You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Are you going to get any real poker player presenters?

edited July 2010 in Sky Poker Live

I play poker quite alot, and usually watch SKY poker on TV too see if I can improve my game, think about situations differently. I have nothing against any of the presenters, they all seem very nice and do there job of presenting well and they are funny.

However Everyone I saw so far barring Tikay seem to have little to no knowledge on poker and just seem to make up stuff as they go along.

I just recently watched a hand were someone limped UTG AA and the sb called with J10. the discussion of the hand was shockingly bad, and the praise of the guy folding AA on the turn with an overpair and NFD was congratulated.

I really like the show but you need to get some presenters who know how to play the game and have the ability to analyse hands correctly.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Hi Harvey23
    There are two roles when it comes to the on screen talent, which is Presenters and Analysts. The Presenters are Richard, LM, Sarah and DP. The Analysts are Tikay, Ed, Trevor and James. It is the Analysts job to comment on the hands and give advice on play to which they do a brilliant job. We would love to get some high profile pro players to guest analyses or work with us full time but they are all sponsored.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Are you going to get any real poker player presenters?:
    Hi Harvey23 There are two roles when it comes to the on screen talent, which is Presenters and Analysts. The Presenters are Richard, LM, Sarah and DP. The Analysts are Tikay, Ed, Trevor and James. It is the Analysts job to comment on the hands and give advice on play to which they do a brilliant job. We would love to get some high profile pro players to guest analyses or work with us full time but they are all sponsored.
    Posted by Sky_Claire

Thanks for the reply and yeah I figured before hand that out of the two one would assume the presenter role and the other analyst, I just sometimes have a hard time differentiating between the two. Don’t get me wrong I think there all great presenters and enjoy watching them but some of the “analyst” I feel do a poor job of discussing the action.

yeah in an ideal world it would be great to have the top poker pros as analysts, but its just not possible for many different reasons. I just suggested that I think it would be better viewing for the more “serious” type of players if you had better analysts who actually know what is happening during hands instead of just jibbering on.

• edited June 2010
    well we are looking into inviting some of our home players onto the show and letting them have a go at analysising..... up for the challenge?
  • edited June 2010
    I have to take exception with a lot of this, it is after all only your opinion that the analysts do not give decent advice, one thing that the shows always provide is interactive analysis and they will respond if you email in or post on the forum with any disagreements.

They can of course see all the cards, so when someone folds AA it may be a phenominal fold when you take into consideration the player has no knowledge of the other cards! People play AA in different ways, in my opinion slow playing them is dangerous but it does work for others and gets maximum value

James Hartigan is one of the most respected poker commentators in the world, he has worked alongside Gavin Griffin, Daniel Negreanu and pretty much anybody who is anybody in poker, I have also had the pleasure of playing live with James, Ed Giddins and Tikay at the SPT events and even arranged a special Sit and Go in Newcastle which Tikay took down with absolute poker goddness!

I was also a phone guest for 2 hours on master cash where my game was analysed, they gave me some very sound advice.  Trevor Harris is an extremely good cash game player and try playing Omaha Hi/Lo with Tikay! Free lessons.

Also a mention for Sky Dave (Dave Bland) who helps out in the chat box during Omaha Hi/Lo cash games and when I had the pleasure of playing with him in the APAT qualifiers was a class above us all and would have qualified easily had he been able to play all the games. Dave is a top poker journalist.

I think the Sky analysts are fantastic and the chemistry on screen with the presenters (and in real life!) is second to none.

Dave
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks Dave thats a lovely post!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Are you going to get any real poker player presenters? :   Well, ?       Sky Claire has thrown down the "Gauntlet"  Man or mouse.!! 
    Posted by logdon
    LOL I am going to get a bad reputation as I done the same to Bennydip on a similar subject. Unfortunately he has delayed the challenge :)
  • edited June 2010

@ SolarCarro working along side top poker players does not make you a good poker analyst yourself, I mean I could go kick a football with Wayne Rooney, that does not make me a great footballer.

I have not saw all of the analysts at work so I can’t comment on them all, but I feel I could do a better job of analyzing (no presenting) then a few that I have saw, I have saw 4 so far and I think Tikay and Trevor Harris were the only one that impressed me.

