You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how should we spend OUR money?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: how should we spend OUR money?:
    In Response to  Re: how should we spend OUR money? : Im not sure this "prevention" method you speak of is gonna work - or it would have been implemented years ago surely? And even if it will work, it would get worse before it got better, as you said it wont happen over night, nor will it happen this year, or even this decade, i'd argue that it wouldn't change things until the next generation. You said when Im a pensioner, (if my liver lets me get that far) - things might be different. I think it will take longer than that. Im interested to know specific examples of things which could be done, to "prevent" education...education....education.... BUT NOT maths science OR LAW even LOL but social skills, personal and social development skills, Cognetive behaviour  skills and ,...well,...anything that will give young people of today and tomorrows, the beliefe in THEMSELF to enable them to feel strong enough, independent enough to go out into the world and make PRACTICAL decissions that will enable them to step out the box and live life in a good, practical way... OK OK JJ I KNOW it seems idealistic BUT look around such areas as small, quaint villages, do we see these y/p doing all the negative things we seem to say ALL Yp do?? NOPE< cos the parenting or money is put in to teach them other ideals than see what ya want and nick it etc........... I really don't believe the impact will be as strong as you are suggesting it could be. PROBABLY NOT, no where close infact BUT should we give up before we start??
    Maybe I'm being naive here.  If u just watch jeremy kyle - I DO EVEYTHING IN MY POWER NOT TO WATCH THIS TV SHOW !!! LOL 

for  week, you are guaranteed to see cases every day of people breaking the law.  Must have had hundreds of cases where people can go on to national tv and openly admit they are crack heads. How's this possible? Am I right in thinking its illegal to take crack? yes  your kinda right.... Its illegal to buy it, sell it, make it and smuggle it, but is it illegal to admit taking it...mope.... unless you have it in your pocession, its not an offence to admit taking it

Y dont the police from the minute this crack head leaves the studio - put him under 24 hour surveillance - that way it's impossible for him to get hold of crack, before he and his dealer, gets arrested right? RIGHT!!! YES!!! BUT Money and the system does nOT allow this to happen, and the "system" see it as "not in the public interest to "waiste" such amounts of money on small fish, when there are bigger things to be doing,...BUT YOU ARE soooo right though, as this would be seen as a method of prevention... BUT the police would argue that they are not babysitters or crack minders etc....

How can they go on tv, admit it, then not get caught afterwards? Am I being very dumb by stating the obvious? NOT dumb at all, just not seeing the bigger picture yet.... :0)

Hard to do with young girls who cant keep their legs closed until theyre 16 - thats illegal too right? - but they end up knocked up - bring their kid up in an unstable environment - the kid "makes the same mistake as mummy did" - and wallah - society has more nutters. Sometimes the young mummy and daddy do a good job - but thats rare IMO. I think anyone who gets pregnant under the age of 16 - should be forced by law to have a termination, or be locked up. (I personally thing it should be changed to 20 - sex is fine, pregnancy too young isn't_ - THATS PREVENTION FOR YA!) I also believe that at birth, every single kid in the world should have a test for paternity - this shud be the law too. YES I AGREE to a degree... good point that you make here!

Fags and Booze should be illegal to purchase until you are 21 - old enough to make an informed decision, rather than being influenced by "pier pressure" YES another form of prevention that is EASILY imposed but still not done!! due to these bl oo dy human rights issues of right of the right to buy/make your own choice to buy etc etc -

and becoming addicted for life to something that is bad for ya! Anyone caught should be severely punished - what this punishment wud be I dunno - probably locked up again lol.LOL or maybe some form of education tacticts???lol

Its like in football - stupid fouls such as shirt pulling in the penalty box. If referees start punishing the offenders properly, it's simple - they will stop doing it!!!! Its not rocket science! STRONGER PUNISHMENTS WILL LEAD TO LONG TERM PREVENTION IMO!!! (apologies to anyone offended by this post, my opinions are only that, and opinion, and obvioulsy there are exceptions! :) you make some great points here and serious issues that are mentioned can be easily fixed with a tough bit of action... it all falls under the umberella of prevention thogh and would and CAN improve the crime rates for the future..... how far into the future tho is one thing I have no idea about, these IMPORTANT things seem to take a lot longer than trivial things as popping more cash on petrol or council tax etc...... they do say money makes the world go round, but I THINK MONEY slows it down too ....lol

Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    THANK YOU for your post  I LOOK FORWARD to others replying to 

Kind regards

debbie
  • edited April 2010
    HA! YES IM STILL ONLINE! AND YES I AM CHECKING THIS THREAD ALL THE TIME TO SEE WHAT PEOPLE THINK!! I think as practical examples were used I started to understand more, I need things spelt out to me, then it gets the mind goin!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    well i tried to reply to your questions in such a way that it puts it into a practical situation...
    as for needing things spelt out for ya, well I too need that all the time, I only popped this on here to see just how many folk would put there point across or just add such comments as Lock em all up or hang em etc etc

It makes me CRINGE though when i see such carp as send em all to the Army... BUT tehn leav no decent argument for this....

My hubby has had the full on debate from me time and time again,  and after reading his post on here about "keeping the faith etc and poker being a trying game * named EX_POACHER) I decided to add some stuff of my own, I never added to the forum before, as you may of guesed, and I thought NO ONE would reply cos it aint poker related BUT I AM so glad to of read so many good comments...

So JJ, what would you answer now that you have seen some practical ideas?

the one of them builiding home and work etc
    or education at critical points...... I went to LA 2 years ago and done some research when there on their justice system, and they have an awesome diterant tactic for young offenders, or those at risk of it.... they brush human right s to one side and focus on the issue in hand they sed the yp in to jail for a week, and live with REAL HARDENNED ADULT convicts, an by cons i mean 12 years and above for murder, gang issues down to repeat offenders doing 15+ years for dui ( driving under influence) such steap sentences have been seen a sa great deterrent for these young folk and yep, the offending rates reduced MASSIVLEY...

Do you think if we did such stuff here in uk, that we wud have a better system set up for them? and for us?

