You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Official Viva Las Vegas Thread

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Congrats to last nights winners, just watching 2009 event on 865, whats happened to Will Brewin is he still active on here?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: The Official Viva Las Vegas Thread:
    Congrats to last nights winners, just watching 2009 event on 865, whats happened to Will Brewin is he still active on here?
    Posted by Lightwood
    He is taking a break from Online Poker at present, & playing Live Cash Games in London, but I spoke to him a week or two back, he's fine, & in fact he was back on Sky Poker last week.
  • edited May 2010
    Big congratulations to LUFC1982 for coming top of such an incredibly strong field.

As I understand it he/she won all the way through from a quarter final, so has therefore won a £10K package for £13, or maybe even less if entry to the quarter-final was via a qualifier.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for the reply TK....now you put it all like that it all makes sense that a June qualifer isn't workable.

I was planning on being there for the 150, but a last minute thing has come up so not sure....still hoping to get there before registration ends tho, just hope the traffic is kind....
  • edited May 2010
    what a great game last nite ,congrats 2 lufc and direwolf ,vul ooooooo but wat a brave call from lufc with a 2 for your tourney life . gl in vegas lufc . enjoy your 9 grand dire fantastic. i will try again this month went out in 7th. wd both. winner56.
  • edited May 2010
    More sats........ more semis....... more more more!!!  Let's get at least 2 packages for the next one.  I'm sure a midweek semi would get more than 10 runners therefore be worth running.  You could also have some £60 DON's running etc etc.  What i'm saying is there are very few people on Sky that can afford the £1.1k buyin but many people who can splash £50/£100 about quite happily until they get a seat.  1 x 1in10 sat per week just isn't enough imho
  • edited May 2010
    Congratulations to LUFC1982 (and there won't be many Huddersfield Town fans generous enough to say that) ;-)
  • edited May 2010
    More sats........ more semis....... more more more!!!  Let's get at least 2 packages for the next one.  I'm sure a midweek semi would get more than 10 runners therefore be worth running.  You could also have some £60 DON's running etc etc.  What i'm saying is there are very few people on Sky that can afford the £1.1k buyin but many people who can splash £50/£100 about quite happily until they get a seat.  1 x 1in10 sat per week just isn't enough imho
    Posted by cottlad
    Good effort last night Mr Cott.

You got knocked down, you bounced up again, you got knocked down......one more bounce back & I'm sure you would have been in the mix.

Hey-ho, hopefully you can get the job done in the May Final.

The May Final is the final Final, the April one was the penultimate one, & I'm reliably assured by an old buffer that the March Final was the antepenultimate one. ;)

• edited May 2010
    Can anyone say,  are there more 'player point' satellites for the May Vegas seat ..

None in the lobby  and I understand there would be,   maybe someones forgot ?
  • edited May 2010
    Can anyone say,  are there more 'player point' satellites for the May Vegas seat .. None in the lobby  and I understand there would be,   maybe someones forgot ?
    Posted by bennydip2
    Hi Benny,

Please see my reply to a similar question from scotty77, further up this page.

If I may ask, why did you "understand there would be", as it has never been suggested anywhere that it would be repeated in May? In fact, it was asked a week or so back on this Forum, & after consulting with Suit-Ville, Sky_Rich came back & said, words to the effect, "there are no current plans so to do".

Either way, I will ask the question again tomorrow morning, when the appropriate Suits are all back in harness.

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: The Official Viva Las Vegas Thread : Hi Benny, Please see my reply to a similar question from scotty77, further up this page. If I may ask, why did you "understand there would be", as it has never been suggested anywhere that it would be repeated in May? In fact, it was asked a week or so back on this Forum, & after consulting with Suit-Ville, Sky_Rich came back & said, words to the effect, "there are no current plans so to do". Either way, I will ask the question again tomorrow morning, when the appropriate Suits are all back in harness.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I could be  wrong, (but I never admit it) I thought it was announced on TV about these points could  be used in satellites for  VLV just gone last night  and this  last one coming up  !!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: The Official Viva Las Vegas Thread : I could be  wrong, (but I never admit it) I thought it was announced on TV about these points could  be used in satellites for  VLV just gone last night  and this  last one coming up  !!
    Posted by bennydip2
    No, so far as I know, that is not correct I'm afraid.

But I'll ask the question again, of course.

