You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Hi Vespa,

Yeah it did sound that way, makes a big change to be fair after years of not even being able to always win when we played great, let alone blag a win if we weren't playing well!! I saw some stat that we haven't won away to Bournemouth for almost 70 years before last night?

Can't imagine Pearce being the sort to sit their quiet and studiously share advice at half time when we aren't playing well tbf. That can only work to our benefit in the Championship I hope.

Think Bournemouth will still be up there all season though, play some good stuff and Wilson looks a player. We were meant to be in for him during the summer and I think Wilson and Assombalonga are fairly equal in ability at the moment, so it can be said that your lot got themselves a bargain. Just have fingers crossed that Assombalonga scores 1 more though... at 25/1 I'm relying on him if I'm to have a holiday next year!!
  • edited August 2014
    That last hand. Wasn't our friend Bagpuss was it?
  • edited August 2014
    I don't know why you'd suggest that Craig? :)

How's your own rebuilding going - have seen you at a few NL10 tables again lately so hopefully starting to improve?

I tried 2 x NL20 for a bit again last night, dropped about £6, mostly got owned due to EvilPingu to my left.

Was frustrating that I was card dead, going the best part of 3 orbits without even raising, then finally playing a pot with the likes of SC/mid pairs/Ax and getting 3 and 4 bet so having to fold. Even more so when it turns out that I was being raised fairly light lol... no respect!

Was about £10 down when I went back to NL10, some frustrating outdraws but would have been breakeven if I hadn't tried to bluff a reg who insta-called me with top pair. I was a bit surprised to be honest, thought they'd have been far tighter than that due to playing so many tables.... but that perhaps points to ME thinking way too tight?

Signed up to the week free trial at GrinderSchool (which still sounds well dodgy) - watched a few vids, but the speaker was so boring I was starting to nod off as they spoke. Hopefully can find some stuff a bit more engaging over the rest of the week... the content looks solid so think I should be able to pick up some useful learning before deciding whether or not to subscribe.

£1,506
  • edited August 2014
    Nothing to do with me, but this action river got the chat box buzzing a bit last night...

Was also a very good table example of position, regs and nits to my right, two action players to the left. I'd expect to win off the guys limped CO and BU, but just couldn't build a thing on this table. Switch the positions and the game would have been so much easier!!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    layton Sit out     
    SBSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £5.74
    BBBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £5.44
    COAnte  £0.05 £0.20 £11.41
      Your hole cards

shakinaces Fold     
    COCall  £0.10 £0.30 £11.31
    BUCall  £0.10 £0.40 £9.56
    SBCall  £0.05 £0.45 £5.69
    BBCheck     
    Flop

SBCheck     
    BBCheck     
    COCheck     
    BUCheck     
    Turn

• J

SBCheck     
    BBBet  £0.30 £0.75 £5.14
    COCall  £0.30 £1.05 £11.01
    BUCall  £0.30 £1.35 £9.26
    SBFold     
    River

BBBet  £0.68 £2.03 £4.46
    CORaise  £3.39 £5.42 £7.62
    BURaise  £6.10 £11.52 £3.16
    BBAll-in  £4.46 £15.98 £0.00
    COAll-in  £7.62 £23.60 £0.00
    BUAll-in  £3.16 £26.76 £0.00
    COUnmatched bet  £1.75 £25.01 £1.75
    BBShow
    • A

COShow
    • A

BUShow
    • Q

BUWin Straight Flush to the 7 £23.61  £23.61
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: a fish en route to NL20:
    I don't know why you'd suggest that Craig? :) How's your own rebuilding going - have seen you at a few NL10 tables again lately so hopefully starting to improve? I tried 2 x NL20 for a bit again last night, dropped about £6, mostly got owned due to EvilPingu to my left. Was frustrating that I was card dead, going the best part of 3 orbits without even raising, then finally playing a pot with the likes of SC/mid pairs/Ax and getting 3 and 4 bet so having to fold. Even more so when it turns out that I was being raised fairly light lol... no respect! Was about £10 down when I went back to NL10, some frustrating outdraws but would have been breakeven if I hadn't tried to bluff a reg who insta-called me with top pair. I was a bit surprised to be honest, thought they'd have been far tighter than that due to playing so many tables.... but that perhaps points to ME thinking way too tight? Signed up to the week free trial at GrinderSchool (which still sounds well dodgy) - watched a few vids, but the speaker was so boring I was starting to nod off as they spoke. Hopefully can find some stuff a bit more engaging over the rest of the week... the content looks solid so think I should be able to pick up some useful learning before deciding whether or not to subscribe. £1,506
    Posted by shakinaces

Lol. Thought so. 