Look forward to your reply

feel free to ask any thingthat may help you come to a decision ( when i done the LA trip i was invited to 2 jails to do research and do some questionaires etc, WAS A MASSIVE eye opener) have you heard of tent city? in a different state ran buy some dude who is extra strict when the inmates complain he says " if u dont like it then dont come back"  GOOD MOTTO  eh!?? lol

• edited April 2010
    "Church taught us help others, be thankful for what we had, to consider other people, to help old people and  neighbours, to be non violent, right from wrong, a sense of good community, non racism." The church taught you to be a normal human being did it?-- I wonder what you were before that happened?
    Posted by oynutter

????  dont get what your pointing at here???

can u reply with more detail to make your point a bit  clearer for us all please

thanks

debbe
  • edited April 2010
    Dohhhhhhh`s` post is a good one.

You could highlight many different things as the root causes.....most with valid reason.

You could blame Parents......("Why dont you put something on the end of it?" **further comments removed by author**)

You could blame the Justice System.......or the fact that the punishments are "soft".

Not saying this is right, but I remember watching a programme once about World Policing.....this was in Sth.America somewhere.....A couple of young lads had pulled off an armed robbery.....one was shot dead by Police and the other gave himself up.......The Cop then ordered the film crew to stop filming as he marched the lad off behind a nearby lorry. Goodnight.

Rehab Costs = 0
    Re-offending Rate = 0

You could blame the System.........or maybe the people who "play it".

Our Education system cannot be blamed (imho) after all there is an education structure in place for our kids from pre-school onwards.

• edited April 2010
    Dohhhhhhh`s` post is a good one. You could highlight many different things as the root causes.....most with valid reason. You could blame Parents......("Why dont you put something on the end of it?" **further comments removed by author**) You could blame the Justice System.......or the fact that the punishments are "soft". Not saying this is right, but I remember watching a programme once about World Policing.....this was in Sth.America somewhere.....A couple of young lads had pulled off an armed robbery.....one was shot dead by Police and the other gave himself up.......The Cop then ordered the film crew to stop filming as he marched the lad off behind a nearby lorry. Goodnight. Rehab Costs = 0 Re-offending Rate = 0 You could blame the System.........or maybe the people who "play it". Our Education system cannot be blamed (imho) after all there is an education structure in place for our kids from pre-school onwards. I propose that someone from the skypoker community should appear on.....
    Posted by emilyegg
    Thanks again for posting....

But when i mention the education etc I mean INFORMAL education and not the set policies of the governments curriculum i.e. maths science english etc...
    I mean such things as youth work projects that struggle every day to stay affloat due to lack of money, but the govt spends poop load amounts of cash on new statues shaped like a bottle outside a court house OR a water feature outside the Mayors office windo, costing over £1.6m THATS the education i mean that needs to be delivered but cant be due to lack of funds..

It annoys me so much to see so many kids need help and cant get it due to lack of funds available.

OH OH seems i ghave got onto my soap box here and forgot to feed my hubby....lol

good job he sat playing in a Torny, so he has NO clue what time of day it is let alone if he is hungry or not LOL

:)
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: how should we spend OUR money? : THANK YOU for your post  I LOOK FORWARD to others replying to  Kind regards debbie
    Posted by smiler271

Seems that My adding my answer into your post has NOT been as clear as i hoped it would be....

need i really mention that the colored section of the post os my answer to YOUR comments DOHHHHH??LOL
    erm..... is it clear what Ive done here or not??LOL
    OH NOOOOO I need to step away from my lap top I think before i get datad LOL
  • edited April 2010
    DOHHHHHHH says)In Response to  Re: how should we spend OUR money? : Im not sure this "prevention" method you speak of is gonna work - or it would have been implemented years ago surely? And even if it will work, it would get worse before it got better, as you said it wont happen over night, nor will it happen this year, or even this decade, i'd argue that it wouldn't change things until the next generation. You said when Im a pensioner, (if my liver lets me get that far) - things might be different. I think it will take longer than that. Im interested to know specific examples of things which could be done, to "prevent" 

Debbie says)education...education....education.... BUT NOT maths science OR LAW even LOL but social skills, personal and social development skills, Cognetive behaviour  skills and ,...well,...anything that will give young people of today and tomorrows, the beliefe in THEMSELF to enable them to feel strong enough, independent enough to go out into the world and make PRACTICAL decissions that will enable them to step out the box and live life in a good, practical way... OK OK JJ I KNOW it seems idealistic BUT look around such areas as small, quaint villages, do we see these y/p doing all the negative things we seem to say ALL Yp do?? NOPE< cos the parenting or money is put in to teach them other ideals than see what ya want and nick it etc........... 
    DOHHHHHHH says)I really don't believe the impact will be as strong as you are suggesting it could be. 
    Debbie says)PROBABLY NOT, no where close infact BUT should we give up before we start?? DOHHHHHHH Says)Maybe I'm being naive here.  If u just watch jeremy kyle -

debbie saysI DO EVEYTHING IN MY POWER NOT TO WATCH THIS TV SHOW !!! LOL 

DOHHHHHHH says) for  week, you are guaranteed to see cases every day of people breaking the law.  Must have had hundreds of cases where people can go on to national tv and openly admit they are crack heads. How's this possible? Am I right in thinking its illegal to take crack? 
    Debbie says)yes  your kinda right.... Its illegal to buy it, sell it, make it and smuggle it, but is it illegal to admit taking it...mope.... unless you have it in your pocession, its not an offence to admit taking it 

Y dont the police from the minute this crack head leaves the studio - put him under 24 hour surveillance - that way it's impossible for him to get hold of crack, before he and his dealer, gets arrested right? RIGHT!!! YES!!! BUT Money and the system does nOT allow this to happen, and the "system" see it as "not in the public interest to "waiste" such amounts of money on small fish, when there are bigger things to be doing,...BUT YOU ARE soooo right though, as this would be seen as a method of prevention... BUT the police would argue that they are not babysitters or crack minders etc....

