You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge

edited October 2016 in Poker Chat
Thought I would do a 1 month challenge, 1st Sept-1st Oct. This will be for 2 reasons-firstly, to try and motivate me, and secondly I thought some people might like to see a snapshot of poker playing.

Before I start, I would mention that 1 month is too short to give meaningful statistics-so if I end up losing every time, it doesn't (necessarily) mean I'm rubbish, any more than a profit would mean I'm actually any good.

My September challenges are:-

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st.

2. To win a tournament ( 1 tracked as being a £500-plus tourny).

3. Final table a Main OR Mini

4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments

5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament

6. Make a profit

I will try and provide regular updates.....

Phil

Comments

• edited September 2016

oioi, good luck Phil.

Lovely see the competitive spirit still alive & well in a chap of your age.

• edited September 2016

Sky Poker's cheap version of TOWIE? ;)

GL with this Phil. I hope you smash it. Good use of Rob's site too. He puts a lot of work into that.
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge:
    Sky Poker's cheap version of TOWIE? ;) GL with this Phil. I hope you smash it. Good use of Rob's site too. He puts a lot of work into that.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Cheaper than TOWIE? That's setting the bar low :)

Thanks for the wishes-another aim was to promote Rob's excellent site-people are welcome to view my "hero" card there if they don't wish to read my drivel...
  • edited September 2016
    Good luck sir. If ever need a boost in main, mini or roller give us a shout. ;) 
  • edited September 2016
    Hi Essexphil
    glglgl with the challenge SMASH it sir.
  • edited September 2016
    gl love goal setting!
  • edited September 2016
    Best of luck, look forward to reading.

How about telling us a bit more about the man behind the id?

Like, what's your name and where you are from?

How did you get into poker?

First big win?

Best poker experience?
  • edited September 2016
    best of luck phil :)
  • edited September 2016
    Best of luck, look forward to reading. How about telling us a bit more about the man behind the id? Like, what's your name and where you are from? How did you get into poker? First big win? Best poker experience?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Hi Phantom. Answers are:-

Phil Green (often Philgreen111 on various sites). I live in Frinton-on-Sea,which is not your typical Essex town.

Got into poker by watching the gripping Late Night Poker, and thinking "I could do that", partly because I have played both chess and 3 card brag at a decent level. Persuaded my wife to let me deposit £400 to see if I could. In my best year, made £60,000 profit-bit harder now, mind!

First big win? First tournament win of note was a $6 speed on Party, which I won for $2,500 (I miss Americans!).

Best poker experience? Been lucky enough to qualify for the WSOP Main Event 4 times. Made Day 2 all 4 times, 1 day 3 and 1 day 5-there is no feeling quite like waking up and realising that there are only 400 people left in the Main Event-that was also my largest Live Cash, although I also have 8 5-figure scores online.

Also been lucky enough to share a table with some very handy players, mainly (tho not exclusively) at the Main. ones that stay in the memory are Daniel Negreanu, Eli Elezra and Tommy Dyer ;).

PS-update on first day of challenge. Think I played 7 tournaments, didn't cash in a single 1....

Favourite hand of yesterday? Picked up JJ in Big Blind, 1 min raiser, I shoved for 14 Bigs, instacall from A 9. did I lose?-yes. Is that why I love playing poker?-also yes
  • edited September 2016

"I live in Frinton-on-Sea,which is not your typical Essex town."

Back in the day, we used to go to a Caravan Park in Frinton-on-Sea. May have been called "Martello"?

It was deemed to be much posher than nearby Walton-on-Naze.

Last time I was there was in 1966, & I watched the World Cup final through the shop window of Radio Rentals.

The only reason we went there was that it had the best reception for Pirate Radio - Radio Caroline & Radio London -  as the boats were moored just off the coast there.

Can still remember the pirate radio ID jingles.......

Caroline, sound of the nation,
    Caroline, sound of the land.

Wonderfullllll, Radoooooo Londonnnnnnnnnnn 
  • edited September 2016
    "I live in Frinton-on-Sea,which is not your typical Essex town." Back in the day, we used to go to a Caravan Park in Frinton-on-Sea. May have been called "Martello"? It was deemed to be much posher than nearby Walton-on-Naze. Last time I was there was in 1966, & I watched the World Cup final through the shop window of Radio Rentals. The only reason we went there was that it had the best reception for Pirate Radio - Radio Caroline & Radio London -  as the boats were moored just off the coast there.   Can still remember the pirate radio ID jingles.......   Caroline, sound of the nation, Caroline, sound of the land. Wonderfullllll, Radoooooo Londonnnnnnnnnnn  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Would certainly have been called Martello-that is a common name round here, due to the various Martello forts built round here in Napoleonic times.

They resurrected an old pirate radio station off the coast a few years back, with Mike Read and David Diddy Hamilton-they only just lowered the average age round here (usual joke is "Harwich for the Continent. Frinton for the Incontinent.)
  • edited September 2016
    love the insight gl Phil
  • edited September 2016
    I remember listening to a clive bull radio phone in, in the eighties, suggesting that Frinton -on-sea was absolutely the worst place for a holiday. Nothing there, couldnt even eat an ice cream in public, and God forbid if you drop any litter.
    Posted by chilling
    Clive Bull-not known for speaking a load of Clive, then :)

The ice cream thing is only half right, and makes more sense once explained. Frinton bans ice cream salesmen on the beach. This is for 2 reasons. Firstly, shops in the town pay high rents, and deserve protection (it's only a 2 minute walk to town). Secondly, Frinton's holidaymakers like to be able to relax without the commercial pressures on the beach of most seaside resorts. If people feel the need for a traditional English seaside town experience, there is Walton 1 side, and Clacton/Jaywick on the other.

