You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

KingBowl - An attempt to become a full-time pro

Comments

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: KingBowl - An attempt to become a full-time pro:
    Firstly I genuinely wish you good luck with this, although skill, patience, and discipline will be needed more than luck. Secondly I do hope this isn't a growing trend whereby people get a loan to study for 3 years at uni and then  a) Never use their degree b) Never get a salaried job to pay the loan back Us tax payers will be left plugging the black hole of unpaid student loans in years to come I guess the parent/taxpayer part of me should say, get an income and do this part time to see how you go for a while and give yourself some security.  However the poker player/gambler in me says why not, go for it, better than having a gaaaap yaaaar, live the dream or at least give it a shot while you have no mortgage/dependents to worry about.
    Posted by Phantom66

Thanks for the post, I appreciate your concern however I can say that the large majority of my friends are all working their socks off to secure work placements for the next year  :) And I'll probably be doing the same next year ;)
    Thanks for the advice and good luck :)

• edited February 2015
    I say "Give it a go", you might never look back and good luck!! If you crash and burn - get a job and play poker part time and you'll be a better player for it. If you ever lose your job and need some income inbetween, then poker is a nice little handy earner until you find a job. Everyone's a winner Remember be honest with your results and ability and as long as you're not kidding yourself you'll see the warning signs before they bite you in the rear. Best of luck :)
    Posted by SUPERSNEDD
    Haha this is a great post I agree with everything you say, think its very solid advice so thanks a lot.
    GL
  • edited February 2015
    Update:

17/02/15: 6hrs play +£617.03
    18/02/15: 4hrs play -£438.76

• edited February 2015
    Best of luck to you... I was in a similar position to you 12 months ago although i never went to uni, i did put a semi decent career on hold to have a crack at going pro, so far so good...  if you ever need any help/advice feel free to drop me a pm

my main advice to you would be to nail down solid bankroll management first of all.

also never take things for granted when its going well and never give up hope when things are going bad.
  • edited February 2015
    I too am a final year economics student so best of luck, in terms of training and perfecting your game what resources are you using apart from your backer? I was tempted to take a year out aswell but reckon a grad job is the lower variance choice, good luck
  • edited February 2015
    Good luck mate,hope you achieve all your dreams but 1
  • edited February 2015

You must be off your rocker, Mr Bowl, daftest thing I've ever heard.

And if I were your age, & had the skillset, I'd prolly do exactly the same as you.

;)

Good luck fella.
  • edited February 2015
    Are you from York, or are you just studying here?

Or are you really from Selby, but don't want to admit it so lump yourself in with us Yorkies? ;)
  • edited February 2015
    If your any good you dont need a backer.

If your backer is any good he would spend his/her time playing not backing others or coaching.

First sign someone is not doing well in poker anymore is they start to offer coaching.

Analogy time:

Why do footballers become football managers? Because they arnt good enough to play football to a decent level anymore.
  • edited February 2015
    If your any good you dont need a backer. If your backer is any good he would spend his/her time playing not backing others or coaching. First sign someone is not doing well in poker anymore is they start to offer coaching. Analogy time: Why do footballers become football managers? Because they arnt good enough to play football to a decent level anymore.
    Posted by ajs4385

Without turning this into a debate about backing. I somewhat agree with your notion. I especially agree that if you are doing it for a living, you shouldn't be backed. As for players backing other players, it can be a very profitable, mutually beneficial agreement. 
  • edited February 2015
    If your any good you dont need a backer. If your backer is any good he would spend his/her time playing not backing others or coaching. First sign someone is not doing well in poker anymore is they start to offer coaching. Analogy time: Why do footballers become football managers? Because they arnt good enough to play football to a decent level anymore.
    Posted by ajs4385
    Pretty poor analogy aj imo

Do you watch Dragon's Den? Do you think Peter Jones is a washed up businessman incapable of cutting it on his own? Or do you think maybe he finds people with talent and a good idea but who need investment and advice to grow their business while he gets a return too?

If you think of a poker pro as a 1 man business - how do they grow? multi-table more? play at higher stakes? Or maybe they could find a pool of players to back, coach, invest in and get a bigger return with a better spread of risk too?

