithyou
  • edited June 2013
    I don't think it's fair that people have a go at DTM for dropping down tbh. It's the promo's fault not DTM's. He's well within his right (as we all are) to play whatever games he likes. He certainly wasn't the only one to do it last time, and if he does do it again he won't be alone. If Sky make it rake paid/points earned then there's no way he would drop to 4NL, but they haven't and this is one of the major flaws in the promo.
    Posted by Lambert180
    That's fair enough it is a flaw with the promo.

Where i am coming from: the first time this promo ran in May it destroyed 4nl there wasn't much play at all. From my experience the vast majority of tables were filled with regs, playing loads of tables, it wasn't so much poker as pushing buttons. As soon as the 32 raise came in you knew what they had within a few hands.

I sat at one table during the last promo and 3 x raised a table of regs every hand, the maximum number of times i got folds uncotetsted was 11 hands in a row lol

You are right it's not fair singling out individuals. I had posted a couple of threads about DTM above relating to the promo, which i've now deleted. I know where i am coming from but it wasn't right singalling out 1 person.

You can understand DTM doing it, it is his living and allows him to win £300 tax free for a few days work.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Another rake race - seriously? : Hows tricks mate?  Missing my easy dollar at the table the last few days? Got the Notts seat won yet?  #takeabucketwithyou
    Posted by Donttelmum
    easy dollars i wish and when you back at the tables mate you enjoying wimbledon?

not tried to qualify for notts yet was going to give it a go this week and yeah bringing 2 buckets will be a long wkend again lol