You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Winning £s, losing lbs

Comments

• edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Winning £s, losing lbs:
    In Response to Re: Winning £s, losing lbs : OMG Insanity programme, just be prepared not to be able to sit down comfortably on rest days. A friend of mine is doing it and he's in a right tangle. Cut out sugar if you take it, you'd be amazed how much you could lose just cutting that out. Good luck to you.
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Yes it is very tough!
  • edited January 2017
    Hi Waller, seen you around on the DYM tables... best of luck with your resolutions for 2017. I'm in a similar position but female & around 14 stone but I'm 5'11" so it doesn't show. Looking to lose a couple of stone in 2017 and build up a decent poker bankroll through DYMs. With regards to the cheat day idea, I would also agree this is probably a bad idea. What you could do is maybe cook up a healthy alternative to a takeaway as there's tons of recipes for pizzas, curries, chinese/asian food that are lower calorie.
    Posted by lolly22
    Yeah I recognise the name. You're the one who always seems to be on the button when I'm in the big blind with 4 left.......it's not enjoyable! :)

Yeah I have sacked the cheat day off after advice from a few others saying not to have one.

Thanks for posting and see you on the tables
  • edited January 2017
    Nice thread waller lad, interesting read.
    I'm attempting a similar thing with the dym + the odd mtt.
    But mine will involve mainly plo8, maybe a little holdem.

You seem to be off to a good start, I shall follow this thread with interest.
    I had a good start, but one night of madness put be back a bit 
    I am currently in the red, unlike you, but i will continue with my quest.

Good luck on the tables, and good luck with the flat belly thing.

Regards Alan (plo8 "I will beat it" champ)

• edited January 2017
    The DYMs were tough yesterday. When you're sat at the tables with the likes of Mayhem, Dialbi, Denty, Kgee, Mumsie and Lolly, then you need to be playing your A game to make any money.

I wasn't playing my A game.

I ended the session quite well though to claw back a lot of the losses and was surprised to find that I only ended up £7 quid down, which was basically the rake. I had earlier taken down rainman's deepy for just shy of £50 so it was far from disastrous. But I really want to beat these DYMs!

Have to say though I am really enjoying the challenge. For the past couple of years I have just being going through the motions as far as poker is concerned, just playing for the sake of it. I even had a period of around 3-4 months where I hardly played at all, but this challenge has renewed my love of the game and I find myself itching for a game in the evenings again.

Results (Sunday):
    Played: 25
    Won: 13
    Win %: 52%
    Profit: -£7

Year:
    Played: 158
    Won: 92
    Win %: 58.2%
    Profit: £43

Away from the tables, the health kick is going well. I have resisted the urge for unhealthy snacks in-between meals and opt for a piece of fruit instead.

I tried Quorn for the first time yesterday. Now, I have to say that I have nothing but respect for Mo Farah, he is one of our country's finest ever sportsmen.....but he is talking out of his backside when it comes to Quorn. It is safe to say that I won't be trying any other Quorn based products.

Started Insanity properly today which kicked off with the Fit Test. This involves doing 8 different exercises, completing as many reps as you can in a minute. You log down your results and take the test every 2 weeks to see how much you improve.

Here are the results:

Switch Kicks: 77
    Power Jacks: 29
    Power Knees: 55
    Power Jumps: 25
    Globe Jumps: 7
    Suicide Jumps: 11
    Push Up Jacks: 17
    Low Plank Obliques: 32

I am shattered!

Weigh day today....
    Start Weight: 18st 3lbs
    Current Weight: 18st 2lb
    Total Loss: 1lb

So, only a pound lost but it has only been a few days, plus I did have that chinese on my daughters birthday so I wasn't expecting to lose much.

Next update in a couple of days or so.

