You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Winning £s, losing lbs

Comments

• edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Winning £s, losing lbs:
    In Response to Re: Winning £s, losing lbs : haha scary how much I relate to those after going last night. I was convinced my bike settings were different to others, I was dripping, my towel was soaked and then one lass opposite me looked like she hadn't done anything, she was cruising. 9 women, 1 fat old bloke and me tho. (call it 9 women and 2 fat old blokes if you like) so it wasn't all bad.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yeah my workmate is in reasonable shape but he said spinning was a whole new ball game!

Are you going again or are you going to concentrate on the running? 

You mentioned going swimming on your thread, as well as spinning. Have you considered training for a triathlon? It could be a good way to mix up the training regime. Unless you enjoy running, then running, then running, then running.....in which case ignore me.
  • edited January 2017
    Good solid results there 
    Posted by Jac35
    Cheers Jac.

It's very early days though.

Congrats on hitting 10k the other day. I do read your thread, I'm just a bit lazy when it comes to posting. I will make sure that I post more on other people's diaries/threads this year though, seeing as people are taking the time to post on mine.

• edited January 2017
    good luck with your goals Waller but i would say id love to be 35 again lol which is your prime, im 50 now in march  5ft 10 and 12st 8lbs and have just now gone from a 32" to a 34" waist after much grief from my mrs : ) but i have been told which i beleive that middle age is 55 these days apparently, all joking aside your diet and exercise is really important imo while playing poker for long hrs, I try to eat and rest well and take the dog out for a hr each day, thats as far as im going at my age. all the best and good luck at the tables
  • edited January 2017
    check your pm's again Rick lad ..
    there's 2 new one's this time lol
  • edited January 2017
    http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-transfer-talk-rams-linked-with-prolific-league-two-striker/story-30077418-detail/story.html
    Posted by Jac35
    No mention of how much you are prepared to pay. Personally I would be happy if we could get around the £2 million mark, he is a bit of a gamble for a championship club and although I'm not sure he will be as prolific, I think he would still be a good signing.

I was expecting him to stay until the summer as there had been no mention of any offers in our local press.
  • edited January 2017
    check your pm's again Rick lad .. there's 2 new one's this time lol
    Posted by ajmilton
    Replied.

Thanks again mate
  • edited January 2017
    Quick update on the poker.

Haven't played a great deal of DYMs over the past few nights as I mainly play tournaments during the weekend. Only managed to play a total of 35 DYMs with mixed results.

Results (Wed-Sat):
    Played: 35
    Won: 19
    Win %: 54%
    Profit: -£2

Total: 
    Played: 276
    Won: 159
    Win %: 57.6%
    Profit: £72

I have buckled on a couple of occasions when it comes to the diet this week, massively on one night!

I was in my local shop and saw that Ben and Jerry's was on offer for £2. Being a poker player, I'm always looking for value, well that's my excuse anyway! I was in heaven whilst eating the full tub but I was so annoyed with myself for being weak after I had finished it.

I have still been working out but I need to make sure that I stay disciplined when it comes to the diet, otherwise it will all be for nothing. I'm dreading weigh day tomorrow!

Yesterday I found out that my eldest daughter has got a boyfriend. My missus told me that they had been seeing each other for weeks but she didn't want to tell me because they reckon I might have been overprotective.

Ridiculous! I got my missus to show me his facebook profile, so I now know what he looks like, where he lives, what school he goes to, how old he is and who his friends are. I have to say that he seems like a nice lad so they needn't have worried.

• edited January 2017
    Good luck with the weigh in.
    Love the checking out of daughters new beau thing :) I was Exactly the same.
    When it's a son getting a new girlfriend it'd be pats on the back and "well done son" lol.so fickle us dads.
  • edited January 2017
    keep it going waller bud, all the best to fitness and plenty £'s!
  • edited January 2017
    Good luck with the weighing Waller.
    My sister just seeing a lad and my dad was also the last person to find out haha.
  • edited January 2017
    Cheers for the good luck messages.

