You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work.

edited July 2015 in Poker Chat
Hi all

Thought I would guve myself some goals to aim for and track my progress - was going for UKPC diary but out of my new bankroll management :)

Bit about me

I am a rec player who has rediscovered my love for poker after being a trash poster previously and have community to thank for it

I live in Scotland but recently promotion sees me miving back down south to Bridgewater / Taunton area.  Live with my lovely wife to be amd expecting our first child in january :)

Played poker online for year and a half and describe myself as a loosing rec who loves the gane for what it is.  Never really set myself any long term goals, see a lot og up and coming players do this so must be a benefit.

I have left myself £12 and got £8 in reward points coming my way.  Going to use this to try spin it up to £500 playing mainly SNG at first and then using the 800 points I gained last month to try get into low level MTT's. Always watch lice shows so will try win a comp or two to help me along the way

Will also let myself rebuy once at £20 within first month.

Look forward to seeing you all on the tables

Run well

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Ok session this evening while the wifey watchs BB and CatFish (Man I hate catfish what even is that show!)

Played a total of 9 DYM's over the eve and came up £3.15 in profit and have 14 poker points to start the month off.

Ran my KK into KQ - flop j 10 9 - oh well!

Generally happy with my game - but may avoid early hour playing - some crazy play and you got to accept you have to get it in pre for a flip once a game.

• edited July 2014
    Good luck with this Nuggy.
    good brm is VERY IMPORTANT at the start, so go carefully with the mtt's i'd suggest.
    hope you get the £500 up.
    Ian.
  • edited July 2014
    Good luck with this Nuggy.

Surprised that you see the crazy play in the early hours, that's normally when I struggle to avoid half decent regs on the micro cash tables and the crazy doesn't appear until fellow recs have got back from work / put the kids to bed / done some chores for the missus etc.

And lol @ catfish - at least with that on the background you aren't going to lose much focus on the poker and make the same mistakes you might if (say) the footy was on.
  • edited July 2014
    I enjoy Catfish............oh dear lol

Good luck with this. Looking back to your trash talking days, I never expected to see such a turnaround with your attitude to the game (and site). Fair play to you mate and wish you all the best.
  • edited July 2014
    Oh a split decision on Cat fish - never thought I would see that!

Played just 6 this eve - winning 4 so always nice.

Got very lucky in my last one - being dominated to hitting two pair to suck out on guy! Hey thats poker :-)

So after a mini session sitting on another £4.20 profit takes me to £7.35 so far this month with now 32PP

Still no room for any MTT - Need at least bank roll of £60 to start thinking about the odd one!

Would rate my game as a 6/7 - getting involved with a hand should never of been in but then making a solid fold with JJ pre to keep at a steady 6.5 :-)

• edited July 2014
    So..

Played a session the other day and lost half my roll!!  Gambled on a £5.50 - crazy!!!!  not the way to do it
    However - this made me think - soon as I lost my final sng - I switched off and thought about how unlucky I was.  Did I update my post?  No!! Why?  because unlucky?  NOPE!! Because I played the wrong levels for my bank roll and was embbarressed!  So I spent yesterday looking over my hands - man did I get involved with some shockers - So yes I was unlucky in the hands I busted in BUT.........  If I had played correctly I would not of had to commit myself to AQ / KQ / 10 10 pre flop in the middle stages!

Played just a few this eve - need to stay calm and keep it moving on up slowly slowly.

Bank roll at end of day is £16 and few pence - so just £4 loss overall - Happy with that considering lst £15 of orriginal £20 in one swoop!

Lessons learned for the week.............  BANKROLL MANAGEMENT!!  If I mess up again by playing too high I will punish myself by watching Catfish for a whole series!!

Run Well
  • edited July 2014
    Hi. Just thought I would post and wish you good luck and give you my two pence. 

Firstly, as you know, bank roll management is KEY! It is so tempting to play bigger and win bigger but the down sides are too big. The best way to get a target is ALWAYS break your end goal into small bite size pieces. 

Secondly. Patience! Stay in control, don't lose sight and concentrate on small wins. 

Can not over state the importance of BR management. Stay to small BR %'s so any set backs aren't sole destroying! Confidence is key. 

Good luck. 
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £12 plus £8 poker rewards to £500 Diary:
    Hi. Just thought I would post and wish you good luck and give you my two pence.  Firstly, as you know, bank roll management is KEY! It is so tempting to play bigger and win bigger but the down sides are too big. The best way to get a target is ALWAYS break your end goal into small bite size pieces.  Secondly. Patience! Stay in control, don't lose sight and concentrate on small wins.  Can not over state the importance of BR management. Stay to small BR %'s so any set backs aren't sole destroying! Confidence is key.  Good luck. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Very sound advise thanks fella!!!
  • edited July 2014
    Had some ups and downs yesterday - but finished on the up which is nice - All be it because I took a massive gamble - ignored all advise and played a £11 sng!! A flip away from end of challenge!! 

