You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The £500,000 Sky Poker UK Poker Championships

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
Breaking news following an announcement made by Tikay at the SPT Grand Final just now...

Sky Poker has announced it will host the inaugural UK Poker Championship at one of Europe's leading poker venues Dusk Till Dawn in Nottingham in February 2014. The highlight of the seven-day festival will be the Championship Event and its guaranteed £500,000 prize pool.

The Sky Poker UK Poker Championship will take place 19th-23rd February 2014 at Dusk Till Dawn. The £1000+£100 event will include two Day 1 flights on Wednesday 19th and Thursday 20th February, with the UK Poker Champion crowned on Sunday 23rd February. The event will be broadcast on Sky Sports.

The UK Poker Championship Event will be the finale to a seven day long Sky Poker UK Poker Festival which kicks off on Monday 17th February which will include a High Roller event as well as a two-day Pot Limit Omaha tournament. The winner of a UK Poker Festival leaderboard will also secure themselves a $15,000 Las Vegas Holiday Package.

“Everyone at Sky Poker is really excited about the UK Poker Championships,” said Richard Milner, Head of Sky Poker. “It will be the biggest live event we have ever had and comes hot on the heels of another successful season of the Sky Poker Tour, which culminated in our Grand Final, also at DTD”. 

He added, “It also comes at a time when there are many other exciting developments to our poker product and promotions at skypoker.com. We’re delighted to be working with Rob and his great team at DTD on this event - we’ve had many excellent events there in the past and this will be even bigger and better!”

Details of Satellites into the £500,000 UK Poker Championship will be announced in the coming weeks on www.skypoker.com with freeroll satellites confirmed as part of the schedule.

DATE

TIME

EVENT

BUY-IN

Monday 17th Feb

8pm

Main Event Mega Satellite

£100 + £10

Tuesday 18th Feb

1pm

High Roller Mega Satellite

£300 + £30

6pm

High Roller – Day 1 (2 day event)

£3000 + £150

8pm

£100 + £10

Wednesday 19th Feb

1pm

Main Event - Day 1a (4 day event)

£1000 + £100

2pm

High Roller – Day 2

8pm

£100 + £10

Thursday 20th Feb

1pm

Main Event – Day 1b

Heads-up (by arrangement)

£500 + £50

Friday 21st Feb

1pm

Main Event  - Day 2

2pm

Pot Limit Omaha – Day 1 (2 day event)

£500 + £50

Saturday 22nd Feb

1pm

Main Event – Day 3

2pm

Pot Limit Omaha – Day 2

Six-Max – Day 1 (2 day event)

£500 + £50

Sunday 23rd Feb

1pm

Main Event – Day 4

2pm

Six-Max – Day 2

2pm

Turbo NLHE

£500 + £50

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Sounds brilliant well done all who were involved in pulling this off.
  • edited October 2013
    Cracking news!

Personally, I would like to see Sky Poker adopt the 'Steps' sit and go satelite systems that another poker room use. Extremely popular and a great way to involve every bankroll

Jonathan
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Special Announcement - The £500,000 Sky Poker UK Poker Championships:
    Cracking news! Personally, I would like to see Sky Poker adopt the 'Steps' sit and go satelite systems that another poker room use. Extremely popular and a great way to involve every bankroll Jonathan
    Posted by JBuss
    100% agree with this

Would also like to see a return of TSP for this. 
  • edited October 2013
  • edited October 2013
    sounds gr8 - will definatley be trying a satilite or 2 or 10 to be getting involded 
  • edited October 2013
    Ooh omaha, better start saving, lookin forward to this
  • edited October 2013
    This is incredible news!!