It's going steady, concentrating on MTTs again at the mo. Had a few final tables and deep runs but no win as yet. 

Cash is weird, feel I'm playing ok but what I win on one table I lose on another! Lol. Eeking a slow increase though, just hoping to actually run well for a little and I'm sure I will rocket up.  I know I'm getting in enough good positions, just not getting value or chopping a lot!

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: a fish en route to NL20 : Lol. Thought so.  It's going steady, concentrating on MTTs again at the mo. Had a few final tables and deep runs but no win as yet.  Cash is weird, feel I'm playing ok but what I win on one table I lose on another! Lol. Eeking a slow increase though, just hoping to actually run well for a little and I'm sure I will rocket up.  I know I'm getting in enough good positions, just not getting value or chopping a lot!
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Sounds promising then, like you say it's only a matter of time before you get a card rush and a nice boost to the roll as long as you keep putting yourself in good spots. It's rare to make a final table on Sky without having a fighters chance of the win, so can only be a matter of time before you bink a bigger win.

The more cash I play the more I start to think MTT are the 'easier' option at these levels and should take a bit more of my focus (for the purpose of winning money). Cash is just so much more fun though IMO, possibly because I don't really feel huge disappointment at cash, if I bust I reload and go again. Tournaments can just be crushing when you keep getting an hour or two in, only to leave empty handed after losing a flip/being sucked out on.
  • edited August 2014
    £1,525.30

Didn't play much last night before a trip to the pub. Ran pretty well tbf.

Re: last update about position, found myself with similar table dynamics on first NL8 table I joined yesterday (site was v quiet), but the game is easy when the first time you're in the SB you can gii pre AA v AK for a quick £6.

With Larson at my table last night it reminded me of the £10-£1000 challenge that someone on an old punting forum (also called Larson7) kicked off and many people copied.

Quite a few made it - I never got all the way in maybe 10 attempts, but am going to make that an aim alongside the poker this season. £1k from poker or £1k from idiot betting challenge, which one gets there first.

In short, £10 bet on a '1 or more goals' on a footy match. Odds are dire, normally 1/10 at the very best. Keep lobbing the full balance on each time. Needs up to 100 matches in a row to hit the £1,000 mark. Occasionally try speed things up with the odd 'other' odds-on bet where appropriate.
  • edited August 2014
    £1,632.20

Not posting for a few days, but running pretty well... I'm not sure I've got the hang of this diary lark.

Shockingly poor DTD games last night, but I accidentally entered the £1.10 PLO8 tourni that was listed immediately after the £1.10 DTD2 - and somehow ran my way into 2nd spot to make a small tourni profit for the night.

Still don't really get any of the nuances of the game, but it is a fun change from the norm. It's a shame that there are zero cash tables running at micro levels for PLO/PLO8, but I get that Sky rake is even more brutal in these formats and stops people jumping in. Maybe I'll dabble a bit more if I ever get to the point that I can play the low stakes and not worry about losing 10+ BI in quick succession.

Black Cats scraped a top 5 spot, so another £15 added today. Awesome.  The Toffees this week rank as 5th favourite, so fingers crossed they can rake me in another £15 this week and get a hat-trick of Sky Premiership wins. I run well at promos this year (update post on that to start September).

Cash was tough due to whatever rake race was forcing regs to infest the NL10 games over the last week. I think at one point Donttelmum literally stole my soul and proceeded to win every single pot I inadvertently entered vs him. I'd like to say that I upped my game to compete with the reg names, but I'd imagine stats would show I lost a packet vs them seemingly always having it and am only up for the period due to bullying any recs I had the good fortune to sit with.

Other than DTD, had some good £2 BH runs. Maybe some of the video watching is starting to sink in. Definitely given me some alternative ways of looking at games which can only be good. I still miss playing with 100bb or more though!

And one last chirp... Forest top of the league and crushing. It can never last so has to be enjoyed for now!
  • edited August 2014
    Same sort of hand, different (rec) oppo in each, nothing to add in terms of note.

Auto fold / call each river?

