You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

CraigSG1 Cash Diary and new goals. Starting BR £500. Current: £540

Comments

• edited February 2014

Hi Craig,
                 also sorry about your cat mate, they are part of the family aren't they, and it will be a sad loss for you.
    it will hurt for a few days I'm sure, but life will return to normal again, you'll see.
    as to the poker, take a day or two off, maybe play an mtt or two,as you say,  which will cost you the buy-ins only.
    if you can't resist a game of cash then I'd drop a level at this time, as your mind is not in such a good place atm.
    anyway mate, hope today goes ok for you,
    best wishes,
    dev
  • edited February 2014
    Day 86 and 87

Thanks everyone, im still pretty devastated. Its more the suddenness of it all.

I shouldn't have really played since then as my heads been off and also some really sick coolers have not helped either. Five times ive been flush over flushed to very active players. I busted out a tourny to a 2 outer river deep and lost with top set to r r straight. The only good hand I had was 66 on a K66 flop v KK. Every other time I made a big hand I won a small pot.

I played a little today mainly because of the £2k FR in which i got 33/695 for £9.60, my exit came in typical fashion. Three hands earlier I could have called with a hand that would have knocked him and another out. Then my exit was top two pair against a set when stacks very shallow. A hold there and im 3/4th in chips.

My BR has took a bad hit recently so with confidence low and home stuff i'm going to take a break and come back Friday. Hopefully refreshed and with some determination and maybe a tiny bit of luck and run? I won't hold my breath. 

BR £628.33    PP 1033
  • edited February 2014
    Day 88 - 92 

No play.

Day 93

Well, after a break I returned. I'm still feeling a bit down and there is still a feeling of something missing but we have to move on. I miss him and he is still missed.

I kept myself busy, playing snooker (playing well but sadly losing by small margins) and went to see Robocop. I enjoyed it and thought it was a decent update. Wasnt too long and look forward to a sequel. 

Pokerwise things went ok in cash, I played two hours and finished £14+ up mainly due to one hand. I lost and won a few small ones. Played a bit better than ok, the break has helped me to stop playing robotically and hand read! I felt I made a few solid lay downs (AA and QQ the standouts. Both overpairs to the board on the river but I think I folded correctly) and managing to induce some bluffs instead of betting players off hands. 

MTT wise, not much luck. Played two main ones. The £2.20BH i took two heads and was coasting well until 1h30 in I lost to a calling stations draw Q9o(!) on a J10x x board when I had J10 aftewr raising pre and three callers. I overbet shoved the turn and he snapped and obviously hit the river. That pot was worth a top 3 stack. Big sigh.

The £5.75BH I had a HP to my name but after being cruely crippled almost an hour in I nursed a very short stack untill I luckily doubled with Q7hh v K2hh but two hands later my AQ lost a 3 way allin when after hitting top pair I lost to running flush cards. That would have put me back to average.

So, before the night started I said I would take a £10 profit and thats what I got. I'm just trying to rebuild confidence and momentum again so any step forward, no matter how small, is welcome.

BR £638.48     PP  1079
  • edited February 2014
    Day 94

A mixed bag today. Staying with the theme of disappointment and plain bad luck yet again my two MTT's went against me. In a £3.30Bh this morning I was pretty card dead on a very, very loose table. Just very few bluffable spots and no real hands. I lasted over an hour and a half and lost one HP worthy hand when I lost a race. I was low on chips - about 15BB - when I received my best hand (KK). I managed to maneuver my stack allin on the flop with a bit of dead money for a stack worth above average against 77 only for the 7 to then pop straight away on the turn. I finished 34/99. In a £2.30BH I again found myself on a gambling table and indeed lost a three way allin when ahead (PP v underpair v Ax) only to lose to both ( a set and an A). 

I simply can not catch a break in MTT's. I've lost count how many times I've got it in good only to lose to thin outs. If varfiance is true then I'm looking forward to the time it comes my way. I sholuld win 5/6 in a row!

