You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKOPS Player of the festival

Comments

• edited December 2014
    if slippy had implemented his scoring system in a couple of VBA macros then I'd be happy with the idea of all cashes getting a point. But i get the feeling it's still very manual. In which case unless someone wants to write a few macros for slippy we should stick to his simpler top x system. In which case the only real question left is how many should the x be. As others have noted the biggest fields tend to be the cheaper mtts so it all evens out from a contributions perspective. 
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks for running this slippy, fwiw I'd like to see all cashes rewarded, should keep more people in the running for longer.

No need to list everyone's daily total, only your usual leader board, but it keeps people interested to know they have nicked a point here and there.

All the best,   Davy 
  • edited December 2014
    You're right Gelders - I'm not overly proficient with the Excel side of things, but I like to think I get by with the knowledge i have.

Still, I'm always open to new ideas.
  • edited December 2014
    Right folks - I want to get this nailed down by close of business on Friday the 19th, so that everything is in place for the 27th. I'm sure the suits want to sleep easily too.

Gauging the temperature of the room, the big sticking point seems to be points for cashing. Some are for; others are against. Whichever way I go, it's inevitable that those in the other camp will be disappointed... unless I can find some kind of unique middle-ground.

So get your thoughts in soon... because there will be a system and formula in place for the UKOPS Player of the Festival on Saturday morning.

How it will look is (at least in part) up to you.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival:
    Right folks - I want to get this nailed down by close of business on Friday the 19th, so that everything is in place for the 27th. I'm sure the suits want to sleep easily too. Gauging the temperature of the room, the big sticking point seems to be points for cashing. Some are for; others are against. Whichever way I go, it's inevitable that those in the other camp will be disappointed... unless I can find some kind of unique middle-ground. So get your thoughts in soon... because there will be a system and formula in place for the UKOPS Player of the Festival on Saturday morning. How it will look is (at least in part) up to you.
    Posted by Slipwater
    I don't envy you Slippy.

On a cautionary note, "middle ground" can be the worst of all world's, as you upset both ends of the spectrum of views.

Anyway, good luck, & I hope that whatever you decide is accepted with good grace by all, you are in a horrible spot here. 
  • edited December 2014
    RE:Cash/No Cash

To take the ease of calculation out of the equation - let's assume for the purposes of this post, that the collective power of the forum* can solve the making it possible to automate/semi-automate cashes IF included...

IMO the festival prize should be all about encouraging volume AND having a "worthy" winner with some commendable top place finishes.

You need two things to drive volume 

1. For those in with a shout to think it is worthwhile entering a lot of comps (especially regardless if they start well or badly and let's face it most of us will start badly)
    2. To feel participative - even if you aren't going to win can you beat your friends/rivals - can you at least get on the leaderboard in the first place - making it easier to score something becomes relevant there.

Slips M/E Mini works very well over the course of a whole year, where cashes are less significant and there are only ever going to be a handful of real contenders anyway giving the skill/volume over that sample size.

A point for cashing will depend on the overall points spread too.

Too large a spread and it loses significance
    Too small a spread and it becomes too significant

20 points ftw - not really much point having it as a decider but may encourage volume from recs to get on the board
    5 points ftw - maybe it is too significant and a serial casher could overtake winners and a few top place finishers without a top place themselves

10/12 points ftw - it will hopefully have the desired effect - ie be significant enough to encourage the volume to start and for those who have started well but also keep those in who dont start start so well. It should also mean that the winner will have to have had some top ranking finishes to win the overall title.

I think Aussie09 made some good points about ranges earlier on but hasn't posted for a while. Sounded like he knew something about stats/sampling and I would take advice from anyone with relevant experience in those areas. Stats have a real nasty way of proving "intuitive" assumptions to be completely wrong.

[*No-one volunteered after Geldy's post on automation - I could have a go but I am no expert - had a quick think about it and provided GaryQQQs thread is running which already places results up to the last cash/bubble should be possible though]

PS I for one will accept whatever system is in place with good grace having expressed my opinion and even changed it on a couple of points over the course of this thread.

