You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The "I will be a half decent cash player before I die" thread..............EDIT: I WON'T

edited June 2014 in Poker Chat
very best of luck buddy i`m sure you will suceed this time round :)

Comments

• edited June 2014
    I have decided to give have a second attempt at playing on the cash tables on a regular basis, this may be something I later regret!

Last time I tried it wasn't great, I got a spanking most sessions. I'm pretty sure the main reason for this was because I jumped straight in at 30nl against far more competent cash players. I had never really played cash and quickly discovered it was such a different format of the game........I was out of my depth and it cost me a few hundred quid to finally swallow my pride and go back to playing mtts with my tail between my legs!

So, this time I am going to do what I should have done last time, start at the bottom to try and learn and hopefully work my through the levels. I will be starting at 10nl and will be recording the results of each session on this thread as well as posting any hands that I'm unsure of (prob a lot of hands!!)

I will still be playing mtts on the side and will also post any decent cashes on here (although there haven't been any for a while!)

There are many decent cash players on the forum so would love advice or abuse on any hands that I post. I really want to improve at this format because I rarely have time to play mtts during the week, so instead of not playing at all it would be good to have a couple of hours on the cash tables.

Gl at the tables all
  • edited May 2014
    Well you're definitely not going to do it after you die! ;-D

• edited May 2014
    I suggest you take it slowly through the levels and just concentrate on playing better poker than everyone around you as cash is more of a patient discipline as there is no end goal (like an mtt) just playing consistent. 

Good luck. 
  • edited May 2014
    Like this thread. 

I am also trying too give cash a go. Although not 10nl I am currently playing 8nl. And posting my stats of my session on my diary. Is it ok too post here aswell also looking for any advice with hands posted? Currently 9nly 1 table of cash at the minute. I seem too get involved way too much and trying as craig sais above. Be far mote dicaplined. 

I can multitable dyms reasonably comfortable. But not so much with the cash games. 2 max for me. But 1 just now as im trying too take a lot of information on the players at the table and focus on what hands I play. Position im in and more importantly folding at the right times and giving up when i feel unsure  where I am. 

Gl waller.
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Ryan,

All the best with cash this time around.

I would be happy to watch you play for 40mins-1 hour followed by 30 -45 mins of feedback if you wanted.

You would need Skype and a screen sharing software like Joinme. If you don't have these they take 2 minutes to download.
  • edited May 2014
    Chris happy to do the same for you too.

If it's something either of you are interested in send me a pm.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: The "I will be a half decent cash player before I die" thread:
    Hi Ryan, All the best with cash this time around. I would be happy to watch you play for 40mins-1 hour followed by 30 -45 mins of feedback if you wanted. You would need Skype and a screen sharing software like Joinme. If you don't have these they take 2 minutes to download.
    Posted by LARSON7

how much u charge for coaching :) 

• edited May 2014

a pint, will be fine:)

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: The "I will be a half decent cash player before I die" thread:
    a pint, will be fine:)
    Posted by LARSON7
    now that would only happen if your advice got me a profit :)

would be good to meet up with some of the local players though, just couldn't make it last time :(
  • edited May 2014
    very best of luck buddy i`m sure you will suceed this time round :)
    Posted by liamboi11
    Cheers mate. Best of luck to you tomorrow will keep my eyes peeled for the result
  • edited May 2014
    Well you're definitely not going to do it after you die! ;-D
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Lol no I guess not but you know what I mean!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re thread:
    I suggest you take it slowly through the levels and just concentrate on playing better poker than everyone around you as cash is more of a patient discipline as there is no end goal (like an mtt) just playing consistent.  Good luck. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Cheers for the advice Craig. Yeah I'm in no hurry to move up the levels, I will only move up if/when I have been crushing my current level for a considerable amount of time.
  • edited May 2014
    Like this thread.  I am also trying too give cash a go. Although not 10nl I am currently playing 8nl. And posting my stats of my session on my diary. Is it ok too post here aswell also looking for any advice with hands posted? Currently 9nly 1 table of cash at the minute. I seem too get involved way too much and trying as craig sais above. Be far mote dicaplined.  I can multitable dyms reasonably comfortable. But not so much with the cash games. 2 max for me. But 1 just now as im trying too take a lot of information on the players at the table and focus on what hands I play. Position im in and more importantly folding at the right times and giving up when i feel unsure  where I am.  Gl waller.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Alright Chris, yeah feel free to post any hands as it would be good for me to see what advice is being given out too. As far as multitabling goes, I'm only going to play 2-3 myself because my laptop is getting on a bit and it can't seem to cope with anymore these days!! I have tried defragmenting it etc. but still no joy, I think I need a new one!

Gl with your games mate
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Ryan, All the best with cash this time around. I would be happy to watch you play for 40mins-1 hour followed by 30 -45 mins of feedback if you wanted. You would need Skype and a screen sharing software like Joinme. If you don't have these they take 2 minutes to download.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Really appreciate the offer mate and I would normally snap your hand off but my laptop can't even handle 4 tables before the fans start working overtime and the lag kicks in. I don't think it would be able to run with screen sharing software running alongside it and I don't want to risk it. I will be posting plenty of hands though I'm sure so please give advice because I need as much as possible!!!

