You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2014 Leaderboard...

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
this sounds fun!

Would it be a combined league table for finishes in main and mini or two separate tables?

Comments

• edited December 2013
    On the show thread from December 8th Diminuendo mentioned the idea of a challenge in which players attempt to win a Main Event on each of the seven nights, to see if it could be done in one year.

A few posts later POKEY2011 suggested the idea of a leaderboard for next year, taking into account placings in both the Main and Mini events each night.

To save you scrolling through the thread, here's the important bit:

Main Event / Mini Event 20:00 / 20:30 each and every night

1st place = 50 points
    2nd place = 25 points
    3rd place = 15 points
    4th place = 10 points 
    5th place = 7 points
    6th place = 5 points
    7th place = 4 points
    8th place = 3 points
    9th place = 2 points
    10th place = 1 point

I haven't spoken to POKEY2011 about this idea - so I don't know if he is still in a position to organise it - but it seems to me to be workable, and it would be a lot of fun. Are there any thoughts out there on this - is this worth pursuing? Would Sky be able to implement this as a trackable thing? Is this actually a good idea, or do I still need a bit more sleep?

Obviously, with only fifteen days left in the 2013 calendar, if it was going to happen, it would need to be fairly soon, so....
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: 2014 Leaderboard...:
    Would it be a combined league table for finishes in main and mini or two separate tables?
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I guess that is one of the things up for discussion :)

I quite like the idea of a separate one for each, along with a combined one taking account of both.
  • edited December 2013
    I'd definitely be in favour of two separate tables.

I'm not rolled for the mains and therefore don't play too many of them but regularly play mini's (badly). I'm sure there's plenty out there in the same boat.

I do really like the idea though!
  • edited December 2013
    Great idea, I do think 2 seperate leagues is good just so people of all BRs have a chance, plus then you got the sciko challenge of trying to top them both ;)

Slip, you can just nab the ME and mini results off GaryQQQ's thread each morning/afternoon/night/whatever so would be easy to get the info. Alot of work though for whoever does it, it's a 365 day commitment.
  • edited December 2013
    I think its a great idea, i think someone will have to come up with a better formula for results as winning a 1000 player tournament deserves higher reward than a 400 play tournament etc and also winning a month roller should hold more credit than maybe an 11 tuesday turbo...... 

But as an idea i think its good and will definitely bring more people to the forum at least
  • edited December 2013
    I think its a great idea, i think someone will have to come up with a better formula for results as winning a 1000 player tournament deserves higher reward than a 400 play tournament etc and also winning a month roller should hold more credit than maybe an 11 tuesday turbo......  But as an idea i think its good and will definitely bring more people to the forum at least
    Posted by jordz16

The tuesday turbo gets more runners than the roller so you cant have it both ways without some runners vs buyin equation which is too complicated. ( unless you just did money won)
    I dont think winning any main event is much harder or easier than any other so I would leave it as suggested.
  • edited December 2013
    I understand what you are saying. but finishing say 11th, in the turbo tuesday is a lot harder than finishing 10th in one of the smaller fields, so maybe on the bigger fields the point structure should be lengthened, and on the smaller ones make sure they are more top heavy, and then with the big rollers, maybe double the points you receive as its a lot more prestigous 
  • edited December 2013
    Just had a look at two random consecutive weeks in November just to see numbers in mains/minis and thought might be useful when deciding things:

Main                Mini
    Mon           378 & 364        517 & 547
    Tue            524 & 552        515 & 596
    Wed           273 & 296        221 & 227
    Thurs         451 & 434        637 & 581
    Fri              367 & 316        581 & 543
    sat             351 & 360        567 & 582
    Sun            299 & 280        436 & 447

Based on those numbers I think it'd difficult to weight points based on field size.
  • edited December 2013
    maybe doing points for anyone who finishes in the money would be easier with rising points for top 10? would be good to see who gets the most cashes in a year, and most final tables etc. 
  • edited December 2013
    Great idea!

Not sure about that points system though, 50 points for 1st and only 10 points for 4th? Seems like too much of a gap considering the hard part is just getting to the final table. I would suggest the F1 scoring system instead:

25 / 18 / 15 / 12 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 4 / 2 / 1
  • edited December 2013
    Firstly, great idea. Two leader boards is the way to go though. And as Sky is a six max site should it not be top 12 gain points? Also, the points system needs to reflect a bit better on how far you get such as;

1 - 50
    2 - 25
    3 - 15
    4 - 12
    5 - 10
    6 - 8
    7 - 6
    8 - 5
    9 - 4
    10 - 3
    11 - 2
    12 - 1
  • edited December 2013
    The hardest part is winning, there should be a sizeable difference between 4th and 1st. You can ladder a FT to 4th, you can't ladder to 1st, you gotta play.
  • edited December 2013
    The hardest part is winning, there should be a sizeable difference between 4th and 1st. You can ladder a FT to 4th, you can't ladder to 1st, you gotta play.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Which I think my points structure addresses. 
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: 2014 Leaderboard... : Which I think my points structure addresses. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Yeah deffo, sorry my reply was to Peter's post. I don't think it should be 25, 18, .... cos I believe there should be a big difference for winning it (like yours and OP)
  • edited December 2013
    good idea
    points structure in o.p is good
    don't vary for number of runners that'd just get too complicated - keep it simple
  • edited December 2013
    good idea points structure in o.p is good don't vary for number of runners that'd just get too complicated - keep it simple
    Posted by SoLack
    +1.