DOHHHHHHH says)How can they go on tv, admit it, then not get caught afterwards? Am I being very dumb by stating the obvious? 
    Debbie says)NOT dumb at all, just not seeing the bigger picture yet.... :0)

Hard to do with young girls who cant keep their legs closed until theyre 16 - thats illegal too right? - but they end up knocked up - bring their kid up in an unstable environment - the kid "makes the same mistake as mummy did" - and wallah - society has more nutters. Sometimes the young mummy and daddy do a good job - but thats rare IMO. I think anyone who gets pregnant under the age of 16 - should be forced by law to have a termination, or be locked up. (I personally thing it should be changed to 20 - sex is fine, pregnancy too young isn't_ - THATS PREVENTION FOR YA!) I also believe that at birth, every single kid in the world should have a test for paternity - this shud be the law too. 
    Debbie)YES I AGREE to a degree... good point that you make here!

DOHHHH)Fags and Booze should be illegal to purchase until you are 21 - old enough to make an informed decision, rather than being influenced by "pier pressure" 
    Debbie)YES another form of prevention that is EASILY imposed but still not done!! due to these bl oo dy human rights issues of right of the right to buy/make your own choice to buy etc etc -

Dohhhh says)and becoming addicted for life to something that is bad for ya! Anyone caught should be severely punished - what this punishment wud be I dunno - probably locked up again lol.
    DEBBIE says)LOL or maybe some form of education tacticts???lol

DOOHHHHH states)Its like in football - stupid fouls such as shirt pulling in the penalty box. If referees start punishing the offenders properly, it's simple - they will stop doing it!!!! Its not rocket science! STRONGER PUNISHMENTS WILL LEAD TO LONG TERM PREVENTION IMO!!! (apologies to anyone offended by this post, my opinions are only that, and opinion, and obvioulsy there are exceptions! :) 
    Debbie states:--you make some great points here and serious issues that are mentioned can be easily fixed with a tough bit of action... it all falls under the umberella of prevention thogh and would and CAN improve the crime rates for the future..... how far into the future tho is one thing I have no idea about, these IMPORTANT things seem to take a lot longer than trivial things as popping more cash on petrol or council tax etc...... they do say money makes the world go round, but I THINK MONEY slows it down too ....lol

WHY I redone this as a convo I have no idea, but even i was getting confused by the way it had be typed by me LOL

Anyway Thanks for the post jj, it has some VERY good points, HOPE my answers have helped ya make your mind start working again LOL :0)
  • edited April 2010
    ok this one is soooooo long ;) ive had to write it on word

might need to do it over 2 posts

got lost abit in the middle, but i hope u get what im getting at
  • edited April 2010

I said in my first post, that the changes would maybe take a generation to work. Ive changed my mind, we’re looking at 5/6/7/8/+ generations.  The ridiculous “shoot em” example – wouldnt work, unless you shot them all. Get a gun,  and go round and shoot everyone who has a criminal record. Hi/tler style! U dont need blonde hair and blue eyes, u just need to have been a good boy/girl! That way, you can rebuild the whole world, from scratch, having learnt from all the mistakes the previous world made.

The influence of criminals, is what keeps the crime circle rotating. So if you bluntly stopped the circle rotating by killing all the bad people this is obv gonna stop it. Obviously it isnt an option, so you need to find a balance of dealing with the existing problem (the guys on my street who smoke crack) – whilst ensuring that the next generation dont get onto this “crime circle” – Theres also the people in the middle, who are becoming adults, but arent yet criminalt, but are heading that way!

So 3 catagories, the adults, 16-24 who are dealing drugs, stabbing people,etc.

The 8-16 – Who are learning from, and copying others, who are inevitably on their way down the same path (at least a small %age of them)

And the 8 year olds through to the next generation, who are about to be introduced to the real world.

On a much lower scale imagine 100 criminals (however serious or minor the crime is, doesnt really matter for this example) – So 100 18 year old criminals living in 1 town – and programmes/infastructures were put in place to convert  these people into decent upstanding members of the community, with a life, and a future ahead of them. What %age of them will be willing to take up this opportunity? -  Say you get 50% (a very optimistic figure) – to work under supevision,  as you suggested, to quite literally build a life for themselves. Whilst this 50%, 50 people,  are spending months/years converting themselves and changing their lives for the better, - the other 50% who have refused the opportunity, as theyre happy taking drugs, acting drunk&D, fighting, stealing, etc etc – will be influencing other children/younger adults to join them, commit crime, smoke, drink etc.

Its just the way things work in schools. – I had mates I rew up with, some naturally bright, others struggled at school, but people from both ‘catagories’ went off the rails at the age of 13/14/15, when they got in with the “wrong, older” crowd.  1 day I went bowling with a mate, I didnt see him for a week – the next I saw, he was drunk, and smoking. Its that easy to influence people.

So you help 50% of the current criminals, and they become priests. Whilst these have changed, the 50% that have opted out, will have influenced at least another 50 younger adults to take up the lifestyle of ex criminals, now priests.

So you have exactly the same problem. As the world is always getting bigger, the problem is gonna continue to get bigger, until you can get on top of the problem, SMOTHER IT, then slowly but surely reverse, and reverse, until eventually it has been eradicated altogether. (By which time the sun will have burnt out, the fossil fuels run out, and chances are Jeus will turn up!!)

So you say change education strategies, to incorperate proper life skills. So say there are 50 unco-operative criminals who opt out of the opportunity theyve been given. Who wins the battle between the new curriculam, and the bad outside influences? If the life skills wins and keeps 50% of the people, who otherwise would turn to crime, on the straight and narrow.......(again, an optimistic figure)

That means it has failed with 50% ! – Who will turn to crime, and the process will go on, and on and on, until finally, we’re in a squeeky clean society.

Also, the standard of education is a MASSIVE issue! It isn’t good enough. I had a life skills section at school, once a week,  which was taken by a DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY TEACHER! – no doubt she got a massive bonus, but what did I get? – A lesson to play hang man with mi mates (sad i no) lol

I had a sex education class – taken by.....YES MY PE TEACHER! – Again, he got a big bonus,  and although more beneficial than the ridiculous life skills lesson, another chance to relax for an hour.

Thee needs to be hundreds of thousands of people, trained properly to make all this successful – the standard just isnt good enough – I dont think it will ever be successful.

The future will never get better until we deal with the present, but the present, is ever evolving, as people are always getting older, and learning from their elders. So the Future is always gonna be the present!  There is no light at the end of the tunnerl, there is no “change for the better” the task has become too large.