BTW.....congrats on the Best of the Best promo. Your seat is locked up for sure so I take it you are laying off £5.50+ mtts for the rest of the month? I know I would be if I was in your position!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: The "I will be a half decent cash player before I die" thread : Alright Chris, yeah feel free to post any hands as it would be good for me to see what advice is being given out too. As far as multitabling goes, I'm only going to play 2-3 myself because my laptop is getting on a bit and it can't seem to cope with anymore these days!! I have tried defragmenting it etc. but still no joy, I think I need a new one! Gl with your games mate
    Posted by waller02
    ive just fully restored my desktop today, working much better now, have u tried a full restore
    waller?
  • edited May 2014
    I will be playing my first cash session shortly. Have just watched the Spanish title decider wasn't the best game tbh but pleased for Atletico (even though their manager is a tool!). Have FA cup final extra time to watch too which is a bouns, come on Hull........always routing for the underdog!!

Played a £400BH this afternoon and finished 3rd
    waller0203£35.44 + £8.13 Head Prizes2 
    Also noticed I was 20th in the Best or the Best promo and that was before this result so with a bit of run good perhaps I have an outside chance of sneaking into the top 10. I very much doubt it as there are some pretty impressive ROIs up there, but stranger things have happened!!!

Going to finish watching the match and then have my first session on the cash tables.........
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: The "I will be a half decent cash player before I die" thread : ive just fully restored my desktop today, working much better now, have u tried a full restore waller?
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Is that the system restore thingy?? If so, then yes I have tried that. I think my laptop is just old!!! The fans start screaming at me, the tables start to lag and the laptop even sometimes overheats and switches off!

I know very little about computers but even I know that it's time to buy a new one. Going on holiday in August though so all my spare cash is going towards that atm
  • edited May 2014
    In fact the cash session is gonna have to wait...........there is only ONE table running atm, must be the nice weather or summat!

EDIT: Playing 3 tables now........fingers crossed
  • edited May 2014
    Right first cash session is over, I played 3 tables for about 2 and half hours and unsurprisingly it was a losing session. I sit down and before long 2 regs that you really don't want to see on your table arrive..........Flashflush and Rancid. Long story short....Rancid pulled my pants down and smacked my botty, although my play certainly gave him a helping hand! This guy is by far one of the best regs at this level, if not THE best........IMO

Basically, I stacked off twice against him..........won't post the hands no need. First one was a button v sb situation and I stacked off with top pair 10 kicker simply because I didn't believe him after he had previously played a hand in a similar way with a draw (although in this hand I doubt he is 3 barrelling with a hand I beat very often!). No draw this time he had 2 pair, wp him!

Second hand involved playing a flush draw perhaps slightly too aggro. By the river I had missed and led out over 3/4 pot in hope of pushing him off.............his set!!! The board was straightening and he did dwell on it but I think I should have just given up.

My other big loss is posted below........put the guy on the flush draw, maybe with a pair. Should I have just checked behind on the river or was it right to set them in long term??? Or is my river bet far too big? Should I check behind? How was the rest of the hand etc.. Have learnt there is a long way to go for my cash but I will persevere with it.
    MrFawlty Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.27
    elbows7 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.76
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

waller02 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £25.32
    rancid Fold     
    showoff1 Fold     
    FlashFlush Fold     
    MrFawlty Call  £0.25 £0.70 £11.02
    elbows7 Fold     
    Flop

MrFawlty Bet  £0.53 £1.23 £10.49
    waller02 Raise  £1.66 £2.89 £23.66
    MrFawlty Call  £1.13 £4.02 £9.36
    Turn

MrFawlty Check     
    waller02 Bet  £2.80 £6.82 £20.86
    MrFawlty Call  £2.80 £9.62 £6.56
    River

• J

MrFawlty Check     
    waller02 Bet  £7.20 £16.82 £13.66
    MrFawlty All-in  £6.56 £23.38 £0.00
    waller02 Unmatched bet  £0.64 £22.74 £14.30
    MrFawlty Show

waller02 Show
    • A
    • A

MrFawlty Win Three 4s £21.34  £21.34
    So at the end of the session I was £15.42p down.......not disastrous but not great!

Total Profit/Loss: -£15.42

Gl at the tables all
  • edited May 2014
    Good luck with this mate...

I'll come to the funeral and throw in some chips for the journey ahead.!!!  :)
  • edited May 2014
    Good luck with this mate... I'll come to the funeral and throw in some chips for the journey ahead.!!!  :)
    Posted by devonfish5
    Cheers dev, how are you? Long time no speak!
  • edited May 2014
    Just finished a 90min session 4 tabling.