• edited December 2014
    Another thing on this leaderboard thingy - how about a TEAM PRIZE? Top x finishers from one of the forum teams count?

Maybe sky could throw in some sort of reward - freeroll for the winning team + free entries into something for the top x scorers.

Will certainly keep the interest in the leaderboard going through the event in case there is a runaway leader.

Accept it will need some additional spreadsheet skillery and I am sure someone who sorts out the Team events could pitch in?

PS If it comes off can I guest for a team please?

• edited December 2014
    Completely agree the winner should be someone who puts in the volume, I have nothing at all against the prize going to someone who grinds every single UKOPS game, that's how it should be.  Why on earth should someone be able to be called player of the series if they only play a quarter of the games. I do disagree regarding not giving points to all that cash though, purely because to some extent it evens out the issue of field size a little.  In almost every tournament the top 10% will cash whether that is 20 runners in a 200 runner field, 5 runners in a 50 runner field or 100 in a 1000 runner field........ you get the idea ;) Effectively by picking a nominal number such as top 20 to score points, you're effectively saying that 20th in a 200 runner field is the same as 20th in an 800 runner field, which we all know it isn't.
    Posted by Slykllist
    So let me guess - you are in favour of all sky rake races too? 

I wll have nothing against a winner that grinds every single UKOPS game either as long as they have multiple top 10 finishes and seem deserving of. What I do have a problem with is seeing a REC make 3 final tables out of say 7/8 events they play and yet finish behind someone that has just the 1 FT but multiple cashes. 

Promotions should encourage volume but they also should give REC's chances to win prizes too. If a REC wins a prize they are likely going to talk about sky poker with their friends and potentially get new customers. If REC's never win anything they are just going to bash sky off and not recommend anyone in joining. Obviously it can't all just favour REC's because REG's give sky a lot of rake and they are just as important. Some promotions just favour one or the other but I believe this promotion has the ability to be inclusive of both. REG's still gain an advantage because a) they are generally better players and b) more events = more chance of winning. 

Phantom does make what seems like a valid point for awarding cashes in that it encourages participation because you have more of a chance of making the leaderboard and can compete with other people you know but to be honest if I had 4 cashes and 4 points I wouldn't really be bothered about who I was ahead of anyway. I'd be way down in the leaderboard anyway. 

IMO, for awarding cashes to be worthwhile and to encourage participation it would have to be with my two tier system. Lets say instead of 5, we'll go with 6 events. So only your best 6 events count (chance of someone getting way more than 6 place top 10 finishes is v v small - and if they do they have a good/great chance of winning it anyway)

So.. a points system could look like this:

1st = 6 pts
    2nd = 5 pts
    3rd/4th = 4 pts
    5th/6th = 3 pts
    7th-10th = 2 pts
    Cashing = 1 pt

Without a 2 tier system you could win 1 event and come 3rd place yet finish behind someone that has min-cashed 11 times. With the tier system you eliminate that problem. I can't find a reasonable flaw in this system at all. 

There are some hypothetical but unlikely scenarios that could occur: You could have 3 5th/6th place finishes and 7 7-10 place finishes. Which would be very deserving of a winner even if you did play all events (plus it would soften the blow of being so consistent yet so far from a "big score") and would "only" gain 15 points. Some-one else may play all events and finish 4th in 4 of them and would get 16 points. IMO the first person should be the winner here but the actual winner would be almost as deserving and so even in this hypothetical unlikely scenario it wouldn't be the end of the world.

In the event of any tie on points scored, it could go to whoever got the highest unique place finish out of them. If that's a tie we could look at all other events and add up the points. Tie breakers haven't been mentioned elsewhere but it's important to include them!

• edited December 2014
    The only "flaw" I see in my system is regarding "coding" it for Slippy. I'll have to try and think up a way to work around this - I do believe it's the best and only way to work this for including cashes though.

