You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Overall a very good evening!

Had loads of fun at the tables - playing a variety of Mtt's this eve - Max buy in was the £22 1.5k through to the 1k £5.50 BH

Cashed in 2 of my Mtt's this out of 6 and just off the bubble in another.  Final tabled one - Lost two flips on said FT for GG in 5th

Overall for the day slightly down due to a HU £5 loss and had a pop at the £5k BH Sat and ran AK into set when shallow.

Hoping to have a grind at the HU in the week - got two days off now but think a bit of wife and daughter time is in order.  Had a load of friends over this morning and early afternoon so need a day for Us :-)

Hope all had a great Sunday / Bank Hol weekend

Matt
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work:
    Goals for May / June Teach my daughter Casey bottle feed - 3 months and won't touch a bottle, just mummy's kitchen - I want to take Ula away for an evening so feeding habbit needs a tweak :) Poker - become a break even HU player including Rake, cash a main event, final table a late night BH. (£1k, £750 etc) Spoil the mrs to a romantic surprise  Work - roll out the new company mission statement and vision to all sites across company and the board, means getting good at presentations and large public speaking Run well all Matt
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Yay

Anyone who is anyone has only truly made it when take down a 2.20 @ 2.20 :)

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work:
    In Response to 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work : Yay Anyone who is anyone has only truly made it when take down a 2.20 @ 2.20 :)
    Posted by Nuggy962
    yeah ur right

waller021600001£25.60emerson0102£16billywhu3603£9.60meatloaf1104£7.04GILLS6905£5.76
    lol
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work:
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work : yeah ur right waller02 160000 1 £25.60 emerson01 0 2 £16 billywhu36 0 3 £9.60 meatloaf11 0 4 £7.04 GILLS69 0 5 £5.76 lol
    Posted by waller02
    Very nice work sir! Next up.... Mini? Haha
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work : Very nice work sir! Next up.... Mini? Haha
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Been there done that haha Wouldn't mind winning a main someday though (I can dream)!
  • edited May 2015
    Nuggy96219347.251£15k Super Roller
    Nice little bink today taking £110 from the early sat, got work tomorrow so IF a deep run happened would feel the pressure to speed things up haha

Played 5 £10 HU and got owned, lost 5! Back to £5 and back on a winning run.

Had an ok run in main and mini on Friday, but ul in 9:30.

Overall BR in good order still north £700.

Today I was super busy at home, fitting new chrome switches around the home and fighting the garden weeds and getting ready to put the floor down in the attic. My daughter has started teething we think, with her favourite game to blow bubbles at the mo :)

Run well tonight all who is playing :)
  • edited May 2015
    Tuesday is my first of two main and mini days - with second normally a Friday

Main - not much to tell - ran ok - made it to half 9 and sadly fell in my quest for the jackpot

Loaded up half 9 - one head and twice got it in vs a pp into a flip - twice hit one of my 6 outs... twice they set up :-)  Then got trolled by some guy which was entertaining.  called me a $10 pro - I was very happy with that

Alas was down to mini to save the day. Solid at start - early double up with QQ followed by a no value AA.  Villian new to table, 3k starting stack, blinds 10 / 20.  he raises up to 200. happy days i got AA - i think  shove gets called here a lot....... nope snap folded DOH!!

Anyway - played ABC on loose tables - aggro on the tight ones and maxed my chips around the bubble (All though lasted 3 hands) was in top 10 most of night - down to 30 - got lucky.  Guy ran his AA into my 99 and I got that magic set.

Went second - stayed 1st through 3rd until FT - pushed chips around on FT bubble and mad eit too a mini FT.

Went quick - was at level 26 so max blinds - got heads up vs the mtt leader since last 12 - was 2-1 down - went 2-1 up - made a loose call with Q9 vs his AQ - 

few hands later - my Q8 into AQ again for gg

had a blast again - off to give my daughter a kiss goodnight and try not wake the mrs - sleep is worth more to her than gold these days - which reminds me - I got to present to the board of directors tomorrow and is a 3 hours drive to HO - best get some kip too!!

Run well all

Nuggy96202£188.64 + £32.81 Head Prizes
  • edited May 2015
    So half way into the month update.