Also if you are looking for home players to analyze I would like to put my self forward as I think I could do a better job then a few of the current analysts. I play 95% cash games though, so my SNG/MTT strat would not be as good, so I would like to come on a cash day

• edited June 2010
    did you say you sent me a PM, how do I access them

and btw I am no eye candy sorry.
  • edited June 2010
    Harvey, I'm sorry mate but I have to agree with everything that Dave (SolarCarro) said. Everybody has their opinions on the game and analysts are no different. Just because they have a different opinion to yours does not mean that either of you are wrong, its an opinion! They give THEIR analysis of the hands as they see them. Tikay's analysis maybe completely different to Trevor Harris's and so on with Ed and James! They are all respected and DO know about AND play the game!

As far as the presenters are concerned, they are learning just like the majority of people watching and playing on here. Rich Orford and Lisa Marie have shown vast improvements in their knowledge and understanding of the game and are both now very good players as well as excellent presenters!

OK, so there are no "recognised" professionals but you try playing against the likes of Tikay, Trevor, Ed or any of the others in their preferred form of the game and I'm sure you'd see that they are more than worthy opponents.

From what you've said, it seems to me that you think presenting and analysing on TV is easy! But, if you'd done any form of presenting you would realise that it is not as easy as THEY make it look! It is extremely difficult and they do a fantastic job! But don't take my word for it, take up Sky Claire's offer and try it for yourself and prove me wrong! But, until you have, please do not be so disparaging about them!

Cheers, Chris
  • edited June 2010

As I've only been playing for six months or so I'm obviously not best placed to assess the analysis (let alone spell it)

The main criteria for me is that Mrs Butini is quite content for 865 to be on while she's reading a book or gambling on line.....she's hardly into poker but the personalities and the fun triggered on screen sometimes manage to draw her in, Rich and TKs double act for instance provides entertainment that is worthy of any programme let alone poker.

Alter the mix and you "may" get some better more precise insights into the game.....but I might have to give up the remote and watch Desperate Housewifes or something equally dreadful much more often.

And coming back to my opening line, in the six months I've been playing I think I've learned a heck of a lot from ALL the folks on Sky - maybe that's part of it - for much of the time Sky probably have it in mind that they are fostering a good many beginners to the game playing "level one" poker with baby steps.

• edited June 2010
    I have to agree with Dave here as well. I am guessing as you said you have seen 4 analysts  and have only been impressed with tikay and Trevor harris, that you wasn't impressed with James hartigan who is a very well respected poker commentator at the highest level of the poker world so i think his CV defiantly shows he is more than worthy of his place on this show.

Poker analysts have a very difficult job (especially on live tv) people always will have different ideas on how a hand should be played and people will always disagree and debate how hands should be played forever FACT. That's what makes poker such a great game. There are plenty of things i have disagreed with that i think all four have said on shows previously, and i no they would not mind this in the slightest and would be happy to discuss the hands on the forums and pm's (which makes skys analysis so great the live interaction) They have never said there opinions/analysis of a hand is gospel. All four have different strengths and styles so they will always have different ideas on hands. 

Another thing you may not of taken into account is this site has alot of people learning there game and beginners, the analysts may think a hand has been played awfully and may be inside pulling there hair out when someone bets 20 into 480 (Tikay) lol. But they are good people and want to help the new players so instead of criticizing the play they tactfully suggest that the play isn't optimal etc etc... which makes there job even harder imo.

I hope you take sky claire up on her kind offer as you may realise what a difficult job they have.

Rob

• edited June 2010
    well we are looking into inviting some of our home players onto the show and letting them have a go at analysising..... up for the challenge?
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    Very good idea Claire
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah totally agree with robc there, the reason you won't improve playing with Wayne Rooney is that Wayne Rooney isn't interested in playing with you, if he were, he would definately improve your game, James Hartigan isn't the commentator for the EPT by chance! He got the job because of his impressive knowledge and experience in the game!

The advice given is always done respectfully and with improvement in mind, so that we all learn just a little thing from each game we play and lets face it, we are ALL learning.

I echo the sentiments here, I can't wait to see you in the studio analysing the play, interesting experiment!

Dave
  • edited June 2010
    It cant be easy to anaylise cards on live tv which you cannot see, make it funny, interesting and entertaining, and get every analysis spot on every time. Im sorry, but i dont think phil ivey, daniel negranu or anyone you like could do a better job than any of the analyst's/presenters on sky. they have a real talent and Dave's post is spot on.. there will be the odd hicup in analysis its only natural, and its LIVE TV!!!!

it angers me that people can sit and criticize when they dont have the balls  or the ability to do it themselves!

i have met many of the sky presenters, anyalists and production team many times, visited the studio etc, and their professionalism and class cannot be underestimated. this may seem like a brown nose post but i dont care as i speaketh the truth!

