You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Winning £s, losing lbs

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Hi Ryan
    Really sorry to hear of your nans decline, it must be really tough for you and her at present.
    It helped me enormously to post my feelings on the forum, the majority of folk on here will understand and offer support.
    Best wishes.
    Tom
  • edited February 2017

Hi Ryan, you need to get  some professional help for Nan m8. With her being so confused just get her doctor out to see her
      and take it from there. If all they do is get a care package in place at least you will know she is eating etc.
      Had this with my Dad when his dementia started, so know how you feel m8.
  • edited February 2017
    I agree with pom, she needs help. Ive some experience of whats happening to your nan.Losing their partner tends to put them on a donward spiral, giving up and not caring.It may be her mind is just confused by her loss, and a big change in routine.They forget to eat, and wash.You need to be careful that she doesnt wander off in the night, or has a fall.Maybe you have a friend of a friend that may work as a care worker, or similar.
    Even the most timid of grans can turn very stubborn.My mates mum lived in the same road as his gran, looked after her, popping in three times a day.Then one day she answered the door, and she said to her daughter, who are you?That was that.Grans house was sold to fund a care home stay.She lasted 2years with constant care. I can see you may be concerned about maybe some friction that may arise with your relatives, but you need to convince them, and dont worry about any fallout. glgl.
  • edited February 2017
    Sorry to hear about your nan. I would echo the sentiments expressed by Pom and chilling. Hope things pick up a bit for you and good luck with the diet and poker challenges too!
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Winning £s, losing lbs:
    Hi Ryan Really sorry to hear of your nans decline, it must be really tough for you and her at present. It helped me enormously to post my feelings on the forum, the majority of folk on here will understand and offer support. Best wishes. Tom
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Hi Tom,

Yeah I had been bottling things up for a few weeks, mainly due to the fact that my family seem oblivious to how bad my Nan is getting. It felt good to write it all down and get it out of my system.

Hope you're well mate and thanks for posting
  • edited February 2017
    Hi Pom/Chilling/Marky.

Yeah I fully agree that professional guidance is needed here. 

I'm just in a difficult position because she has repeatedly said she does not want to see a doctor and it could potentially cause a rift with the rest of the family. Since my Grandad died my Uncle has been the "head" of the family so to speak, he organised the funeral etc. and any decision must really be made by him.

All I'm doing is making sure either myself or my missus see her every day and everytime she does something "out of character" I tell the rest of the family. I'm sure they will realise soon enough how bad she is getting.

I don't know what else I can do really. One thing for sure is that I'm appalled by the lack of concern that certain members of my family seem to be showing. We have never been a particularly close family so it doesn't really surprise me.

You can choose your friends and all that....
  • edited February 2017
    Time for the weekly update...

I have hardly played any DYMs in the past week as I have had a crazy week at work. I only managed to get 40 games in and ended up with a small loss. I'm still struggling to get a decent run together. I have been experimenting with playing 6 tables and I think that was having a negative effect on my game. I'm going to go back down to 4/5 tables and hope things turn around. I will stick to the £5s for as long as I remain in overall profit, however, I will drop down to the £3s if or when I start to lose money.

My bankroll has had a significant boost courtesy of running deep in 3 mtts over the weekend along with a £270 winning footy bet. So, I'm not getting hurt in the pocket by the DYMs (in fact I'm still slightly up) but my confidence is low. I'm still reviewing hands etc. and hope to see an improvement in the near future.

Results:
    Played: 40
    Won: 21
    Win %: 52.5%
    Profit: -£10

Total:
    Played: 396
    Won: 222
    Win %: 56%
    Profit: £42

The diet and exercise regime had been going well. At least I though it had until I got weighed today. I put on a pound and I'm struggling to think how this is possible. I have eaten healthily all week and busted my balls with the workouts. I'm not too downhearted by it though as I know that as long as I keep doing what I'm doing then weight will drop off in the long run, or it better had anyway!

It has been a month since I last tasted, smelt or licked a pork and pickle pie. I don't know how to feel about this. I should be proud but I miss them immensely. Stay strong. We'll meet again in 2018 as long as I have hit the target weight.

