You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKOPS Player of the festival

Comments

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival:
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : Twenty? Thirty?
    Posted by Slipwater
    What about a % of field ? 
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : What about a % of field ? 
    Posted by Glenelg
    Nothing like making it as convoluted as possible, eh?
  • edited December 2014

A quirky alternative........

It's entirely possible that most, or even all, the UKPOS Events will be won by players who do not frequent the Community. Fair play to them, no prob with that, but a bit of a damp squib if we want a "fun Community sweat" where many of us know each other & want to cheer each other on.

It would add a ton of work, of course, but if we had a criteria that to qualify for this Fun Leaderboard, you had to have (say) 10 Posts on the Community prior to UKOPS starting......

Shall I go get me coat?

OK, fair enough.

• edited December 2014

"Nothing like making it as convoluted as possible, eh?"

Always happy to oblige.

;)
  • edited December 2014
    A quirky alternative........ It's entirely possible that most, or even all, the UKPOS Events will be won by players who do not frequent the Community. Fair play to them, no prob with that, but a bit of a damp squib if we want a "fun sweat" where many of us know each other & want to cheer each other on.   It would add a ton of work, of course, but if we had a criteria that to qualify for this Fun Leaderboard, you had to have (say) 10 Posts on the Community prior to UKOPS starting...... Shall I go get me coat? OK, fair enough.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    SECURITY!!!!!!!!

lol, good idea TK. That not been mentioned so far.

No Comment from me at mo. Brian may have tho....lol

[PS are you playing FOSP  PLO8 tonight TK??]
  • edited December 2014
    Having thought Briefly, I think it does need to be Fully INCLUSIVE tho Tony!!

Thus whoever has bought into UKOPS, by definition, should also be part of this.

It Only adds to the Challenge, as this thread does, lol
  • edited December 2014
    A quirky alternative........ It's entirely possible that most, or even all, the UKPOS Events will be won by players who do not frequent the Community. Fair play to them, no prob with that, but a bit of a damp squib if we want a "fun sweat" where many of us know each other & want to cheer each other on.   It would add a ton of work, of course, but if we had a criteria that to qualify for this Fun Leaderboard, you had to have (say) 10 Posts on the Community prior to UKOPS starting...... Shall I go get me coat? OK, fair enough.  
    Posted by Tikay10

good idea, especially as the ukpc seat prize is aimed at skypoker players and those who frequent the forum.  furthemore, what about those who have played more than, say, 10 mtts in the past year?

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : Twenty? Thirty?
    Posted by Slipwater
    About 8-10%. The same as the cashing percentage.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : good idea, especially as the ukpc seat prize is aimed at skypoker players and those who frequent the forum.  furthemore, what about those who have played more than, say, 10 mtts in the past year?
    Posted by aussie09
    I Understand Rob!!

But does not Brians idea of being favourable points-wise to smaller Events cater for this...

The Community Players & Regs will play Most or Many of These..

Random Top Pros will only dive in for the Biggies No???

....and if we dont tell them about this thread, they will never know, lol!!!
    SHHHHHHHHHhhhhh!!!
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : About 8-10%. The same as the cashing percentage.
    Posted by FCHD

.....giving a point to those who cash?  this has been rejected.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : I Understand Rob!! But does not Brians idea of being favourable points-wise to smaller Events cater for this... The Community Players & Regs will play Most or Many of These.. Random Top Pros will only dive in for the Biggies No??? ....and if we dont tell them about this thread, they will never know, lol!!! SHHHHHHHHHhhhhh!!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

it really needs to be in the T&C otherwise the prize must go to whomever wins.  no matter how much of a cuckoo they might be.

• edited December 2014
    we don't need any more forum abuse - imagine the quality of the posts from anyone who needs to post x times to get in on a prize!!!

I would think sky should be happy with either:

a) a Sky newbie high-rolling Shark winning
    b) a smaller stakes player winning

both could easily be used for publicity to drive plenty of traffic here in future

as for numbers to score - either just stick with Slippy's current leaderboard version or proposed reduced version. serial min-cashers are not going to win regardless, so it's a bit of a waste of time and effort to give them points. Let's not forget the dedication needed to make this happen - make it too much work and it'll never happen again.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : I Understand Rob!! But does not Brians idea of being favourable points-wise to smaller Events cater for this... The Community Players & Regs will play Most or Many of These.. Random Top Pros will only dive in for the Biggies No??? ....and if we dont tell them about this thread, they will never know, lol!!! SHHHHHHHHHhhhhh!!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

"small" events?  brian's system favours events with few runners.

the high roller will have fewest runners.  higher buy-in will equate to fewest runners.

regs on skypoker will play fewer high buy-in tournaments than the top pros

the points system will favour top pros

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : "small" events?  brian's system favours events with few runners. the high roller will have fewest runners.  higher buy-in will equate to fewest runners. regs on skypoker will play fewer high buy-in tournaments than the top pros the points system will favour top pros
    Posted by aussie09
    true - but that doesn't make it easy to score in though given the likely quality of opposition. and it's only one tournament. and yes a higher percentage of that field will score points, but they are paying for the privilege. and would this really entice more players into the high-roller? and if it does then that's great for Sky!

