You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown

Comments

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown:
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown : not looking good - I had a sneaky quid on it as Willy hills had it on their "enhanced odds" screen earlier at 66/1
    Posted by MP33
    Well we got the 1st goalscorer bit right!

More importantly though is that's another payout for me today.
  • edited July 2010
    After 2 days rest we're back to the football with the first 2 quarter finals tomorrow & I think we could be in for a real treat.

Holland Vs Brazil

I said before the tournament began that this game was always likely to happen & that the winner will go all the way. I still believe that's the case. Most people will be backing Brazil for this & it's not difficult to see why as they are without doubt one of the best teams we've seen at this tournament. However, too many people seem to be writing Holland off & I think that could work to their advantage. Brazil are not unbeatable & the Dutch are capable of giving as good as they get. This could (& imo should) be one of the all time classic world cup games & I fancy this one may go the distance. I think we'll see extra time at the very least & as I backed Holland to win the tournament I'm gonna back them to get through this game one way or another.

Best Bets

To Qualify - Holland @ 13/8
    Match result (90 mins) - DRAW @ 11/5
    Correct score (90 mins) - 2-2 @ 18/1
    Over 2.5 goals @ 11/10
    1st goalscorer - Arjen Robben @ 10/1
    Both players to score - Arjen Robben & Luis Fabiano @ 11/1
    Long shot scorecast (90 mins) - Robben 1st goal & 2-2 draw @ 165/1

Uruguay Vs Ghana

Two teams who I expected to go out in the group stages are still here! This is gonna be another close game & we may even see extra time here as well. Once again Uruguay will be looking to Forlan & Suarez for their goals but they will come up against a Ghana side who have the support of an entire continent as they are the last African nation left standing. They looked good against USA in the last round & probably should have had that game wrapped up long before going to extra time. They finally showed that they do have goals in them but I fancy Uruguay to pinch a semi final spot this time round.

Best Bets

To Qualify - Uruguay @ 4/9 (they're evens to win in 90 minutes if you fancy it)
    Match result (90 mins) - DRAW @ 9/4
    Correct score (90 mins) - 1-1 @ 11/2
    HT/FT (90 mins) - GHANA/DRAW @ 16/1
    Uruguay to win in extra time @ 8/1
    To score in 90 minutes - Luis Suarez @ 11/8
    Long shot scorecast (90 mins) - Kevin Prince Boateng 1st goal & 1-1 draw @ 95/1

The double for Holland & Uruguay to qualify is currently paying 11/4 & I think that's got to be worth a look.

Happy betting peeps
  • edited July 2010
    Hands up if you had money on Brazil today.

Just need Uruguay to get past Ghana tonight for another payout & then it's Holland all the way to the final
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Who to back? Who to avoid? Well here's my world cup betting lowdown:
    Hands up if you had money on Brazil today. Just need Uruguay to get past Ghana tonight for another payout & then it's Holland all the way to the final
    Posted by silentbob
    I left this one alone as I already have Netherlands to get to the final at 4/1. looking good now, but it could have been us playing them in semis if things had turned out differently

Also looking good for Spain now. Got £25 on at various prices to win it . it would be ironic after losing first match to switzerland

Tonight i,ve gone for A pereira to score in 90mins at 21/1, (as tipped in Ladbrokes to score 1st in last game by a certain Trevor Harris) - If your a bit sneaky you could just put Pereira to score on a betting slip in the bookies and leave it as there  is also M pereira in same team. 
  • edited July 2010

Ive no idea how they managed it, but the Uuguayans pulled through again tonight !!

1 more match against the Dutch and I'm guarenteed the pay out of 100 divided by 4 = 25 x 5 = £130 return!! = free-rolling for £635!

Suarez banned for the semi - but I'd much rather be facing Holland than Brazil!
  • edited July 2010
    Ive no idea how they managed it, but the Uuguayans pulled through again tonight !! 1 more match against the Dutch and I'm guarenteed the pay out of 100 divided by 4 = 25 x 5 = £130 return!! = free-rolling for £635! Suarez banned for the semi - but I'd much rather be facing Holland than Brazil!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    From a football stance rather than a betting one, I'm gutted - disgusting cheating from Suarez
  • edited July 2010
    Good Work Dohhhhhhh, fingers crossed for you.
  • edited July 2010
    haha are u serious??? - what else cud he do?

