You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Changes to cash games

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I LIKE [POT LIMIT
    MORE SKILLED GAME
  • edited May 2010

AJS & all those who have Posted on the Thread.

I have now heard back about this Thread from some of the Suits, who are reviewing it's feedback & comments as stated earlier.

No decision has been made, & it may take a while before any or all is or is not implemented.

But I thought you may like some early reactions, which may lead to more constructive debate -  these are informal, off-the-cuff views, not decisions or policy, just me keeping you up to speed - are as follows.

Any changes they make will need to address achieving a balanced response - it'd be no good changing something that pleases 20% of the Site if it displeases 20% or more of the Players, so they are looking at the ideas from all angles.

For example, you may recall about 6 months back that there was a clamour to change the scheduled Deepies (it may just have been the 7pm ones, I don't quite recall) from 6 seater to 10 seaters, & so Sky Poker did make the change - & there was absolute uproar, as the "silent majority" were all incredibly upset, they wanted to retain the 6 seater format. So they have to view these potential changes from all angles. The views expressed on this Forum, by sheer maths, do not represent necessarily the views of the majority, so they have to tread carefully before making a decision.

Some of the changes, particularly the minimum sit-down, may well need agreement from the Regulators, AGCC (Alderney Gaming Control Commission). As you will have guessed, Sky Poker take Compliance very seriously, they need to be squeaky clean. So if they did change the Minimum Pull-Up, that one would need external consultation with AGCC first. Compliance is a VERY complex subject if addressed properly. It's do-able, no doubt at all, if that be the decision, but it has to go through "Process". FWIW, I think Sky Poker might take the view that discriminating against the short-stackers is not, on balance, favourable, but we shall see, in due course.

I'm not sure I fully understand the comments by you & others as to quicker means to re-load. I just press "Cashier" & "MAXIMUM", it's lightning fast, takes less than 3 seconds, so I'm a bit lost on that one, but perhaps I misunderstand the point. Can someone better enlighten me?

Thinning out the various Cash-Game Levels (5NL, 10NL, 20NL, etc) - the first reaction was not to go with this. They do want to offer as much choice as possible, so removing the tiered Table Stakes would go against that. As Liquidity improves - & it is improving on the Cash Tables, but it takes time - the "problem" will fade away, I think. 

Cluttered Lobby (NL, PL, FL) - I think the view is likely to be "why not use the Lobby Filter"?

As to the "Sit-Out" issue, there is some confusion over this one, & so it may help if I outline the current parameters for Cash-Game "Sit-Outs".

It is currently NOT Time-Based, but "number of hands" based. As I understand it, at present, on 6 seater Cash Tables, if you are "sat-out" FOUR hands in succession, the software terminates your seat, so to speak. So that one is, again, a "balance" thing. You need to allow players time to take a quick PNB, or "comfort break", & that seems about right & fair to most, I would think. Oddly, it would take FAR longer for the Software to recognize this on a 10 seater Cash-Table, but I'm pretty sure your comments related to 6 Seater play.

So, as you see, it needs a bit of thought. When I was a kid - a while back, between you & me - we used to say "measure twice, cut once", & that's about the strength of it.

I'll post more of their initial reactions as & when I hear them, but please keep the feedback coming in the current reasoned style, as everyone did, as it's really extremely useful, thank you.

