You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Best film ever!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever!:
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : Have to 1000% endorse the watching of "The Hill". Connery is fantastic in this film. A lot of my friends were put off it being in Black & White but as with 12 Angry Men this is a Golden Oldie that should be seen by all budding film buffs
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Thanks for the Back-up on my recommendation Aces!! Agree totally with 12 Angry Men, the original obviously, not seen the re-make, but what a cast, top names including Gandofini....and.....OSSIE DAVIES...lol
    WHAT A SMALL WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... is it not good then?
  • edited April 2010
    Of Mice and Men
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : Personnaly i thought it was a rubbish list, for some one who is a film buff.
    Posted by loonytoons
    That's what I love best about this forum: intelligent discussion.
  • edited April 2010
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : Thanks for the Back-up on my recommendation Aces!! Agree totally with 12 Angry Men, the original obviously, not seen the re-make, but what a cast, top names including Gandofini....and.....OSSIE DAVIES...lol WHAT A SMALL WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... is it not good then?
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    I think like any film, once you've seen the original, done to the best possible standard... Why remake it?

It would probably pass as a good film had the first one never been made but for some reason, someone out there thought they could improve on greatness lol

Seems to be a popular thing nowadays, i mean they actually remade Psycho ?????? Which idiot sat around and thought "I've got an Idea, i'm giong to remake Psycho because i think I can do a better job than Hitchcock did" lol
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : I think like any film, once you've seen the original, done to the best possible standard... Why remake it? It would probably pass as a good film had the first one never been made but for some reason, someone out there thought they could improve on greatness lol Seems to be a popular thing nowadays, i mean they actually remade Psycho ?????? Which idiot sat around and thought "I've got an Idea, i'm giong to remake Psycho because i think I can do a better job than Hitchcock did" lol
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    I'll give you an example of a re-make which I think improves on the original...

John Huston's version of The Maltese Falcon (1941) is a masterpiece, whereas Roy Del Ruth's 1931 version is merely watchable entertainment.

Oh - and another...

Brian De Palma's Scarface (1983) is outrageously brilliant, whereas Howard Hawks's 1932 gangster flick is one of the most over-rated thrillers of that decade.

Any more examples?  Or are those the only two?

• edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : I'll give you an example of a re-make which I think improves on the original... John Huston's version of The Maltese Falcon (1941) is a masterpiece, whereas Roy Del Ruth's 1931 version is merely watchable entertainment. Oh - and another... Brian De Palma's Scarface (1983) is outrageously brilliant, whereas Howard Hawks's 1932 gangster flick is one of the most over-rated thrillers of that decade. Any more examples?  Or are those the only two?
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Titanic!
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : Titanic!
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi

• edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! :
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    :O
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : I'll give you an example of a re-make which I think improves on the original... John Huston's version of The Maltese Falcon (1941) is a masterpiece, whereas Roy Del Ruth's 1931 version is merely watchable entertainment. Oh - and another... Brian De Palma's Scarface (1983) is outrageously brilliant, whereas Howard Hawks's 1932 gangster flick is one of the most over-rated thrillers of that decade. Any more examples?  Or are those the only two?
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Agreed that some stories can be re-made to improve and surpass, but the common theme with those 2 examples is a below average film made into a great one.

If the first 2 films are as you have said (and i have no reason to doubt but have not seen either of the earlier versions) then you can see where the filmmaker may have looked at it and said "i like that story, but i think it can be done better, that film really doesn't do the idea justice"

But Psycho & 12 Angry Men ??? surely any one looking at those 2 films in particular has to go......... You know what, they did a pretty good job lol

not against remakes in general, just people who remake films they can't surpass for no particular reason

In Example - Manhunter. I'm not a Fan of the Ed Norton Red Dragon remake, however I understand the reason for making it. This allowed them to expand Lectors part and hopkins back to Play the role. Don't like the film, but i get the reason for making it... Hopkins as Lector would generate BANK.......................... Oh wait up............ i just stumbled on the reason for remaking Psycho lol
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : Agreed that some stories can be re-made to improve and surpass, but the common theme with those 2 examples is a below average film made into a great one. If the first 2 films are as you have said (and i have no reason to doubt but have not seen either of the earlier versions) then you can see where the filmmaker may have looked at it and said "i like that story, but i think it can be done better, that film really doesn't do the idea justice" But Psycho & 12 Angry Men ??? surely any one looking at those 2 films in particular has to go......... You know what, they did a pretty good job lol not against remakes in general, just people who remake films they can't surpass for no particular reason In Example - Manhunter. I'm not a Fan of the Ed Norton Red Dragon remake, however I understand the reason for making it. This allowed them to expand Lectors part and hopkins back to Play the role. Don't like the film, but i get the reason for making it... Hopkins as Lector would generate BANK.......................... Oh wait up............ i just stumbled on the reason for remaking Psycho lol
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Very lol!