Had some good runs in cash games - used as an excuse when I span up a buy in for a low stakes mtt - but as I am quickly learing - I need to force the BR to £50 or £60 before making an attempt fr the odd MTT - even though I ran deep in one I busted out beofre the cash and with 0 head prizes - making the £30 BR chnge to £18 in two MTT's

Happy that currently sitting at £26 and few pence with 130 PP, all be it probably lucky to be here!!

Wil have a break today and have a good session tomorrow!! 

PS

Is trying to sat into the turbo event a good idea??  Guess my BR is still too small to be playing SATs?

PS If I win the 800millionth hand I will not count that as part of my challenge hahaha (I can dream)
  • edited July 2014
    Glad to see you are up by around £6, well done.
    remember brm?
    you shouldn't be playing anything over £1 buy-in imo
  • edited July 2014
    All the best with this Nuggy.

After your transformation, I'll be rooting for ya!
  • edited July 2014
    All the best with this Nuggy. After your transformation, I'll be rooting for ya!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thanks fella! Enjoying poker for what it is at my level - bit of fun , if make a dollar then is an added bonus :)
  • edited July 2014
    Enjoyed session this eve, watched a friend for a while and made notes on his game then took on 6 dym's, taking won 3-2 in favour on the £1 and 1 out of 1 in the £2

Lost last two in a row, AJ v KQ so very standard then (incorrectly) got involved and over shoved a short stack all in with KQ and ran into AK, short stack turned and rivered a 10 and AK busts me.

Typical example here of multI tabling and playing incorrectly for the stage of dym. 

Another good note was playing few tables with dev - we are our good luck charms winning both together,even when we was both the shorts at bubble time in one

Run well and have nice evening all
  • edited July 2014
    Keep it going mate, just look for my table & we'll both be fine  :)
  • edited July 2014
    Had a few days off due to family commitments and in the process of moving house - The dreaded moving house...... Where you loose your internet for a month...... I best grind hard in the coming weeks before the big day!! 

Moving in two stages - first to a rented in bridgwater while my new house is built :-)  Exciting times but the ever heavier pregnant fiance is surely going to crack and make my life hell... haha Love her really!!

Good few sessions - up to £40 BR now with £2 in PP to come.

Really enjoying playing within mt BR - Always seem to run better when in control of the BR (Suddenly that 3 / 4/ 5 loss streak is funny but annoying instead of turning into a another 4 / /6 loss streak at higher level trying to win back)

Going to hit Sharky and have a plat and do a mini month total update and see where is going well and what gaps need a plugging!

Hope all are running well - And good luck to any medium stake players and above hitting the wicked heads up promo!!

Run well
  • edited July 2014
    Nuggy played a couple with you a few days back both good games , im sure if you stick to br management you will succeed , gl at the tables m8
  • edited July 2014
    Nuggy played a couple with you a few days back both good games , im sure if you stick to br management you will succeed , gl at the tables m8
    Posted by poshcole
    Hi fella, yeah see you around a lot , we must compare notes haha

Thanks for that

Run well and see yoh on tables no doubt
  • edited July 2014
    Had one of those heater days yesterday! 4 / 4 in my dym's and few pence shy of £20 freerole winnings :)

So thought I would look into how u am doing on the sample size of DYM's played so far...

I have played 4 outside my bank role - 3× 5.5 and 1 × £11 right at start where I was down to £11 and gambled! Luckily the poor BR management DYM's give me a small profit - not analysing the results there as sample size too small and as said - should not be olaying them!! Pkayed two x mtt at 5.50 , a nice run on cash tables gave me these buy ins but will now wait to get to £100 to play the odd one ( one a week if positive week)

So here are my DYM stats so far

£1.15 played 24 profit £4.35

£2.25 played 21 in profit £16.75

£3.30 played 22 in profit £5.45

Really happy with that - is that a good return? I know sample size is still small but hopefully I am going in right direction. 

What return should I be aiming for over say 100 games in each format? Is the £3.30 a gamble for me on the return I have got?

Run well and see you at tables
  • edited July 2014
    So thats a return of 15.7% @ £1 (devon what is yours?)

A 36.2% at £2 and

7.5% at £3.3

Not sure what return is deemed as good?
  • edited July 2014
    I've no idea what mine is mate, as i've played so many games also got my c4p added to my total.
    I'm not certain but i think most winning players are around 5-7% long term, but don't quote me on that.
    I'm sure someone like jac35 might know, so might be worth going to his thread & asking him.
    so i think your £3 games are about right.
     i think you need a sample of a minimum 100 games if not more maybe 500-1000 before it becomes an accurate figure.
    looks like you are doing great, so keep it going.

• edited July 2014
    I've no idea what mine is mate, as i've played so many games also got my c4p added to my total. I'm not certain but i think most winning players are around 5-7% long term, but don't quote me on that. I'm sure someone like jac35 might know, so might be worth going to his thread & asking him. so i think your £3 games are about right.  i think you need a sample of a minimum 100 games if not more maybe 500-1000 before it becomes an accurate figure. looks like you are doing great, so keep it going.
    Posted by devonfish5

Thanks fella

I have heard the 5-7% return one that a lot aim for.

will put them all together wheb hit 100 then monitor in 100's up to 1000 and see where I am sitting.