• edited January 2017
    Nice thread waller lad, interesting read. I'm attempting a similar thing with the dym + the odd mtt. But mine will involve mainly plo8, maybe a little holdem. You seem to be off to a good start, I shall follow this thread with interest. I had a good start, but one night of madness put be back a bit  I am currently in the red, unlike you, but i will continue with my quest. Good luck on the tables, and good luck with the flat belly thing. Regards Alan (plo8 "I will beat it" champ)
    Posted by ajmilton
    Cheers for posting AJ.

I have been reading your diary for a while but have never posted as plo8 is a foreign language to me. I have tried to play it before but I could never get the hang of it.

I loved your "life story" posts though, they were a great read and really well written. 

Here's to a profitable 2017 on the DYMs for the pair of us!

• edited January 2017
    Quorn really is grim isn't it :/

I bought some more frozen Quorn mince today, seduced by the nutritional value info (and it was on offer in Tesco) but I'm really not looking forward to eating it so it was probably a mistake.

Nowt worse than being really strict and getting to meal times really hungry and it's something you don't really like. Not good for diet morale.

Is there any way u can link us to this programme you're doing? I've never heard of most of those exercises on the list!

Keep it up mate. Most people advise against frequent weigh ins, as in every day or 2 but I found it worked well for me, when the scales were mean it motivated me to try harder, when they looked good it encouraged and reassured me that I wasn't wasting my time and I'm doing the right things so it was easier to keep disciplined.

A personal thing maybe!

• edited January 2017
    Well Waller - I blame/thank you for you being the kick in the rear that I've needed to get started myself.  I bought a fitbit early last year (might have even been the year before now that I think about it) and yet it's stayed firmly in it's box winking at me each time I pass it.  I finally got it out and set it up just before midnight last night and I've been walking round all day like a looney trying to get my step count up.  I don't enjoy excercise and will drive everywhere if there's parking - even to the corner shop at the bottom of my road.  However I'm determined to up my step count and ditch the motor for short journeys.

The diet/healthy eating will start next week (slimming world hopefully as ladies I know who've done it swear by it - I'll prob be swearing at it though!).  I hate fruit, veg and salad and any form of cooking (takeaways for the win usually!) so healthy eating is going to be great fun.

Take my hat off to you for starting this thread.  Hope you'll continue to be my inspiration :)   

Best of luck - both on the tables and on the scales xx

(PS Quorn is supposed to be ok in bolognaise etc as long as you add it at the end of cooking rather than the start as it will keep it's texture better rather than becoming almost like sludge. 
  • edited January 2017
    Enjoyable read, like the comment about Sir Mo and the Quorn  - I could never bring myself to eat that either!
  • edited January 2017
    Quorn really is grim isn't it :/ I bought some more frozen Quorn mince today, seduced by the nutritional value info (and it was on offer in Tesco) but I'm really not looking forward to eating it so it was probably a mistake. Nowt worse than being really strict and getting to meal times really hungry and it's something you don't really like. Not good for diet morale. Is there any way u can link us to this programme you're doing? I've never heard of most of those exercises on the list! Keep it up mate. Most people advise against frequent weigh ins, as in every day or 2 but I found it worked well for me, when the scales were mean it motivated me to try harder, when they looked good it encouraged and reassured me that I wasn't wasting my time and I'm doing the right things so it was easier to keep disciplined. A personal thing maybe!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yes mate, Quorn is awful! I'm not eating it again, there are plenty of other sources of nutrition that are healthy and taste far better!

Regarding the link, I'm not sure. I had a mate who copied it onto my memory stick for me. Try looking at Beachbody.com - Shaun T, Insanity deluxe. Shaun T does a couple of other programmes too although I can't remember the names, I think one is T25.

I'm doing the original Insanity though. I think it costs about £90 to buy the DVDs, although I could be be wrong, they might be cheaper now. Also, it is available via another source but I shouldn't really post it on here so if you're interested then drop me a pm and I'll explain.

It's really hard but after a few sessions I feel great, more awake etc. I'm aching all over but it's worth it.