I confess I had not previously noticed your reluctance to admit you are never wrong.
  • edited May 2010

A new Viva Las Vegas Blog which covers Sunday's VLV final has been Posted today - it's HERE
  • edited May 2010

Qualifying is now under way for the third & last of this years Viva Las Vegas Finals, which will take place on May 30th.

THREE players are already in that Final, including a VLV Veteran from last year, Tony Hayes, from Swansea, aka "Haysie", who was such a top bloke for Team Sky Poker in Vegas in 2009. Tony is 72 years of age.

HAYSIE5000Jackpot885000VGOOCH5000
    Daily Feeders & Quarter-Finals, & Weekly Semi-Finals, will continue all month.

The Sky Poker VLV Team so far is.....

Penguin7

JazzyJ

lufc1982

In addition, Dan Brown will be part of Team Sky Pokeer in Vegas, as part of his Total Player prize. 

The Support Crew - Attila & myself - fly out to Vegas on July 1st, to set a few things up, & the plan is for the players to fly out 1 day later, & we'll meet them at the Airport. The next day, we go with them to the Registration Desk to sort their Registration out for the Main Event.

Only about 6 weeks to go - can't wait. Get qualifying!  
  • edited May 2010
    Good Morning Mr Kendall,
    I would like to let you know that I have just got off the phone to Sir Marmaduke Evans-Jones-Jenkins the most eminent Barrister in Wales and one of of only three people worldwide with a triple barreled name.His father represented Richard Burton for over forty years.He made the family fortune out of his divorces from Liz Taylor.So when you commenced trifling with me regarding these ageist comments,did you think I would stand for it,or merely engage a two bit, double barelled Barrister.Well think again,you can face all three of Sir Marmadukes  barrels, when we see you in court.I am sure you will then regret your libellous comments,and you will pay for them.Prepare to beg for mercy.I will only admit to being seventy one and three quarters.See you in court,bring your wallet.
    On a more serious note I have booked to go to Vegas.It was such a great experience I wasnt going to miss it this year.I know Nutter has also booked,and Dan has qualified so it will be like old times.I have booked to play 3 tournaments,which are two of the $1500  buy ins and one of the $1,000 buy in.Been looking forward to it for ages,I am sure it will be a trip to remember.
    Haysie
  • edited May 2010

Lol, God Bless you Haysie!

Well get that package won man, but if you don't, you know you are welcome to run, rail & chill with Team Sky Poker in Vegas, & I hope you do, your contribution to the Team Spirit in Vegas last year was massive.

I hereby appoint you as Honorary Team Sky Poker (Welsh Department) Official Railer in Vegas.

See you in The Rio.
  • edited May 2010

Good luck to those who have (so far) qualified for today's VLV Semi-Final at 9pm tonight.

23 are in so far, with hourly Qualifiers all this afternoon, right up to 6.10pm, so upper twenties, maybe 30+, look likely, meaning 2 + a bunch of cash or even three go through to the Final.

The 23 in so far (as of midday Sunday) are.....

1BIGFLAME12500
    alpine2500
    angie552500
    BADBOY142500
    bobo1502500
    CALLANIE2500
    cinys2500
    dippydora2500
    dunno_who2500
    FERGIE782500
    FITF32500
    FlashFlush2500
    gez_bear2500
    HAILHAIL882500
    Kaas_kop2500
    nite_owl552500
    rv12500
    sara36dd082500
    scotty772500
    Sisqokid2500
    SoLack2500
    stejomi2500
    ThSpecial12500
  • edited May 2010

Well done to Fergie, Cotty & Dr Marbles, who advanced to the VLV Final via yesterday's 34 runner Semi.

I don't know Fergie, at least I don't think I do, but the other two are well-known.

Cotty played well in the last VLV Final IIRC, going for the win from the very start, chip-getting real well, but it was not to be. He's been around for donkeys years, & has been a thoughtful, intelligent & informed Poster on the major, mainstream, Poker Forums for as long as I remember. He knows the poker industry inside out, & will be a force to reckon with in the Final.

DrMarbles I would consider to be a good & long-standing personal friend. He has a frightening IQ of stratospheric proportions, (which he demonstrated to good effect on the TV Quiz "Eggheads"), used to work for an Online Cardroom, & has donated generously to a charity cause which I am associated with. He was the inaugural APAT World Amateur H.O.R.S.E. Champion last year, triumphing heads up against a guy who finished 13th in a WSOP Razz Bracelet Event. On the downside, he has the worst clothes-sense of anyone I know, Hoggers & Dylan excepted, of course. He's the older Bro of Uzi-Lover, well known here already, too.