How wide a range should I still have villains on by the time I face their river donk?
    Robbo67 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £13.50
    villain1Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £4.43
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • Q

cdg83 Call  £0.08 £0.20 £2.93
    Parmenion Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £0.32 £0.52 £7.83
    pritchy810 Fold     
    Robbo67 Fold     
    villain1Call  £0.24 £0.76 £4.19
    cdg83 Fold     
    Flop

• Q

villain1Check     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.35 £1.11 £7.48
    villain1Call  £0.35 £1.46 £3.84
    Turn

• K

villain1Check     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.70 £2.16 £6.78
    villain1Call  £0.70 £2.86 £3.14
    River

villain1All-in  £3.14 £6.00 £0.00
    shakinaces
    shakinaces Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £8.08
    villain2Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £14.01
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

shakinaces Raise  £0.20 £0.32 £7.88
    villain2Call  £0.16 £0.48 £13.85
    Flop

• J

villain2Check     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.30 £0.78 £7.58
    villain2Call  £0.30 £1.08 £13.55
    Turn

villain2Check     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.64 £1.72 £6.94
    villain2Call  £0.64 £2.36 £12.91
    River

• A

villain2Bet  £2.36 £4.72 £10.55
    shakinaces ???
  • edited August 2014
    Hey mate

Both hands think we just fold on the river. Generally speaking, but not always, they just think better get value from my hand mash the pot button. One pair hands are seldom good here in my experience.

Definatly better spots than these.
  • edited August 2014
    I agree with larson. But just keep an eye on them in other pots and try and refine your reads.
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks both... I was mostly just confused as to what hand range I could put the villain on in these two spots. It sort of feels like there would be enough busted draws or flushes that it made it a poor play from me to fold 2nd pair (given I figured to be ahead on flop and turn).

True that I don't need to worry about being exploitable vs random recs though lol

Some interesting reading on SB vs BB and general 3b play. I'm very much aware that I still don't 3b sufficiently and need to better grasp these concepts if I'm to hold my own at the higher levels (a lesson well taught by EvilPingu's incessent 3-betting of mine and other's opens last time I played NL20!)

http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue115/matthew-janda-no-limit-poker-ranges.php

£1,637.29 - should be more... still can't fully grasp the concept that when a nit 4 bets at NL10, and you have KK, they always have AA... micro-nits don't 4-bet bluff.  Also made a shocking call against a player I know better than most... can only put that down to confirming they still play exactly as my notes suggest lol
  • edited August 2014

£1,649.69

Chalk and cheese two days. Weds I whiffed every hand and was just getting beaten up. Felt like I played pretty awesome in the main to only be about a tenner down lol

Yesterday I arguably played worse, but there were lots of soft spots and I was lucky enough to hit top pair or better in order to get value from that. Plus it helps when you have hands like calling from SB with JJ, hitting your set and getting paid by AA... or the poor fella (who seemed a pretty decent player) that sat down and got KK first hand only to get it all in pre vs my AA.

The most frustrating part was when tables were starting to break (seemingly after the cash hour ended on 861) and one of the new seats I opened was a painfully tight table.

I got AA on the button, KK in the CO, QQ in MP, QQ UTG and got nothing but the blinds from raising each of them lol! Must remind myself that's a far better result than if the hand had played out and I'd gotten stacked vs a set or weird two pair.

Would still have preferred to have had that card rush at any other table last night though :)

Played good volume and feel like I've played good cards this week. One of the highest points scorers in my Sky Premiership team so must've been working hard!

• edited September 2014
    £1,688.92

Friday - from about £20 up to about £40 down at one point, very frustrating as felt like there were lots of weak players at all tables but I was missing everything and value owning myself on several rivers where I thought top two was good only to get called by sets. Recovered to pretty much breakeven, although blew the chance of a £10 profit by being a non-believe with two pair (again lol) and calling vs someone I had notes on that they bluff lots. Sigh.

Saturday- Lucky win over Sheff Weds (defended really well mind), top of the league still, unbeaten and Derby at home next game. If it wasn't for the past 15 years or so then I'd be on the verge of being optimistic that Forest might actually be set for a great season this year!

I obviously want us to smash Derby and restore some pride after the last game, but ideally still see both teams back in the Prem next season. You need to stay at roughly the same level to keep a rivalry competitive!

