You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge

Comments

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge:
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge :
    Loving this thread, Phil. It's really quite interesting that when we set ourselves challenges & goals, our results DO improve. It's no different to business, really - they call them  Forecasts, Budgets, KPI's etc. Same thing.   If it is not an impertinent question, what line of work were you in before you retired? PS - Your pal acegooner is a VERY sharp cookie.       Posted by Tikay10 It's not an impertinent question-mind you, I haven't retired! (Think I am allowed that 1 exclamation mark). I'm a Solicitor, who is currently between jobs. I have played poker for a living before, but I am no longer good enough to do that-fun hobby, though. It may be pure variance that my results are better this month. Mind you, as Gary Player once said:-"The harder I practice, the luckier I get". I agree that setting goals increases focus. Agree with budgeting, forecasts etc. However, "KPI"s are right up there with "name badges" and "employees of the month" as things that I hope are conspicuously absent from my next job.... Acegooner is smart in everything apart from his taste in football clubs
    Posted by Essexphil
    Morning Phil,

My apologies, I just assumed you had retired, because of your age.

Have to say, I think it's really great that folks like you retain a sharp mind despite being an OAP.
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge : Morning Phil, My apologies, I just assumed you had retired, because of your age. Have to say, I think it's really great that folks like you retain a sharp mind despite being an OAP.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Shoulda gone to specsavers. Or is it a case of your advancing years turning you into a Kendall Fruitcake?

Yesterday was an important day-nothing to do with poker-my late father's ashes were interred. He was a brave man. Was it because he had "Doris" (my mother's name) tattooed on his arm?-no. It wasn't actually my mum-he had 4 girlfriends at the outbreak of World War 2, and "Doris" was the shortest name (and therefore the least painful).

Was it because he was injured at Monte Cassino?-no. He said 18 monthe in hospital was in many respects the easy way out. He hated war, and the only time I saw him cry was arm in arm with ex-German soldiers, all apologising for the war.

My dad's ashes, at his request, have been interred with my mum AND his in-laws. Brave man, that. Miss you, Syd.

On a less important note, poker-I'll update that separately....
  • edited September 2016

Looked like it was going to be a blank day at poker, but 3rd in the £55 speed redeemed it.

So-update:-

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. New highest position-34th.

2. To win a tournament ( 1 tracked as being a £500-plus tourny). Done (won 2)

3. Final table a Main OR Mini. Done (but only once)

4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments. Done-played exactly 100 so far

5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament. On track (0.6)

6. Make a profit. Small, but I'll take it!

Let's see what Sunday brings...

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge : Shoulda gone to specsavers. Or is it a case of your advancing years turning you into a Kendall Fruitcake? Yesterday was an important day-nothing to do with poker-my late father's ashes were interred. He was a brave man. Was it because he had "Doris" (my mother's name) tattooed on his arm?-no. It wasn't actually my mum-he had 4 girlfriends at the outbreak of World War 2, and "Doris" was the shortest name (and therefore the least painful). Was it because he was injured at Monte Cassino?-no. He said 18 monthe in hospital was in many respects the easy way out. He hated war, and the only time I saw him cry was arm in arm with ex-German soldiers, all apologising for the war. My dad's ashes, at his request, have been interred with my mum AND his in-laws. Brave man, that. Miss you, Syd. On a less important note, poker-I'll update that separately....
    Posted by Essexphil

sounds like you've happy memories of your father, phil.

• edited September 2016
    I have mentioned before that Sundays tend to be feast or famine. Yesterday was far more the former, and was very nearly an excellent day.

Low points:-punting off a half-decent stack in the Roller Blind on Blind v Haysie. I should have been good enough to lay that AQ suited down (he 3-bet shoved with AK); losing a flip heads up (no complaints, forget who had the AQ and who had the 88, but it was always going in for both of us); Donna (Darkangel) bubbling the Punta Cana Semi (boo).

High points:-2nd in the 19:30; 5th in the 19:45; qualifying for the Sky High Roller and the Punta Cana Final

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. New highest position-27th.

4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments. Done-108

5. Average at least 0.5 points per tournament. On track (0.7)

6. Make a profit. Small, but I'll take it! 5-figure profit (if you count the pence), just creeping into the top 50 in monthly profit on Rob's table

Let's see what next week brings...looking forward to the first High Roller-serious bragging rights at stake there...