So maybe, if we want a better world, shooting everything that is bad, is the only possibly way and start over!!! – Obviously this isnt gonna happen, so we can “live with, and manage with” what we have. Unfortunately for alot of people thats the reality of every day life.

Things have gone so far, the wrong way, that they are never ever going to change, coz in my opinion, there isnt enough time in the world ! - (unless you take drastic action, which was my initial suggestion, altho not as drastic as kill em. lol)

• edited April 2010
    I said in my first post, that the changes would maybe take a generation to work. Ive changed my mind, we’re looking at 5/6/7/8/+ generations.   The ridiculous “shoot em” example – wouldnt work, unless you shot them all. Get a gun,   and go round and shoot everyone who has a criminal record. Hi/tler style! U dont need blonde hair and blue eyes, u just need to have been a good boy/girl! That way, you can rebuild the whole world, from scratch, having learnt from all the mistakes the previous world made. The influence of criminals, is what keeps the crime circle rotating. So if you bluntly stopped the circle rotating by killing all the bad people this is obv gonna stop it. Obviously it isnt an option, so you need to find a balance of dealing with the existing problem (the guys on my street who smoke crack) – whilst ensuring that the next generation dont get onto this “crime circle” – Theres also the people in the middle, who are becoming adults, but arent yet criminalt, but are heading that way!   So 3 catagories, the adults, 16-24 who are dealing drugs, stabbing people,etc. The 8-16 – Who are learning from, and copying others, who are inevitably on their way down the same path (at least a small %age of them) And the 8 year olds through to the next generation, who are about to be introduced to the real world.   On a much lower scale imagine 100 criminals (however serious or minor the crime is, doesnt really matter for this example) – So 100 18 year old criminals living in 1 town – and programmes/infastructures were put in place to convert   these people into decent upstanding members of the community, with a life, and a future ahead of them. What %age of them will be willing to take up this opportunity? -   Say you get 50% (a very optimistic figure) – to work under supevision,   as you suggested, to quite literally build a life for themselves. Whilst this 50%, 50 people,   are spending months/years converting themselves and changing their lives for the better, - the other 50% who have refused the opportunity, as theyre happy taking drugs, acting drunk&D, fighting, stealing, etc etc – will be influencing other children/younger adults to join them, commit crime, smoke, drink etc. Its just the way things work in schools. – I had mates I rew up with, some naturally bright, others struggled at school, but people from both ‘catagories’ went off the rails at the age of 13/14/15, when they got in with the “wrong, older” crowd.   1 day I went bowling with a mate, I didnt see him for a week – the next I saw, he was drunk, and smoking. Its that easy to influence people.   So you help 50% of the current criminals, and they become priests. Whilst these have changed, the 50% that have opted out, will have influenced at least another 50 younger adults to take up the lifestyle of ex criminals, now priests. So you have exactly the same problem. As the world is always getting bigger, the problem is gonna continue to get bigger, until you can get on top of the problem, SMOTHER IT, then slowly but surely reverse, and reverse, until eventually it has been eradicated altogether. (By which time the sun will have burnt out, the fossil fuels run out, and chances are Jeus will turn up!!)   So you say change education strategies, to incorperate proper life skills. So say there are 50 unco-operative criminals who opt out of the opportunity theyve been given. Who wins the battle between the new curriculam, and the bad outside influences? If the life skills wins and keeps 50% of the people, who otherwise would turn to crime, on the straight and narrow.......(again, an optimistic figure)   That means it has failed with 50% ! – Who will turn to crime, and the process will go on, and on and on, until finally, we’re in a squeeky clean society.   Also, the standard of education is a MASSIVE issue! It isn’t good enough. I had a life skills section at school, once a week,   which was taken by a DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY TEACHER! – no doubt she got a massive bonus, but what did I get? – A lesson to play hang man with mi mates (sad i no) lol   I had a sex education class – taken by.....YES MY PE TEACHER! – Again, he got a big bonus,   and although more beneficial than the ridiculous life skills lesson, another chance to relax for an hour.   Thee needs to be hundreds of thousands of people, trained properly to make all this successful – the standard just isnt good enough – I dont think it will ever be successful. The future will never get better until we deal with the present, but the present, is ever evolving, as people are always getting older, and learning from their elders. So the Future is always gonna be the present!   There is no light at the end of the tunnerl, there is no “change for the better” the task has become too large. So maybe, if we want a better world, shooting everything that is bad, is the only possibly way and start over!!! – Obviously this isnt gonna happen, so we can “live with, and manage with” what we have. Unfortunately for alot of people thats the reality of every day life. Things have gone so far, the wrong way, that they are never ever going to change, coz in my opinion, there isnt enough time in the world ! - (unless you take drastic action, which was my initial suggestion, altho not as drastic as kill em. lol)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

wow such a cynical opinion JJ

wat if the 50% who dont conform to the 1st programme have other oppertunities? or do we give up on them at the 1st hurdle?

LOL

seems bad of me to give such a short answer to your essay for me.... BUT basicly  do you thibk we give up at the forst hurdle, or do we keep lookin for better ways to educate, improve and deter from crime and such activities?

Youth work is a hard topic as many folk see us as long haired hippies etc etc , ( boooorrriiinnggg afte r hearing that over 1000 times LOL) BUT we aint all hippies, we are passionate about giving young people hope!!!! WITH NO HOPE what have they got?? so they may not fir in to 1st regime, so we find another.... ANYHING is better than locking them away, in jails for years , where they will ONLY learn how to be a careeer criminal, and no more than that.
    IS JAIL REALLY the ANSWER? 

thank you  for your essay,... i may need to seek your permission to use some of it in my dissertation though LOL

debbie

• edited April 2010
    ok this one is soooooo long ;) ive had to write it on word might need to do it over 2 posts got lost abit in the middle, but i hope u get what im getting at
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

apologies, I didnt mean to seem harsh and call u cinical, i just meant wow you gave up on em so easy and dont seem to think change can be made afterall?