Sunday- Played a full 90 mins for the first time in forever for my Sunday league team and we won our final preseason friendly 6-2. Might even get to start the first league game now, happy days.

Was pretty much broken afterwards mind. My back was coated in deep heat but still destroyed (luckily the monthly chiropractor trip is this evening), my right knee felt like papier mache (did my ligaments when I was 13 and always been a bit dodgy since) and the over compensation meant my left leg had to be drowned in deep freeze to mask shin splints.

Getting old is a right pain.

Tried to play a bit of poker when I got home but brain wasn't on it at all. Played like an absolute tard and blew through £20 in next to no time, so shut things down and found other ways to pass the afternoon.

Back to things in the evening and I seemed to have unlocked beast mode, 3 betting like a boss, picking up some good post-flop hands, seemingly judging my value bets and bluffs spot on all evening. I didn't want to go to bed things were running so well.

I probably should have quit sooner though.

That was what I thought when I rolled over to check my clock this morning and saw it was 8.58am, slept right through two alarms and had 2 minutes to get to work. So grateful my current boss isn't a morning person and is normally late himself / the only one left when the rest of my team have left the office at 4.30 and it looks like I'm conscientiously working late.

When I get home I'll add monthly breakdowns from since this started. I'm in danger of having met my first set of targets and needing to add some more....
  • edited September 2014
    I totally felt like I was ahead all the way here, oppo was fairly solid and felt the turn bet could easily be a pair + draw, as well as them being capable of trying to bluff me at a point where it looked like I'd c-bet/given up.  At the same time I wasn't overly sure they would be paying off bare-one-pair hands if I barrelled through the hand so was in danger of value-owning myself again if I bet turn.

Then I hit the sort of dream river, short of oppo backing into a flush. My timer ran right down as I hovered over check / sized a bet / went back to check / resized a bet.

In the end I figured the flush would make things a bit spew if I led out and faced a re-raise and had to call off for a likely chop + if I bet I only get called by another Ace and end up donating extra rake.

Was my logic anywhere near sound or should I be putting in a small raise / calling any re-raise?
    Achille1 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £30.91
    cam25 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £8.83
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

shakinaces Raise  £0.35 £0.50 £24.02
    theking919 Call  £0.35 £0.85 £10.10
    villainCall  £0.35 £1.20 £19.65
    Achille1 Call  £0.30 £1.50 £30.61
    cam25 Call  £0.25 £1.75 £8.58
    Flop

• K
    • J
    • Q

Achille1 Check     
    cam25 Check     
    villainBet  £0.90 £2.65 £23.12
    theking919 Fold     
    paris1995 Call  £0.90 £3.55 £18.75
    Achille1 Fold     
    cam25 Fold     
    Turn

shakinaces Check     
    villainBet  £1.90 £5.45 £16.85
    shakinaces Call  £1.90 £7.35 £21.22
    River

shakinaces Check     
    villainCheck     
    shakinaces Show
    • A
    • A

villainMuck
    • Q

shakinaces Win Straight to the Ace £6.79  £28.01
  • edited September 2014
    £1,671.30

Totally beaten up the last couple of days. Think it was partly due to my table selection and playing with a lot of very loose / maniac players and being forced to take a higher variance route, which will obviously even out in the end.

It's ridic how many times I've picked up aces, but every time I either seem to scoop blinds or go busto lol. In some instances it is still a leaky fault of mine, where I know I'm beat on the river but end up with like 30-40BB behind and see a pot up to 200BB... still really struggle to find the fold button with big overpairs in those spots.

1. Apparently I can get 7 days free on deucescracked so will be signing up to try that this evening.

2. Next leg of Poker Player series tonight - am still just on the leaderboard in the magazine, so need to focus for a good run today and/or Monday.  Struggle to play for 50th place or better though, keep going busto chasing for a bigger result.

3. Had 861 open the laptop last night during a break. Tikay was talking up 3000 - 5000 being a sensible and achievable points target for micro players. Is that for STT/MTT only as it seems nigh on impossible at micro cash. I probably get 20pts / hour playing 4-6 tables which would mean 150-250 hours a month. Surely that can't be right??? 

Briefly thought I may be slacking by averaging around 1500pts a month... but then that still averages 2 1/2 hours / day... could probably be quite a productive human being with that much time lol
  • edited September 2014
    Been a while since posting some moderate beats (only 1-outer or runner/runner should really warrant 'bad' status)

1, I probably should have just called turn anyway... his turn range was probably making KK look pretty terrible... but still.