Anyway, well done all of them, & good luck in the Final on May 30th. 

The May 30th Final will be the LAST Monthly VLV Final for Vegas 2010, so fingers crossed for all who sail in her.
  • edited May 2010

So, here's the Super-Six who have qualified for the 30th May Final so far......

cottlad5000
    DrMarbles5000
    FERGIE785000
    HAYSIE5000
    Jackpot885000
    VGOOCH5000
    You gotta be in it to win it!
  • edited May 2010

Whoops. I have had a series of PM's from Haysie, who is suing me for defamation of character. I'm really not sure how one could do that, he's as daft as a brush.
  • edited May 2010
    I still really think the sat structure needs drastically changing.  1 in 10 sats are fine if there's an abundance of players but sky doesn't have so many.  A lot of people play 1 or 2 sats and fail and don't have the roll nor inclination to keep trying which is why there are less and less players qualifying for the finals,

I really think that as well as the 1in10 sats there could be 1in5 or 1in6 running alongside.  So 1100 / 220 / 60 / 17.  It adds another stage to qualify but instead of 9-1 x 9-1 x 9-1 = 729-1 it's 4-1 x 4-1 x 4-1 x 4-1 = 256-1.  It also allows for more people to progress through more stages which would give them hope instead of always being against a 9-1 brick wall.

Just some thoughts.

PS..... someone needs to check my sums as the odds of making it to the final seem rather skewed????
  • edited May 2010
    I still really think the sat structure needs drastically changing.  1 in 10 sats are fine if there's an abundance of players but sky doesn't have so many.  A lot of people play 1 or 2 sats and fail and don't have the roll nor inclination to keep trying which is why there are less and less players qualifying for the finals, I really think that as well as the 1in10 sats there could be 1in5 or 1in6 running alongside.  So 1100 / 220 / 60 / 17.  It adds another stage to qualify but instead of 9-1 x 9-1 x 9-1 = 729-1 it's 4-1 x 4-1 x 4-1 x 4-1 = 256-1.  It also allows for more people to progress through more stages which would give them hope instead of always being against a 9-1 brick wall. Just some thoughts. PS..... someone needs to check my sums as the odds of making it to the final seem rather skewed????
    Posted by cottlad
    fwiw, the odds of qualifying through three rounds of one in ten are 999/1 and the odds of qualifying through 4 rounds of one in five are 624/1.
    I'm not sure what the "1100/ 200 / 60 / 17" represents.
  • edited May 2010

Fergie 78 is what I would call one of the old school Sky players as he was here playing MTT's when I started and I remember he was one of the tougher players back then.

A few of them went to hone their skills elsewhere, such as Fergie, Farryboy and a few more will come to me I'm sure. After all back then there were fewer good players here to have skirmishes with. Funnily enough one of the best tables I was on in an MTT to learn from included Meredonkey, Youngster and THESWISS.

Cottlad makes a great point about the the sat structure too, I've looked at the quarter final a few nights and played a couple of them but the cost v chance option is slim in my eyes with the lack of players and I am trying to stick within my bankroll.  I've also noticed alot of strange names playing, visitors I assume, which shows what a great package it is to win!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: The Official Viva Las Vegas Thread : fwiw, the odds of qualifying through three rounds of one in ten are 999/1 and the odds of qualifying through 4 rounds of one in five are 624/1. I'm not sure what the "1100/ 200 / 60 / 17" represents.
    Posted by MereNovice
    1 in 10 = 9-1 odds right?  i thought that meant 9x9x9??
    1 in 5 being 4-1 = 4x4x4x4?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: The Official Viva Las Vegas Thread : 1 in 10 = 9-1 odds right?  i thought that meant 9x9x9?? 1 in 5 being 4-1 = 4x4x4x4?
    Posted by cottlad

I've sent you a PM.
    I don't want to hijack another thread. :-)
  • edited May 2010

Good morning.

Today is the last chance for players to qualify for Viva Las Vegas 2010, so a quick recap is in order.

At 4pm today, the very last VLV Semi-Final takes place. It is a 1 in 10 affair, & as of now, 9am Sunday, (I imagine there will be a few direct buy-ins) there are 24 runners.

The 24 runners are.....