Last weeks regime was as follows:
    Mon - Pure Cardio / Cardio Abs
    Tues - Cardio Power and Resistance
    Wed - Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Thurs - Cardio Recovery
    Fri - Pure Cardio / Cardio Abs
    Sat - Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Sun - Rest

Starting Weight: 18st 3lbs
    Current Weight: 17st 12lbs
    Total loss: 5lbs

• edited February 2017
    I would definitely try and get a GP to do a home visit for your nan. Maybe go to the surgery and explain the situation and get their advice on how to handle it. 

It's great that you are helping, but please try and get others to share the workload (any friends/neighbours, local charities, if the family are not pulling weight) get professional help where it is needed and engage with social services if appropriate.
  • edited February 2017
    I would definitely try and get a GP to do a home visit for your nan. Maybe go to the surgery and explain the situation and get their advice on how to handle it.  It's great that you are helping, but please try and get others to share the workload (any friends/neighbours, local charities, if the family are not pulling weight) get professional help where it is needed and engage with social services if appropriate.
    Posted by Phantom66
    There has been some progress regarding this. See post below
  • edited February 2017
    Time for the weekly update.

I will get the poker out of the way first, where I made the error of having a trial run at the 11's. I was feeling flush after a few deep runs in mtts and a couple of nice returns from footy bets. That flush feeling soon disappeared after losing all 5 of the £11 DYMs that I played. I didn't do a lot wrong, got down to the bubble each time and got the chips in ahead as the aggressor in most of the games, just wasn't to be!

So, trial run over and back to the 5's I went. I managed to claw back some of the losses but overall it has made a BIG dent in my already small profit. 

Lesson learnt though, no more 11's until I can show a consistent profit with the 5's. Back to square one and my £1k profit target is looking very doubtful at this stage. I'm still enjoying the challenge and won't be throwing in the towel.

Results:
    Played: 77
    Won: 41
    Win: 53.2%
    Profit: -£37

Total:
    Played: 473
    Won: 263
    Win%: 55.6%
    Profit: £5.....sigh

Away from the tables it has been a mixed week. Things finally seem to be sinking in with the rest of my family regarding the current situation with my Nan. My Uncle informed me that he has been getting similar phone calls in the night from her thinking it was the morning. Apparently he arranged a hospital appointment for the beginning of next month a couple of weeks ago. Nice of him to keep me in the loop! Families eh! At least something is finally been done about it though. Me and the missus will keep looking after her in the meantime.

Grimsby Town confirmed that life without Omar Bogle is going to be tough by losing 5-0 to a Crewe side who hadn't won any of their previous 11 games. Any hopes of a play off place look pretty slim right now. It was good to see Bogle score a brace on his full debut for Wigan though and he even kept Will Grigg on the bench for the following game. It appears he is no longer on fire.

We had a party for my daughter's 10th birthday on Friday night. We hired out an inflatable play area thingy with slides and ball pits etc. for a couple of hours and let the 40 odd kids run riot. It was ruined slightly by a bully who seemed to make it his mission to make some of the others cry. I asked my daughter why she invited him if he is a bully and she told me it was because she daren't not invite him. Kids! Her actual birthday is tomorrow on Valentines day. This saves me money on Flowers and Chocolate every year because I always tell the missus that I gave her a Valentines baby which is far more expensive that a few roses and a box of Milk Tray. 

The diet is going well. I did have a slice of birthday cake at the party but I avoided the temptation of all the other party food, which looked so so good! 

The Insanity programme was at the Recovery Week stage last week so I expected it to be really easy. It turned out that it was just less insane and more on the level of a regular workout and still pretty tough. It was the same workout everyday - Core Cardio and Balance.

This week's programme is going to be really tough if today's was anything to go by, but I will save that for next week's update.

I only lost a pound last week which I find puzzling given that I'm eating well and working out. I'm drinking 10 cans of Coors light a week which I'm beginning to think might be slowing things down a bit. I'm planning to knock this on the head and have a dry March. It's my birthday at the end of the month so I will be drinking a lot then, but come March I will be as sober as judge and see what effect that has on my results.

All in all I feel good. Fitter and healthier and nearly half a stone lighter. Still a long way to go though.

Start Weight: 18st 3lbs
    Current Weight: 17st 11lbs
    Total loss: 6lbs

Will update again next week.

Have fun all!

• edited February 2017
    Nice update Waller!

Glad things seem to be headed in a better direction with your nan and good work so far with the diet.
  • edited February 2017
    Cheers marky!

I would have liked to have lost more but I don't think the fact that I'm still having a drink helps. Let's see what a dry March can do.