Hope you're well. I read your last post on your thread and was sorry to see you are having a bit of a tough time again.

Cheers for posting mate.
  • edited January 2017
    Well Waller - I blame/thank you for you being the kick in the rear that I've needed to get started myself.  I bought a fitbit early last year (might have even been the year before now that I think about it) and yet it's stayed firmly in it's box winking at me each time I pass it.  I finally got it out and set it up just before midnight last night and I've been walking round all day like a looney trying to get my step count up.  I don't enjoy excercise and will drive everywhere if there's parking - even to the corner shop at the bottom of my road.  However I'm determined to up my step count and ditch the motor for short journeys. The diet/healthy eating will start next week (slimming world hopefully as ladies I know who've done it swear by it - I'll prob be swearing at it though!).  I hate fruit, veg and salad and any form of cooking (takeaways for the win usually!) so healthy eating is going to be great fun. Take my hat off to you for starting this thread.  Hope you'll continue to be my inspiration :)    Best of luck - both on the tables and on the scales xx (PS Quorn is supposed to be ok in bolognaise etc as long as you add it at the end of cooking rather than the start as it will keep it's texture better rather than becoming almost like sludge. 
    Posted by IrishRose
    Hey Rose, how are you?

Had to laugh because I am/was the same when it came to driving everywhere when I really could have walked. My local shops are only a 5 min walk, but because it is all uphill and I was lazy I would always drive.

Now I just send my missus instead.....

Nah I've taken to walking, losing pounds and saving petrol money. Win/Win.

My sister lost 2 and half stone with slimming world. It really works and she was surprised about some of the foods she could still eat. 

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!
  • edited January 2017
    Enjoyable read, like the comment about Sir Mo and the Quorn  - I could never bring myself to eat that either!
    Posted by Brrrrrrr
    I forgot it was SIR Mo.

Sorry Sir Mo, you're still wrong.
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Winning £s, losing lbs : Yes mate, Quorn is awful! I'm not eating it again, there are plenty of other sources of nutrition that are healthy and taste far better! Regarding the link, I'm not sure. I had a mate who copied it onto my memory stick for me. Try looking at Beachbody.com - Shaun T, Insanity deluxe. Shaun T does a couple of other programmes too although I can't remember the names, I think one is T25. I'm doing the original Insanity though. I think it costs about £90 to buy the DVDs, although I could be be wrong, they might be cheaper now. Also, it is available via another source but I shouldn't really post it on here so if you're interested then drop me a pm and I'll explain. It's really hard but after a few sessions I feel great, more awake etc. I'm aching all over but it's worth it. Hope you're well. I read your last post on your thread and was sorry to see you are having a bit of a tough time again. Cheers for posting mate.
    Posted by waller02
    Certainly much better than I was a few weeks ago, I'll be weighing in for the first time since Health Kick #2 started this Friday so I'll give a brief update then. 

It's been a tough 10 days on the exercise grind, but things are beginning to feel abit easier again. 

Its noticeable how quickly things seem to improve fitness wise once you get going.

But also how quickly they can go backwards when you slip up.

Swingy Game :)

Keep it up! 

• edited January 2017
    Quick poker update.....

Having a tough time at the tables, particularly tonight. Not running well and not playing particularly well either. Just switched off for the night after being one outered, it hurt and confidence is low. For every winning session I have, I lose it all again on the next one. 

I'm tempted to drop down to the 3's for a bit but will make that decision on Monday.

Had the pleasure of bumping into the infamous baggio tonight. The chat box was inundated with his free coaching combined the occasional insult. Nice chap. 

Results (Mon, Tues and Wed):
    Played: 56
    Won: 31
    Win %: 55.3%
    Profit: -£9

Total:
    Played: 199
    Won: 113
    Win %: 56.8%
    Profit: £35

Away from the tables, I have remained disciplined with the diet and exercise regime. I will give a full update after I have been weighed on Monday.

• edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Winning £s, losing lbs : Certainly much better than I was a few weeks ago, I'll be weighing in for the first time since Health Kick #2 started this Friday so I'll give a brief update then.  It's been a tough 10 days on the exercise grind, but things are beginning to feel abit easier again.  Its noticeable how quickly things seem to improve fitness wise once you get going. But also how quickly they can go backwards when you slip up. Swingy Game :) Keep it up! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    You should try Insanity. You can do it in the comfort of your own home, you hardly need any space to do it and you don't need any equipment as it mainly focuses on body weight exercises such as press up's etc. 

I wouldn't do it in a room with a carpet though as you sweat buckets. I do it on a hard wood floor and have to clean it when I'm finished.

Gl with your health kick!
  • edited January 2017
    hi Ryan
    gl with everyting your doing but just a quicky
    i was listning to an intrview with Ed Sheeran while he was touring he ate and drunk what he wanted and when he finished he carried on eating and drinking what he wanted,he put 3 half stone on .
    so he did the alternate regime which was a 10 minute regime everyday it was running, what he did was sprint for 30 seconds then jog for 30 seconds he lost his weight in no time he obviously curbed his pizzas and beer to acheive his goal
    just a thought mate
  • edited January 2017
    Well Waller - I blame/thank you for you being the kick in the rear that I've needed to get started myself.  I bought a fitbit early last year (might have even been the year before now that I think about it) and yet it's stayed firmly in it's box winking at me each time I pass it.  I finally got it out and set it up just before midnight last night and I've been walking round all day like a looney trying to get my step count up.  I don't enjoy excercise and will drive everywhere if there's parking - even to the corner shop at the bottom of my road.  However I'm determined to up my step count and ditch the motor for short journeys. The diet/healthy eating will start next week (slimming world hopefully as ladies I know who've done it swear by it - I'll prob be swearing at it though!).  I hate fruit, veg and salad and any form of cooking (takeaways for the win usually!) so healthy eating is going to be great fun. Take my hat off to you for starting this thread.  Hope you'll continue to be my inspiration :)    Best of luck - both on the tables and on the scales xx (PS Quorn is supposed to be ok in bolognaise etc as long as you add it at the end of cooking rather than the start as it will keep it's texture better rather than becoming almost like sludge. 
    Posted by IrishRose

Rose gotta catch em all lol 
  • edited January 2017
    hi Ryan gl with everyting your doing but just a quicky i was listning to an intrview with Ed Sheeran while he was touring he ate and drunk what he wanted and when he finished he carried on eating and drinking what he wanted,he put 3 half stone on . so he did the alternate regime which was a 10 minute regime everyday it was running, what he did was sprint for 30 seconds then jog for 30 seconds he lost his weight in no time he obviously curbed his pizzas and beer to acheive his goal just a thought mate
    Posted by stokefc
    Hi stoke

Yeah this is called fartlek training, I used to do it a lot when I was in the army. It gets you REALLY fit and trains your body to recover faster after exercise.

I hate running though, always have, always will. It's another reason why I opted to do circuit training instead. The programme I am doing is high intensity followed by a short rest, then doing it all again. So it's quite similar but without having to go out for a run.

Cheers for posting mate, see you on the tables.
  • edited January 2017
    Update time....

I haven't played much poker since my last update. I only played 19 DYMs on Friday and haven't played since. It was a winning session though, for a change.

Results (Fri):
    Played: 19
    Won: 13
    Win %: 68.4%
    Profit: £26

Total:
    Played: 218
    Won: 126
    Win %: 57.8%
    Profit: £61

I have my completed my first full week of healthy eating and exercise and I feel a lot better for it so far. I certainly feel more awake and alert during the day.

I have rediscovered foods that I had not eaten for years such as Plums for example. I had genuinely forgotten how good these guys taste and am making up for lost time by having one a day!

The exercise has been tough....really tough. 

