You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Duck the Bounty Hunter

Comments

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Ducky's 2nd Challenge ~ 5K for Christmas. Current BR £1575.59:
    Things started unravelling slightly on thursday and I decided no Ducky cash this weekend. Then like a poisoned apple from Snow White up pops "50% extra PP happpppy weekend" and I just couldn't stop shoving that juicy apple into my mouth! So many $$$PPs...but a dented BR.
    Posted by mrsduck
    One of the best metaphors I've read on this forum... Hope the rest of the happy weekend is, well, happier!
  • edited May 2014
    Shakin got here first!
    Just about to write something similar.
    Great line MrsDuck

Is Spanky onto something btw?

Get back to crushing please 
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Ducky's 2nd Challenge ~ 5K for Christmas. Current BR £1575.59:
    In Response to Re: Ducky's 2nd Challenge ~ 5K for Christmas. Current BR £1575.59 : Wow, a Ducky downswing, didn't see that coming.... Loving the cheeriness despite the recent losses, a few people (me very much included) could do with facing the adversities of variance with the same sunny disposition you display. Don't go chasing those reward points toooo hard, I've been there myself and have ended up barely covering my losses with the extra £££ I 'd earned through grinding. Quick Q:- How and when did you get into online poker and how would you say you have improved yourself as a player?? I'm guessing you've watched a lot of the televised Highstakes poker back in the good old days cos some of your moves are straight out of the Dwan, Elezra, Ivey handbooks. (That's a compliment btw ;) ).
    Posted by SJspanky1
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not!! (after witnessing my "moves" at the tables lol) :D

I got into online poker about 10 years ago more or less...I made a post about my poker history at the bottom of Page 4 of this diary if you're interested :)

When was "the good old days" exactly? I don't know who Elezra is and I really dislike Ivey but I love Durrrr!! He's my hero. I also love Daniel Negreano and I was really into Viktor Blom when he seemed to burst onto the scene.
    To be honest though I don't watch much poker online, or read about it online (except the Sky forums). I'm an MTT player dabbling in cash, making mistakes and finding my way on the tables. My MTT style is completely different from the cash player that's currently emerging!! My play is almost purely based on psychology...that's my favourite part of poker.

Thanks for the compliment and see you soon on a MC table :)
    PS In my mind I always call you DJ Spanky.

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Ducky's 2nd Challenge ~ 5K for Christmas. Current BR £1575.59 : One of the best metaphors I've read on this forum... Hope the rest of the happy weekend is, well, happier!
    Posted by shakinaces
    DITTO my friend! Run good!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Ducky's 2nd Challenge ~ 5K for Christmas. Current BR £1385.41:
    Shakin got here first! Just about to write something similar. Great line MrsDuck Is Spanky onto something btw? Get back to crushing please 
    Posted by Jac35
    Onto what lol?!?
  • edited May 2014
    :)

High stakes poker used to be a great watch.
    Playing for ridiculous amounts of money you would regulary see huge 3 barrell bluffs putting immense pressure on the opponents
  • edited May 2014
    Another diary I have just caught up with.
    Very well done so far and good luck  with your targets.

Run well.

Pat
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Ducky's 2nd Challenge ~ 5K for Christmas. Current BR £1385.41:
    :) High stakes poker used to be a great watch. Playing for ridiculous amounts of money you would regulary see huge 3 barrell bluffs putting immense pressure on the opponents
    Posted by Jac35
    That's me! Putting IMMENSE pressure on my opponents!! ;) lol
  • edited May 2014
    Another diary I have just caught up with. Very well done so far and good luck  with your targets. Run well. Pat
    Posted by day4eire76
    Thankyou Pat, I'm trying my best! :)
  • edited May 2014
    Ducky bluff of the day.. :)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    RIOLUCK Small blind   40.00 40.00 1430.00
    mrsduck Big blind   80.00 120.00 1655.00
      Your hole cards
    • K

Zublu Fold        
    dred12 Raise   160.00 280.00 1410.00
    Smarty_UK Fold        
    RIOLUCK Call   120.00 400.00 1310.00
    mrsduck Call   80.00 480.00 1575.00
    Flop

RIOLUCK Bet   80.00 560.00 1230.00
    mrsduck Call   80.00 640.00 1495.00
    dred12 Raise   440.00 1080.00 970.00
    RIOLUCK Fold        
    mrsduck Call   360.00 1440.00 1135.00
    Turn

mrsduck Check        
    dred12 Check        
    River

mrsduck Bet   1080.00 2520.00 55.00
    dred12 Fold        
    mrsduck Muck        
    mrsduck Win   1440.00   1495.00
    mrsduck Return   1080.00 0.00 2575.00
    Hours are picking up at work so I've been busier this week... one of my absolute favourite private students (a 60 something y/o Polish lady) has come back after a 6 month hiatus so I'm over the moon she's back and I'm teaching her an extra 4 hours a week :)

Been treading water a bit with poker. Lost a BI or so on cash the other day and came up short on a few tournies. Then I managed to bink my trusty old £400 £22 BH @ 3pm the other day too...so the BR's been up and down like a yoyo but I think it's pretty much the same as last time I posted now. I'll update numbers later after I've finished the £400 £11 BH I'm currently in. I've got a good feeling about this one!
    Run good everyone!