Cash wise, I played a solid hour in the morning to finish £6 up (oh, and a penny) and then played 10 mins shy of four hours to record a £20+ profit. that being due to a hand coming very late on when my flopped nut straight won against the flopped bottom straight. Up untill then I had had a very frustrating night of winning small pots with my good hands and losing big ones to my 2nd best hands or coolers (such as AK v K9 on a K9x board, 2nd nut flush to nut flush, set to run run nut flush, top 2pr x2 to run run straight). To make matters worse had I been playing robotically I would have won a £60 pot with QQ when I folded the flop on a J65 two diamond board when I was behind to AA and 65(!). The Q river would have shipped it to me. I'm not being results orientated, im glad I made a good read but luck like that doesnt come when I need it! I then folded KK on a A high board when the guy revealed he had QQ. Just last week that would have been a weak A when I called.

Anyway, yet again another 'could have been' night but as I said yesterday, I will take any profit night no matter how much.

BR £659.47     PP 1274

I do have a problem where I focus too much on my last high ballance. I think this is the only drawback to setting a target. Yes it keeps you more disaplined but each time you dip down it feels a failure. I'm just going to go back to concentrating on small steps forward which served me so well early on.

*** UPDATE ***

My next 45 day update is due so here it is;

Cash saw me play 79 sessions with 54 winning ones v 25 losing. A good ratio and one that was dented late on so could have been even better. I won £445.33 and lost £308.33 to record a £136.95 profit. that could have been almost £80-£100 better apart form my last 4/5 days when I took a big hit. Saying that I'm still pleased to show a good profit even though sometimes I feel like giving up!

MTT's. 

The £2.30Bh is still a profitable one. I profited £41.98 from 23 games. The £3.30BH again showed a profit, £54.58 from 12 games. Another MTT in profit is the BH heads up whcih saw a £31.36 profit from 5 games. The last profitable MTT's where the freerolls (hard not to profit!!) which saw £35.79 added to my BR.

The failures came in one £11 MTT and my cursed MTT has been the £5.75 which saw a loss of almost £87 from 25 games. there is very little difference in standard (I would say its worse) that the lower buyins I played but I simply have not run well in them. Lots and lots of coolers and bad beats when ahead. I'm praying that will end. And soon!

I'm going to continue playing MTT's and cash but im going to try and segregate them more and play one discipline or another at any one time to help me assess the different type of spots you can get into better.
  • edited February 2014
    Day 95

Had two successful cash sessions. One this morning for an hour to make £7.92 and a 40 minute afternoon one to finish over £6 up. Was intending to play longer but just didnt feel up to it, and after making two poor calls (poor as in should have raised the river instead of flat calling. Reason was I played 4nl and being used to 10nl the calling ranges were far far wider and I should have gone for the maximum). The reason for a drop to 4nl was confidence based. I've had a bad run lately and this weekend after a break I have recorded 5 session profits from 5 so wanted to keep that up, and if I didnt try to limit the damage. 

Im very happy to have added £45 to my BR this weekend, if I can do that again next weekend and add a little in between I will be very happy indeed.

MTT wise the run continues. I played a £3BH this morning and made it to the bubble before busting out. I took 3 heads which gave me a little profit but things could have been so much better. Late on I was comfortable until I UTG raised AK and had a loose guy shove a big decent stack allin. I had notes and knew he could and does shove light. Normally I would sigh fold as I had a decent stack but I knew I had avery good chance of being well ahead so I called. I was right, he tabled AJs. A safe flop came and I thought surely I would be ok this time. But no, running flush cards game him the pot and left me with 15BB. The win would have put me 3rd and a nice HP. I grinded back up and when the bubble came I looked good for a cash with four very short stacks. The only problem was the bubble lasted over twenty minutes and every allin won, some in outrageous fasion! One guy hitting a one outer on the river. I went out against a bully big stack when my top pair on a four handed table was no good against his AA. Sometimes they just have it! Another big sigh.

I had the £2000FR but again things went bad. I lost an allin with AK v 88. I flopped well, turned well but lost to a rivered 8. A guy also said he folded an 8. What can I do? It realy is soul destroying because I am constantly getting my stack in ahead (sometimes by a lot) only to lose. If variance is true then I look forward to the times when I actually win with the best hands more often.

Moan over, sorry! 