I didn't think about looking at it like that.....

Nowhere near as bad as alot of things you see though, he got caught and punished after all - the bloke just bottled it.
  • edited July 2010
    If it was an English player we,d all be praising him (apart from the Scots on here)

I had  fiver on Uruguay at 4/1 at half time (in 90 mins) and was looking good when they equelised but they never carried that momentum on and I  found myself supporting Ghana by the end

At least Uruguay shouldn,t be as fresh as the Dutch for the semis and with Suarez out hopefully my tennner on the Dutch getting to the final is looking good. Just need Spain to join them now.

Will you be laying off some off your  bet Dohhhhh against the Dutch or are you gonna ride it out? 
  • edited July 2010

Nah It's only a tenner I've laid out innit, so might as well go all out for the win, more exciting that way.

Could do with the win after a brutal month playing cards - I think the poker gods had something to do with that last minute penalty hitting the bar - it's fate! - The tide is turning!

Big worry what half of the Uruguayan team is banned for the semi tho - 1 man team now, c'mon DIEGO !!
  • edited July 2010
    Nah It's only a tenner I've laid out innit, so might as well go all out for the win, more exciting that way. Could do with the win after a brutal month playing cards - I think the poker gods had something to do with that last minute penalty hitting the bar - it's fate! - The tide is turning! Big worry what half of the Uruguayan team is banned for the semi tho - 1 man team now, c'mon DIEGO !!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    THAT!!!

• edited July 2010
    I only managed to catch extra time in last nights game but, WOW!!! What a finish. To be fair I think I would've done the same as Suarez & there'd be no complaints had Gyan scored the resulting penalty (except from me cos it would've cost me money, lol).

Anyhow, on to today's games & the first one is a bit of a tough call.

Argentina Vs Germany

These two met 4 years ago & on that occasion the Germans went through on penalties (no surprises there then!). In fact, this will be the 6th meeting between the two teams in the finals & so far the Argies have only won once, which was in the final in 1986. In my opinion, in the 2 games where the Germans have looked really good this tournament they've been helped by the opposition. Australia were awful in the opening game & we need no reminding of what happened against England. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Argies are going all out to win their games, attacking right from the off & it's for this reason that I think they'll prevail here today. If nothing else, the one thing that England did show in their meeting with Germany, is that when you attack them they are capable of being broken down. With Higuain & Tevez already off the mark & Messi chomping at the bit to get off the mark I think it'll be our Argentinian friends in the semi come Wednesday night. I'll be backing them to take it down in 90 minutes but it might be worth looking at the extra time & penalties markets for this as well.

Best Bets

Argentina to win (90 mins) @ 13/10 
    Argentina to qualify @ 4/7
    Argentina to win 2-0 (90 mins) @ 9/1
    To score 2+ goals (90 mins) - Argentina @ 11/8
    1st Goalscorer - Lionel Messi @ 9/2
    Repeat of 4 years ago - Germany to win on penalties @ 10/1
    Long shot scorecast - Carlos Tevez 1st goal & Argentina win 3-1 (90 mins) @ 85/1

Paraguay Vs Spain

This is the first time Paraguay have ever made it this far at the finals & sadly for them it'll be where their tournament ends. In their 4 games so far they've only conceded one goal which was against Italy in their opening game. However, their downfall will be their scoring record. They've managed 3 goals so far & not one of them has come from their front men. Spain are capable of getting goals & are fairly solid defensively as well so I expect them to progress within the 90 minutes here. Many people are backing a big win for the Spanish but if there's one thing Paraguay have shown they're good at, it's keeping teams at bay. With that in mind it might be worth backing the draw at half time but Spain should be too strong for Paraguay & will break them down sooner or later.

Best Bets

Spain to win (90 mins) @ 4/9
    Handicapped betting (90 mins) - Spain (-1) @ 11/8
    Spain to win 2-0 (90 mins) @ 9/2
    HT/FT (90 mins) - DRAW/SPAIN @ 11/4
    Win to Nil (90 mins) - Spain @ evens
    To score 2+ goals (90 mins) - Spain @ 4/5
    Half time result - DRAW @ evens
    Long shot scorecast - Xabi Alonso 1st goal & Spain win 2-0 @ 55/1

I'll definitely be backing Argentina & Spain to get the job done in 90 minutes & the double is currently paying 23/10

Here's to another winning day & happy betting peeps
  • edited July 2010
    One more long shot double for today:

Argentina & Spain both to win 2-0 @ 54/1

Gotta be worth a quid, surely?
  • edited July 2010
    2-1 Argentina & 3-0 Spain, pays 99/1

GL all, especially me :)
  • edited July 2010
    Errrrr............