Life is being kind. Car running well (massive petrol nut and can be seen most days cleaning the car and listening to to 4.2 V8 purrrrrrrr) and with some nice weather got to go out for a proper drive :)
    Work been tough but certainly see the plan coming together. Hired two new department managers today, they will be in the business ASAP, one was an internal promotion which is always nice to see :)
    Not sure I have spoilt the good lady enough. She has her eye on a watch, offered to get it, instead got told to play poker and if I I win enough can be her present.... Def not the most romantic way of doing things..... I feel a mid week break in order :)

Poker wise, can not grumble. I only ever have the time to play a cluster of HU and opt for the hypers. I have played just over a 100 this year at £5.25 level, up £50 so happy with that return, such a small sample, if I can keep that win rate up will take it :) still playing max two at once, normally one. Keeps it more fun that way. Increase is nice but not my goal. 

Run well all

• edited May 2015

Enjoying this Diary, Nuggy, it's got exactly the right "balance", I can't read Diaries which are back to back flop stories, so it's great to see the "domestic" stuff, and in particular, the Business stuff. I was in Business for a very long time, & I loved every minute, so I still eagerly read all the Business News.

"Work - roll out the new company mission statement and vision to all sites across company and the board, means getting good at presentations and large public speaking
    "
    Especially interested in that (emboldened, above), which was something I had to learn to master, & eventually became comfortable with. As a teenager, I had the most dreadful stammer, so it was all a bit traumatic at first, but fortunately, my stammer disappeared. Had it not done so, life would have been rather different.

Sorry if I missed it earlier in the Diary, but what line of Business are you in?  

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work.:
    Car running well (massive petrol nut and can be seen most days cleaning the car and listening to to 4.2 V8 purrrrrrrr) and with some nice weather got to go out for a proper drive :)
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Same here. Miss the V8s I had a couple of years ago.
    4.2 - Audi?

• edited May 2015
    Public speaking; reportedly the biggest fear in the UK, followed by fear of flying.

So giving a speech to a packed B747 whilst in the air would push many Brits over the edge :)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work.:
    Public speaking; reportedly the biggest fear in the UK, followed by fear of flying. So giving a speech to a packed B747 whilst in the air would push many Brits over the edge :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Reminds me of the Seinfeld gag:

According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you’d rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy.

• edited May 2015
    Sorry if I missed it earlier in the Diary, but what line of Business are you in?    
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi TK, no not mentioned, (I don't think anyway). I work for one of the motorway service station networks. Started my days off at 16 "flipping burgers" at mcdonalds (but you NEVER actually flip them) in Abingdon. They was very kind to me, got moved around a bit and turned me from a very bashful kid to a manager of my own store in 5 years. Loved every minute of it! By time I was 23, I was career Hungary and wanted to move up to area management role. McDonald's was going through there huge business model change and selling off most stores to go down the franchise route. I made the decision that as I didn't have the roll to buy my own store, and that area manager role was now going to be touch as they needed less as had less stores, I would venture into the unknown.

So my journey on the motorway network began, moved to Swindon as a manager of a department in the services, moved from catering to retail side for experience. And over the last 7 years worked way through the business (and country working in Scotland for 2 years) 

With the public speaking, is something you learn to "love". The more you do it, the more confident you are that what you are saying is interesting and the better you are prepared. At a conference we was taught that to increase your comfort zone, you have to step outside the one you are in and make it bigger.  And try and apply that to my life as much as possible, the shyness will always be there, but instead of it holding you back, I use it to force me forwards :) I remember reading a few posts on how you overcame your stammer - amazing stuff and shows how little we really understand our own bodies at times. The brain is truly fascinating, powerful and scary! If you ever find out what makes your brain tell your body to go hot and blush at the most insignificant things I will be all ears :) (but probably red)

• edited May 2015
    The brain is truly fascinating, powerful and scary! If you ever find out what makes your brain tell your body to go hot and blush at the most insignificant things I will be all ears :) (but probably red)
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Just walking up the stairs for me
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work. : Same here. Miss the V8s I had a couple of years ago. 4.2 - Audi?
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Hi mate, yes had the Audi s5 coupe. Loved every second, (except when clutch went or needed a new tyre). Handled like a dream.
    When we was expecting our first child instructions from my better half was needed to get a "family" car. I asked what this meant and asked for a brief on the matter...