Actually just noticed another potential tiny problem in that the High roller may not award cashes below 10th and 7-th-10th place may not cash but that's not much of a problem we could still award them 2 pts for finishing 7th to 10th. 

• edited December 2014
    @Ivan

Points races not relevant - they are there for a different mechanism for creating rake and are only won by people with the roll and the ability to grind all day - or just enter alot of russian roulette games (different issue for a different thread).

This is for a festival winner and should not just be about volume, but it should both encourage and reward volume, without the results being biased too much towards volume alone. 

"I do have a problem with is seeing a REC make 3 final tables out of say 7/8 events they play and yet finish behind someone that has just the 1 FT but multiple cashes." 

that particular scenario may or may not happen but I expect it will take a lot more than 1 FT+cashes OR 3 FTs to win the title.

I am no expert on stats and sampling size but I do know that you cant prove or disprove the merits of one system over another by considering 1 or 2 events out of a near infinite range of possibilities and comparing outcomes. 

Take the one player cashes alot but never top finishes - its all in the statistical probability of one player in the field cashing an unusually large number of events without managing any high point finishes - managing to beat every other player in the field who wins an event (up to 33 runners) and all of the players who FT multi events - I wont even attempt to guess how many end up doing that.

I am not going to propose or comment on any points systems anymore - I would rather have someone more qualified than me do that based on statistical analysis of field sizes and probabilities.

The fundamental issue seems to be should cashing count or not?

If cashing doesnt count, then just stick to Slips current scheme 

If cashing does count then I think the points will need a rethink to get the right spread.

Counting cashing will cause yet more debate on the points and extra effort to measure - there needs to be a significant majority in favour of it to justify changing. I have no idea whether that is the case - just that a significant number so far have expressed that view.

• edited December 2014
    I only mentioned rake races because Sly seemed all in favour of volume and quote: "Why on earth should someone be called player of the series if they only play a quarter of the games" - I disagree completely and think you should still be able to win this whilst only being able to enter a quarter of events. As I said high volume players (with large BR's) already have a decent enough advantage as it is w/o the need to try and increase it.

No, my scenario might not happen but variations of it could. If it's easy to think up a scenario where the winner would be undeserving then there is obviously a major flaw with that points system. 10-12 pts for 1st and 1 for cashing although OK doesn't seem to really award cashing enough for it to have any effect. Therefore, you have to question is it worth the effort of Slip to include every cash if it's largely meaningless

What do you think of the two tier system I proposed? I've tried to think of scenarios where you would have a deserving winner miss out but I can't really think of many. The spread seems OK to me - 3 top 10 finishes equivalent to 1 1st place seems fair. A 5th and 6th place equivallent to a win again also seems fair. 3 2nd place finishes = 15 pts. 3 3rd or 4th place finishes and a 5th place finish = 15 pts. Both these being equal in pts seems fair. 

It also seems perfect for encouraging competition between people - cashing definitely has merit here and you can cash 6 times and be on the same pts as a single winner. If you win an event every cash is going to be helpful in increasing your total score. Again, hugely promoting volume. You can't just get a FT and top ten and expect to win it and stop playing- you still need to make sure you gain an extra 4 points from cashing 4 times to give you every chance. By the last event you would have people needing just a cash to win and others needing a FT or top 10 finish - lots of people will still be within a chance. 

I'm not an expert on statistical analysis but I'm reasonably competent at it and it was by far and away my strongest maths aspect when doing Maths at Uni!! Like I said the only problem seems to be for Slip in working it out. But IF we are going to include cashes then this is IMO the only way to do it to make it worthwhile. Otherwise there's just no point in including them. 
  • edited December 2014
    @Ivan

I did say this in my last post - "I am not going to propose or comment on any points systems anymore - I would rather have someone more qualified than me do that based on statistical analysis of field sizes and probabilities."

But seeing as you asked me and seeing as you are more qualified than me on stats...