Manhunter is an amazing film.  And Brian Cox is SO much better as Lecter than Hopkins.

• edited April 2010
    Here's one I forgot to put on my list. God knows how i forgot: -

AMERICAN PSYCHO!!!!!!
  • edited April 2010
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Thomstone - Val Kilmer was excellent.
  • edited April 2010
    for comedy see no evil hear no evil...that was funny
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : Thomstone - Val Kilmer was excellent.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    LOL.. yep Tombstone!! Some great poker scenes...cough..cough...
  • edited April 2010
    Film Buffs & poker players.... PAH!!!! How have we all left out

'Cool Hand Luke' & 'The Cincinnati Kid'!!!!!!!!!

p.s. not seen it, but will record it to-nite as has had so many mentions....
    tonight, 28-4-10 BBC1 11.50pm ......'Rounders', looked at cast, bang up mi street, Damon, Norton, Malkovich
  • edited April 2010
    Film Buffs & poker players.... PAH!!!! How have we all left out 'Cool Hand Luke' & 'The Cincinnati Kid'!!!!!!!!! p.s. not seen it, but will record it to-nite as has had so many mentions.... tonight, 28-4-10 BBC1 11.50pm ......'Rounders', looked at cast, bang up mi street, Damon, Norton, Malkovich
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Interested to know what you thought of Rounders Hitman

No word of a lie this film IS THE REASON I play cards today. And not just good for poker content, my Mrs hates poker but loves this film (or maybe it's just Damon she's interested in lol)
  • edited April 2010
    Just finished watching Rounders   thought it was a good film but not a great one! It was a bit like a abc player you just seemed to know what was coming next! Well thats my opinion I some how dont think it will be a popular one. Sorry!
  • edited April 2010

Nightmare on Elm Street. Really terrifying when it first came out.
    Natural Born Killers. Woody Harelson's a long way from Cheers bar.
    Saw. Up to Saw 3. What a new dimension in gore that was.
    The Serpent and the Rainbow, or was it the rainbow and the serpent. Either way fantastic film about voodoo in Haiti.
    Killer Clowns from Outer Space. So funny, but don't know anyone else who's seen it!
  • edited April 2010
    Nightmare on Elm Street. Really terrifying when it first came out. Natural Born Killers. Woody Harelson's a long way from Cheers bar. Saw. Up to Saw 3. What a new dimension in gore that was. The Serpent and the Rainbow, or was it the rainbow and the serpent. Either way fantastic film about voodoo in Haiti. Killer Clowns from Outer Space. So funny, but don't know anyone else who's seen it!
    Posted by labrat64
    What are your thoughts on the this being Re-made labrat
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : What are your thoughts on the this being Re-made labrat
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Well i suppose in this day of CGI the effects will be amazing, but i don't think you'll ever see anyone do Freddy like Robert Englund
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Best film ever! : Interested to know what you thought of Rounders Hitman No word of a lie this film IS THE REASON I play cards today. And not just good for poker content, my Mrs hates poker but loves this film (or maybe it's just Damon she's interested in lol)
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Actually missed it, got mashed after Fulham beat Hamberg, then went straight on football tour, funnily one of my boys said I would love it, so will catch it & let u know...... o yeah my Mrs Really hates Poker, lol
  • edited May 2010
    hey guys   what about HIGHLANDER, ROMANCING THE STONE and GHOST?
  • edited May 2010
    Posted by lozgo
    When i was younger was a huge Highlander fan (if only they had left it at just the one film lol) romancing the stone was funny but ghost i didn't like
  • edited May 2010
    Local Hero.

Its got the best soundtrack ever!!!!
  • edited May 2010
    Agh its defo gotta be The Goonies! jsut cant beat that film ha

Kid
  • edited May 2010
    Posted by lozgo
    now remember dont lose your head(said in classic connory accent)
  • edited May 2010
    Best Films ever = Terminator 2: Judgement Day One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest Training Day Rocky 4 Best Comedy's = Borat Liar Liar Forest Gump Terminator 3: Rise of The Machines
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    cheech and chong best ever best bit was saving this for a special occasion as im having one now   ps am 68 and still toking every night
  • edited May 2010
    Taxi Driver

not the best film ever for action etc, but it makes you think and is good to watch.
  • edited May 2010
    Top 3 comedy films for me would be YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN , BLAZING SADDLES ( FART JOKES WHAT MORE CAN U ASK FOR LOL ) AND AIRPLANE as for my fave film it would be SEVEN ( even thou i know the ending it still makes the hairs on my neck stand up ) .