• edited May 2014
    Hey Mrs Duck, what is it you teach, swimming or is that paddling:)
  • edited May 2014
    Hey Mrs Duck, what is you teach, swimming or is that paddling:)
    Posted by LARSON7
    Funny that! I bought a swimming cosi today!!
    I teach English! Can't you tell by my good grammar and whatnot?! ;)

BTWWWW! Incred ROI, totes jell!! :D
  • edited June 2014
    Your link has been done  for tom dwan
  • edited June 2014
    Your link has been done  for tom dwan
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Hi Chris, thanks for doing the Durrrrr link! I really enjoyed it :)
  • edited June 2014
    Hi all!
    Sorry I've been totally AWOL so far this month. I've been off on a hen do one weekend and a wedding the other. Work is getting busier as its Summerrrrr and my mum's been in hospital. Poker's not been the best either!
    I'm taking a break for potentially the rest of the month. 
    Mr Duck is on a stag do the last weekend of June (we are at that age when everyone's getting married!! Two more this summer!) so I might come back then and treat myself to a couple of big tournies :)
    I'll still be floating around the next few weeks and playing a few bits and bobs but I don't have the brain energy to play properly and for long periods at the moment with all this other stuff going on! So the challenge is on hold for June but I'm looking forward to getting back on it in July and then I might have to stop in August again... :(
    Can't complain though, it's good to be busy!

Run good! Ducky x

• edited June 2014
    Hope everything gets better soon. x
  • edited June 2014
    Hi all, Ducky here, I'm back! Sort of!

;)

I've been spending a lot of time thinking recently... I'm a big ponderer, it's one of the things I like to do most!

I started thinking...why was I doing this challenge? Why do I want 5k for Christmas? There's nothing really I want to buy, there's no big Christmas present I want to get anyone, is it just winning money for winnings sake? Just to prove to myself I can do it? I know I can.

Money has never made me particularly happy...and I've never had that much of it really. I've never looked at my bank balance and felt smug and proud and pleased with myself. Numbers on a screen don't mean that much to me. I think this is a problem with my generation. Having always had a bank account and debit card. Sometimes playing Cash poker I won't think twice about calling off a bet or going all in with £100+ but getting out more then £50 at a cash point can panic me. Virtual numbers are only that and sometimes I feel so disconnected from the actual cash money I really own.

So when I got my BR over £1k I felt amazing...but then what £5k? Great idea! But then the £1k doesn't feel amazing anymore, it feels so small and like Chris_Mc talked about in his diary you can start to believe the £1k was the beginning and to go under that would be like going bust and I soon forgot that I'd made £1000 profit in under 2 months and I should've been over the moon!

So I sat back and said to myself...Ducky, why did you start the 50/50 challenge? 
    Cont...
  • edited June 2014
    I started with just £50 and really all I wanted was to try and make about £250 so I could withdraw a little to treat myself and a little to put towards my credit card bill. And I exceeded my target 3 fold and didn't do either of those things!! The numbers went to my head and I just wanted to keep pushing up and up. 

So here we are, I've withdrawn myself down to £100 and I've treated myself just a little. So far I've bought a new work bag that I've been hankering after for ages and an electric toothbrush!! Big spender I know, both adding up to less than £100 total but you know what? Walking to work carrying my bag, and when I'm brushing my teeth I often think oooo I bought these with my poker winnings and that makes my happier then the numbers on the screen ever did! Even though they're only small things...

So the big Ducky challenge is off...for now at least. I think I'm going to keep up with the diary because I enjoyed that a lot and being a part of the lovely Sky community and just aim to build a little profit each month from which I can withdraw a little and build a little. Sound good?

Ps I'm going to treat myself to the main and mini tomorrow night so watch this space!

:D
    (Couldn't write it all in one post on my iPad!)

PPs I need a new Diary name!
  • edited June 2014
    Cracking couple of posts Ducky, both pretty close to my circumstances from late last year/early this.....before I realised during a moment of clarity that there is a 'withdraw' button and used it accordingly to set myself up for my travels....instead of throwing £30+ at main/mini/whatever events and then shrugging when I was twiddling my thumbs at 9pm and my on screen balance had decreased by a chunk yet again.

It's good to have tangible things that have come directly or indirectly from looking at 2 cards. Not gonna lie, it was highly satisfying clearing my credit card after winning the Primo!

