You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown

Comments

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown:
    world cup costing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!put 50 euro on chile to get money back for stake money for rest of tournament,but put 20 euro e.w on kj choi at 66/1 for us open,i will be following thread for adivce on footie bets cause i'm dead in the water with my predications. come on forlan i might have some luck 2nite forlan and 2-1 win and single on uraguay  come on   i need it!!!!!!!
    Posted by dubmaster
    I also had Forlan for 1st scorer, but with correct score as well 2-2 and 3-2. S. Africa were useless.

I strongly fancy france to suprise a lot of ppl tonight. I know theres been e few goals already today, but think France will get a win and score at least a cpl of goals. Not sure of price but would go for Anelka to score in 90 mins or maybe 1st goal and 3-0
  • edited June 2010

unlucky with the argies/nigeria double jay they were walking it until that muppet got sent off managed to rescue it by backing the greeks at 9/2 when they were 1 down.
    fancy a draw tonight and a sending off

• edited June 2010
    I haven't seen any of the Nigeria game but from what I've read they were in control up until the stupid sending off! 

Right then, on to tomorrow's games

Germany Vs Serbia

Serbia really disappointed me in the opening game & strangely they only seemed to come to life when they were down to 10 men. Germany were awesome against the Aussies & 3 points here will pretty much guarantee the place in the 2nd round. I can't see them scoring 4 again but the points really should be theirs.

Best Bets

Germany to win 2-0 @ 6/1
    Germany to be winning at half time @ 6/5
    Germany to score 2+ goals @ 5/6
    Podolski 1st goal & Germany win 2-0 @ 22/1

Slovenia Vs USA

A crucial game for the USA & one which they're more than capable of winning. Personally I thought Slovenia looked pretty average against Algeria in their opening game & will face a much sterner test against the Americans this time out. I think it'll be tight for the first half hour or so but I fancy USA to take the points here.

Best Bets

USA to win @ evens
    HT/FT - DRAW/USA @ 4/1

England Vs Algeria

If we lose this game then the whole squad should be put in front of the firing squad. Algeria really should pose little threat but what they can do is make things very difficult for us to break them down. Sooner or later Rooney is gonna get a goal & he's got to be worth a shout here. I don't think the scoreline is gonna be as big as some might suggest but the points must surely go England's way here.

Best Bets

England to win 2-0 @ 4/1
    HT/FT - DRAW/ENGLAND @ 11/4
    Rooney 1st goal & England win 2-0 @ 11/1

Just for one day I'd really like a day with no surprises.

Happy betting peeps
  • edited June 2010
    mexico win ht  and draw ft  14/1

10euro double germany and usa to win  stopped doing correct scores  gl all with your bets
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown:
    [. I strongly fancy france to suprise a lot of ppl tonight. I know theres been e few goals already today, but think France will get a win and score at least a cpl of goals. Not sure of price but would go for Anelka to score in 90 mins or maybe 1st goal and 3-0
    Posted by MP33

I got that bit right, but after watching match with so many good individuals on paper you have to blame the manager. No movement off the ball and half the team looked like they didn,t want to be there. i don,t think all is well in the dressing room there

good job i,m skint this week as I would have done a fortune and after just watching Germany I wouldn,t like to guess whats gonna happen next, although you have to fancy the US if they can brk down the Slovenians
  • edited June 2010
    Jesus, these games are killing me. Had a double on Germany & England both to score 2+ goals today & that's another one that's bitten the dust.

Only managed to catch about 15 minutes either side of half time of the Germany game at work & can't believe they didn't manage to score. Mind you, the ref didn't help either cos some of his decisions were terrible (I don't think it was a sending off at all).

Glad I decided not to have any money on the Slovenia/USA game now that Slovenia have gone 2 up. 

