You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My Diary

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat
Hello everybody.

I may as well start off by introducing myself to make my diary a bit more human than numbers on a results thread

I'm Shaun. 32. I live in Bradford in Yorkshire (somebody has to). I have been playing poker for about 3/4 years now. I would describe myself as a massive poker enthusiast. I LOVE the game and one of the reasons I play sky is for the forum/community aspect as non of my friends are remotely into poker.

I play live when I can, although not as much as I like. I have had a few nice scores, my best was a 2nd place finish in a 300 strong field for 2k. I usually end up in profit playing live cash (not from my skill, just terrible players lol). Although online my game is up and down.

On Sky Poker I have played for a few years on and off but I am now looking to take my game more seriously and get involved in the Sky Poker community.

My reasons for doing this diary are motivational, to feel like I have people watching my progress. Which will not only spur me on but help me realize where I've made mistakes. To gain advice from any situations/hands I post to hopefully improve my game. And finally so I can keep record of my winning/losses and properly manage my bankroll.

I usually play through the day from 10am to 2pm and on an evening when I can. I will be looking to mostly play MTT's as I enjoy these more than cash, and my goal is to be a serial casher in the MTT's I play. I will be managing my bankroll so playing £3-£11 mostly but I do like the odd main event.

As of today I have just deposited £400 and my first goals is to turn this into 1k. In 15mins i'll be playing the £5.75 £300gtd Bounty hunter. So thanks for reading and here we go................

Comments

• edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    Gl with this and run golden :)
  • edited January 2014
    Cheers guys.

Busted 23/73 in the bh. Took 2 bounties to rduce the £5.75 buy in to £1.99.

After building a nice stack I lost a couple of pots to take me 4000.

Exit hand- blinds 75/150. (28bb stack) I was bb (KQclubs). utg raise to 450 from a loose player. The big stack on button just flats the raise. Wasn't feeling too good about folding that hand but wasn't feeling too good about flatting and playing OOP. Sensed weakness from the button just calling the raise. Wasn't too concerned that the utg was super strong judging from previous play. So decided to squeeze and jam. Was getting 900 from pot +150 my bb for risking my 4000 stack but had fold equity. utg folds(so at least my read was good)...... button calls with AQ spades. And that's all she wrote......

Fold? Call? 3bet lighter?

-£1.99
  • edited January 2014

Good luck Shaun

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to My Diary:
    my goal is to be a serial casher in the MTT's I play.
    Good luck. 

Aiming to be a serial casher in MTTs is an unwise strategy in my opinion.

All the money is at the top. You should aim to be an occasional winner, even if that means you cash less often. It will make you much more money over time.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: My Diary:
    In Response to My Diary : Good luck.  Aiming to be a serial casher in MTTs is an unwise strategy in my opinion. All the money is at the top. You should aim to be an occasional winner, even if that means you cash less often. It will make you much more money over time.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Worded that badly. Obviously playing to win too (doh!)

Yeah I agree. Although if you have a nice run in a bounty hunter even a min cash can generate some nice profit if you've taken some heads.
  • edited January 2014
    Just busted 4th in that tourney Shaun. It is a pretty big squeeze at 28bb, but in these low stake BH's you can get called very light (I know first hand from today!). Don't hate the play, but equally think we are still just about deep enough to peel and see a flop.

Gl for this and at the tables sir.
  • edited January 2014
    Just busted 4th in that tourney Shaun. It is a pretty big squeeze at 28bb, but in these low stake BH's you can get called very light (I know first hand from today!). Don't hate the play, but equally think we are still just about deep enough to peel and see a flop. Gl for this and at the tables sir.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yeah on reflection I agree. Either peel or fold. I had time to wait for a better spot. KQ suited is only KQ in reality.

Oh well. I will be in the 10:45am bh and 11:30 bh tomorrow.