Slightly off topic....I know you're well travelled....have you been to Kenya? I've seen some absurdly cheap flights to Nairobi, and always fancied doing a safari...
  • edited June 2014
    Just put a bet on the Spain vs Chile game....come on Santi Cazorrrrrla!

*Oh FGS he's not playing lol!
  • edited June 2014
    This has become easily the best read on here MrsDuck. Your posts are always honest and interesting. Seems like you're a bit rubbish at betting on football though :)

I think it's a good decision to not really set any rigid goals. I have a loose figure I want to get to each month but don't really worry if I don't get there. I hugely endorse 'treats'. It's a fantastic feeling when you buy something that may not ordinarily purchase with poker winnings. 

I've never had a bankroll online really. I just put money in when I want to play and take it out when I'm done. I don't understand the point in working really hard to get a large bankroll but never actually enjoying it. 
    My approach obviously isn't very disciplined but at the same time it's good because I don't see it fluctuate all the time and put pressure on myself.

Keep up the good work :)
  • edited June 2014
    I like these posts very much. I am currently pondering what to do with my BR but plan to take the game a little seriously. Probably make a post after my final exam in the morning :-)
  • edited June 2014
    Cracking couple of posts Ducky, both pretty close to my circumstances from late last year/early this.....before I realised during a moment of clarity that there is a 'withdraw' button and used it accordingly to set myself up for my travels....instead of throwing £30+ at main/mini/whatever events and then shrugging when I was twiddling my thumbs at 9pm and my on screen balance had decreased by a chunk yet again. It's good to have tangible things that have come directly or indirectly from looking at 2 cards. Not gonna lie, it was highly satisfying clearing my credit card after winning the Primo! Slightly off topic....I know you're well travelled....have you been to Kenya? I've seen some absurdly cheap flights to Nairobi, and always fancied doing a safari...
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Afraid not hhy, I've only been to South/Central America :) no cheap flights there though :(
    I've always felt a bit weird about the idea of Safari's...

Thanks for popping by! ;)

• edited June 2014
    This has become easily the best read on here MrsDuck. Your posts are always honest and interesting. Seems like you're a bit rubbish at betting on football though :) I think it's a good decision to not really set any rigid goals. I have a loose figure I want to get to each month but don't really worry if I don't get there. I hugely endorse 'treats'. It's a fantastic feeling when you buy something that may not ordinarily purchase with poker winnings.  I've never had a bankroll online really. I just put money in when I want to play and take it out when I'm done. I don't understand the point in working really hard to get a large bankroll but never actually enjoying it.  My approach obviously isn't very disciplined but at the same time it's good because I don't see it fluctuate all the time and put pressure on myself. Keep up the good work :)
    Posted by Jac35
    ERRRRRRRR I beg to differ!

21/04
    Easy weekend's profit!
    Day 20

£5.00
    1. Hull v Arsenal Arsenal 3-0 @ 60/1
    2. Hull v Arsenal Aaron Ramsey @ 60/1

Day 20 + £300 0PP

Total BR £749.83 1727PP
    Total days challenge met 13

Back tomorrow for poker :)

:P

• edited June 2014
    I like these posts very much. I am currently pondering what to do with my BR but plan to take the game a little seriously. Probably make a post after my final exam in the morning :-)
    Posted by Matt237
    Hope you crushed your final exam...now time to party!!
  • edited June 2014
    GOOD LUCK DUCKY!!!

(*  *)
       ^
    DEV
  • edited June 2014
    Are you the khaleesi of ducks???

Im.more of a tyrian kinda guy.
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: A Game of Ducks:
    Are you the khaleesi of ducks??? Im.more of a tyrian kinda guy.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    OF COURSE.....
    I'm a Water Dancer!!!!
    "This is the Bravo's Dance, the Water Dance. It is swift... and sudden!"
    ―Syrio Forel
    QUACK!
  • edited June 2014
    Liking the philosophical posts Mrs D. I think the targets people put on themselves pokerwise can make people lose sight of what they are doing. when you first start playing poker it's for the enjoyment. If you are lucky or skillful enough to start winning money and become a winning reg, the focus gets switched to the money and the enjoyment diminishes. As long as you don't need poker winning to pay the bills then enjoy the fruits of your labour �� 

I completely understand your attitude towards money. It has always fascinated me about people unquestionable faith in pieces of worthless paper or numbers on a screen. 

A bit off topic but if you want something to ponder have a look into "the straw man illusion" and also the creation of money. Absolutely mind blowing. 

Enjoy your winnings Mrs D
  • edited June 2014
    VAMOS COLOMBIA!

*Well done my 2nd home!!! <3

now -

COME ON ENGLAND!

Ps Bet on Wellbeck...he's actually playing right?!?