BR £673.97      PP 1306
  • edited February 2014
    Day 96

I had another winning cash session, played for over 2h for a £1.80 profit. Its another for the win column but to be frank not much happened, just played solid poker and did as good as I could with the very little I had. 

I played a £2BH but the curse is still there. I was doing really well, playing good and hitting a few hands when I evetually busted in the space of an orbit from 6/42 to out in 42. Firstly my KJs lost to J9o on a 97J J 7 board. A cooler. Then against serial limpers I went allin with 1000 in the pot and my 4200 stack with AQo and got called by AQo! But as usual, a runner runner flush knocked me out. 

All of that meant a whopping £1 increase. I guess i'll take it.

BR £674.93    PP 1328
  • edited February 2014
    Day 97

Just a quick hour of cash today, and another succesful one! Sometimes I cant get a winning session and feel like I should give up cash; then I put a run together that makes me feel that yes i can play cash! Its so swingy! But with my two 45 day updates I have recorded good gains (£73 from 4nl and then £136 from mainly 10nl with some 4nl) so I can do it but I have a LOT to learn.

So, I managed to gain over £26 which has propelled me past the £700 mark again and that makes me feel a lot better. The gain was mainly due to two hands in three on a 10nl MC table where I first got KK and when 3 bet I 4 bet but this time to an amount where I could either induce a shove or get a light call. I have been guilty of over playing my premiums and chasing away the weaker hands and only keeping in strong ones. We all hate it when an A flops but we cant think about that. Anyway, he called and then min raised my bet on a J high board. I was only really losing to JJ or AA so I called and on a J turn I thought I was ahead. He jammed and I called and faded the A when he showed AQ for a bluff. Two hands later I called a bet and call with 89s and hey-ho, I flopped the nuts. Again, I am guilty of fast playing these hands always thinking of bad beats but as Ive said I only force out weak hands and bluffs. I kept my head and managed to get both players allin by the river to win a nice £30 pot. Sadly the table broke as I had busted 3 players and they went.

Its been a while since I've had a good hand get paid so for two in three it was nice! Hopefully ive learnt my lessons and can get better value from my hands in the future. Cash is definatley a great learning experience. I just need to add some more aggression!

BR £ 701.71     PP 1340
  • edited February 2014
    Day 98

Today consisted of two cash sessions, a quick 45 min one at lunch that yielded a nice £10 and then an hour and a half for a 77p profit. Nice that the good winning run is still going and confidence is back up.

I also had two MTT's, the timed £300FR in which I managed to last and take £2.51. The other was the £2BH.

That, finally, went very well! I got off to a good start and then just played solid. I then won a huge 3 way allin with the turned nuts and faded a FD to become chip leader after an hour. I kept that up for a while but became card dead as we approached the bubble. I stayed calm and after the bubble burst managed to double up from shortie to mid and then up to 3rd. 

On the final table I managed to go from 4/6 to leader and I never lost it untill heads up. I started off with a 2/1 advantage but lost a cooler A9 v AJ to reverse stacks. I stuck at it though and turned it around and after a long battle - I WON!!!!!

So so good to get this win and break the curse!

BR £772.73    PP 1366
  • edited February 2014
    Day 99

No play.

Day 100

Not a very good day, lost over £30 and all due to an horrendous last one hour of cash where I was coolered once and outdrawn a few other times on the river when well ahead. 

Didnt fare too good in my two MTT's, first losing a race after dwindling when I couldnt stop gettin beat by rubbish hands. The £5BH curse continues, my AA losing a big all in on the flop pot v KQ on a Qh flop only for the rivered Q.The river really did kill me today.

I did have one +£14 cash session earlier but my long winning session run ended at the end. Always seems to happen when I almost do something else. 

Its decision time too as I'm not sure this diary gets any interest so I may abandon it publically and just continue on my own.

BR £741.25   PP 1436
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: HOLIDAY CHALLENGE £127.. TO (£1000 THE GOAL) CURRENT BR £772.73:
     Its decision time too as I'm not sure this diary gets any interest so I may abandon it publically and just continue on my own. BR £741.25   PP 1436
    Posted by CraigSG1
    People read Craig, but the UKPC is on and by nature these diaries are quite dry, becayse other peoples poker is boring :)  

I find it helps my own disclipline anyway so I would acrry on if I were you.
  • edited February 2014
    Hi Craig, why not update it every week?Or a couple of times a week.