CLAIRE YOU DO A FANTASTIC JOB, KEEP IT UP!

hoggers
  • edited June 2010

I dont think even Phil Ivey could do a better job on the tv tournaments as the analysts have no reads on the players or knowledge of the table dynamics, the only advice they can give is ABC poker so the most important thing is that they interact well with each other and make the show entertaining. (which they all do a great job imo)

edit: basically what Greg said lol.

• edited June 2010
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    me me me lol but can only do 3 weeks then not contactable for 3 weeks
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    id love a shot at this, although i dont think im as good as your current presenters.
  • edited June 2010
    Some day I would love to have a go
  • edited June 2010

Some of the presenters just commentate on what is happening. For example is someone raises pre flop, they will say now “player X” has done a standard Cbet. Yeah okay we can see that, but why don’t you give your thoughts on the cbet, for example why not discuss the following

Texture of the flop-

Is this a good flop to cbet?

does it hit your perceived range?

For example if player X raises AK In MP and get called by someone on the button, flop is 754.  

How often you are going to get floated on this board?

do you have any fold eqiuty against this player?

what are you repping?

what are you going to do on the turn if it’s a brick?

They should be asking and answering these questions.

All I here is “okay now player X should do a standard cbet”? if you are always making a standard cbet, you are going to get exploited so much by players who know anything about poker.  Which is terrible advice which I here from some of them.

They do not go in depth of any of the hands, rather just commenter on what is happening, I can see what is happening, why not give us your thoughts and opinions on lines taken.

• edited June 2010
    I dont think even Phil Ivey could do a better job on the tv tournaments as the analysts have no reads on the players or knowledge of the table dynamics, the only advice they can give is ABC poker so the most important thing is that they interact well with each other and make the show entertaining. (which they all do a great job imo) edit: basically what Greg said lol.
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    lol i hope you are making a joke about the phil ivey bit. So what if they have no reads, they should ASSUME that everyone is a competent untill proven otherwise. For example if someone limps utg with 82s or something, we will now ASSUME that they are not very good and a weak player, untill they have proven us otherwise again.

If you read my post I never said they did a bad job presentering, they do a good job, they analysing of pokers hands is very poor, and they hardly break the hand down. They will thow in basic words like "float", "cbet", "double barrell". Then they wont explain weather its good or bad to cbet this board, or "player X is double barreling here" yeah thank you we can see that, do you have any thoughts on this double barrell, is is a correct flop texture, what do does your line look like you repping? etc etc.

no meat at all in the analysis
  • edited June 2010
    Hi Harvey,

I appreciate you're frustrated about the lack of in-depth analysis on the live shows.  But, while I think there's always room for improvement, and take on board some of your criticisms, I hope you understand the following...

1) The live shows work to a strict running order and we have very limited time to discuss each hand.

2) The brief for the live shows is to be informative and entertaining (this is the "jabbering on" bit you don't seem to like).  As a previous poster hinted, we would probably lose a healthy chunk of our casual audience if we went too far down the road of hardcore poker analysis.

3) We have many viewers who've just discovered the game and are learning the basics.  It's often tough to balance their needs (explaining the fundamentals of Hold'em) and those of the more advanced player.

I've tried, in recent weeks, to deal with one specific topic per programme.  On the 'Primo' show, we've discussed fold equity, risk aversion and value betting.  I'm sure there'll be the opportunity in future programmes to examine subjects like reading flop texture and when/when not to c-bet.

Thanks once again for your feedback.

James.

• edited June 2010
    Hi Harvey, I appreciate you're frustrated about the lack of in-depth analysis on the live shows.  But, while I think there's always room for improvement, and take on board some of your criticisms, I hope you understand the following... 1) The live shows work to a strict running order and we have very limited time to discuss each hand. 2) The brief for the live shows is to be informative and entertaining (this is the "jabbering on" bit you don't seem to like).  As a previous poster hinted, we would probably lose a healthy chunk of our casual audience if we went too far down the road of hardcore poker analysis. 3) We have many viewers who've just discovered the game and are learning the basics.  It's often tough to balance their needs (explaining the fundamentals of Hold'em) and those of the more advanced player. I've tried, in recent weeks, to deal with one specific topic per programme.  On the 'Primo' show, we've discussed fold equity, risk aversion and value betting.  I'm sure there'll be the opportunity in future programmes to examine subjects like reading flop texture and when/when not to c-bet. Thanks once again for your feedback. James.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    +1 Us presenters are there to 'drive' the show forward, provide the middle man between the player and the professional analyst. But trust me, we also have to know a fair amount of poker and at the very least have enthusiasm and passion for the game and the way it is played. We are the laymen of the show.. asking questions that the 'average' player would want to know and we are by no means professional players as we learn from the action before us.