50_50call2500andrew19472500blueyepete2500cookie832500ctbn2500DiggerMan2500DJ19562500FREELANCER2500hazzer2500jay19912500kevcoke692500kidgirlgy2500kohan2500Lucia12500Machina2500pokerdarts2500rumpo_kid2500sandman2902500sara36dd082500sherriff072500SHY-BOY2500SUPERNOVA2500SUPERSNEDD2500swordsyboy2500
    Good luck to every one of of them!
  • edited May 2010

Then, at 8pm (EIGHT PM) this evening, the "Final Final, so to speak.

With the 2 or more qualifiers from this afternoon's Semi still to be added, there are 8 runners, so that number will increase to 10 or 12 I imagine.

The 8 so far in are.....

cottlad5000
    DrMarbles5000
    FERGIE785000
    HAYSIE5000
    iklejack5000
    Jackpot885000
    OOOOOOOOOO5000
    VGOOCH5000

I hope to be Online later this evening to Rail the Final - I first have to drive to Nottingham and back again - exactly as I did yesterday! - but for now, my best wishes to all of them.

I actually bumped into DrMarbles yesterday, at DTD in Nottingham, & I know he's well revved up for it. I'm seeing him again today, too, at a sort of Quiz affair, at lunchtime, in the Holiday Inn Nottingham, after which he plans to go & prepare for tonight's jobbie.

Haysie will be going for his 2nd package in a row, having been there in 2009, too.

Anyway, I know some of those guys, but to all of them - Attila & I will meet one of you at McCarron Airport, in Las Vegas, on July 2nd. ;)

• edited May 2010

Those with their return flight tickets to Las Vegas, their Suites at The Rio Hotel booked, & their entries to the WSOP Main Event confirmed, are......

Dan Brown - via Total Player, NOT VLV.

And the VLV guys are.....

Penguin 7

LUFC1982

JazzyJ

Direwolf

Wait a minute - Direwolf? How did HE get in?

See next post!
  • edited May 2010

In the VLV Final last month, there was a huge rail on the Final Table. It was a 19 runner affair, so ONE VLV Package worth £10,000, with a very sweet £9,000 in cash for the "unlucky" runner-up.

There was lots of chatterbox nattering about whether the eventual runner-up would be able to "sort" a package to Vegas out with Sky Poker by some means.

In fact, the runner-up & recipitent of £9,000 cash into his Account was Direwolf.

Direwolf later contacted Sky Poker to "see what the position was".

It went back & forth a bit, & then, but we could not contact him, as he was away from home, & we only had his home number.

The following Friday, I bumped into Direwolf at Glasgow SPT. He explained that he was interested in exploring the situation as to whether he could come to Vegas with us. So I introduced him to Rich Milner, & Rich outlined "the situation" to him, which Direwolf said he would consider.

"The situation" was this.

The VLV WINNERS get a package worth £10,000. What happens is that the £10,000 is retained by Sky Poker. Attila then books their return flights to Las Vegas for up to 2 people, their Suite at The Rio Hotel, & pays their entry into the $10,000 WSOP Main Event. The difference between the total cost of all that, & the £10,000 - in other words, the cash left over - is given to the player as their spending money.

Flight tickets & Hotel rates vary daily, as do currency rates, depending upon when Attila books them, but if a VLV Winner takes a guest, the total cost comes to just over £9,000, with the balance in cash being given to the player. If they do NOT take a guest, the cost drops to about (roughly) £8,500.

Direwolf's position was that Sky Poker could give him £9,000 worth of value - not a penny more, not a penny less - if he wanted to join us as part of the VLV Team.

The obvious answer was for him NOT to take a Guest, & that is what he elected to do, if indeed he decided to come with us.

He gave it 24 hours of thought, then contacted me to say he would like to accept that deal.

It gets quite complicated here, because he still had the £9,000 in his Account, but Sky Poker have absolutely no right to touch that money. So Attila had to formally write to him, & seek his written confirmation that he agreed to the money being taken out of his Account by Sky Poker, & his agreement to accept the VLV T & C's. Attila did that, Dire quickly confirmed, & that was that, happy days.

So Attila did all the booking & stuff, for ONE person, & it came to a shade under £9,000, with the small balance being given to Dire for spending money. Job done!

So Direwolf joins the Team Sky Poker Vegas raiding party, & I hope you'll ll join me in congratulating him. Those who met him at Glasgow SPT will confirm he's quite a character!

Good man him.