I can't wait to attempt to qualify! :-)
  • edited October 2013
    I also think this is great news , but im not going to be the only one that says this but ive seen a comment today on skypoker saying they cant understand why out of the 215 runners theres only half tje field that are sky players.ive alot of mates on sky and I know they tried alot of times to qualify and didnt make it and their bankroll like many isnt big enough to buy straight in,so I believe you will have same outcome in febuary as if they cant do 330 buy in they wont do 1k buy in, I understand skypoker are looking to get bigger and bigger and I for one hope you succeed as ive been with you from day1 , but I just dont think you will be getting many skyplayers there, I honestly hope im wrong and would love to be there myself , dont take this as a dig as it isnt, just my opinion along with a few others I know
  • edited October 2013
    Woohoo! Great news, want to play in as many of these as possible! 
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Special Announcement - The £500,000 Sky Poker UK Poker Championships:
    I also think this is great news , but im not going to be the only one that says this but ive seen a comment today on skypoker saying they cant understand why out of the 215 runners theres only half tje field that are sky players.ive alot of mates on sky and I know they tried alot of times to qualify and didnt make it and their bankroll like many isnt big enough to buy straight in,so I believe you will have same outcome in febuary as if they cant do 330 buy in they wont do 1k buy in, I understand skypoker are looking to get bigger and bigger and I for one hope you succeed as ive been with you from day1 , but I just dont think you will be getting many skyplayers there, I honestly hope im wrong and would love to be there myself , dont take this as a dig as it isnt, just my opinion along with a few others I know
    Posted by SHAUNY
    i agree 100% , most sky poker players would love to be able to play live in even bigger events but money is always an issue.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Special Announcement - The £500,000 Sky Poker UK Poker Championships : 100% agree with this Would also like to see a return of TSP for this. 
    Posted by The_Don90

Big +1 to this, and not just cos I'm hoping a free seat :p lol. Think it would be a great opportunity to get TSP back out, especially as it's festival ran by Sky
  • edited October 2013
    The whole schedule looks great!

Wish I could play them all but unfortunately I'm not sufficiently rolled, I will definitely play at least one but hopefully two of the events though.
  • edited October 2013
    Posted by SHAUNY
    Thanks Shauny.

Appreciate & understand the comments.

Maybe, maye not, but there will be zillions of Satellites to suit all pockets, & over a 3 month period, so there'll be opportunity for everyone to live the dream & play this.

But here's the thing, & it needs to be said. We want as many existing Sky Poker regulars as possible to play it, of course we do, but part of the logic of this things is to raise the profile, awareness & credibility of the Site, & attract new players. So all those things need to be addressed, not just the existing player base.

The Site does its best - not always successfully - to keep the existing player base happy, with endless promos, the TV Channel, Community, SPT, da de da, & will continue to do all those things.

Right now, the 2014 Sky Poker Tour is in the late stages of planning & spend approval. If the proposals submitted are accepted, it will include at least one (maybe more) SPT with a £110 entry fee. 

Hope you qualify for the Sky Poker UK Poker Championship though. We all share that dream.   

• edited October 2013
    Wish I had enough money. Waaaaaah. 

What is everyones thoughts on running steps satellites for this tournament? Maybe in the form of a maximum 6 players, where the top 1/2 progress to the next stage? Starting at £5-11? 

• edited October 2013
    Why not start at the bottom, say 60p?
  • edited October 2013
    Aswell as the usual, Quater/Semi/Direct
  • edited October 2013
    Why not start at the bottom, say 60p?
    Posted by FCHD
    If you read the bottom paragraph it will be accessible via free rolls, cant get any cheaper than that.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Special Announcement - The £500,000 Sky Poker UK Poker Championships : 100% agree with this Would also like to see a return of TSP for this. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    I think we are all keen to see a return of TSP, but I dont think it is in the best interest of the company to have it at their own event.

TSP has similar goals as the SPUKPC (brand awareness) so to run them along side each other is going to minimise the impact.  It is much more benefical to run TSP at a non-sky poker event to maximise potential new audience.

On a personel note, I want to congratulate Sky on attempting this, it all sounds absolutely fantastic and I'm hopeful it will be a major success. There is a great spread of events and buy-ins and with all the satellites that will be running, everyone has a shot at some serious money, Good Luck to us all.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Special Announcement - The £500,000 Sky Poker UK Poker Championships : I think we are all keen to see a return of TSP, but I dont think it is in the best interest of the company to have it at their own event. TSP has similar goals as the SPUKPC (brand awareness) so to run them along side each other is going to minimise the impact.  It is much more benefical to run TSP at a non-sky poker event to maximise potential new audience. On a personel note, I want to congratulate Sky on attempting this, it all sounds absolutely fantastic and I'm hopeful it will be a major success. There is a great spread of events and buy-ins and with all the satellites that will be running, everyone has a shot at some serious money, Good Luck to us all.
    Posted by david666
    Why are pokerstars events filled with Team Pro's then ?
  • edited October 2013
    Why is there a second "Poker" in the title?