Our amazing analysts not only have to drive through the hands and help keep the show entertaining and informative but they also have to try to involve and 'get into the heads' of a massive range of players. From the absolute beginners who may not really understand what we assume to be 'basic terminology' to the more experienced players who just wouldn't watch if they felt they were being patronised or that we were 'dumbing down'. They have to think on their feet, pick out points of interest or areas/situations that could be improved upon and keep the information relatable and understandable... All with a producer and director in their ear telling them which camera to look at, what's coming up next and what questions/emails/posts/chatbox talk to mention, countdowns to breaks.. links to guests.. etc etc

So yes. Some poker pro's couldn't do the job because they are sponsored elsewhere.. but some couldn't do the job because, quite frankly, it demands a damn sight more than just knowing your poker.

Welcome to the Community Harvey! It's always to pleasure to have a fresh insight and voice and I hope we'll be hearing and seeing a lot more of you :)

xLM

• edited June 2010

Let me first start off by saying for the 12349395th time that I never said you lot were bad presenters, I think you are really good at that part.

thanks for the post James, yeah I imagined that you only get so long to look at one hand, but perhaps the powers that be can do something about it, I think we can all agree that players will learn a lot more if we spent more time on important hands and explain them in more detail, then a quick 2mintue skim? I mean some of the play I see on the TV tables is shockingly bad, I guess your also gagged in calling someone a "bad player" or something which is a shame.

At the moment sky poker to me is more about the community and keeping players on there site then actually improving them. I guess I’m just a more serious and better player then half the people who posted in this thread, as I would like to get more from your TV show then just a community feeling and funny jokes every 5mintues. I want to watch your show to improve my already well rounded poker game, learn more concepts, more poker theorys etc etc.

As for the beginners I can see your point again, I know you don’t have the power, but perhaps the people at  sky who read this can maybe divide the show into separate days, for example, have Monday a show for beginners, then on the Tuesday the advanced poker etc etc.

I also appreciate your post and LMLs, it’s nice to see you can take some heat without being over defensive and moody like some of the other members posting in here.

I don’t play on sky poker much due to me being a full ring player and this site having no rakeback, but I might have to play on the TV tables one day and show some people who are questioning me how to play some real poker.

• edited June 2010
    Let me first start off by saying for the 12349395 th time that I never said you lot were bad presenters, I think you are really good at that part.   thanks for the post James, yeah I imagined that you only get so long to look at one hand, but perhaps the powers that be can do something about it, I think we can all agree that players will learn a lot more if we spent more time on important hands and explain them in more detail, then a quick 2mintue skim? I mean some of the play I see on the TV tables is shockingly bad, I guess your also gagged in calling someone a "bad player" or something which is a shame.   At the moment sky poker to me is more about the community and keeping players on there site then actually improving them. I guess I’m just a more serious and better player then half the people who posted in this thread, as I would like to get more from your TV show then just a community feeling and funny jokes every 5mintues. I want to watch your show to improve my already well rounded poker game, learn more concepts, more poker theorys etc etc.   As for the beginners I can see your point again, I know you don’t have the power, but perhaps the people at   sky who read this can maybe divide the show into separate days, for example, have Monday a show for beginners, then on the Tuesday the advanced poker etc etc.   I also appreciate your post and LMLs, it’s nice to see you can take some heat without being over defensive and moody like some of the other members posting in here.   I don’t play on sky poker much due to me being a full ring player and this site having no rakeback, but I might have to play on the TV tables one day and show some people who are questioning me how to play some real poker.
    Posted by harvey23

I'm sure that you'll find lots of players willing to "learn".