Will have a look again at tonight's game but I might just give it a miss & concentrate on tomorrow's games instead.
  • edited June 2010
    DO NOT give it a miss Jay. I know you like a dabble on the handicap betting and ENGLAND (-2) look a massive price at 2/1. This has been backed throughout the day and you could have got 9/4 this morning. Get On.
  • edited June 2010

Poted at midday this afternoon...before kick off....

25/1 trebble

On Serbia, USA t draw, then Engand to finish the trebble for me.

2/3 , England daren't fail tonight....

SURELY???

Im after your job Jay!!!! lol
  • edited June 2010
  • edited June 2010
    Great bet JJ. How much did you put on it?

I've decided to have a flutter on the game but I'm going very cautious & taking the -1 option @ 4/6 instead 

On to tomorrow's games then.

Holland Vs Japan

Japan got off to a great start against Cameroon but they're not gonna get much change out of an awesome Dutch side. Not only am I sure that the Dutch will win this but I think they'll do so fairly comfortably too. 3 points here will see the Dutch progress & despite a couple of surprise results in the last couple of days I think I'll have to give up betting altogether if there's another one here.

Best Bets

Handicapped betting - Holland to win (-1) @ 6/5
    Holland to win 3-0 @ 17/2
    HT/FT - HOLLAND/HOLLAND @ evens
    Both players to score - Van Persie & Kuyt @ 9/2

Ghana Vs Australia

This is a must win game for the Aussies but I'm not convinced they can do it. They looked poor against Germany in their opening game & whilst I don't think Ghana are gonna turn them over in the way the Germans did, I think they might just s natch a narrow win to put one foot in the next round. Australia are without Vince Grella & , more importantly, Tim Cahill. To be honest, I'm a bit on the fence with this one & will probably give it a miss myself but if I had to pick one way or the other I would back Ghana.

Best Bets

Ghana to win @ 19/20
    Ghana to win by 1 goal @ 5/2

Cameroon Vs Denmark

Another must win game for both teams as they look to get their first points of the finals. For this one I'm firmly backing Denmark. Cameroon didn't impress against Japan whilst Denmark matched Holland for the first half of their game only to lose the plot a bit in the 2nd half. An interesting (if somewhat meaningless) fact about Denmark is that they've never gone out in the group stages in all previous appearances in the finals & I don't think it's gonna happen this time either.

Best Bets

Denmark to win @ 6/4
    Denmark to win 2-0 @ 10/1
    Player to be carded - Daniel Agger @ 5/2

Happy betting peeps
  • edited June 2010
    If anyones interested - my tips for tonight

Denmark to win 13/8 - Betfair or 6/4 Sky (not much difference)

With Silent bob due a result and myself this looks like the one to change things

N. Bentdner (don,t know how to spell it)  to score at 5/2 - Betfair or 7/4 Sky

Denmark have to really go out for a win here to stay in and with Bentder up front and telling everyone how good he is should be going for goal. He,s also greedy and will shoot, rather than pass which also helps.

I know i,m mentioning other sites here but sky has got some good prices and 62 different bets on this game alone , its just a case of looking about. 

• edited June 2010
    So much for going cautious last night! I reckon if we were still playing now we wouldn't have scored. What an absolute shower of &@!%$

Anyhow, on to tomorrow's games. I could really do with a winner right now (thanks to Holland not managing a 2nd goal today)

Slovakia Vs Paraguay

The big question here is just how much the late equaliser that New Zealand scored has affected Slovakia? Paraguay looked OK against Italy but ran of of steam towards the end. This is a must win game for Slovakia if they're to have any chance of progressing but I'm not convinced they can win here. Paraguay know that in reality a point here could effectively put them through assuming they beat New Zealand in their last game & it's for that reason I'm backing the draw here.