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Very well played last night in PC semi Phil, just wasn't meant to be. Go on and win a package :)
  • edited September 2016
    Yesterday's highlights:-rose to new high place (26th). Got closer to next positive variance. Er, that's it.

Downside. Couldn't cash anywhere. Knew it wouldn't be my day within 10 minutes-Blind v Blind, i raised with A 5 suited, call. Flop was 432 rainbow. Opponent had 65....I love poker. Onwards and upwards....

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Cheers for the heads up about sitting out a dym Phil.  I did try and thank you in chat but think I bust that same hand.

Best of luck with the rest of your challenge.
  • edited September 2016
    Thanks, and thanks to the various comments in the chat box.

Will have to play better than yesterday, though. Mixture of poor play and grim flips meant a blank day. Typical was the Super Roller-in 1st 10 hands had 4 x AK, and a 10 10-and didn't win a hand. Exit hand followed same pattern-jammed top pair, called by SenorBegs who had a four-flush and 1 overcard-and hit both.

Been a good month so far-cannot complain just because of the odd poor day.

Doubt will play much today-don't like playing much on Wednesdays. Nice to see a few new tournaments appearing...will update on Friday.

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Loving this thread, Phil. It's really quite interesting that when we set ourselves challenges & goals, our results DO improve. It's no different to business, really - they call them  Forecasts, Budgets, KPI's etc. Same thing.   If it is not an impertinent question, what line of work were you in before you retired? PS - Your pal acegooner is a VERY sharp cookie.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    I've never been called a sharp cookie before Tikay. I hope this isn't a misconception, based on the portfolio I designed for you on blonde a few weeks back :)

Philip and I used to work together in the city a few years back, of course both of us being poker nuts made it very easy to get on (and berate each other!) but for me Phil will go down as a poker legend by virtue of winning an mtt on Party during an extended lunch hour. We all went to the pub at Christmas whilst Phil stayed in the office and binked quite a large score hitting the ft when we came back!

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge : What does an Arsenal fan do after winning the Champions League? Turn off the Playstation.
    Posted by Essexphil

I did actually laugh out loud at this Phil, very good. I do feel the need to retort though.

Whats the difference between Frequent Flyer Miles and Tottenham Hotspur? Frequent Flyer Miles earn points :0). 

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge : I did actually laugh out loud at this Phil, very good. I do feel the need to retort though. Whats the difference between Frequent Flyer Miles and Tottenham Hotspur? Frequent Flyer Miles earn points :0). 
    Posted by ACEGOONER[

/ou can do better than that, surely. How about:-

The Tottenham Hotspur Dogwalkers Club was forced to close. It looked promising, but it has been discovered that they are unable to hold on to a lead....

Thanks for the reminder re that poker session at "work"-that one was definitely worth missing the pub ;)
  • edited September 2016
    A bloke is walking past White Hart Lane and sees three season tickets nailed to the wall.

He looks around and quickly takes them before anybody notices.

Nails always come in handy.
  • edited September 2016
    Yesterday is marked down as a "nearly" day. I Final Table-6th. 1 other cash. Bubbled the £55 speed (probably didn't want a call when I was playing the Board!), just missed out in the Main. So lots of top quartiles, but a loss on the day. That is going to happen from time to time-sometimes you use up all your luck in the first hour of MTTs.

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. New highest position-25th.

4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments. Done-108

6. Make a profit. Small, but I'll take it! 5-figure profit (if you count the pence)

Let's see what next week brings. Just 8 days to go-due to the fact that I have only 1 point to lose in the remainder of the month (from late August) feel I am likely to end up top 20, with an outside chance of top 10. There is also the Punta Cana Final to look forward to-we shall see.

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Phil, you have obviously had a very good month and are on track to crush all your targets. Well done that man. I have followed the thread since the start and you have inspired me to start my own. Good luck for the rest of the month and see you on the tables.
  • edited September 2016
    Phil, you have obviously had a very good month and are on track to crush all your targets. Well done that man. I have followed the thread since the start and you have inspired me to start my own. Good luck for the rest of the month and see you on the tables.
    Posted by Dollie
    Thanks-this means a lot. Best of luck to you.

Phil
  • edited September 2016

Best Player of the Day Phil.  Excellent stuff.

www.PokerSuperHero.com/daybest

• edited September 2016
    A "nearly" day of a different kind.