LOL Maybe i shud quit my degree as I may not be able to get a job in youth work after al especially if the state go along the route of lock em up  etc LOL

;)
  • edited April 2010
    I still think the bullets would work......Dohhhhhhh talks a lot of sense. ANYONE can be educated.....But if they choose the other career options then what JJ is saying is right.
  • edited April 2010
    I still think the bullets would work......Dohhhhhhh talks a lot of sense. ANYONE can be educated.....But if they choose the other career options then what JJ is saying is right.
    Posted by emilyegg

oh noooooo NOT the bullet!!! Thats harsh for the type of yung people im speaking of, well for any human thats harsh I think

I know what you said in your earlier post about rapists and child molestors etc, well thats a whole new ball game, and coz i know very little about the chemistry in their brains I am making a consious efort to stear clear of that topic...

but yep, your right JJ does speak a LOT of sense in his post :)

• edited April 2010

I dont mind, no need to apologise, you cant have a debate without difference of opinion and straight talk, u might think its cinical, I just think its relistic.

What r ya gonna do? what more can u do for them? Are you gonna take it so far, and ake things so easy for them, where you get to the point, where kids are encouraged, ENCOURAGED to turn to crime, as they know they will be spoon fed. Surely it defeats the whole point?

EG, one of my mates, who I referred to earlier, was an outstanding footballer at the age of 13/14, until he started taking drugs and drinking. Obviously he started slacking at school and lost sight of what was important, including football, drugs just completely took over......(due to others)

.......When it came to trident, when we were 16, we had to apply as normaly, to find a placement, for a fortnight. I was interested in sports, and writing, so got a job at the local paper.

He....didn't apply anywhere, the school arranged for him to work for 2 weeks at Donaster Rovers football club........

Imagine how chuffed he was at that. Yes he was a gifted footballer still, but every other day he was truenting, been expelled loads of times, was a little sh/1t in class - and rewarded by being given his dream placement?

Take this to after education finishes - they turn down 1 opportunity, if they dnt like the next, they turn it down, until they get exactly what they want, and have had to do nothing, to get it !!!!

And the guys who planned to go 6th form, do 4 a levels, then a 4 year degree course? - Wouldnt it be easier for them to be a bad boy, and get what they want by doing very little?

Its a very fine margin, like alot of things in poker, finding a balance, is important, and if you tilt either way, it could be destructive and have huge negative implications!

(I did PE and Youth sport btw - which is alot about education, and curriculum, - specifically in PE, but still has to cater for kids with all abilities/special needs)

JJ
  • edited April 2010

tbh I know people who work for both the Probation and Prison services. They are all in agreement that they need a good ******* hiding.

• edited April 2010
    I dont mind, no need to apologise, you cant have a debate without difference of opinion and straight talk, u might think its cinical, I just think its relistic. What r ya gonna do? what more can u do for them? Are you gonna take it so far, and ake things so easy for them, where you get to the point, where kids are encouraged, ENCOURAGED to turn to crime, as they know they will be spoon fed. Surely it defeats the whole point? EG, one of my mates, who I referred to earlier, was an outstanding footballer at the age of 13/14, until he started taking drugs and drinking. Obviously he started slacking at school and lost sight of what was important, including football, drugs just completely took over......(due to others) .......When it came to trident, when we were 16, we had to apply as normaly, to find a placement, for a fortnight. I was interested in sports, and writing, so got a job at the local paper. He....didn't apply anywhere, the school arranged for him to work for 2 weeks at Donaster Rovers football club........ Imagine how chuffed he was at that. Yes he was a gifted footballer still, but every other day he was truenting, been expelled loads of times, was a little sh/1t in class - and rewarded by being given his dream placement? Take this to after education finishes - they turn down 1 opportunity, if they dnt like the next, they turn it down, until they get exactly what they want, and have had to do nothing, to get it !!!! And the guys who planned to go 6th form, do 4 a levels, then a 4 year degree course? - Wouldnt it be easier for them to be a bad boy, and get what they want by doing very little? Its a very fine margin, like alot of things in poker, finding a balance, is important, and if you tilt either way, it could be destructive and have huge negative implications! (I did PE and Youth sport btw - which is alot about education, and curriculum, - specifically in PE, but still has to cater for kids with all abilities/special needs) JJ
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Now you will hear my other views, My views that i see each day at work......
    I work with NEETS kids, Not In education  Employment or training....and yes they DO get a lot handed to them on a plate, days away doing outdoor activities, abseil, rockclimbing etc etc, and this seems to be a treat by the good kids at their schools, so then we have the good kids tryong to kick of just to be included in our programme, This is wrong, as the good kids ( sorry for the labl, bt i feel its needed in this situation of debate) The good kids seem to be led of rails just to try get out of school and engage with out door activities, BUT then they arrive at the project where I work, and I guarantee that after the 2nd day they wanna be back at school and they wanna do what there told ...as we work em hard ( NOT xactly boot camp style but close) and this not only takes the young people out of ther comfort zone and gets them to engage in new stuff, but it creates a sense of trust in someone, ( usualy the youth workerswith them, ) this may be the 1st adult or person in position of authority that they have ever shown respect or trust to, THIS IS A BIG BREAK through,...
    we then move on to one to one days and these are also HARD, they need to look deep insde and look hard at theoir life, OK I not saying that ALL yp will change, or wanna change BUT I have seen that 80% of yp that we have through our door, (and we have about 400 each year) do wanna change and can and do actually make good changes when they see what else is available for them, 
    We take such issues as homeless 17 yr olds, give em skills to be independent and teach em how to have self respect etc aswell as a sense of pride in what they are doing, this alone can and has changed so many young folk that are usualy on their way down the long and twisted dark road of crime.

So we loos a few through the net BUT we help so many more tha we loose, and them that we loose KNOW of us and will/do come back when they are ready!...this is a great thing too.

BUT the money needed to run such projects is hard to find, I worked for a charity and gave them ft hours as well as going to uni ft too, but we had to cap of the amount of young people we helped due to money, then we find out that x,amount of cash is going into building new wings on adult jails to house young folk....when they cud be sending money into youth projects and enable such folk as this to make the offer of change, and continue to  give yp the tools to make MASSIVE changes in their life.
    NOT spoon feed, but show them that their life has more to offer than what they know at present, Maybe thats ALL they know?

and maybe some wont wana change, well we cant help everyone, despite wanting to!