Best Bets

Draw @ 9/4
    Correct score: 1-1 @ 11/2
    HT/FT - PARAGUAY/DRAW @ 16/1

Italy Vs New Zealand

A game that Italy really should win (mind you, I've said that on a couple of occasions already this tournament). They may not be the side they were a few years ago but there should be little problems posed by the all whites. I don't think it'll be a rout & the general price of 1/6 has no appeal at all so it'll probably be worth looking at the handicapped markets for this (both -1 & -2 are available). These 2 also met in the Confederations Cup out in South Africa last year when Italy won the game 4-3. I don't think they'll be that many goals this time round though.

Best Bets

Handicapped betting - Italy to win (-1) @ 8/15 (although -2 is available at 6/4 I'm not that convinced that Italy will win by 3 or more)
    1st Goalscorer - Alberto Gilardino @ 3/1

Brazil Vs Ivory Coast

Not necessarily a must win game for Ivory Coast but they must avoid a heavy defeat. 3 points for Brazil will see them through to the next round & will mean they may rest one or two in the final game against Portugal where a point would then see them through as group winners. Ivory Coast will be looking to Didier Drogba to get them goals & he may be worth backing.

Best Bets

Brazil to win @ 8/13
    Handicapped betting (for the braver ones amongst us!) - Brazil to win (-1) @ 6/4
    Brazil to win 2-1 @ 8/1
    To score anytime - Didier Drogba @ 11/4

If you want to take a slightly bigger risk then I would do a treble of Slovakia/Paraguay to draw, Italy (-1) to win & Brazil to win. The treble is paying 7/1. 

However, if you believe that Italy @ Brazil are gonna win with ease then try a treble of Slovakia/Paraguay to draw, Italy (-2) to win & Brazil (-1) to win which is paying a very healthy 19/1

Happy betting peeps
  • edited June 2010
    WOW!!!

I think I should seriously consider giving up the betting now. How many people backed New Zealand to get ANYTHING out of today's game then?

• ybyb
    edited June 2010
    WOW!!! I think I should seriously consider giving up the betting now. How many people backed New Zealand to get ANYTHING out of today's game then?
    Posted by silentbob
    Lol this world cup is too unpredictable!!! I've lost every single bet I've done....down about 280 quid so far :(

Fwiw I think 6/5 on there to be over 2 goals in the Brazil v Ivory Coast game is pretty decent...
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown : Lol this world cup is too unpredictable!!! I've lost every single bet I've done....down about 280 quid so far :( Fwiw I think 6/5 on there to be over 2 goals in the Brazil v Ivory Coast game is pretty decent...
    Posted by yb
    I assume you mean the 6/5 for over 2.5 goals tonight? I can't see 6/5 for over 1.5 unless you've got that price from a different site.

Although tbf, 6/5 on 3 goals or more ain't all that bad really. Brazil have got goals in them & can be a little suspect at the back at times (as per the Korean game) & it also depends on what Ivory Coast side turn up tonight as well. Might have a little go on that one myself.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown : I assume you mean the 6/5 for over 2.5  goals tonight? I can't see 6/5 for over 1.5 unless you've got that price from a different site. Although tbf, 6/5 on 3 goals or more ain't all that bad really. Brazil have got goals in them & can be a little suspect at the back at times (as per the Korean game) & it also depends on what Ivory Coast side turn up tonight as well. Might have a little go on that one myself.
    Posted by silentbob
    the way your luck has been im now gonig for a 1-0 brazil scoreline
  • edited June 2010
    Right then, on to tomorrow's games

Portugal Vs North Korea

The Koreans showed they're capable of shutting teams out with the way they kept the Brazilians at bay in their opening game although Brazil's superiority came through in the end. I expect Portugal to win this but I don't expect a big score so finding some value here could be difficult. As I've said before they rely heavily on Ronaldo & I think it'll take some of his magic to unlock the Koreans. Assuming they can keep a clean sheet then it may be worth backing Portugal with a -1 start.