All the best with the plo8 league you have set up. I would play and show my support but I would just be burning money, I have tried to play before but couldn't get the hang of it. A bit like these dyms!
  • edited February 2017
    There will be no update this week.

I am having a new bathroom fitted which will take up pretty much the whole of the week. The house is an absolute dusty mess!

I am having to shower at my mates house as we will have no shower or bath until Thurs night or Friday morning. Everything that was in our old bathroom is currently being stored in our front room and I'm pretty stressed out at the minute, but it will all be worth it in the end!

Anyway, due to the lack of ablutions and lack of space in the front room, I haven't been working out this week. I will resume with what was supposed to be this weeks programme on Monday and will have a full update the following week.

Have fun all!
  • edited February 2017
    And I thought that I could make up some pretty good excuses for not working out or dieting!
    WpWp
  • edited February 2017
    And I thought that I could make up some pretty good excuses for not working out or dieting! WpWp
    Posted by Jac35
    I'm still dieting! :)
  • edited February 2017
    There will be no update this week. I am having a new bathroom fitted which will take up pretty much the whole of the week. The house is an absolute dusty mess! I am having to shower at my mates house as we will have no shower or bath until Thurs night or Friday morning. E verything that was in our old bathroom is currently being stored in our front room and I'm pretty stressed out at the minute, but it will all be worth it in the end! Anyway, due to the lack of ablutions and lack of space in the front room, I haven't been working out this week. I will resume with what was supposed to be this weeks programme on Monday and will have a full update the following week. Have fun all!
    Posted by waller02
    Plenty of room outdoors, get out for a run ;) 

----

Do you eat/drink much milk?

Cereals/porridge?

Unsweetened almond milk is a great sub for normal milk. 

per 100ml.....

Semi skimmed milk = 1.8g fat  // Almond milk = 1.1g fat

SS = 1.1g SAT Fat // AM = 0.1g

SS = 4.8g Sugar, // AM = 0.0g Sugar

SS = 50 calories // AM = 13 calories.

I genuinely believe it tastes much nicer too, especially in porridge, giving it a nutty flavour. 

I eat tonnes of milk, porridge every morning and whenever I'm hungry between meals I normally get Rice Kirpsies or Cornflakes, so using this as a substitute saves me hundreds of calories per week. And loads of sugar too. 

Almond milk has a much longer "use by" life, so when it's on offer like it is now in Asda, you can clear the shelf. 

I came out with 11 bottles of it the other day, as thats all they had :( 

• edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Winning £s, losing lbs : Plenty of room outdoors, get out for a run ;)  ---- Do you eat/drink much milk? Cereals/porridge? Unsweetened almond milk is a great sub for normal milk.  per 100ml..... Semi skimmed milk = 1.8g fat  // Almond milk = 1.1g fat SS = 1.1g SAT Fat // AM = 0.1g SS = 4.8g Sugar, // AM = 0.0g Sugar SS = 50 calories // AM = 13 calories. I genuinely believe it tastes much nicer too, especially in porridge, giving it a nutty flavour.  I eat tonnes of milk, porridge every morning and whenever I'm hungry between meals I normally get Rice Kirpsies or Cornflakes, so using this as a substitute saves me hundreds of calories per week. And loads of sugar too.  Almond milk has a much longer "use by" life, so when it's on offer like it is now in Asda, you can clear the shelf.  I came out with 11 bottles of it the other day, as thats all they had :(  https://groceries.asda.com/product/milk-cream/alpro-almond-milk-unsweetened-chilled/910000906754
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH[/QUOTE

I don't do running mate, hate it with a passion.

I don't really eat much cereal either or drink enough milk to warrant substituting it for almond milk. I didn't realise that there was that much sugar in milk though, very surprised to read that!

Hope your running is going well.

• edited February 2017
    I'm doing a dry March too. Going in the pub for a couple of pints tomorrow evening then that's it until the evening of April 2nd for me. Which hopefully will be more of a post-marathon celebration drink than a post-marathon anesthetic ;)

I've done dry months many times before, three of them in 2016 for example, February, June and November. I've done birthday to Christmas dry several times too, which works out to be exactly 100 days for me. From about 17yo to 40ish I was a heavy drinker. It never became a problem, but I'd drink at least 2x or 3x the recommended units each week. In my experience after about 5 or 6 days of the dry month I stop missing and thinking about the beer. Around about the same time I notice I'm getting better quality sleep and feel slightly healthier than before, especially in the morning. The rest of the month is pretty much plain sailing.