On fairness and balance seems pretty good. 

if the main motive is stop a serial casher winning then I dont think it is necessary - more points for 1st-3rd does the same thing - without the added calculation headache.

I also get what you mean about the rec and a few events doing well. I think you need to careful so that the structure doesnt make that highly likely - just possible. 
  • edited December 2014
    On fairness and balance seems pretty good.  if the main motive is stop a serial casher winning then I dont think it is necessary - more points for 1st-3rd does the same thing - without the added calculation headache. 

I also get what you mean about the rec and a few events doing well. I think you need to careful so that the structure doesnt make that highly likely - just possible. 
    Posted by Phantom66
    I have no problem with giving more points to 1st to 3rd but the 'problem' then is that cashing becomes irrelevant - a) Won't affect who the winner is. b) It won't increase the enjoyment of following the competition IMO just because you are guaranteed to be on the leaderboard with just 1 cash. For a start - is Slip really going to publish the entire table after each day? It would be pretty big with at least 250 players after day 1. Then again the Sky Poker Premiership listed everyone so maybe it's not too ridiculous. But I'm not going to be jumping in joy seeing I'm in 200th place with 1 pt and TommyD doesn't even have a point yet! And come day 3 I won't be thrilled to be in 200th place with 3 points. 

Also there were other motives for my system. 1) It awards cashing enough to be worthwhile as a possible determinant of the winner (when otherwise points would be tied) which I think is important.
    2) The point spread is such that it makes it more fun to follow and encourages continued volume. With a 2nd and a 5th place that's only 8 points on my suggested leaderboard. Gaining an extra 4 points for cashing in 4 events is going to be important since 12 points *may* be enough to win it whereas 8 definitely won't be. 

Like I said I don't have a big problem with not awarding cashes although I do prefer it - I think the winner will still be fair with a decent points spread between 1st and 10th. Thus if slip thinks it's too complicated to try and do a two tier system I'm more than happy with that.  I'm just suggesting my idea for everyone that thinks cashes should be awarded since I think it's the only way to make awarding cashes worthwhile and fair.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival :   It awards cashing enough to be worthwhile as a possible determinant of the winner (when otherwise points would be tied) which I think is important. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    THIS! - I just dont think you NEED a 2 tier system to make that happen

If player A gets a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd and player B gets a 1st a 2nd a 3rd and 5 cashes - player B deserves it

If player A gets a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd and player B gets a 1st a 2nd a 4th and 5 cashes my vote is player B

If player A gets a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd and player B gets 15 cashes then player A deserves it imo

Trouble is getting the mix of points right so the vast majority of players agree who deserves it more can be a lot tougher in tighter situations

e.g.

If player A gets a 1st a 3rd and a 7th and 2 cashes player B gets a 1st a 4ths a 6th and 3 cashes ????????

anyway if there is only me and @Ivan posting I guess the answer is clear - no one cares enough now to vote for change?

Slip says it's not a dictatorship so how about a poll (not binding) just to give people an easy way to express an opinio...

A)Cashing is irrelevant - Happy with Slips current system just leave it
    B)Like the idea of points for cash but not if it creates too much work
    C)Think points for cashing is much better/fairer and should be workable so do it
    D)Lost the will to live and not following this thread anymore
    E)Other please specify

• edited December 2014
    Ivan - my intention is/was to publish the whole list every day (and to update it throughout the day). That was part of my thinking behind not using cashes, as I know the list would become inordinately long very quickly.
  • edited December 2014
    I've already explained why I think you need a two tier system since I don't think it's possible to get a correct points spread otherwise

You mentioned 10/12 pts for first.

1st = 10
    2nd = 8
    3rd = 7
    4th = 6
    5th = 5
    6th = 4
    7th/8th = 3
    9th/10th = 2
    Cashing = 1

This is the best points spread I can think off the top of my head. But it favours too much those that can afford to play every event. Player A might come 4th, 5th and 6th in 3 out of 6 events they play and get 15 points. Player B plays all 33 events and come 2nd in one event and have 8 cashes for 16 points. IMO player A deserves it more. 