:0)

• edited April 2010
    tbh I know people who work for both the Probation and Prison services. They are all in agreement that they need a good ******* hiding.
    Posted by emilyegg

ooops, well MAYBE they need to change their career! :0)

Some teachers shouldn't be teachers and some probation officers and prison officers should NOT be in the job if they have that type of opinion on young people....

BUT thats JUST my opinion for what its worth

• edited April 2010
    Posted by emilyegg

quote from DOHHHHHH"  Its a very fine margin, like alot of things in poker, finding a balance, is important, and if you tilt either way, it could be destructive and have huge negative implications!"

PERFECT answer to this post me thinks.....     :0)
  • edited April 2010
    nighty night folks.....
    time i went to do some study OOOOPS I never got ANY done today, well not in the way that I am expected to do anyway....lol

I got a LOT of info from here though SO THANK YOU ALL for your posts.. I will pop back tomorrow to take another look and see whats been added.....

I will be intrigued ALL evening to see what your mighty brains allow you to type on here for me to see....

Night all

Debbie  :0)
  • edited April 2010
    "Church taught us help others, be thankful for what we had, to consider other people, to help old people and  neighbours, to be non violent, right from wrong, a sense of good community, non racism." The church taught you to be a normal human being did it?-- I wonder what you were before that happened?
    Posted by oynutter
    That is precisely what i am talking about. Kids know what they are taught, but they don't listen to adults anymore they listen to music, telly and their mates. If you let kids do what ever they want then that is exactly what they will do. But to say that why should kids have any respect for adults who have brought them up in a ghetto is rubbish. It is the kids and nothing but the kids who make ghettos i am afraid you are wrong. It is not adults and pensioners that make ghettos and you know it. It is blaming adults for all the kids evils that removes them from all responsibility. It is always someone elses fault the poor little hard done by kiddies lolololol. I gave my opinion to the person who started this thread and had a lot more to say but did not want to bore everybody to death. If you blame adults for the murderous heartless kids that plague our society then thats fine you post that but dont bash me in the process thanks.
  • edited April 2010
    Smiler!!!! You do a great job, and are obviously an amazingly caring person, to give so much, to what is in my opinion, a losing battle.....

But your last post, identifies the problem for me. People are referred to you for misbehaving/or if their normal education isnt going well..........

Why is this referral necessary? - Is it because the normal education system, I.E Your everyday secondary school - IS NOT PROVIDING AN APPROPRIATE LEVEL OF EDUCATION FOR YOUNG-ENS?

What do you guys do that schools dont? An I dont mean activity wise - just discipline wise? - Then surely theres ya answer?

• edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: how should we spend OUR money? : That is precisely what i am talking about. Kids know what they are taught, but they don't listen to adults anymore they listen to music, telly and their mates. If you let kids do what ever they want then that is exactly what they will do. But to say that why should kids have any respect for adults who have brought them up in a ghetto is rubbish. It is the kids and nothing but the kids who make ghettos i am afraid you are wrong. It is not adults and pensioners that make ghettos and you know it. It is blaming adults for all the kids evils that removes them from all responsibility. It is always someone elses fault the poor little hard done by kiddies lolololol. I gave my opinion to the person who started this thread and had a lot more to say but did not want to bore everybody to death. If you blame adults for the murderous heartless kids that plague our society then thats fine you post that but dont bash me in the process thanks.
    Posted by AIRWALKER
    I see your point Airwalker, BUT i dont think adults are to blame for ALL kids errors of judgement, I am merely adding as many scenarios as possible to get you guys to give me YOUR feedback and opinions....PLEASE feel free to add what it was you stopped yourself from adding in fear of boring us ( I assure you I wont be bored, Im VERY Interested in readin ALL comments and thoughts)
    sorry you feel you were bashed by another poster... thats not the intention for this thread....

Have a good evening

Im defo logging of now, need to study LOL

• edited April 2010
    Smiler!!!! You do a great job, and are obviously an amazingly caring person, to give so much, to what is in my opinion, a losing battle..... But your last post, identifies the problem for me. People are referred to you for misbehaving/or if their normal education isnt going well.......... Why is this referral necessary? - Is it because the normal education system, I.E Your everyday secondary school - IS NOT PROVIDING AN APPROPRIATE LEVEL OF EDUCATION FOR YOUNG-ENS? What do you guys do that schools dont? An I dont mean activity wise - just discipline wise? - Then surely theres ya answer?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

what we do that schools dont is work on the CHOICE theory  THIS EABLES THE YOUNG people to take resposibilt for THEIR actions and take ownership for their trpublesome behaviour NOT blaming everyone and their aunt, but looking in the mirror and seeing that its THEIR fault they are acting a set way, so ONLY they can change that.... give a y/p ownership of anything and then they start to have pride in it. It has worked for the agency I speak of for over 40 years, BUT NOT ALL are referals, some are self refferals, over 16yrs are self refered and same routine, same choice theory

I need to go do some work on uni stuff, but will add more on this tomorrow

THANKS for the comment on my job etc, Its not something a person gets into to make a lot of £££ its something to do when you know change IS POSIBLE :0)

will add more tomorrow THANKS for ALL your posts.... wow you came a LONG way from the start of this thread,....LOL cheers

• edited April 2010
    All Rise..............

Adjourned until everyone is up and about on Monday

• edited April 2010
    I think anyone who gets pregnant under the age of 16 - should be forced by law to have a termination, or be locked up. (I personally thing it should be changed to 20 - sex is fine, pregnancy too young isn't_ - THATS PREVENTION FOR YA!)

I also believe that at birth, every single kid in the world should have a test for paternity - this shud be the law too.

Fags and Booze should be illegal to purchase until you are 21 - old enough to make an informed decision, rather than being influenced by "pier pressure" - and becoming addicted for life to something that is bad for ya!

Anyone caught should be severely punished - what this punishment wud be I dunno - probably locked up again lol.

Its like in football - stupid fouls such as shirt pulling in the penalty box. If referees start punishing the offenders properly, it's simple - they will stop doing it!!!! Its not rocket science!

STRONGER PUNISHMENTS WILL LEAD TO LONG TERM PREVENTION IMO!!!

