You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2014 Leaderboard...

Comments

• edited December 2013

I have to admit that i really do like the sound of having a year long leaderboard to showcase the regular strong tournament players. Even with this one it would allow occasional players the chance to shine and be ranked above the bigger names. Would make for very interesting viewing. Hopefully if some prizes can be thrown in for the deserving few even better.

Now my opinion on this is about as unbiased as it comes because i am pretty certain that my points tally in the events for the entire year will both be at zero. but i will still check it out regularly to see what is happening.

Hopefully the right points structure can be agreed on and it implemented in about a fortnight
  • edited December 2013
    Great idea...& Great debate lads!!!

...I like SoLack's Lambo's & Slipwaters points as well as others!

Having helped Run Leagues, ....normally Simple is best!

Remember Many players here may only play Once/Twice a week Mains, & may miss a month or week here & there!!

I wonder if someone with Time could consider doing this over a Whole Year for Mondays DTD1,2,3!!!
    .....as lots regular forum posters play those always!! sry to change track!

PS sry 2014 am too busy, pmsl!!

GL, Great Thread Brian!
  • edited December 2013

Some interesting ideas, keep them coming.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: 2014 Leaderboard...:
    Great idea...& Great debate lads!!! ...I like SoLack's Lambo's & Slipwaters points as well as others! Having helped Run Leagues, ....normally Simple is best! Remember Many players here may only play Once/Twice a week Mains, & may miss a month or week here & there!! I wonder if someone with Time could consider doing this over a Whole Year for Mondays DTD1,2,3!!! .....as lots regular forum posters play those always!! sry to change track! PS sry 2014 am too busy, pmsl!! GL, Great Thread Brian!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Sorry 2014 also lol #busto ha
  • edited December 2013
    Loving this idea... and I think keeping it simple is the way to go.
    I've played pub leagues for about five years and points structures are made so solid players finishing 2nd , 3rd and 4th regularly can win the league against someone who wins 2 games out the season, because the gap in the points is n't massive but enough for incentive to win.
    Having a year long league you v'e got to keep everyone interested by having a chance to accumulate points but not by winning all the time.

Example    Final Table  
    1st. 50 
                                    2nd. 30
                                    3rd. 25
                                    4th. 20
                                    5th. 15
                                    6th. 10
    and everyone else who cashes gets 5 points.

If this was to get started I would probably just stick to sky poker for 2014!

• edited December 2013
    The hardest part is winning, there should be a sizeable difference between 4th and 1st. You can ladder a FT to 4th, you can't ladder to 1st, you gotta play.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hmmm, you know poker much better than I do, but I would have thought that if the scoring system was F1 style:

25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1

Then the difference between 1st and 4th would be more than enough? 13 points is a big difference when the top "prize" is only 25? Almost 50% less for 4th.
  • edited December 2013
    only two scoring systems we should be considering

1. linear (with a bonus for the win) - doesn't let one bink overwhelm several deep runs
    2. pot percentage - just score based on the % of the pot won - if this is a good way to reward the players in the mtt, it should be good to appraise their multi tournament play

every other suggestion is just some b*st*rd hybrid between the two for people who don't have a spreadsheet

which to choose all depends whether we want to be rewarding the best cashers or the most consistent runners
  • edited December 2013
    Just give it (whatever it is) to MattBates.

GG MB.
  • edited December 2013
    Just give it (whatever it is) to MattBates. GG MB.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Tommy might not be happy!

• edited December 2013
    Matt Bates likes this.
  • edited December 2013
    Chicknmelt to be biggest mtt winner on sky nx year nx thinks gl all
  • edited December 2013
    Just give it (whatever it is) to MattBates. GG MB.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

• edited December 2013
    Chicknmelt to be biggest mtt winner on sky nx year nx thinks gl all
    Posted by macapaca

• edited December 2013
    Wow getting serious the Gauntlet has been thrown down who will pick it up? Would be good if Sky Bet could run a book on the top 5/6 finishers if some table system is put in place.
  • edited December 2013
    It seems as though everyone is behind this, which is great.

What about a points based league from January to November (as discussed), with the top six at that time playing a sit and go in December for bragging rights?
  • edited December 2013
    It seems as though everyone is behind this, which is great. What about a points based league from January to November (as discussed), with the top six at that time playing a sit and go in December for bragging rights?
    Posted by Slipwater
    probably best to run the points for the whole year - keep it pure

but in jan we could have a tv sng "battle of the champions" for the top 6 as a way to kick start the New Year!
  • edited December 2013
    Hey all,

OK, we've got some prizes sorted for the players who are top of the leaderboard at the end of January. We're still discussing the Annual prizes (TBC) because it sort of coincides with something the team here are working on. That's still all very 'on the drawing board' though, so shhhh etc. 

Prizes for the Jan Leaderboard winners:

*  1st - £110 MTT Seat
    *  2nd - £55 MTT Seat
    *  3rd - £33 MTT Seat
    *  4th - £33 MTT Seat
    *  5th - £11 MTT Seat
    *  6th - £11 MTT Seat

Slipwater - can you message me at the end of Jan to let me know who the six winners are and then those six would need to PM me to say which tourney they want to play.

Sound good?
  • edited December 2013
    Oh, and you'd need to make sure the way the points are scored and the leaderboard updates are run by you lovely folk. Hope that's okay :)
  • edited December 2013
    Woah!