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Changes to cash games:
    AJS & all those who have Posted on the Thread. I have now heard back about this Thread from some of the Suits, who are reviewing it's feedback & comments as stated earlier. No decision has been made, & it may take a while before any or all is or is not implemented. But I thought you may like some early reactions, which may lead to more constructive debate -   these are informal, off-the-cuff views, not decisions or policy, just me keeping you up to speed - are as follows. Any changes they make will need to address achieving a balanced response - it'd be no good changing something that pleases 20% of the Site if it displeases 20% or more of the Players, so they are looking at the ideas from all angles. For example, you may recall about 6 months back that there was a clamour to change the scheduled Deepies (it may just have been the 7pm ones, I don't quite recall) from 6 seater to 10 seaters, & so Sky Poker did make the change - & there was absolute uproar, as the "silent majority" were all incredibly upset, they wanted to retain the 6 seater format. So they have to view these potential changes from all angles. The views expressed on this Forum, by sheer maths, do not represent necessarily the views of the majority, so they have to tread carefully before making a decision. Some of the changes, particularly the minimum sit-down, would need agreement from the Regulators, AGCC (Alderney Gaming Control Commission). As you will have guessed, Sky Poker take Compliance very seriously, they need to be squeaky clean. So if they did change the Minimum Pull-Up, that one would need external consultation with AGCC first. Compliance is a VERY complex subject if addressed properly. It's do-able, no doubt at all, if that be the decision, but it has to go through "Process". FWIW, I think Sky Poker might take the view that discriminating againat the short-stackers is not, on balance, favourable, but we shall see, in due course. I'm not sure I fully understand the comments by you & others as to quicker means to re-load. I just press "Cashier" & "MAXIMUM", it's lightning fast, takes less than 3 seconds, so I'm a bit lost on that one, but perhaps I misunderstand the point. Thinning out the various Cash-Game Levels (5NL, 10NL, 20NL, etc) - the first reaction was not to go with this. They do want to offer as much choice as possible, so removing the tiered Table Stakes would go against that. As Liquidity improves - & it is improving on the Cash Tables, but it takes time - the "problem" will fade away, I think.  Cluttered Lobby (NL, PL, FL) - I think the view is likely to be "why not use the Lobby Filter"? As to the "Sit-Out" issue, there is some confusion over this one, & so it may help if I outline the current parameters for Cash-Game "Sit-Outs". It is currently NOT Time-Based, but "number of hands" based. As I understand it, at present, on 6 seater Cash Tables, if you are "sat-out" FOUR hands in succession, the software terminates your seat, so to speak. So that one is, again, a "balance" thing. You need to allow players time to take a quick PNB, or "comfort break", & that seems about right & fair to most, I would think. Oddly, it would take FAR longer for the Software to recognize this on a 10 seater Cash-Table, but I'm pretty sure your comments related to 6 Seater play. So, as youi see, it needs a bit of thought. When I was a kid - a while back, between you & me - we used to say "measure twice, cut once", & tghat's about the strngth of it. I'll post more of their initial reactions as & when I hear them, but please keep the feedback coming in the current reasoned style, as everyone did, as it's really extremely useful, thank you.  
    Posted by Tikay10

For me, when I lose say half my stack in a hand, I want to reload for the next hand so I don't miss out on maximum value for the next one but often I am not quick enough. I also have an OCD about keeping my stack at exactly the max buyin, which can be a pain having to reload every time I lose a small blind.  This would be even worse for people like AJS and Beaneh playing 10+ tables. I think that's what they was getting at anyway.

PS - Check PM's :)

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Changes to cash games : For me, when I lose say half my stack in a hand, I want to reload for the next hand so I don't miss out on maximum value for the next one but often I am not quick enough. I also have an OCD about keeping my stack at exactly the max buyin. This would be even worse for people like AJS and Beaneh playing 10+ tables. I think that's what they was getting at anyway. PS - Check PM's :)
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    Thanks, received, replied, received reply, et al. Next case.
  • edited May 2010
    a good thing I noticed on another site.  Private tournaments. Where you can invite a bunch of your mates and choose the starting stack and blind levels and buy-in etc. For example you can have a $5 10 steater sitngo with 15min levels and winner takes all. I've seen a few of the forum regulars have been doing it with the sitngo's on sky already (i have never been invited) but I think it would be good if you fancied a bit of a long game with your friends. I know it isnt cash tables. Sorry.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    hi mr miyagi.

you dont have to be invited. you just need to register around 10pm.

its a first come first served basis.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Changes to cash games : Done, & I'm on the case, leave it with me please. By the way, I got your PM - identically - EIGHT times! It is cos I'm old?
    Posted by Tikay10

Lol sorry about that Tikay... 8 times! I must have kept clicking send if the web browser was not loading quick enough!!

I have replied now, and thanks so much for your quick action, I owe you one!

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Changes to cash games : For me, when I lose say half my stack in a hand, I want to reload for the next hand so I don't miss out on maximum value for the next one but often I am not quick enough. I also have an OCD about keeping my stack at exactly the max buyin, which can be a pain having to reload every time I lose a small blind.  This would be even worse for people like AJS and Beaneh playing 10+ tables. I think that's what they was getting at anyway. PS - Check PM's :)
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    yeah this, playing more than 8 tables your having to click that top up box almost constantly and it takes a bit to appear sometimes so would be nice to just not have to worry about it.