That first beer in April will taste incredible, delicious. After a period of going without it you enjoy it so much more than when it's just a regular thing. Funnily enough that actually encourages future dry months, or shorter spells going without. You learn to think of beer as a luxury that's much more enjoyable when it's an occasional treat.

Good luck.
  • edited February 2017
    I'm doing a dry March too. Going in the pub for a couple of pints tomorrow evening then that's it until the evening of April 2nd for me. Which hopefully will be more of a post-marathon celebration drink than a post-marathon anesthetic ;) I've done dry months many times before, three of them in 2016 for example, February, June and November. I've done birthday to Christmas dry several times too, which works out to be exactly 100 days for me. From about 17yo to 40ish I was a heavy drinker. It never became a problem, but I'd drink at least 2x or 3x the recommended units each week. In my experience after about 5 or 6 days of the dry month I stop missing and thinking about the beer. Around about the same time I notice I'm getting better quality sleep and feel slightly healthier than before, especially in the morning. The rest of the month is pretty much plain sailing. That first beer in April will taste incredible, delicious. After a period of going without it you enjoy it so much more than when it's just a regular thing. Funnily enough that actually encourages future dry months, or shorter spells going without. You learn to think of beer as a luxury that's much more enjoyable when it's an occasional treat. Good luck.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Cheers Gary. Good luck with your dry month too and the marathon.

It's my birthday today so I'm having having a few beers at home with a takeaway. Then that's it. 100% no alcohol, healthy eating and working out like a machine!

EDIT: I'm assuming that you are running for charity? If so, post the link and I'll happily donate.
  • edited February 2017
    Have a good and profitable day Waller. More candles.
  • edited February 2017
    Have a good and profitable day Waller. More candles.
    Posted by chilling
    Ty chilling. 

Poker + A few ales + An indian = Perfect night.

Gl at the tables
  • edited February 2017
    Happy birthday and enjoy your indulgences!
  • edited February 2017
    Happy Birthday mate, enjoy the curry!

Looking forward to reports of you crushing it in March. 
  • edited February 2017
    Thanks for the offer, but this one is just for the fun of it.

Have a great birthday, I hope the poker gods reward your dry month with some good karma at the tables.
  • edited February 2017
    Happy birthday wally lad have a good one :-)

• edited February 2017
    Cheers for the birthday wishes. The Indian takeaway was closed last night and I had a -£60 night at poker, although I did buy into the main event as a treat so it wasn't too bad.

So that's it, no more booze until the first weekend in April and back to working out now my house is finally back in order.

My next full update will be on Monday. I haven't weighed myself since the last update and I'm fearing the worst. I had a full day on the ale on Saturday with the lads followed by a night on the ale last night, with a pizza. This is combined with the fact that I didn't work out once last week due to the bathroom/house issue. 

I'm back in the game now though, just hoping I haven't put too much weight on. 

Here's to a hangover free March!
  • edited March 2017
    So it's time for the long overdue update.

I'll start with the poker. I haven't played a great deal over the last couple of weeks and when I have been playing, it has mainly been MTTs as I was playing at the weekends so had plenty of time on my hands. I have got a few DYMs in though and have managed to claw back some of the losses I made after having the trial run at the 11s.

Results (since last update):
    Played: 59
    Won: 37
    Win %: 62.7
    Profit: +£46

Total:
    Played: 520
    Won: 300
    Win %: 56.4%
    Profit: +£51

The plan for the next few weeks is to try and up the volume to see if I can manage to get myself a spot in the 2nd chance freerolls as part of the VLV leagues. I have also opted in for the Mission Las Vegas promo and will be playing a few VLV sats as I realllllly wanna go, but judging by my efforts so far I don't fancy my chances! Certainly doesn't help when the sats are crammed with players who are far better than me. I can dream though.

Away from the tables I am going ahead with a dry March as planned. This was severly tested by the fact that I had completely forgotten about the Haye v Bellew fight being on coupled with the fact that I had invited a couple of friends round to watch it. I ended up telling my mates they would have to watch it elsewhere as I didn't want to sit there watching them get leathered. They understood.....I think. So it was the first time in years that I sat down on my own (well my missus was there but she doesn't count) watching the fight without a beer. Great fight though.