Well done on the 4th place finish :)
  • edited January 2014
    busted the 10:45am bounty hunter.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    jimHFX Small blind  15.00 15.00 2165.00
    xxx Big blind  30.00 45.00 3522.50
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

pincsfiona Call  30.00 75.00 2512.50
    evo4129 Fold     
    ShaunyT Raise  120.00 195.00 1340.00
    bb017211 Fold     
    jimHFX Fold     
    xxx Call  90.00 285.00 3432.50
    pincsfiona Call  90.00 375.00 2422.50
    Flop

• J
    • K

xxx Bet  375.00 750.00 3057.50
    pincsfiona Fold     
    ShaunyT All-in  1340.00 2090.00 0.00
    xxx Call  965.00 3055.00 2092.50
    xxx Show
    • Q
    • A

ShaunyT Show
    • K
    • K

Turn

River

xxx Win Flush to the Ace 3055.00

Did I overplay my top set? Maybe. But if I had called the post flop bet and folded the turn I would have had just under 1000chips left. Which people will call off with junk against me. Every time somebody calls me with a flush draw they get there.

-£3.30  BR £394.71
  • edited January 2014
    busted the 10:45am bounty hunter. I tried to post the hand, but failed. Started the hand with 1400 chips. Raised my KK in position. Got 2 callers from the blinds 15/30. Flop 7h Jd Kd. Small blind bets out 375 into 360 pot. bb folds. I didn't feel I had the option to just call and raise would have left me with an awkward stack for the rest of the hand. I shoved and got called by AQd. Needless to say he got there.   Did I overplay my top set? Maybe. But if I had called the post flop bet and folded the turn I would have had just under 1000chips left. Which people will call off with junk against me. Every time somebody calls me with a flush draw they get there. -£3.30   BR £394.71
    Posted by ShaunyT
    did u post from this page h/h or from the lobby?  should come out ok from this page

gl
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    Can't fault the play at all. Just a cold deck and action flop that means neither player can fold.

If you can ever get all the chips in on a flop whilst you hold the nuts, then happy days.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: My Diary : did u post from this page h/h or from the lobby?  should come out ok from this page gl dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Ah yeah, forgot about that. cheers Fixed it now.
  • edited January 2014
    Can't fault the play at all. Just a cold deck and action flop that means neither player can fold. If you can ever get all the chips in on a flop whilst you hold the nuts, then happy days.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thanks h (is it ok if I just call you h? lol)

Just min cashed in the £300 with no bounties :( every time I got paid it was against a bigger stack. Finished 11th for £5.56 so a massive 19p down even though I cashed lol.

So what you reckon to this play?

Hand History #736096879 (13:26 23/01/2014)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    xxxSmall blind  300.00 300.00 18120.00
    toobab Big blind  600.00 900.00 15530.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

hazey64 Fold     
    ShaunyT Raise  1800.00 2700.00 10260.00
    k1ngstu Fold     
    kightley11 Fold     
    xxxCall  1500.00 4200.00 16620.00
    toobab Fold     
    Flop

Check     
    ShaunyT Bet  1800.00 6000.00 8460.00
    xxxRaise  7650.00 13650.00 8970.00
    ShaunyT All-in  8460.00 22110.00 0.00
    xxx Call  2610.00 24720.00 6360.00
    xxx Show
    • J

ShaunyT Show
    • K
    • A

Turn

River

• Q

xxxWin Flush to the Jack 24720.00
  • edited January 2014
    Obviously I hadn't expected to be up against a flopped flush. I was hoping for a fold or him to have a pair with a worse flush draw. I figure the check raise was a bit weird unless he had a set and he left half his stack behind. I had no reads on the player as it was a new table. The blinds were quite steep and I thought if I fold I will be short stacked and may not find a better spot.
  • edited January 2014
    Pre...probably min raising my entire range here. 3x is better when stacks are deeper. At this stage in a tourney, I'd be min raising my monsters but also my steals. 3x makes your cbets more expensive for when we whiff a flop, and when stacks are shallow it's easy to get stacks in by the river (or before) for when we flop well, even with just a min raise pre.

It's a pretty good flop for us, the only slight drawback is when he check raises us, we are never getting a fold. We can still fold, but readless as you are here, I think the vast majority of people go with it. On another day we'll be up against stuff like J10 with one diamond, or Qd9x which means we have great equity. Just unfortunate to be up against the flopped flush, but we were never drawing dead in this spot.