2, Action table last night had 2 players that kept just punting all in pre 3 or more times every orbit... probably shouldn't sit at these tables... whenever they got called they always sucked out lol... several other players came, patiently waited for a hand, got stacked, maybe tried once more, then gave lots of chatbox abuse and left. The gambler in me couldn't do that.

ps - with a player that maniac, what should a calling range be for 100bb?  88+ AJs+ AKo?  Wider?
    MADSTAD Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £9.44
    riverratBig blind  £0.08 £0.12 £8.59
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

shakinaces Raise  £0.32 £0.44 £7.68
    MATTENG Fold     
    Busted558 Fold     
    MADSTAD Fold     
    riverratCall  £0.24 £0.68 £8.35
    Flop

• J

riverratBet  £0.51 £1.19 £7.84
    shakinaces Raise  £1.18 £2.37 £6.50
    riverratCall  £0.67 £3.04 £7.17
    Turn

riverratBet  £3.04 £6.08 £4.13
    shakinaces All-in  £6.50 £12.58 £0.00
    riverratCall  £3.46 £16.04 £0.67
    riverratShow

shakinaces Show
    • K
    • K

River

riverratWin Straight to the 7 £14.83  £15.50
    Cortez1 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £7.40
    shakinaces Big blind  £0.10 £0.20 £26.09
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

maniacAll-in  £8.76 £8.96 £0.00
    Pistolpov8 Fold     
    BULLET513 Fold     
    jakebridge Fold     
    Cortez1 Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £17.32 £26.28 £8.77
    shakinaces Unmatched bet  £8.66 £17.62 £17.43
    shakinaces Show
    • Q
    • Q

maniacShow
    • A

Flop

• A
    • Q

Turn

• A

River

maniacWin Full House, Aces and 10s £16.29  £16.29
  • edited September 2014
    £1,760.36

Good times yesterday, only played a bit over two hours and obviously ran well to rack up over £70.

Even more so given the connection problems. Internet went completely about 15 mins in and lost all the tables I was just getting my feet under.  Then later I got auto-sat out/couldn't sit in at all tables, but yet could continue to chat. 

Very odd... since the last Sky download update I do seem to be struggling techie wise... may need to start factoring in a £1k-odd withdrawal to get a new laptop.  Even 6-tables is almost impossible now... I had 15-odd running not so long ago during the 800m hand promo and my laptop was running smoother!!

Was some good banter at the tables I did get to run... discussions about how I'm a Sky employee (because those are the only winners on this site) and agreeing to play the 72 game (then subsequently never getting dealt it... good times!) as well as non-stop tin-foil-hat chunterer that was bemoaning his luck while sat with more than 3x his buy in (and playing VERY obviously, such that even a non-observant idiot like me could insta-tell how strong his holding was).

So fun times all round... in the patches I could play!
  • edited September 2014

Cold, but always satisfying to stack someone that goes out of their way to sit on my left in order to sneak an edge.  Any guesses what the other player had??

shakinaces Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £9.95
    mark124529 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £8.30
      Your hole cards

LEFTYRaise  £0.30 £0.45 £9.55
    shakinaces Call  £0.25 £0.70 £9.70
    mark124529 Call  £0.20 £0.90 £8.10
    Flop

shakinaces Check     
    mark124529 Bet  £0.45 £1.35 £7.65
    LEFTYRaise  £1.40 £2.75 £8.15
    shakinaces Call  £1.40 £4.15 £8.30
    mark124529 Call  £0.95 £5.10 £6.70
    Turn

• K

shakinaces Check     
    mark124529 Bet  £2.55 £7.65 £4.15
    LEFTYAll-in  £8.15 £15.80 £0.00
    shakinaces All-in  £8.30 £24.10 £0.00
    mark124529 Fold     
    shakinaces Unmatched bet  £0.15 £23.95 £0.15
    shakinaces Show

LEFTYShow
    • K

River

• A

shakinaces Win Three 4s £22.55  £22.70
  • edited September 2014
    £1,758.45

Nothing much to update, have been rubbish at playing poker in the last week... gonna blame getting no-hopers in the Premiership promo and having no desire to try and add my few hundred points to the cause!