If it helps you/ keeps you focussed definatly worth running with it,
  • edited February 2014
    Keep this going until you reach the £1,000 goal............I demand it!

I don't comment very often, but I look forward to and read every new entry. 90%+ of people who visit internet forums never ever post, they just read stuff and lurk in the background. Probably far more people read this than you realise.

There's no way you can quit when you're almost 75% of the way there and deprive us sharing that looming moment of glory when you cross the line.

Impressive results over the last few days. As always with these things progress will go two steps forward, one step back. You'll get there, it's now just a case of when, not if.

Sooner or later you'll start seeing results in £5.75 BHs too, the big prize pools in those offer the chance of more rapid growth.

Good luck!
  • edited February 2014
    Hi jim and Larson, thanks for your support. I probably will keep it up but not update every single day. It does help my discipline but I'm quite an emotional person and sometimes it really does get to me. I try my hardest and it can hurt when thinhgs go wrong. I can take a bad hit or beat but when it happens four or five times THATS when it gets hard! 

Gary, my admiration for your diaries had increased! It really is tougher than I expected as it can be very hard to keep going during "the one steps back"! Thanks very, very much for your words. As for the £5BH's, I really, really cant explain whats going on! Ive never ever had a run like this. Ive looked back and 90% of the time Ive got a decent stack in good (I hardly ever blind down), sometimes by quite a bit, only to come out the wrong end by the river. I've won and FT a lot of these in my time but its just not happening. I think the standard is worse than the £2 and £3BH's as you get so many light calls and actually have to have a hand to win pots so bluffing and getting people of the kind of range you know they have is hard. Yes, you can get paid of weaker holdings but thats not as often as you frequently have more than one person left at the river. I just hope it changes soon.

Day 101 and 102

Another bad day yesterday, mainly via cash as my BR took a big hit. I lost 3 big pots early in the day for nearly £35+ in total when firstly top two pair lost to a 3 outer on the river, top set lost to a gutshot (KK v A10 - the biggest pot) and my AA v 87s to SD that hit the river all in on the flop. 

I couldn't fade draws and my big hands never got paid. Anyone who can help me deal with these big cash swings please coment. I ran deep in two MTT's but again got beat out when allin ahead! I dont know if I have to change my game and get all in behind because being ahead really doesnt seem to count for much!

Today was better, two small £5 profits in cash from two small sessions. The biggest thing I need to sort out is stopping my losing sessions from being so big. I seem to win smallish with a few decent profits and then lose a few times but lose big. 

I played 3 MTT's, 2 paid for which I again ran deep but couldn't go on. I could have limped to a cash in both actually but thats not the way to play. I lost with QQ v a set of 4s (who never had the right price pre or stackwise) on a low draw heavy flop and couldn't win two races in another against two shorties. 

I did manage a min cash in the £2000FR, I was very nearly the bubble boy after losing a race 99 v AJ for a decent bubble stack and was left with half a BB. I managed to treble up on the hand for hand play with 66 v Q10o v AQo and that was enough. With a might 1 and half BB I went with my next hand and although live I busted out. But £7.60 is nice for free! Thats 2/3 I have cashed in and both times had a good shot at a decent run. 

My luck will surely hold one day or actually be with me.

I'm grateful to still be above £700 as its a nice psychological barrier. £800 is the next one!

BR £713.84     PP 1613
  • edited February 2014
    I had exactly the same £5.75 jinx during my 2012 BR challenge, £51 to £1,051.

In the £2.30s and £3.30s I was getting my fair share of wins, but for some reason I just couldn't get over the line at the £5.75 level. This included getting 2nd in the Saturday Mini BH despite having AKs v KJs all-in pre for the win during heads-up play.