She said.. Has to have a boot big enough for pram, must feel safe to drive, must have 4 doors and prefer a automatic this time.

So I set about my challenge. BMW 4 series looked simply brilliant but so new too expensive and I would only end up wrapping my daughter up in protective sheets so not to mark the seats :)

Ended up settling on. Jag XF. Ticked all of the wife to be boxes. Boot was a golf club boot - perfect for pram :) big car so safe (looking anyway) had 4 doors, (not 5 as boot not a proper opening one, maybe she should of been specific) and found an auto one.
    At no point was engine size a mentioned, so the 4.2 v8 version was again brought :) 
    In all honesty - not the same car or engine as the Audi, can not compare. Jag is a far better drive for work up and down the motorway network, is faster to accelerate but put it in a track? Audi would breeze to a win.... But hey, not bad for a "family" car I guess haha :)
    What cars you drive?
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work. : Reminds me of the Seinfeld gag:   According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you’d rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Haha lot of love for this you two :)

Not sure which one is better, I like the plan gag, but I do like a darker joke too.... Only one way to find out..........

FiGHT ;)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work. : Hi mate, yes had the Audi s5 coupe. Loved every second, (except when clutch went or needed a new tyre). Handled like a dream. When we was expecting our first child instructions from my better half was needed to get a "family" car. I asked what this meant and asked for a brief on the matter... She said.. Has to have a boot big enough for pram, must feel safe to drive, must have 4 doors and prefer a automatic this time. So I set about my challenge. BMW 4 series looked simply brilliant but so new too expensive and I would only end up wrapping my daughter up in protective sheets so not to mark the seats :) Ended up settling on. Jag XF. Ticked all of the wife to be boxes. Boot was a golf club boot - perfect for pram :) big car so safe (looking anyway) had 4 doors, (not 5 as boot not a proper opening one, maybe she should of been specific) and found an auto one. At no point was engine size a mentioned, so the 4.2 v8 version was again brought :)  In all honesty - not the same car or engine as the Audi, can not compare. Jag is a far better drive for work up and down the motorway network, is faster to accelerate but put it in a track? Audi would breeze to a win.... But hey, not bad for a "family" car I guess haha :) What cars you drive?
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Funnily enough I'm in a Jag now too (just a boring V6 though!). It was my daily run-around which I've ended up staying with. Always been a BMW man. M3.. M3 CSL .. The V8s were BMW - E92 M3 Coupe and an E92 M3 GTS (orange monster). Shame I couldn't keep that as the values are getting better as there seems to be only about 7 in the country.

• edited May 2015
    Another goal marked off, cashed the main this eve. Had some great banter all the way along which was great. Totally messed up my exit, had top 4 stack with 19 left, 3 bet wide, continued and got reraised so had to fold, then got stubborn with 88 on 9 high board, then next hand run k9 into KQ for gg and 17th

Over the moon, again offered that result at the start I snap.

So now I really must 

A) set more goals
    B) sort this romantic plan out for the mrs

Run well - have a nice Sunday - off to a christening for me

• edited May 2015
    Another goal marked off, cashed the main this eve. Had some great banter all the way along which was great. Totally messed up my exit, had top 4 stack with 19 left, 3 bet wide, continued and got reraised so had to fold, then got stubborn with 88 on 9 high board, then next hand run k9 into KQ for gg and 17th Over the moon, again offered that result at the start I snap. So now I really must  A) set more goals B) sort this romantic plan out for the mrs Run well - have a nice Sunday - off to a christening for me
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Yeah should realy fold that hand pre mate ; )

Glad you put my chips to use GG
  • edited May 2015
    Yesterday railed whitebeast in the roller early stages and then followed some really good sky regs in the middle stages to make notes and learn.

Biggest job yesterday was finishing the garden project. Needed to move our 8ft shed (shed was being selfish and getting all the sun) and this meant taking it all apart. This was when you realise what great friends and work colleagues are all about. Had mentioned before my holiday to the cleaning team about my plans for my hol. Low and behold I get a call asking if I needed a hand. They came over, with much better tools than I, and made an all day job into a 3 hour one. 