Been pretty KO'd in evenings... played 90mins of footy on Sunday and somehow escaped with a 2-2 draw after spending the whole 2nd half (I'm a left back) defending for our lives. Not sure we had the ball out of our half for more than 5 minutes the whole time after being 2-0 up at the break.

Typical Sunday league that we've had 16+ players available every week during the summer friendlies and lots of moaning about not getting enough game time... first proper game and we are down to 9 players about an hour before KO and only just get 11 bodies out to play a very disjointed game of football. No moans here though, probably love it more now than I did when I was young, maybe because I know there can't be many more games left before my knees and back completely pack in!!

Then a few days off work this week mostly passed by doing DIY and a day trip to Alton Towers, both of which also left me pretty knackered and just couldn't really get the enthusiasm for more than just a few hands of cards.

Back to normality (of work) today, but as I'm likely off to walk in the Brecons this weekend there will continue to be a mini-hiatus. Will look to compensate by sticking in a few hours tonight and attempt to get off the very average plateau it feels like I'm currently stuck on.
  • edited September 2014
    Thoughts on the weekend? Are you going? Will you thump us?

We'll miss Hendrick. We've not really played well yet this season but anything can happen in these games
  • edited September 2014
    No I've got an age till my next live game, have gotten way too lazy (and cheapskate) to make the drive up over the last season or so. Will you be there?

I don't see us getting thumped by 5 again and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a close affair. On paper the current team is (IMO) the best we've had since the Paul Hart youth came through in 2002/03, but every cliche applies and like you say, anything can happen.

That said, I will look to find a way to chuck the free £5 bet on the match somehow... easy come, easy go. Will add a score prediction after that!
  • edited September 2014
    Hey Shakin, looks like you're doing well.

Mind if I ask why you've decided to stay at 10NL? Dunno if I've missed an explanation earlier in the thread but the title is 'a fish en route to NL20' and you already got 90 BIs for 20NL (which is huge) and afaik, the skills to beat it.

£1.8k is easily enough to be rolled for 30/40NL (obv you don't have to make that jump all at once), but certainly worth playing some 20NL. Just give yourself a 10 BI limit or something. If u drop £200, it's really not the end of the world, u still got £1.6k, and you can come and try again later.
  • edited September 2014
    Hi Lambert,

I do continue to dip my toes in NL20 with one or two tables in the mix where possible. There is definitely still some mental block in jumping fully up the level, mostly for two factors:

I find it a lot harder to find 'soft' tables though and often my options are limited to playing with 4-5 solid multi tablers. From talking to a couple of regs at the tables, it sounds like that changes more on Friday/Saturday night so it may be that I miss a lot of the best action by going out too much! I know that I'll need to overcome this and work on beating the regs, given they make up an increasing proportion of the player pool at each higher level.

Can't say that I have run particularly well at the higher level so far, both from my play and from the spots being dealt. Now I'm not naturally someone with particularly huge self confidence, so continuing to walk away with my tail between my legs is making me question just how much more I still need to learn (hence the comment about having plateaued)
  • edited September 2014
    Back from Wales to get the Sky Sports on with 10 to spare.

Heart > Head, obviously.

FootballSky Bet ChampionshipNottingham Forest v DerbyScorecast14/09/2014 13:15Henri Lansbury &
    Nottingham Forest 3-1 @ 100/1
    2-1 and getting battered for most of the second half until we put it to bed on the break late on...

Looking forward to a good bit of nail biting and swearing for the next hour and a half. Good Sunday :)
  • edited September 2014
    £1,758.49

4-tabled NL20 last night for just short of 2 hours.  All for 4p profit.  Back of the net :)

The psychology of the swings is maybe starting to dissipate now, based on yesterday. Must have been over £40 down early on, a couple of mistimed bluffs and calling down vs the nuts, added to doing a stack with AK (aipf vs 88 and JKo - can't remember the last time I got it in pre vs 2 oppo at NL10 or lower and didn't see at least one person with AA/KK lol)

Anyway, the early downer didn't stop me chucking my money about when the spot called for it, which invariably helped to get out of the hole.  Although I'm guessing I must have been nearly a buy in up until a few odd spots towards the end.

The footy was hard watching with both centre mids hobbling off the pitch, and a draw probably has to be ok after the last derby game result lol.

In my absence traipsing over the black mountains in Wales, my Sunday team managed to cause an upset by beating a higher div team in the cup. I kind of planned the walking trip for that weekend because we expected to get hammered, but might be a struggle to get back in the side again now!