(apologies to anyone offended by this post, my opinions are only that, and opinion, and obvioulsy there are exceptions! :)

Nice one dohhhhhhh, i agree with a lot that you say., I have four sons two adopted and two not and was quite a wild teenager myself after a family breakdown so i do have an opinion and have noted a lot of changes in society and child behaviour that all started when it became frowned upon if not illegal for parents, teachers and the police to grab a toerag by the scruff of his neck and belt him one its as simple as that.

Americanisms sneaking in to kids tv and music and language...... Wicked, evil, naughty, bad, out of order, fierce, nasty, dirty great, monster, deadly ect  these are words that kids use to describe anything that is good. Is this right? IMO No it is not. The cowardly gangs and bullies are the heroes and the kids who learn are beat up and called geeks.
     I have lived in brand new housing association houses that are beautiful and surrounded with nice roads and landscaping and the teenage kids have turned it into a dump and a no go area within days. They also sell brand new detached houses next to them which are bought by people who work and have kids. The idea is to let the kids mix and integrate. What a waste of money and heartache that is. They all go up for sale or rent in no time and the owners are instantly in negative equity because of the scores of 'anti social' little sweethearts that make DECENT kids and adults lives a misery.

The teenagers that arn't taught to behave should be FORCED to behave.

Kids of the 'decent' variety are also becoming obese. Fast food is not to blame. It is the fact that they dare not go out to play and burn their calories off that is to blame. When do you see an obese thug or hoodie? almost never. Its mainly good kids that are fat kids. Trains, buses, cinemas, streets, parks, shops, everywhere is full of out of control and unpunished kids. They act like they own the place and can do, act and speak how they please and they are right because that is the reality. I would gladly chuck all these bullies in jail until they were completely reformed. And yes poster, if they built the jails that would serve a valuable purpose as part of it.
  • edited April 2010
    I think anyone who gets pregnant under the age of 16 - should be forced by law to have a termination, or be locked up. (I personally thing it should be changed to 20 - sex is fine, pregnancy too young isn't_ - THATS PREVENTION FOR YA!) I also believe that at birth, every single kid in the world should have a test for paternity - this shud be the law too. Fags and Booze should be illegal to purchase until you are 21 - old enough to make an informed decision, rather than being influenced by "pier pressure" - and becoming addicted for life to something that is bad for ya! Anyone caught should be severely punished - what this punishment wud be I dunno - probably locked up again lol. Its like in football - stupid fouls such as shirt pulling in the penalty box. If referees start punishing the offenders properly, it's simple - they will stop doing it!!!! Its not rocket science! STRONGER PUNISHMENTS WILL LEAD TO LONG TERM PREVENTION IMO!!! (apologies to anyone offended by this post, my opinions are only that, and opinion, and obvioulsy there are exceptions! :) Nice one dohhhhhhh, i agree with a lot that you say., I have four sons two adopted and two not and was quite a wild teenager myself after a family breakdown so i do have an opinion and have noted a lot of changes in society and child behaviour that all started when it became frowned upon if not illegal for parents, teachers and the police to grab a toerag by the scruff of his neck and belt him one its as simple as that. Americanisms sneaking in to kids tv and music and language...... Wicked, evil, naughty, bad, out of order, fierce, nasty, dirty great, monster, deadly ect  these are words that kids use to describe anything that is good. Is this right? IMO No it is not. The cowardly gangs and bullies are the heroes and the kids who learn are beat up and called geeks.  I have lived in brand new housing association houses that are beautiful and surrounded with nice roads and landscaping and the teenage kids have turned it into a dump and a no go area within days. They also sell brand new detached houses next to them which are bought by people who work and have kids. The idea is to let the kids mix and integrate. What a waste of money and heartache that is. They all go up for sale or rent in no time and the owners are instantly in negative equity because of the scores of 'anti social' little sweethearts that make DECENT kids and adults lives a misery. The teenagers that arn't taught to behave should be FORCED to behave. Kids of the 'decent' variety are also becoming obese. Fast food is not to blame. It is the fact that they dare not go out to play and burn their calories off that is to blame. When do you see an obese thug or hoodie? almost never. Its mainly good kids that are fat kids. Trains, buses, cinemas, streets, parks, shops, everywhere is full of out of control and unpunished kids. They act like they own the place and can do, act and speak how they please and they are right because that is the reality. I would gladly chuck all these bullies in jail until they were completely reformed. And yes poster, if they built the jails that would serve a valuable purpose as part of it.
    Posted by AIRWALKER

Firstly, please dont call me poster..... im no pin up or am i an advert for a film etc......name is debbie,   smiller debbie 271 ( LOL Sorry, just my way of lightening the mood this wet, cold, and miserable bank holiday monday morning... DID It work?? well?? did it ?? did it really??..... Nah :0( i didnt think so.... hehehhehehehe)

OKIE dokie then, lets take a look at what you say.... and SO MANY good points you have added..... Its my duty as a human who is passionate about this cause to give a answer to gather more folk into this debate....s o dont take offence to it PLEASE,... we are ALL entitled to OUR opinions remember... 
    :-S
    Ok you have covered so many points about anti social behaviour in your post, but you seem to think ALL young people are the same..... can this REALLY be the case?
    Look at DOHHHHHHH's post, he states the point of 50% good and 50% not so good... so we have to be true to stats here and admit that NOT ALL kids/teens and young adults are "bad" excuse the labeling again here but it is needed for this type of debate.