Would they accept anything as a thanks? Nope, not a bean! 

Which made me think about how many times I have been given, or seen others getting given great advise on the community for no personal gain from the players.  A lot has been said of the community side dropping.... Yeah sure lost a few regulars but gained a lot of nice new people of late too.

On the poker front, just stuck to the few HU I can squeeze in, is all about the main and mini tomorrow :)

Got to dash, the blind people are on there way over to measure up :) 

Have a great day all
  • edited May 2015
    Yesterday railed whitebeast in the roller early stages and then followed some really good sky regs in the middle stages to make notes and learn. Biggest job yesterday was finishing the garden project. Needed to move our 8ft shed (shed was being selfish and getting all the sun) and this meant taking it all apart. This was when you realise what great friends and work colleagues are all about. Had mentioned before my holiday to the cleaning team about my plans for my hol. Low and behold I get a call asking if I needed a hand. They came over, with much better tools than I, and made an all day job into a 3 hour one.  Would they accept anything as a thanks? Nope, not a bean!  Which made me think about how many times I have been given, or seen others getting given great advise on the community for no personal gain from the players.  A lot has been said of the community side dropping.... Yeah sure lost a few regulars but gained a lot of nice new people of late too. On the poker front, just stuck to the few HU I can squeeze in, is all about the main and mini tomorrow :) Got to dash, the blind people are on there way over to measure up :)  Have a great day all
    Posted by Nuggy962
    You sure about that? :-)
  • edited May 2015
    Cheeky deep run in half 9 last night. Really enjoying the game at present.

Made a bad call in main as I let the table dynamics dictate my game. Was playing fast and furious, great fun to watch, not so to be involved. Took two heads and was out all with in the first hour (two heads were for 1k, both short) then reraised KQ and got it all in vs a check shove on k,J,8 rainbow, new should of folded, crazily put him on a draw or rubbish k (seen all in call with k 2 from same guy) always a fold so deep though, no need to call 60bigs early doors. Showed me J8 for gg.

Mini took two heads, bluffed wrong time and left me short for a flip later and gg

HU - well that was not a good day - variance and some poor bet sizing to let them get there cost me. Had fun though in the main, got a question on trolling on the forum, happened to me and a reg guy I talk to about poker on and off the tables.

Today the good lady is getting her hair cut - is in Weston, half hour drive and will take 4 hours!! This means the mrs will leave me home alone for this time so the dreaded bottle feed HAS to happen today! Ahhhh feel under prepped, no bottle no food for Casey, which means crying baby for last hour haha.

Have a great day all - I may be a tad stressed by the end of mine haha
  • edited May 2015
    Last game of the week for me today as got Dad staying over Thursday night, Mum Friday and a 1 year old party on the Saturday (joys of parent hood, get invited to all the heavy nights)

Today I went mad on the garden, got my rattan furniture ordered and being delivered Friday, built the outside heater (basically a huge fire but controlled in a very big tin lol), put a 3ft security pin in and chained it up! To say the customer service at B&Q was poor is an understatement. Kids huh! 

Got my lady her surprise present today :) can't wait to get the phone call when at work Tuesday when it is delivered :) all thanks to poker too :) a good April / May led to a double BR to £1k. As I am not trying to build the roll, just play for fun thought better of taking out and half for my daughter bank and half for a surprise for my lady :) 

So tonight's poker, mini was fun but short, shorty shoves for 1k, I reshove my QQ thinking happy days, lamboi calls me..... Oops lol, AA vs AK vs QQ for gg

Main, got up to 9k early and lving life, had another mtt up £500 guaranteed, took eye of main and blinds caught up, shoved QJ (13bb) on button and snapped by Darts K6 for gg

£500 mtt was FT bubble boy :) so close for another Ft but no complaints :) 

Have a great week all, I will no doubt rail the amazing weekend for Vegas!!! Come around so quick 
  • edited May 2015

Nuggy,

Did you catch the recent series on BBC, "Secret Life of the Motorway"?