This might sound a tad extreme, and many others on here might disagree with me ;) but we can get called very light in the lower BH's, so if you had been at the table a while and had a feel for it and the other players, we can just open jam AK feeling pretty confident that someone will look us up with a dominated hand. Do not underestimate what people will call with when there is a head prize on the line!
  • edited January 2014
    Pre...probably min raising my entire range here. 3x is better when stacks are deeper. At this stage in a tourney, I'd be min raising my monsters but also my steals. 3x makes your cbets more expensive for when we whiff a flop, and when stacks are shallow it's easy to get stacks in by the river (or before) for when we flop well, even with just a min raise pre. It's a pretty good flop for us, the only slight drawback is when he check raises us, we are never getting a fold. We can  still fold, but readless as you are here, I think the vast majority of people go with it. On another day we'll be up against stuff like J10 with one diamond, or Qd9x which means we have great equity. Just unfortunate to be up against the flopped flush, but we were never drawing dead in this spot. This might sound a tad extreme, and many others on here might disagree with me ;) but we can get called very light in the lower BH's, so if you had been at the table a while and had a feel for it and the other players, we can just open jam AK feeling pretty confident that someone will look us up with a dominated hand. Do not underestimate what people will call with when there is a head prize on the line!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Not

With

This

Stack

Size.

Come on Harry!

Other than that awful little bit of advice, the rest of it seems solid ;)
  • edited January 2014
    Pre...probably min raising my entire range here. 3x is better when stacks are deeper. At this stage in a tourney, I'd be min raising my monsters but also my steals. 3x makes your cbets more expensive for when we whiff a flop, and when stacks are shallow it's easy to get stacks in by the river (or before) for when we flop well, even with just a min raise pre. It's a pretty good flop for us, the only slight drawback is when he check raises us, we are never getting a fold. We can  still fold, but readless as you are here, I think the vast majority of people go with it. On another day we'll be up against stuff like J10 with one diamond, or Qd9x which means we have great equity. Just unfortunate to be up against the flopped flush, but we were never drawing dead in this spot. This might sound a tad extreme, and many others on here might disagree with me ;) but we can get called very light in the lower BH's, so if you had been at the table a while and had a feel for it and the other players, we can just open jam AK feeling pretty confident that someone will look us up with a dominated hand. Do not underestimate what people will call with when there is a head prize on the line!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Great advice mate cheers. Stuff to bear in mind. Much appreciated.
  • edited January 2014
    Well, played the £150 bh like a pro. finished 35/80 something. Horrendous. My rivered straight ran into a flopped flush (happens to me regular) I lost a flip, and that was it. -£3.30

£300 bh. Played pretty solid lost another flip which crippled me but somehow managed to fight back. I finished 9th out of 80 collecting 2 bounties for a profit of £4.61

I shoved utg with 55 ( I only had 10bb big stack then jammed over the top with 10 10 and hit a 10 on the flop). Not great play on my part but there was only 5 players at our table.

So since I started my diary my MTT strike rate is 2cashes from 5. But I'm still down nearly a fiver lol. I like the daytime bounty hunters as they fit my schedule but I just don't seem to get paid off when I get a hand. Also my luck has deserted me when I need it. Not too disheartened a few places higher from each cash and I would have probably been £20-£30 to the good.

br £395.83
  • edited January 2014
    Played the £150 bh and £300 bh. Total buy in £6.79. Took 2 heads in the £150 for which I have taken into account. Didn't do much wrong, squeezed with 10 10 vs a shortie with KJ suited. lost that, then got it in with AQ suited vs KK. Lost that too. In the £300 I flopped top 2 but got it in bad on the turn when it brought the villians straight in. Maybe I could have gotten away from it as he had called a chunky bet on the flop but I thought the gutshot was unlikely, but guess what? People call big bets drawing to gutshots.....

br £389.04
  • edited January 2014

Well last night I played 3 MTT's. £200 gtd £1000bh and the mini bh. I took 2 bounties in the £1000 so my total buy ins were £12.99. I ran quite deep in the £200 gtd. The mini was mental. Bingo players everywhere. I got QQ cracked by K6 off and 86 suited in the same hand. trip 6's for each villain. What range can you put a player on when he will call limp/call utg with K6 off?????

Slightly better news, I decided to try the "spin £5 into £200 on the cash tables". I sat for the first level on master cash 2 with my fiver and turned it into £22.61 for a profit of £17.61. In doing this I hit my first ever ROYAL FLUSH. The crazy thing is the guy I beat in the hand hit a royal flush himself about 15mins later.

br £393.66

• edited January 2014

I only played in the £300 bh this morning. I played really solid and patient. Finally got rewarded by getting a spewy chip leader to my left. Managed to outplay him on several occasions, I went from 4k to about 15k and collected his bounty. All in all I took 6 bounties for £14.68 and finished 3rd for £20.56. Giving me a total profit of £29.49. I played my big stack really well and when it got short handed I feel I had the measure of the players and made good notes.