• edited May 2010
    As to the "Sit-Out" issue, there is some confusion over this one, & so it may help if I outline the current parameters for Cash-Game "Sit-Outs". It is currently NOT Time-Based, but "number of hands" based. As I understand it, at present, on 6 seater Cash Tables, if you are "sat-out" FOUR hands in succession, the software terminates your seat, so to speak. So that one is, again, a "balance" thing. You need to allow players time to take a quick PNB, or "comfort break", & that seems about right & fair to most, I would think. Oddly, it would take FAR longer for the Software to recognize this on a 10 seater Cash-Table, but I'm pretty sure your comments related to 6 Seater play.  
    Posted by Tikay10

How does this work on the heads up table.  I sat down on one and the other player was sat out.  I waited for a while but got bored and went and found a 6-seater.   Obviously no hands are being dealt so is it time based?
  • edited May 2010
    I want rasberry tables for cash...false advertising on TV!!!!!!

x
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Changes to cash games : For me, when I lose say half my stack in a hand, I want to reload for the next hand so I don't miss out on maximum value for the next one but often I am not quick enough. I also have an OCD about keeping my stack at exactly the max buyin, which can be a pain having to reload every time I lose a small blind.  This would be even worse for people like AJS and Beaneh playing 10+ tables. I think that's what they was getting at anyway. PS - Check PM's :)
    Posted by Cowgomoo

wat wat

Play more first person shooters, I am lightening quick smashing the 'get more chips' and max button..... i've had a lot of practice :-O

I think the only thing that really NEEDS acting on is the short stacks. 

Other poker sites ie the big two have relatively recently started to address the problem, their solution was to offer a range of buyin settings for each limit, some 'shallow games' (10-40bb) some deep games (100-250bb) and some normal games (40-100bb). This seems like a good idea. It seems kind of pointless having people sit with £20 at 1/2 when the standard open is 8 and lots of hands are being 3 bet to 32. 

I don't think anyone should be stopped from playing but for the sake of the games it would be best to sort the minimum buyin settings.

edit also fwiw the people who sit short would be better off moving down anyway so this may help them.

Also I'd like more than 4 hands to go to the loo please. No seriously, please.

4 hands?!?  how far away is your loo?!!?

Sometimes that's 4 folds preflop, sometimes thats 4 5 way limped pots which are minbet minraised 3 way to the river which obviously takes about a week.  So somedays I need to insta pee and be back in my seat in a minute and a half and some days I can do a number 2 wash my hands and put the kettle on. 4-5 mins would be perfect.

I think the main problem with people being stacked is that they probably close the window and close their browser so having not pressed stand up sky things their still there but maybe disconnected? so that makes them stay in their seat for longer than they would normally.
  • edited May 2010
    how about not pressing the sit out button and closing your browser instead-- maybe this way you get 5 mins instead of a few hands to do your number twos?
  • edited May 2010
    And another fingamebob--- what exactly is wrong with a short stacker??--- the only thing I can think of is that greedy pigs don't like them-- If someone prefers to start with a short stack, then why not let them?---greedy pigs!!
  • edited May 2010
    Mere novice, thanks for your opinions, 1) Reason I suggested this is to stop people buying in for 10 bb. Short stackers are really important for the game but for example last night I sat at 200nl with £200 3 people joined me with £20, it just aint poker. 2) Not really that bothered about this was just an idea I thought would tidy things up. 3) I play 80 to 500nl. There are two reasons for this idea, firstly to make the blinds easy round numbers just to make life easier and secondly I try to get higher games going at the site and I think if there wasnt so many different levels people would get in the habbit of playing 500nl and we could get a few tables going everyday, rather than 1 day 1 300nl table next 1 400nl table etc etc.
    Posted by ajs4385

can you explain what is, if it "just ain't poker"---- whats wrong with a short stack?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Changes to cash games : can you explain what is, if it "just ain't poker"---- whats wrong with a short stack?
    Posted by oynutter
    I think the point is that it removes many elements from the game such as "playing down the streets" and large bluffs.
    If you were playing a tournament and people only had 10bb from the start you (and many others) would be condemning it as a "shove-fest" (or "donk-fest" if you prefer).
    Similarly if someone buys in for 10bb in a cash game they will generally have no other play than to shove aipf.

It is quite reasonable, imho, to want to have some tables where people who wish to play this way can do so but it is equally valid for some people to want to avoid this sort of player.
    There is, surely, room on Sky Poker for both and creating tables that satisfy each type of demand would be ideal - so long as the tables are clearly distinguished.

• edited May 2010
    As to the "Sit-Out" issue, there is some confusion over this one, & so it may help if I outline the current parameters for Cash-Game "Sit-Outs". It is currently NOT Time-Based, but "number of hands" based. As I understand it, at present, on 6 seater Cash Tables, if you are "sat-out" FOUR hands in succession, the software terminates your seat, so to speak. So that one is, again, a "balance" thing. You need to allow players time to take a quick PNB, or "comfort break", & that seems about right & fair to most, I would think. Oddly, it would take FAR longer for the Software to recognize this on a 10 seater Cash-Table, but I'm pretty sure your comments related to 6 Seater play.   Posted by Tikay10
    How does this work on the heads up table.  I sat down on one and the other player was sat out.  I waited for a while but got bored and went and found a 6-seater.   Obviously no hands are being dealt so is it time based?
    Posted by Patching99

"I don't know" is the short answer, but I'll try & find out. I guess it makes sense for H-U to be treated differently, if for no other reason that hands comes round much quicker than on a 6 or 10 seater Table.
  • edited May 2010

The question/debate on "short stackers" is one I'll leave you guys to debate, it's something that arouses strong passions & "vigorous" debate on every poker Forum on earth, in much the same way as "hit & run" does, & so I keep out of the debates, as I don't feel that strongly either way on either issue.