I'm speechless. Where did that come from? 

• edited July 2010
    When are teams going to learn not to take the game to Germany?
  • edited July 2010
    Well let's just hope that Spain can turn 'em over on Wednesday (assuming Paraguay don't cause another shock tonight)

• edited July 2010
    I was thinking same as you MP 33, that Doohhhh might be better off , laying off most of that bet.
  • edited July 2010
    It's semi final time peeps & I'm hoping for a couple of cracking games.

Uruguay Vs Holland

How are Uruguay still in this competition? In fairness they've played well & got a couple of lucky breaks but their quest for gold should end here in Cape Town. Uruguay ain't quite down to the bare bones but they are missing a couple of key players. Most notably is star man Luis Suarez (suspended), defender Jorge Ciro Fucile (also suspended) & midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro (broken foot) whilst captain Diego Lugano is an injury doubt. They should've got past Ghana in 90 minutes when the momentum was with them & very nearly paid the price for not doing so. They come up against a Dutch side whose biggest opponent here will be complacency. As long as they maintain the concentration & determination they've shown so far in the competition they should be in the final come Sunday & I fully expect them to be there. Midfielder Nigel De Jong & defender Gregory Van Der Wiel are suspended but other than that Holland have a fully fit squad to choose from. Even with Uruguay missing key players I expect them to make things difficult for the Dutch but I think an orange victory in 90 minutes is the one to back.

Best Bets

Holland to win (90 minutes) @ 8/13
    Handicapped betting (90 minutes) - Holland to win (-1) @ 15/8
    Holland to win 2-0 (90 minutes) @ 6/1
    HT/FT (90 mins) - DRAW/HOLLAND @ 3/1
    To score 2+ goals (90 mins) - Holland @ evens
    To score & win (90 mins) - Wesley Sneijder @ 21/10
    Team most booking points - Uruguay @ 4/5
    Long shot scorecast (90 mins) - Wesley Sneijder 1st goal & Holland win 2-0 @ 28/1 

Germany Vs Spain

This is gonna be a close call & there's arguments for backing either side but I fancy Spain to get through this. These two met 2 years ago in the European Championship final where Spain came out on top with a narrow 1-0 win. The Germans surprised me with the way they took Argentina apart in their quarter final game but part of the reason for that was because of the way the Argies tried taking the game to them. This time they're up against a well organised & well drilled Spanish team who will provide them with a much sterner test. There's no concrete team news yet although Thomas Muller will miss out through suspension for Germany. The Germans also have a few injury doubts to defender Arne Friedrich, midfielder Sami Khedira & striker Cacau. As far as I can see Spain have a full squad to choose from so should pose more of a threat than Germany's previous opposition. This game could easily go the distance so it's a bigger risk to back either team to win it in the 90 but there are some decent prices about for the win in normal time if you fancy it.

Best Bets

Spain to win (90 mins) @ 13/8
    To qualify - Spain @ 4/5
    Correct score (90 mins) - Spain to win 2-1 @ 9/1
    HT/FT (90 mins) - DRAW/SPAIN @ 5/1
    Spain to win in extra time @ 11/1
    Over 2.5 goals (90 mins) @ 11/10
    To score 2+ goals (90 mins) - Spain @ 13/8
    Half with most goals - 2nd half @ 11/10
    To score in 90 minutes - Mesut Ozil @ 5/1
    1st goalscorer - David Villa @ 4/1
    Long shot scorecast (90 mins) - David Villa 1st goal & Spain win 2-1 @ 28/1
    VERY Long shot scorecast (90 mins) - Xabi Alonso 1st goal & Spain win 2-1 @ 155/1 (he's got a good long range shot on him & he's gone close on a couple of occasions)

I'm definitely backing the double of Holland to win in 90 minutes & Spain to qualify which is paying 19/10

On a side note, assuming Holland don't get complacent & balls it up, I'll be getting some sort of payout on my each way bet on Holland to win it.