Best Bets

Handicapped betting - Portugal to win (-1) @ evens
    Win to nil - Portugal @ 10/11

Chile Vs Switzerland

Normally I'd be backing Chile all the way here but Switzerland proved that you can't write them off. Switzerland managed to not only keep Spain at bay but also sneak a winner themselves & it's for this reason I'm squarely on the fence with this game. My heart tells me to go with my instinct on a Chilean win but my head says that maybe the Swiss can spring another surprise. I'll probably give this one a miss myself but there's value in backing either team.

Best Bets

Chile to win @ 6/5
    Handicapped betting - Switzerland to win (+1) @ 4/6 

Spain Vs Honduras

Spain cost us punters big time last week when they lost their opening game against the Swiss. They know that not only do they need to win this game but they also need to do it by a decent margin if they're to have any chance of topping this group. No team has ever gone on to win the tournament after losing their opening game but I still wouldn't bet against Spain pulling it off. I fancy them to win this one comfortably & the handicapped market is the place to be for this.

Best Bets

Handicapped betting - Spain to win (-1) @ 4/9 (if you like to play it a little safe after some of the results so far)
    Handicapped betting - Spain to win (-2) @ 11/8
    Spain to win 3-0 @ 5/1
    Scorecast - David Silva 1st goal & Spain win 3-0 @ 25/1

Happy betting peeps
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown : the way your luck has been im now gonig for a 1-0 brazil scoreline
    Posted by 35suited
    After much deliberating I decided against anything for tonight. Just watch the game and enjoy it for once!

• edited June 2010
    Right then, I'm away for a break with the family for a few days now so I won't be online until probably Friday now so here's a quick look at the remaining group games this week

Tuesday:

Mexico Vs Uruguay

Both teams only need a point to guarantee safe passage into the next round & for this reason I would back the draw. No doubt both teams would like to win the group but I can't see them risking going out altogether for the sake of qualifying. 

Best Bets

Match result - DRAW @ 4/6 (draws are NEVER this short)
    HT/FT - DRAW/DRAW @ 6/4

Greece Vs Argentina

Greece have to win to have any chance of going through & I just can't see it happening. They were bloody awful against South Korea & only came into the game against Nigeria once the Nigerians had a man sent off for sheer stupidity. The Argies only need a point here & may even rest one or two in preparation for the 2nd round but even then I can't see Greece getting the necessary win. I think the best they could hope for would be a point but even that's unlikely.

Best Bets

Argentina to win @ 4/7
    HT/FT - AREGENTINA/ARGENTINA @ 5/4
    1st Goalscorer - Sergio Aguero @ 5/1 (with the Argies through they may rest Higuain & Tevez)

Nigeria Vs South Korea

Nigeria still have a slim hope of getting through but for all intents & purposes they're on their way home. The Koreans may only need a point to go through & I think that's probably the least they'll get out of this game. Nigeria know it's gonna take a minor miracle to keep them in the competition & may go into the game deflated.

Best Bets

South Korea to win @ 13/8 (this looks too big to ignore)
    HT/FT - DRAW/KOREA @ 9/2

Wednesday

Slovenia Vs England

This is the big one. Do or die, Sh 1t or bust. We must win this to go through & I really think we will. It ain't gonna be easy, it certainly won't be pretty & I don't think there's gonna be an abundance of goals either. Despite not turning up at the tournament so far I think Rooney should still start although I'd get rid of Heskey in double quick time. Maybe it's time to go with Crouch up front? James will probably retain his place in goal & I'm guessing that Upson will get the nod over Dawson alongside Terry at the back. Hopefully Joe Cole will get a start on the left side as well.

Best Bets

England to win @ 1/2
    England to win 2-0 @ 5/1
    Scorecast - Rooney 1st Goal & England win 2-0 @ 15/1
    Scorecast - Crouch 1st Goal & England win 2-0 @ 22/1 (assuming he gets the nod to start)

USA Vs Algeria

Despite going 2-0 to Slovenia the USA looked good in the 2nd half against them & it's for this reason I expect them to do what we couldn't & beat Algeria. With England playing Slovenia in the last game they know that maximum points here will put them through. The key to how many USA will score here will depend on how the first half goes. If the Algerians keep things tight & keep them goal less at half time then I reckon USA will settle for one goal in the 2nd half. If they can get a goal in the first 20minutes or so then we could easily see 3 or 4 go in for them.

