You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Bump : )

Wp, gg.
  • edited September 2016

well played phil

• edited September 2016
    The Main was a little frustrating last night, in that I finished 4th. The big pay jumps are always for the top 3, so 4th is particularly frustrating. Nevertheless, it does help with this particular challenge. So:-

My September challenges are:-

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. Getting there-up to 202nd

2. To win a tournament ( 1 tracked as being a £500-plus tourny). Done

3. Final table a Main OR Mini. Done

4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments. On track

5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament. 0.4

6. Make a profit. Not sure

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge:
    The Main was a little frustrating last night, in that I finished 4th. The big pay jumps are always for the top 3, so 4th is particularly frustrating. Nevertheless, it does help with this particular challenge. So:- My September challenges are:- 1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. Getting there-up to 202nd 2. To win a tournament ( 1 tracked as being a £500-plus tourny). Done 3. Final table a Main OR Mini. Done 4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments. On track 5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament. 0.4 6. Make a profit. Not sure Phil
    Posted by Essexphil

yes, you are in profit so far this month.  good luck.

• edited September 2016
    Yesterday was a mixed day. From the perspective of the challenge, a good day-a 2nd, a 5th, and 20th in the main (from 9 MTTs).
    As a poker player, it was a tad more frustrating-played poorly heads up, rivered on a massive flip in the Main having been top 3 stack most of the way. I'm typical as a poker player:-I instantly forget the lucky wins when flipping (or worse), but only remember the other side of variance!

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. Getting there-up to 108th.

5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament. On track (0.5)

6. Make a profit. Small, but I'll take it!

Phil
  • edited September 2016

7). Crush a PLO8 DYM, then hit & run.

;)

PS - Very well done, was great to see you.  
  • edited September 2016
    7). Crush a PLO8 DYM, then hit & run. ;) PS - Very well done, was great to see you.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    That was quite satisfying-2nd ever PLO8 game. I can play PLO, but not much clue re PLO8. Sure i will play the (very) occasional game, just for giggles
  • edited September 2016
    Better day-1 win, another final table and another cash from (I think) 8 or 9 MTTs. 4 from the cash in the Main-my A9 shove was called by an A7, but can't complain. will see if I make it back into the top 1000! Anyhoo, 1 of the Challenges done. PS-I think AceGooner is the only English person left with any association to the Woolwich Wanderers now Wilshere's gone.... Thanks for the good wishes
    Posted by Essexphil
    Nice binks Phil, hope you hit one of the biggies before the end of the month. 

With regards to your Woolwich obsession, had we not moved to North London the sum total of league titles for North London clubs would be a miserly 2 ;)

PS Theo, Rob Holding, Kieran Gibbs, Carl Jenkinson, Danny Wellbeck and the Ox are all English last time I looked. Bizarre statement. 
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge : Nice binks Phil, hope you hit one of the biggies before the end of the month.  With regards to your Woolwich obsession, had we not moved to North London the sum total of league titles for North London clubs would be a miserly 2 ;).  PS Theo, Rob Holding, Kieran Gibbs, Carl Jenkinson, Danny Wellbeck and the Ox are all English last time I looked. Bizarre statement. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Thanks Sanjay.

I'll give you Theo (even if he has never quite become the player that he looked like before signing for you), and Holding looks a good prospect. Your 4th is Jenkinson-you've got as much chance of playing as him :). The rest are, at best, squad players (and, at worst, sold to the first bidder). Don't you secretly wish you supported Spurs? ;). Anyway, thank goodness the football is back-I expect your lot to give as a lead we can actually hang on to this season...
  • edited September 2016

... and new in at 93, with a bullit...

BEST Player at Sky Poker is MattBates
    Day's Best is Mactrad1
    www.PokerSuperHero.com/best

Biggest climber is gez_bear up 26 positions to 60.  There are 6 new entrants in the Top 100 Best Players.  Mactrad1 is the highest new entrant.  The other new entrants are Jew1993 gillian712 Essexphil elvisg1972 Thrifty

well done phil.

• edited September 2016
    Mediocre day-1 final table. Time to take a day off. 31 of my 35 points on challenge 1 come from September, so I am hopeful of ending the month in the top 30-we'll see.

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. Getting there-up to 93rd.

5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament. On track (0.5)

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge : Thanks Sanjay. I'll give you Theo (even if he has never quite become the player that he looked like before signing for you), and Holding looks a good prospect. Your 4th is Jenkinson-you've got as much chance of playing as him :). The rest are, at best, squad players (and, at worst, sold to the first bidder). Don't you secretly wish you supported Spurs? ;). Anyway, thank goodness the football is back-I expect your lot to give as a lead we can actually hang on to this season...
    Posted by Essexphil
    Jenkinson deserves to be there purely by virtue of the fact he is a die hard gooner. Holding is a nice surprise given his torrid first game, which in fairness wasn't really his fault given the circumstances. 