Is this thing going ahead then?? :)
  • edited December 2013
    Looks like it... and looks like you've been given the mammoth task of managing it, enjoy :) lol.

In all seriousness though, gimme a shout if you wanna take a day off from doing the points occasionally or want help making a spreadsheet to easily auto update scores

Great stuff btw Sky/Dave.

So you deffo need to get a confirmed points scoring method Slip! Maybe do a new thread with a poll and just give 2-3 different options... too much choice will just be chaos.

Personally I think everyone that cashes should get some kind of score but a mincash should not even be close to a FT or win. Like 5 points is way too much for a mincash if 6th place is only 10 points cos 2 x mincashes is a million times easier than 1 FT imo.

I'd say something similar to what some have suggested....

1st = 50
    2nd = 30
    3rd = 25
    4th = 20
    5th = 15
    6th = 10

FT bubble boy maybe gets 8... everyone else gets just 1 point? I think that's fair
  • edited December 2013
    Looks like it... and looks like you've been given the mammoth task of managing it, enjoy :) lol. In all seriousness though, gimme a shout if you wanna take a day off from doing the points occasionally or want help making a spreadsheet to easily auto update scores Great stuff btw Sky/Dave. So you deffo need to get a confirmed points scoring method Slip! Maybe do a new thread with a poll and just give 2-3 different options... too much choice will just be chaos. Personally I think everyone that cashes should get some kind of score but a mincash should not even be close to a FT or win. Like 5 points is way too much for a mincash if 6th place is only 10 points cos 2 x mincashes is a million times easier than 1 FT imo. I'd say something similar to what some have suggested.... 1st = 50 2nd = 30 3rd = 25 4th = 20 5th = 15 6th = 10 FT bubble boy maybe gets 8... everyone else gets just 1 point? I think that's fair
    Posted by Lambert180
    the person that comes 8th gets the same points as the person that came 57th and just scraped a cash?? doesn't sound that fair to me...

stars have obv put alot of thought into their leaderboards and have been running them successfully for ages... so why dont we borrow their structure, or use a simplified version of it...

Tournament Champion100
    2nd Place80
    3rd Place70
    4th Place60
    5th Place55
    6th Place50
    7th - 12th Place35
    13th - 18th Place30
    Remaining Cashers - Top 10%25
    Remaining Cashers - 2nd 10%20
    Remaining Cashers - 3rd 20%15
    Remaining Cashers - 4th 20%10
    Remaining Cashers - Bottom 40%5
    No Points Awarded in Non-Cashing Place
  • edited December 2013
    I would do something like...

Tournament Champion100
    2nd Place80
    3rd Place70
    4th Place60
    5th Place55
    6th Place50

Remaining Cashers - Top 10%35
    Remaining Cashers - 2nd 10%25
    Remaining Cashers - 3rd 20%15
    Remaining Cashers - 4th 20%10
    Remaining Cashers - Bottom 40%5
  • edited December 2013
    Maybe stretch it out so like 7th - 10th get more than a mincash then but otherwise I don't see a huge problem, You should be getting rewarded for really deep runs not just serial min cashing. We'll all mincash sometimes but the fact it's over a whole year evens things out, and the people that get the bigger points will be the people that make proper deep runs and not just do lots of laddering which surely is what it should be.

The thing above from stars looks good but it's gonna be a real pain for the person running it have to work out the top 10% of cashes, 2nd 10% of cashes etc etc for the main and the mini every single night.

It might not be quite as perfect/accurate but it's WAY simpler. With a structure like above the person doing it can just go 'right these top 10 people get X points... everyone else get's 1 point' (or whatever). Rather than doing lots of calcs. Once a few weeks have passed, you'll probably have a list of most people that are ever gonna cash in a main/mini in the spreadsheet and can easy just whack a 1 next to 40 names.
  • edited December 2013
    Winner 1
    Rest 0

It's all about the Ws baby.
  • edited December 2013
    Just out of interest cos the wording is a bit dodgy (to me anyway), how exactly does that work out in practice over say a 500 runner field? Assume exactly 10% are paid so 50.

1st - 6th as per the table.

Remaining cashes top 10% - does that mean the top 10% outside of top 6? So taking away the 6 we have 44 people left and so 4 people are in the top 10% of remaining cashes (which would be 7th - 10th) ? 10% is technicaly 4.4 people, so would 11th go in the top 10% or the next one down?

• edited December 2013
    Winner 1 Rest 0 It's all about the Ws baby.
    Posted by TommyD
    Looks like Tommy's opinions are hereby excluded from further discussion :)
  • edited December 2013
    Instead of using percentages of the field you can use the payout structure.
    As in first to tenth then just follow the cash ladder. So everyone who finishes on the same cash gets the same points.
  • edited December 2013
    FWIW, I would suggest keeping the points scoring simple. While I don't doubt the love and care Stars might have put in their scheme, it might involve getting a calculator out for some. Down to you folks to agree on, but I'd personally something like the OP's recommendations.

• edited December 2013
    if we want a graduated scoring system for all cashers why don't we just use cash won as % on 1st prize
    so winner gets 100
    and everyone else their fair share
    easier to implement
    and no-one can complain that it is biased in favour of anyone

not only is it better than ***'s version
    it's our version

• edited December 2013

Due to the work involved in allocating points/updating tables are we just doing a combined (main + Mini) table now? or is it separate tables for main, mini and a combined?

If it is separate tables - are the prizes just going to the combined table high finishers?