Yeah, it seems that Tom has hit the nail on the head. I guess Dads will always be overprotective when it comes to our daughters, it's because we know what lads are like!
  • edited January 2017
    Right, I will get the disappointing news out of the way first. I have put on weight this week!

I mentioned in an earlier post that my diet had taken a hit on a couple of nights in the last week. One full tub of Ben and Jerrys and a takeaway. I was weak and I'm so annoyed with myself. I thought that because I was still working out that I would lose some weight even whilst eating junk. I was wrong.

I did fear the worst before stepping on the scales earlier, with good reason because I have put on 2lbs. The only positive that I can take from this is that it has proven to me that in order to lose weight I have to remained disciplined with my diet.

I will not put on weight again. I don't wanna feel this pi**ed off again!

Last weeks exercise programme was the same as week one but in a different order:

Mon - Cardio Power and Resistance
    Tues - Pure Cardio
    Wed - Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Thurs - Cardio Recovery
    Fri - Cardio Power and Resistance
    Sat - Pure Cardio / Cardio Abs
    Sun - Rest Day

Today I completed the Fit test for the second time. The results are listed below alongside the results from week 1 in brackets.

Switch Kicks - 90 reps (77) 
    Power Jacks - 32 reps (29)
    Power Knees - 64 reps (55)
    Power Jumps - 29 reps (25)
    Globe Jumps - 8 reps (7)
    Suicide Jumps - 15 reps (11)
    Push Up Jacks - 19 reps (17)
    Low Plank Obliques - 39 reps (32)

So there is an improvement in the number of reps per minute for every one of the 8 exercises. I don't feel any fitter than I did 2 weeks ago but the results don't lie so I guess this programme is doing some good......now I just need to stop eating junk!

Starting Weight: 18st 3lbs
    Current Weight: 17st 12lbs
    Total loss: 5lbs

Onto the poker now. I would like to say that there is better news here but I'm afraid there isn't. I only played 18 DYMs last night but I really didn't play well. I wasn't fully focussed as I had half an eye on the snooker and this is reflected in the results.

Results (Sun):
    Played: 18
    Won: 8
    Win %: 44.4%
    Profit: - £19

Total:
    Played: 294
    Won: 167
    Win %: 56.8%
    Profit: £53

MUST DO BETTER!

Next update in a few days or so.

• edited January 2017

Good post Rik, I never doubted you, but it's important to report the bad stuff as well as the good. 

Although the weight has gone up, the fitness is clearly improving which will make it easier to get it (and more) back off. 

You know what you've done wrong and sounds like you're motivated to put it right. 

I know alot of people are following your progress without posting, keep battling on! 
  • edited January 2017

On the subject of diet, I've started going the gym, and one of the instructors has kind of taken me under his wing. 

He isn't 'my' personal trainer or anything, but he gave me my induction and set up a personalised workout routine for me after discussing my goals.

On the subject of diet, he focussed so much on Sugar.

Like he obsessed over it. 

Previously I'd been looking at the usual, calories, fats, saturated fat. 

But he said I was massively under-estimating the detremental effects of sugar.

Not just added sugar, but the sugars in fruit and even veg. 

So this week I've knocked fruit on the head altogether. Cut out any veg that isn't green. And the only meat Im eating is chicken. 

Porridge and unsweetened almond milk for breakfast every day and for snacks (if I must)  ((I must...)).

Dawned on me yesterday that I'll probably never be able to get a packet of custard creams and eat the whole lot in one go ever again. 

Makes me feel sad that I didn't make the most of being able to do that when I was 20 stone and didnt give a F. 