I live closer to Spurs than Arsenal, there's probably only a mile in it, but that isn't reason enough to support the dark side. In the 80s I used to go with one of my school pals to spurs on the odd occasion. I remember a certain game versus Leicester and a certain Mr Gary Lineker gave your defence a torrid time. Even though I was in the home end I couldn't help feel elated when Leicester scored. But for me standing in the old North bank, one of the great terraces of football couldnt be matched and felt much more like home. Not to mention the areas, spurs is a dump and its taken decades for the area to finally get a facelift. The area around Arsenal has been gentrified for many years you can go there when there isn't a football match on and have a nice night out without fear of being muggged!

Keep up the good work at the tables, and hopefully we can see day 5 of a test match soon that hasn't been rained off or England get bowled out! Perhaps we need to go to a 1 day international, they seem very entertaining these days!
  • edited September 2016
    First game I can remember was a Spurs v Leicester, tho pre his Crispness. Not saying it was a drab 0-0, but I remember the Park Lane were shouting for Celtic, and the Paxton Road for Rangers by the end. My (now late) father was proud to say he was in the record crowd in 1938-he also used to shout "come on you lilywhites" much to my embarrassment. COYS.

Only played 1 game today (the 12:00), but safe to say I will be providing an update tomorrow ;)

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Following this with interest, great going Phil, good luck reaching your targets.
  • edited September 2016
    First game I can remember was a Spurs v Leicester, tho pre his Crispness. Not saying it was a drab 0-0, but I remember the Park Lane were shouting for Celtic, and the Paxton Road for Rangers by the end. My (now late) father was proud to say he was in the record crowd in 1938-he also used to shout "come on you lilywhites" much to my embarrassment. COYS. Only played 1 game today (the 12:00), but safe to say I will be providing an update tomorrow ;) Phil
    Posted by Essexphil

ah, i see.  wp.

• edited September 2016

wp phil. 

your latest position as best player is here...

• edited September 2016
    Only played 1 yesterday (the 12:00), as had to go and see the inlaws. I often don't play much on Saturdays, in part because Sundays are always important to any poker player:-it is the day our dreams are crushed/come true (delete as appropriate).

Was lucky enough to win the 1 I did play yesterday. Beat Haysie heads up. May have got a little lucky, but that is no great surprise-he is a very good player. Update:-

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. Getting there-up to 64th.

2. To win a tournament ( 1 tracked as being a £500-plus tourny). Done (won 2)

5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament. On track (0.7)

Phil

PS-hope to beat my previous best of 61st due to play today-we will see.
  • edited September 2016

your latest position as best player is here...

• edited September 2016
    Sundays are usually feast or famine. Was going ok until a 10 minute power cut at 20:10 caused severe damage to some stacks and a break in concentration. Could never really get going after that-just 1 min cash for the day. However, that measly 1 point has been enough to push me to a new highest position.

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. New highest position-56th.

5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament. On track (0.6)

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Felt I played quite poorly yesterday. However, it is easy to forget that sometimes you get more than you deserve-managed a 2nd and another cash. As lucky as Arsenal on Saturday, and about as deserved.

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. New highest position-42nd.

Phil

Need to set new goals to maintain focus. So:-

7. Achieve Top 20 position

8. Achieve top 10 position

9. Final table a 2nd Main or Mini

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    I'm following this thread and well done so far this month Phil

What first attracted you to playing on Sky? 
    You've played across all sites. What has been the reason why you've made Sky your home?
    Toughest opponent on Sky?
    Favourite presenter/poker expert?
    Do bad beat stories drive you mad?
  • edited September 2016
    I'm following this thread and well done so far this month Phil What first attracted you to playing on Sky?  You've played across all sites. What has been the reason why you've made Sky your home? Toughest opponent on Sky? Favourite presenter/poker expert? Do bad beat stories drive you mad?
    Posted by Jac35
    Thanks for the feedback. I would like more people to comment if possible, as that tends to make this sort of thing more interesting. To answer your questions:-

What first attracted you to playing on Sky?  I briefly worked with AceGooner, who was always banging on about how good Sky is, so I thought I would give it a go. I was originally a 10-max player, so took a bit of adjusting

You've played across all sites. What has been the reason why you've made Sky your home?
    2 main reasons. Firstly, the first 2 times I played the Roller, I finished 2nd and then 1st-that kind of run good helps the mindset (I'm sure that has balanced out since). Secondly, this forum and the friendliness of the players and staff here. I hope Sky appreciate the sterling work 10 or 12 posters do in keeping the forum alive (such as you, Olive, TK, Tom etc). It's nice that people care-so, for example, Benchmark-please let us know on the forum that you are ok

Toughest opponent on Sky?
    Probably MattBates. It is not just that he is good (he is), but he invariably hits when he is behind against me. Conversely, I have a habit of doing the same to TommyD, who probably has me tagged as "luckbox" (or worse...)

Favourite presenter/poker expert?
    I like the mixture-it works. For example, Mr Orford and Mr Kendall are both good in their own right, but there is something rather lovely in them squabbling like an old married couple. If I had to pick one it would be Tony, just because I have met him a few times and he is exactly how I had imagined him

Do bad beat stories drive you mad?
    No. When they are used as a way of moving on to the next tournament, they are good. Consequently, I will always listen to the under 5 minute versions-apart from anything else, I like free info on opponents.
    However, 2 related things DO drive me mad. Firstly, people who just won't let it go. Secondly, people who are obsessed with "getting it in good"-knowing when the price is right to "get it in bad" is far more important.