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: KingBowl - An attempt to become a full-time pro : Pretty poor analogy aj imo Do you watch Dragon's Den? Do you think Peter Jones is a washed up businessman incapable of cutting it on his own? Or do you think maybe he finds people with talent and a good idea but who need investment and advice to grow their business while he gets a return too? If you think of a poker pro as a 1 man business - how do they grow? multi-table more? play at higher stakes? Or maybe they could find a pool of players to back, coach, invest in and get a bigger return with a better spread of risk too?
    Posted by Phantom66
    I cant be bothered having a debate about coaching/backing, I was just trying to give the lad a bit of advice.
  • edited February 2015
    Posted by ajs4385

aj literally what are you on about...

gl bowl
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: KingBowl - An attempt to become a full-time pro : aj literally what are you on about... gl bowl
    Posted by BarryGuns
    Giving advice about coaching/backing, thought that was obvious.
  • edited February 2015
    My advice.... if plan "A" don't work ... there's always 25 more letters!
    He who dares Rodney.....
  • edited February 2015
    Posted by ajs4385
    This is rediculous. 

I currently have a backer. At the time i got a backer i was broke for non-poker related reasons, needed some cash quick a friend bought my bankroll off me for 50% of future action with the plan for it to be a short term arrangement. Both me and my backer are winning players at the levels we play. 

Since then we've agreed the agreement is a mutual thing to continue, i can't currently afford to re-invest in poker, and he's been handed free money for literally no effort other than risking less than i have already sent him back in the month he's backed me. 

Yeah the level i play at is a low level, no debate about that, but listen, who in the right mind turns down free money. Poker player or not. 
  • edited February 2015
    Best of luck to you... I was in a similar position to you 12 months ago although i never went to uni, i did put a semi decent career on hold to have a crack at going pro, so far so good...  if you ever need any help/advice feel free to drop me a pm my main advice to you would be to nail down solid bankroll management first of all. also never take things for granted when its going well and never give up hope when things are going bad.
    Posted by jordz16
    Quality advice Jordz16
  • edited February 2015
    Firstly I genuinely wish you good luck with this, although skill, patience, and discipline will be needed more than luck. Secondly I do hope this isn't a growing trend whereby people get a loan to study for 3 years at uni and then  a) Never use their degree b) Never get a salaried job to pay the loan back Us tax payers will be left plugging the black hole of unpaid student loans in years to come I guess the parent/taxpayer part of me should say, get an income and do this part time to see how you go for a while and give yourself some security.  However the poker player/gambler in me says why not, go for it, better than having a gaaaap yaaaar, live the dream or at least give it a shot while you have no mortgage/dependents to worry about.
    Posted by Phantom66
    I must say I agree with pretty much all of this, I guess I am old fashioned and working for a living for 43 years has made me a tad irksome at the yoof of today using any excuse not to get a job, what do I know though, I guess there is a lot of poker pro's started like this but I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the taxpayer and there were laws in place to ensure the loan gets paid out of poker winnings, anyway ramble over and I wish you well.
  • edited February 2015
    Posted by ajs4385
    That analogy is no quite true,A. Ferguson,arguably the best manager ever,shiit at fitba,good manager,john barnes,shiit manager gd player,Mick Mccarthy shiit at both,btw i aint no man utd supporter b4 a get abuse,Glasgow Rangers aw the way WATP
  • edited February 2015
    I give advice better than I often play myself - much easier to "coach" and work out best way of playing hands when you have plenty of time to think them through!

Point being - coaches might not be huge winners not because they aren't good at the game (and theory) but for a myrriad of other reasons - mostly boiling down to them not being able to play their A game often enough.
  • edited February 2015
    Posted by ajs4385
    Hows your coaching going?
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: KingBowl - An attempt to become a full-time pro : I must say I agree with pretty much all of this, I guess I am old fashioned and working for a living for 43 years has made me a tad irksome at the yoof of today using any excuse not to get a job, what do I know though, I guess there is a lot of poker pro's started like this but I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the taxpayer and there were laws in place to ensure the loan gets paid out of poker winnings, anyway ramble over and I wish you well.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Well, you can sleep peacefully tonight secure in the knowledge that older generations have left the "yoof of today" with a £1.4 trillion public debt as a fine example of financial responsibility.