Best Bets

USA to win @ 10/11
    HT/FT - DRAW/USA @ 7/2
    To score 2+ goals - USA @ 11/10

Australia Vs Serbia

The Aussies have to win this to have any chance of going through & on the evidence so far, I just can't see it happening. They were awful against Germany & not much better against Ghana. Despite a poor display against Ghana, Serbia have enough about them not only to win this game but also get through to the knockout stages.

Best Bets

Serbia to win @ 4/5
    To score 2+ goals - Serbia @ 11/10

Ghana Vs Germany

Personally I thought Germany were really unlucky against Serbia the other day. The sending off should never have been & they created a few really good chances that I still don't understand how they lost that game. Ghana will be made to pay for not beating 10 man Australia as I can only see one outcome here & it'll probably be an early exit for them. 

Best Bets

Germany to win @ 4/7
    Handicapped betting - Germany to win (-1) @ 6/4
    To score 2+ goals - Germany @ 8/11

Thursday

Paraguay Vs New Zealand

Who'd have thought that coming into this game New Zealand would still have a realistic chance of actually getting through to the 2nd round!??! Well that's exactly the situation but they're up against a tough Paraguay team who not only currently occupy 1st place in the group but will now be looking to keep hold of it & potentially get an easier (on paper at least) draw against Denmark or Japan in the next round. New Zealand have fought valiantly but their first defeat of the competition will be the one to send them home.

Best Bets

Paraguay to win @ 1/2 (that's all that's available at the time of writing!)

Slovakia Vs Italy

If you'd been on another planet for the past 5 years you'd never know that Italy are the current defending world champions. They've been poor but I think they're gonna scrape through here. I'm not sure of it's been done before, but Italy could even go through without winning a single group game should they draw against Slovakia. I expected better things from Slovakia but I think they'll be heading for an early exit although they should scrape a point here.

Best Bets

Match result - DRAW @ 11/4
    Correct score - 1-1 @ TBC (only 2 markets available for this game at time of writing)

Cameroon Vs Holland

A game where there's absolutely nothing riding on the outcome whatsoever. A deflated Cameroon side against a probable Dutch reserve side. I still expect Holland to take the points in this one but because there's nothing riding on it you should pick your markets carefully.

Best Bets

Holland to win @ 4/5
    HT/FT - DRAW/HOLLAND @ 7/2

Denmark Vs Japan

Talk about a pressure game. Japan currently hold the 2nd qualifying spot courtesy of a 1 goal better goal difference. That means they only need a point here to go through whilst the Danes must take all 3. Japan were impressive against Cameroon & made the Dutch work hard for their points so they're not gonna go out without a fight. At times I thought Denmark were lucky against Cameroon & I think lady luck will be on their side again here. It'll be tense but I think a narrow win will see the Danes through to the next round

Best Bets

Denmark to win @ 11/10
    Denmark to win 1-0 @ 5/1
    Scorecast - Bendtner to score 1st & Denmark win 1-0 @ 22/1

Friday

At the moment there is no betting available for Fridays games. I'm guessing this is because the 2nd matches in groups G & H are being played tonight & tomorrow.

Portugal Vs Brazil

There could be very little riding on this game when played. At the time of writing Brazil are 3-1 up against Ivory Coast so I expect they'll probably be through already. With an expected win for Portugal over North Korea on Monday it seems that a point each will be enough for both teams.

Best Bets

Match result - DRAW @ TBC

North Korea Vs Ivory Coast

Another game where in reality very little could be at stake. Ivory Coast may still have a mathematical chance of going through with victory here but they're likely to need a big win. from what I've seen of both sides so far that's unlikely. I expect the Africans to take the points though & at least go out of the tournament on a high note.