Except....

It IS the right of any player to play "short", just as it's their right to so-called "hit & run".

So, the challenge for the Service Provider - in this case, Sky Poker, is to find an accommodation that suits both parties without discriminating against either. I fancy that of all the excellent questions & ideas that "ajs" put forward, that one is the most difficult to solve without marginalising a whole bunch of players.

Not an easy fix, that one.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Changes to cash games : I think the point is that it removes many elements from the game such as "playing down the streets" and large bluffs. If you were playing a tournament and people only had 10bb from the start you (and many others) would be condemning it as a "shove-fest" (or "donk-fest" if you prefer). Similarly if someone buys in for 10bb in a cash game they will generally have no other play than to shove aipf. It is quite reasonable, imho, to want to have some tables where people who wish to play this way can do so but it is equally valid for some people to want to avoid this sort of player. There is, surely, room on Sky Poker for both and creating tables that satisfy each type of demand would be ideal - so long as the tables are clearly distinguished.
    Posted by MereNovice
    1st highlighted point - they may shove but as it's pre flop there is no need to call if we do not wish to

2nd highlighted point - Agreed that a deepstack table at every level with min buy-in would solve this but i think you have to favour more tables with lower min stack and just 1 or 2 to cater for the deep stack purist as this is after all a commercial venture
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Changes to cash games : 1st highlighted point - they may shove but as it's pre flop there is no need to call if we do not wish to 2nd highlighted point - Agreed that a deepstack table at every level with min buy-in would solve this but i think you have to favour more tables with lower min stack and just 1 or 2 to cater for the deep stack purist as this is after all a commercial venture
    Posted by ACESOVER8s

If myself and Aj have 100 pounds at a 0.5/1 table, as is Ajs style he'll try and nick my bb, I would re-raise him but the guy in the big blind with 10£ might call me allin and force me to show my cards. 

People sitting with 10 bbs and getting it in with 7 high is not skill or a game style it's just a quick gamble attempting to spin up. These people would be better off playing lower stakes anyway.

Also with just how short the current minimum is set, it would be very easy for people to sit at every table and shortstack professionally like we used to have problems with on other sites. Yes it's a game style but when it is one based on reducing play, reducing decisions and allowing for no post flop play. I don't see why that should be protected to the detriment of the bulk of players who want to play with proper stacks and play proper poker.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Changes to cash games : If myself and Aj have 100 pounds at a 0.5/1 table, as is Ajs style he'll try and nick my bb, I would re-raise him but the guy in the big blind with 10£ might call me allin and force me to show my cards.  People sitting with 10 bbs and getting it in with 7 high is not skill or a game style it's just a quick gamble attempting to spin up. These people would be better off playing lower stakes anyway. Also with just how short the current minimum is set, it would be very easy for people to sit at every table and shortstack professionally like we used to have problems with on other sites. Yes it's a game style but when it is one based on reducing play, reducing decisions and allowing for no post flop play. I don't see why that should be protected to the detriment of the bulk of players who want to play with proper stacks and play proper poker.
    Posted by beaneh
    As a game of altering your style of play to counteract that of players on your table is it not fair game?

I understand what your saying and i'm not saying that it's not annoying, but as with known Hit n Runners you have the option to sit out when one of these players joins a table. Now if it's just the odd one or two appearing every now and again then this shouldn't be a problem.... however if there are loads of them appearing all over the place then doesn't that suggest that a good proportion of players on the site are enjoying taking a punt on larger stakes with short rolls???? if the later is the case then all i'm saying is you have to cater for what ALL they players want (as far as possible). I think there should be deepstack tables for people that like to play deep though with a much higher min buy in so i do accpet your point
  • edited May 2010
    shortstacks are bad for the games. They break tables. If theres a table of 3 SSer's and 3 fullstackers and 2 fullstackers leave, the game will most likely break. If its people with more than 50bbs the game will probably carry on and fill up again. There have been other sites which have been plagued by shortstackers and its ruined their traffic because dont want to play at tables with 4 shortstackers just shoving every other hand. Sky doesnt have a big problem at the moment but it would be a good idea to promote 100bb poker.