Happy betting peeps
  • edited July 2010
    I've also decided to have a fiver each on correct scores of 2-1 to Holland (17/2) & 2-0 to Holland (11/2).
  • edited July 2010
    And there we have it peeps, down to the final 2. 

Thanks to Spain winning tonight my double came through as well. This world cup is turning out to be fairly profitable for me & I've now nearly recovered all my poker losses from last month.

My pre tourney picks are still in & will hopefully scoop me the lot rather than just the each way part. 

Also, gotta say unlucky to JJ with his bet on Uruguay. They certainly made the Dutch work for their win last night (although tbh, I expected that).
  • edited July 2010
    come on holland. have them in the sure sweep stake so already won £25 quid but if the o on to win world cup it will be £50
  • edited July 2010
    I was thinking same as you MP 33, that Doohhhh might be better off , laying off most of that bet.
    Posted by TORTUS007
    Probably wish he had done now, but I had £30 on Germany as I get about £170 if Spain win the Cup. Wish I hadn,t bothered now as I could have used it to put on Holland in the final.

Ive had to put another £25 on Holland to win cup at 7/4, but still hope and think Spain will come through. (It was mainly after watching Barca this season that i originally went for Spain as the heart of the team is similar, and have also been impressed at their temperment. I think least bookings of all the countries

One bet I will be doing in the final is Van Bommel to get booked or sent off. If things start going wrong for the Dutch will they be able to keep their heads and after watching him in last 2 games ive never seen someone foul so much ( and i,m sure the refs will have noticed that as well)
  • edited July 2010

Have to agree about Van Bommel he has been getting away with murder the full tournement
  • edited July 2010
    It's the penultimate game of the tournament tomorrow night & I reckon it could turn out to be a decent game.

Uruguay Vs Germany

Uruguay have without doubt been one of the surprise packages of this tournament. I fully expected them to be going home at the end of the group games but not only did they top their group but they now find themselves fighting for a 3rd place finish. They come up against a German side who have scored the most goals so far this tournament & they could end up with a few more here if Uruguay decide they want to go all out for the win. Luis Suarez returns up front alongside (presumably) Diego Forlan so they've got goals in them too. Miroslav Klose just needs one more goal to equal Ronaldo's all time record for goals scored at the finals so he's definitely a good shout to get the scoring underway here (this is assuming he's fit to play but then again, how many times have the Germans had "injury doubts" before games in this tournament only for them to play?). I think Germany will repeat their feat of 4 years ago & finish the tournament in 3rd place.

Best Bets

Germany to win (90 mins) @ 8/11
    Correct score (90 mins) - Germany to win 3-1 @ 12/1
    HT/FT (90 mins) - DRAW/GERMANY @ 7/2
    1st half over/under - Over 1.5 goals @ 13/8
    Over 2.5 goals (90 mins) @ 4/6
    Both teams to score 1st half @ 10/3
    To score 2+ goals (90 mins) - Uruguay @ 21/10 (they did it against Holland and have the potential to surprise again here as well)
    1st Goal scorer - Miroslav Klose @ 4/1
    To score in 90 minutes - Luis Suarez @ 3/1
    Both players to score - Miroslav Klose & Thomas Muller @ 15/2
    Both players to score - Diego Forlan & Luis Suarez @ 16/1 (bit of a long shot but that's a big price considering they've got 7 goals between them so far)
    Long shot scorecast - Klose 1st goal & Germany win 3-1 @ 35/1
    VERY Long shot scorecast - Muller 1st goal & Germany win 3-2 @ 135/1

Hopefully this will be a great warm up for the main event on Sunday night

Happy betting peeps
  • edited July 2010
    Never bet on friendlies....or 3rd place play-offs!
  • edited July 2010
    Paul the Octopus has picked Spain......That is all.
  • edited July 2010
    Stick a few squid on Spain then....
  • edited July 2010
    1 VERY Long shot scorecast - Muller 1st goal & Germany win 3-2 @ 135/1

Did you back this Jay?

I had £2 on 3-3 at 64/1, as well as a cpl of quid on Forlan for Golden boot. Absolutely GUTTED (last kick of the game and i thought he,s done it again ) and if Spain don,t win tommorow I think i,m gonna give footbll betting a miss for a while