• edited June 2010
    Let me first start off by saying for the 12349395 th time that I never said you lot were bad presenters, I think you are really good at that part.   thanks for the post James, yeah I imagined that you only get so long to look at one hand, but perhaps the powers that be can do something about it, I think we can all agree that players will learn a lot more if we spent more time on important hands and explain them in more detail, then a quick 2mintue skim? I mean some of the play I see on the TV tables is shockingly bad, I guess your also gagged in calling someone a "bad player" or something which is a shame.   At the moment sky poker to me is more about the community and keeping players on there site then actually improving them. I guess I’m just a more serious and better player then half the people who posted in this thread, as I would like to get more from your TV show then just a community feeling and funny jokes every 5mintues. I want to watch your show to improve my already well rounded poker game, learn more concepts, more poker theorys etc etc.   As for the beginners I can see your point again, I know you don’t have the power, but perhaps the people at   sky who read this can maybe divide the show into separate days, for example, have Monday a show for beginners, then on the Tuesday the advanced poker etc etc.   I also appreciate your post and LMLs, it’s nice to see you can take some heat without being over defensive and moody like some of the other members posting in here.   I don’t play on sky poker much due to me being a full ring player and this site having no rakeback, but I might have to play on the TV tables one day and show some people who are questioning me how to play some real poker.
    Posted by harvey23

Sounding like a bit of a phil hellmuth now.

Your original post, although i didn't personally agree with the majority of it, i believed it wasn't necessarily a negative post. Which it seems to have turned into now.

My response was just trying to point out a few things i believed  you may not of taken into account, i see this made you take the opinion of me being a poor player, which is fair enough your entitled to your opinion.

As for sky poker being mainly about the community. Your right sky rightly prides themselves on there great community which i thoroughly enjoy being a part of. I disagree they don't try to improve there players though you should see the work of tikay and others trying to teach people about omaha hi lo. What other site can you interact with the analysts/presenters and ask advice on single hands live as  you can on sky. You have to remember as a tv poker site there will always be alot of beginners which means the analysis has to cater for them aswell as more advanced players which I'm sure you agree is hard to do. 

But as you can see from james,lisa and sky claire responses your voice always gets listened to at sky and they always take your opinions on board. 

Anyway I'm sure you will be showing the analysts how to do there job soon when you go in to the studio, and no doubt next saturday you will be on the tv tables showing the whole sky community 'how to play real poker' :)

Gl at the tables

Rob

• edited June 2010
    In  As for sky poker being mainly about the community. Your right sky rightly prides themselves on there great community which i thoroughly enjoy being a part of. I disagree they don't try to improve there players though you should see the work of tikay and others trying to teach people about omaha hi lo. What other site can you interact with the analysts/presenters and ask advice on single hands live as  you can on sky.
    I am not doubting Tikay helping everyone one, I respect him a great deal, wonderful poker player, and im sure he helps out alot int his forum. And there are many other forums such as twoplustwo where you can intereact with pros and get stratergy advice on hands and stuff.

Perhaps its just me, mabye im a bore? its just id rather see more soild poker advice and theorys then chatter and joke throughot the show?  :(
  • edited June 2010
    Harvey

I had posted another addition to this thread saying you were bordering on arrogance and then deleted it because I re-read it and thought perhaps I was a little harsh, then I read this!

"I guess I’m just a more serious and better player then half the people who posted in this thread"

I haven't stopped laughing for the last 20 mins!

Think James and LML get it spot on and yet again they take the time to post after a 4 hour show at 1am in the morning! And gotta love the sarcasm in the last paragraph of LML

If you want really in deep analysis post a hand and they do it on Sky Poker school where you get a full 5 minutes and they go right down to "flop texture" - (nice buzz word Harvey) there.

ps I am still laughing, so funny!
  • edited June 2010

On behalf of the MC regs, I'll issue a challenge for Harvey to come and put his pennies where his gob is next week.

Tommyd, dylan12, ozzie08, chirpychip, rats, boonicon, myself, and maybe even merenovice will put in a guest appearance at the 2 card tables - we're all ready and waiting to swallow you up, 8pm - 11pm next saturday night.

Be there ;)
  • edited June 2010

Hi DOHHHHHH, I have seen your name on the site a few times, I can’t remember if you are good or not though. Most of my roll is on another site, and Saturday is the best day for me to maximize my profits the fish. I might deposit like 50bucks one of the days when I know they are doing “master cash”, and run over the tables I am at. You won’t see me open limping, calling AK to a raise and 2 callers, playing k8off OOP, and all the basic mistakes I see you make at the tables.

Thanks for the invite though.

• edited June 2010

Is that a no then?

As predictable as the day is long

Oh any btw the last time I limped into a pot was 4 and a half years ago