Oh to be supet fat again :/

• edited January 2017
    http://bretcontreras.com/sugar-the-sweet-truth/

I skimread this recently after a fitness youtuber linked it and said sugar really isn't a big deal and you should focus on getting the other numbers correct. Lots of different opinions in the fitness world, just thought i'd give you the other side incase you miss the fruit too much! 
  • edited January 2017
    On the subject of diet, I've started going the gym, and one of the instructors has kind of taken me under his wing.  He isn't 'my' personal trainer or anything, but he gave me my induction and set up a personalised workout routine for me after discussing my goals. On the subject of diet, he focussed so much on Sugar. Like he obsessed over it.  Previously I'd been looking at the usual, calories, fats, saturated fat.  But he said I was massively under-estimating the detremental effects of sugar. Not just added sugar, but the sugars in fruit and even veg.  So this week I've knocked fruit on the head altogether. Cut out any veg that isn't green. And the only meat Im eating is chicken.  Porridge and unsweetened almond milk for breakfast every day and for snacks (if I must)  ((I must...)). Dawned on me yesterday that I'll probably never be able to get a packet of custard creams and eat the whole lot in one go ever again.  Makes me feel sad that I didn't make the most of being able to do that when I was 20 stone and didnt give a F.  Oh to be supet fat again :/
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    After seeing Nick's post I don't know what to think.

I'm just going to carry in as I am. I'm not going to stop eating fruit as it is one of the healthy foods that I actually enjoy. I don't have sugar in my tea or on cereal etc. so it's not as if I have a high sugar intake anyway.

Wp in the HR the other night btw
  • edited January 2017
    http://bretcontreras.com/sugar-the-sweet-truth/ I skimread this recently after a fitness youtuber linked it and said sugar really isn't a big deal and you should focus on getting the other numbers correct. Lots of different opinions in the fitness world, just thought i'd give you the other side incase you miss the fruit too much! 
    Posted by nickd49931
    Interesting article, thanks for the link Nick.

Certainly food for thought!

(I'm here all week).
  • edited January 2017
    Quick midweek update.

Poker is grim at the minute. I think I may be playing for too long during each session as it is normally during the last hour where things start to take a turn for the worse. I think I lose focus, so I'm going to cut each future session down to a maximum of 2 hours whether I'm winning or losing and see if that has a positive effect on my results.

If that doesn't work then I'm going to have to face up to the fact that I might just be s***. I have managed to get my hands on some training videos so I intend to watch those in the near future.

It's not exactly panic stations just yet, I'm basically losing to the rake, so a few tweaks and shorter sessions could start the old bankroll going back in the right direction. Time will tell!

Results (Mon, Tue, Wed):
    Played: 62
    Won: 34
    Win %: 54.8%
    Profit: -£1

Total:
    Played: 356
    Won: 201
    Win%: 56.5%
    Profit: £52

So at the minute I'm thinking my 1k profit goal might have been a tad ambitious....but I like a challenge!

I've been a good boy this week, avoided any unhealthy foods, cut out any snacking and I've worked out every day. I will be surprised if I haven't lost any weight on Monday, although I am going to the pub on Friday night for a mates birthday (I was toying with the idea of not going, but he's a good mate).

Won't be playing any poker until the weekend now.

Next update on Monday.

• edited January 2017
    Haven't played any poker since my last update. This was mainly due to the stinking hangover that pretty much wrote off my Saturday. I'm not sure how much I had to drink during my night out on Friday but I do know that I didn't feel human again until yesterday morning. The times when I could sink 10 pints at night and still function the following day are long gone!

The rest of the weekend was spent watching either football or tennis. It was great to see Federer win a slam again, I didn't expect him to win another one and I certainly didn't expect to see him in a final against Nadal again either. 

On the flip side, it wasn't so great to see Lincoln produce another shock and progress to the 5th round of the cup. I'm really hoping they draw Sutton away and get hammered now!

I stuck to the diet and exercise this week (apart from the night out on Friday and skipping Saturday's workout due to the hangover from hell). 

My workout programme for last week was:

Mon - Fit Test (see earlier post for results)
    Tue - Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Wed - Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs
    Thurs - Cardio Recovery
    Fri - Cardio Power and Resistance
    Sat - Hangover!
    Sun - Rest Day

I can feel myself improving with the workouts. I'm lasting longer and needing to take fewer breathers. I also ache a lot less than I used to when I first started.

It was weigh day today. I was slightly concerned about what effect my night out would have had on my results but was pleased to see that I had lost weight. It was only a pound but a loss is a loss and with no more nights out planned for the near future I'm feeling confident that I can do this!