I made over 30x £5.75 final tables before I managed to take one down, it was the final tournament of the entire challenge. Good things will always come eventually if you play better than your opponents and remain patient.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a72e349db-d24a-4bec-82a0-dbcc484375cf&plckFindPostKey=Cat:57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum:df77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion:72e349db-d24a-4bec-82a0-dbcc484375cfPost:f3f4a567-764e-4e32-8ed7-2bc929edc9ef
  • edited February 2014
    Hi, I'm another lurker who enjoys reading.  Keep going........
  • edited February 2014
    Hi Craig
    I still catch up from time to time too.
    Thought I'd post today after your AA done my KK. Couldn't respond in chat as the keyboard was playing up.
    So "nh" !!
    Keep up the good work.
    PS did you finish Breaking Bad ?
  • edited February 2014
    Keep it going Craig, you've got a good cash game, whenever I see you you seem to be doing well and I know I've donated a few quid to help you reach your target.

I drop in and look at your diary from time-to-time, its interesting to see how you're doing at different games and levels.  Oh and well done on stacking Clubhammer today, not something we see very often lol.
  • edited February 2014
    Firstly, a big thanks to everyone who left a comment recently. I havent had the best few weeks outside of poker and as I've said before, I am an emotional person and things can get to me more than they should. I try and use each time as a lesson and from doing this I have definatley seen some changes for the better. Doing this diary is also harder than I thought, I had a sticky patch early and then had a great run when I was playing consistenly well and my BR kept going up. Lately I've had a few setbacks, mainly through run bad although that then made me lose focus and make either light calls or chase away action trying to build big pots too quick.

As I've said, each is a lesson and making it public also helps to improve, if at times it is hard to write when your feeling down.

Thanks Glenelg.

Clubhammer, thanks. Yea, sorry about that. Had that been a day before you would have flpped a King! :) Just a cooler hand I've been on the wrong side of, just that instead of winning £4 at 4nl I lose £20 at 10nl! Thanks for your comments. As for BB. Yes, me and my partner flew through the last two seasons. Just amazing TV and what's unusual, it ended well! Just gutted the journey is over!

Hi lonesome, I see you often too. You always have a good game. Your welcome, can I stack you as well next time? :)

Day 103

A little cash session today. Got off to a bad start losing a £20 pot when my 3 bet with AK was called by UTG JJ who had just min bet/called. A good Axx flop saw me lead out and get called. A Jack on the turn only really had me concerned about KJ. With the pot at £5 he instantly jammed his last £5 a bare second after the turn. I couldn't do anything else but call and he had a set to leave me dead. Big sigh.

But, I stuck at it. One bad beat doesnt bother me, its only when they keep happening I get down. I stayed patient, I didnt get much and when I did I would miss or have to give up with decent holdings. I finally got a few good hands paid off, the best being a flopped straight against rivered trips for a decent pot. I dropped down a level for the last half hour and got another two good pots from some really bad play. One my AQs getting called down by 88 on a Q high flop and then stacks on on the Q river. Another a BB special, I had 23o and ready to fold but it got checked to me. A 223 flop saw me check and I was ready to flat a bet when a shortie went allin. I called, other folded and shortie showed AA. Its good to have luck (luck gifted I should say) but I would rather prefer this at 10nl! :)

Anyway, nudging up again.

BR £724.36   PP 1637

I will add though my comments on 4nl and 10nl. 4nl has a lot of weak players that make big mistakes but there are quite a few very capable players. 10nl has a big variety. Really weak, really good, really passive and really aggressive. A long with a lot inbetween. Finding out whose who takes time. There are more aggressive players but they do still make a lot of mistakes, its only there aggression that gets them by a lot by accumulating a lot of medium pots. Hence more variance at this level. 
  • edited February 2014
    Days 104 and 105

Played a bit of cash over the last couple of days, wasn't going along too well yesterday after a couple of cooler hands (AA v 1010 on a 10high flop. Ak v A3 on a Ax3 flop against a player that played EVERY hand and a few more). I did manage to claw it back and add a little profit thanks to JJ winning a big pot against a maniac who bluffed off. Was a tough decision, especially after an A on turn but he was very active and betting a lot with junk. Thankfully he still had junk at the end. Then JJ again for a smaller pot.

