You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKOPS Player of the festival

Comments

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival:
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : So how would that work from a visual point of view? After Day One you will have a list of hundreds of players to present on the forum - effectively everyone who has played.
    Posted by Slipwater

Given that the winner would definitely have cashed in five tournaments, 
    it seems reasonable to use that as entry criteria for the competition.
    Publishing the top ten totals which meet that stipulation should be enough to show people what they need to beat-(there's only one prize after all)

Not that it matters anymore...    
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : Given that the winner would definitely have cashed in five tournaments,  it seems reasonable to use that as entry criteria for the competition. Publishing the top ten totals which meet that stipulation should be enough to show people what they need to beat-(there's only one prize after all) Not that it matters anymore...    
    Posted by poppy765
    Every day you would still need to post and include everyone for completeness.

And of course it matters - it's a debate.
  • edited December 2014
    2 tiers is not what is wanted.
    Posted by aussie09
    Why not? I pointed out some major flaws in your idea. Someody that plays 5 events and wins 4 of them gets 20 points, yet somebody that plays 33 events and min cashes in 21 events. Or somebody final tables 5 events they play and only gets 10 points yet somebody again plays 33 events and min cashes in just 11 events will beat them. If you only play 5 events and FT all 5 of them then under my initial points system that would give you 15 points and a very real chance of winning it (which should be the case as this is a great achievment)

To answer slipwater's point about coming 19th in a lower field tournament and 70th in a higher field - yes, both are similar achievments!! You have to get through the same % of the field in each because that's how cashing is worked out. Finishing 568th in the WSOP main event is enough to cash. Are you saying that min-cashing in 19th on sky in a low field is far better because 19th is a much lower place? Cmon.. it's all relative. 

Looking at your point system it does seem to work out all right - I don't think it's a necessity to get a point for cashing and in all honesty I'm fine with your system but I think it should be based on best X events. 
  • edited December 2014

here's an illustration of what i suggest.

to give a worked example i have looked at the main, mini, the 9pm BH and the 10:30 BH for each night in december.  4 games over 7 nights = 28 games. 

this is the leaderboard.  there were 3,103 entrants.

cash FT 3rd 2nd won pld score
    PhilAny2_Q 2       2 20 12
    Tsaaaar 2       2 14 12
    MattBates       1 1 26 9
    slurpit1 1     2   13 9
    Bawfizzle     1   1 9 8
    snoxx11     1   1 20 8
    jordz16 3       1 14 8
    LmfaoAllin 2 1   1   18 8
    Nutter5932 2 1   1   10 8
    rancid 4     1   11 8
    HotTramp   1     1 8 7
    StayOrGo 2       1 15 7
    NooGooood 3     1   10 7
    nozz3r 1 1   1   5 7

this is what it would look like after 28 events. 

with UKOPS there would be 5 events still to play.  if you want to win the UKPC seat you will have a clear picture of what you need to do over the final 5 games.

1 point if cashing
    2 points if FT
    3 points if third
    4 points second
    5 points first

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : Every day you would still need to post and include everyone for completeness. And of course it matters - it's a debate.
    Posted by Slipwater

I'm sure people could remember (or look up) their best five results so I think a top ten would be sufficient to show what they need to shoot for.
    If after two days noones on the leaderboard it's simply an added incentive for people to get involved.  

Anyway, it's a bunch of thankless work (whatever the scoring system), so thanks in advance!
  • edited December 2014
    I guess it rests on what Sky want - they are offering the prize.

Alot of good points have been made on here, so I think it is about time Sky gave a bit more guidance.

Do they want to reward someone who plays high volume with consistent results

Or do they want to reward someone who gets a 2/3 very high finishes in the M/E bigger buy-ins.

Realistically would Sky want a "player of the festival" being someone who never FTed or even entered a M/E?

The OP states they have their own ideas about rewarding based on buy-in and runners which as others have stated tend to be inversely proportional.

Personally I would rather this prize went to someone who put the volume in and played a lot of tournaments AND got some "impressive" results - not just a bunch of min cashes but 1 or 2 wins or a few FTs.