Downloaded an app called 'ShareMyPair' the other day. Disappointingly it doesn't include the women-uploaded dubious selfies the title may suggest, but does have a bunch of random poker hands shared by some pros (Raymer, Helmuth, Jaka) which makes for some interesting reading during toilet breaks. Also looks to be some decent strategy vids embedded within it, which I'll be having a bit of a play with post-poker over the next few days.

I evidently still need all the (strategy) help I can get!
  • edited September 2014
    £1,727.21

Bit of a car crash yesterday, one of these days I'll iron out enough mistakes to book a win at NL20!

Apart from anything else, my timing just seemed to be terribad.  Every time I raised a button with a premium hand I just picked up the blinds, every time I was a little bit at it I got 3-bet by the blinds and had to give up / donked a few extra blinds away by calling 'because I have position' but completely omitting to structure a proper plan for post flop.

Also made this pretty terrible call by convincing myself that 'he MUST have something like AJ or KJ'.  Slap.

Should I be 5-betting QQ more frequently now? If the flop comes with under cards, I probably end up stacking off vs KK / AA a lot of the time anyway.  I raised the turn at the time because the £1 lead looked so weak from a player that had been over-sizing most bets to that point... but then what do I hope to get called by?
    EUREKA Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £18.94
    gemstoon Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £16.15
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

xxxRaise  £0.40 £0.70 £36.28
    Lowfields Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £1.40 £2.10 £20.60
    Fish57 Fold     
    EUREKA Fold     
    gemstoon Fold     
    xxxRaise  £2.60 £4.70 £33.68
    shakinaces Call  £1.60 £6.30 £19.00
    Flop

• J

xxxCheck     
    shakinaces Check     
    Turn

xxxBet  £1.00 £7.30 £32.68
    shakinaces Raise  £4.60 £11.90 £14.40
    xxxAll-in  £32.68 £44.58 £0.00
    shakinaces All-in  £14.40 £58.98 £0.00
    xxxUnmatched bet  £14.68 £44.30 £14.68
    xxxShow
    • J
    • J

shakinaces Show
    • Q
    • Q

River

xxxWin Full House, Jacks and 10s £42.50  £57.18
  • edited September 2014

The QQ hand I think anything but a flat on the turn is a mistake. 

Despite turning a fullhouse our relative hand strength isn't that great. 

Raising just folds out AK, which is pretty much the only hand in his pre flop 4 betting range that we can beat. 

Downloaded an app called 'ShareMyPair' the other day. Disappointingly it doesn't include the women-uploaded dubious selfies the title may suggest, but does have a bunch of random poker hands shared by some pros (Raymer, Helmuth, Jaka) which makes for some interesting reading during toilet breaks. Also looks to be some decent strategy vids embedded within it, which I'll be having a bit of a play with post-poker over the next few days. I evidently still need all the (strategy) help I can get!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Love this btw, ^^^ haha. 
  • edited September 2014
    Yeah it was one of those button-clicks (the turn raise) that I immediately regretted, even before his shove.

It was greed more than anything else I suppose, £1 into a £6 pot seemed like really weak value at a point where I knew deep down I was over-valuing my hand.

Didn't play last night. Considering I might have to withdraw some money for RL costs but am trying to avoid that if possible.

It's definitely shaping up to be an exciting Championship season this year. Fantastic to finally have a striker at Forest that seems to know how to stick the ball in the net, Assombalonga could get us promoted on his own if he was to maintain his current strike rate - which I know won't last, but hopefully remains good enough to keep my top scorer bet interesting!
  • edited September 2014
    £1,747.11

Recovering from another wedding session yesterday. The cherry vodka that Polish people pass around at weddings is a wee bit vicious.

Not much going on cash wise at this time of day so donked about in some small tournis. Do my bit to try and help the Baggies hold on to a top 3 spot.

Near doubled a £3.30 timed, 3rd in a £5 bh, 2nd in a £2bh and just missed the hat-trick with 7th in a £5 bh. My run good definitely hit the buffers as I got it in just to split, then very next hand vs same player have KK < AA gg me.

Fun stuff though, shame I need rungood to win at tournis as it is a better buzz than cash when you get on a bit of a roll!

Anyway, time to try and be vaguely productive for a few hours while the cash tables fill up...