(note to self - bullet points better than multiple ands in future but not got the time to waste re-formatting for now)
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival : true - but that doesn't make it easy to score in though given the likely quality of opposition. and it's only one tournament. and yes a higher percentage of that field will score points, but they are paying for the privilege. and would this really entice more players into the high-roller? and if it does then that's great for Sky! (note to self - bullet points better than multiple ands in future but not got the time to waste re-formatting for now)
    Posted by GELDY

disagree. 

• edited December 2014
    Without separate tiers, any system implemented will (at least slightly) favour those with more money.

The problem with tiers is that it's impossible to nail down and account for the differences.

Having said that, I am opposed to using cashes as a basis for points.
  • edited December 2014
    Slipwater has posted, so just awaiting Dave's inevitable post...
  • edited December 2014
    Slipwater has posted, so just awaiting Dave's inevitable post...
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Hold on – I need to log out and log back in on my other laptop first.

• edited December 2014

If anything, the point system favours the warm up events not the high roller given the number of runners in them, quality of field and the number of them.

• edited December 2014
    If anything, the point system favours the warm up events not the high roller given the number of runners in them, quality of field and the number of them.
    Posted by MattBates

hi matt,

quality and "not-quality" players will play numerous games, irrespective of buy in or field size

however, fewer not-quality players will play high buy in games.

there is no recognition of field size in brian's system

this is a bit turkey-for-christmas.  if you see yourself as someone who will happily play the £100+ games then brian's system is something you should vote for.  if you will play few £100+ games then it isn't.

if i were you, i would vote for brian's system

• edited December 2014

All right.

The top 5% of runners are awarded points.

The top ten players are (example numbers only) awarded the following:

25 – 22 – 19 – 17 – 15 – 13 – 10 – 8 – 6 – 4

…and the remainder gets 1 point.

Better?

• edited December 2014
    inevitable post...
  • edited December 2014

the best i can suggest is

1st  10 points
    2ns   8 points
    3rd   6 points
    4th   5 points
    5th   4 points
    6th  3 points
    7th - 10th 2 points
    cash  1 point

no tiers, no bonus points, small range, award cashers, smooth intervals in the range.

• edited December 2014
     I've read the whole of this thread and I've been through all of this before when we ran similar weeks on Black Belt.

I think the most important thing is that a player joining halfway still thinks it's worth trying and the second most important is that it's really easy to explain.

How about a freeroll is played for the prize and to get into the freeroll you have to cash twice in any event throughout UKOPS? 

Obviously you could argue that someone may cash really early in two and not bother playing again but that won't effect too many. For most players you are in contention until the third last event and for some the 2nd last and it's super easy to explain.

You could make the freeroll a live thing at DTD and give some other prizes or hold it online.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works late on.
  • edited December 2014
    the best i can suggest is 1st  10 points 2ns   8 points 3rd   6 points 4th   5 points 5th   4 points 6th  3 points 7th - 10th 2 points cash  1 point no tiers, no bonus points, small range, award cashers, smooth intervals in the range.
    Posted by aussie09
    this makes a lot of sense! 
    (rather than everyone calculating where the points bubble is at the end of late reg)
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: UKOPS Player of the festival:
     I've read the whole of this thread and I've been through all of this before when we ran similar weeks on Black Belt.  I think the most important thing is that a player joining halfway still thinks it's worth trying and the second most important is that it's really easy to explain.  How about a freeroll is played for the prize and to get into the freeroll you have to cash twice in any event throughout UKOPS?   Obviously you could argue that someone may cash really early in two and not bother playing again but that won't effect too many. For most players you are in contention until the third last event and for some the 2nd last and it's super easy to explain.  You could make the freeroll a live thing at DTD and give some other prizes or hold it online.  Sorry to throw a spanner in the works late on.
    Posted by NChanning

So Slipwater's system works perfectly. You need to run deep. You need several results. multi min cashing is not good enough. join half way and take a couple down and you are there. 

ps we treat all new posters this way.  suggest a bag of spanners is a good idea and you'll hear what we think about it. 

slippy hold firm. forget the 5% b*llocks. This is all about running deep/winning don't dilute it. 
  • edited December 2014
    slippy hold firm... don't get all oxymoronic on me, Gelders!

It's good to have Neil's input on the thread - I feel as though I've made it now.
  • edited December 2014
    slippy hold firm... don't get all oxymoronic on me, Gelders! It's good to have Neil's input on the thread - I feel as though I've made it now.
    Posted by Slipwater
    wow

an oxymoron i didn't even realise. 
    #sigh as they'd say on Twitter, wonder what they say on instagram? 

• edited December 2014
    Guess i should post a picture on instagram with me holding up two boards.
    One white one saying yes
    and a black one saying no
    but as i don't do instagram i think I'll leave it there. 

ps if you Twitter you tweet
    what the hell do you say you do if you instagram? 
  • edited December 2014
    Guess i should post a picture on instagram with me holding up two boards. One white one saying yes and a black one saying no but as i don't do instagram i think I'll leave it there.  ps if you Twitter you tweet what the hell do you say you do if you instagram
    Posted by GELDY
    You clearly do a gram.

Though this is open for misinterpretation.