Roll on 2014.
  • edited December 2013
    Would tempt me to play more mtts
  • edited December 2013

This must be a goer for 2014, perhaps Monthly prizes donated by SKY and prizes for the top 3 over the year.
    An excellent idea and unique selling point for a recreational player based poker site.

Have a word with the suits Tikay.

• edited December 2013
    Seems a good idea,

The original concept seems to be encouraging players to get as high a possible result in each of the nights mains.

So just checking...

Is it only your best result on a given night of the week that counts?

e.g LuckSoandSo binks a 1st one Monday and gets 50 points

Mrconsistent comes 4th every Monday for a year - do they get 10 points or 520 points?

From OP I assumed max possible points is 350 (7*50) and to get that you would have to win each different event at least once in the course of the year?
  • edited December 2013
    Nah max points would be 18,250 (365*50).... gl with that lol. The league table would be points based every single day from my understanding which is by far the best way  to see who performs best in the long term and not just who gets lucky once and binks a ME.
  • edited December 2013
    Yeah, the best way would be to make it a points-based league system (either over a year or perhaps even a quarter). Like I said in the original post, it was not my idea, but as it was hidden away in one of the show threads, I thought I'd bring it out so it could be discussed with the object of seeing if the big boys could implement it in some way.
  • edited December 2013
    Nah max points would be 18,250 (365*50).... gl with that lol. The league table would be points based every single day from my understanding which is by far the best way  to see who performs best in the long term and not just who gets lucky once and binks a ME.
    Posted by Lambert180
    In that case it will be restricted to the high roll regulars to have a chance - which would limit appeal.

Capping at 350 would at least give recs a chance to build up a score over the course of a year?

Maybe best would be to have 12x monthly prizes with an overall prize for the whole year (ie each monthly max is 350 if you cap at highest score per night or 1500 for a 30 day month).

If I binked a 1st early in a month (it would be a mini with my BR) it would certainly encourage me to play in more events and select different nights over the rest of the month.

• edited December 2013
    I think it has to be over the whole year every day to get the best results. It shouldn't be too restrictive if there's two seperate tables, some people might not compete in the ME one, but most can compete in the Mini one. It's not like you'll have to play 365 days of the year, I don't think there's many if any players on the whole site that play every single ME and mini.

If you cap it at like 350 I think you'd get more than 1 person over the course of the year that get max points and you wouldn't even get a true winner.
  • edited December 2013
    ...as much as it pains me, I kind of agree with Lambert on this one ;)
  • edited December 2013
    i am comfortably numb
    no pain whatsoever
    unless you go for your proposed table
    which will be oodles of work
    and reward volume over results

instead focus on FT only 1pt for 6th, 2 for 5th etc, plus a bonus point for winning
    and only count each persons best score for each weekday
    and if you have won the mtt on every weekday have another bonus point
    so best result is 50pts

do this for main only, mini only, and combined score - max = 100pts

• edited December 2013
    Like the idea.  Not sure the points system should be sooooo top heavy.

Seems pretty harsh for one guy to finish 10th in 49 ME's and still be behind a guy who luckboxed one...
  • edited December 2013
    Really nice idea this, Slipwater. Let me have a word with the management and we'll see what we can do to support this.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • edited December 2013
    Cheers Dave...

...I knew I should've said it was my idea.
  • edited December 2013
    My feeling is that all people that cash should be awarded points. With the current structure, someone could finish 11th every day and still have less points than someone who came 10th once.

something like this - although I think this one is aimed at larger fields (copied it from another site's leaderbards):
    PlacePoints
    Tournament Champion100
    2nd Place80
    3rd Place70
    4th Place60
    5th Place55
    6th Place50
    7th - 12th Place35
    13th - 18th Place30
    Remaining Cashers - Top 10%25
    Remaining Cashers - 2nd 10%20
    Remaining Cashers - 3rd 20%15
    Remaining Cashers - 4th 20%10
    Remaining Cashers - Bottom 40%5
    No Points Awarded in Non-Cashing Place

would also be good to get one going for UKOPS?!

one more thing: to solve the problem of people not being able to/not wanting to play every day, you could say that your 10 best results count every month or something similar. 3 best every week maybe.

overall, i love this idea. I would like to see it broken down into: mains, minis, monthly, yearly and  then for each UKOPS. could be quite alot of work though, unless Sky can automate something
  • edited December 2013
    My feeling is that all people that cash should be awarded points. With the current structure, someone could finish 11th every day and still have less points than someone who came 10th once. something like this - although I think this one is aimed at larger fields (copied it from another site's leaderbards): Place Points Tournament Champion 100 2nd Place 80 3rd Place 70 4th Place 60 5th Place 55 6th Place 50 7th - 12th Place 35 13th - 18th Place 30 Remaining Cashers - Top 10% 25 Remaining Cashers - 2nd 10% 20 Remaining Cashers - 3rd 20% 15 Remaining Cashers - 4th 20% 10 Remaining Cashers - Bottom 40% 5 No Points Awarded in Non-Cashing Place would also be good to get one going for UKOPS?! one more thing: to solve the problem of people not being able to/not wanting to play every day, you could say that your 10 best results count every month or something similar. 3 best every week maybe. overall, i love this idea. I would like to see it broken down into: mains, minis, monthly, yearly and  then for each UKOPS. could be quite alot of work though, unless Sky can automate something
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Give me a sec....just gonna see if i can channel Alan Turing through this ouija board app i got on my phone to sort this out.........mmm,that's a blow.All i'm getting is Alan Titchmarsh and he knows f..k all about poker but did say keep an eye on your hardy perennials during this bout of bad weather!