Which generation has more to be annoyed about, do you think? ;-)
  • edited February 2015
    Posted by ajs4385

not 'needing' a backer if you are good is probably true but many people find they can play much closer to their A game when they are not financially invested and it is pretty easy to make an arguement that being backed is less stressful. Many backing deal come with coaching built in too which can progress your game and winrate faster and higher than maybe you could without such personal coaching. dont get me wrong all thats come at a financial price, its just whether you value a less stressful environment with faster progression opportunities at however much money it costs you in %. i know people who get 80% profit +withdraw 80% of their RB even if they are losing. meaning if they grind enough to get 2krb then they get £1600 in the bank every month regardless of results. thats some pretty imprerssive security imo and adds plenty of value to their deal.

you claim that any good players would spend their time playing and not backing or coaching is lolworthy. quite simply because 1 person can play X tables at a time at Y winrate, but if you back 9 people they can play 9X tables at a winrate of 9Y. obv their are other factors, such as the people you back dont have the same winrate as you but you cant deny this would work your money harder and make exponentially more money for yourself and maybe even free up some time to do more of the thing you really enjoy.

your claim that people only offer coaching when they are doing well is also rediculous. if you make £50 an hour at poker and coach for £50 per hour i know i would have human contact and help someone for zero variance than gamble for it. Many people prefer strategising over the game rather than actually playing, Imo the game is incredibly complex and deep, spending time studying it and sharing what you learn can be really rewarding.

best of luck btw king bowl. your results so far suggest it will be tough for you to all of a sudden make £20k+ in 2015 but the quality of your coaching and your aptitude to apply new knowledge will play a big part in your results im sure. will try to keep up with your progress. ill give you a piece of advice to get you off on the right foot, whenever you face an action from ajs just make your decisions based on what you would exppect an overly tight player to do in 2005 :P
  • edited February 2015
    very interesting how differently people have reacted to this post. Other similar threads have had less emotive responses

I won't speculate on reasoning behind some comments, and a healthy dose of realism is essential, but if someone is given the opportunity to try something why wouldn't they take it.

When I was younger and trying to make it as a professional golfer, I learned quickly not to voice my aspirations too loudly, people are quick to try and cut you down (I lost count of how many times I was told to get a proper job), certainly in our youth we have much to learn but some of the best lessons come from trial and error.

Anyway good luck Mr Bowl

• edited February 2015
    Good morning KingBowl.
    Good luck with your quest, hope to see you final table the main event in Las Vegas.
    As a father my advice to you is enjoy yourself, and when you make money out of poker invest it in property.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
    p.s has anyone mentioned the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack yet.
  • edited February 2015
    Some have tried to disguise their posts as offering advice gmnaspgnsdpganaspnp'asdhsdhasdhasfh
  • edited February 2015
    "OK you've got some talent" said the Merovingian to Neo. 
    But all Neo's predecessors were dealt with by the Merovingian.
    Are you Neo, or one of his predecessors? 

Yes if you might be Neo then opting out of the real world to play poker might be an idea. The problem is that most fail. That's not to say don't make money, just not enough money to have a family two kids second home and needing advice on tax avoidance. With a decent degree and job all that is possible. 

So why not keep your options open. Get a real job with prospects, and work nights on poker. Yes it'll be hard but that is what you need to do to succeed in life. That way you can evaluate your prospects side by side and make an educated decision when required.
  • edited February 2015
    i wish i were good enough to play cards all day i hate working
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: KingBowl - An attempt to become a full-time pro : Well, you can sleep peacefully tonight secure in the knowledge that older generations have left the "yoof of today" with a £1.4 trillion public debt as a fine example of financial responsibility. Which generation has more to be annoyed about, do you think? ;-)
    Posted by BorinLoner
    My sleep is not peaceful at present but my conscience is clear,the debt you mention is government spending/borrowing policy, partly funding those who are not "working," either unable or making the decision not to.pretty much like having an emf backer and not paying them back ;) 
  • edited February 2015
    "OK you've got some talent" said the Merovingian to Neo.  But all Neo's predecessors were dealt with by the Merovingian. Are you Neo, or one of his predecessors?  Yes if you might be Neo then opting out of the real world to play poker might be an idea. The problem is that most fail. That's not to say don't make money, just not enough money to have a family two kids second home and needing advice on tax avoidance. With a decent degree and job all that is possible.  So why not keep your options open. Get a real job with prospects, and work nights on poker. Yes it'll be hard but that is what you need to do to succeed in life. That way you can evaluate your prospects side by side and make an educated decision when required.
    Posted by GELDY
    And how much do you need for that geldy?