I think you definitely want a system that encourages people to keep trying if they havent got anything in the first 2 days - which to me would mean skewing points to wins/FTs and needs people who have started well to keep playing to try and improve their score/defend their position.

As things stand I think I prefer Slips version for weighting to the better finishes, however Aussies is the simplest, I dont think any as stand though show any bias towards the bigger events, which I suspect Sky want, though they have only hinted at that in the OP.

To do that you would either have to have say double points for a M/E - or maybe if you do go down the capping 5 best scores, specify that one of them has to be a M/E to count? At least with that last suggestion you are guaranteed the winner will have at least one strong M/E finish and recs do have opportunities to enter M/Es cheaply via satellites so it does not exclude them.

Anyway - glad I have dont the problem of chosing the scheme - thankless job sometimes giving stuff away.

EDIT:Sigh took so long to post this I had missed Skys response above - Albeit dont think it changes much. Now that so many schemes have been proposed I hope that the formula is picked soon so everyone has the chance to get used to it and accept it before the start.
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Everybody, I appreciate everybody's input into this it has all been very interesting to read through and has highlighted the impossibility of pleasing everybody. The main focus for us is simplicity. It will be run by a member of the community who will not have the tournament results readily available to them without looking through lobbies etc.. Therefore the proposal that Slipwater has made makes sense and I know that he is happy to run this so we would be more than willing to use this. That is not to say that this has to be a final decision now but if we could have a final proposal in the next couple of days I will ensure that everything is order and we have some formalised rules and terms of the competition. Thanks Sam
    Posted by Sky_SamT
    That gives you plenty of time to engrave a 'player of the festival' bracelet!

• edited December 2014
    The inherent problem with doubling the points for a Main Event win is that you widen the (already large) gap between the higher and lower stakes players, because those winners will be more likely to be playing more events anyway. You therefore are reducing the incentive (and the opportunities) for the little guys to progress.

I agree that the 'Player of the Festival' should probably, ceterus paribus, have won a Main Event, but let's not bring a gun to a knife fight.
  • edited December 2014
    Personally I am all for the little guy (insert your own Matt Bates joke here)

I would love it if a rec had a string of good results in smaller events and binked a seat to the UKPC

I think player of the festival would have a hollow feel if their results were made up entirely of minor events though. Dont think double points is the answer either.

But whatever the suits decide - let's just back them and get on with it, its their promotion and I can only applaud them for asking for views from the forum. 
  • edited December 2014
    Personally I am all for the little guy (insert your own Matt Bates joke here) I would love it if a rec had a string of good results in smaller events and binked a seat to the UKPC I think player of the festival would have a hollow feel if their results were made up entirely of minor events though. Dont think double points is the answer either. But whatever the suits decide - let's just back them and get on with it, its their promotion and I can only applaud them for asking for views from the forum. 
    Posted by Phantom66
    I have to agree with everything there.
  • edited December 2014
    How about having a seperate league for each level of buy in and the winner of the 5 leagues goes into a SNG along with the high roller winner and the winner of that SNG wins themselves a UKPC.
    it seems fair and gives those who are only able to directly enter micro just as much chance of entry as those who can enter all the UKOPS directly.

points system for the MTT

1point+, starting at 1 point, everytime the prize pool reaches it's next prize in the ladder the point increases by 1.

If their happens to be a tie in any league then who ever has got the greater points total in the other 4 leagues combined will win that SNG entry from his league and if we get that unlikely spot where the same person has won two leagues then the person with more points of those who finished second gets the entry on combined points of all leagues.

finally if even that doesn't give a winner they do a heads up match.
  • edited December 2014
    Bet Sky are regretting throwing this to the forum ;)
  • edited December 2014
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

THey are now!!  ;-))