I unreservedly apologise if Londoners feel that it is their right to use seaside resorts to dump rubbish-suspect that is 1 of the many reasons why I never own up to actually originally being from London round here. It's bad enough having to work there, without having to live there.
  • edited September 2016
    Seems we have LNP and chess in common. I used to play for my county (Kent) as a junior.

Hope to have a WSOP cash in common one day too. 

Hats off to the day 5 ME, must have been one amazing experience.
  • edited September 2016
    Seems we have LNP and chess in common. I used to play for my county (Kent) as a junior. Hope to have a WSOP cash in common one day too.  Hats off to the day 5 ME, must have been one amazing experience.
    Posted by

Essex juniors/seniors for me. There's lots of ways to get to the WSOP, not least via Sky. I have been lucky enough to go to Vegas 7 times, including 5 via Poker sites. Sky treat their players really well, and I would thoroughly recommend it. It is truly an experience, as anyone who has been to a meal organised by SkySam will testify!

My favourite memory of the 1 time I cashed was on Day 4. For the 3rd table in a row I was sat next to, and tangling with, a player from Black Belt Poker (forget the guys name, but he was much better than the first 2). A certain N Channing was railing my opponent, and chatting to a long time acquaintance who was railing me. I was "Hollywooding" in the tank with what looked like a tough decision against a very aggressive player. I overheard an Ambassador saying that I looked nervous, and a reply saying that when i looked that nervous I probably had quads. I did have quads, and had to bite my cheeks as laughing out loud may well have damaged my table image!

Best of luck for the future goal.

Turning to my goals, the start has been er challenging. Think i am up to 10 or 11 "bricks"-still, at least I am on target to play 100 tournaments! Think I am 937th on Rob's Best player list...unlikely to play much today as it is my lovely wife's birthday-she keeps trying, but she will never catch me up.
  • edited September 2016
    Good luck Phil, let's hope for some back to back roller binkage like when you first started a few years back. 

In your bio you declined to admit that you where/are a Tottnumb fan, understandable really ;).

• edited September 2016

good to see your win tonight in the 7pm.  excellent.

• edited September 2016
    Nice win tonight!
  • edited September 2016
    Nice win tonight!
    Posted by LARSON7

WOW, great start mate!

Congrats and GL going forward
  • edited September 2016
    Better day-1 win, another final table and another cash from (I think) 8 or 9 MTTs.

4 from the cash in the Main-my A9 shove was called by an A7, but can't complain. will see if I make it back into the top 1000! Anyhoo, 1 of the Challenges done.

PS-I think AceGooner is the only English person left with any association to the Woolwich Wanderers now Wilshere's gone....

Thanks for the good wishes
  • edited September 2016
    Huge congrats on the 1st of many wins last night :)   I was sure you were also going to FT the roller - but must be due next week instead ;)

Good luck with the challenge x
  • edited September 2016

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. Getting there-up to 255th

2. To win a tournament ( 1 tracked as being a £500-plus tourny). Done

3. Final table a Main OR Mini. Not yet

4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments. On track

5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament. On track

6. Make a profit. Not sure-close

So-getting better-let's see what Monday brings. Probably due a downswing day :)

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Very well done today phil, i did keep your table open after Rose was ko'd, winning that last hand couldve made a massive difference.ul. Bang on track.
    Posted by chilling
    Thanks.

Shows the importance of watching tables closely. Would not normally recommend shoving with A 9. However, when the same person has raised your blind for the 5th consecutive time, A 9 is huge. Anyone raising my Blind every time is going to get reraised a lot lighter than that ;)
  • edited September 2016
    Huge congrats on the 1st of many wins last night :)   I was sure you were also going to FT the roller - but must be due next week instead ;) Good luck with the challenge x
    Posted by IrishRose
    On the subject of wins, well done in the £55 speed-angel dust must have been on overdrive ;)
  • edited September 2016
    Well done Phil on your wins. Sorry couldn't stay around much longer on the rail but early morning school run beckoned. Want to say a big thank you for last night too. You know what for, completely went over Rose's head, thank goodness. Always the gent xxx

Run golden and dust sent xx
  • edited September 2016
    Well done on the nice start Phil and the best of luck with the rest of the challenge.
  • edited September 2016
    Well done on the nice start Phil and the best of luck with the rest of the challenge.
    Posted by markycash
    GO AWAY
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge : GO AWAY
    Posted by Tikay10
    Never, might even play a session of OH8 DYM's tonight for that :D
  • edited September 2016
    So-getting better-let's see what Monday brings. Probably due a downswing day :) Phil
    Posted by Essexphil

I wasn't wrong ;). Less said the better, though the fact that I am giving up for the day speaks volumes. Update after Tuesday

Phil
  • edited September 2016

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. Getting there-up to 246th

2. To win a tournament ( 1 tracked as being a £500-plus tourny). Done

3. Final table a Main OR Mini. Not yet

4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments. On track

5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament. 0.4

6. Make a profit. No

Not playing too much today, as my new "improved" BT Smart Hub runs worse than me!

Phil