I was on the receiving end of many a "beasting" during my time in the Army and I have to say that this Insanity programme is right up there, although at least I can stop for a breather without having a PTI screaming in my face!

I go through a whole range of emotions when it comes to working out:

1. Pre workout - Severe lack of motivation, nerves and a hint of fear.
    2. The workout - Feeling like I may faint, vomit, cry or die at any given time.
    3. Post workout - I feel great....buzzing. I ache less and less each day. The post workout elation more than makes up for the feelings that I experience beforehand.

I had previously misread the training table, saying it was a 3 month programme. It turns out that it's a 9 week programme, with the first 4 weeks containing a mix of all the routines that I have already carried out during my first week. So I know what to expect for the next 3 weeks.......PAIN (although I do find myself enjoying it).

Last week I completed the following routines:

Monday - Fit Test (see earlier post)
    Tues - Plyometric Cardio Circuit (high intensity circuit training with a 30 sec rest inbetween circuits)
    Wed - Cardio Power and Resistance (same as above but using different exercises)
    Thurs - Cardio Recovery (a mixture of yoga and other stretching techniques, plank work, deep muscle work)
    Fri - Pure Cardio (non stop cardio routine)
    Sat - Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Sun - Rest Day (much needed)

Today was weigh day and I was staggered when I stepped onto the scales. I had to weigh myself 3 times check that I wasn't seeing things!

This week I lost 6lbs. I thought this seemed excessive as I had always thought that losing 2lbs a week was considered the healthiest way to lose weight. So, I did some research (well google) and apparently it is normal to lose a lot for the first week or 2 so there is no need to be concerned.

I am religiously monitoring my calorie intake with "My Fitness Pal" and I'm eating anywhere between 1800 - 2000 calories a day, so I know that I'm eating enough.

Start Weight: 18st 3lb
    Current Weight: 17st 10lb
    Total loss: 7lb

Roll on next weigh day!
  • edited January 2017
    Hi. Good luck with your poker goal.

Feel I would like to 'weigh' in (groan) with my thoughts on your weight loss goals. Speaking from experience, me and my partner decided to go to gym a year and a half ago (I had just changed jobs, going from a physical one to being a bus driver) and to eat a lot better. 

Firstly, I would only weigh yourself once a month. Your body fluctuates a lot with the amount of water, fat and food it retains and using this as your only guide can lead to false impressions good or bad. By all means you can have cheat days, but the word cheat should be changed to relax. As in, for a day you can relax the restraints you put on what you eat and drink because the rest of the time you are eating properly.

If you eat smaller meals, a little more regularly your body is taught that it doesnt need to hold on to your fat stores quite so well as it is recieving regular intakes. Good old fashioned excercise and better eating go a long way to being healthy and losing weight. The best cardio is anything that elevates your heart rate for over twenty minutes and interval training is the best form. 

Good luck and once you get into the habit you'll find it far harder to fall back in to the bad ones.
  • edited January 2017
    excellent results, well done! :)

• edited January 2017
    Hi. Good luck with your poker goal. Feel I would like to 'weigh' in (groan) with my thoughts on your weight loss goals. Speaking from experience, me and my partner decided to go to gym a year and a half ago (I had just changed jobs, going from a physical one to being a bus driver) and to eat a lot better.  Firstly, I would only weigh yourself once a month. Your body fluctuates a lot with the amount of water, fat and food it retains and using this as your only guide can lead to false impressions good or bad. By all means you can have cheat days, but the word cheat should be changed to relax. As in, for a day you can relax the restraints you put on what you eat and drink because the rest of the time you are eating properly. If you eat smaller meals, a little more regularly your body is taught that it doesnt need to hold on to your fat stores quite so well as it is recieving regular intakes. Good old fashioned excercise and better eating go a long way to being healthy and losing weight. The best cardio is anything that elevates your heart rate for over twenty minutes and interval training is the best form.  Good luck and once you get into the habit you'll find it far harder to fall back in to the bad ones.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for posting.