Managed another small profit today so we are gradually moving upwards again.

Played one MTT, got off to a good start but fizzled out when I couldn't hold in afew hands and then lost a race for an average stack on the river nearing the bubble.

BR £739.41    PP 1742
  • edited March 2014
    Days 106 - 114

Well, I have not updated this for quite a while. That is mainly due to me taking a breather and a step back. I got so embroiled in making a profit EVERY day that I let it affect my play and in turn my emotions. I had another big dip (about £50. It got to me as I had spent all week slowly gaining exactly that for it all to go in one night!) and realised I had to step back and take a look at what I had been doing, how I had been doing it and reflecting on where I am now.

I made a conscious effort to forget my BR and just PLAY MY GAME! Forget about what everyone thinks you should do and play my own game. Yes its not the best but I have developed a method over the years and it obviously works and I constantly improve as well. 

My point of view is for professionals it is VERY important that every aspect of their game is looked at, developed, improved, scrutinised etc because they need the edge to make a level at the top. You have to adapt your play for the levels your on and find a way to beat it. So for the small stakes/recreational players some things are just not as important. What is important is enjoying what you do and aiming for goals you can achieve. Like my mate tries to make £5 last as long as possible to me and others trying to build a BR slowly.

On reflection I am very happy with where I am now, I need to chill and relax. This I have done and thankfully to some success. I have played a lot of cash, going steady with one big dip but I quickly got that back and moved on again. I'm playing more relaxed, just trying to play hands well and from there seeing what happens.

I have also played a few MTT's, had a few deep runs and to be fair I've played ok but not had the luck when it matters. Im ok with that as Ive only gone out in one MTT through a mistake.

So, I am at my highest balance but that has now become secondary to my goals which it should have been from the start! I'm starting to enjoy it again instead of thinking it of a bit of a grind. My goal at the moment is to gain 3000 PP for the first time. I'm doing ok so far and with double rewards due for four days next week I'm hoping to get there this time. Ive attempted it twice before but not made it. Third times the charm as they say!

BR £798.10
  • edited March 2014
    Well put Craig. Relax!

I know you have seen the big swings in my diary and we have played together. Its tough losing at times but I must have lost 3+ buyins more than 10 times from 55 sessions now! Standard innit? So long as your bankroll isnt seriously dented then just play for fun and take your wins as a bonus. 

Your BR gives you a lot of options if you get sick of a cash session, and you could even withdraw and buy yourself something cool and unneccessary, while still being well rolled for the levels you are familiar with.

• edited March 2014
    Hey Craig, definatly go for 3000 poker points, or even 5000 for £100, about 1250 a week for £100.

Poker will always have it's ups and downs, the times we just can't miss and times when we hit everything.

It's hard dealing with the downswings. You are doing really well and will be at 1k in no time at all.

Also 100% we should be enjoying it. I was the same, just playing to make x amount of money and losing site of why i started playing in the 1st place.

Good luck and run good! 
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Craig I've been following this diary since the start, Congrats on your progress. i have set my goal this month for 3000 reard pts but am struggling to keep to my schedule have fallen away a bit. Can i ask you how many tables of 5 / 10 you are playing and how many hrs a day are you playing so you reach this goal.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: HOLIDAY CHALLENGE £127.. TO (£1000 THE GOAL) CURRENT BR £798.10:
    Hi Craig I've been following this diary since the start, Congrats on your progress. i have set my goal this month for 3000 reard pts but am struggling to keep to my schedule have fallen away a bit. Can i ask you how many tables of 5 / 10 you are playing and how many hrs a day are you playing so you reach this goal.
    Posted by spinky6108
    Thanks for your words Jim and Larson, much appreciated. I dont think I can get much more than 3000 points with my volume but as I improve I will up my goals.

Spinky, again. Thanks. Every contribution is much appreciated and always leaves a smile. As for your question, I play four tables usually, maybe adding a fifth every once in a while but four is optimal for me as I can keep up with my hands AND just as important, watching how others are playing - noticing what hands are being shown down and even going onto histories and watching how the streets where played. When playing more this becomes harder and you end up playing robotically and missing spots where you are bluffed or can bluff/thin value bet.