Got back into the fitness regime last Wednesday after the bathroom/house issue followed by a very heavy birthday weekend which involved a lot of drinking and unhealthy food.

It was a proper struggle but I'm getting back into the swing of it now and I am back on the strict diet. I was never going to diet on my birthday, you only live once afterall.

So last weeks exercise programme was as follows:

Mon - Birthday (day off)
    Tues - Severe hangover (day off)
    Wed - Max Cardio Conditioning
    Thurs - Max Recovery
    Fri - Max Interval Circuit
    Sat - Max Interval Plyo
    Sun - Rest Day

I mentioned in an earlier post that I hadn't weighed myself since the last update and was dreading stepping back on the scales after a week of no exercise, heavy drinking and a couple of days of eating junk. I was half expecting to be back in the 18st club but although I have put on a little weight, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Start Weight: 18st 3lb
    Current Weight: 17st 13lb
    Total loss: 4lb

I have no excuses now, have knocked booze on the head for the month and I'm going for some serious weight loss this month!

Next update on Monday. Have fun all and best of luck to anybody trying to qualify for Vegas!
  • edited March 2017
    Time for the weekly update and it's a mixed bag this week. The DYMs have taken a turn for the worse. I upped the volume in order to try a get myself a half decent stack in the 2nd chance freeroll but my results suffered terribly. Having thought about it I have decided it's not really worth sacrificing the results for the sake a freeroll because, unlike me, the chances are very slim of actually binking a package from a 200 runner tournament.

So, this week I will be taking my foot off the gas, playing shorter sessions and really trying to focus on winning back some of the losses. Looking at the amount of time I played last week and the final league table, I think I can still sneak a freeroll place by playing a lot less anyway. I'm not too fussed either way now, I just want to enjoy playing again because at times last week I was having a horrid time and really not loving the game! I am starting to wonder if DYMs are a format of the game that I will never beat but I'm not throwing in towel just yet.

My BR is still very healthy as I am fairing slightly better with the MTTs but this diary has always been about the DYMs....It gets frustrating when I can't seem to get a decent run going with them and the bad results hurt more when you have committed to posting them in a diary. Let's see how this week goes anyway!

Results (since last update):
    Played: 136
    Won: 69
    Win %: 50.7%
    Profit: - £60

Total:
    Played: 668
    Won: 369
    Win %: 55.2%
    Profit: - £9

I plan to give it a couple of more weeks and if things don't improve then I will drop down to the 3's and hope the tide turns.

Dry March is tough. Much tougher than I thought it would be. Not being able to have a drink whilst going on the worst DYM run of the year is beyond tough! Right now all I can say on the matter is roll on the first weekend in April, where I intend to get leathered.

Diet is going well, staying disciplined. I only tended to eat junk at the weekends in the past anyway and all I have thought about during the weekend this month is how much I would murder a cold beer so this has actually helped regarding the food. I have discovered a frozen fruit topper thingy from my local supermarket and have that with fat free yoghurt if I ever feel like a snack. 

The exercise has got really really really hard. I thought the first 4 weeks were insane but the next level after that is absolutely crazy. The routines are so much tougher and about 15 mins longer. I never knew that there were so many variations of the push up. You do push up jacks, balance push ups, V pushups, power push ups, side push ups and moving push ups along with the good old fashioned push up. In the Max Interval Plyo routine you do appox 200 of the various push ups and that's as well as all the other stuff.

My upper body aches in places that I didn't even know COULD ache.

Last weeks programme.
    Mon - Max Cardio Conditioning
    Tues - Max Interval Circuit
    Wed - Max Interval Plyo
    Thurs - Max Recovery
    Fri - Max Cardio Conditioning
    Sat - Max Interval Sports Training
    Sun - Rest Day

I lost a couple of pounds this week so at least the lack of booze is counting for something.

Start Weight: 18st 3lb
    Current Weight: 17st 11lb
    Total loss: 6lb

Next update on Monday. Have fun all.

• edited March 2017

Good week mate, consistency will get you to where you wanna be!

Keep grinding on.
  • edited March 2017
    Re the DYMs. I always find focussing too much on points is a distraction and you end up losing more than you could ever win in a promotoin (although VLV is pretty special)

With a losing streak, it's always worth looking back on each tourney and thinking could you have done things better... Are you committing to pots when you are behind or are you getting a run of bad beats? Did you play too many hands? ...or too few? Did you play aggressively enough whenever you got involved in a pot?