I know weighing myself monthly will give a more accurate indication about how I'm doing, but I know for a fact that I won't be able to go that long without stepping on the scales. I struggle to wait a week as it is!

Dohhhhhhh has previously mentioned that he used to weigh himself every couple of days to see how he was doing. I just think that weighing myself weekly will give me more motivation to stick at it.

I'm sure there will be weeks where I have eaten well and worked my balls off only to find that I have lost little or no weight and vice versa. It will all even out in the end though......I hope.
  • edited January 2017
    excellent results, well done! :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Cheers mate!

Good luck with the spinning. A workmate of mine used to go a lot and there were a couple of things he mentioned that stand out.

1. Be prepared for your pride to be dented by the sight of a man or woman in their 60's without a bead of sweat on them whilst you're dripping and blowing out of your backside.

2. Sitting on the bike directly behind the most attractive lady in the class significantly boosts morale.

I look forward to hearing about how you get on.
  • edited January 2017
    Quick poker update.

Played a few games over the past couple of nights and the winning run is continuing for now. I have looked back over a few hands recently to try and identify any leaks. It can be difficult at times to know whether or not certain hands were played correctly, but I'm trying to learn. 

DYM training sites or videos seem hard to come by online. Any tips??

Results (Mon and Tues):
    Played: 23
    Won: 14
    Win %: 60.9%
    Profit: £13

Total:
    Played: 241
    Won: 140
    Win %: 58.1%
    Profit: £74

Switching off early tonight.

Going to watch the rest of the Lincoln game and hope that Ipswich can pinch a winner. I work in Lincoln and they are Grimsby's biggest rivals. Life at work will be tough for a while if Lincoln go on to win. They are outplaying a championship side and deserve to go through, but I would never admit that to the lads at work!

GTFC!
  • edited January 2017
    SIGH!

An ex Grimsby player scores the winner too. 

Can't wait for work........
  • edited January 2017
    Yo waller lad, ckeck your pm's
  • edited January 2017
    Well done waller, good first week of results on the fitness regime.

Think I need to start one myself, up to 15st 2lb.
    Also prefer the circuit type training regime.
    Used to train/teach Kung-Fu, 5 days/week, many years ago.

Possible week holiday near end of March ( target 8weeks)

Where you get info on your 9 week course?.

• edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Winning £s, losing lbs : Cheers mate! Good luck with the spinning. A workmate of mine used to go a lot and there were a couple of things he mentioned that stand out. 1. Be prepared for your pride to be dented by the sight of a man or woman in their 60's without a bead of sweat on them whilst you're dripping and blowing out of your backside. 2. Sitting on the bike directly behind the most attractive lady in the class significantly boosts morale. I look forward to hearing about how you get on.
    Posted by waller02

haha scary how much I relate to those after going last night.

I was convinced my bike settings were different to others, I was dripping, my towel was soaked and then one lass opposite me looked like she hadn't done anything, she was cruising.

9 women, 1 fat old bloke and me tho. (call it 9 women and 2 fat old blokes if you like) so it wasn't all bad.

• edited January 2017
    Good solid results there 
  • edited January 2017
    Yo waller lad, ckeck your pm's
    Posted by ajmilton
    I have replied Alan. Cheers
  • edited January 2017
    Well done waller, good first week of results on the fitness regime. Think I need to start one myself, up to 15st 2lb. Also prefer the circuit type training regime. Used to train/teach Kung-Fu, 5 days/week, many years ago. Possible week holiday near end of March ( target 8weeks) Where you get info on your 9 week course?.
    Posted by Red_King
    Thankyou Red.

Yeah I'm the same as you, I prefer circuit training rather than running.  

The programme was downloaded onto my memory stick by a mate. I believe it can be found at Beachbody.com Insanity Deluxe, or just try googling Insanity - Shaun T.