Hope that helps

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Blank day yesterday-due 1 of those. Still 42nd/0.6 per game, and 9th most points in September according to Rob's "month best" chart. It amazes me that the 2nd highest number of games played on that list is 102, while Matt has played 193-he is not short on stamina.

Day off from poker today. It is important to take breaks to refresh the mind-anyway, I have some screaming to do at the tellybox, as Spurs are on....my Wife pretends she cares, but secretly regards football as 22 overpaid primadonnas chasing a bag of wind....
  • edited September 2016
    Best Spurs moment?

I've only been to White Hart Lane once. You got lucky and beat us 2-0. I remember Steve Sedgley scored one of the goals.
    First Spurs team that I really remember was the one with Hoddle, Allen(s) Hazard, Galvin
    I was only about 10 so memory isn't great but Didn't you used to do well in the Cup Winners Cup? 
    Recall Anderlecht? And Tony Parkes?

Gascoigne is my favourite English player ever. I recall him playing at Plough Lane and scoring a great goal. The semi final goal was stunning as well
  • edited September 2016
    Best Spurs moment? I've only been to White Hart Lane once. You got lucky and beat us 2-0. I remember Steve Sedgley scored one of the goals. First Spurs team that I really remember was the one with Hoddle, Allen(s) Hazard, Galvin I was only about 10 so memory isn't great but Didn't you used to do well in the Cup Winners Cup?  Recall Anderlecht? And Tony Parkes? Gascoigne is my favourite English player ever. I recall him playing at Plough Lane and scoring a great goal. The semi final goal was stunning as well
    Posted by

Best Spurs moment? Live it would be Spurs v Norwich, League Cup Final 1973. Truly great Spurs team, that should have won far more than it did. Not a great game, but magical for a 10-yr-old's first trip to Wembley. Best Cup Finals I did not attend but will always live in the memory were the 1981 Replay (Ricky Villa) and the 1987 Final that I watched in Coventry (even though we lost, great game)

Spurs were the first English team to play in the European Cup (1961/2, lost in semi-final), and generally have done far better in Cups than the League. To bore people with my usual joke:-

What does an Arsenal fan do after winning the Champions League? Turn off the Playstation.

Spurs won the Cup winners Cup once, and (more impressively) the UEFA Cup twice-in those days the UEFA Cup was as hard to win as the European Cup, as it was the only competition with multiple teams from the top countries.

Remember listening to the Tony Parks UEFA Cup Final on a radio while travelling on a coach from Dundee to London-happy days. Strange trivia fact-the final penalty save was from Eidur Gudjohnsen's dad-must have been strange for him when he came to Spurs.

Gascoigne was the best English midfielder since that great English Whisky, GlennHoddle-but for the serious injury sustained in the Cup Final, he may have become one of the greatest ever. As great as his goal was in the Semi, I was annoyed that a very good Cup final seemed to be ignored to focus on a player injuring himself with a reckless tackle. Those 2 things summed up what was both so great and so frustrating re Gascoigne-I wish him well.

PS-if Steve Sedgley scored, you must have been bad!
  • edited September 2016
  • edited September 2016
    Felt I played quite poorly yesterday. However, it is easy to forget that sometimes you get more than you deserve-managed a 2nd. Feel a sense of deja vu with these words...but well done (and well deserved) to ctbn for beating me heads up.

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. New highest position-38th.

3. Final table a Main OR Mini. Done (but only once)

4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments. On track (91 so far)

Unlikely to play much today, as sister/brother-in law coming to visit.

Phil
  • edited September 2016

Loving this thread, Phil. It's really quite interesting that when we set ourselves challenges & goals, our results DO improve.

It's no different to business, really - they call them  Forecasts, Budgets, KPI's etc. Same thing.

If it is not an impertinent question, what line of work were you in before you retired?

PS - Your pal acegooner is a VERY sharp cookie.    

• edited September 2016
    Loving this thread, Phil. It's really quite interesting that when we set ourselves challenges & goals, our results DO improve. It's no different to business, really - they call them  Forecasts, Budgets, KPI's etc. Same thing.   If it is not an impertinent question, what line of work were you in before you retired? PS - Your pal acegooner is a VERY sharp cookie.      
    Posted by Tikay10

It's not an impertinent question-mind you, I haven't retired! (Think I am allowed that 1 exclamation mark).
    I'm a Solicitor, who is currently between jobs. I have played poker for a living before, but I am no longer good enough to do that-fun hobby, though.

It may be pure variance that my results are better this month. Mind you, as Gary Player once said:-"The harder I practice, the luckier I get".

I agree that setting goals increases focus. Agree with budgeting, forecasts etc. However, "KPI"s are right up there with "name badges" and "employees of the month" as things that I hope are conspicuously absent from my next job....

Acegooner is smart in everything apart from his taste in football clubs