Best Bets

Ivory Coast to win @ TBC

Switzerland Vs Honduras

This game could decide not only whether the Swiss go through but also whether they win the group. I fully expect a 3rd defeat for Honduras here and another clean sheet for Switzerland in the process.

Best Bets

Switzerland to win @ TBC
    Handicapped Betting - Switzerland to win (-1) @ TBC

Chile Vs Spain

This looks as though it could be a classic vital game to finish off the group. Depending on Monday's results, Spain will not only need the points to qualify, but may even need them to win the group. It's gonna be fairly tight & It's gonna be tense but I'm backing Spain to come out on top in this one. I believe that the defeat to Switzerland was only Spain's 2nd defeat in the last 49 games so they're no mugs.

Best Bets

Spain to win @ TBC
    Spain to win 2-1 @ TBC

Happy betting peeps

Jay
  • edited June 2010
    Not long got home from a nice break in sunny Blackpool & I didn't manage to get online in time to follow my own advice! Never mind, with Spain wrestling top spot from Chile tonight I've got one payout coming.

So here we are at the knockout stage (although in fairness we started our knockout stage on Wednesday). If there is one good thing about coming 2nd in the group & playing Germany on Sunday, it's that it doesn't clash with my daughters 2nd birthday party tomorrow!

Two games tomorrow & they should be interesting

Uruguay Vs South Korea

Two teams that have really surprised me in this tournament. I expected both teams to finish bottom of their respective groups & here we are with them meeting each other in the 2nd round. Korea have shown they're no pushovers with a well earned win against Greece & a draw against Nigeria (who have been a little disappointing this time round). This is the first time South Korea have qualified for the 2nd round outside of their own country (in 2002) & I think this is where their journey will end. I don't think Uruguay will have it all their own way but they should get through this tie without the need for extra time.

Best Bets

Uruguay to win (90 mins) @ 5/6
    Uruguay to win 2-0 @ 13/2
    Uruguay to score 2+ goals (90 mins) @ 5/4

USA Vs Ghana

Until pretty much the last kick of the USA/Algeria game this would've been England playing here but it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise as more often than not we seem to struggle against teams we should beat. Ghana managed 1 win, 1 draw & 1 defeat in the group stages scoring only 2 goals in the process, both of which were penalties. If they actually had some real firepower they might have seen off Germany & claimed top spot themselves. It's this lack of firepower which is gonna see their tournament end here. The Americans are very resilient & can score goals themselves. I can't see this one going to extra time but I think it'll be a close one with the American dream continuing for a little longer.

Best Bets

USA to win (90 mins) @ 13/8
    USA to win 1-0 @ 5/1
    HT/FT - DRAW/USA @ 9/2

Happy betting peeps

• edited June 2010
    Great thread m8

I'm taking a bit of a beasting from this World Cup :(

Lumped on a double Uruguay & U.S.A. TO QUALIFY @ 13/10
  • edited June 2010
    Great thread m8 I'm taking a bit of a beasting from this World Cup :( Lumped on a double Uruguay & U.S.A. TO QUALIFY @ 13/10
    Posted by diablo_pez
    Unfortunately I think most of us are as well. There's been some really strange results so far. Who would've thought that New Zealand would finish above Italy in their group?!?!?!

• edited June 2010
    I know NZ unbeaten in 3 games....ridic :(

I like Ger/Eng @ 28/1 and Eng/Ger @ 33/1...getting desperate now lol
  • edited June 2010
    When betting there are some things that you simply cannot legislate for & teams not turning up is one of them. Where were the USA in the 1st half last night? They looked better in the 2nd half but went missing again in extra time.

Oh well, on to today's games & the big one. If England are to go all the way this time then we're gonna have to do it the hard way starting today. I've also put tomorrow's games below as well as win or lose today I'm likely to be a little under the influence later on!