Starting Weight: 18st 3lbs
    Current Weight: 17st 11lbs
    Total loss: 6lbs

I plan to play some poker for the next few evenings so will have an update on the results during the midweek.

• edited February 2017
    Pretty poor week on all fronts so far.

Poker isn't going great and life is tough right now too.

Omar Bogle has indeed left my beloved Grimsby Town to join Wigan, despite all assurances that he wasn't for sale. The club handled the situation badly in my opinion. I sat there all night on deadline day watching the live feed on the GTFC website and not once was there any mention of any serious offers. At 10:30 it was announced that we had signed a midfielder followed by more news at 10:50 informing the fans that we had loaned a young striker from Everton. 

So 10 minutes until deadline and all the while there was not a single mention of Bogle leaving. Maybe he was staying afterall? If only! At ten past 11 the news filters through that he has joined Wigan for an undisclosed fee followed by a link to Wigan's twitter feed showing a photo of Bogle, wearing a Wigan shirt, in Wigan, signing the forms.

The club obviously knew he had gone to Wigan to discuss terms etc. so why keep the fans in the dark? We still don't know how much we got for him either. 

Ah well, it's only a game.

My real struggle right now though is the situation that my family are in regarding my dear old Nan. We lost my Grandad 4 months ago to a short illness. My Nan's mental and physical wellbeing has taken a rapid turn for the worse since he died.

My Nan is the closest thing to a Mum that I have. My mum died when I was 7 and my Dad has never been a part of my life so my Nan took me and my sister in and brought us up. I love the woman to bits and will be eternally grateful for what she did for me and my sister when we were kids.

It's shocking and sad to see her the way she is now. She has lost all sense of what day it is or what time it is. I go to the shop for her most days but then she will ring the house in the middle of night thinking that it is the morning. She won't go to the doctors, out of fear we think. Most of my family live quite a few miles away whereas I live in the next street, so it's left to me and the missus to care for her. It's the least I can do after all she has done for me but it's hard seeing her like she is and not knowing what to do for the best.

I just can't believe how much she has changed in 4 months. It's as if the grief of losing my Grandad has broken her mentally. My missus' Nan has dementia, she's had it for a couple of years, and she isn't nearly as bad as my Nan seems to be. I try to tell my uncle how bad she is but his response is that she's an old lady who is going through a rough time. I see her on a daily basis and I know it's more serious than that!

I don't know what to do. Like I said, she won't see a doctor, she certainly won't go into a home and my uncle seems to be ignoring the situation.

I'm not going to stop caring for her though. It's her that needs me this time and I won't let her down. 

• edited February 2017
    Pretty poor week on all fronts so far. Poker isn't going great and life is tough right now too. Omar Bogle has indeed left my beloved Grimsby Town to join Wigan, despite all assurances that he wasn't for sale. The club handled the situation badly in my opinion. I sat there all night on deadline day watching the live feed on the GTFC website and not once was there any mention of any serious offers. At 10:30 it was announced that we had signed a midfielder followed by more news at 10:50 informing the fans that we had loaned a young striker from Everton.  So 10 minutes until deadline and all the while there was not a single mention of Bogle leaving. Maybe he was staying afterall? If only! At ten past 11 the news filters through that he has joined Wigan for an undisclosed fee followed by a link to Wigan's twitter feed showing a photo of Bogle, wearing a Wigan shirt, in Wigan, signing the forms. The club obviously knew he had gone to Wigan to discuss terms etc. so why keep the fans in the dark? We still don't know how much we got for him either.  Ah well, it's only a game. My real struggle right now though is the situation that my family are in regarding my dear old Nan. We lost my Grandad 4 months ago to a short illness. My Nan's mental and physical wellbeing has taken a rapid turn for the worse since he died. My Nan is the closest thing to a Mum that I have. My mum died when I was 7 and my Dad has never been a part of my life so my Nan took me and my sister in and brought us up. I love the woman to bits and will be eternally grateful for what she did for me and my sister when we were kids. It's shocking and sad to see her the way she is now. She has lost all sense of what day it is or what time it is. I go to the shop for her most days but then she will ring the house in the middle of night thinking that it is the morning. She won't go to the doctors, out of fear we think. Most of my family live quite a few miles away whereas I live in the next street, so it's left to me and the missus to care for her. It's the least I can do after all she has done for me but it's hard seeing her like she is and not knowing what to do for the best. I just can't believe how much she has changed in 4 months. It's as if the grief of losing my Grandad has broken her mentally. My missus' Nan has dementia, she's had it for a couple of years, and she isn't nearly as bad as my Nan seems to be. I try to tell my uncle how bad she is but his response is that she's an old lady who is going through a rough time. I see her on a daily basis and I know it's more serious than that! I don't know what to do. Like I said, she won't see a doctor, she certainly won't go into a home and my uncle seems to be ignoring the situation. I'm not going to stop caring for her though. It's her that needs me this time and I won't let her down. 
    Posted by waller02
    sorry about your nan waller I hope things turn around for you