As for time I play as much as I can but only as long as I feel that I can play my best. Sometimes I found trying to squeeze in a thirty min session can end up being costly as your trying to play more hands due to time constraints.

My advice to you (and is what i'm going to do)is dont get fixated on your points tally. Just concentrate on playing the same tables you always do and play for as long as you can play well. If I get tired or find im tilting/playing bad I will try and end the session (easily said than done but you have to try). Then re-evaluate a week or so until the end of the month and see if you are either on target or you need to fit an extra session or two. That way you can plan ahead and not feel like you have to play. If you cant do it then just try again the next month. The key to all this is not losing money trying to gain a goal. No point spending £50 trying to get to a £45 target!

Good luck! Keep me informed please. :)
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: HOLIDAY CHALLENGE £127.. TO (£1000 THE GOAL) CURRENT BR £798.10:
    In Response to Re: HOLIDAY CHALLENGE £127.. TO (£1000 THE GOAL) CURRENT BR £798.10 : Thanks for your words Jim and Larson, much appreciated. I dont think I can get much more than 3000 points with my volume but as I improve I will up my goals. Spinky, again. Thanks. Every contribution is much appreciated and always leaves a smile. As for your question, I play four tables usually, maybe adding a fifth every once in a while but four is optimal for me as I can keep up with my hands AND just as important, watching how others are playing - noticing what hands are being shown down and even going onto histories and watching how the streets where played. When playing more this becomes harder and you end up playing robotically and missing spots where you are bluffed or can bluff/thin value bet. As for time I play as much as I can but only as long as I feel that I can play my best. Sometimes I found trying to squeeze in a thirty min session can end up being costly as your trying to play more hands due to time constraints. My advice to you (and is what i'm going to do)is dont get fixated on your points tally. Just concentrate on playing the same tables you always do and play for as long as you can play well. If I get tired or find im tilting/playing bad I will try and end the session (easily said than done but you have to try). Then re-evaluate a week or so until the end of the month and see if you are either on target or you need to fit an extra session or two. That way you can plan ahead and not feel like you have to play. If you cant do it then just try again the next month. The key to all this is not losing money trying to gain a goal. No point spending £50 trying to get to a £45 target! Good luck! Keep me informed please. :)
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Hi Craig
    I also play 4 tables most of the time i don,t think it will be posible for me to reach 3000 pts at my level and the volume i am putting in i am currantly on 585 pts after 8 days which is 215 pts below my target of 100 a day. So i am going to take your advice and just see how it goes for the next week then re asess at the end of week 2.
    I am also dissapointed that despite putting in more volume than ever before i am not on the Bronze leaderboard. 
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: HOLIDAY CHALLENGE £127.. TO (£1000 THE GOAL) CURRENT BR £798.10 : Hi Craig I also play 4 tables most of the time i don,t think it will be posible for me to reach 3000 pts at my level and the volume i am putting in i am currantly on 585 pts after 8 days which is 215 pts below my target of 100 a day. So i am going to take your advice and just see how it goes for the next week then re asess at the end of week 2. I am also dissapointed that despite putting in more volume than ever before i am not on the Bronze leaderboard. 
    Posted by spinky6108
    Dont give up just yet - next week (tue - firiday) is double points so a great oppertunity to get a great points boost. As for the leaderboard I think it pays upto 150 places but they only show top 100 so, again, dont give up.  Good luck.
  • edited March 2014
    Days 105 - 111

So, my monthly cash grind continues. I have set myself goals based by the month, and this month I was going to concentrate on cash for a few reasons. 1/ To reach 3000 PP for the first time 2/ To compete in the leaderboard promo and 3/ To improve as a cash player.

So far I am very pleased with my progress. 1/ I am well on course, currently on 1900 exactly with a whole 15 days left. 2/ I am garenteed £10, I could probably have snuck £25 but that would have took a bigger effort during the 4 day double points that I just couldn't do. A couple fo nights I started getting tired and did the right thing and quit while I was still playing well and 3/ I definatly think I have got a lot better in just these two weeks alone. I am slowly getting more aggressive in better spots and not calling off when I know I probably behind even if I have a strong hand (although as luck would have it I folded KK pre and was correct only to see a K high flop when 1010 v AA got it in. 1010 hit a set too! Frustrating, but good to see my read was correct). 

