You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown

124»

Comments

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown:
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown : 1 VERY Long shot scorecast - Muller 1st goal & Germany win 3-2 @ 135/1 Did you back this Jay? I had £2 on 3-3 at 64/1, as well as a cpl of quid on Forlan for Golden boot. Absolutely GUTTED (last kick of the game and i thought he,s done it again ) and if Spain don,t win tommorow I think i,m gonna give footbll betting a miss for a while
    Posted by MP33
    Unfortunately not. Pez's post made me decide to sit back & enjoy the game without fretting about whether my bet's are coming in or not, DOH!

Never mind, I'll be having a few quid dotted around for tonight's game that's for sure
  • edited July 2010
    63 games have been played & we're now left with the final two, & I'm not convinced it'll all be one way traffic as most people seem to be making out.

Holland Vs Spain

Before their quarter final meeting with Brazil I said that being the underdogs in that match could well work in Holland's favour & I was right. I backed them at the start of the tournament & I'm not gonna desert them now. If they're gonna win a world cup final at the 3rd attempt then they're gonna have to beat one of the best teams in the world right now. Spain go into this match as strong favourites but at times they've made it hard work for themselves getting there. They lost their opening game against Switzerland & at times I felt they struggled against Paraguay in their quarter final meeting. Just like Brazil, they're not unbeatable & the pressure is all on them now. On a side note, don't forget that no team has ever gone on to win the trophy having lost their opening game either.

It does make you wonder though just how many goals Spain could've scored had Torres been in form? Going into this game we have a straight fight for the golden boot with David Villa & Wesley Sneijder both tied on 5 goals each & that could make for some interesting markets. For the last few Spanish games now I've been going on about Alonso getting the first goal & he came really close with a couple of efforts in their semi. You can back him to score anytime in the 90 @ 6/1 but personally I think it's better to back him each way for the 1st goal again at 18/1. By doing this you'll get a bigger payout if he does get the first goal but you also get 6/1 if he gets any of the 1st 5 goals (& as I can't see there being more than 5 goals in 90 minutes you're essentially getting the same price as backing him to score in the 90).

This has been a tournament of surprises & upsets & with that in mind I'm going against the flow & backing Holland to edge it in a close battle, although I don't blame anyone for backing Spain either.

Best Bets

Handicapped betting (90 mins) - Holland (+1) to win @ 8/11
    Correct score (90 mins) - Holland to win 2-1 @ 14/1
    HT/FT - DRAW/HOLLAND @ 15/2
    Long shot HT/FT - SPAIN/HOLLAND @ 33/1 (remember the Dutch were behind to Brazil in the quarters)
    Under/Over (90 mins) - Over 2.5 goals @ 6/4
    1st Goal scorer - Xabi Alonso @ 18/1 (back him e/w for this)
    Both players to score - Sneijder & Villa @ 15/2
    Bouncebackability - Holland to come from behind & win @ 14/1
    Long shot scorecast (90 mins) - Sneijder 1st goal & Holland win 2-1 @ 75/1
    VERY Long shot scorecast (90 mins) - Alonso 1st goal & Holland win 2-1 @ 350/1
    Player to be carded (90 mins) - Mark Van Bommel @ 8/11
    1st player carded (90 mins) - Mark Van Bommel @ 6/1
    1st player carded (90 mins) - Nigel De Jong @ 9/1
    Last goalscorer (extra time & penalties INCLUDED) - Dirk Kuyt @ 9/1
    To win either half - Holland @ 13/8

Happy betting peeps. It'll be back to normal in just under 4 weeks time when the footy season returns.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown:
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown : Unfortunately not. Pez's post made me decide to sit back & enjoy the game without fretting about whether my bet's are coming in or not, DOH! Never mind, I'll be having a few quid dotted around for tonight's game that's for sure
    Posted by silentbob
    ouch!!! sorry mate :(
  • edited July 2010
    A quick question as i can't seem to find a definite answer on what sky do in this circumstance.

Top scorer market -

Four players currently tied on 5 goals...

Two to play in the final -

I backed Wesley £10 EW pre tournament @ 100/1

Now what happens if David or Wesley don't score tonight does anyone know ? I had a quick google and heard the odds are slashed depending on the amount of top scorers - is this true ?
  • edited July 2010
    Think you pick up 1/4 of a "win" with the four being tied

Plus your E/W of course

Nice pick, lets hope Villa doesn't score tonight eh
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah i just found it on sky FAQ

Says if top two are joint then a dead heat and half your stake @ the odds of bet.

So i'm thinking 1/4 of £5 @ 100/1 = £125 + the £200 i have locked up for the EW bet...

Diablo a better result would just be Wesley to score no ;P and villa not to off course !

I might have a bash on villa though and try even something out a little.

• edited July 2010
    Yeah i just found it on sky FAQ Says if top two are joint then a dead heat and half your stake @ the odds of bet. So i'm thinking 1/4 of £5 @ 100/1 = £125 + the £200 i have locked up for the EW bet... Diablo a better result would just be Wesley to score no ;P and villa not to off course ! I might have a bash on villa though and try even something out a little.
    Posted by Nutter5932
    Yeah...go on then...I'll take that too as i'm on the Dutch @ 12/1 :)

You could do with finding a Villa/Sneijder match bet if you want to lay some off

*Edit* I make your "win" £2.50 @ 100/1 if a 4-way tie
  • edited July 2010
    lol....

Yeah your actually correct my brain is still fired a little from jet leg.

£450 aint so bad but i'll take the £1200 though.

Lets hope we both win eh
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown : Yeah...go on then...I'll take that too as i'm on the Dutch @ 12/1 :)You could do with finding a Villa/Sneijder match bet if you want to lay some off *Edit* I make your "win" £2.50 @ 100/1 if a 4-way tie
    Posted by diablo_pez
    It's 15/2 for them both to score in 90 minutes if that's any good?
  • edited July 2010
    Congratulations to Spain. This really has been a world cup of firsts.

First time it's been held in Africa
    First time the host nation hasn't got past the first round
    First time winners in Spain
    And not forgetting, Spain are the first nation to win the trophy after losing their first game
  • edited July 2010

1st European team to win outside Europe ?
       WP silentbob you had a gg throughout the tournie mate
           Appreciate all the info
        Congrats Spain just cost me a fair few quid but deserved winners

• edited July 2010
    Cheers for all the info Bob - Been a great thread

Had a bad first couple of weeks but managed to get money back after backing Holland to get to final and Spain to win pre tournament.

As others have said,  thouroughly deserved winners 
  • edited July 2010
    Cheers guys

TBH, had I not had money on Holland I would've been supporting Spain after our own demise cos they were by far the best team out there.

Now roll on to next month when the proper footy returns & we've got more opportunities to make some more money!