• edited February 2017
    Sad to see r/l is throwing up trials. Hope things smooth out for you and your family.
  • edited February 2017
    Really sorry to hear how tough it is for you all right now 
  • edited February 2017
    hope all goes well for you and your family. apologies for any previous digs please forgive me
  • edited February 2017
    be strong bud all the best
  • edited February 2017
    Sorry to hear bout your Nan mate be strong for her.
  • edited February 2017
    Sorry to hear about your nan, be strong for your family.
    If in your opinion, from daily observation, it's more psychological than physical condition.
    If she won't see a doctor, can you get her to see a grief counsellor?
    Simply talking with your nan about your grandad in a positive manner could help her.
    Hope things turn around for you soon.
  • edited February 2017
    Sorry to hear about your nan, be strong for your family. If in your opinion, from daily observation, it's more psychological than physical condition. If she won't see a doctor, can you get her to see a grief counsellor? Simply talking with your nan about your grandad in a positive manner could help her. Hope things turn around for you soon.
    Posted by Red_King
    +1

Also, a lack of food or drink can effect the way the brain functions. People often don't bother to eat and drink enough when they are grieving and get on a downward spiral.
  • edited February 2017
    Thanks for all your kind words, they really are appreciated.

Apologies for sending the thread on a bit of a downer, I've just had a whole mix of emotions that I have kept bottled up for weeks and I had to let it out. Once I started typing I couldn't stop but it was good to get it out of my system. A bit of forum therapy if you like!

Sp Sp - you have nothing to apologise for, I was just as bad. It's all water under the bridge, no hard feelings here.

Red King/Quickfeet - The thing with my Nan is that she is an "old school" tough old bird (meant in the kindest possible way). She never lets her emotions show, I have never seen her cry, not even when my Grandad died. Also, I have little or no say in any decision about what to do about the situation she is in. 

I have Aunts and Uncles who are responsible for making any decision regarding my Nan, but as previously mentioned, they only see her once every couple of weeks because of where they live. I see her nearly every day and have seen the rapid decline in her health, particularly her mental health.

I will go to the shop for her and she will buy the same things over and over again. Cheese and Onion crisps for example, even though she had LOADS of them in her cupboard. She will tell me to put £50 on her gas meter card even though I'd done this the previous day. I buy her fish and chips but then she is on the phone to my sister saying she is starving because she's had nothing to eat all day. It's in the last couple of weeks where the phone calls in the middle of the night have started, with her thinking that its the morning.

It's all just a bit of a shock to the system. I tell my uncle everything but he says when he saw her she seemed fine, just a bit confused. But he's not the one seeing her nearly every day!

Ugh, I'm starting to rant again anyway so I'll leave it there! At the end of the day my Nan is 84 so she has had a good innings which is quite remarkable given the fact she has smoked 40 a day since she was 14. Love her to bits!

Thanks again for the kind words and advice.

Normal service will be resumed tomorrow with a poker/weight update. I will try to keep things more upbeat in future posts!