Germany Vs England

The real question here is should we bet with our heads or our hearts? Despite thumping the Aussies in their opening game the Germans haven't actually been all that impressive so far. Podolski & Klose are not exactly in top form, Cacau is out injured & Schweinsteiger is a major injury doubt as well. If ever there was a time for us to beat the Germans in a major tournament this is it. The result against Slovenia was a minor injustice to our performance imo & just maybe we're hitting form at just the right time. I think it's gonna be tight & you can never rule out the possibility of extra time & penalties. I will be backing England to sneak it in 90 minutes but there are some good prices about if you fancy either side to win it on penalties. Plus England will be playing in red again & we always seem to play better against the Germans when in red.

Best Bets

England to win 2-1 (90 mins) @ 10/1
    England to win by exactly 1 goal (90 mins) @ 11/4
    England to win on penalties @ 9/1
    Germany to win on penalties @ 9/1 (one for the non England supporting Scots & general sadists out there!)
    1st Goalscorer - Wayne Rooney @ 5/1 (sooner or later he's gonna get one & this is a big price)
    Number of penalties taken - 9 or less @ 11/10 (bets are void if match doesn't go to penalties)

Argentina Vs Mexico

Argentina are favourites to get through this but it would be foolish to write off the Mexicans. We all know they can play a bit & the Argies can be a little suspect at the back at times so the 5/1 on offer for a Mexican win in 90 minutes shouldn't be dismissed. If they can find their shooting boots then they're capable of springing a surprise in this one. Having said all that I suspect that the Argies will be the ones going on to the quarter finals though as they've certainly got goals in them. Messi is yet to get off the mark but he's getting closer & should be worth a punt on getting the first here. I fancy it's gonna be another close game here & I wouldn't rule out the possibility of extra time.

Best Bets

Argentina to win in extra time @ 10/1
    Argentina to win 1-0 (90 mins) @ 9/2
    1st Goalscorer - Lionel Messi @ 3/1

Holland Vs Slovakia

The Dutch go into this game as big favourites & despite Slovakia surprising Italy in their final group game I think it'll be the end of the road for them here. Holland topped their group by winning all 3 games & I think they'll be too strong for the Slovaks. Van Persie, who was my pick for top goalscorer, finally got off the mark against Cameroon & he'll be worth looking at in the 1st goalscorer market for this one. Before the tournament began I thought we'd see a Holland/Brazil quarter final game & I've no reason to believe otherwise now.

Best Bets

Holland to win 2-0 (90 mins) @ 9/2
    To score 2+ goals (90 mins) - Holland @ 8/11
    1st Goalscorer - Robin Van Persie @ 3/1 (Huntelaar @ 5/1 is also worth a look)

Brazil Vs Chile

Chile looked good in the group stages & only missed out on topping the group in the final game. Unfortunately this is where their journey ends. They finished runners up to Brazil in qualifying & the Brazilians were the only nation to beat them home & away in that campaign (0-3 in Chile & 4-2 in Brazil). Kaka returns for Brazil in this game too & I think we could be in for a few goals as well.

Best Bets

Brazil to win (90 mins) @ 1/2
    Brazil to win 3-1 (90 mins) @ 14/1
    HT result - Brazil @ evens
    Over 2.5 goals @ 11/10
    To score 3+ goals (90 mins) - Brazil @ 5/2
    1st Goalscorer - Kaka @ 7/1 (Luis Fabiano @ 7/2 is also worth a look)
    To score in both halves - Brazil @ 6/4

Enjoy the game today & happy betting peeps
  • edited June 2010
    OK, I'll admit I was betting more with my heart than my head earlier but Jesus.................

In this day & age things like that just shouldn't ever happen & I honestly believe that if the goal was rightly given we would've gone on to win the game. As it was we were chasing & it was inevitable that the Germans would get another one (or 2 as it happens).