1} you say it ALL changed when it became illegal to belt your child.... well it may be illegal to do this but I ASSURE you there are MANY young people out there that DO get belted and worse by parents and its the minority of do gooders that shine the spot light on the few kids who are seen as " good kids" that turn up at school with a frown on their face and state irs due to " my Dad/mam/uncle/aunt etc battered me, when REALLY all she did was slap his/her face for telling her to F**** of or even worse"
    THE BAD kids can turn up with bruises on them and are seen to be " just one of those things" when really there is MORE going on behind that closed door than we ever care to look into... so I have to disagree that the fact that beating a child being illegal has caused ALL the issues, or that its the route case of them. I THINK however that the fact the young person KNOWS its illegal is used as a threatening tool with their parent/guardian to get their way with so many things. and used to threaten the elder into submission for things, and as stated in this post its the clever kids,( geeks OR nerds may not be my choice of word) that seem to be able to use such a threatening tool to gain something that they want and want NOW. The not so good kids just argue, storm out and go get what they want by what ever means are needed, some may say this is a form of survival?!?!? is it!?!?!? MAyBE!!
    Also statistically you will find that the kids you speak of that are from Good working backgrounds,( 2 parents or 1 is irrelevant in this topic I THINK anyway) that do not go out to burn calories are the ones who choose to stay indoors as they have a warm, cozy and loving hime with a bedroom filled with a mixture of entertainment gadgets, be it a lap top for msn/games or anyother chat programme, x-box or wi's, these young folk would rather ( and maybe they have a good idea on this one, i know where id rather be on a dark, cold night or wet saturday afternoon) be in their rooms online or on a console, where as the yp from more deprived b/g have nothing to do and no where to go, so they may feel a bit hard done by, and they may rebel at the society, they may even get into trouble, but WHAT else can they do?? My job as a youth worker is to make sure these y/p have stuff to do, somewhere to go, a safe envirowmnt that they do not feel excluded and are not mae to feel as if they are ALL the same as the minority of y/p who are deviant and want no more than to go of the  rails and think its big and clever to get locked up etc etc...
    Then you mention that EVERYwhere is full of unully kids.... IS IT??? REALLY?? everywhere??

Maybe a small portion of housing estates have bad parts, but some ALSO HAVE the kids from good bg's hanging about and also good kids get into trouble with drink, drugs and thefts etc...
    Look online for Brat camp clips, (can be found on You tube)
    The youngsters on this are AL from wealthy homes, and all have parents who see a problem teen and throw money at them instead of working at things they tend to spend and hope they will go out of the home and run a muck else where..( IMO ONLY remember)
    Do we ever see such programmes as BRAT CAMP that has many young coke adicts, alcoholics at the age of 15 and also those yp that are totaly unrully at home and at BOARDING schools, do we ever see them show yp from a working class or unemployed family bg, who live on a council estate or that are in REAL need of guidance?? NOPE... coz society has ALREADY solved the reason they are like this.... its coz of them coming from where ever they come from, coz their parents are who ever theor parents are etc etc.... they are already LABELLE AS FAILURES before their life has begun.. IS THAT REALLY FAIR?
    Can we as a nation expect yp to strive and suceed to become good, honest hard working adults if we as THE GROWN UPS have already  marked them ALL as failures?

is it a class issue or parent issue that makes our young people today turn into criminals? NOPE, imo ONLY I think it is a choice issue, and if they know no better they will make the choices that are being made today, yesterday and all the tomorrows to come.
    GIVE EM A CHOICE, give em ownership of their issue and empower them to take control of their life and I KNOW we will see a better future for them all, despite their background, upbringing etc etc.

I could go on and on and PROVE that BG is NOT the reason, or that it is wrong to say that CHANGE CAN NOT happen, But i need a coffee,...maybe I will add more to this afterwards I have to prove an argument afterall, or its NOT a true debate... LOL

THANK YOU for adding to this again

Its much appreciated

Debbie :0)

• edited April 2010
    Smiler!!!! You do a great job, and are obviously an amazingly caring person, to give so much, to what is in my opinion, a losing battle..... But your last post, identifies the problem for me. People are referred to you for misbehaving/or if their normal education isnt going well.......... Why is this referral necessary? - Is it because the normal education system, I.E Your everyday secondary school - IS NOT PROVIDING AN APPROPRIATE LEVEL OF EDUCATION FOR YOUNG-ENS? What do you guys do that schools dont? An I dont mean activity wise - just discipline wise? - Then surely theres ya answer?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

just a quick point, after starting this thread, i see that so many folk have made young folk to look like they are ALL in trouble 24/7 or ALL swilling booze and smoking fags/crack or worse still answering back at adults...oh noooo how dare they speak when not spoken to LOL so i decided to pop back and pop a pic on of proof that the animal kingdom has an ASBO nation too, all young ones are swigging buckfast and wearing hooies, some even have scars on their face,head and body when still very young,... OMG what can we do to save these species? shoot em in the back of head? ( why not the fron oi wonder? maybe coz to gaze in the eyes of that youngster would show you that they do have a good side and tehy do wanna change if only they knew how? ) or do we dig a hole as big as an ocean and fling em all in there, cover it up and start to live our happy, smiley pimms drinking life, where we all agree on one thing, young people are the route cause of todays problems, ALL of em... unemplyment, ( down to the kids coz we dont wanna blame ourself, or OUR elected governemnt) we blame em for ALL crime, well lets face it, no adult would have to be in jail if they were not fighting of the yobs of today 

OK OK I HOPE you can see this is just me being sarcastic at OTHER posters on here LOL 
    Your comments and one from a.n.other have been pretty good, but others, well I have had to bite my tongue SOOOOOO hard it hurts now LOL

Hope you have a good day at the tables DOHHHHHHH, and dont forget to pop back and check this post and its progress....

so as mentioned above here is the photographic evidence of "animals gone wild"

• edited April 2010
    ahhhh 7-30 this morning I finished playing !!!-300 at one point managed to drag it back and finish up....

Will give my head abit of time to stop spinning then have a read over this again :) 

MORNING ALL! BTW
  • edited April 2010
    Put em in the forces

Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: how should we spend OUR money? : That is precisely what i am talking about. Kids know what they are taught, but they don't listen to adults anymore they listen to music, telly and their mates. If you let kids do what ever they want then that is exactly what they will do. But to say that why should kids have any respect for adults who have brought them up in a ghetto is rubbish. It is the kids and nothing but the kids who make ghettos i am afraid you are wrong. It is not adults and pensioners that make ghettos and you know it. It is blaming adults for all the kids evils that removes them from all responsibility. It is always someone elses fault the poor little hard done by kiddies lolololol. I gave my opinion to the person who started this thread and had a lot more to say but did not want to bore everybody to death. If you blame adults for the murderous heartless kids that plague our society then thats fine you post that but dont bash me in the process thanks.
    Posted by AIRWALKER
    garbage----did the kids make Thamesmead---Moss side--- ect ect ect ect???----eh?

Have you seen any ghetto's in Tunbridge wells?