Sky Poker UK Championship

Sky Poker Championship UK

Sky UK Poker Championship

Surely one of those would be better. Not that I'm picky about the details or anything.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Special Announcement - The £500,000 Sky Poker UK Poker Championships : Why are pokerstars events filled with Team Pro's then ?
    Posted by The_Don90
    Wrote a long detailed reply don and then deleted it, not for this thread.  I just dont feel sky should put all the 'eggs in one basket'.  Doesnt seem much sense in trying to promote sky poker to a room full of people with sky poker accounts.

• edited October 2013
    Why is there a second "Poker" in the title? Sky Poker UK Championship Sky Poker Championship UK Sky UK Poker Championship Surely one of those would be better. Not that I'm picky about the details or anything.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I prefer Sky Poker UK Poker Championship of Poker...

...Poker.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Special Announcement - The £500,000 Sky Poker UK Poker Championships : Thanks Shauny. Appreciate & understand the comments. Maybe, maye not, but there will be zillions of Satellites to suit all pockets, & over a 3 month period, so there'll be opportunity for everyone to live the dream & play this. But here's the thing, & it needs to be said. We want as many existing Sky Poker regulars as possible to play it, of course we do, but part of the logic of this things is to raise the profile, awareness & credibility of the Site, & attract new players. So all those things need to be addressed, not just the existing player base. The Site does its best - not always successfully - to keep the existing player base happy, with endless promos, the TV Channel, Community, SPT, da de da, & will continue to do all those things. Right now, the 2014 Sky Poker Tour is in the late stages of planning & spend approval. If the proposals submitted are accepted, it will include at least one (maybe more) SPT with a £110 entry fee.  Hope you qualify for the Sky Poker UK Poker Championship though. We all share that dream.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for the reply, I hope your right and there are alot of sky players there as its some community you/we have , and understand totally what sky are trying to do :-)

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Special Announcement - The £500,000 Sky Poker UK Poker Championships : Wrote a long detailed reply don and then deleted it, not for this thread.  I just dont feel sky should put all the 'eggs in one basket'.  Doesnt seem much sense in trying to promote sky poker to a room full of people with sky poker accounts.   
    Posted by david666
    I hate it when stuff like that happens. 

I agree with what your saying about having TSP at other events, but i also think they should have strong rep at Sky ran events. The SPT is a massive community tour of 99% sky players thus your arguement i 100% agree with there, just this event i think will be much more stronger with non sky players and a good promotional team would be good. 

I like the idea that all players would be selected though, as i think a mix of pokering ability mixed with the approachability is good. 

This is just my opinion, but just 5-10 people wearing a Team Sky Poker hoody would be good. Might help balance all that merchandice you can buy on other sites.
  • edited October 2013

Morning all.

Just to pick up on  few questions.

Satellites will start next week - this week the focus needs to be on UKOPS - and the Satellite schedule will try to cater for ALL pockets, including Freerolls.

Plans for associated Promos (TSP was mentioned by several) will be announced in due course. I would doubt that there will be a "TSP" as such, but it would be good to have a strong representation of Sky Poker players, & I hope the Promos will reflect this.

The Event title - Sky Poker UK Poker Championship - was chosen for a number of specific reasons, & it will do exactly what it is designed to do.

Keep the questions coming please, I'm here all week. Or I hope I am. You never know these days, do you?.....;)      
  • edited October 2013
    The Event title - Sky Poker UK Poker Championship - was chosen for a number of specific reasons
    Not in the least for its catchy acronym - SPUPC!
  • edited October 2013
    But in seriousness, this is all awesome and I'm very excited!
  • edited October 2013
    Well if it's the SPU Poker Championship I'll be in - if there is one thing I can do it's play spew poker.
  • edited October 2013
    very excited about this & i'll def be hitting the satellites to try & get in cheap.

should be a fantastic week!
  • edited November 2013

All these things are subject to change, but some more details of this Event are below.

Day 1a, 1pm, Wednesday 19th February

Day 1b - 1pm, Thursday 20th February

Day 2 - 1pm, Friday 21st February

Day 3 - 1pm, Saturday 22nd February

Final Day - 1pm Sunday 23rd February