Looking at your Player A vs B scenario:

1) Agreed, athough an unlikely scenario.
    2) It depends. If player A has only played 6 events and player B has played all 33 then it's not as clear cut and I think Player A is more deserving. That said Player B would still end up winning in my system - but if we changed it slightly and gave Player A 2 cashes and Player B 7 cashes then Player A would win it.
    3) Agreed. If the points between 1st and cashing is too small then player B would end up winning it. In a tiered system player A would still win it since only 6 cashes would count.

I think I'm done now tho with trying to discuss it haha! I'll leave it up to slip :P

@ Slip: Wow, throughout the day too? Will you not be playing any events? Imagine it would be hard to update whilst playing!!

I think suppose you did include cashing you'd still only want to include top 50 at most IMO.

• edited December 2014
    Well, by throughout the day, I mean that the tournaments themselves will all end between about 5.30pm and 3am. I figured - with my spread of points (admittedly, not finalised) it wouldn't be too hard to knock together the table. I'll have the template ready to go; just need to fill in the blanks.

Hopefully.
  • edited December 2014
    Well, by throughout the day, I mean that the tournaments themselves will all end between about 5.30pm and 3am. I figured - with my spread of points (admittedly, not finalised) it wouldn't be too hard to knock together the table. I'll have the template ready to go; just need to fill in the blanks. Hopefully.
    Posted by Slipwater
    I am sure you could knock one out in no time at all
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : I am sure you could knock one out in no time at all
    Posted by MattBates
    That sounds like a crack at a little humour from Mr. Bates.

Well played, sir! ;)
  • edited December 2014
    Keeping in mind that I will have this nailed by Saturday morning, I have re-read this whole thread again as I try to piece together the best way to go with it.

It's been raised that the Player of the Festival should be one that puts in the volume, and I agree with that. What about an initial criteria for qualification of having to play either:

a) a minimum of three of the four days
    b) a minimum of 17 of the 33 events

It eliminates the chance of someone binking three tournaments and walking away... but - of course - it's also tailored towards the higher rollers.

I do like the points system I have for the Main/Mini Leaderboard, and I think the names at and near the top have shown that it actually does work (certainly over the course of a year). Admittedly, over four days the spread is too wide...
  • edited December 2014
    fine to have a hurdle but i wouldn't make it too onerous

8 of the games maybe
    ie main and mini every day is ok
    every mtt in a day is ok

unfair to rule out peeps who cannot play more than 2 days if they're willing to grind when they can. 
  • edited December 2014
    fine to have a hurdle but i wouldn't make it too onerous  8 of the games maybe ie main and mini every day is ok every mtt in a day is ok unfair to rule out peeps who cannot play more than 2 days if they're willing to grind when they can. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Yeah, I agree. I was just attempting to satisfy the faction that believes in volume /> bink.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : Yeah, I agree. I was just attempting to satisfy the faction that believes in volume /> bink.
    Posted by Slipwater
    6 even - ie 2 a day for 3 days to enable mobile device players to compete
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : 6 even - ie 2 a day for 3 days to enable mobile device players to compete
    Posted by GELDY
    Minimum of six tournaments entered? Definitely sounds doable.
  • edited December 2014
    fine to have a hurdle but i wouldn't make it too onerous  8 of the games maybe ie main and mini every day is ok every mtt in a day is ok unfair to rule out peeps who cannot play more than 2 days if they're willing to grind when they can. 
    Posted by GELDY
    +1
  • edited December 2014
    I think I'll go with the minimum number of tournaments caveat...
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : I am sure you could knock one out in no time at all
    Posted by MattBates
    Matthew!

Do behave.

;)
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : Matthew! Do behave. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    With Mr Bates as my inspiration, how could I not?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : Matthew! Do behave. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Surely nothing wrong with Master Bates showing the value of a good hand....
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : Surely nothing wrong with Master Bates showing the value of a good hand....
    Posted by Essexphil
    Boys, calm down!