I am one of those guys who has a sharky account so happy to have a look for you if ever you want to know? But I guess all that really matters is the BR is going up :) 

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £12 plus £8 poker rewards to £500 Diary : Thanks fella I have heard the 5-7% return one that a lot aim for. will put them all together wheb hit 100 then monitor in 100's up to 1000 and see where I am sitting. I am one of those guys who has a sharky account so happy to have a look for you if ever you want to know? But I guess all that really matters is the BR is going up :) 
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Thanks mate, yeah would be interested to know my figures.

yeah, 5-7% doesn't sound much and that might be a bit low, maybe even 8-10% is possible. 
    your figures are great so should be interesting how the next few weeks go.
    I've had some great runs which have lasted for 2 months or more but also a few bad ones too, and i had to drop down levels as it got so bad at times, so I guess it does pretty much even out in the long run.
    also c4p is/was a big factor for me on my last challenge for example i think from memory around £300 was made fron c4p alone which of course isn't included in your stats.

keep it up buddy, you are doing great.
    best wishes, dev

• edited July 2014
    Had another good session last night and today, and my run was like this heatwave - storm to start it then hot hot hot! 13 out of 13 was nice but finished day with a single bust.

What I liked most is only got lucky once which was AQ Shove to isolate the 2 limped shorts and got snapped by the other big stack who had QQ - turned an A...... when your running good huh!

Played my first 5 multi table session too with 5 in 5. Was perfect for me as was so card dead but you cant just play any old hand as have to reasses where yoh are in each dym and my mind simply couldnt do anything else than a bit of ABC.

may take evening off as do not want positive tilt to set in. But may not... ride it while good huh? 

Nuggy - Read this post when on a cooler !! VARIANCE.
    Thats just for me when the cooler comes post summer ;)

Run well all

• edited July 2014
    Great going mate...
    must be nice being Nuggy right now,  ha ha
  • edited July 2014
    The feel good stopped - The heater cooled.... all gone wrong.....

Ok so I am being dramatic haha

Lost 4 on the spin then came back with 3 on the trot

Day ended up £10 and BR healthy

Didnt like the full house over full house beat though :)
  • edited July 2014
    Could be a good race to £500 between us?  ha ha

Will my slow steady aproach win the day or will your slightly more agressive play get you there first?   ha ha

have a good day mate... but not too good  :)
  • edited July 2014
    Haha yes DevonFish sounds like a nice side challenge

I have the advantage of when running good as I play over 3 levels - but sure there will be days that hurts me haha

On the challenge fron - another goos session - playing 8, wininng 5 and winning the £2 levels loosing the £1 ones always nice.  Had some good banter on the tables today and updated a lot of my notes - even giving the colour coding a go.  Is good to see the tables at a glance the presived skill set of the player - however the actual notes help me  alot more as there are two types of bad player - the maniac loose and shove happy and the limp shover with nuts vs limp shover with air!

So another £3.45 to the total - 3 months ago I would be tilting at such a rubbish return for an hours play - now??  Lets go party!! haha

On other non Poker news.........  We are having a BABY GIRL :-)  almost cried when we was at the baby scan in Glasgow.  made for a very happy occassion!

Run well all  - see you at the tables
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £12 plus £8 poker rewards to £500 Diary - Current BR £78.95:
    Haha yes DevonFish sounds like a nice side challenge I have the advantage of when running good as I play over 3 levels - but sure there will be days that hurts me haha On the challenge fron - another goos session - playing 8, wininng 5 and winning the £2 levels loosing the £1 ones always nice.  Had some good banter on the tables today and updated a lot of my notes - even giving the colour coding a go.  Is good to see the tables at a glance the presived skill set of the player - however the actual notes help me  alot more as there are two types of bad player - the maniac loose and shove happy and the limp shover with nuts vs limp shover with air! So another £3.45 to the total - 3 months ago I would be tilting at such a rubbish return for an hours play - now??  Lets go party!! haha On other non Poker news.........  We are having a BABY GIRL :-)  almost cried when we was at the baby scan in Glasgow.  made for a very happy occassion! Run well all  - see you at the tables
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Hi Nuggy
    I'm pretty sure I can fit ito all these catogories, so your gonna need at least four colours if I start sitting at the S&G's lol

Well done on the good news btw & good luck with your challenge 
  • edited July 2014
    CONGRATULATIONS MATE on the baby front.

the most important color for me by far are the pinks = slow plays.
     once i know who these players are you can figure out how best to play them.
    my yellow players are the loose ones and there are many, who don't slow play so are easy to identify & play against.
    not to many red ones at the £1 level anyway, the good players, but i guess that is only what you might expect.
    well when i say not to many, that's an under-exageration... there aren't any.  :)

run good mate,
    dev

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £12 plus £8 poker rewards to £500 Diary - Current BR £78.95:
    In Response to Re: £12 plus £8 poker rewards to £500 Diary - Current BR £78.95 : Hi Nuggy I'm pretty sure I can fit ito all these catogories, so your gonna need at least four colours if I start sitting at the S&G's lol Well done on the good news btw & good luck with your challenge 
    Posted by POKERTREV
    haha love that mate!!