Had to stop because my laptop just froze, it really can't handle 4 tables for long before it starts overheating. I'm going to try another system restore as Chris suggested because at the time the laptop froze I was in the middle of a hand where I'm pretty sure I was ahead and I had already invested over a quid, only to get timed out!!

Anyway it was a winning session which I will always take, but I still have a long way to go before I can call myself a competent cash player. I feel I may be too spewy in certain spots!!

Here is a hand from earlier: The oppo is one of the good regs and had been raising pre a lot! I call the flop because he doesn't have to have the ace and I wanted to reassess on the turn. Then turn gives me 2 pair....should I be raising here?? Is the river a call, raise or even fold?? Thoughts on the hand in general please.
    PearllJosh Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £19.12
    supercrazy Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £12.74
      Your hole cards
    • J

Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £13.26
    Carnage Fold     
    waller02 Call  £0.30 £0.75 £9.70
    CraigSG1 Fold     
    PearllJosh Fold     
    supercrazy Fold     
    Flop

• A

Bet  £0.38 £1.13 £12.88
    waller02 Call  £0.38 £1.51 £9.32
    Turn

• J

Bet  £0.76 £2.27 £12.12
    waller02 Call  £0.76 £3.03 £8.56
    River

Bet  £2.27 £5.30 £9.85
    waller02 Call  £2.27 £7.57 £6.29
     Show
    • Q

waller02 Muck
    • J

Win Straight to the Queen £7.00  £16.85
    Anyway that was my biggest losing hand of the session.

Session Profit/loss: +£11.12
    Total Profit/loss: -£4.30
  • edited May 2014
    The hand on page 1 is a check behind yeah.

One above is - Call/Fold >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Raise
  • edited May 2014
    The hand on page 1 is a check behind yeah. One above is - Call/Fold /> />>>>>>>>>>>>> Raise
    Posted by Matt237
    Cheers, how about on the turn though? Should I be raising?

And ty craig........I will be posting hands from each session so would be grateful for all advice, no matter how brutal. If I have played a hand so so wrong then I want to be told so I can try to improve
  • edited May 2014
    gl with the cash and i' usually round if you want help.

the hand on the last page i call the flop because a big mistake made by lots of micro stakes is they lack attempts to double barrell with draws and bluffs "which are very rare themselves as most will chase them".

the hand above should be a fold on the flop and as played the turn should have got raised because now we would put him on an A a lot of the time and if you are only going to call you might as well fold the river because he won't want to triple barrell bluff and you must not have put him on just a top pair going off you decision to only call the turn.
  • edited May 2014
    Hi. Hand 1 played fine but would chck behind. We are either miles ahead and won't get value or behind most of the time. 

Hand two. Hate the call pre. Raise or fold. As played raising turn for value and as played calling reasonable bet ok. 
  • edited May 2014
    Hi. Hand 1 played fine but would chck behind. We are either miles ahead and won't get value or behind most of the time.  Hand two. Hate the call pre. Raise or fold. As played raising turn for value and as played calling reasonable bet ok. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Re Hand 2: Can I ask why you hate the call pre, you said in the build a bankroll thread that there is nothing wrong with calling in position with J9s, so why not J8s?
  • edited May 2014
    Think hand 2 is fine. Don't mind either flatting or 3betting pre. Obvs call the flop. Quite content to call the turn; keeps his value and bluffing range nicely in the hand. River is a poor card, think we generally have to pay it off though, sometimes they just get there.

Not sure about raising turn. Gonna fold out plenty of good aces, all their bluffs, probs only get action from Ax spades and better 2 pair/sets.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: The "I will be a half decent cash player before I die" thread : Re Hand 2: Can I ask why you hate the call pre, you said in the build a bankroll thread that there is nothing wrong with calling in position with J9s, so why not J8s?
    Posted by waller02
    :) double gappers are harder to make a hand with and your not garenteed to be in position either. Raising here greatly improves that and gives your trickier hand more options post. Playing the button gives you that bit more leverage/options as you are garenteed position. 

Maybe hate was the wrong word but being more proactive as your position to the button worsens isn't a bad way to go. 

Example, your never going to just call with premium hands UTG+1 but may elect to just call on button. Pretty vague but I hope you get my meaning. 
  • edited May 2014
    Cheers harry and craig....both make good points. I do need to widen my 3bet range I think and it is something I will try to adopt in future sessions.

Another session down, another losing one. Nothing major but would be nice to string a coupe of winning ones together........but I'm still learning, the game is a lot different to mtt's and I'm still trying to adapt!!

2 key hands again, won't post but will give the scenarios and see what I should have done:

1. I'm facing a 50bb 4 bet shove and I'm holding JJ. No reads/notes on oppo. Call or fold? I have seen players make similar moves with small pps, raggy suited aces, absolute junk and hands that have me crushed.

2. Again I'm facing a 4bet shove but this time for my full stack. I have AKs and no notes/reads on oppo. Call or fold?

No more cash tonight as I'm gonna play a couple of mtt's.

Session Profit/loss: -£14.51
    Total Profit/loss: -£18.81

Must improve......