If not, you ought to try & catch it in the BBC I-Player. Really excellent.

It's the history of British Motorways, & Episode 2 (of 3) in particular, majored on Motorway Service Stations, from when they first opened, at least half of the Show was about them.

It was utterly fascinating, an opinion you would share, though not many others, I suspect.
  • edited May 2015
    Nuggy, Did you catch the recent series on BBC, "Secret Life of the Motorway"? If not, you ought to try & catch it in the BBC I-Player. Really excellent. It's the history of British Motorways, & Episode 2 (of 3) in particular, majored on Motorway Service Stations, from when they first opened, at least half of the Show was about them. It was utterly fascinating, an opinion you would share, though not many others, I suspect.
    Posted by Tikay10
    That should get the baby to sleep no problem, good call Tikay.
  • edited May 2015

^^

Marv........
  • edited May 2015
    Nuggy, Did you catch the recent series on BBC, "Secret Life of the Motorway"? If not, you ought to try & catch it in the BBC I-Player. Really excellent. It's the history of British Motorways, & Episode 2 (of 3) in particular, majored on Motorway Service Stations, from when they first opened, at least half of the Show was about them. It was utterly fascinating, an opinion you would share, though not many others, I suspect.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi TK, thank you for the recommendation, was a bit slow at times but I am fascinated with how far the uk has come in such a short time. Bring back those days where the services were full but roads are empty! Oh and the whole no speed limit bit :)

My dad is 82, I never knew motorways did not excisit when he first passed his test. This ended up in a fair few hours conversation this eve as I invited him over to watch and stay over. Sleep over with dad, daughter asleep and wifey out with friends. Perfect eve........

But I topped it, dad went to bed at 9 so loaded up mini, half 9 and £22 £1.5k BH.  Another small cash but again super happy with that. Ul to go out 25bb effective with my kk vs AK all in pre for gg.

Great evening of good TV, great company and a few hours entertainment waiting for good lady to come home :)

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work. : Hi TK, thank you for the recommendation, was a bit slow at times but I am fascinated with how far the uk has come in such a short time. Bring back those days where the services were full but roads are empty! Oh and the whole no speed limit bit :) My dad is 82, I never knew motorways did not excisit when he first passed his test. This ended up in a fair few hours conversation this eve as I invited him over to watch and stay over. Sleep over with dad, daughter asleep and wifey out with friends. Perfect eve........ But I topped it, dad went to bed at 9 so loaded up mini, half 9 and £22 £1.5k BH.  Another small cash but again super happy with that. Ul to go out 25bb effective with my kk vs AK all in pre for gg. Great evening of good TV, great company and a few hours entertainment waiting for good lady to come home :)
    Posted by Nuggy962
    I thought the Shows were, in effect, a social history of England over the last 50 years, & utterly fascinating to see how times & habits have changed. In those days, the Motorway itself, & Service Stations, were destinations in themselves.

What shall we do at the weekend, Dear?

We could go for a ride up the Motorway if you like

Ooh yes, wonderful.

And another thing, we could spend the afternoon at a Motorway Service Station.

Really? Oh my, that would be fantastic, a real treat.

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: 2015 diary - Goal - profitable in life, sensible in poker, crazy in love, and lucky in work. : I thought the Shows were, in effect, a social history of England over the last 50 years, & utterly fascinating to see how times & habits have changed. In those days, the Motorway itself, & Service Stations, were destinations in themselves. What shall we do at the weekend, Dear? We could go for a ride up the Motorway if you like Ooh yes, wonderful. And another thing, we could spend the afternoon at a Motorway Service Station . Really? Oh my, that would be fantastic, a real treat.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    How things do change...... Certainly not those vibes now a days 
  • edited May 2015
    First day back at work today, very busy as the lovely weather weekend brought everyone out thus a busy day on the roads this afternoon.

Poker wise, played a lot yesterday to tune of about £50 down, good fun though, few close runs in super roller sat but no real charge in an mtt.

Loved railing the main event and VLV final. Atmosphere was great and anyone who was anyone was there, even if bhoys and da.g was having some strange convo's haha.

Main and mini today with a splash of 21:30 £11 on the menu today.

Run well all