I eventually had to rush as the tournament when we got down to the last 3 as it took a while longer than usual and I had to get back to work lol. Probably cost me about £40 if I'd have won.

Pleased with a bit of profit the last 2 days after treading water for a week.

br £422.15

Think I might try level 2 of the cash challenge tomorrow.

• edited January 2014
    mixed day at the office today. entered 2 bounty hunters and got nowhere. shoved over a 3 bet with AK and got called by 77, needless to say 77 held. in the other i got a horrendous bad beat. i had a complete manic to my left limp/calling with anything. i raised JJ and got called by the maniac. flop came 467 with 2 diamonds. i check raised all in due to my reads and he called with 10 8 off and he didnt even have 1 diamond. the 5 on the river sickened me. Then to cap it off i got stacked at cash for £20 when i ran 2 pair into a set. however that was my fault i could have definitely got away from it. ALthough i did reload and claw back £14 of it.   bankroll now back nearly where i started lol£406.50
  • edited January 2014
    6th place in a £20 freeroll. £1.06. free money ha ha. br £407.56
  • edited January 2014
    mini cash session. Played solid, made a couple of big folds, got AA paid off. Played position well. £11.47 profit.

br £419.03
  • edited January 2014

keep it going Shaun,

going up slowly

dev
  • edited January 2014
    Cheers Dev.

Well it was till I got stacked for £20 by some complete fish, cant remember his name, was something really stupid like Lambert180. (only kidding mate nh wp gg)
    ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    stfc_1953 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £18.25
    noodles272 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £12.74
      Your hole cards

ShaunyT Call  £0.20 £0.50 £14.65
    Lambert180 Raise  £0.80 £1.30 £19.81
    splashies Fold     
    stfc_1953 Fold     
    noodles272 Fold     
    ShaunyT Call  £0.60 £1.90 £14.05
    Flop

• K

ShaunyT Bet  £0.80 £2.70 £13.25
    Lambert180 Raise  £2.20 £4.90 £17.61
    ShaunyT Call  £1.40 £6.30 £11.85
    Turn

ShaunyT All-in  £11.85 £18.15 £0.00
    Lambert180 All-in  £17.61 £35.76 £0.00
    Lambert180 Unmatched bet  £5.76 £30.00 £5.76
    ShaunyT Show

Lambert180 Show
    • A
    • K

River

Lambert180 Win Two Pairs, Kings and 5s £28.50  £34.26
    Bad play on my part?

Anyway, that meant I left the cash tables a total of £22.04 down.

Then I entered £150 and £300 bh. Took 3 heads in the £150 but didn't cash so made £0.09p lol

took 2 heads in the £300 for £5.15 and finished 4th for a cash of £19.66

So if I hadn't have run into Lambert180 I would have had a profitable day. as it happens im £2.89 down. Oh well, played well in the tourneys.

br £416.14

• edited January 2014
    Lambert's raised 80p pf that's a danger sign.
    he's re-raised you on the flop,  that's another danger sign.
    not sure about the all-in on river either.
    you've lost £15 with a 9 high hand.

enough said,

• edited January 2014
    Lambert's raised 80p pf that's a danger sign. he's re-raised you on the flop,  that's another danger sign. not sure about the all-in on river either. you've lost £15 with a 9 high hand. enough said,
    Posted by devonfish5
    i shoved on the turn mate. i figured i might be able to get him off a decent hand. plus i had gutshot and flush draw.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: My Diary : i shoved on the turn mate. i figured i might be able to get him off a decent hand. plus i had gutshot and flush draw.
    Posted by ShaunyT
    yeah sorry mate, turn not river.
    fair play, don't think he's folding though. tptk (this is where you need to have good notes on players too, imo)
    better shoving on flop imo, with 2 cards to come.( better still fold... even hitting our 9 high flush won't always be good)
    nice effort though
    would you make the same play holding 2 pair or trips? deffo looks like u r on flush draw to me.(in which case Lambert is right to call, I think)
    I don't play nl20 mate, so maybe it's a different game to the one I play at nl4, so don't listen to my advice.
    why not post hand up in poker clinic? see what they say there.
    best wishes,
    dev