I've pretty much played well and have made a good profit, even though I have run -£120 ev on my sessions. 

Tournament wise, I have only played a £2BH each night I have played on the side, more as a bit of fun. I've again played well but not had the run. I did make a FT tonight but went out in horrible fashion. After coming in 6/6 I got a nice double with JJ v AQ and that took me to 4/6. A few hands later im in the BB with 65s and with two limpers we go to a flop. I flop great with a flopped flush AND an up and down str FD. First player goes allin, I go allin, next player goes allin!! So for a huge, huge chip lead dominating pot im miles ahead against JJ and two pair (85o). Just as I start thinking all I have to do is dodge an 8 or 5, a 5 hits the turn and a blank river!

Gutted!! I'm more than certain with a 4 - 1 chip lead on the remaining players I would have 2nd locked up and a good bet for first. Instead, Im out in joint 4th! Sigh!

Anyway, barriing any other cash related promo I may have a slight chance at next month's targets will be tournament based. I am not far off my target now and with a £45+ bonus almost locked up and probably £20 from this current promo all I need is a little bit more and I could even finsih this in a few weeks. No pressure, if I suffer a hit then thats life. I still have a few months to go!

BR £843.88
  • edited March 2014
    Days 112 and 113

Exciting times ahead! I am tantalising close to my target after a really good two days. Sunday went really well, finishing 5 buyins up. Another two buyin session today and a 4th in a £2BH has propelled me to within £60.88 of my goal.

After a plateau of late for a month earlier, I re-evaluated how I was approaching my poker. This has done wonders as I again have the freedom and belief to go forward. The two or so weeks has since seen another surge in my BR and more importantly enjoyment.

I have more faith in my game now that I am just concentrating on playing my way and not worrying if I finish down or up as long as I'm playing well. Obviously if I was consistently losing I would be worried but I know that I am a winning player at this level and will have more ups than down!

BR £939.12
  • edited March 2014
    Days 114 - 120

Things have gone OK recently, had a lot of small ups and one big down (last night) and a couple of BH final tables (was really unlucky to finish 2nd in one after being ahead twice in allins - once AK v my KK and my K high against his Q high with me ahead in chips) and that has took my BR up to £975.70. If it was not down to 7/8 horrendoues 2/3 outers on the river when I had the money in on the turn I would probably have smashed my challange by about £50-70 by now. Really cruel. 

But, I'm almost there and could actually not play until my PP are awarded as I have over £26 in PP's to come! So, technically I'm already there! :) 

So amazed to have made £300 so far in 23 days just by playing 95% cash at 10nl. And I have to confess I have not run as well as I could have. Thats poker I know, but I wonder what a month of running well would be like? :)

So, at any moment and in any pot I could bink my challange but just as easily could falter away from it. But i'm clear in my head again and know its now just a matter of days and if I do dip I know I will go on.

BR £975.70
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: HOLIDAY CHALLENGE £127.. TO (£1000 THE GOAL) CURRENT BR £939.12:
    Days 114 - 120 Things have gone OK recently, had a lot of small ups and one big down (last night) and a couple of BH final tables (was really unlucky to finish 2nd in one after being ahead twice in allins - once AK v my KK and my K high against his Q high with me ahead in chips) and that has took my BR up to £975.70. If it was not down to 7/8 horrendoues 2/3 outers on the river when I had the money in on the turn I would probably have smashed my challange by about £50-70 by now. Really cruel.  But, I'm almost there and could actually not play until my PP are awarded as I have over £26 in PP's to come! So, technically I'm already there! :)  So amazed to have made £300 so far in 23 days just by playing 95% cash at 10nl. And I have to confess I have not run as well as I could have. Thats poker I know, but I wonder what a month of running well would be like? :) So, at any moment and in any pot I could bink my challange but just as easily could falter away from it. But i'm clear in my head again and know its now just a matter of days and if I do dip I know I will go on. BR £975.70
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Excellant results Craig Well done