Increasing minbuying to 40bb or something would not lose any players but could definitely attract players.
  • edited May 2010
    Out of all my original points the two that I think really need to be addresse are short stackers and people sitting out. The others arnt really that important.

Short stackers- Firstly let me say people buying in short looking to have a gamble are very important for the poker economy do not underestimate this. However, 10bb is just too short, if you or your opponent is this short there is hardly any decisions to make and therefore less decisions=less skill (thats why a donkament is called a donkament).  I really really DONT want to see short stacking stopped just 10bb is too short, I would love to see it raised to 20 or 30bb minimum buy in, but no more.

Sit out times - As said before sit out time should be 5 minutes, gives you time to have a break or deposit but any less does not give you time, any more is not fair on other players on the table or players waiting to get onto the table.
  • edited May 2010

Thanks for the clarification there AJS. The way you set up the Thread has resulted in a great debate, & I'm sure that as a result, the Suits will study it with some care.

• edited May 2010
    Out of all my original points the two that I think really need to be addresse are short stackers and people sitting out. The others arnt really that important. Short stackers- Firstly let me say people buying in short looking to have a gamble are very important for the poker economy do not underestimate this. However, 10bb is just too short, if you or your opponent is this short there is hardly any decisions to make and therefore less decisions=less skill (thats why a donkament is called a donkament).  I really really DONT want to see short stacking stopped just 10bb is too short, I would love to see it raised to 20 or 30bb minimum buy in, but no more. Sit out times - As said before sit out time should be 5 minutes, gives you time to have a break or deposit but any less does not give you time, any more is not fair on other players on the table or players waiting to get onto the table.
    Posted by ajs4385

Yeh this.
  • edited May 2010
    Could I ask for a "Stand before next BB button"
    Its easy to miss if a player leaves or is felted before you get chance to press the stand button. I know its not much but it would help me.

Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000
  • edited May 2010
    Could I ask for a "Stand before next BB button" Its easy to miss if a player leaves or is felted before you get chance to press the stand button. I know its not much but it would help me. Keep Smiling HAL_9000
    Posted by HAL_9000

That would be delightful but quite unlikely unfortunately.

FWIW the auto act buttons still don't work. When you tick 'call any' or 'fold' and then action is on you all the buttons come up and you're like well duh I already pressed it.
  • edited May 2010
    Could I ask for a "Stand before next BB button" Its easy to miss if a player leaves or is felted before you get chance to press the stand button. I know its not much but it would help me. Keep Smiling HAL_9000
    Posted by HAL_9000
    Untick the "auto blind" option as soon as the blinds go through you. Then you get the option to sit out before you have to pay the next big blind.

What would be useful is to able to stand UTG immediately after folding. In that way, someone can take the seat before the next hand and be positioned ready to pay the bb. This is particularly useful when there is a queue for the table and for people who wait until the bb before paying the ante.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for the clarification there AJS. The way you set up the Thread has resulted in a great debate, & I'm sure that as a result, the Suits will study it with some care.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm not
  • edited May 2010
    Out of all my original points the two that I think really need to be addresse are short stackers and people sitting out. The others arnt really that important. Short stackers- Firstly let me say people buying in short looking to have a gamble are very important for the poker economy do not underestimate this. However, 10bb is just too short, if you or your opponent is this short there is hardly any decisions to make and therefore less decisions=less skill (thats why a donkament is called a donkament).  I really really DONT want to see short stacking stopped just 10bb is too short, I would love to see it raised to 20 or 30bb minimum buy in, but no more. Sit out times - As said before sit out time should be 5 minutes, gives you time to have a break or deposit but any less does not give you time, any more is not fair on other players on the table or players waiting to get onto the table.
    Posted by ajs4385
    great explanation of your point on short stacks AJS and you make a good point. I'm sold lol
  • edited May 2010
    Posted by ajs4385
    If someone buys in for ten bbs, they only have this stack for one hand--then they will have 20 bbs or none--the only difference it makes to play is that cards will be shown at showdown
    -you can sit out for 5 mins already--If you close your browser instead of pressing the sit out button
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Changes to cash games : If someone buys in for ten bbs, they only have this stack for one hand--then they will have 20 bbs or none--the only difference it makes to play is that cards will be shown at showdown -you can sit out for 5 mins already--If you close your browser instead of pressing the sit out button
    Posted by oynutter
    people r giving ideas to improve the site/ make higher traffic, i don't mean to be rude but post something constructive or not at all.
    please don't bring your personal grudge with ajs onto this thread.