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : THey are now!!  ;-))
    Posted by Glenelg
    PMSL
  • edited December 2014
    Four UKOPS Days. One thread for each individual day, with the opening post looking something along the lines of this:
    Player £1k Rebuy £2k BH £3k Deep £1k Micro £25k High £20k Main £3k Mini £4k Challenger £5k Side Total
      UKOPS Day One
    Cupid   20     1   1   20 42
    Comet     20     17   2   39
    Dancer         13 20       33
    Donner         20   11   1 32
    Rudolph 20     11           31
    Blitzen       20     6     26
    Dasher     1   4   20     25
    Prancer           1   20   21
    Vixen                 20 20
    Slipwater 1   2 1 6   4 1   15
    It would be updated as the day goes on. Obviously, with ten places 'paid', the maximum amount of players each table would collect is 80 (90 on Day One), but is more likely to be in the region of 55 - 60 with overlap. I figure this way - with four threads - it's easier for people to see what happened each day.

Each set of results would feed into the overall Player of the Festival Leaderboard, for which there would be a separate thread that the boffins at Sky Towers would pinkify for us and set at the top of the Poker Chat page, I'm sure. This is the important table, and would be the one to watch.

Thoughts?

And yes, the table is a work-in-progress.
  • edited December 2014
    very nice
    i fancy donner ftw
    if not then blitzen
    certainly not that slippy chap
    maybe next time
  • edited December 2014
    very nice i fancy donner ftw if not then blitzen certainly not that slippy chap maybe next time
    Posted by GELDY
    Cute.
  • edited December 2014
    Great Work Brian!!

Maybe Sky could Firm up a decision Now, so we all know where we stand??
  • edited December 2014
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Well it does show just how difficult it is to come up with something that is reasonably fair, & pleases people.
  • edited December 2014
    We are more than happy to proceed with Slipwater's proposal.

Like the idea of having a thread for different days and we can certainly pinkify the overall thread for you. Please let me know either on here or by PM if you have any questions.

I will get to work on same basic terms and conditions.

Thanks
  • edited December 2014
    We are more than happy to proceed with Slipwater's proposal. Like the idea of having a thread for different days and we can certainly pinkify the overall thread for you. Please let me know either on here or by PM if you have any questions. I will get to work on same basic terms and conditions. Thanks
    Posted by Sky_SamT
    Thanks Sam!!
  • edited December 2014

you might wish to tweak your scale slippy so that the size of the steps are graduated more consistently. 

you have a range                     1, 2 ,4 ,6 ,9 ,11, 13, 15, 17, 20.
    a smoother range of points is    1, 2 ,4 ,6 ,8 ,10, 12, 14, 17, 20.

• edited December 2014
    you might wish to tweak your scale slippy so that the size of the steps are graduated more consistently.  you have a range                     1, 2 ,4 ,6 ,9 ,11, 13, 15, 17, 20. a smoother range of points is    1, 2 ,4 ,6 ,8 ,10, 12, 14, 17, 20.
    Posted by aussie09
    I'm inclined to agree with that.
  • edited December 2014
    Great Work Brian!! Maybe Sky could Firm up a decision Now, so we all know where we stand??
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    You do realise UKOPs doesn't start for over 2 weeks yet, do you really need to know now 'where you stand'?
  • edited December 2014
    you might wish to tweak your scale slippy so that the size of the steps are graduated more consistently.  you have a range                     1, 2 ,4 ,6 ,9 ,11, 13, 15, 17, 20. a smoother range of points is    1, 2 ,4 ,6 ,8 ,10, 12, 14, 17, 20.
    Posted by aussie09

All depends whether you want a final table bonus point or not. 

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : All depends whether you want a final table bonus point or not. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Hmmm.... good point.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : You do realise UKOPs doesn't start for over 2 weeks yet, do you really need to know now 'where you stand'?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I said,
    'We Stand'

Yer,
     Secret Stuff mate, cannot tell you or i'd have to .....
    Opppss cannot say that!
    X

Some People giving up alot of time over Xmas, for Community, so only fair they know.
    If Honest, alot of time here too now.
  • edited December 2014
    will there be a cash equivalent if you already have a seat at UKPC??
  • edited December 2014
    I still think the 10 players scoring per event is WAY too low.
  • edited December 2014
    I still think the 10 players scoring per event is WAY too low.
    Posted by FCHD
    Twenty? Thirty?