From here on in I will be fully supporting the Dutch as I've got money on them.
  • edited June 2010
    So far so good. Holland have done their part for me today so now I just need Brazil to nab the win in 90 minutes for an 11/10 double to come in.

On to tomorrows games & they're not easy to call.

Paraguay Vs Japan

Two teams who have surprised me in this tournament. I expected Paraguay to narrowly miss out on getting out of their group & I really couldn't see Japan getting anything whatsoever, but then again this whole tournament has been full of surprises. This is only the 2nd time Japan have gone beyond the group stage & the first time outside of their own country. Back in 2002 when they co-hosted with South Korea they narrowly lost 1-0 against Turkey at this stage & I think Paraguay are likely to be too strong for them this time. Paraguay were goal shy against New Zealand in their final group game but they do have players who are capable of hitting the net. I fancy it's gonna be a close game & any extra time bets might even be worth considering too.

Best Bets

To qualify - Paraguay @ 8/13 (they're 11/10 to win it in 90 minutes which might also be worth a look)
    Paraguay to win in extra time @ 8/1
    To win either half - Japan @ 11/8

Spain Vs Portugal

After losing their opening game against the Swiss, Spain have started to look a bit better. Portugal have shown they've got goals in them with their 7-0 demolition of North Korea in the group stage but they struggled to get goals against stronger opposition when they came up against Ivory Coast & Brazil (although in fairness they knew 1 point against Brazil was enough to take them through). This game is either gonna be a classic or a bore draw & I wouldn't rule out seeing extra time & maybe even penalties here. Having said that backing Spain to win in 90 minutes @ evens simply cannot be ignored when you look at just how much firepower they've got in their squad (on paper at least)

Best Bets

Spain to win (90 mins) @ evens
    Spain to win 2-1 (90 mins) @ 9/1
    Over 2.5 goals (90 mins) @ 6/4
    To score & win (90 mins) - David Villa @ 5/4
    Total corners (90 mins) - Over 11 @ 7/4

As I finish writing this Brazil are 2-0 up & my double is looking good.

Happy betting peeps

EDIT: - The double of Paraguay & Spain just to qualify is currently paying 5/4 & that's got to be worth a shout
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown : After much deliberating I decided against anything for tonight. Just watch the game and enjoy it for once!
    Posted by silentbob
    I thought that tonight for Brazil game and what a suprise 3-0 . Ive had 3-0 to the favourites for the last 4 games. This World Cup is turning into a nightmare.

Got £25 on Spain HT-FT tommorow at 5/2. I,m putting it on here as the last bet i put on here (Denmark and Bentdner to score) won, so hopefully it will be lucky for me.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown : I thought that tonight for Brazil game and what a suprise 3-0 . Ive had 3-0 to the favourites for the last 4 games. This World Cup is turning into a nightmare. Got £25 on Spain HT-FT tommorow at 5/2. I,m putting it on here as the last bet i put on here (Denmark and Bentdner to score) won, so hopefully it will be lucky for me.
    Posted by MP33
    As long as Spain start the same way they did against Chile then that looks good. I've gone for the Paraguay/Spain double @ 5/4 for now & might even do 1 or 2 more on the Spain game when I get home from work tomorrow
  • edited June 2010
    Paraguay have done their bit for me so now I just need Spain not to choke tonight for another payout.

As a side note, I couldn't resist a cheeky 60p bet on Villa to get the 1st goal & Spain to win 3-1 tonight. It's paying 60/1.
  • edited June 2010
    Paraguay have done their bit for me so now I just need Spain not to choke tonight for another payout. As a side note, I couldn't resist a cheeky 60p bet on Villa to get the 1st goal & Spain to win 3-1 tonight. It's paying 60/1.
    Posted by silentbob
    not looking good - I had a sneaky quid on it as Willy hills had it on their "enhanced odds" screen earlier at 66/1