Highlights:-4th in the 3 p.m, 2nd in the 6p.m, 3rd in the 6:45, 9th in the Main. Day's "best player" on Rob's site with 16 points (unless the 2 missing MTTs throw up a better player)

Lowlights:-no wins. This makes an enormous difference to profit (so best player on points, 30th best on profit for the day). Caught stealing from the blind in the Main, got what I deserved ;). Having said that, good day.

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. New highest position-12th.

4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments. Done-147

6. Make a profit. Small, but I'll take it! 5-figure profit (if you count the pence)

Let's see what next week brings. Just 7 days to go-due to the fact that I have only 1 point to lose in the remainder of the month (from late August) feel I am very likely to end up top 20, with a 50/50 chance of top 10. There is also the Punta Cana Final to look forward to-we shall see.

Not liely to play much today-the inlaws are visiting. Inlaws are a bit like Outlaws, only Outlaws are Wanted! Only joking-I like them a lot.

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Solid stuff Phil WP. Just popped in to wish you all the best for the Punta Cana final tomorrow. 

I hope you qualify for many reasons, one of which is to see a pic of you in true soufend style with your knotted hankie and vest walking around in the heat ;0). 
  • edited September 2016

the issue with two missing games is now resolved. 

i am pleased to say that you are still the day's best player.

www.PokerSuperHero.com/daybest

and as for the best player...

www.PokerSuperHero.com/best

• edited September 2016
    Solid stuff Phil WP. Just popped in to wish you all the best for the Punta Cana final tomorrow.  I hope you qualify for many reasons, one of which is to see a pic of you in true soufend style with your knotted hankie and vest walking around in the heat ;0). 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Ty Mr Gooner. any Essex native will tell you it's "Saaaaafen", as we suffer from Irritable Vowel Syndrome...
  • edited September 2016
    Great thread Phil, and best of luck in the PC final.

See you in the main and mini tonight ;)
  • edited September 2016
    Thanks for the good luck wishes.

I have mentioned it before-Sundays tend to be feast or famine. Yesterday was a truly hideous day-the sort where everything that can go wrong, does (only in a poker sense).

The first hand I played set the tone-99 on a AK9 flop. Got it all-in v AK, with a turned K. That set the tone for the day-it wasn't a case of people playing badly and getting lucky-very often, I would have played my opponent's hand as they did (although the person who called my KK shove with 8 6 was an exception-grrrr)

The last 2 hands I played I had big stacks in a £11 and £33, and tangled with 2 even bigger stacks shortly before the bubble. In both hands I had QQ. My oppoments had KK (boo) and JJ (hooray). River cards were K and J (boo, bordering on boo-hoo). Good job it is only a game!

Will continue to grind until end of the month, then probably time for a break. I pride myself on being mentally strong, but yesterday was a grim day. We all have those days, but they are sometimes tough to take. It's somehow so much easier to gloss over the days when the reverse happens ;).

1. To achieve my highest place on the rolling monthly stats on Aussie's excellent site. I am currently in 925th, but my highest placing is 61st. New highest position-12th, currently 13th.

4. Play in 100 tracked tournaments. Done-164

Let's see what next week brings. Just 5 days to go-due to the fact that I have 0 points to lose in the remainder of the month (from late August) feel I am very likely to end up top 20, with a 50/50 chance of top 10.

Hope for a better day today.

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Perhaps you were due a bad day after such a good day on Friday. Nice one. I note you are Spurs fan so we'll be in opposite corners when my team visit White Hart Lane on Sunday. Good luck for this week, but hard luck on Sunday :).
  • edited September 2016
    Perhaps you were due a bad day after such a good day on Friday. Nice one. I note you are Spurs fan so we'll be in opposite corners when my team visit White Hart Lane on Sunday. Good luck for this week, but hard luck on Sunday :).
    Posted by Dollie
    gonna be a good game Gordon both played us off the park "which isn,t hard" two very good sides one will win the league
    wp Phil great results
  • edited September 2016
    There is also the Punta Cana Final to look forward to-we shall see. 
    Posted by Essexphil

Umm - hate to break this to you Phil but I think the last PC final was last night?

Best of luck in your challenges x
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: EssexPhil's Sky's the Limit September Challenge : Umm - hate to break this to you Phil but I think the last PC final was last night? Best of luck in your challenges x
    Posted by IrishRose
    It was-I remember who was 1st out....:( Love to be able to whinge about that one, but played JJ really badly-much like my cutting and pasting